Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5180Likes

post #6211 of 6357 Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do understand the differences in how HDR content being mastered at different nits values would impact the adjustments made. I was just confused by all the talk about setting the slider to negative values to adjust the brightness up. That is not the case as far as I can tell with my setup so I was just trying to understand if there was a firmware change that impacted that guidance or something. I did notice that on darker movies with a lot of night time scenes, +7 was pretty good for me, whereas some movies like Captain Marvel or Guardians of the Galaxy 2 looked best at +12, so quite a difference there for sure.
The mid-point of the slider is 300 nits. If you move the slider to the left (negative) the result is reduced brightness but increased contrast. If you move the slider to the right (positive) the result is increased brightness but reduced contrast.

I get around 90 nits to my 118 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. I can't imagine watching any content at +12. For most content I leave the slider at the mid-point. +2 to +3 for darker content and -1 for extremely bright content. I prefer contrast over brightness.
CincyNick likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6357 Old 11-19-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
The mid-point of the slider is 300 nits. If you move the slider to the left (negative) the result is reduced brightness but increased contrast. If you move the slider to the right (positive) the result is increased brightness but reduced contrast.

I get around 90 nits to my 118 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. I can't imagine watching any content at +12. For most content I leave the slider at the mid-point. +2 to +3 for darker content and -1 for extremely bright content. I prefer contrast over brightness.

Excellent, thanks for the response! That helps!
post #6213 of 6357 Old 11-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
Not with all discs. With the USB drive you can resume with any disc (so long as you don't remove it).

I discovered this because my wife and I are watching a series on BD. We don't always get to the end of an episode and it was annoying to have to find the same spot on the disc every time we wanted to continue watching. With the USB drive in place it will resume from the point you hit stop, remove the USB drive and it will start from the beginning of the disc again.
I tried a USB drive and it did not change the resume function of any BD discs. Is there something that needs to be done with the USB drive other than inserting it?

Pip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6214 of 6357 Old 11-19-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
I tried a USB drive and it did not change the resume function of any BD discs. Is there something that needs to be done with the USB drive other than inserting it?

Pip
Yeah, I've done the same with no noticable difference.

I should try with a known non BD-J disc like the old Black Hawk Down, see how that behaves.
post #6215 of 6357 Old 11-19-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
There is no added "resume" menu option, when you stop the disc (with a single button press) and switch off the player, when switching the player back on you simply hit play and the disc will resume from the exact point you left it. You should have to do anything with the drive other than have it correctly formatted.
post #6216 of 6357 Old 11-20-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have you tried the Amazon video app to me from problems with subtitles that remain cut in half at the bottom of the screen how should I do?
post #6217 of 6357 Old 11-21-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

So, it looks like with your 90 nits you are just under around 3x at the default setting. With my 133 nits I would need to be around +4 or +5 to be comparable. I have been watching more movies and I do find myself leaning toward a +5 or +6 setting now to preserve some contrast but still get decent brightness.
post #6218 of 6357 Old 11-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Hello everyone! I just put in my order for the UB820; looking forward to the great 4K UHD video.

I see this thread has a great 208 pages to catch up on; please forgive any questions i might have that are already addressed; i will try to read through the whole thread.

I came here because: i incorrectly relied on my xbox one x to play 4K UHD movie discs; and the HDR is too dark for my Optoma UHD60; so i would output 4K, w/o HDR; but noticed the image was always dim and kind of colorless looking. I should have realized something was wrong sooner.

Disney+ app got me thinking; because it won't allow Dolby Atmos unless you have Dolby Vision; and it won't pass you 4K unless you have HDR turned on. (since I would mostly view 4K SDR)

Then i read about 8bit and 10bit settings on the xbox; 8bit being better.

Was testing the Vudu app 8bit; it won't allow you any 4K. Putting 10bit on; the Vudu app really shines with 4K, HDR, atmos. For me, Vudu 4K UHD w/o HDR and Atmos is the ticket! The imagery is amazing! 4K SDR 2020; and I was like, why do my 4K UHD movies in SDR not look like this? Then i remembered the xbox doesn't do color properly.

Hence, getting the UB820 for that 4K UHD SDR2020 goodness; HDR optimization, sliders; etc; looking forward to testing that this weekend.

In the meantime, Vudu 4K UHD SDR 2020 Atmos is honestly impressive for streaming quality; but I like my movie discs for sure.
I have been comparing the Avengers Endgame Vudu 4K vs. my 4K UHD disc; and the differences are astounding on xbox. (lol, the vudu app does 4K better than 4K UHD; in the case of my projector and xbox's failing)

Thanks
post #6219 of 6357 Old 11-21-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
While watching the Blu-Ray Director's Cut version of Alien tonight, the pause timer went off and the player shut down. I hit the Play button on the remote and things came back to life and a message popped up asking if I wanted to resume play. I hit OK and the movie started up where it had stopped. No USB thumb drive is installed.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #6220 of 6357 Old 11-22-2019, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 84
If I set the UB820 to 1080p output mode would my 4K television do the upscaling on a Blu Ray disk ?

I'm guessing that the 820 is preferred for upscaling not the TV ? (LG B6)

LG B6 (Chad B. calibrated)
Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
Custom HTPC/Emby WMC/MPC-BE/MadVR
post #6221 of 6357 Old 11-22-2019, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post
While watching the Blu-Ray Director's Cut version of Alien tonight, the pause timer went off and the player shut down. I hit the Play button on the remote and things came back to life and a message popped up asking if I wanted to resume play. I hit OK and the movie started up where it had stopped. No USB thumb drive is installed.
Heh, I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone here discussing this across another dimension or something.

With discs that support resume you don't need the USB, it's with discs that don't have a message that pops up to ask if you want to resume play that it's required. In these cases you hit stop once, then switch off the player. When you switch the player back on, you wait a moment for it to start up properly, then hit play. The disc will simply resume from where last you were viewing it, no messages, no menus.

Perhaps somehow I am completely turned around on this. I find it bizarre that I seem to be the only person aware of this. It has worked this way on all my previous Blu-ray players (with an SD card inserted, not that I tested at the time if this was a requirement for it to work), it is only with this player where I didn't insert some manner of storage (as it did not have an SD card slot) that I found I could not do this. I tried the USB and it worked, eureka! I remove the USB and it stops working - ergo, the USB drive is what makes the difference.

There might be something I'm completely missing here, I can't account for my being alone on this, but I am at a loss as to what more I can say. Perhaps I'm just mad, or you all don't come from a world where Bernie Sanders is president.
David Ortiz and Mike__P like this.
post #6222 of 6357 Old 11-22-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
Heh, I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone here discussing this across another dimension or something.

With discs that support resume you don't need the USB, it's with discs that don't have a message that pops up to ask if you want to resume play that it's required. In these cases you hit stop once, then switch off the player. When you switch the player back on, you wait a moment for it to start up properly, then hit play. The disc will simply resume from where last you were viewing it, no messages, no menus.

Perhaps somehow I am completely turned around on this. I find it bizarre that I seem to be the only person aware of this. It has worked this way on all my previous Blu-ray players (with an SD card inserted, not that I tested at the time if this was a requirement for it to work), it is only with this player where I didn't insert some manner of storage (as it did not have an SD card slot) that I found I could not do this. I tried the USB and it worked, eureka! I remove the USB and it stops working - ergo, the USB drive is what makes the difference.

There might be something I'm completely missing here, I can't account for my being alone on this, but I am at a loss as to what more I can say. Perhaps I'm just mad, or you all don't come from a world where Bernie Sanders is president.

Yes, there is something you are missing here.

1. I see absolutely no reason or value for Panasonic to arbitrarily start some timer that shuts down the player after 20 minutes or so "to save on electricity". How much electricity does this really save? Does Panasonic sell enough players worldwide to really make a dent in power usage? Interestingly, the manual states that this function operates "automatically depending on the media". That implies that there is some media that doesn't cause this to happen but they don't identify the media. In any case, this should be a user option not a manufacturer mandate.

2. Given #1 above or any other time that the player is shut down in mid-play with the disc left in it, the manual states "On BD-Video discs including BD-J, the resume play function does not work". How do we tell if a disc includes BD-J?

3. Given #1 above or any other time that the player is shut down in mid-play with the disc left in it, it has been stated that some discs will resume play, some discs will resume play if a formatted USB stick is inserted, and some discs will never resume play (BD-J discs?). How do we know in advance which discs will support resume? There is no mention in the owner's manual about inserting a USB stick to support resume. Is this something you just discovered on your own? How did you format the drive? The manual states FAT 12/16/32 or NTFS. Again, as in #1 , resume should be a user option and not left to the manufacturer of the disc or player.

Not blaiming you, but there is a real lack of clarity in a lot of the descriptions of player functions in the user manual. Nothing unusual there, I guess, just very annoying.

Bill
post #6223 of 6357 Old 11-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I’m having audio dropouts in DTS with Dunkirk. No issues with DD.

I have the player connected directly to the TV (Sony 950g ) and using earc to my Pioneer elite receiver.

Has anyone else had issues with this disc and DTS ?

I have the audio settings set to PCM, should i switch it to bitstream?

Think before you speak....

Last edited by Yankees24; 11-23-2019 at 05:20 PM.
post #6224 of 6357 Old 11-23-2019, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
I’m having audio dropouts in DTS with Dunkirk. No issues with DD.

I have the player connected directly to the TV (Sony 950g ) and using earc to my Pioneer elite receiver.

Why are you running it using eArc? Optimal if your pioneer doesn’t support UHD would be to run the video to the display and run the second hdmi to the receiver for audio.
tngiloy likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #6225 of 6357 Old 11-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, there is something you are missing here.

1. I see absolutely no reason or value for Panasonic to arbitrarily start some timer that shuts down the player after 20 minutes or so "to save on electricity". ..., this should be a user option not a manufacturer mandate.
I don't see what Ken is missing. Neither he nor anyone else is defending Panasonic's decision to implement this non-defeatable auto-off function. I think everyone agrees that this should be a user option.

Quote:
2. Given...the manual states "On BD-Video discs including BD-J, the resume play function does not work". How do we tell if a disc includes BD-J?...
...How do we know in advance which discs will support resume?...
...resume should be a user option and not left to the manufacturer of the disc or player...
This is the same problem with all BD players. To document how confusing and universal this problem is, I again direct your attention here: https://bobpariseau.com/blog/2018/5/...mug-of-bd-java. Bob's article clearly explains why we can't tell in advance which discs have resume play, why we will never have a mandatory resume play feature, and why these issues have nothing to do with the player manufacturers.

Quote:
3....it has been stated that some discs will resume play, some discs will resume play if a formatted USB stick is inserted, and some discs will never resume play (BD-J discs?). .....There is no mention in the owner's manual about inserting a USB stick to support resume. Is this something you just discovered on your own? ...
I think Ken is stating that all discs will resume play if a memory stick is inserted in the blu-ray player. To my knowledge, no one else has ever chimed in with this hack, so it seems he has discovered this on his own. I have tried to duplicate this, but so far, I can't get it to work.

Quote:
..... there is a real lack of clarity in a lot of the descriptions of player functions in the user manual. Nothing unusual there, I guess, just very annoying.
Indeed this is annoying, but with the one exception of Oppo, I find all BD player manuals equally unclear, but as far as resume play is concerned, it's not their fault.

Pip
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #6226 of 6357 Old 11-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 36
What is the difference between 12bit Priority and 10bit Priority on the ub820? My TV (q6fn) is only capable of displaying 4:4:4 in PC Mode. I currently have the 820 in 12 bit Priority and 4K/60p Output at 4:4:4. Should I change those?
am2model3 likes this.
post #6227 of 6357 Old 11-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Quote:
I’️m having audio dropouts in DTS with Dunkirk. No issues with DD.

Why are you running it using eArc? Optimal if your pioneer doesn’️t support UHD would be to run the video to the display and run the second hdmi to the receiver for audio.
My receiver does support UHD, but i guess it’s an option to use the 2nd hdmi for audio.

I’ll test it , thanks

post #6228 of 6357 Old 11-23-2019, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Quote:
My receiver does support UHD, but i guess it’s an option to use the 2nd hdmi for audio.

I’ll test it , thanks
If your receiver supports UHD run it through the receiver and out to your display.
tngiloy likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #6229 of 6357 Old 11-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Quote:
My receiver does support UHD, but i guess it’️s an option to use the 2nd hdmi for audio.

I’️ll test it , thanks
If your receiver supports UHD run it through the receiver and out to your display.
I hear you..maybe it’s my OCD lol, but I like the direct connection (don’t like the extra step), looks like using the 2nd hdmi resolved they audio issue.

Apparently the earc is hard coded on the Sony for DD and using DTS for playback can produce some issues. At least the Panasonic plays it with minor dropouts , my old Samsung 8500 would not play it in DTS at all with the same setup.

post #6230 of 6357 Old 11-23-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't see what Ken is missing. Neither he nor anyone else is defending Panasonic's decision to implement this non-defeatable auto-off function. I think everyone agrees that this should be a user option.

This is the same problem with all BD players. To document how confusing and universal this problem is, I again direct your attention here: https://bobpariseau.com/blog/2018/5/...mug-of-bd-java. Bob's article clearly explains why we can't tell in advance which discs have resume play, why we will never have a mandatory resume play feature, and why these issues have nothing to do with the player manufacturers.

I think Ken is stating that all discs will resume play if a memory stick is inserted in the blu-ray player. To my knowledge, no one else has ever chimed in with this hack, so it seems he has discovered this on his own. I have tried to duplicate this, but so far, I can't get it to work.

Indeed this is annoying, but with the one exception of Oppo, I find all BD player manuals equally unclear, but as far as resume play is concerned, it's not their fault.

Pip
Excuse me for expressing my opinion. It won't happen again.
post #6231 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5196 Post(s)
Liked: 7523
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
What is the difference between 12bit Priority and 10bit Priority on the ub820? My TV (q6fn) is only capable of displaying 4:4:4 in PC Mode.
That 4:4:4 restriction is the case with pretty much all TVs anyway. They have to disable a lot of processing to be able to display 4:4:4, particularly at 4K60.

Quote:
I currently have the 820 in 12 bit Priority and 4K/60p Output at 4:4:4. Should I change those?
Someone else will confirm but in general 12 bit will be better unless your particularly TV doesn't downsample well enough from 12 bit. (There shouldn't be any extra content in the extra 2 bits in the signal anyway but it means it can then use the 12bit 4:2:2 mode, which has no corresponding 10 bit 4:2:2 mode - see my sig)
am2model3 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #6232 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by annisman View Post
If I set the UB820 to 1080p output mode would my 4K television do the upscaling on a Blu Ray disk ?

I'm guessing that the 820 is preferred for upscaling not the TV ? (LG B6)
I was hoping someone with a professional opinion would respond to your question since I've been wondering the same thing. Just a "guess"... if you consider the LG B6 is 2016 technology and the UB820 is 2018 technology and with reading all the glowing reports on the fantastic job the 820 does with upscaling.. right or wrong... I've been "assuming" the 820 would be the preferred option for upscaling over the B6. Unfortunately I'm no longer up to speed on the upscaling capabilities of the B6. For all I know the B6 would do a better job. I've tried both ways... both look good and can't say I notice any difference. Then again I never spent any time testing with different discs etc. Hopefully someone more familiar with the 820 and B6 can offer a more definitive response.

LG OLED65B6P - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Roku Ultra - Chromecast Ultra - PC Gaming Console - Panasonic DP-UB820
post #6233 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 08:55 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quote:
Excuse me for expressing my opinion. It won't happen again.
Perhaps I wasn’t clear, but you have misunderstood me. I thought it was clear that I agree with each of your opinions. I was merely trying to answer your very good questions, and shed some light as to why resume play is such a problem with blu-ray.

In trying to find if any of our opinions differ, It’s possible we disagree as to whether the player manufacturers are the cause of these problems.

On that issue I defer to Bob’s article.

Pip
Bytehoven and tngiloy like this.
post #6234 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn’t clear, but you have misunderstood me. I thought it was clear that I agree with each of your opinions. I was merely trying to answer your very good questions, and shed some light as to why resume play is such a problem with blu-ray.

In trying to find if any of our opinions differ, It’s possible we disagree as to whether the player manufacturers are the cause of these problems.

On that issue I defer to Bob’s article.

Pip

My apologies for misunderstanding.

Bill
post #6235 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just bought this player and set it up to A JVC DLA-X5500/RS420. It keeps saying "connected tv does not support 4k(50p/60p)".
Im using exact same kind of Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed 25ft cable as i use for my Oppo UDP 203 without any issues.

Last edited by teachsac; 11-24-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Removed quote
post #6236 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krak66 View Post
I just bought this player and set it up to A JVC DLA-X5500/RS420. It keeps saying "connected tv does not support 4k(50p/60p)".
Im using exact same kind of Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed 25ft cable as i use for my Oppo UDP 203 without any issues.
Isn't that for Europe ?....mine is set to off/auto I think

post #6237 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Yes its both the european version of the player and projektor - but i assume it shouldnt make a difference (i hope)? When i press HJDr botton it just say This function is only valid during HDR vdeo output.
post #6238 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
We'll try this again (I was not trying to talk price, I didn't even think about it the first time, sorry)

From a Blu Ray standpoint...how does the Panasonic UB820 compare to my Elite BDP-62FD?...I will be upgrading to a 4k projector later this year but thought about grabbing it now.

Will this Panasonic be a better Blu Ray player right now as well? Or should I wait to get this Panasonic when I actually get my 4k projector?

Edit: I should clarify that this will be hooked up to a 1080p projector for now. I wondered how this performed as just a BDP and not an UBDP.

Thanks.

@Krak66 you quoted me, but I'm guessing it's gone too, what did you say?

Again mods/admins...sorry. When I mentioned price it was merely to point out what I was going for. My bad.

post #6239 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 03:12 PM

Sorry it was a missquote, just trying to figure this new player out (cant you edit your posts?). Anyway it seems that the Panasonic display only 8 bit and the Oppo 12 bit - when it searches for my 4k TV it chooses a 8bit setup it seems.
post #6240 of 6357 Old 11-24-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krak66 View Post
It is still possible that it is the HDMI cable.

If you used the Oppo to watch UHD and HD Blu-Rays only, then you never exceeded 13.4 Gbps. With the Panasonic, 4K60 can be either

4K60 4:2:0 up to 13.4 Gbps
4K60 4:4:4 at 8-bit only which is 17.8 Gbps.

If you have the 4K60 setting in the UB820 set to 4:4:4, try changing it to 4:2:0.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page