Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4828Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2041 of 5173 Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo2 View Post
I am updating the projector in my theater to the new Sony VW295ES and just sold my older OPP0 BDP93 Blu-ray player. I was set to purchase the Panasonic U820. However, I am starting to think that maybe I should wait and just buy a player like the Sony X700 and use it until some of the issues discussed in this thread, regarding playability of some discs, etc., are worked out. Another possibility would be to purchase a used OPPO 203 or 205.

I would appreciate some advice.

I don't have the Oppo but there have been a number of forum members who have sold their Oppo 203 after moving to the 820 and they appear to be happy campers. There are always going to be issues reported on forums like this for all players. Some of them are valid and some of them are just user errors in setup and operation. If you wait for issue resolution, you will forever be on the sideline waiting for the next player to be announced (which will have a new set of issues).
tigerhonaker likes this.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2042 of 5173 Old 11-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Member
 
dbturbo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo2 View Post
I am updating the projector in my theater to the new Sony VW295ES and just sold my older OPP0 BDP93 Blu-ray player. I was set to purchase the Panasonic U820. However, I am starting to think that maybe I should wait and just buy a player like the Sony X700 and use it until some of the issues discussed in this thread, regarding playability of some discs, etc., are worked out. Another possibility would be to purchase a used OPPO 203 or 205.

I would appreciate some advice.
UB820 works great with the 295ES, been using this combo for two weeks with no issues. The HDR tone mapping works well, and although it makes the picture slightly less bright, it does enhance details and highlights that would otherwise be lost.

Netflix 4k looks fantastic thru the UB820, with more apparent detail than the Sony X800. With regards to standard blue rays, I have found that letting the UB820 upscale to 4k on older movies introduces more grain than letting the projector upscale, so change the UB820 from Auto to 1080p and blue rays look fantastic and almost indistinguishable from 4k (less HDR of course). The only real downside to this player in my experience is the remote, but it’s not a deal breaker.

Love the weight and build of the X800, but it’s locked up on me numerous times and requires a direct Ethernet connection to update which is a PIA in my setup.

Last edited by dbturbo2; 11-05-2018 at 09:55 PM.
dbturbo2 is offline  
post #2043 of 5173 Old 11-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
No clue what someone is talking about with regards to a logo, there isn’t one. It will display the program in whatever aspect ratio it is. It looks great on my A8F.
Ok great,thank you. I’ll try one when they’re available.
Dr Steve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2044 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 05:11 AM
Member
 
Stereo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I don't have the Oppo but there have been a number of forum members who have sold their Oppo 203 after moving to the 820 and they appear to be happy campers. There are always going to be issues reported on forums like this for all players. Some of them are valid and some of them are just user errors in setup and operation. If you wait for issue resolution, you will forever be on the sideline waiting for the next player to be announced (which will have a new set of issues).
Thanks for your reply and thoughts! I am going to order the 820.
Stereo2 is offline  
post #2045 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 05:18 AM
Member
 
Stereo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbturbo2 View Post
UB820 works great with the 295ES, been using this combo for two weeks with no issues. The HDR tone mapping works well, and although it makes the picture slightly less bright, it does enhance details and highlights that would otherwise be lost.

Netflix 4k looks fantastic thru the UB820, with more apparent detail than the Sony X800. With regards to standard blue rays, I have found that letting the UB820 upscale to 4k on older movies introduces more grain than letting the projector upscale, so change the UB820 from Auto to 1080p and blue rays look fantastic and almost indistinguishable from 4k (less HDR of course). The only real downside to this player in my experience is the remote, but it’s not a deal breaker.

Love the weight and build of the X800, but it’s locked up on me numerous times and requires a direct Ethernet connection to update which is a PIA in my setup.
Thanks for the reply and especially the suggestion regarding turning off the 4K upscaling in the UB820 on older movies. Much appreciated!
Stereo2 is offline  
post #2046 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mattg3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Definitely sounds like this is not a set it, forget it kind of player, and to get the best out of it means setting changes for various presentations.

Matt
mattg3 is offline  
post #2047 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Just tried Netflix but can't seem to find on the UB820 where I can confirm what the unit is receiving from Netflix. My AVR states 1080P but the Netflix show 'Haunting of Hill House' states its in HDR. I have the UB820 set to auto 4K and SDR/2020. My PJ is 4k but not hdr.
For BR discs the UB820 has not issue sending a 4K signal.
Any suggestions appreciated
cdnscg is offline  
post #2048 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,836
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Just tried Netflix but can't seem to find on the UB820 where I can confirm what the unit is receiving from Netflix. My AVR states 1080P but the Netflix show 'Haunting of Hill House' states its in HDR. I have the UB820 set to auto 4K and SDR/2020. My PJ is 4k but not hdr.
For BR discs the UB820 has not issue sending a 4K signal.
Any suggestions appreciated
Netflix is very strict about HDCP 2.2. If your projector is not HDR capable, I suspect it does not have HDCP 2.2 but 1.4 instead.

The UB820 will send 4K to a HDCP 1.4 display from UHD HDR discs when in SDR/2020 output mode, but I think Netflix has restrictions that the UB820 does not.

If you happen to own a HDfury device (Integral, Linker, Vertex) you can fool Netflix into believing that you have a HDCP 2.2 display.

Plus, there is still the issue that Netflix on the UB820 will send 4K SDR/REC709 instead of 4K SDR/BT2020 when the UB820 is in SDR/BT2020 mode even if your display supports HDR. I don't know if this is a bug or by design.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 11-06-2018 at 09:12 AM.
claw is online now  
post #2049 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 09:29 AM
Member
 
ColoFatherof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebling View Post
Does anyone know where to buy this in the US? Best Buy, Value Electronics, and the Panasonic shop all show sold out until Dec / Jan.
I went to my local Best Buy store last night and was able to order one. It will arrive on my door step this Thursday. You may want to check with your local store.
ColoFatherof3 is online now  
post #2050 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
tebling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoFatherof3 View Post
I went to my local Best Buy store last night and was able to order one. It will arrive on my door step this Thursday. You may want to check with your local store.
Thanks for the heads up! As it happens, the BB website showed new stock last night, so I quickly ordered one. Should be delivered Thursday!
tebling is offline  
post #2051 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Netflix is very strict about HDCP 2.2. If your projector is not HDR capable, I suspect it does not have HDCP 2.2 but 1.4 instead.

The UB820 will send 4K to a HDCP 1.4 display from UHD HDR discs when in SDR/2020 output mode, but I think Netflix has restrictions that the UB820 does not.

If you happen to own a HDfury device (Integral, Linker, Vertex) you can fool Netflix into believing that you have a HDCP 2.2 display.

Plus, there is still the issue that Netflix on the UB820 will send 4K SDR/REC709 instead of 4K SDR/BT2020 when the UB820 is in SDR/BT2020 mode even if your display supports HDR. I don't know if this is a bug or by design.
Thanks for the feed back, but my Sony ES300 is 2.2 compliant, and so it the avr. What about accessing what the UB820 is receiving during playback of Netflix? This info is easily displayed during a disc playback.
cdnscg is offline  
post #2052 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,836
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Thanks for the feed back, but my Sony ES300 is 2.2 compliant, and so it the avr. What about accessing what the UB820 is receiving during playback of Netflix? This info is easily displayed during a disc playback.
I have not found a way to get Netflix signal information.

Of the posters that reported 1080p from Netflix in this thread, is it just a coincidence that most of them seem to have Sony displays?

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is online now  
post #2053 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I have not found a way to get Netflix signal information.

Of the posters that reported 1080p from Netflix in this thread, is it just a coincidence that most of them seem to have Sony displays?
Probably not. This HDMI tech can be finicky
cdnscg is offline  
post #2054 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Member
 
cyphers72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: California
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmckinl View Post
Ok, thank you kindly sir! Might try dl'ing the 2012 app to see if it works at all. Even if just the basic functions operate that might be sufficient for day-to-day use once I have the more advanced features of the unit set up. Cheers!
I tried a crazy number of apps trying to get this player to work, including that one, apps years old, apps from other vendors, the Miracast app that Panasonic's website implied works. Trust me, none of them work. I find it very unlikely Panasonic would retroactively create IP control for units they have already shipped. That is just not how the consumer electronics industry works. If they were going to do that, they would have issued it as a promise at announcement time like Sony promised Dolby Vision when they announced the UBP-X700. I returned this player. The gimmick of trying to get HDR-like color out of non-HDR systems does not counterbalance the evident lack of effort put into every other aspect of this player especially control.
cyphers72 is offline  
post #2055 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Ben Withrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have the 820 driving a Sony 1000/1100 projector, which is 4K capable but basically only has DCI (basically BT2020 by another name) and Rec 709 color space support. I have an HD Fury linker to force BT2020 UHD content to the projector. I do have a pretty large screen (159" diagonal ST130 with a 2.0:1 aspect ratio). The good news is that the 820 has a great HD to 4K scaler. The Sony has a pretty good scaler, but the 820 seems to be noticeably better, which surprises me. The bad news is that I can't get a HDR 4K blu ray source to look as good as the scaled HD blu ray. With the 4K HDR blu ray content, the image has less contrast and brightness, plus, the colors are just not as accurate as the HD blu ray source. The image is significantly dimmer and the black levels are significantly elevated. Even on a relatively large screen, the increase in detail is not that noticeable, but the loss of contrast, brightness, and color accuracy is very noticeable.

Is anyone else coming to the conclusion that they should just stick with HD blu ray for their non HDR projectors when using the 820? Are there any suggestions on player settings or projector settings?

I can get back some of the brightness hit back, if I output 4K rec 709, but the HDR content still seems problematic.

Ben
Ben Withrow is offline  
post #2056 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post
I have the 820 driving a Sony 1000/1100 projector, which is 4K capable but basically only has DCI (basically BT2020 by another name) and Rec 709 color space support. I have an HD Fury linker to force BT2020 UHD content to the projector. I do have a pretty large screen (159" diagonal ST130 with a 2.0:1 aspect ratio). The good news is that the 820 has a great HD to 4K scaler. The Sony has a pretty good scaler, but the 820 seems to be noticeably better, which surprises me. The bad news is that I can't get a HDR 4K blu ray source to look as good as the scaled HD blu ray. With the 4K HDR blu ray content, the image has less contrast and brightness, plus, the colors are just not as accurate as the HD blu ray source. The image is significantly dimmer and the black levels are significantly elevated. Even on a relatively large screen, the increase in detail is not that noticeable, but the loss of contrast, brightness, and color accuracy is very noticeable.

Is anyone else coming to the conclusion that they should just stick with HD blu ray for their non HDR projectors when using the 820? Are there any suggestions on player settings or projector settings?

I can get back some of the brightness hit back, if I output 4K rec 709, but the HDR content still seems problematic.
Hows the 4K disc image without the Fury? I know it will only send sd/rec709. On my Sony ES300 the UB820 performs better than the Sony X800 which I had to adjust from pj to tv and then the brightness. Watched the 4K original Blade Runner and it never look better.
cdnscg is offline  
post #2057 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Just tried Netflix but can't seem to find on the UB820 where I can confirm what the unit is receiving from Netflix. My AVR states 1080P but the Netflix show 'Haunting of Hill House' states its in HDR. I have the UB820 set to auto 4K and SDR/2020. My PJ is 4k but not hdr.
For BR discs the UB820 has not issue sending a 4K signal.
Any suggestions appreciated

If you look back a page or two, you will see that I have the exact same issue. For me Netflix is streaming at 1080p (menus and content) and the content is showing as "HDR" rather than "UHD". Absolutely everything on Netflix is streaming at 1080p rather than 4K. All of my other streaming services (VUDU, Amazon Prime, and etc) are streaming at 4K and I'm able to play UHD discs at native 4K resolution as well. Not everybody seems to be having this issue but I haven't figured out what is causing the issue. My PJ is also 4K but not HDR capable. It is 4K 60p as well but only in 8-Bit 4:2:0 mode.


I have other streaming devices for my Netflix content so it's not a huge issue for me but I sure would like to figure out why this is happening.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
post #2058 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Netflix is very strict about HDCP 2.2. If your projector is not HDR capable, I suspect it does not have HDCP 2.2 but 1.4 instead.

The UB820 will send 4K to a HDCP 1.4 display from UHD HDR discs when in SDR/2020 output mode, but I think Netflix has restrictions that the UB820 does not.

If you happen to own a HDfury device (Integral, Linker, Vertex) you can fool Netflix into believing that you have a HDCP 2.2 display.

Plus, there is still the issue that Netflix on the UB820 will send 4K SDR/REC709 instead of 4K SDR/BT2020 when the UB820 is in SDR/BT2020 mode even if your display supports HDR. I don't know if this is a bug or by design.

Claw, I'm having this issue and my output device is a Sony PJ but it and the AVR are both HDCP 2.2 compliant. I have recently added the HDFury Integral 2 (new product) but that hasn't changed the 1080p Netflix output. I mainly added the Integral 2 to "trick" the source devices into thinking that my projector has BT2020 support. Like Ben Withrow, who just posted as well, the Sony 1100 projector has DCI support but not BT2020. Still playing with the setup but the Netflix 1080p thing has me stumped.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
post #2059 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Ben Withrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post
I have the 820 driving a Sony 1000/1100 projector, which is 4K capable but basically only has DCI (basically BT2020 by another name) and Rec 709 color space support. I have an HD Fury linker to force BT2020 UHD content to the projector. I do have a pretty large screen (159" diagonal ST130 with a 2.0:1 aspect ratio). The good news is that the 820 has a great HD to 4K scaler. The Sony has a pretty good scaler, but the 820 seems to be noticeably better, which surprises me. The bad news is that I can't get a HDR 4K blu ray source to look as good as the scaled HD blu ray. With the 4K HDR blu ray content, the image has less contrast and brightness, plus, the colors are just not as accurate as the HD blu ray source. The image is significantly dimmer and the black levels are significantly elevated. Even on a relatively large screen, the increase in detail is not that noticeable, but the loss of contrast, brightness, and color accuracy is very noticeable.

Is anyone else coming to the conclusion that they should just stick with HD blu ray for their non HDR projectors when using the 820? Are there any suggestions on player settings or projector settings?

I can get back some of the brightness hit back, if I output 4K rec 709, but the HDR content still seems problematic.
Hows the 4K disc image without the Fury? I know it will only send sd/rec709. On my Sony ES300 the UB820 performs better than the Sony X800 which I had to adjust from pj to tv and then the brightness. Watched the 4K original Blade Runner and it never look better.
I’m not sure I understand what you are suggesting. The 820 is scaling HD very well.

Ben
Ben Withrow is offline  
post #2060 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
No clue what someone is talking about with regards to a logo, there isn’t one. It will display the program in whatever aspect ratio it is. It looks great on my A8F.
I have the Sony 77 A1E and on the 820 netflix shows 1080p and picture is washed out. Playing netflix throught the TV Im getting DV and it looks amazing.Did you do anything in setup on the tv or player to get it to work?

Thanks
Treepork is offline  
post #2061 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,836
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
If you look back a page or two, you will see that I have the exact same issue. For me Netflix is streaming at 1080p (menus and content) and the content is showing as "HDR" rather than "UHD". Absolutely everything on Netflix is streaming at 1080p rather than 4K. All of my other streaming services (VUDU, Amazon Prime, and etc) are streaming at 4K and I'm able to play UHD discs at native 4K resolution as well. Not everybody seems to be having this issue but I haven't figured out what is causing the issue. My PJ is also 4K but not HDR capable. It is 4K 60p as well but only in 8-Bit 4:2:0 mode.

I have other streaming devices for my Netflix content so it's not a huge issue for me but I sure would like to figure out why this is happening.
It is 4K 60p as well but only in 8-Bit 4:2:0 mode.

This would seem to be the reason.

I can cause Netflix to output 1080p by either of two methods:

1. In HDMI Settings, set the UB820 4K60p Output value to 4K/60p(4:2:0) instead of 4K/60p(4:4:4).

2. In my HDFury Vertex that sits between my Denon X6400H and JVC RS500 HDR projector, I configure a 4K60 4:2:0 8-bit HDR BT.2020 EDID. This way the UB820 and Netflix believe that my display only supports 4K60 4:2:0 8-bit and I get 1080p/60 to my projector.
Schwa and SLYDoggie like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is online now  
post #2062 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
golden78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: syracuse
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Has anyone had any issues when playing a disc and all of a sudden it like has a hiccup and picture gets all discolored pixels and distorted for a second and then the audio is out of sync? I got the incredibles 2 4k disc and watched it on my panasonic 820 and jvc rs440 and like 4 times during movie randomly the picture partly distorted and then the audio was out of sync and I had to stop disc and restart it to get it in sync again
golden78 is online now  
post #2063 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 07:50 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post
I have the 820 driving a Sony 1000/1100 projector, which is 4K capable but basically only has DCI (basically BT2020 by another name) and Rec 709 color space support. I have an HD Fury linker to force BT2020 UHD content to the projector. I do have a pretty large screen (159" diagonal ST130 with a 2.0:1 aspect ratio). The good news is that the 820 has a great HD to 4K scaler. The Sony has a pretty good scaler, but the 820 seems to be noticeably better, which surprises me. The bad news is that I can't get a HDR 4K blu ray source to look as good as the scaled HD blu ray. With the 4K HDR blu ray content, the image has less contrast and brightness, plus, the colors are just not as accurate as the HD blu ray source. The image is significantly dimmer and the black levels are significantly elevated. Even on a relatively large screen, the increase in detail is not that noticeable, but the loss of contrast, brightness, and color accuracy is very noticeable.



Is anyone else coming to the conclusion that they should just stick with HD blu ray for their non HDR projectors when using the 820? Are there any suggestions on player settings or projector settings?



I can get back some of the brightness hit back, if I output 4K rec 709, but the HDR content still seems problematic.

Well since you’re saying that the Sony 1100 doesn’t support HDR and BT2020, yet you’re sending it that signal, therein lies the problem.

You do have wider color gamut support though, DCI-P3, which is wider than Rec709 but smaller and in a different phase relationship (tint) than BT2020. What UHD Blu-ray and current HDR streaming video sources are mastered in is the DCI-P3 color gamut within a BT2020 container, so when choosing which color space to select in the display device, you should choose BT2020. Since your VW1100 doesn’t have that, what you need to do is select DCI but then you’ll have to go into the CMS (Color Management System) and send a BT2020 pattern for each primary and secondary color and use a colorimeter to adjust it to the proper BT2020 coordinates so the colors look right.

As for the HDR, have you tried the tone mapped output setting for SDR BT2020, or are you sending the full HDR BT2020 signal out of the UB820? If its HDR and you don’t want to tone map to SDR BT2020 from the UB820, then you’d need to do what I do for non native HDR displays, something I call HarperVision. You’re basically just switching to SDR power gamma (2.2, 2.4, etc.) in the projector then manually jerking the settings around, sometimes to their max, to get the proper output on screen. You can get an idea of what’s involved by reading the link below my signature here for the Epson 5040UB’s HarperVision process and settings.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2064 of 5173 Old 11-06-2018, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I don't have the Oppo but there have been a number of forum members who have sold their Oppo 203 after moving to the 820 and they appear to be happy campers. There are always going to be issues reported on forums like this for all players. Some of them are valid and some of them are just user errors in setup and operation. If you wait for issue resolution, you will forever be on the sideline waiting for the next player to be announced (which will have a new set of issues).
I do have an Oppo-203 but got the UB820 because it had the HDR Optimizer. I use the 820 as the primary disc spinner but won't give up the Oppo because it's still an excellent disc player and is superior to the 820 when it comes to playing video files. It can play pretty much any kind of video and audio including DolbyTrue HD and DTS MA-HD. The 820 can't play lossless audio. The Oppo also recognizes chapter marks in MKVs, something that the 820 can't do. Having both players covers all of my needs.
woodhead2 likes this.
Cal1981 is offline  
post #2065 of 5173 Old 11-07-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,718
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Since your VW1100 doesn’t have that, what you need to do is select DCI but then you’ll have to go into the CMS (Color Management System) and send a BT2020 pattern for each primary and secondary color and use a colorimeter to adjust it to the proper BT2020 coordinates so the colors look right.
Dave, hi the VW1100 does not have a CMS, he would need an external VP
Dave Harper likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #2066 of 5173 Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 AM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
It is 4K 60p as well but only in 8-Bit 4:2:0 mode.

This would seem to be the reason.

I can cause Netflix to output 1080p by either of two methods:

1. In HDMI Settings, set the UB820 4K60p Output value to 4K/60p(4:2:0) instead of 4K/60p(4:4:4).

2. In my HDFury Vertex that sits between my Denon X6400H and JVC RS500 HDR projector, I configure a 4K60 4:2:0 8-bit HDR BT.2020 EDID. This way the UB820 and Netflix believe that my display only supports 4K60 4:2:0 8-bit and I get 1080p/60 to my projector.

I have a feeling you have hit on the issue. I don't know how you have time to research and test these things but I'm glad you do

I'm out of town through the weekend but will do some additional testing when I return. I have the HDFury Integral 2 which has the same capabilities as the HDFury Vertex (just without the OLED) and can play around with the settings. I'm still learning the settings on the Integral 2 but I assume I can "fool" the 820 into thinking that I have full 4:4:4 support on the front end but output 4:2:0 8bit on the back side to the projector. It sounds like that will get past the 1080p Netflix output on the 820. The main reason I bought the Integral 2 was to overcome the 4K60p 8bit 4:2:0 limitations of the projector as it has caused me HDMI handshake issues through time with my source devices. I'll just have to experiment until I find the optimal settings on the Integral 2.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
post #2067 of 5173 Old 11-07-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,836
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I have a feeling you have hit on the issue. I don't know how you have time to research and test these things but I'm glad you do

I'm out of town through the weekend but will do some additional testing when I return. I have the HDFury Integral 2 which has the same capabilities as the HDFury Vertex (just without the OLED) and can play around with the settings. I'm still learning the settings on the Integral 2 but I assume I can "fool" the 820 into thinking that I have full 4:4:4 support on the front end but output 4:2:0 8bit on the back side to the projector. It sounds like that will get past the 1080p Netflix output on the 820. The main reason I bought the Integral 2 was to overcome the 4K60p 8bit 4:2:0 limitations of the projector as it has caused me HDMI handshake issues through time with my source devices. I'll just have to experiment until I find the optimal settings on the Integral 2.
Yes. Select a 4K60 444 HDR EDID in the Integral2 so Netflix thinks you have a full HDR display. (That would be custom EDID 11 in the Vertex but I am not certain that the Integral2 numbers them the same.) Connect the projector to the top output of the Integral2 and turn on its scaler to scale 4K60 to 4K60 4:2:0 8-bit.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 11-07-2018 at 10:05 AM.
claw is online now  
post #2068 of 5173 Old 11-07-2018, 08:09 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Dave, hi the VW1100 does not have a CMS, he would need an external VP

That’s right, thanks for reminding me again Jason.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2069 of 5173 Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 AM
Member
 
monkaquinas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Epson 5040UB & Panny UB820 HDR Tone Mapping

Guys,

Lots of Sony, LG, and other Flat Panel info out there. I have been rocking the 820 with my 5040 and have enjoyed the SDR/BT2020 & HDR Optimizer for my UHD discs, but as many others have found using the Prime & Netflix app less than fulfilling.

I'd appreciate some confirmation, from those more knowledgeable than I, if this is due to the 5040 bit limitation.

Epson5040UB - DragonFly DFM Tab 92HC High Contrast (.9 gain) 16:9 Screen - Denon AVRS740H - Klipsch Quintet V +
Klipsch KHC-6 In-Ceiling (Atmos 5.2.2) with Polk PSW110 Sub & Monoprice Premium Select 8" Sub (via iFinity Wireless Audio) - Panasonic UB820 - PS3
monkaquinas is online now  
post #2070 of 5173 Old 11-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Yes. Select a 4K60 444 HDR EDID in the Integral2 so Netflix thinks you have a full HDR display. (That would be custom EDID 11 in the Vertex but I am not certain that the Integral2 numbers them the same.) Connect the projector to the top output of the Integral2 and turn on its scaler to scale 4K60 to 4K60 4:2:0 8-bit.

Yes the EDID banks are the same for the Vertex and Integral 2... I compared them in the manual. Wouldn't I want #14 which is the same as 11 but SDR rather than HDR? That is what I have currently set up on the Integral 2. I definitely don't have HDR capability on the PJ so I would have assumed that I wouldn't want to present that to the 820... Especially since I'm using the HDR to BT2020 SDR capabilities of the 820.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off