Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 223 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5795Likes

post #6661 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Does the HDR Slider work with Dolby Vision or is that disabled too? Does the TV Type setting make a difference with Dolby Vision? The HDR Optimizer is only part of the Panny secret sauce...so what about these other settings?

I recently bought a UB420, sold my UB820 and pocketed the difference. I did this because the players are functionally identical except for DV. Since I have a projector I don’t care about that.

Immediately after selling the UB820 I started questioning if I did the right thing and/or if a projector would ever benefit from DV. Reading the HDR Optimizer doesn’t do anything with DV anyway, I’m somewhat relieved I guess. Just wondering about those other settings I mentioned...
Dreamliner dont know if you been reading the other thread but now you can DV if u buy a vertex.. I'm doing it already and it looks amazing.. you will need a player that can do dv or an apple tv.. Best thing since slice bread..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Dreamliner dont know if you been reading the other thread but now you can DV if u buy a vertex.. I'm doing it already and it looks amazing.. you will need a player that can do dv or an apple tv.. Best thing since slice bread..

Are you referring to that thread here?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...rojectors.html

I have been trying to follow that thread, but I thought it didn't seem to work for Panasonics very well?

If this is the thread, is it easy to setup? I am interested in it, but am finding it pretty confusing. I came in too late.
post #6663 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
Dolby Vision licensing prohibits any type of alteration to the video stream. So, yes, this applies to any Dolby Vision encoded disc on any licensed Dolby Vision enabled player.

However, as required, there is also an HDR-10 base layer on every UHD Blu-ray disc. If you prefer to use HDR Optimizer, just disable "Dolby Vision" in the player's setup menu.
Quote:
And that is the correct behavior... but the OP has stated that the "HDR Optimizer" is disabled when playing Dolby Vision discs (which is also "correct" behavior). So, if he prefers to use the HDR Optimizer function (for whatever the reasoning might be), then he must disable the Dolby Vision setting (in the player) which will force the player to read the HDR-10 layer which enables the use of the HDR Optimizer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
We understand that. But the OP expressly asked why the Optimizer did not work when he played Dolby Vision discs.

The answer is that the HDR Optimizer is disabled when processing any Dolby Vision content.

If the OP wants to use the HDR Optimizer for all discs, he would need to turn off the Dolby Vision option in the UB820. With Dolby Vision turned off, the Optimizer would process the HDR10 layer of the Dolby Vision disc. It would be his to choose between Dolby Vision or HDR10 with Optimizer.
Thank you for the explanations guys.

This information has lead me to the core of my real question...Dolby Vision or HDR10 with Optimizer?

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but In a general sense, what is expected to provide better picture quality (colors, sharpness, luminance) on Dolby Vision 4K discs, HDR10 with HDR Optimizer turned on or just Dolby Vision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6664 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Are you referring to that thread here?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...rojectors.html

I have been trying to follow that thread, but I thought it didn't seem to work for Panasonics very well?

If this is the thread, is it easy to setup? I am interested in it, but am finding it pretty confusing. I came in too late.
I dont know how to copy the thread into this one. Here is a pic of the thread I'm sure u can find it.

post #6665 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Does the HDR Slider work with Dolby Vision or is that disabled too? Does the TV Type setting make a difference with Dolby Vision? The HDR Optimizer is only part of the Panny secret sauce...so what about these other settings?

I recently bought a UB420, sold my UB820 and pocketed the difference. I did this because the players are functionally identical except for DV. Since I have a projector I don’t care about that.

Immediately after selling the UB820 I started questioning if I did the right thing and/or if a projector would ever benefit from DV. Reading the HDR Optimizer doesn’t do anything with DV anyway, I’m somewhat relieved I guess. Just wondering about those other settings I mentioned...
Anything that says "HDR" only supports HDR10. Anything that says "Dolby Vision" only supports Dolby Vision. Before you ask, HDR Optimizer is disabled for HDR10+. This is all in the owner's manual.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
post #6666 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post
Anything that says "HDR" only supports HDR10. Anything that says "Dolby Vision" only supports Dolby Vision. Before you ask, HDR Optimizer is disabled for HDR10+. This is all in the owner's manual.
That does not address my post at all. The UB9000/820/420 have a handful of image processing settings: 1) SDR Conversion 2) TV Type 3) HDR Slider 4) HDR Optimizer.

Obviously if we're talking about Dolby Vision we're not using SDR Conversion. You've stated HDR Optimizer disabled, but what of TV Type & HDR Slider?

In TV Type if you select OLED vs LCD for example, the resulting image should be different. Likewise the HDR Slider works even during SDR conversion. So what happens with these things for Dolby Vision?

If you don't know for absolute certain, do not guess.
post #6667 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That does not address my post at all. The UB9000/820/420 have a handful of image processing settings: 1) SDR Conversion 2) TV Type 3) HDR Slider 4) HDR Optimizer.

Obviously if we're talking about Dolby Vision we're not using SDR Conversion. You've stated HDR Optimizer disabled, but what of TV Type & HDR Slider?

In TV Type if you select OLED vs LCD for example, the resulting image should be different. Likewise the HDR Slider works even during SDR conversion. So what happens with these things for Dolby Vision?

First of all, none of my answers have been guesses.

Secondly, if you don't like my answers, I suggest you try the settings yourself and report what you find. I'm done wasting my time.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #6668 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post
First of all, none of my answers have been guesses.

Secondly, if you don't like my answers, I suggest you try the settings yourself and report what you find. I'm done wasting my time.
I asked you not to guess simply to stop misinformation from starting. Sometimes people try to be 'helpful' and contribute information that isn't factual and it can derail a conversation.

I don't have a DV display so I don't have a way to test. You chose not to answer so I assume you do not know. That is fine, I just want to be very specific as to what works and does not work with Dolby Vision as the "HDR Optimizer" is simply a single setting.
post #6669 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 6294 Post(s)
Liked: 2652
Quote:

As mentioned in the owners manual, the entire page of Video Settings, not just HDR Optimizer, is locked out (disabled) for Dolby Vision.
mrtickleuk and Phillihp23 like this.

JVC DLA-X550R; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Linker / Vertex 2; ATV4K; Sony UBP-X700
JVC Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #6670 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Ok testing the Joker scene with Joker standing with his face on the bathroom door while he's talking to his mother on my lg c9 I tried Dolby Vision and noticed the macroblocking wasnt present but on HDR with optimizer on turned on on the Panasonic it was clearly visible but I turned off the HDR optimizer setting and turned on the lg dynamic tone mapping and the macroblocking wasnt present so then I turned both HDR optimizer and the lg dynamic tone mapping on and it wasnt present so that makes me believe the HDR optimizer setting alone turned on is the culprit

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
ToonMasterTim likes this.
post #6671 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
As mentioned in the owners manual, the entire page of Video Settings, not just HDR Optimizer, is locked out (disabled) for Dolby Vision.
Does the TV Type setting in the Player Settings Menu do anything if the HDR Optimizer is not enabled?

If the answer is no, that would mean for DV playback, the UB9000/820/420 has basically identical output to any other DV player, correct?
post #6672 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I asked you not to guess simply to stop misinformation from starting. Sometimes people try to be 'helpful' and contribute information that isn't factual and it can derail a conversation.

I don't have a DV display so I don't have a way to test. You chose not to answer so I assume you do not know. That is fine, I just want to be very specific as to what works and does not work with Dolby Vision as the "HDR Optimizer" is simply a single setting.
I chose not to answer because if this is the way you respond to people who are trying to help, you need to work on your people skills, on line and probably in real life. If this forum still allows members to block or ignore other members, I'll be adding you to my list.

Buh-Bye
ToonMasterTim and mrtickleuk like this.
post #6673 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6674 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystickid View Post
Thank you for the explanations guys.

This information has lead me to the core of my real question...Dolby Vision or HDR10 with Optimizer?

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but In a general sense, what is expected to provide better picture quality (colors, sharpness, luminance) on Dolby Vision 4K discs, HDR10 with HDR Optimizer turned on or just Dolby Vision?
On my display, Dolby Vision most often provides the best results, but since you have the ability to try both, let your own eyes be the judge.

For me, the biggest benefit of HDR Optimizer is having the ability reign in the nits that would otherwise blow out the highlights on my OLED and, as a result, make a basic HDR10 disc appear closer to what Dolby Vision encodes provide by default.
post #6675 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my display, Dolby Vision most often provides the best results, but since you have the ability to try both, let your own eyes be the judge.

For me, the biggest benefit of HDR Optimizer is having the ability reign in the nits that would otherwise blow out the highlights on my OLED and, as a result, make a basic HDR10 disc appear closer to what Dolby Vision encodes provide by default.
I'm a projectr user so don't know, but how do you set it up with a Dolby Vision TV? You enable DV on the player (which is something you have to do from settings, before playback). So what happens if the title you play a non DV title? Does it then allow you to use the optimizer? Eg is the lockout of optimizer only during DV media playback?
post #6676 of 7994 Old 01-09-2020, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I'm a projectr user so don't know, but how do you set it up with a Dolby Vision TV? You enable DV on the player (which is something you have to do from settings, before playback). So what happens if the title you play a non DV title? Does it then allow you to use the optimizer? Eg is the lockout of optimizer only during DV media playback?
Do DV television accept HDR material? Or only DV material?
You pose an interesting question.... I image they don’t accept HDR material much like a projector may only accept HDR material and not DV material. In which case it is my understanding if it doesn’t accept the material the function will not be usable on the player. There may be televisions that accept both though. Guess it would depend on the tv.

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #6677 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 242
So far I noticed 4K UHD BLU-RAY by Universal & Warner have HDR Meta Data displayed when checking playback INFO. I have tried discs from Disney, 20th Century Fox, Paramount and they seem to not display the HDR Meta Data the default output is listed as 1000 Nits. HDR with this player has been incredible on Sony XBR65X750D. My previous player with the Sony UDP-X800. I also noticed I am getting better audio especially the center with my Denon X4400 with the ub820 as well. Overal colors on Blu-Ray, 4K UHD look a lot better on my tv then with my previous player. I have the HDR setting set to the middle LCD brightness and HDR Optimizer on.
post #6678 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillihp23 View Post
You pose an interesting question.... I image they don’t accept HDR material much like a projector may only accept HDR material and not DV material. In which case it is my understanding if it doesn’t accept the material the function will not be usable on the player. There may be televisions that accept both though. Guess it would depend on the tv.
Although corporate stupidity never surprises me I would hope that you are wrong. So are you saying that your purchase a UHD that is hdr10 only it won't let you play it? No way they'd be that stupid.
post #6679 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
With a Dolby Vision capable display, you enable “Dolby Vision” in the player’s setup menu (which is a “one time” setting). When a disc is played that has a DV encode, DV gets priority and HDR Optimizer functionality is locked out.

When a standard UHD Blu-ray disc which uses only HDR-10 is played, you get HDR-10 along with full HDR Optimizer functionality.

It’s really a straightforward and seamless process...
MOberhardt, macmane and mrtickleuk like this.
post #6680 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Although corporate stupidity never surprises me I would hope that you are wrong. So are you saying that your purchase a UHD that is hdr10 only it won't let you play it? No way they'd be that stupid.
All Dolby Vision capable displays support HDR-10. Dolby Vision is an added variant of HDR as is HDR+.
post #6681 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With a Dolby Vision capable display, you enable “Dolby Vision” in the player’s setup menu (which is a “one time” setting). When a disc is played that has a DV encode, DV gets priority and HDR Optimizer functionality is locked out.

When a standard UHD Blu-ray disc which uses only HDR-10 is played, you get HDR-10 along with full HDR Optimizer functionality.

It’s really a straightforward and seamless process...
Correct. Multiple posts over the last couple of pages explain how HDR10 and DV function. Note that the display must support HDR10 and DV.

Last edited by bluesky636; 01-10-2020 at 05:32 AM.
post #6682 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All Dolby Vision capable displays support HDR-10. Dolby Vision is an added variant of HDR as is HDR+.
Correct. Multiple posts over the last couple of pages explain how HDR10 and DV function. Note that the display must support HDR10 and DV.

Last edited by bluesky636; 01-10-2020 at 05:33 AM.
post #6683 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 2951 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Does the TV Type setting in the Player Settings Menu do anything if the HDR Optimizer is not enabled?

If the answer is no, that would mean for DV playback, the UB9000/820/420 has basically identical output to any other DV player, correct?
No. The HDR Display Type setting is only used by the HDR Optimiser, and only when HDR output is selected.

If SDR BT2020 output is selected the Display Type setting is ignored.

None of these settings have anything to do with or affect Dolby Vision processing.
mrtickleuk likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti
post #6684 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
No. The HDR Display Type setting is only used by the HDR Optimiser, and only when HDR output is selected.

If SDR BT2020 output is selected the Display Type setting is ignored.

None of these settings have anything to do with or affect Dolby Vision processing.
"HDR" in general means "High Dynamic Range ". As has been stated several times already, what Panasonic refers to as "HDR" in its current line of players really means "HDR10" which only supports static metadata. "HDR10+" and "Dolby Vision" are HDR variants that support dynamic metadata. "HDR10+" and "Dolby Vision" have nothing to do with the Panasonic "HDR Optimizer" and disable the Optimizer and all it's related functions.
mrtickleuk and Phillihp23 like this.
post #6685 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Could my UB820 be faulty?

I just bought Planet Earth II 4K with HDR on Blu-ray.

Whenever I put the disc in and start playback, the 4k video is washed out and HDR is not enabled even though the playback info settings says that it IS enabled.

The only way I get to see the video in HDR is if I hold the "HDR setting" for a few seconds to show the HDR optimizer setting. When I enable HDR optimizer then the video get brighter, more contrasty, and with rich color with the HDR logo popping up in the top right corner of the screen.

I can't seem to have the UB820 auto detect HDR and enable it properly.

Is my unit faulty?
post #6686 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystickid View Post
Could my UB820 be faulty?

I just bought Planet Earth II 4K with HDR on Blu-ray.

Whenever I put the disc in and start playback, the 4k video is washed out and HDR is not enabled even though the playback info settings says that it IS enabled.

The only way I get to see the video in HDR is if I hold the "HDR setting" for a few seconds to show the HDR optimizer setting. When I enable HDR optimizer then the video get brighter, more contrasty, and with rich color with the HDR logo popping up in the top right corner of the screen.

I can't seem to have the UB820 auto detect HDR and enable it properly.

Is my unit faulty?
Have you reviewed the Troubleshooting Guide on page 36 of the owner's manual?
post #6687 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6261 Post(s)
Liked: 9115
Quote:
Do Dolby Vision TVs accept HDR10 material, I assume you mean, because HDR is the UMBRELLA term which means ALL forms of HDR. (Looks like I'll have to keep repeating it! )

Yes, of course. Just like Colour Televisions can display both Black and White (HDR10 in this example) and Colour signals (Dolby Vision in this example).
Phillihp23 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #6688 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
You who have audio problems: do you have your player connected to a TV for video and to a receiver for audio and is the receiver also connected to your TV through HDMI?
I have that setup with the receiver connected to the same TV through HDMI.
And I experienced some audio problems, no sound with the HDMI lamp blinking on the receiver, and setting my receiver's video output to Analog instead of HDMI while using the 820 seemed to have cured that.
My guess is that the 820 tried to figure out the HDMI capabilities of the TV through the receiver but "terminating" that chain seems to have stopped that behavior.
But again, it is just me guessing.

I have a single HDMI cable from the 820 to my Denon X3300W receiver, and a single HDMI cable from the HDMI out of the receiver to my Vizio 4K display. The lost audio has only happened a couple of times so far, and each time it was after pausing and resuming playback.
post #6689 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Do Dolby Vision TVs accept HDR10 material, I assume you mean, because HDR is the UMBRELLA term which means ALL forms of HDR. (Looks like I'll have to keep repeating it! )

Yes, of course. Just like Colour Televisions can display both Black and White (HDR10 in this example) and Colour signals (Dolby Vision in this example).

Why are you arguing with forum members over this? If you're upset about the naming, complain to Panasonic. Return the unit. The manual states that the HDR optimizer does not apply to Dolby Vision or HDR 10+ which are dynamic metadata formats.
post #6690 of 7994 Old 01-10-2020, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
Why are you arguing with forum members over this? If you're upset about the naming, complain to Panasonic. Return the unit. The manual states that the HDR optimizer does not apply to Dolby Vision or HDR 10+ which are dynamic metadata formats.
Why are you arguing with mrtickleuk? He understands how the various HDR formats work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page