Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5296Likes

post #1891 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Although I own a Panasonic UB900 (and HDFury Integral) for playing native UHD discs, I'm weighing the purchase of the UB820. I'm still playing 1080p Blu-Ray discs on my Oppo 103D (using appropriate Darby processing). I send 1080p video to my JVC RS500 for conversion to faux (e-shift) 4K. Here's my question: Am I likely to see an appreciable improvement of the overall appearance of this material (either sharpness or color accuracy) if I purchase the UB820? Thanks!

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240, Panasonic UB820, Panasonic UB420, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Did you select the Ultra HD version? Prime apps usually list the Ultra HD version separately and wont play the best quality version by default like Netflix apps do so make sure what you select and are playing is the Ultra HD version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply I remembered I had to set the 820 to Dolby vision to get atmos on Netflix and prime

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 . pioneer lx500 uhd blu ray players
atv4k 2nd gen cube, roku ultra 2019
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-Q90R ZA soundbar
post #1893 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Did you try modifying the EDID the Lumagen reports to the source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I set the HDR setting in the EDID to yes, but no luck. Guess I'll wait until the JVC projectors are released (have the NX7/RS2000 on pre-order) to do HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dear Friends

I was here 10 years ago (without 4 days), so hello to everybody! I would like to buy DP-UB820 or DP-UB420, but as always I need to ask you and use your experience with those two Panasonic UHD Players.

Correct me, if I am wrong, but those two players are very similar? DP-UB420 hasn't got Dolby Vision, Display and 7.1 Analog Outputs? Everything is the same, of course dimensions of the player is different?

I know, that those players are great for UHD physical disc, but what about using external PenDrive or HDD/SSD with files like .mkv, .m2ts or BDMV folder structure with 2160p HDR BT.2020 10bit Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, will it play such files like for example Dune HD Pro 4K?

I would be glad for your replies.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely

VAMET
post #1895 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5495 Post(s)
Liked: 5926
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
Dear Friends

I was here 10 years ago (without 4 days), so hello to everybody! I would like to buy DP-UB820 or DP-UB420, but as always I need to ask you and use your experience with those two Panasonic UHD Players.

Correct me, if I am wrong, but those two players are very similar? DP-UB420 hasn't got Dolby Vision, Display and 7.1 Analog Outputs? Everything is the same, of course dimensions of the player is different?
I know, that those players are great for UHD physical disc, but what about using external PenDrive or HDD/SSD with files like .mkv, .m2ts or BDMV folder structure with 2160p HDR BT.2020 10bit Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, will it play such files like for example Dune HD Pro 4K?

I would be glad for your replies.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely
Hi, negative on the bold area. The Panasonic players are great UHD BD physical disc players especially with the auto-tone mapping but they are terrible network media players. none of what you are asking is possible with these players. It is possible with the Oppo 203/205 they do a very good job playing back mkv, m2ts and BDMV folders with UHD HDR + ATMOS/DTS:X
post #1896 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 5495 Post(s)
Liked: 5926
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Although I own a Panasonic UB900 (and HDFury Integral) for playing native UHD discs, I'm weighing the purchase of the UB820. I'm still playing 1080p Blu-Ray discs on my Oppo 103D (using appropriate Darby processing). I send 1080p video to my JVC RS500 for conversion to faux (e-shift) 4K. Here's my question: Am I likely to see an appreciable improvement of the overall appearance of this material (either sharpness or color accuracy) if I purchase the UB820? Thanks!
Hi are you running custom curves for HDR on the JVC? The 820 auto-tone mapping is excellent and basically set it and forget it. you can get rid of the integral if you update from the 900 to the 820. The Panasonic will scale regular BD to UHD res which it does a very good job with. You can also apply some of the Panasonic sharpening settings to get close to the darbee effect.

send me a PM if you have any JVC specific questions
Bill DePalma and Bahn Yuki like this.
post #1897 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi are you running custom curves for HDR on the JVC? The 820 auto-tone mapping is excellent and basically set it and forget it. you can get rid of the integral if you update from the 900 to the 820. The Panasonic will scale regular BD to UHD res which it does a very good job with. You can also apply some of the Panasonic sharpening settings to get close to the darbee effect.

send me a PM if you have any JVC specific questions
Zombie10k, thanks, as always for responding to my questions. I'll try to send you a PM later today.
post #1898 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I have collected and summarized the following information from this very thread:

Dynamic contrast, while poorly named, is an active HDR tone mapping feature that allows the TV to provide dynamic metadata like Dolby Vision, on a scene by scene basis. This means that the picture is adjusted scene by scene as opposed to being set based on static information for the entire program. I understand that this has been relabeled on the 2018 sets to make it clear, but the feature works identically. This feature is active when the setting is “Low”.

The LG B7 series “Dynamic Contrast” tone mapping and the Panasonic UB-820 “HDR Optimizer” tone mapping are complementary. Set Dynamic Contrast to LOW in the LG panel to enable its active HDR and use the HDR Optimizer in the Panasonic player with HDR output, and the display type set to “OLED”. The UB-820 will convert content mastered greater than 1,000 nits to the 1,000-nit range better than the 2017 LG, and then the LG will adjust frame by frame within that 1,000-nit range to best use its own dynamic range for video. Below is an explanation of how the HDR Optimizer works.

HDR Optimizer 101
The Panasonic UB-820’s HDR Optimizer feature performs tone mapping based on the actual Maximum Content Light Level (MaxCLL) for the entire film and the maximum nit capability of the type of display selected. The MaxCLL is contained in metadata on the disc for the given film, and the display maximum nit capability is selected based upon the display setting. For example, when HDR optimizer is set to “HDR”, and the display is set to “OLED”, the Maximum Display Mastered Level (MaxDML) reported to the display is 1000 nits, and the UB-820 performs the tone mapping based on the MaxCLL disc metadata for a 1000 nit display.

Mark
I wanted to update the above post with some detailed information I found on ChromaPure's web site regarding the Dynamic Contrast feature settings, as well as some minor edits to (hopefull) explain this better. If ChromaPure's information on the settings are somehow not correct, please let me know.

Dynamic contrast, while poorly named, is an active HDR tone mapping feature that allows the TV to provide dynamic metadata for HDR10 content. Dynamic Contrast analyses HDR10 content on a frame by frame basis in real time, to determine metadata for the scene and adjust the HDR tone mapping curve to match the content.

By design, HDR10 only uses the Maximum Content Light Level (MaxCLL) level for the entire program, based on the contents’ metadata information. The Dynamic Contrast feature complements and improves the display of HDR10 source material with more granular content analysis, similar to Dolby Vision. This feature is active when the setting is “Low”.

Control of this ‘Active HDR’ feature is found in the ‘Dynamic Contrast’ setting in the Expert Picture Settings menu, while viewing HDR content. The Dynamic Contrast settings are defined as follows:

• Off - Active HDR Disabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled
Low - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Disabled (default setting) This is the setting recommended for accurate content reproduction.
• Medium - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement Low
• High - Active HDR Enabled / Contrast Enhancement High

LG renamed this feature to “Dynamic Tone Mapping” for the 2018 OLED models.

The LG B7 series “Dynamic Contrast” tone mapping and the Panasonic UB-820 “HDR Optimizer” tone mapping are complementary. Set Dynamic Contrast to LOW in the LG panel to enable its active HDR and use the HDR Optimizer in the Panasonic player with HDR output, and the display type set to “OLED”. The UB-820 will convert content mastered greater than 1,000 nits to the 1,000-nit range better than the 2017 LG, and then the LG will adjust frame by frame within that 1,000-nit range to best use its own dynamic range for video. Below is an explanation of how the HDR Optimizer works.

HDR Optimizer 101
The Panasonic UB-820’s HDR Optimizer feature performs tone mapping based on the actual Maximum Content Light Level (MaxCLL) for the entire film and the maximum nit capability of the type of display selected. The MaxCLL is contained in metadata on the disc for the given film, and the display maximum nit capability is selected based upon the display setting. For example, when HDR optimizer is set to “HDR”, and the display is set to “OLED”, the Maximum Display Mastered Level (MaxDML) reported to the display is 1000 nits, and the UB-820 performs the tone mapping based on the MaxCLL disc metadata for a 1000 nit display.

Mark

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #1899 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 129
For the 'playback info' screen, the HDMI Audio output information is not listed. Any suggestions on how to activate this?
post #1900 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by amluckau View Post
I'd settled on the DP-UB820 to go with my new Marantz SR8012 many weeks ago but danged if I can find it anywhere. Where did you owners find them?
I've been hoping to see this available on Amazon as I've been accumulating gift certificates for just such an occasion. There are some Panasonic players on Amazon but not the UB820...If it's not there now does that mean its unlikely to be available on Amazon in the future?

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #1901 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
My 820's Netflix app wasn't loading any program material tonight. It would get to 24% and sit there until a message came up with an error code in the lower right corner. I called Netflix support and got a solution:
1 Unplug the player for one minute
2 While you're waiting point the remote at the player and hold the power button down for 5 seconds
3 Plug the player back in and wait 30 seconds before trying Netflix
Worked like a charm with Netflix programs loading almost instantly
Happens to me now and again. I found that if I go to the internal Netflix app in my TV, use that to call up a program to watch for just a few seconds, then switch back to the 820, everything seems to work fine afterwards from the 820's Netflix app. YMMV, of course.
post #1902 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 03:48 PM
ISF Level III Certified

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Hey guys,
I have a Sony X940E that is capable of about 1250 nits max on 10% widow I believe. Should I set the UB820 to Super High or just OLED/Medium luminance for this display? I know Super high maps to 1500 nits, but my display can't quite get there leading me to think OLED mode or Medium/High which maps to 1000 would be better.
Also is there any real difference between Medium/High setting vs. OLED mode? I thought they both map to 1000 which seems redundant.

ISF Level III Certified Display Calibrator - Los Angeles
Advanced Visual Systems & Calibration
[email protected]
post #1903 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treepork View Post
Anyone using the 820 with Sony A1e Oled?
4k blu ray movies look great. but when I use netflix from the 820 the display on the sony says 1080p not 4k or HDR or DV. I heard that the apps look better coming from the 820 ,I am not seeing this.
Any advice?
Thanks Gregg
Do you have the Premium(Ultra HD) Netflix plan?

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #1904 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
i suppose i can live with the sdr/rec709 color space for now.

It is only an issue for the specific case with Netfix HDR content when the UB820 is set to SDR/BT2020. Otherwise the output always matches the content.

that's a bit of a bummer. Do you notice any video jitter or audio synchronization issues with 23.976 material?

- I haven't so far.

do you also prefer the ub820 for 4k hdr netflix/amazon content over the atv4k? I'm glad to hear that atmos is supported.

- As I mentioned, I prefer the UB820 for Amazon HDR content as it does fantastic HDR to SDR BT2020 tone mapping.
- But for Netflix HDR content I will use the ATV4K because it supports 24Hz playback.

what are these hdmi sync delays? Is it a synchronization between the audio and video if you play sdr material?

- If you own a JVC RS520 you must be aware of the long HDMI sync times when switching between source content that have different resolution.

- I am going to test setting the UB820 option to convert Netflix/Amazon SDR content to HDR. Then check if even the Netflix/Amazon menus are converted to HDR as well. If everything output is sent as HDR to my RS500 then perhaps the need for resync will be reduced. I currently don't watch any SDR content from Amazon/Netflix so the conversion of SDR to HDR won't bother me.

Thanks. yeah, my projector takes sometimes 15 seconds to adjust for frame rate changes and I suppose resolutions as well.
I forgot to ask, does it have Youtube in 4K/HDR/Atmos as well?
post #1905 of 6755 Old 10-24-2018, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylsiem View Post
Thanks. yeah, my projector takes sometimes 15 seconds to adjust for frame rate changes and I suppose resolutions as well.I forgot to ask, does it have Youtube in 4K/HDR/Atmos as well?
Shout out to your IP MAN avatar.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Vertex2 - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #1906 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
I've been hoping to see this available on Amazon as I've been accumulating gift certificates for just such an occasion. There are some Panasonic players on Amazon but not the UB820...If it's not there now does that mean its unlikely to be available on Amazon in the future?

Use your amazon gift cards to buy visa gift cards which amazon sells. You can then use the visa gift card at Best Buy. Also not sure what everyone is talking about with it not being available as it’s showing available for delivery and for pickup at my local store.

giomania likes this.

Last edited by OrcusVaruna; 10-25-2018 at 03:54 AM.
post #1907 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
Use your amazon gift cards to buy visa gift cards which amazon sells. You can then use the visa gift card at Best Buy. Also not sure what everyone is talking about with it not being available as it’s showing available for delivery and for pickup at my local store. (snip)
It's a little unusual for something like this to be available from BestBuy/Magnolia but not the commonly used online sources (Amazon, Crutchfield, etc.). BH Photovideo claims that they'll have it on 10 December.

My local BestBuy has a small Magnolia section, and they didn't have it. Rather than ordering it online, I wasted some gas and drove 25 miles to another BB that had it in stock. Instant gratification. (After dithering for a couple of weeks as to whether to get it.)
post #1908 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Happened to watch a dvd using the upscaling of the player to my 940E. This does an excellent job. I am really impressed with the upscaling. Netflix looks and sounds better than streaming through my Firestick. I am really enjoying this player.
I did find that not all "certified" cables are actually capable. I had some intermittent flashing with certified 6' cables. Swapped them out with others, no flashes. I believe some lock in tighter than others. This needs to be the case because some televisions have the hdmi ports hanging down, thus the cable weight is always pulling down and out.
post #1909 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It’s so disappointing.
I can’t believe I bough a 500$ player..one of Panasonic best player and it can’t play Atmos via network/usb.
It something Panasonic should have said it!! On the player information befor!! People are buying this player!
Can’t explain how disappointed I am.
post #1910 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubaja View Post
It’s so disappointing.
I can’t believe I bough a 500$ player..one of Panasonic best player and it can’t play Atmos via network/usb.
It something Panasonic should have said it!! On the player information befor!! People are buying this player!
Can’t explain how disappointed I am.

That is exactly the reason I tend to go to the appropriate AVSForum for any product I'm buying to ensure that it really will do what I am expecting. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about how great this player is as a HD & UHD Blu-Ray player... OK as a streaming device... Terrible as a file player. In general, file sharing tends to be a weakness on the vast majority of the Blu-ray players, with the exception of the Oppo players (which have now been discontinued).

I don't know where you purchased your player but do know that Best Buy will pretty much take anything back for pretty much any reason... That's why they have so many open box specials.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #1911 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treepork View Post
Anyone using the 820 with Sony A1e Oled?
4k blu ray movies look great. but when I use netflix from the 820 the display on the sony says 1080p not 4k or HDR or DV. I heard that the apps look better coming from the 820 ,I am not seeing this.
Any advice?
Thanks Gregg

I don't have the Sony A1E OLED but I'm having the same issue with Netflix and, yes, I have the premium Netflix package and am getting Netflix UHD from ATV 4K, Roku 4K, Sony X800 4K Blu-ray, and even my 4K Cable box from Xfinity (although there isn't much UHD content, they do have the Netflix app and I do have UHD resolution on it). I get 4K content from the Amazon Prime app on the 820 but not Netflix. The strange thing is that even the Netflix menu system is in 1080p, which isn't the case on any of my other streaming devices. Also, instead of the individual items showing up as UHD or 4K in the description, they show up as "HDR" and "5.1". The resolution changes from the 4K60p menu for everything else to 1080P when I click on the Netflix option. From that point it stays in 1080p mode until I get out of Netflix and then it goes immediately back to the 4K60p mode.

I have followed the suggested setup settings on the 820 and am using the 4K SDR-BT2020 option so I'm not sure if it was a Netflix update which broke something, the last 820 update broke something, or something else is wrong.

Would like to know if others are having this issue with Netflix.

Regards, Steve
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #1912 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
Terrible as a file player. In general, file sharing tends to be a weakness on the vast majority of the Blu-ray players, with the exception of the Oppo players (which have now been discontinued).
I have to disagree. The 820 is not "terrible" as a file player. It just has some limitations. MKVs on my external hard drive look great coming from my 820 and, even with it not playing lossless audio, I'm OK with it. All modern AVRs have Dolby Surround and DTS Neural X upmixers that make DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks sound pretty immersive. Some of my MKVs have both lossless and lossey audio tracks so I can use my Oppo or the Panny to play them. Right now, I lean towards the 820 because of its excellent up-scaling ability and its HDR Optimizer on HDR10 MKVs.
post #1913 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have the Sony A1E OLED but I'm having the same issue with Netflix and, yes, I have the premium Netflix package and am getting Netflix UHD from ATV 4K, Roku 4K, Sony X800 4K Blu-ray, and even my 4K Cable box from Xfinity (although there isn't much UHD content, they do have the Netflix app and I do have UHD resolution on it). I get 4K content from the Amazon Prime app on the 820 but not Netflix. The strange thing is that even the Netflix menu system is in 1080p, which isn't the case on any of my other streaming devices. Also, instead of the individual items showing up as UHD or 4K in the description, they show up as "HDR" and "5.1". The resolution changes from the 4K60p menu for everything else to 1080P when I click on the Netflix option. From that point it stays in 1080p mode until I get out of Netflix and then it goes immediately back to the 4K60p mode.

I have followed the suggested setup settings on the 820 and am using the 4K SDR-BT2020 option so I'm not sure if it was a Netflix update which broke something, the last 820 update broke something, or something else is wrong.

Would like to know if others are having this issue with Netflix.
Netflix on mine comes up in forced Dolby Vision if its turned on and everything is output in BT2020. It looks good. With Dolby Vision off and SDR/HDR Conv. on, Netflix comes up in forced HDR across the board but it doesn't look as good as the forced DV does. If DV and SDR/HDR Conv. are off Netflix comes up in its normal SDR that appears to be Rec709 and all SDR programs come up that way. (and look good up-scaled to 4K) DV/HDR programs come up in HDR10\BT2020. I don't get sudden resolution changes in any mode. This last combination is probably the most accurate for how Netflix works but, as I said, the forced DV conversion looks very good so I'll keep it for now. You may want to try the steps that Netflix gave me (see previous post about this) and see if it resolves the problems that you're having. I suspect that the Netflix app is erratic and needs a kick in the pants every now and then to deal with various problems.

Last edited by Cal1981; 10-25-2018 at 09:48 PM.
post #1914 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcusVaruna View Post
Use your amazon gift cards to buy visa gift cards which amazon sells. You can then use the visa gift card at Best Buy. Also not sure what everyone is talking about with it not being available as it’s showing available for delivery and for pickup at my local store.

Well my post was deleted by a mod, but the point still stands, online stores don't have it, and my best buy order is still delayed with no ETA. I can see how some Magnolia's that haven't sold previous stock would of course have a few left, but re-stocking doesn't appear to have happened in a while.
post #1915 of 6755 Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Netflix on mine comes up in forced Dolby Vision if its turned on and everything is output in BT2020. It looks good. With Dolby Vision off and SDR/HDR Conv. on, Netflix comes up in forced HDR across the board but it doesn't look as good as the forced DV does. If DV and SDR/HDR Conv. are off Netflix comes up in its normal SDR that appears to be Rec709 and all SDR programs come up that way. (and look good up-scaled to 4K) DV/HDR programs come up in HDR10\BT2020. I don't get sudden resolution changes in any mode. This last combination is probably the most accurate for how Netflix works but, as I said, the forced DV conversion looks very good so I'll keep it for now. You may want to try the steps that Netflix gave me (see previous post about this) and see if it resolves the problems that you're having. I suspect that the Netflix app is erratic and needs a kick in the pants every now and then to deal with various problems.

I tried the procedure you outlined in your earlier post but it had no impact on my Netflix... It still only plays in 1080P. I also tried the "Restart Netflix" under "Help" in the Netflix app and that also had no impact. I get Netflix UHD in all of my other 4K devices but not on the 820 for some reason.

Regards, Steve
post #1916 of 6755 Old 10-26-2018, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried the procedure you outlined in your earlier post but it had no impact on my Netflix... It still only plays in 1080P. I also tried the "Restart Netflix" under "Help" in the Netflix app and that also had no impact. I get Netflix UHD in all of my other 4K devices but not on the 820 for some reason.
Hmm.. it's very strange. You may want to call Netflix support at the number listed in the app. Maybe they can suggest something.
post #1917 of 6755 Old 10-26-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-X View Post
Well my post was deleted by a mod, but the point still stands, online stores don't have it, and my best buy order is still delayed with no ETA. I can see how some Magnolia's that haven't sold previous stock would of course have a few left, but re-stocking doesn't appear to have happened in a while.

My point was it’s showing I can get 2 day delivery if I ordered one. Maybe call Best Buy and ask what’s up with the delay. Should be no reason I can get delivery and you can’t. Also Best Buy drop ships from stores now so if my store has it they can send it to you.

post #1918 of 6755 Old 10-26-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
It's a little unusual for something like this to be available from BestBuy/Magnolia but not the commonly used online sources (Amazon, Crutchfield, etc.). BH Photovideo claims that they'll have it on 10 December.

My local BestBuy has a small Magnolia section, and they didn't have it. Rather than ordering it online, I wasted some gas and drove 25 miles to another BB that had it in stock. Instant gratification. (After dithering for a couple of weeks as to whether to get it.)

Not necessarily Best Buy often has exclusive product periods and has a long history in particular of this with Panasonic. When I worked in an MDC I remember we exclusively had the ZT series plasma for almost 6 months before other retailers began carrying it.

post #1919 of 6755 Old 10-26-2018, 11:50 AM
ISF Level III Certified

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Hey guys,
I have a Sony X940E that is capable of about 1250 nits max on 10% widow I believe. Should I set the UB820 to Super High or just OLED/Medium luminance for this display? I know Super high maps to 1500 nits, but my display can't quite get there leading me to think OLED mode or Medium/High which maps to 1000 would be better.
Also is there any real difference between Medium/High setting vs. OLED mode? I thought they both map to 1000 which seems redundant.

Anyone have a comment on this?

ISF Level III Certified Display Calibrator - Los Angeles
Advanced Visual Systems & Calibration
[email protected]
post #1920 of 6755 Old 10-26-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan201 View Post
Hey guys,
I would try it both ways with an HDR10 movie that has a lot of bright highlights. The default for OLEDs is 1000 nits but neither the LG or the Sony OLEDs actually reach that level. My C7 is rated at any where from 700 -740 nits so it the 820 gives it some headroom with the optimizer. With your X940E start with 1500 nits and if bright highlights are still blown out go down to 1000. There are also all of those lovely adjustments that let to customize the image to your liking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page