Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5088Likes

post #5971 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I just purchased my first OLED TV (Sony A9G) and am getting delivery Tuesday and I am considering getting this player even though I have the Oppo 4K player. The reason is because I saw from a YouTube video that It has a setting under Dolby Vision in the menu to select OLED TV. From reading some of the post's in A9G forum about the dimness of Dolby Vision on there TV I was wondering if this DV setting might help with that. Also I know Panasonic came out with the UB9000 model and its there premium player with higher end audio features but is the video output the same on the UB820 as the UB9000? From what I could tell from some of the YouTube videos it appears to be the same.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
No I read on another forum a key Panasonic vendor was told by them no replacements through 2020 at least
Thx for replying. Are you sure this panasonic vendor is a reliable source? They have released a successor to the UB420, and carrying the high end models 820 and 9000 through 3 years would be strange and generally doesn't happen. If they do keep the same model, can the 820 be expected to drop in price by mid next year? Not counting deals or discounts but official price reduction. Im comfortable paying upto 350 dollars for it, seeing that it has limited usb playback capability and no built in sacd player.
post #5973 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I just purchased my first OLED TV (Sony A9G) and am getting delivery Tuesday and I am considering getting this player even though I have the Oppo 4K player. The reason is because I saw from a YouTube video that It has a setting under Dolby Vision in the menu to select OLED TV. From reading some of the post's in A9G forum about the dimness of Dolby Vision on there TV I was wondering if this DV setting might help with that. Also I know Panasonic came out with the UB9000 model and its there premium player with higher end audio features but is the video output the same on the UB820 as the UB9000? From what I could tell from some of the YouTube videos it appears to be the same.
9000 and 820 share same video processing features except the 9000 includes a lower setting nits mode for projectors to set nits at 350 to optimize HDR performance for your display . The lowest nits setting for the 820 is 500 nits. This 350 nits feature is probably only beneficial to projector owner due to the low light output projectors produce.

The Sony A9G is capable of producing 824 nits in standard mode and 650 in Movie mode, so you would not need the 9000 to lower the target nits setting to 350 since the 500 nits target on the 820 would be suitable for your display. You could even test the 1000 nits target on the 820 to see how it looks with your television.

The 9000 also included some picture modes for JVC true 4k projectors that you wouldn't use. The Panasonic 820 has Dolby Vision . I would test out the HDR picture quality of your Oppo 205 with your new TV before investing in an 820. I am sure you could sell the Oppo 205 for much more than you paid but you probably bought it for SACD and some of the other audiophile features. I had an Oppo 203. I sold it after testing the 820 with my projector for about a month. I liked the 820 better with my projector. Your experience may vary.

The HDR optimizer on the Panasonic UHD players has been the main selling point along with excellent bluray upscale to 4k conversion and excellent picture quality for both SDR and HDR content.

This is good review of your new Sony A9G.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1559897568

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
mt14942 and Panson like this.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 10-18-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5974 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by derder View Post
Alright guys, update of this saga....

I did a factory reset. and turned SDR/HDR conv. to OFF

now I got it to output 2060p for Netflix... woohoo...

but.... now it doesn't output Dolby [email protected][email protected]!

before this Netflix can output Atmos. Not even my HUD Blu-ray doesn't out out Dolby Atmos on my Denon 6500H.

what on earth is happening?! this is prob my last time I am buying a Pana bluray. my old Oppo was issue free for 5 yrs

any ideas?

Pana HDMI setting:
video format: Auto
4k Output: 4k (50/60p) 4:2:0
24p Output: Auto
Dolby Vision: On
HDR10+: On

If you performed a factory reset, then the 4K Output setting would be reset to default value: 4:2:0. Netflix won't output HDR when it is set to 4:2:0. Don't ask why, it might be a bug. Instead it will output an SDR version; perhaps the 1080P version upscaled to 4K. If so, you won't get Atmos as it is only available with the 4K version.

So make sure you have 4K Output set to 4:4:4.

When you bring up a title that should be HDR and Atmos, does Netflix show the HDR and Atmos labels?
Bytehoven likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #5975 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unhappy

Quote:

before this Netflix can output Atmos. Not even my HUD Blu-ray doesn't out out Dolby Atmos on my Denon 6500H.

what on earth is happening?! this is prob my last time I am buying a Pana bluray. my old Oppo was issue free for 5 yrs

any ideas?
I don't have any solution to this problem but thought that I would chime in because I'm having the same problem as you in that I can't get 4K output from the 820 connected to my Denon AVR X8500H. I do get Atmos but only 1080P video and the movies and show headings no longer indicate 4K UHD as available. I have no problem getting 4K from the Amazon Prime video app on this player. My workaround is now to stream Netflix from my TV's Netflix app and I can get 4K video that way. I have contacted Netflix to see if they have any suggestions to fix this issue and they weren't able to fix it but said they would "open a ticket" for further review because my case is the only time they have heard of this issue. You may want to contact Netflix and advise them that you are having this issue also.

Samsung Q90R 82" TV, Denon AVR-X8500H, Panasonic Blu-ray DP-UB820, Klipsch RP-280F L/R, Klipsch RP-450CA center, Klipsch RP-600M L&R surround, Klipsch RP-502S L&R rear surround, Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos front heights, Axiom QS8's as rear height speakers, SVS PB-16 Ultra and SVS PC+ subs. Currently set up as a 7.2.4 sound system.
post #5976 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Racer View Post
I don't have any solution to this problem but thought that I would chime in because I'm having the same problem as you in that I can't get 4K output from the 820 connected to my Denon AVR X8500H. I do get Atmos but only 1080P video and the movies and show headings no longer indicate 4K UHD as available. I have no problem getting 4K from the Amazon Prime video app on this player. My workaround is now to stream Netflix from my TV's Netflix app and I can get 4K video that way. I have contacted Netflix to see if they have any suggestions to fix this issue and they weren't able to fix it but said they would "open a ticket" for further review because my case is the only time they have heard of this issue. You may want to contact Netflix and advise them that you are having this issue also.
The only time they heard of the issue . On that phone call maybe. Sorry to hear of your issues. All you can do is keep trying.

Robbie Racer likes this.
post #5977 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

any ideas?
Not to poke the bear but did your Oppo have streaming apps . I know my 203 did not. Probably because Oppo knew they were exiting the player business and didn't want emails about apps not working properly.

post #5978 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
9000 and 820 share same video processing features except the 9000 includes a lower setting nits mode for projectors to set nits at 350 to optimize HDR performance for your display . The lowest nits setting for the 820 is 500 nits. This 350 nits feature is probably only beneficial to projector owner due to the low light output projectors produce.

The Sony A9G is capable of producing 824 nits in standard mode and 650 in Movie mode, so you would not need the 9000 to lower the target nits setting to 350 since the 500 nits target on the 820 would be suitable for your display. You could even test the 1000 nits target on the 820 to see how it looks with your television.

The 9000 also included some picture modes for JVC true 4k projectors that you wouldn't use. The Panasonic 820 has Dolby Vision . I would test out the HDR picture quality of your Oppo 205 with your new TV before investing in an 820. I am sure you could sell the Oppo 205 for much more than you paid but you probably bought it for SACD and some of the other audiophile features. I had an Oppo 203. I sold it after testing the 820 with my projector for about a month. I liked the 820 better with my projector. Your experience may vary.

The HDR optimizer on the Panasonic UHD players has been the main selling point along with excellent bluray upscale to 4k conversion and excellent picture quality for both SDR and HDR content.

This is good review of your new Sony A9G.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1559897568

Thanks for your quick response Skylarlove and for sending that link for the A9G review. I have a cd by Skylar Grey I'm sure just coincidence. I may consider selling the Oppo 205 and would be happy to get what I paid for it. I purchased it from BB/Magnolia just before Oppo decided to stop making the 203 & 205. The reason being is that I still have a Denon A1UDCI universal bluray player, but not 4K capable. which audio wise in my opinion is on par with the Oppo205. i actually prefer the sound of the A1UDCI as it sounded a bit warmer and richer with a wider sound stage where as the Oppo 205 was bit more brighter sounding and in your face, if that makes any sense, but it may present a little more detail. Coincidentally I wound up exchanging the first Panasonic 4K player they came out which was more expensive than the UB820 and considered an audiophile 4K player. Best Buy gave me full credit toward the purchase of the Oppo 205. I probably couldn't sell the A1 for more than 10% of what I paid for it which was over $2000.00, because it's a considerably older Universal 4K player that probably not many people would be familiar with or would pay that much. I will take your advice about testing the Oppo 205 for how HDR/Dolby Vision looks, as this was the one complaint I have read from a number of poster on the A9G forum about Dolby Vision being dimmer than HDR 10. The Oppo 205 doesn't have a specific setting for OLED TV's like the 820 does which was what made me consider getting it. The Oppo has three setting choices under HDR/Dolby Vision which is; player led, TV led and auto, but auto has a bug in it right now. Choosing Player led would be best because Sony TV's need to have profile 5 sent from the player. Both the Panasonic 820 and the oppo can send profile 5 but the separate selection for Oled TV's that the Panasonic 820 has is what intrigued me. The HDR optimizer also sounds interesting so I will have to research that. With the Oppo 205 I have it so my Sony Z9D TV does the up-scaling for Bluray but they both do a good job with that and will probably do the same with the A9G as there processor is one of the biggest selling points for this TV.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro

Last edited by mt14942; 10-20-2019 at 03:59 AM.
post #5979 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your quick response Skylarlove and for sending that link for the A9G review. I have a cd by Skylar Grey I'm sure just coincidence. I may consider selling the Oppo 205 and would be happy to get what I paid for it. I purchased it from BB/Magnolia just before Oppo decided to stop making the 203 & 205. The reason being is that I still have a Denon A1UDCI universal bluray player, but not 4K capable. which audio wise in my opinion is on par with the Oppo205. i actually prefer the sound of the A1UDCI as it sounded a bit warmer and richer with a wider sound stage where as the Oppo 205 was bit more brighter sounding and in your face, if that makes any sense, but it may present a little more detail. Coincidentally I wound up exchanging the first Panasonic 4K player they came out which was more expensive than the UB820 and considered an audiophile 4K player. Best Buy gave me full credit toward the purchase of the Oppo 205. I probably couldn't sell the A1 for more than 10% of what I paid for it which was over $2000.00, because it's a considerably older Universal 4K player that probably not many people would be familiar with or would pay that much. I will take your advice about testing the Oppo 205 for how HDR/Dolby Vision looks, as this was the one complaint I have read from a number of poster on the A9G forum about Dolby Vision being dimmer than HDR 10. The Oppo 205 doesn't have a specific setting for OLED TV's like the 820 does which was what made me consider getting it. The Oppo has three setting choices under HDR/Dolby Vision which is; player led, TV led and auto, but auto has a bug in it right now. Choosing Player led would be best because Sony TV's need to have profile 5 sent from the player. Both the Panasonic 820 and the oppo can send profile 5 but the separate selection for Oled TV's that the Panasonic 820 has is what intrigued me. The HDR optimizer also sounds interesting so I will have to research that. With the Oppo 205 I have it so my Sony Z9D TV does the up-scaling for Bluray but they both do a good job with that and will probably to do the same with the A9G as there processor is one of the biggest selling points for this TV.
As you know best buy has a great return policy. Maybe try the 820 for a couple weeks and then decide what to do with the Oppo 205. You could sell it on US Audio Mart for $2K+. Since Oppo left the business the players now sell for way more. When discs have metadata, being able to tone map to the appropriate nits your display can produce is a great feature of the Panasonic. I don't have Dolby Vision on my projector so I cannot provide any feedback for the 820 regarding Dolby Vision but the professional reviews state it works well.

post #5980 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As you know best buy has a great return policy. Maybe try the 820 for a couple weeks and then decide what to do with the Oppo 205. You could sell it on US Audio Mart for $2K+. Since Oppo left the business the players now sell for way more. When discs have metadata, being able to tone map to the appropriate nits your display can produce is a great feature of the Panasonic. I don't have Dolby Vision on my projector so I cannot provide any feedback for the 820 regarding Dolby Vision but the professional reviews state it works well.

Thanks again, At least if you decide to upgrade your projector you will have a player that covers all the bases when it comes to HDR. I will most likely do as you suggest and since I am an elite member I will have 45 days to compare and If it is an improvement I most likely will sell the Oppo 205 and use my Denon A1UDCI universal player for cd, sacd, dvd-a and music blurays.
Bytehoven likes this.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #5981 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again, At least if you decide to upgrade your projector you will have a player that covers all the bases when it comes to HDR. I will most likely do as you suggest and since I am an elite member I will have 45 days to compare and If it is an improvement I most likely will sell the Oppo 205 and use my Denon A1UDCI universal player for cd, sacd, dvd-a and music blurays.
Very welcome . Pleasure making your acquaintance. Good luck with your new gear.

post #5982 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very welcome . Pleasure making your acquaintance. Good luck with your new gear.

The feeling is mutual, you have been a big help. I am excited about getting my first OLED TV this Tuesday and will keep you and the forum posted in case there is anybody else who is considering the Sony A9G Oled. This would be a good time as BB/Magnolia lowered the price substantially for their Pre-Black Friday sale and if the price was to go even lower on Black Friday they will honor the new lower price.
Panson likes this.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #5983 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 03:47 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

but.... now it doesn't output Dolby [email protected][email protected]!...

any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Racer View Post
I don't have any solution to this problem but thought that I would chime in because I'm having the same problem as you in that I can't get 4K output from the 820 connected to my Denon AVR X8500H. ... the movies and show headings no longer indicate 4K UHD as available. I have no problem getting 4K from the Amazon Prime video app on this player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

If you performed a factory reset, then the 4K Output setting would be reset to default value: 4:2:0. Netflix won't output HDR when it is set to 4:2:0. Don't ask why, it might be a bug. Instead it will output an SDR version; perhaps the 1080P version upscaled to 4K. If so, you won't get Atmos as it is only available with the 4K version.

What Claw said. I just checked my 820 and it's fine with Netflix 4KHDR. Please verify that your Panny settings have followed Claw's post above: 4K Output set to 4:4:4.
Netflix will not output HDR when it is set to 4:2:0. Amazon will, but Netflix will not.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Pip
post #5984 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
Thx for replying. Are you sure this panasonic vendor is a reliable source? They have released a successor to the UB420, and carrying the high end models 820 and 9000 through 3 years would be strange and generally doesn't happen. If they do keep the same model, can the 820 be expected to drop in price by mid next year? Not counting deals or discounts but official price reduction. Im comfortable paying upto 350 dollars for it, seeing that it has limited usb playback capability and no built in sacd player.
The vendor is very reliable he handled the un9000 for about a year in the us exclusively
post #5985 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
The vendor is very reliable he handled the un9000 for about a year in the us exclusively
Rob from Value Electronics is as reliable as it gets.

post #5986 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Pana HDMI setting:
video format: Auto
4k Output: 4k (50/60p) 4:2:0
24p Output: Auto
Dolby Vision: On
HDR10+: On

When you bring up a title that should be HDR and Atmos, does Netflix show the HDR and Atmos labels?

ok guys, an update. (really appreciate the help btw)

did a factory reset. ie, hold blue, yellow, play and choose 08 option. and Voila!!

now I am getting 2160p with Netflix AND Dolby Atmos is now working on both Netflix and UHD discs.

and re Claw's suggestion of 4.4.4, somehow every time I choose that setting, the screen went blank for a long while and it reverts back to 4.2.0??!
it has never allowed me to do 4.4.4 from day one.

once i fix this I am happy!
is there something I need to do with the Denon 6500H or JVC RS2000/N7??? I would think my equipment is 4.4.4 capable?
post #5987 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
What Claw said. I just checked my 820 and it's fine with Netflix 4KHDR. Please verify that your Panny settings have followed Claw's post above: 4K Output set to 4:4:4.
Netflix will not output HDR when it is set to 4:2:0. Amazon will, but Netflix will not.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Pip
In my case my players 4K Output is set to 4:4:4 and I still can't get it to stream Netflix with 4K.

Samsung Q90R 82" TV, Denon AVR-X8500H, Panasonic Blu-ray DP-UB820, Klipsch RP-280F L/R, Klipsch RP-450CA center, Klipsch RP-600M L&R surround, Klipsch RP-502S L&R rear surround, Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos front heights, Axiom QS8's as rear height speakers, SVS PB-16 Ultra and SVS PC+ subs. Currently set up as a 7.2.4 sound system.
post #5988 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:

Yes he is one of the best out there. He posted that info on the home theater thread

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #5989 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

But value electronics would know only so much far as the US market is concerned. And it's a known fact that panasonic has limited support for blu ray players and tv's (no support for tv's) in the US compared to other territories. The UB420 that just got released in us has been available several months in europe and europe has now seen a successor to the 420. So it might well be that in the US they plan to carry through the 820 for next year but for europe they have a different plan. Possibly the US gets to see the 820 successor in 2021? Some rumors on europe boards about a 820 successor next year but no confirmation. If i try to mail panasonic europe, i suspect i wont get any more than 'we dont have any information to share regarding this right now' reply. In case the 820 does get continued, i would at least be hopeful of a price drop by mid next year. I feel it's a little pricey right now. I'm looking to get a panasonic gz950 oled down the line and i think pairing it to a panasonic 4k blu ray player (with dolby vision support) will be the best match, so im researching the UB820 or its successor.

Last edited by Rysa_105; 10-18-2019 at 10:47 PM.
post #5990 of 6145 Old 10-18-2019, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have been using my UB820 on WIFI and just put in a powerline adapter to run ethernet to it. It's a twin plug and the other goes to my PS4. The PS4 is working perfectly and reports back a decent speed. The UB820 streams great from mediaserver and Amazon but the Neflix app won't load at all!
As soon as I switch back to wifi Netflix will open. Plug the cable in and it won't load and crashes the player.

Any ideas?
post #5991 of 6145 Old 10-19-2019, 07:05 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:

did a factory reset. ...

now I am getting 2160p with Netflix AND Dolby Atmos is now working on both Netflix and UHD discs.

and re Claw's suggestion of 4.4.4, somehow every time I choose that setting, the screen went blank for a long while and it reverts back to 4.2.0??!

is there something I need to do with the Denon 6500H or JVC RS2000/N7??? I would think my equipment is 4.4.4 capable?
Your Denon should be set to HDMI "Enhanced", but if you are getting 2160p, it probably already is. Although you are now getting 4K Netflix (congrats), without 4:4:4 you're not getting HDR. The Denon and JVC are indeed both 4:4:4 capable.

We don't know if your cables are 4:4:4 capable. 4:4:4 requires much more bandwidth, so is much more taxing on cables. Both cables in the chain should be premium certified. Any cable longer than 25' will probably need to be fibre.

When you switch to 4:4:4 the player sends a test screen to your display asking if you see the 4:4:4 image. It gives you a certain amount of time to reply yes with the remote. If it doesn't receive this confirmation, it reverts back to 4:2:0.

This is almost always caused by an insufficient HDMI cable. However, with the JVC projectors, it might be another problem: The JVCs can take so long to re-sync from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 that the test image times out; so you never see it, never confirm yes, and the player goes back to 4:2:0.

If you have another 4K display, you can test this using the same cables. If it doesn't work, you need a better cable or cables. If it works, leave the Panny set that way, then reconnect to the JVC. You should be getting 4:4:4 then.

Pip
post #5992 of 6145 Old 10-19-2019, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I’m new to the 820. It’s connected to a Yamaha receiver that in turn outputs to an Epson 5050ub projector. I’ll be using the 820 exclusively to play discs. Should I leave it at the default settings?
post #5993 of 6145 Old 10-19-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Just to touch on something from a few pages ago, this unit absolutely does play dvds and cds. The dvd upscaling is really good too, better than the Sony bdp 6700, which was regarded as one of the best upscaling players already.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #5994 of 6145 Old 10-19-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

did a factory reset. ie, hold blue, yellow, play and choose 08 option. and Voila!!

Quote:
Your Denon should be set to HDMI "Enhanced", but if you are getting 2160p, it probably already is. Although you are now getting 4K Netflix (congrats), without 4:4:4 you're not getting HDR. The Denon and JVC are indeed both 4:4:4 capable.

We don't know if your cables are 4:4:4 capable. 4:4:4 requires much more bandwidth, so is much more taxing on cables. Both cables in the chain should be premium certified. Any cable longer than 25' will probably need to be fibre.

When you switch to 4:4:4 the player sends a test screen to your display asking if you see the 4:4:4 image. It gives you a certain amount of time to reply yes with the remote. If it doesn't receive this confirmation, it reverts back to 4:2:0.

This is almost always caused by an insufficient HDMI cable. However, with the JVC projectors, it might be another problem: The JVCs can take so long to re-sync from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 that the test image times out; so you never see it, never confirm yes, and the player goes back to 4:2:0.

If you have another 4K display, you can test this using the same cables. If it doesn't work, you need a better cable or cables. If it works, leave the Panny set that way, then reconnect to the JVC. You should be getting 4:4:4 then.

Pip
Denon only supports up to 4K60 4:2:0 8-bit when the 4K Signal Format option is set to its default value Standard. Make sure it is set to Enhanced.

In the UB820...

4K60p Output must be set to 4:4:4.
Advanced...Color Mode must be set to Auto.

Before attempting to change the 4K60 Output setting put your JVC into an SDR picture mode; one that does not use the BT2020 Color Profile. This will reduce the HDMI sync time since the JVC doesn't have to turn OFF the filter when it gets the SDR signal.

Also try a couple of times if the UB820 times out while waiting for an OK. On the second attempt I usually get around 3-4 seconds to click the OK button when it appears.

If you don't ever see the 4:4:4 confirmation screen before it reverts to 4:2:0, it is possible your HDMI cables don't support 18Gbps signals.

If you have the 4K60 Billy Lynn Halftime UHD disc and it plays for you then your HDMI cable is good. If you get 4K HDR from Amazon Prime Video the cable should be good. Because I know that my cable is good, I will sometimes not wait for the 4:4:4 OK screen to display and just click the UP and OK buttons after a few seconds.
Bytehoven likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 10-19-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #5995 of 6145 Old 10-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
ok guys, an update. (really appreciate the help btw)...

Claw to the rescue again! I was hoping you would chime in. Great tips for dealing with the JVC sync times! Can you clear up my own confusion on one point?

Quote:

Before attempting to change the 4K60 Output setting put your JVC into an SDR picture mode; one that does not use the BT2020 Color Profile. This will reduce the HDMI sync time since the JVC doesn't have to turn OFF the filter when it gets the SDR signal.
When changing the 4K60 output isn't the JVC getting an HDR signal with BT2020? Or is that confirmation dialog in SDR?

Quote:
...If you get 4K HDR from Amazon Prime Video the cable should be good.
Just a heads up to derder: I have had three cables which did pass 4KHDR from Amazon Prime with the player at 4:2:0, but which did not pass at 4:4:4

Quote:
Because I know that my cable is good, I will sometimes not wait for the 4:4:4 OK screen to display and just click the UP and OK buttons after a few seconds.
This tip got me up and running. If memory serves you advised me to wait ten seconds and then go. It worked. If you try this and the cable isn't sufficient, you might get entirely locked out, but a reset of the Panny will get you back to 4:2:0 and you will then know the cable isn't passing.

Pip
post #5996 of 6145 Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When changing the 4K60 output isn't the JVC getting an HDR signal with BT2020? Or is that confirmation dialog in SDR?
You can't change the setting while playing HDR. The player reverted to SDR when the menu is displayed.

I don't actually know what signal is sent for the 4:4:4 test. I would expect that it sends a 4K60 4:4:4 8-bit REC709 SDR signal which is 17.8 Gbps.

CJ

Last edited by claw; 10-20-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #5997 of 6145 Old 10-21-2019, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,

I just purchased the Sony A9G with UB820 and Q80R Atmos sound bar.

Any recommended settings for someone who is new to this? Thanks in advance.
post #5998 of 6145 Old 10-21-2019, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
You can't change the setting while playing HDR. The player reverted to SDR when the menu is displayed.

I don't actually know what signal is sent for the 4:4:4 test. I would expect that it sends a 4K60 4:4:4 8-bit REC709 SDR signal which is 17.8 Gbps.
Thanks Claw and Pip.m Just an update.

pretty sure it's my long HDMI that's the problem. you were right! So far passing UHD4k and Atmos for Netflix is all ok now (thanks),

Playing 4k discs with HDR is ok as my JVC immediately recognises it and switches to the "Frame Adapt HDR setting". So safe to assume at least my current HDMI can pass HDR info to the JVC.

but.... Netflix still not getting HDR / Dolby Vision as Claw/Pip suggested my system freezes when I choose 4:4:4. have to hard reset and it reverts back to 4:4:2

I investigated a bit by plugging in the Pana straight into the projector w my shorter Audioquestion Chocolate HDMI and voila. I got HDR showing in Netflix.

so two 2 questions:

1) why do others get DolbyVision with Netflix but I only get HDR? is it cos I have to go thru my Denon 6500H in order for Dolby Vision to be "active"? and am I missing anything with just HDR for streaming Netflix?

2) any suggestion for a reliable long HDMI that's can RELIABLY pass 4:4:4?? I need about 12m/ 49 ft!!

thanks guys.
post #5999 of 6145 Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Claw and Pip.m Just an update.

pretty sure it's my long HDMI that's the problem. you were right! So far passing UHD4k and Atmos for Netflix is all ok now (thanks),

Playing 4k discs with HDR is ok as my JVC immediately recognises it and switches to the "Frame Adapt HDR setting". So safe to assume at least my current HDMI can pass HDR info to the JVC.

but.... Netflix still not getting HDR / Dolby Vision as Claw/Pip suggested my system freezes when I choose 4:4:4. have to hard reset and it reverts back to 4:4:2

I investigated a bit by plugging in the Pana straight into the projector w my shorter Audioquestion Chocolate HDMI and voila. I got HDR showing in Netflix.

so two 2 questions:

1) why do others get DolbyVision with Netflix but I only get HDR? is it cos I have to go thru my Denon 6500H in order for Dolby Vision to be "active"? and am I missing anything with just HDR for streaming Netflix?

2) any suggestion for a reliable long HDMI that's can RELIABLY pass 4:4:4?? I need about 12m/ 49 ft!!

thanks guys.
In order to get Dolby vision on Netflix, the display would have to be recognized as Dolby Vision capable. JVC along with all projectors are not Dolby Vision capable at this point. Are you stating there are forum members who own projectors that are able to use Dolby Vision with Netflix? The only way that would be possible is if somewhere in the chain there is a processor tricking Netflix into believing the display is Dolby Vision capable.

post #6000 of 6145 Old 10-21-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1887
@derder, I am at 30 FT, and have had this ruipro for over 2 years, with a Denon X4200 and a JCV RS420. Still strong.
I knoe there a cheaper options, but this works for me, and would/will buy from ruipro again:
https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-Fiber-...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Bytehoven likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page