Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 254 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5674Likes

post #7591 of 7659 Old 05-21-2020, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just picked up an 820 from bestbuy today. I can't get it to read any discs at all (4k blu-ray or regular blu-ray). I have tried 6 or so different disks (almost all brand new) and it gives me the "cannot read" error on all of them after a minute or so of trying to read each of them. I tried all the things I could find in this thread (unplugging power, inserting disk after player is already on, blowing the insides like old nintendo cartridges, etc.) with no luck.

Any suggestions? I would obviously like to get this working and not deal with the hassle of returning if I could help it. Latest firmware (1.64). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7659 Old 05-21-2020, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhart00 View Post
I just picked up an 820 from bestbuy today. I can't get it to read any discs at all (4k blu-ray or regular blu-ray). I have tried 6 or so different disks (almost all brand new) and it gives me the "cannot read" error on all of them after a minute or so of trying to read each of them. I tried all the things I could find in this thread (unplugging power, inserting disk after player is already on, blowing the insides like old nintendo cartridges, etc.) with no luck.

Any suggestions? I would obviously like to get this working and not deal with the hassle of returning if I could help it. Latest firmware (1.64). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If it's having problems with multiple discs and you've gone through the steps mentioned, it really sounds like a defective unit. One dumb question - have you made sure the discs are clean and clear of heavy fingerprints?
post #7593 of 7659 Old 05-21-2020, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhart00 View Post

Sounds like the player is defective, but I would do a full factory reset first. If the steps aren't in the manual, Google should find them.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7594 of 7659 Old 05-21-2020, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi guys... I’m thinking in maybe upgrading from the sony x700 to the ub420 to play mainly 4K UHD discs and take advantage of the HDR optimizer for tone mapping down to 500 nits for my BenQ W1720 4K/HDR projector. Not really interested in comverting HDR to SDR or things like that.

Just reading about the settings it turned out to be a little confused. My projector’s HDR mode is set to AUTO, but I’m reading that in using the optimizer at ON doesnt work with auto anymore? is that true? Again, I’m a bit confused about the space color settings on the player.

And last.. in using the optimizer down to 500 nits, will the image lose punchy brightness?

Thanks so much in advance.
post #7595 of 7659 Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 249
ub820: i would return the player and ask for another one.

ub420: your projector HDR set to auto means: it will accept an HDR signal; and then whatever HDR settings you have for the projector.

Ub420 will send a tonemapped HDR 4k signal to your projector; which it will then show. (with hdr optimizer on from the ub420)

I don't think you will lose punch brightness; you will get a better looking tonemapped image!

I use my ub820 to send SDRbt2020 (WCG w/o HDR) to my projector; and the 4K UHDs look amazing! its personal preference. all depends how strongly capable HDR abilities are on your display device.

HDR tonemapping is awesome though; totally worth it!

I recently re-watched the Matrix1&2 4K DolbyAtmos SDRbt2020; and it was wow both video and audio!
Robbie Racer likes this.
post #7596 of 7659 Old 05-22-2020, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 131
oppo 203 vs Panasonic 820

I wanted a second 4K player and opted for the 820. Received it yesterday and immediately went about setting it up. Two advantages of the 820 is that the setup is on auto-pilot and plays BR's at 1.5X with audio, a very nice feature to listen to commentary. Aside from that, the interface is very similar to the Pan BDT 500 and that is clunky when compared to the oppo 203 and all other oppo's going back to the 93. It plays BR's and 4K UHD discs just fine and there isn't any noticeable difference between the 820 and 203. The dropdown list for CD's consist of each numbered track with its duration, no mention of what the disc actually is or what the track is vs the 203 that can list all of that stuff and more for CD's and BR's. The clunky interface makes it difficult to pull up disc information such as bit rate, audio format, etc. You would think that Panasonic very well knew what the oppo is capable of in terms of displaying information, effortlessly. But at least in auto mode, the 820 works fine as a 4K and BR player. And that was all that I wanted.
post #7597 of 7659 Old 05-23-2020, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick question:

I own the sony x950g which I've read has a peak luminance of about 1250-1300 nits. Should I set the display type to high luminance (1000 nits) or super high luminance (1500 nits) for the Optimizer?

I somewhat feel that setting it to high luminance cuts a bit the hightlights too much, but not sure what would be the "proper" setting to use.
post #7598 of 7659 Old 05-23-2020, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 151
What can the hdr optimizer do for a projector with 75 nits ? Too low to help ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7599 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post
I wanted a second 4K player and opted for the 820. Received it yesterday and immediately went about setting it up. Two advantages of the 820 is that the setup is on auto-pilot and plays BR's at 1.5X with audio, a very nice feature to listen to commentary. Aside from that, the interface is very similar to the Pan BDT 500 and that is clunky when compared to the oppo 203 and all other oppo's going back to the 93. It plays BR's and 4K UHD discs just fine and there isn't any noticeable difference between the 820 and 203. The dropdown list for CD's consist of each numbered track with its duration, no mention of what the disc actually is or what the track is vs the 203 that can list all of that stuff and more for CD's and BR's. The clunky interface makes it difficult to pull up disc information such as bit rate, audio format, etc. You would think that Panasonic very well knew what the oppo is capable of in terms of displaying information, effortlessly. But at least in auto mode, the 820 works fine as a 4K and BR player. And that was all that I wanted.
I agree, I think the UI is horrid without any order or sense. I really don't think Panasonic cares about improving any of the display or menu information, this is not a new topic or feature. They just put together something that's in all the high end reviews and they are selling tons - that's enough for them I suppose. The menu system seems to come from the 90's. Actually, I like the menu layout of my old OppoDVD player from way-back-when better than the 820 - so there you go.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Yamaha RX-V1075, Epson 5040UB. Elunevision Reference 4K 125" screen.

Last edited by marcosphoto; 05-24-2020 at 04:32 AM.
post #7600 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For those UB820 Owners with JVC NX5/NX7/NX9 Projectors, what are the best Picture Quality Settings for Tone Mapping and HDR for these two devices working together on 4K UHD Bluray Playback?

Thanks in advance.

Murray Kerdman
post #7601 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 2724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post
For those UB820 Owners with JVC NX5/NX7/NX9 Projectors, what are the best Picture Quality Settings for Tone Mapping and HDR for these two devices working together on 4K UHD Bluray Playback?
Head on over to the JVC projector thread where they will tell you to turn of the UB820 HDR Optimizer and use the JVC Frame Adapt dynamic tone mapping instead.

JVC = Dynamic frame by frame Tone Mapping
UB820 HDR Optimizer = HDR Metadata value based tone mapping.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rs-thread.html

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti
post #7602 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Set HDR option to SDR BT2020. Configure the projector to Gamma 2.4 and BT2020 color profile.

Turn the HDR Optimizer ON.

Move the HDR Optimizer Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment slider to the left for more HDR dynamic range, or move it to the right for a brighter picture.

The HDR Optimizer in SDR BT2020 output mode is the perfect match for nit-limited projector environments.

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti

Last edited by claw; 05-24-2020 at 10:27 AM.
post #7603 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

What are you using now for HDR? I have about the same nits as you and the optimizer works great. Before I was using custom curves and the optimizer is a definite improvement.
post #7604 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb737 View Post
I just got done sending an email to Panasonic support explaining the problem. And that is Lionsgate DVD's "Midway" and "Knives Out". I requested a firmware update, and that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Now whether or not they do anything about it is another story. The UB820 is the BEST 4K Blu-Ray player I've ever owned. Had a Sony before. Much better than the Sony in my opinion. If Panasonic won't put out an update, every time I purchase a Lionsgate 4K DVD I'll simply watch it in HDR10 instead of DV. But I'm not giving up my UB820. just too good of a machine concerning sound and picture quality in my opinion.
I thought that I would revisit this one. Most of us experienced freezes in Midway and Knives out when Dolby Vision was used. Both titles were distributed by Lionsgate earlier this year. I have some other Lionsgate DV titles that were released in 2019 or earlier (2001 Space Odyssey Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Apocalypse Now, John Wick 3, Hunter Killer and A Simple Favor). Not one of them, as far as I can recall, had any freezing issues when the DV versions were playing. It seems to me that Lionsgate may have changed something in its disc manufacturing process in 2020 or the way it now makes 100GB discs. There haven't been any new Lionsgate DV releases after Midway and Knives Out so it remains an open theory at this point.
post #7605 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
I thought that I would revisit this one. Most of us experienced freezes in Midway and Knives out when Dolby Vision was used. Both titles were distributed by Lionsgate earlier this year. I have some other Lionsgate DV titles that were released in 2019 or earlier (2001 Space Odyssey Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Apocalypse Now, John Wick 3, Hunter Killer and A Simple Favor). Not one of them, as far as I can recall, had any freezing issues when the DV versions were playing. It seems to me that Lionsgate may have changed something in its disc manufacturing process in 2020 or the way it now makes 100GB discs. There haven't been any new Lionsgate DV releases after Midway and Knives Out so it remains an open theory at this point.
Upon further research on web forums this issue is wider spread than just "Midway" "Knives out". There seems to be a play back issue with newer tittles across the platform with random disks have issues playing with our players.

For me it's " Star Wars Rise of Skywalker" 2 copies experience the freezing, pixellation issues and the other is "Harly Quinn Birds of Prey" 3 copies with these issues.

In both films my issues are for certain section of the film. Skip a head to a point of the film an it will play flawlessly after that point. All my other movies play perfectly fine.
post #7606 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Upon further research on web forums this issue is wider spread than just "Midway" "Knives out". There seems to be a play back issue with newer tittles across the platform with random disks have issues playing with our players.

For me it's " Star Wars Rise of Skywalker" 2 copies experience the freezing, pixellation issues and the other is "Harly Quinn Birds of Prey" 3 copies with these issues.

In both films my issues are for certain section of the film. Skip a head to a point of the film an it will play flawlessly after that point. All my other movies play perfectly fine.
My copy of "Star Wars Rise of Skywalker" plays fine on my system. So did "Harley Quinn Birds of Prey". The disc I recently had an issue with "Sonic The Hedgehog" in that if you go into the settings for audio before starting the movie. The TV won't be in HDR mode but the player indicates HDR. So colors will be weird. I got HDR working by selecting play without going into settings first. Luckily the default audio is English Dolby Atmos. The movie is a Paramount title. TV is 85" Samsung Q7DR. UB820 is running 1.60 firmware
post #7607 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
My copy of "Star Wars Rise of Skywalker" plays fine on my system. So did "Harley Quinn Birds of Prey". The disc I recently had an issue with "Sonic The Hedgehog" in that if you go into the settings for audio before starting the movie. The TV won't be in HDR mode but the player indicates HDR. So colors will be weird. I got HDR working by selecting play without going into settings first. Luckily the default audio is English Dolby Atmos. The movie is a Paramount title. TV is 85" Samsung Q7DR. UB820 is running 1.60 firmware
Exactly my point. It's not just one or two particular titles. It's random across the platform, HDR10 or Dolby Vision with newer discs. The fact that in many cases the same disc plays on other players perfectly well suggest that there's a playback capability issue specific to our players. Simply right now our players aren't reliable. Any random disc will not play as it should.
post #7608 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have been having this issue for the last few months. In my case, Color Out of Space and IP Man 4, but the most recent was Birds of Prey. This last movie became unwatchable after a while. I then immediately put on Top Gun 4k, and it played flawlessly. Both are 66gb discs, so I don't know why some create problems, and some don't. I pretty thoroughly cleaned both.

The only thing that seems to (temporarily) fix this is by unplugging it for an extended period of time. 10-15 minutes doesn't do it. So I left mine unplugged overnight, tried Birds of Prey again the next day, and it played flawlessly. But a few days later, the problem might recur.

This suggests it's something that could be fixed with a firmware update, and I'm anxiously waiting for the new one (1.64 or 1.66, I've seen both referenced) that are present on some new players, and available in other countries. I'm hoping this might fix this.

post #7609 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Set HDR option to SDR BT2020. Configure the projector to Gamma 2.4 and BT2020 color profile.

Turn the HDR Optimizer ON.

Move the HDR Optimizer Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment slider to the left for more HDR dynamic range, or move it to the right for a brighter picture.

The HDR Optimizer in SDR BT2020 output mode is the perfect match for nit-limited projector environments.

How does this technique compare to the DV spoof using an HDFury product?

IE does the spoof dynamic tone mapping look better than Panasonic SDR2020 static tone mapping on JVC?

Also , do you you think with 75 nits the picture will be better with UB9000 compared to UB820?

post #7610 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks07 View Post
What are you using now for HDR? I have about the same nits as you and the optimizer works great. Before I was using custom curves and the optimizer is a definite improvement.

I am building a theater and RS4500 hasn’t arrived. Sources are UHD BluRay and streaming like ATV4k. I will not have a video processor yet , so deciding if the Panasonic UB820 or 9000 static tone map vs the Sony X800h DV spoof is better (or both as was suggested)

post #7611 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
My Oppo-203 plays pretty much anything flawlessly and I can't remember when its last firmware update came out or if there will ever be another one. In the past, incompatibility problems with the major makers disc players were usually resolved with fairly regular updates but we've had v1.60 since last July. If the 820s are having this many problems, Panasonic needs to get off the dime and put out a firmware update assuming that it would even address any of these issues. Given the conversations that some had with Support last year I don't think that we should get our hopes up. It's a shame because, overall, the UB820 is a superb disc player.
post #7612 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 4073
Question under HDR setting, does anyone use natural as opposed to standard...does it mess with the players tone mapping?
post #7613 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I have been having this issue for the last few months. In my case, Color Out of Space and IP Man 4, but the most recent was Birds of Prey. This last movie became unwatchable after a while. I then immediately put on Top Gun 4k, and it played flawlessly. Both are 66gb discs, so I don't know why some create problems, and some don't. I pretty thoroughly cleaned both.

The only thing that seems to (temporarily) fix this is by unplugging it for an extended period of time. 10-15 minutes doesn't do it. So I left mine unplugged overnight, tried Birds of Prey again the next day, and it played flawlessly. But a few days later, the problem might recur.

This suggests it's something that could be fixed with a firmware update, and I'm anxiously waiting for the new one (1.64 or 1.66, I've seen both referenced) that are present on some new players, and available in other countries. I'm hoping this might fix this.
Have you reported this to Panasonic? All of us experiencing this need to report it to Panasonic about playback issues. This is probably why that new firmware hasn't been released as of yet.

From my research just about all the complaints come from newer movies that came out in theater in 2019 where we have this the freezing, pixilation issues ...
post #7614 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you reported this to Panasonic? All of us experiencing this need to report it to Panasonic about playback issues. This is probably why that new firmware hasn't been released as of yet.

From my research just about all the complaints come from newer movies that came out in theater in 2019 where we have this the freezing, pixilation issues ...
I haven't. I've found it somewhat futile to try and contact a large corporate entity, and have the information get to the people who might actually be able to utilize it.

Perhaps I'll contact Robert Zohn, who seems to have some direct contact with Panasonic on some level.

post #7615 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
https://www.panasonic.com/global/sup...ka/policy.html
DLCPhoto likes this.

Receiver: Pioneer Atmos VSX-LX102, 5.1.2 Setup
Source: Panasonic DB-UB820 4K Player
Display: Sony XBR-85X900F LCD 4K
Speakers: Klipsch Lt & Rt Front RP-280FA Atmos, Center RP-45OCA, Lt & Rt Surrounds RP-250S, Subwoofer R-112SW
post #7616 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb737 View Post
Thanks - and done!
mrtickleuk and kwb737 like this.

post #7617 of 7659 Old 05-24-2020, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How does this technique compare to the DV spoof using an HDFury product?

IE does the spoof dynamic tone mapping look better than Panasonic SDR2020 static tone mapping on JVC?

Also , do you you think with 75 nits the picture will be better with UB9000 compared to UB820?
First, I don't agree that the LLDV spoof is DTM. It is Dolby Vision and I don't consider DV to be DTM. It is tone mapping using the Dolby Vision scene by scene metadata. And the UB820 can only output LLDV for Dolby Vision content, not HDR10.

There would be no difference between the 820 and 9000 with respect to SDR 2020. The additional 350 nit HDR display type in the 9000 is not used for SDR BT2020, only for HDR output.

If you have issues getting sufficient brightness, SDR BT2020 mode combined with the Optimizer can get you there better than LLDV. With Dolby Vision or LLDV output you can't make any setting adjustments as they are locked out for DV. Although you can make some adjustments to the Dolby Vision data block in the HDfury device with respect to reporting the projector's nit capability to the UB820 to use in creating the LLDV output. LLDV also requires that you have a good HDR gamma curve in your JVC, while SDR 2020 just needs the 2.4 Gamma.
mrtickleuk likes this.

CJ

Last edited by claw; 05-25-2020 at 12:35 AM.
post #7618 of 7659 Old 05-25-2020, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There would be no difference between the 820 and 9000 with respect to SDR 2020. The additional 350 nit HDR display type in the 9000 is not used for SDR BT2020, only for HDR output.
In regards to the SDR2020 mode of the Panasonic UB9000 versus 820 (with JVC projector). It was my understanding the HDR Optimizer on the 9000 was better/more suited for projectors since it gave you an option for even lower nit displays (as projectors are typically 75-100 nits)? So tone mapping is better. This is not the case?

post #7619 of 7659 Old 05-25-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In regards to the SDR2020 mode of the Panasonic UB9000 versus 820 (with JVC projector). It was my understanding the HDR Optimizer on the 9000 was better/more suited for projectors since it gave you an option for even lower nit displays (as projectors are typically 75-100 nits)? So tone mapping is better. This is not the case?
The HDR Display Type setting is only used by the HDR Optimizer when the output is HDR10.

If the output is SDR 2020 the setting is not utilized for tone mapping. The tone mapping curve used is based on the HDR10 metadata only.

CJ
post #7620 of 7659 Old 05-25-2020, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The HDR Display Type setting is only used by the HDR Optimizer when the output is HDR10.

If the output is SDR 2020 the setting is not utilized for tone mapping. The tone mapping curve used is based on the HDR10 metadata only.

I was not aware of that. So is the recommendation with a 4K JVC projector without DTM (ie rs4500) to use Panasonic’s SDR2020 output even with native HDR content? So there is no use for the HDR Optimizer with this setup ?

I’m confused, sorry !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page