Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 201 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5088Likes

post #6001 of 6146 Old 10-21-2019, 07:38 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by derder View Post
Thanks Claw and Pip.m Just an update.

pretty sure it's my long HDMI that's the problem. you were right! So far passing UHD4k and Atmos for Netflix is all ok now (thanks),...

so two 2 questions:

1) why do others get DolbyVision with Netflix but I only get HDR? is it cos I have to go thru my Denon 6500H in order for Dolby Vision to be "active"? and am I missing anything with just HDR for streaming Netflix?

2) any suggestion for a reliable long HDMI that's can RELIABLY pass 4:4:4?? I need about 12m/ 49 ft!!

thanks guys.
1) You can't get Dolby Vision on the JVC because it's not Dolby Vision capable. So far, no home projectors are. The people getting Dobly Vision from Netflix are getting it on TVs - not projectors.

2) at that cable length, the only thing that will reliably pass 4:4:4 will be fibre, and I also recommend Ruipro. I once bought a slightly cheaper one - DTech, but that wouldn't pass the full 18Gbs. My Ruipro (like everyone else's it seems) works perfectly.

Pip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6146 Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by derder View Post
Thanks Claw and Pip.m Just an update.

pretty sure it's my long HDMI that's the problem. you were right! So far passing UHD4k and Atmos for Netflix is all ok now (thanks),

Playing 4k discs with HDR is ok as my JVC immediately recognises it and switches to the "Frame Adapt HDR setting". So safe to assume at least my current HDMI can pass HDR info to the JVC.

but.... Netflix still not getting HDR / Dolby Vision as Claw/Pip suggested my system freezes when I choose 4:4:4. have to hard reset and it reverts back to 4:4:2

I investigated a bit by plugging in the Pana straight into the projector w my shorter Audioquestion Chocolate HDMI and voila. I got HDR showing in Netflix.

so two 2 questions:

1) why do others get DolbyVision with Netflix but I only get HDR? is it cos I have to go thru my Denon 6500H in order for Dolby Vision to be "active"? and am I missing anything with just HDR for streaming Netflix?

2) any suggestion for a reliable long HDMI that's can RELIABLY pass 4:4:4?? I need about 12m/ 49 ft!!

thanks guys.

The Titan 49' cable worked very well in my system. My Epson 5050UB projector has USB ports on it so the cable's USB power connection was a piece of cake.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Marantz AV7704, Epson 5050UB, Stewart Firehawk 16x9 82"; Amplifiers: Parasound HCA 1000A, Parasound HCA 1206; Speakers: Paradigm Monitor v.4 (R/L/BR/BL) ADP-370 (SS), CC-370 v.4, PW1200 v.4; Power Condition: Adcom ACE 315 & 515, Tripplite HT7300PC & HTRL15UPS; Other Sources: Pioneer CLD-D606 & DVL-919, JVC HR-S9600U; Redmere Elite HDMI cable, Monster Mi.2S speaker cable, Kimber Kable interconnects.
post #6003 of 6146 Old 10-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Settings recommendations/review request

Hi guys, I have been pulling my hair out playing with different settings trying to get the correct picture outputs with Blu-ray 4K UHD with HDR movies, streaming 4K movies with the 820 Netflix app and streaming Amazon Prime 4K shows (with HDR flags in the headings). I have the 820 connected to a Denon AVR-X8500H via certified 4K HDMI cable (have tried 3 different 4K certified 4' to 6' long cables to try and rule out a cable problem and the AVR 4K signal setting is set on "Enhanced"). Then the Denon then feeds the signals to my Samsung Q90R TV also with a Certified 4KHDMI cable. Can you review my current settings and advise if I should make any changes?
HDMI Settings:
Resolution = Auto
4K60p = 4K/60p (4:4:4)
24p Output = Auto
HDMI (Video) Output mode = Auto
HDMI (Audio) Output mode = Auto
Dolby Vision = Off
HDR 10+ setting = On
Advanced Settings:
Color Mode = YCbCr (Auto)
Deep Color Output = Auto (12 bit priority)
HDR/Color Gamut Output = HDR/BT. 2020 Auto
SDR/HDR Conv. (Network Service) = On

Here's why I think that I may have incorrect video outputs that the AVR and TV are receiving:
1) Blu-ray 4K UHD with HDR (Deadpool 2, Lucy, Godzilla King of Monsters, etc.)
The TV indicates that it is receiving 3840x2160 HDR UHD
The Denon indicates that it is indeed 4K:24Hz HDR but the color space is YCbCr 4:2:2. (Shouldn't this be 4:4:4)?
The 820 remote video setting options for Optimum HDR Adjustment is off, grayed out and won't allow me to turn it on. (This HDR adjustment issue is now resolved since a factory reset and I have now turned it on).
2) Amazon Prime 4K UHD with HDR movies (for example "The Tick")
The TV indicates that it is receiving 3840x2160/60p but the HDR flag is not there like I think it should be.
The Denon indicates 4K: 60Hz
Color Space = YCbCr = 4:2:0 (Shouldn't this be 4:4:4)?
Pixel depth = 8 bits
The 820 status options video setting for Optimum HDR Adjustment says "Valid Only during HDR Video Output". Why am I not getting HDR from Amazon Prime streaming from movies that their headings indicate they are output with HDR?

3) Netflix 4K streaming (Premium Plan with Ultra HD for 4 devices)
Note: The 4K available shows and movies no longer show 4K or UHD in the headings (on the 820) but some do show HDR and Atmos availability. A few weeks ago my 820 also listed 4K in the headings on movies available in 4K but something has changed to prevent that now. I'm not completely sure I'm only seeing a 1080P picture as it still looks very good but the TV indicates it is receiving a 1920x1080/60 HDR video signal from Netflix movies that should be in 4K. Also, the Denon confirms a 1920x1080/60 HDR video signal, Color Space = YCbCr 4:4:4: with a pixel depth of 12 bits. (Why am I getting 4:4:4 at 12 bits on a 1080P signal and I don't get this from 4K UHD/HDR Blu-ray or Amazon Prime 4K streaming)?
The 820 options button for video settings for Optimum HDR Adjustment says it is indeed turned on so all indications point to I am getting a HDR video feed however, for some reason the TV and AVR tell me it's 1080 rather than 2160. This is really weird but while playing with the settings and turning it off and back on, it suddenly started receiving 4K UHD streaming again but when I turned it off and then back on, it lost all audio from Netflix streaming (but worked fine while playing a disc and when streaming Amazon). Anyway, I did a complete factory reset since that helped another 820 owner a few pages back. I now have audio back but the player has reverted back to 1080P (as indicated on the Denon and TV) only when streaming Netflix 4K movies. When streaming Netflix 4K movies from the Netflix app on my TV, I do get 4K (2160) signal indication then.

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions?

Samsung Q90R 82" TV, Denon AVR-X8500H, Panasonic Blu-ray DP-UB820, Klipsch RP-280F L/R, Klipsch RP-450CA center, Klipsch RP-600M L&R surround, Klipsch RP-502S L&R rear surround, Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos front heights, Axiom QS8's as rear height speakers, SVS PB-16 Ultra and SVS PC+ subs. Currently set up as a 7.2.4 sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6004 of 6146 Old 10-21-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Racer View Post
Hi guys, I have been pulling my hair out playing with different settings trying to get the correct picture outputs with Blu-ray 4K UHD with HDR movies, streaming 4K movies with the 820 Netflix app and streaming Amazon Prime 4K shows (with HDR flags in the headings). I have the 820 connected to a Denon AVR-X8500H via certified 4K HDMI cable (have tried 3 different 4K certified 4' to 6' long cables to try and rule out a cable problem and the AVR 4K signal setting is set on "Enhanced"). Then the Denon then feeds the signals to my Samsung Q90R TV also with a Certified 4KHDMI cable. Can you review my current settings and advise if I should make any changes?
HDMI Settings:
Resolution = Auto
24p Output = Auto
Dolby Vision = Off
HDR 10+ setting = On
Advanced Settings:

Here's why I think that I may have incorrect video outputs that the AVR and TV are receiving:
1) Blu-ray 4K UHD with HDR (Deadpool 2, Lucy, Godzilla King of Monsters, etc.)
The TV indicates that it is receiving 3840x2160 HDR UHD
The Denon indicates that it is indeed 4K:24Hz HDR but the color space is YCbCr 4:2:2. (Shouldn't this be 4:4:4)?
Lots of questions there, let's start with a couple.

1. I would suggest turning off SDR/HDR Conv, at least until you get HDR working properly. With it on you can't tell if you are actually getting HDR from Netflix and Amazon or if the UB820 is converting all SDR content to HDR which is what the setting does.

2. I get 4:2:2 as well. For both 4K24 and 4K60 content. It could be that your TV is telling the UB820 that it prefers 4:2:2. You could change Color Mode to 4:4:4 but then you would lose HDR from Netflix. I wouldn't be concerned about getting 4:2:2.
Robbie Racer likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #6005 of 6146 Old 10-21-2019, 08:17 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi guys, I have been pulling my hair out playing with different settings trying to get the correct picture outputs with Blu-ray 4K UHD with HDR movies, streaming 4K movies with the 820 Netflix app and streaming Amazon Prime 4K shows......

Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

...You could change Color Mode to 4:4:4 but then you would lose HDR from Netflix.
I'm confused. Isn't 4:4:4 is the only way to get HDR from Netflix?

Pip
post #6006 of 6146 Old 10-21-2019, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I picked up a 420 this weekend and I thought I'd post here since there's a lot of more traffic on this thread.

I'm testing streaming audio and video capabilities. First the good news, I can get Atmos via this player streaming via Netflix. Woot!

What I'm not getting at the moment is HDR content. If you check the attached image (from a JVC RS540) I'm getting the Max CLL/Max FALL on the Info menu, but the values are blank. Additionally, the HDR item says SDR.

Is there some setting I'm missing or is this indicative of another issue?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_210814.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	2630494   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_210946.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	639.0 KB
ID:	2630502  

INSERT INTO HT_01
(receiver, projector, speaker)
VALUES
(Marantz, JVC, Polk Audio)
/
post #6007 of 6146 Old 10-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi guys, I have been pulling my hair out playing with different settings trying to get the correct picture outputs with Blu-ray 4K UHD with HDR movies, streaming 4K movies with the 820 Netflix app and streaming Amazon Prime 4K shows (with HDR flags in the headings). I have the 820 connected to a Denon AVR-X8500H via certified 4K HDMI cable (have tried 3 different 4K certified 4' to 6' long cables to try and rule out a cable problem and the AVR 4K signal setting is set on "Enhanced"). Then the Denon then feeds the signals to my Samsung Q90R TV also with a Certified 4KHDMI cable.
The first thing to try is removing the Denon from the chain. Go directly from the 820 and see if that changes anything. Second - by certified, I assume you mean "Premium Certified" with the official hologram logo. If this is not the case, it might be a cable. UHD discs are almost all 24P which requires much less bandwidth than many streaming shows which can be higher frame rate. I have had cables which would pass UHD Blu-ray HDR, but not streaming HDR. If the cables you've tried are "Premium Certified", then it's not the cables.

Quote:
Can you review my current settings and advise if I should make any changes?
HDMI Settings:
Resolution = Auto
24p Output = Auto
Dolby Vision = Off

HDR 10+ setting = On
Advanced Settings:

Here's why I think that I may have incorrect video outputs that the AVR and TV are receiving:...

2) Amazon Prime 4K UHD with HDR movies (for example "The Tick")
The TV indicates that it is receiving 3840x2160/60p but the HDR flag is not there like I think it should be....

Why am I not getting HDR from Amazon Prime streaming from movies that their headings indicate they are output with HDR?
Except for the two settings listed below, my settings are the same as yours and I'm seeing the HDR flags and getting HDR on Prime.

SDR/HDR Conv. (Network Service) = On. Mine is Off. As Claw suggested, try Off.

HDMI (Audio) Output mode = Auto. This can not be correct. The only options available for this setting are "Audio Only" or "Video+Audio". Mine is set to Audio Only.

Quote:
The 820 status options video setting for Optimum HDR Adjustment says "Valid Only during HDR Video Output".
Once you manage to get HDR, this option should return.

Quote:
...Color Space = YCbCr = 4:2:0 (Shouldn't this be 4:4:4)?...
Claw explained to us a long while ago that even with the Panny set to 4:4:4 (which you need to get Netflix HDR), HDR material is actually output at other color settings - even Netflix HDR. As Claw just answered, don't worry about that.

There's also one other weird Prime phenomenon to eliminate - especially after you change any settings. With Prime all HDR material has two separate versions - one with HDR, and one without. If you previously had the Panny set to a non-HDR setting, or if you last watched the non-HDR version of a show or movie, Prime will sometimes automatically show you the non-HDR version. Try an HDR show you have never watched to be sure this is not a problem.

Good luck,

Pip
Robbie Racer likes this.
post #6008 of 6146 Old 10-22-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
There's also one other weird Prime phenomenon to eliminate - especially after you change any settings. With Prime all HDR material has two separate versions - one with HDR, and one without. If you previously had the Panny set to a non-HDR setting, or if you last watched the non-HDR version of a show or movie, Prime will sometimes automatically show you the non-HDR version. Try an HDR show you have never watched to be sure this is not a problem.
This is a real annoyance, for sure.

I bookmarked this site a while ago to get around this. It is on Amazon, and provides quick access to all their 4k and HDR content, so you don't inadvertently choose the wrong one:

Amazon 4K UHD and HDR Content
tngiloy and MOberhardt like this.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #6009 of 6146 Old 10-22-2019, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
This is a real annoyance, for sure.

I bookmarked this site a while ago to get around this. It is on Amazon, and provides quick access to all their 4k and HDR content, so you don't inadvertently choose the wrong one:

Amazon 4K UHD and HDR Content
This info in the link is misleading. It implies that all the shows listed are 4K UHD and HDR. This is not true. The Expanse seasons 1-3 are UHD but not HDR and they are listed. There is no indication of which content is HDR and which is not. Amazon needs to get it’s act together.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700

Last edited by BreakPoint; 10-22-2019 at 06:37 AM.
post #6010 of 6146 Old 10-22-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
This info in the link is misleading. It implies that all the shows listed are 4K UHD and HDR. This is not true. The Expanse seasons 1 and 2 are UHD but not HDR and they are listed. There is no indication of which content is HDR and which is not. Amazon needs to get it’s act together.
I guess one reading might suggest that, but nevertheless, this is the only resource I've found that provides access to whatever they have that is 4k *and/or* HDR.

But this really shouldn't be necessary. They shouldn't have separate listings for all of this content - just a single entry, which will provide access to whichever format is wanted. Netflix does this quite simply, so there's no reason Amazon can't.
mrtickleuk likes this.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #6011 of 6146 Old 10-22-2019, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

3) Netflix 4K streaming (Premium Plan with Ultra HD for 4 devices)
Note: The 4K available shows and movies no longer show 4K or UHD in the headings (on the 820) but some do show HDR and Atmos availability.
Netflix seems to show HDR (or DVision) for many (or all) 4K whether or not they actually are HDR (or DVision). Two examples of this are "The Crown" and "Atypical". These were not HDR/DVision when they came out and are still not (although the new seasons of both might be).

Last edited by jmonier; 10-22-2019 at 06:43 AM.
post #6012 of 6146 Old 10-22-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm confused. Isn't 4:4:4 is the only way to get HDR from Netflix?

Pip
Two different settings.

4K60 Output: 4:4:4
Color Mode: Auto

Color Mode cannot be set to 4:4:4 for Netflix HDR.
Robbie Racer likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #6013 of 6146 Old 10-22-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up It's working properly............for now

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I turned off SDR/HDR Conv last night and it didn't seem to make any difference. However, this morning I turned on my system and for some reason, everything is working as it should. I'm getting 4K HDR from both Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'm starting to suspect one of my Certified Premium cables may be getting "tweaked" a little in one of the sockets when I push the component trays back into the wall. I will experiment more later today but so far, so good. Thank you again!

Samsung Q90R 82" TV, Denon AVR-X8500H, Panasonic Blu-ray DP-UB820, Klipsch RP-280F L/R, Klipsch RP-450CA center, Klipsch RP-600M L&R surround, Klipsch RP-502S L&R rear surround, Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos front heights, Axiom QS8's as rear height speakers, SVS PB-16 Ultra and SVS PC+ subs. Currently set up as a 7.2.4 sound system.
post #6014 of 6146 Old 10-22-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all, first post here

I purchased a Panasonic UB-820 last year, around November. Great machine for movie playback, but I've noticed some very interesting "oddities" about it. I still own a Panasonic 330 player and have compared just how many features the 820 has locked out. The 330 plays FLAC audio on all media. The 820 will not play FLAC on BD-R or BD-RL, much to my dismay since I have most of my high resolution audio in flac on BD-R's. mp4 and flv also do not exist at all on recorded media, except on usb flash drives. My old 330 plays mp4 and flv on all record-able media types. Another interesting fault is that certain jpg's or jpeg's show up as icons with thumbnails, but when you try to play them they say "format not supported", where in again, the 330 plays these pics with no issue on all record-able media. The 820 has better wireless playback than the 330, and streams over ethernet and wireless from a server or DLNA with no issues, better than the 330 which drops frequently. During playback on the 330 you can see what the audio type is of your video file, while the 820 only shows a number of the track, so its impossible to see what audio track you are playing on an mkv if there are more than 1 audio streams in that file.

My main problem is with BD-RL record-able discs. Verbatim. My player seems to have a fit trying to read the discs and comes up with "format not supported". However randomly it will load it with no issue. BD-R discs load with no issues at all. I'm not sure, but I've read that this machine is fussy with burned discs. I am hesitating since my "pre-recorded" discs load with no issues whatsoever. Dual layer BR's are rather pricey so buying different manufacturers is a bit of an expense to further troubleshoot the matter. Has anyone had any issues with burned blu rays loading, or in my case issues loading at all?
post #6015 of 6146 Old 10-22-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Y’all. I just bought the UB820 and I love the player. The picture quality is amazing with my OLED. However, I’m having an issue with Netflix. Every time I open the app Dolby vision is set automatically. It’s making me watch everything in Dolby vision even SD content.

I have no problems with Amazon or YouTube displaying HDR correctly. Has anyone come across this issue?

P.S. The SDR/HDR conv is off.
post #6016 of 6146 Old 10-23-2019, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsurf View Post
Hi Y’all. I just bought the UB820 and I love the player. The picture quality is amazing with my OLED. However, I’m having an issue with Netflix. Every time I open the app Dolby vision is set automatically. It’s making me watch everything in Dolby vision even SD content.

I have no problems with Amazon or YouTube displaying HDR correctly. Has anyone come across this issue?

P.S. The SDR/HDR conv is off.
Yes, same thing happens to me. I have been looking around for a way to delete and re-install the Netflix app, but I have not found a way to do it.

I use my Apple TV 4K for Netflix because of this defect.

LeRoy

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Panasonic DP-UB820, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
post #6017 of 6146 Old 10-23-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
Yes, same thing happens to me. I have been looking around for a way to delete and re-install the Netflix app, but I have not found a way to do it.

I use my Apple TV 4K for Netflix because of this defect.

LeRoy
I don’t know if it’s a flaw but when you turn DVD’s on in the main menu everything thing in Netflix shows as DVD’s if all is normal hdr sad etc to watch a Netflix DVD’s show you have to turn it back on. This only happens in net flux on the. 820&9000
post #6018 of 6146 Old 10-23-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
In order to get Dolby vision on Netflix, the display would have to be recognized as Dolby Vision capable. JVC along with all projectors are not Dolby Vision capable at this point. Are you stating there are forum members who own projectors that are able to use Dolby Vision with Netflix? The only way that would be possible is if somewhere in the chain there is a processor tricking Netflix into believing the display is Dolby Vision capable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Can the HDFury 4K Integral 2 do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6019 of 6146 Old 10-23-2019, 12:04 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
Two different settings.

Thanks as always

Pip
post #6020 of 6146 Old 10-23-2019, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Two different settings.

Claw, you and Pip seem to have a lot of knowledge and I'm looking to upgrade to a Blu ray 4k UHD player I was going to wait for the PS5 but that's a year away and probably wont have as many features or quality of a stand alone player. Here is my current setup:

Sony 900e TV
Yamaha V683BL receiver (I have to use this as pass-through because only HDMI 2 and 3 support full bandwidth and 3 is ARC on Sony) and I currently have a 5.1.2 setup.
PS4 Pro for gaming
Panasonic Blu ray BDT 310 ( Got in 2012)

Is this the right direction with the Panasonic 420, (or the Sony X800M2) I'm not really wanting to spend the money for the UB820? Last year I rushed getting my receiver, I didn't realize it only supports 5.1.2 for Atmos. My room is fairly small, so it's not as big of deal, but still wish I could add more speakers.

Also is there a link or info regarding the recommended settings for the UB420. I've seen all the talk about "tone mapping" etc. and while i understand the concept, not sure about all the settings.

Thanks for any help
post #6021 of 6146 Old 10-24-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusaleen1 View Post
Claw, you and Pip seem to have a lot of knowledge and I'm looking to upgrade to a Blu ray 4k UHD player I was going to wait for the PS5 but that's a year away and probably wont have as many features or quality of a stand alone player. Here is my current setup:

Sony 900e TV
Yamaha V683BL receiver (I have to use this as pass-through because only HDMI 2 and 3 support full bandwidth and 3 is ARC on Sony) and I currently have a 5.1.2 setup.
PS4 Pro for gaming
Panasonic Blu ray BDT 310 ( Got in 2012)

Is this the right direction with the Panasonic 420, (or the Sony X800M2) I'm not really wanting to spend the money for the UB820? Last year I rushed getting my receiver, I didn't realize it only supports 5.1.2 for Atmos. My room is fairly small, so it's not as big of deal, but still wish I could add more speakers.

Also is there a link or info regarding the recommended settings for the UB420. I've seen all the talk about "tone mapping" etc. and while i understand the concept, not sure about all the settings.

Thanks for any help
Maybe someone with a 900E will respond. I can't suggest what UB420 settings would be best. I was going to point out that the 420 does not support Dolby Vision, but I guess the 900E does not either.

There is a UB420 thread but not much info in it yet...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...available.html

CJ
post #6022 of 6146 Old 10-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
....I'm looking to upgrade to a Blu ray 4k UHD player I was going to wait for the PS5 but that's a year away.. Here is my current setup:...Sony 900e TV

...Is this the right direction with the Panasonic 420, (or the Sony X800M2).....

What Claw said; plus:

Possible differences between the two players:

Streaming: If this is important to you, I'm guessing the Sony will be a better streaming player. I don't follow the 800 thread. My guess is based only on all the complaints regarding streaming quirks and limits (especially with files) about the Panny. You'll have to research this if it's important.

Upscaling: Of blu-rays and or DVDs. The Panasonic probably is better than the Sony, but depending on your display size and distance, this may be undetectable in normal viewing.

Tone mapping: The Panasonic will give you more flexibility with this. These are differences you will be able to see, but will you need (or even use) the tone mapping tricks of the Panasonic? The better your LED or OLED display handles HDR, the less advantage the Panasonic tone mapping will provide. With any projector, or a lower quality HDR display, the Panasonic tone mapping provides a dramatic improvement. I don't know anything about your display, so I've no idea if this will be important.

If all you're concerned about is playing 4K discs on a superb LED or OLED TV, either player will work for you. You might love the HDR Optimiser on the Panny, but it's hard to know in advance.

Pip
Bytehoven likes this.
post #6023 of 6146 Old 10-24-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
What Claw said; plus:

Possible differences between the two players:

Streaming: If this is important to you, I'm guessing the Sony will be a better streaming player. I don't follow the 800 thread. My guess is based only on all the complaints regarding streaming quirks and limits (especially with files) about the Panny. You'll have to research this if it's important.

Upscaling: Of blu-rays and or DVDs. The Panasonic probably is better than the Sony, but depending on your display size and distance, this may be undetectable in normal viewing.

Tone mapping: The Panasonic will give you more flexibility with this. These are differences you will be able to see, but will you need (or even use) the tone mapping tricks of the Panasonic? The better your LED or OLED display handles HDR, the less advantage the Panasonic tone mapping will provide. With any projector, or a lower quality HDR display, the Panasonic tone mapping provides a dramatic improvement. I don't know anything about your display, so I've no idea if this will be important.

If all you're concerned about is playing 4K discs on a superb LED or OLED TV, either player will work for you. You might love the HDR Optimiser on the Panny, but it's hard to know in advance.

Pip
Great thanks for the info, I think mainly it will be for playing 4k discs or to upvert my regular blu rays. What is considered a superb LED? This is my TV, not sure if any of this will be helpful to determine.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e
post #6024 of 6146 Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Two different settings.

All streaming services on this player outputs in 60 Hz. And since 4:4:4 for 4K HDR souces is beyond the supported HDMI 2.0 bandwidth for 60 Hz sources it's not supported.
post #6025 of 6146 Old 10-25-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
is 820 equal to OPPO 203 qualities ?

Sound through HDMI ? Atmosphere, AURO-3D, DTS-X,

Picture and calibrate a picture through 820 equals 203 ?
post #6026 of 6146 Old 10-25-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalb1970 View Post
All streaming services on this player outputs in 60 Hz. And since 4:4:4 for 4K HDR souces is beyond the supported HDMI 2.0 bandwidth for 60 Hz sources it's not supported.
Not sure I understand your point.

It is well known now that you must set 4K60 output to 4:4:4 to get Netflix to output HDR. But yes, 4:4:4 10/12 bit is not valid.

So for 4K SDR, the output will be 4K60 4:4:4 8-bit instead of 4K60 4:2:0 8-bit.
But for 4K HDR, the output will be 4K60 4:2:2 12-bit due to the 4:4:4 8-bit restriction.

The color mode setting needs to be set to Auto instead of 4:4:4. This option will force 4:4:4 if set and that precludes any HDR due to the 8-bit restriction on 4K60 4:4:4. Leaving the setting at Auto allows the player to determine the best color space option to use.

CJ
post #6027 of 6146 Old 10-27-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For playing discs only (no streaming), should I leave the player at the default settings? Or are there any recommended adjustments?
post #6028 of 6146 Old 10-27-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d View Post
For playing discs only (no streaming), should I leave the player at the default settings? Or are there any recommended adjustments?
If it is connected to an HDR device, set the HDR TV type (p. 30 in the downloadable manual).

That set the peak brightness for the tone mapping. (The tone mapping is the major plus for the 820.)
post #6029 of 6146 Old 10-27-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Quote:
Great thanks for the info, I think mainly it will be for playing 4k discs or to upvert my regular blu rays. What is considered a superb LED? This is my TV, not sure if any of this will be helpful to determine.
Your X900E is a superb LED LCD. Since Dolby Vision and projector use is of no concern, Sony X800 or Panasonic UB420.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #6030 of 6146 Old 10-28-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Quote:
Your X900E is a superb LED LCD. Since Dolby Vision and projector use is of no concern, Sony X800 or Panasonic UB420.
Awesome, just what I needed, thanks
rhbblb1 and Panson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page