Originally Posted by normandia
.... That is what output settings on 820 with this projector. Could experiment, of course, but there should be preferences by now.
Setting up your display or projector
- set up your display as if viewing non hdr content.
- choose bt2020 color on your display. If bt2020 is not available run the 820 in SDR BT709 mode. The 820 will map the bt2020 color gamut to the bt709 color space. Not preferred, but still provide very good reproduction.
- gamma 2.4... A normal gamma setting is usually a 2.2 gamma. This will still work, but the lower end will be a little darker with 2.4. Switching between 2.4 up thru 2.0 is a good way to manage shadow detail.
- leave your display contrast, brightness, tint, color to your calibrated settings for normal HD content.
- i use the LCD/PROJECTOR display option
- SDR BT 2020 ... if you have bt2020 color option on your display
- SDR BT 709 ... if you do not have bt 2020 color option on your display (this have the 820 remap the bt2020 gamut to bt709 and provides very good color reproduction, although not as good as SDR BT2020 with a bt2020 filter)
- DO NOT use the 820 HDR BT 2020 mode with your displays HDR mode, as i have found mixing HDR tone mapping of the display with the 820 HDR tone mapping can produce unintended artifacts. There maybe a way to make this work as well as SDR BT2020, but could not find such settings on my jvc x990 that were better than SDR BT2020.
- Optimizer = ON
- Luminance slider = i use +4 to +6 (i have tried up to +9 ... +11 & +12 causes some artifacts to appear in skin tones, such as the Guardians in the Sovereign throne room.)
- Brightness = 0 (no reason to change since your display has been calibrated to proper black floor)
- White level = 0 (i have tried lowering to the point of white crush ... you can try -5 or -6, but I'm not sure how this might limit the auto tone mapping on some content, so i leave it at 0 )
- Black level = 0 (you can adjust to reveal more or less shadow detail, changing gamma on display (2.4, 2.3, 2.2, 2.1, 2.0) also works well)
Set other 820 picture controls to taste, but i leave them at default settings.
You can check the x990 calibration link in my sig which includes the the 820 setups.