Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 207 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5311Likes

post #6181 of 6826 Old 11-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I know you are just the messenger so this is nothing against you. I'm very shocked and angry, given the high cost of this player and how cheap RAM is. My 20-year-old Sony DVD player has enough RAM to store resume information for 200 discs. So, I find it ridiculous.

In this day and age, I really expect this to be built in at the factory. And my current 4K player, the terrible Samsung K8500, does not need a USB drive sticking out of it, to support Resume Play. It just works.
I actually have never owned a BD player that didn't require you to insert an SD card for memory. The only unusual thing to me is that the Panasonic uses a USB drive instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
Most of my 4k discs ask if you want to resume without usb stick. I am pretty sure it store this in the player internal memory. If you clear the bd data I think it will clear this but I have not tried.
All of the Disney and marvel movie ask you if you want to resume.

I don’t know about regular blu rays. I think the blu ray works kind of opposite. I have not played much of those in the Panasonic but usually BDs are not resume friendly which was one of the missing simple features from DVD.
With the USB in place you can resume with regular BDs, but if you remove the disc it won't remember the spot when you insert it again. It's different from the "resume" function of some BDs, there is no resume label or anything like that, the player simply starts playing from the last spot the disc was stopped.

Last edited by Ken Masters; 11-17-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 6826 Old 11-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi all. I am not getting prime video to stream in HDR. Specifically Jack Ryan as it is only showing up SDR on my JVC RS2000 projector. Netflix is fine in HDR. Are my settings incorrect? Or does this player- the 820 not have the capability to do prime video in HDR. If not, what device would allow HDR streaming specifically for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Disney +?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Klipsch RF82BK L+R Speakers|Klipsch RC62BK CC Speaker|Definitive Technology B92X Surrounds|NHT Super One Rear Surrounds|4 Polk MC80 Ceiling Atmos|Velodyne VLF 1012 and Definitive Technology PF1500TL+ SWs|Marantz SR7012 Receiver|Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver for Atmos|JVC RS2000 4K Projector|Amazon FireStick 4K|AppleTV 4K|Panasonic UB820 UHD Blu Ray Player|Seymour Center Stage UF AT 140" diag 2:35 Screen on DIY frame and false front wall
post #6183 of 6826 Old 11-17-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5405 Post(s)
Liked: 7798
Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post
Hi all. I am not getting prime video to stream in HDR. Specifically Jack Ryan as it is only showing up SDR on my JVC RS2000 projector. Netflix is fine in HDR. Are my settings incorrect?
Amazon Prime Video is different to every other streaming service in the entire world. As well as checking your settings, they force you to choose one of two DIFFERENT titles.

The title called "Jack Ryan" is SDR only.
The title called "Jack Ryan 4K UHD" is HDR10 or Dolby Vision.

You can waste hundreds of hours checking settings if you selected the first one, because they have the world's worst streaming UI. Yes, I know it's unbelievable in 2019, and yes, Amazon do not care and refuse to fix this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6184 of 6826 Old 11-17-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Does Disney+ app appear on the UB820?

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #6185 of 6826 Old 11-17-2019, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I’d like to know the answer to this question too, please.
post #6186 of 6826 Old 11-17-2019, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Does Disney+ app appear on the UB820?
No
Slooshy likes this.
post #6187 of 6826 Old 11-17-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 5414 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slooshy View Post
I’d like to know the answer to this question too, please.
Here’s a list of devices that support Disney+:
https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=c...2af56e0f9619db
Slooshy likes this.
post #6188 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
I actually have never owned a BD player that didn't require you to insert an SD card for memory. The only unusual thing to me is that the Panasonic uses a USB drive instead.

With the USB in place you can resume with regular BDs, but if you remove the disc it won't remember the spot when you insert it again. It's different from the "resume" function of some BDs, there is no resume label or anything like that, the player simply starts playing from the last spot the disc was stopped.
UB820 can resume without usb drive.
post #6189 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4ck View Post
Not with all discs. With the USB drive you can resume with any disc (so long as you don't remove it).

I discovered this because my wife and I are watching a series on BD. We don't always get to the end of an episode and it was annoying to have to find the same spot on the disc every time we wanted to continue watching. With the USB drive in place it will resume from the point you hit stop, remove the USB drive and it will start from the beginning of the disc again.
Robbie Racer likes this.
post #6190 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Amazon Prime Video is different to every other streaming service in the entire world. As well as checking your settings, they force you to choose one of two DIFFERENT titles.

You can waste hundreds of hours checking settings if you selected the first one, because they have the world's worst streaming UI. Yes, I know it's unbelievable in 2019, and yes, Amazon do not care and refuse to fix this.
I loved the player no doubt but the the streaming was so bad I returned it and kept my oppo with roku..
I'll wait another year to see if a new player comes out..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by jorgebetancourt; 11-18-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #6191 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Thank you. You are correct. I just found the 4K UHD on prime video. That is crazy! Now only if the 820 can add Disney+ in 4K UHD HDR/Dolby vision we will be all set... no such luck though.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Klipsch RF82BK L+R Speakers|Klipsch RC62BK CC Speaker|Definitive Technology B92X Surrounds|NHT Super One Rear Surrounds|4 Polk MC80 Ceiling Atmos|Velodyne VLF 1012 and Definitive Technology PF1500TL+ SWs|Marantz SR7012 Receiver|Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver for Atmos|JVC RS2000 4K Projector|Amazon FireStick 4K|AppleTV 4K|Panasonic UB820 UHD Blu Ray Player|Seymour Center Stage UF AT 140" diag 2:35 Screen on DIY frame and false front wall
post #6192 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 11:08 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
A USB memory stick needs to be in place at the back of the player in order to resume playback after the player has shut down.....
Quote:
A) you're kidding, surely!...
Quote:
A: No, I'm not. ...Without the USB stick you would start the disc at the beginning when switching the player back on, with the USB it would start where you last stopped it.....
Quote:

Ken: What is the difference between a "regular BD" which you claim must have a USB inserted, and "some BD's" which have a resume function?

Your information is misleading. Readers are interpreting that the 820 has some deficiency compared any other UHD, Blu-ray, or even DVD players. This is simply not the case. As may other 820 owners keep trying to interject - resume play works on the 820 as it works on any other player.

To reiterate: Resume play works with many blu-rays. I did extensive testing with UHDs, BDs and DVDs from various studios. (I also tested two Sony BD players) Resume play exactly matched with all three players. With Blu-rays, as opposed to DVDs, resume play is a feature that must be encoded in the disc. If it is not, no player will be able to resume play. As far as I can tell, the 820 resume play works with all Blu-rays which have it encoded. Certain movie studios never encode it on their discs. Other studios usually always include it. Resume play will not work with any BD-J discs (the "BD-Live" so called feature).

Resume play worked with every DVD I tested. DVD last point viewed data is stored in player memory - making this statement completely off-point: "I actually have never owned a BD player that didn't require you to insert an SD card for memory."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4ck View Post
Quote:
Not with all discs.....
bl4ck didn't claim all discs. They were refuting this claim: "A USB memory stick needs to be in place at the back of the player in order to resume playback after the player has shut down"

Quote:
With the USB drive you can resume with any disc (so long as you don't remove it).

I discovered this because my wife and I are watching a series on BD. .... With the USB drive in place it will resume from the point you hit stop, remove the USB drive and it will start from the beginning of the disc again.
This is clear information, and you may have discovered something that hasn't been realised by everyone. Perhaps with certain Blu-rays (without resume available in the disc), inserting external memory will enable resume play. My guess is that these would be DB-J discs. Please let us know if this series is on a BD-J disc or not. I'll experiment with this and report back. It would also be interesting to know if this external memory trick enables resume play on such discs in other brands of players.

Pip
post #6193 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5405 Post(s)
Liked: 7798
Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post
Thank you. You are correct. I just found the 4K UHD on prime video. That is crazy!
Yep!

Quote:
Now only if the 820 can add Disney+ in 4K UHD HDR/Dolby vision we will be all set... no such luck though.
I'd get that idea out of your head now! They aren't going to add a streaming service which is only available in 3 countries to a world-wide player. Some people have even asked for Vudu, which is only available in ONE country! Not Going To Happen.

It is by all account an excellent disc player. Streaming services can be catered for my a myriad of other devices and built-in apps to TVs.

The resume play thing is interesting. I'm following it closely but my irritations are with the format in general.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #6194 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Ken: What is the difference between a "regular BD" which you claim must have a USB inserted, and "some BD's" which have a resume function?
I mean just that. A disc without a resume function needs the USB inserted in order for you to resume viewing from the point at which you stopped/switched off the player.

Quote:
Your information is misleading. Readers are interpreting that the 820 has some deficiency compared any other UHD, Blu-ray, or even DVD players. This is simply not the case.
I never said it was deficient, I have the 820 and love it.

Quote:
As may other 820 owners keep trying to interject - resume play works on the 820 as it works on any other player.
Perhaps yourself and others didn't use the SD card slots for memory on your previous players? I'm used to my BD players working a certain way, when I found the UB820 didn't have an SD card slot I assumed it had the memory onboard. When I found I couldn't resume a disc from where last I was watching it (as I'm accustomed to doing), I investigated and found a USB stick is required to serve the function of the SD cards I used in previous SD BD players (Panasonic and Sony).

Quote:
To reiterate: Resume play works with many blu-rays. I did extensive testing with UHDs, BDs and DVDs from various studios. (I also tested two Sony BD players) Resume play exactly matched with all three players. With Blu-rays, as opposed to DVDs, resume play is a feature that must be encoded in the disc. If it is not, no player will be able to resume play.
But they do with the USB, or in the case of the other players I've owned, an SD card.

Quote:
Resume play worked with every DVD I tested. DVD last point viewed data is stored in player memory - making this statement completely off-point: "I actually have never owned a BD player that didn't require you to insert an SD card for memory."
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Hopefully what I'm trying to say is a bit more clear now.

Quote:
This is clear information, and you may have discovered something that hasn't been realised by everyone. Perhaps with certain Blu-rays (without resume available in the disc), inserting external memory will enable resume play.
That's all I'm trying to point out.

Quote:
My guess is that these would be DB-J discs. Please let us know if this series is on a BD-J disc or not. I'll experiment with this and report back. It would also be interesting to know if this external memory trick enables resume play on such discs in other brands of players.
I don't believe so, it has no BD-Live features, there's no Java logo to be seen anywhere - it's the Danish Blu-ray boxset of a series called "Matador".

Last edited by Ken Masters; 11-18-2019 at 12:40 PM.
post #6195 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2528 Post(s)
Liked: 1796
Quote:
(snip)

I'd get that idea out of your head now! They aren't going to add a streaming service which is only available in 3 countries to a world-wide player. Some people have even asked for Vudu, which is only available in ONE country! Not Going To Happen.

(snip)
Wouldn't the same argument apply to, say, Roku?

And yet Roku has added Disney +.

I don't understand the relation between Panasonic and the US. They don't, for example, sell OLED TVs here anymore. In the old days (when the company was known as Matsu****a, and Panasonic was just one of their brands), I could imagine them making products purely for the US market.
post #6196 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
I mean just that. A disc without a resume function....

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Hopefully what I'm trying to say is a bit more clear now....

That's all I'm trying to point out....
Thanks for clarifying.

Interesting reading on this topic:https://bobpariseau.com/blog/2018/5/...mug-of-bd-java

Pip
DLCPhoto likes this.
post #6197 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I'm currently watching LOTR extended BD on this player. I honestly have never seen it look better! I've pretty much just left the default settings for BD. I don't think it's placebo as I'm usually a skeptic about upscaling. Very satisfied with everything I've thrown into it so far.
post #6198 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Wow. I never realized that my question about resuming play after the player shuts down following pause would result in such a lengthy and interesting discussion. I have picked up a USB stick but haven't had time to experiment. I did, however notice for the first time last night a message pop up as the blu-ray started to play. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was something to the effect of "Shutdown timer has been initiated." Anybody else notice this message?
post #6199 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 5414 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying.

Interesting reading on this topic:https://bobpariseau.com/blog/2018/5/...mug-of-bd-java

Pip
Thanks for the link, and of course thanks to Bob Pariseau for the informative article.
post #6200 of 6826 Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 816
BD Java is an abomination and I wish it was never invented. You don't need it for disc mastering (you can make your own, same as AVCHD format, menus and all) and resume works fine on these. As an example, if you have the old Black Hawk Down blu ray, that one is non BDJ and resume works on it so long as the player disc memory stores it. I put it in my PS3 about 6 years after I last saw it and it asked me if I wanted to resume (the PS3 has infinite resume memory). BDJ disc though, my god what a mess. I don't mind it too much for movies as I try not to stop miday, but for TV series it is a frigging nightmare. And so many don't support resume.
post #6201 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Make UB820 as region free?

Hello everybody

I am thinking about purchasing this blu ray to be able to watch 4K, and I already purchased Epson projector 5050UB.

Since Oppo stopped production, my main concern is how to make blu ray player such as this as region free. I checked Amazon for various region free models for 4k capable blu ray players, and I did not see Panasonic UB 820 as region free choice.

Does anybody know how to make this as region free. There was always some kits available for Oppo models, and this problem gives me a headache since I have more than 1000 blu rays purchased from all over the world.

Thanks
post #6202 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 2148
No. There is no hardware kit like for the Oppo. Software discussion on this topic is not permitted on AVS.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #6203 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
No. There is no hardware kit like for the Oppo. Software discussion on this topic is not permitted on AVS.
OK, but this is general question.

What would be the difference between software solution and hardware kit?

Thanks
post #6204 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 2148
Hardware solution like Oppo does not modify the players firmware.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #6205 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 1148
For those who have paired the UB820 with a projector, when you have your player set to do SDR 2020 and want proper tone mapping, what are the settings you have settled on for the dynamic range adjustment slider? I just had my projector calibrated and my projector is putting out 132 nits currently. I have read in previous posts by others that I should aim for a 5x target and that I should adjust the slider into the negative to achieve that. However, in practice, I have found that picture to be just horrible and much prefer the picture with an adjustment of around +7. Was there a firmware change or something that could have changed this procedure from going into the negative numbers to now going into the positive numbers to get the proper tone mapping setup?
post #6206 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
For those who have paired the UB820 with a projector, when you have your player set to do SDR 2020 and want proper tone mapping, what are the settings you have settled on for the dynamic range adjustment slider? I just had my projector calibrated and my projector is putting out 132 nits currently. I have read in previous posts by others that I should aim for a 5x target and that I should adjust the slider into the negative to achieve that. However, in practice, I have found that picture to be just horrible and much prefer the picture with an adjustment of around +7. Was there a firmware change or something that could have changed this procedure from going into the negative numbers to now going into the positive numbers to get the proper tone mapping setup?
There is no single answer for this. After you have calibrated your projector to SDR gamma 2.4 and set the UB820 to SDR2020 then the rest is really your own personal preference. It will definitely depend on the content that you are watching. I have found that some movies are just so dark that you need a bigger adjustment (Solo: A Star Wars Story is the worst offender) compared to others, specifically nature documentaries (Planet Earth 2, Blue Planet, etc.), which seem to look great at 0 setting on the slider.

It all comes down to how the HDR was mastered. Unfortunately there is not much universality in this step and, though it seems to be improving with new releases, many existing releases seem to have inconsistencies. For example, I have watched more than one title where "black" is at best a dark grey.

Epson 6040ub
Denon AVR-X3400H + Mirage OMD-5 surrounds
Home-made Hybrid PCB Electrostatic Floorstanding L+R Speakers (with built-in DSP + amps)
Home-made sub with 15" Ultimax woofer, Dayton SA1000 Amp
Sony PS4, Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #6207 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt7272 View Post
There is no single answer for this. After you have calibrated your projector to SDR gamma 2.4 and set the UB820 to SDR2020 then the rest is really your own personal preference. It will definitely depend on the content that you are watching. I have found that some movies are just so dark that you need a bigger adjustment (Solo: A Star Wars Story is the worst offender) compared to others, specifically nature documentaries (Planet Earth 2, Blue Planet, etc.), which seem to look great at 0 setting on the slider.

It all comes down to how the HDR was mastered. Unfortunately there is not much universality in this step and, though it seems to be improving with new releases, many existing releases seem to have inconsistencies. For example, I have watched more than one title where "black" is at best a dark grey.

Thanks for the reply. I do understand the differences in how HDR content being mastered at different nits values would impact the adjustments made. I was just confused by all the talk about setting the slider to negative values to adjust the brightness up. That is not the case as far as I can tell with my setup so I was just trying to understand if there was a firmware change that impacted that guidance or something. I did notice that on darker movies with a lot of night time scenes, +7 was pretty good for me, whereas some movies like Captain Marvel or Guardians of the Galaxy 2 looked best at +12, so quite a difference there for sure.
post #6208 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do understand the differences in how HDR content being mastered at different nits values would impact the adjustments made. I was just confused by all the talk about setting the slider to negative values to adjust the brightness up. That is not the case as far as I can tell with my setup so I was just trying to understand if there was a firmware change that impacted that guidance or something. I did notice that on darker movies with a lot of night time scenes, +7 was pretty good for me, whereas some movies like Captain Marvel or Guardians of the Galaxy 2 looked best at +12, so quite a difference there for sure.
The mid-point of the slider is 300 nits. If you move the slider to the left (negative) the result is reduced brightness but increased contrast. If you move the slider to the right (positive) the result is increased brightness but reduced contrast.

I get around 90 nits to my 118 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. I can't imagine watching any content at +12. For most content I leave the slider at the mid-point. +2 to +3 for darker content and -1 for extremely bright content. I prefer contrast over brightness.
CincyNick likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #6209 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
The mid-point of the slider is 300 nits. If you move the slider to the left (negative) the result is reduced brightness but increased contrast. If you move the slider to the right (positive) the result is increased brightness but reduced contrast.

I get around 90 nits to my 118 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. I can't imagine watching any content at +12. For most content I leave the slider at the mid-point. +2 to +3 for darker content and -1 for extremely bright content. I prefer contrast over brightness.

Excellent, thanks for the response! That helps!
post #6210 of 6826 Old 11-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not with all discs. With the USB drive you can resume with any disc (so long as you don't remove it).

I discovered this because my wife and I are watching a series on BD. We don't always get to the end of an episode and it was annoying to have to find the same spot on the disc every time we wanted to continue watching. With the USB drive in place it will resume from the point you hit stop, remove the USB drive and it will start from the beginning of the disc again.
I tried a USB drive and it did not change the resume function of any BD discs. Is there something that needs to be done with the USB drive other than inserting it?

Pip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page