Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5175Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6151 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tngiloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor* View Post
I'm actually in the market for a 4K player as I'm using my Xbox One X right now. Of course it's not as good as a stand alone player but it does the job. Tops on my list is the Panny UB820. It was between that and the Sony X800m2. Will see what Black Friday brings.
I also had the 820 and X800m2 as my final choices. I went with the UB820 and have been very happy.
The main thing that tilted the choice to the UB820 was Sony's unbelievable decision to not make Dolby Vision switching automatic. If you were to play a DV enabled disc you needed to go into setup to switch DV on. If the next movie you watched was HDR10 the X800m2 would force DV unless you went back into setup and turned off DV.
Unless Sony has fixed this glitch with a firmware update since I was shopping a while back, you should check this out.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
tngiloy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6152 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Yankees24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor* View Post
I'm actually in the market for a 4K player as I'm using my Xbox One X right now. Of course it's not as good as a stand alone player but it does the job. Tops on my list is the Panny UB820. It was between that and the Sony X800m2. Will see what Black Friday brings.

I was in the same situation, I went with the Panny, in addition to the sony and DV switching issue, the Panny has a better processor.

Think before you speak....
Yankees24 is offline  
post #6153 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joshua goard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor* View Post
I'm actually in the market for a 4K player as I'm using my Xbox One X right now. Of course it's not as good as a stand alone player but it does the job. Tops on my list is the Panny UB820. It was between that and the Sony X800m2. Will see what Black Friday brings.
In my opinion, you aren't even getting HDR with the Xbox...Microsoft's implementation of it is really bad compared to any stand alone player I've used. When I watch a 4k disc on the panny or even using the streaming apps on my z9d there is no comparison. The Xbox looks pathetic comparatively...Obviously you need a good tv to really take advantage of HDR and the Sony z9d is arguably still the best HDR tv with the least compromises so you can tell there's a massive difference when the HDR sucks...

I'm not here trying to tout how awesome my tv is, just saying that I have a good frame of reference for what HDR should look like and the Xbox does not deliver...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
joshua goard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6154 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ballen420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 3,913
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Add me to the list of those who switched from a One X to the UB820. I was very skeptical when switching and couldn't be happier. I also looked at other players, but with having an OLED, the HDR optimizer sealed the deal with me on the 820. It's strictly a disc player for me so the streaming app shortcomings had no effect on my decision.

Prepare your wallet for the onslaught of movies you'll purchase if you get one.
monkaquinas and mrtickleuk like this.
ballen420 is online now  
post #6155 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post
Add me to the list of those who switched from a One X to the UB820. I was very skeptical when switching and couldn't be happier. I also looked at other players, but with having an OLED, the HDR optimizer sealed the deal with me on the 820. It's strictly a disc player for me so the streaming app shortcomings had no effect on my decision.

Prepare your wallet for the onslaught of movies you'll purchase if you get one.
UPS is delivering mine today! I'm pretty pumped about it! All I want it for is as a disc player and if it can successfully run Pandora that would be perfect for me. Now my xbox can be used for gaming only. Hopefully it solves my motion glitches during movies and helps my C8 shine a little more. Pretty pumped for Dolby Vision from disc!
Viking 29 is online now  
post #6156 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom10422 View Post
My disc tray won't eject. I tried the sequence in the user manual without luck. Is there a manual eject (with a paper-clip, etc)? I did not see one. Figures, I think I've had the player over a year.
So that cryptic standby remote sequence didnt work?

Have you tried totally powering it off for several minutes first?

BTW, from personal experience, i got in a lot of trouble with the player when I updated my harmony startup sequence to end with an eject. It often resulted in the player getting stuck and not starting up properly so the led display was on, but no video out, and a stuck tray. I dropped the eject from the sequence. All ok since.

As near as I can tell, hitting eject before the player has fully started and video displays can SERIOUSLY mess things up. Since I figured this it has been flawless.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #6157 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluesky636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Subscribed

Bill
bluesky636 is online now  
post #6158 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Well that's just great....
The idiots at UPS say my package was delivered but I don't have a blu ray Panasonic package on my doorstep anywhere! I got an alert that it was delivered, went outside and he was still 3 houses away. He then proceeded to deliver two more packages getting closer to my house and then just completely skipped my house all together. To say I'm unhappy is an understatement. I probably have to stew on this all weekend before I can get this crap resolved. I even went to the neighbors to see if it was my package delivered to the wrong house. Nope! I know first world problems but the one time I order something pricey from Amazon and ups completely botches it.
Viking 29 is online now  
post #6159 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 07:45 PM
Newbie
 
Tom10422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
So that cryptic standby remote sequence didnt work?

Have you tried totally powering it off for several minutes first?

BTW, from personal experience, i got in a lot of trouble with the player when I updated my harmony startup sequence to end with an eject. It often resulted in the player getting stuck and not starting up properly so the led display was on, but no video out, and a stuck tray. I dropped the eject from the sequence. All ok since.

As near as I can tell, hitting eject before the player has fully started and video displays can SERIOUSLY mess things up. Since I figured this it has been flawless.
I had it unplugged since last night. Plugged it in, let it get to the home screen and pushed eject. It moves the disc head, but does not eject the tray. What is odd is it seems like it thinks it was open and closed since it tries to read after a second or so of pushing the eject. Fairly easy device to get into. Thought I had left a BluRay in the drive, but was able to get to the tray and nothing was in it. I see why there is no manual eject, the tray sits below the head mechanism.
Tom10422 is offline  
post #6160 of 6345 Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
Well that's just great....
The idiots at UPS say my package was delivered but I don't have a blu ray Panasonic package on my doorstep anywhere! I got an alert that it was delivered, went outside and he was still 3 houses away. He then proceeded to deliver two more packages getting closer to my house and then just completely skipped my house all together. To say I'm unhappy is an understatement. I probably have to stew on this all weekend before I can get this crap resolved. I even went to the neighbors to see if it was my package delivered to the wrong house. Nope! I know first world problems but the one time I order something pricey from Amazon and ups completely botches it.
Wow that is nasty, especially seeing the actual delivery guy, scamming!
MOberhardt is offline  
post #6161 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Pip
Advanced Member
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Dunno, I haven't even got one But "resume play" is a "feature of some discs" as far as I know.... it's a shame they didn't fix it (eg by making it mandatory).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post
Owners manual says Resume does not work for BD-Video.
In spite of what the manual says, I can assure you that resume play works with many blu-rays. This issue came up a while ago in this thread, so I did extensive testing with UHDs, BDs and DVDs from various studios.

With Blu-rays, as opposed to DVDs, resume play is a feature that must be encoded in the disc. If it is not, no player will be able to resume play. As far as I can tell, the 820 resume play works with all Blu-rays which have it encoded. Certain movie studios never encode it on their discs. Other studios usually always include it.

I suspect the language in the manual is just CYA legal disclaimer so that people don't think there is something wrong with their units when they hit a disc with no resume feature.

I agree with mrtickleuk. The feature should be mandatory. It's another example (FBI Warnings, forced anti-pairacy commercials, endless unskipable movie trailers, etc.) of the studios punishing those who actually pay for their content. Then they wonder why people prefer to stream.

Pip
mrtickleuk likes this.
Pip is offline  
post #6162 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
Well that's just great....
The idiots at UPS say my package was delivered but I don't have a blu ray Panasonic package on my doorstep anywhere! I got an alert that it was delivered, went outside and he was still 3 houses away. He then proceeded to deliver two more packages getting closer to my house and then just completely skipped my house all together. To say I'm unhappy is an understatement. I probably have to stew on this all weekend before I can get this crap resolved. I even went to the neighbors to see if it was my package delivered to the wrong house. Nope! I know first world problems but the one time I order something pricey from Amazon and ups completely botches it.
Time to check with your neighbors. I've had packages delivered a few houses away on a couple of occasions. Sometimes it's driver error and sometimes the address on the label is in error. Hopefully you have some good neighbors.
Also notify UPS and Amazon immediately as they can put a tracer on it.

Clark

Last edited by Clark Burk; 11-16-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Clark Burk is online now  
post #6163 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: København
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post
Owners manual says Resume does not work for BD-Video.
A USB memory stick needs to be in place at the back of the player in order to resume playback after the player has shut down (and for the ability to update regular BDs).
Ken Masters is offline  
post #6164 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,490
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5188 Post(s)
Liked: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
A USB memory stick needs to be in place at the back of the player in order to resume playback after the player has shut down (and for the ability to update regular BDs).
A) you're kidding, surely!
B) why would I want to "update" regular Blu-Rays? If by that you mean allow them to force-play more updated trailers that I don't want, instead of force-playing much older trailers that I don't want, then.... I don't want that.
MOberhardt likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #6165 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluesky636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
A) you're kidding, surely!
B) why would I want to "update" regular Blu-Rays? If by that you mean allow them to force-play more updated trailers that I don't want, instead of force-playing much older trailers that I don't want, then.... I don't want that.
I'm puzzled too. How would a USB memory stick help with resuming play after the player shuts down and what updates are you talking about beyond using it to download and install firmware updates? Why does Panasonic even care if I want to waste a few watts of power while I do the dishes, make myself a snack, or go to the bathroom during a movie?
bluesky636 is online now  
post #6166 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
Well that's just great....
The idiots at UPS say my package was delivered but I don't have a blu ray Panasonic package on my doorstep anywhere! I got an alert that it was delivered, went outside and he was still 3 houses away. He then proceeded to deliver two more packages getting closer to my house and then just completely skipped my house all together. To say I'm unhappy is an understatement. I probably have to stew on this all weekend before I can get this crap resolved. I even went to the neighbors to see if it was my package delivered to the wrong house. Nope! I know first world problems but the one time I order something pricey from Amazon and ups completely botches it.
Time to check with your neighbors. I've had packages delivered a few houses away on a couple of occasions. Sometimes it's driver error and sometimes the address on the label is in error. Hopefully you have some good neighbors.
Also notify UPS and Amazon immediately as they can put a tracer on it.
I've done all that but I have to wait till Monday before I get a refund/reorder. I walked the street and checked all the houses after the deliveries and saw nothing. The neighbor whom the guy at the depot claims they traced it to refuses to answer the door. I'm pretty sure it's a goner. Talk about totally ridiculous that they can't even deliver a package to the right house. it was from Amazon so I highly doubt they got the address wrong. I order small stuff from them all the time and have always received it. The one time I order something of value it's lost. Not real happy even after sleeping on it.
MOberhardt likes this.

Last edited by Viking 29; 11-16-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Viking 29 is online now  
post #6167 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I've done all that but I have to wait till Monday before I get a refund/reorder. I walked the street and checked all the houses after the deliveries and saw nothing. The neighbor whom the guy at the depot claims they traced it to refuses to answer the door. I'm pretty sure it's a goner. Talk about totally ridiculous that they can't even deliver a package to the right house. it was from Amazon so I highly doubt they got the address wrong. I order small stuff from them all the time and have always received it. The one time I order something of value it's lost. Not real happy even after sleeping on it.
Sorry to hear that. That's one problem getting things from Amazon. They don't double box larger boxes and just slap a label on the manufacturer's box. Anyone can see what's inside the box. The good thing about Amazon is they are good with refunds.

Clark
Clark Burk is online now  
post #6168 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post
I'm puzzled too. How would a USB memory stick help with resuming play after the player shuts down and what updates are you talking about beyond using it to download and install firmware updates? Why does Panasonic even care if I want to waste a few watts of power while I do the dishes, make myself a snack, or go to the bathroom during a movie?
It is ridiculous, but makes sense to something now. On the startup when you hit that BD data erase menu option it says something about USB not found.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #6169 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,490
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5188 Post(s)
Liked: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Sorry to hear that. That's one problem getting things from Amazon. They don't double box larger boxes and just slap a label on the manufacturer's box. Anyone can see what's inside the box.
NB: There is an option where you can CHOOSE whether they do this or not. But, it's not easy to find.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #6170 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluesky636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
It is ridiculous, but makes sense to something now. On the startup when you hit that BD data erase menu option it says something about USB not found.
Why would one even hit that button if they have no data to erase? I'll admit I did just to see what happened, saw the message and said "Ok". The owner's manual says the USB stick is required for local storage with BDLive. So I guess that is what is being erased. I have no interest in BDLive.
MOberhardt and mrtickleuk like this.
bluesky636 is online now  
post #6171 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Ok so the player arrived for me! Someone was honest and brought it by my house I think. I wasn't home at the time. Overall impressions are that it's amazing in the image quality area. I do have a question that I haven't found the answer to. Is this unit not capable of sending audio out to the TV while sending the lossless track out to my receiver? I know my oppo bdp93 could do it. That way I dont have to go into the settings if I wanna watch a movie using the TV audio. For late night watching and the like.
Viking 29 is online now  
post #6172 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 05:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mostly in Fredworld
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
Ok so the player arrived for me! Someone was honest and brought it by my house I think. I wasn't home at the time. Overall impressions are that it's amazing in the image quality area. I do have a question that I haven't found the answer to. Is this unit not capable of sending audio out to the TV while sending the lossless track out to my receiver? I know my oppo bdp93 could do it. That way I dont have to go into the settings if I wanna watch a movie using the TV audio. For late night watching and the like.

Go into the Settings menu. Try setting HDMI(Video) to "Video+Audio" (not Auto). Doing that will likely disable outputting 4K content.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Marantz AV7704, Epson 5050UB, Stewart Firehawk 16x9 82"; Amplifiers: Parasound HCA 1000A, Parasound HCA 1206; Speakers: Paradigm Monitor v.4 (R/L/BR/BL) ADP-370 (SS), Premier 600C, Hsu sub VTF-2 Mk5; Power Condition: Adcom ACE 315 & 515, Tripplite HT7300PC & HTRL15UPS; Other Sources: Pioneer CLD-D606 & DVL-919, JVC HR-S9600U; Redmere Elite HDMI cable, Monster Mi.2S speaker cable, Kimber Kable interconnects.
fredworld is offline  
post #6173 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Viking 29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alamogordo NM
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I've gotta say I'm thoroughly impressed with bluray upscaling on this thing! I'm not going to say it's as good as a 4k disc but it looks great! Nobody should expect it to look like a 4k disc. I'm not sure my settings are completely correct to match up with a C8 oled though. I don't understand a lot of the options. I've set the TV type to OLED and turned on the HDR optimizer. I'm sure there are things I'm missing. I made sure DV was turned on too.
Viking 29 is online now  
post #6174 of 6345 Old 11-16-2019, 07:41 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Any thoughts to fix lip sync issues? TV is Sony 900F series using Marantz 8805 pass-through. Thanks!
exm is offline  
post #6175 of 6345 Old 11-17-2019, 03:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: København
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
A) you're kidding, surely!
B) why would I want to "update" regular Blu-Rays? If by that you mean allow them to force-play more updated trailers that I don't want, instead of force-playing much older trailers that I don't want, then.... I don't want that.
A: No, I'm not. The player has no internal memory for storing information like the last scene you were on when you switched off the player. Without the USB stick you would start the disc at the beginning when switching the player back on, with the USB it would start where you last stopped it.

B: Besides the basic BD Live functionality, some discs actually get updates over the service (new content, features, menu tweaks/fixes). You'll notice on such discs without the USB the disc will state something along the lines of "An update is available..." on startup.

Last edited by Ken Masters; 11-17-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Ken Masters is offline  
post #6176 of 6345 Old 11-17-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,490
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5188 Post(s)
Liked: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
A: No, I'm not. The player has no internal memory for storing information like the last scene you were on when you switched off the player. Without the USB stick you would start the disc at the beginning when switching the player back on, with the USB it would start where you last stopped it.
I know you are just the messenger so this is nothing against you. I'm very shocked and angry, given the high cost of this player and how cheap RAM is. My 20-year-old Sony DVD player has enough RAM to store resume information for 200 discs. So, I find it ridiculous.

In this day and age, I really expect this to be built in at the factory. And my current 4K player, the terrible Samsung K8500, does not need a USB drive sticking out of it, to support Resume Play. It just works.

Quote:
B: Besides the basic BD Live functionality, some discs actually get updates over the service /new content, features, menu tweaks/fixes). You'll notice on such discs without the USB the disc will state something along the lines of "An update is available..." on startup.
That would be fine, but I've only EVER seen it used for updating trailers
Ken Masters likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 11-17-2019 at 06:19 AM.
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #6177 of 6345 Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
radamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
A: No, I'm not. The player has no internal memory for storing information like the last scene you were on when you switched off the player. Without the USB stick you would start the disc at the beginning when switching the player back on, with the USB it would start where you last stopped it...
Wow, is this true? I really don’t stop in the middle very often. But that is ridiculous in a player at this price point... I guess I will stick a spare usb stick into it for just such an occasion...

Thanks for the heads up.
MOberhardt likes this.

LG OLED65C9, Yamaha RX-A3080, Paradigm Reference Studio 80 Mains, Atmos 5.1.4 config, Panasonic UB820, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K
radamo is online now  
post #6178 of 6345 Old 11-17-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,493
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
A: No, I'm not. The player has no internal memory for storing information like the last scene you were on when you switched off the player. Without the USB stick you would start the disc at the beginning when switching the player back on, with the USB it would start where you last stopped it.

B: Besides the basic BD Live functionality, some discs actually get updates over the service (new content, features, menu tweaks/fixes). You'll notice on such discs without the USB the disc will state something along the lines of "An update is available..." on startup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Wow, is this true? I really don’t stop in the middle very often. But that is ridiculous in a player at this price point... I guess I will stick a spare usb stick into it for just such an occasion...

Thanks for the heads up.
I don't think this is true. I have the UB-820, and have no USB stick inserted into the player. With many Blu-rays that I've watched, when I reinsert the disc, days or weeks later, I will be asked if I want to resume. I don't think this is true for all discs - some have commented on that before - but I am 100% certain that this is the case with some discs.

So perhaps *some* discs will require the USB stick to be present - I don't know anything about that one way or the other - but I know for a fact that this is not the case for all of them.
Jive Turkey and mrtickleuk like this.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #6179 of 6345 Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluesky636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I don't think this is true. I have the UB-820, and have no USB stick inserted into the player. With many Blu-rays that I've watched, when I reinsert the disc, days or weeks later, I will be asked if I want to resume. I don't think this is true for all discs - some have commented on that before - but I am 100% certain that this is the case with some discs.

So perhaps *some* discs will require the USB stick to be present - I don't know anything about that one way or the other - but I know for a fact that this is not the case for all of them.
Seems like this should be easy enough to demonstrate. Has anyone tried to resume a randomly selected disc with/without a USB stick inserted? DVD? Blu-Ray? 4K Blu-Ray? Does the stick need to be formatted or just open up the package and stick it in? If I can find a stick lying around the house today, I'll give it a try when I get home from grocery shopping and walking my dog and report. If I can't find a stick, I'll pick one up at Walmart.
bluesky636 is online now  
post #6180 of 6345 Old 11-17-2019, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can resume many of my discs, this depend of the discs.


HTML Code:
USB device
≥ Connect a USB device while the Home screen
is displayed.
≥ This unit does not guarantee connection with all
USB devices.
≥ This unit does not support USB device
charging.
≥ FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS file systems
are supported.
≥ The USB port on the front of the unit supports
USB 2.0 High Speed and the USB port on the
rear of the unit supports USB 3.0 Super-Speed.
≥ The USB port on the rear of the unit supports an
HDD formatted in FAT32 and NTFS. If the HDD
is not recognized, the power to the HDD may
not be supplied. Supply power from an external
source.
≥ It is not possible to use two USB devices
simultaneously. (> 37)
≥ For playback of 4K videos stored on a USB
device, use USB 3.0 port on rear of the unit and
USB device conforming to USB 3.0.
HTML Code:
Front USB port ( DC 5 V 500 mA)
Back USB port (HDD) ( DC 5 V 900 mA)
This port supports USB 3.0 Super-Speed.
HTML Code:
With “BD-Live” discs, you can enjoy bonus
contents that use Internet access.
For this BD-Live function, connection of a USB
device is necessary along with Internet
connection.
1 Perform network connection and settings.
(> 16, 17)
2 Connect a USB device with 1 GB or more
free space.
≥ The USB device is used as the local
storage.
3 Insert the disc.
∫ Deleting data on the USB device
Select “BD-Video Data Erase” in the HOME
menu (> 19) and press [OK].
HTML Code:
Some operations may not work depending on the
media and contents.
Press [∫STOP].
The stopping point is memorized.
Resume play function
Press [1PLAY] to restart from this point.
≥ The point is cleared if the media is removed.
≥ On BD-Video discs including BD-J, the
resume play function does not work.
Press [;PAUSE].
≥ Press [;PAUSE] again or [1PLAY] to restart
play.
Jive Turkey and DLCPhoto like this.

Last edited by bl4ck; 11-17-2019 at 08:37 AM.
bl4ck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off