Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5787Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2761 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 05:52 AM
Member
 
gnicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I apologize if this has been discussed previously.


I'm using an LG B7 with the UB820. If I'm using the HDR Optimizer on the 820, should I also have have tone-mapping enabled on the B7? (i.e. Dynamic Contrast set to Low)


Doing this would seem to add tone-mapping on both ends, and I'm wondering if this is ill-advised for any reason.



Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


Greg
gymnos likes this.
gnicks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2762 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 06:19 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,411
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5932 Post(s)
Liked: 8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicks View Post
I apologize if this has been discussed previously.


I'm using an LG B7 with the UB820. If I'm using the HDR Optimizer on the 820, should I also have have tone-mapping enabled on the B7? (i.e. Dynamic Contrast set to Low)


Doing this would seem to add tone-mapping on both ends, and I'm wondering if this is ill-advised for any reason.



Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


Greg
The reports here recommend keeping BOTH enabled. The Optimizer in the player dynamically tone maps non 1000 nit content to the 1000 nit range and sends that to the TV. The dynamic tone mapping in the B7 then optimizes its presentation of that 1000 nit input.
--Bob
Rudy1, claw, Bytehoven and 3 others like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #2763 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
When you say non HDR, do you mean it is BT2020 but no HDR metadata? Or it is 4k rec709?
Its 4k rec 709. Id assume all the non hdr discs are
MOberhardt likes this.

JVC RS2000//JVC RS540 in Triple Black Velvet batcave
Anthem mrx1120
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV// PS4 Pro
Stewart Filmscreen 135" 16x9 Cima Neve
jbrinegar is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2764 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Wire Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally got my 820... from BBY. Wow is the picture fantastic on my LG OLED!
Can someone direct me to the page (s) where guys talk about why there is no sound from the HDMI? I have looked at many pages but can't find reference to this.
I have sound through my stereo (RCA) but have the HDMI plugged into the 1 position on my Yami receiver, but no sound, I have the TV plugged into the #3 position but no sound from the 820 either.
Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by Wire Nut; 01-10-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Wire Nut is offline  
post #2765 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Member
 
kevyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Anyone in Canada know if the UB820 gets Amazon Prime? I've ordered one weeks ago, Burt still waiting, and curious.
Yes. I received one for Christmas... Netflix, Prime, YouTube. Latest available firmware updated.
kevyh is offline  
post #2766 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevyh View Post
Yes. I received one for Christmas... Netflix, Prime, YouTube. Latest available firmware updated.
Thanks for the response. I have since received my unit several months ago.
cdnscg is offline  
post #2767 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Gardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The reports here recommend keeping BOTH enabled. The Optimizer in the player dynamically tone maps non 1000 nit content to the 1000 nit range and sends that to the TV. The dynamic tone mapping in the B7 then optimizes its presentation of that 1000 nit input.
--Bob
Are these two different kinds of tone mapping? As I understand it, when the 820 Optimizer is on, it takes the static HDR10 metadata encoded into the source and maps it against the highest light output available on the TV set. This optimization means the image on the TV has the widest dynamic range possible for this content given the limits of the set, with no white clipping. In this case, there's a standard on the source material--the HDR10 metadata--that is being mapped onto the set's capabilities.

When the TV set does its dynamic tone mapping, though, the set is making a best-guess calculation on a scene-by-scene basis in which each scene is analyzed for its content and TV-generated changes are made based on that analysis. The analysis and changes may end up with pleasing results, depending on the viewer's preference and the content and the sophistication of the TV's calculations, but the tone-mapping is essentially independent of any metadata introduced into the source content by the color grader. What you get, then, isn't necessarily related to any decisions made by the content creator.

As I understand it, that's why rtings.com says to turn dynamic tone-mapping off on the LG.

As always, I speak under correction!
gymnos likes this.
Gardo is offline  
post #2768 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm not sure what is going on with the availability of the UB820. I contacted Panasonic and the said it would be "pre-ordered". What is going on with the unit? I started out with oppo-93 for Blu-ray 1080p and the Optoma HD20. It is still a great projector, however, I bought the Optoma UHD60. I first bought the Samsung K8500 which is good and is now in our den. I bought the M8500 with the Optoma UHD60 and the picture is pretty good for a 71 year old man. I got a good deal on the Sony X700, so I bought it as well. I am using a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 AVR and the RX-A3010 for an external amp so that I could get 7.2.4 which will blow your ears off. I was looking at the forum and I saw several references to the Panasonic UB820-K and many said it is the best 4K UHD Blu-ray Player. I'm champing at the bit to get one, but I'm not sure where to go. Amazon doesn't show it, but Best Buy does at retail. I would appreciate if I could get some references for sources to buy one. Thanks, bunches for an old tarheel from the crossroads of I-95 and I-40. For those not educated, Tarheels are from the great state of North Carolina.
jdhelaman is offline  
post #2769 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,627
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhelaman View Post
I'm not sure what is going on with the availability of the UB820. I contacted Panasonic and the said it would be "pre-ordered". What is going on with the unit? I started out with oppo-93 for Blu-ray 1080p and the Optoma HD20. It is still a great projector, however, I bought the Optoma UHD60. I first bought the Samsung K8500 which is good and is now in our den. I bought the M8500 with the Optoma UHD60 and the picture is pretty good for a 71 year old man. I got a good deal on the Sony X700, so I bought it as well. I am using a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 AVR and the RX-A3010 for an external amp so that I could get 7.2.4 which will blow your ears off. I was looking at the forum and I saw several references to the Panasonic UB820-K and many said it is the best 4K UHD Blu-ray Player. I'm champing at the bit to get one, but I'm not sure where to go. Amazon doesn't show it, but Best Buy does at retail. I would appreciate if I could get some references for sources to buy one. Thanks, bunches for an old tarheel from the crossroads of I-95 and I-40. For those not educated, Tarheels are from the great state of North Carolina.
Bought mine from BestBuy.com. Delivered in 2 days. They still have them in stock.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro,Yamaha MX-A5000 Amps x2,Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x2,Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, DT UIW94/A x4, (Atmos) Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #2770 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Nut View Post
I finally got my 820... from BBY. Wow is the picture fantastic on my LG OLED!

Can someone direct me to the page (s) where guys talk about why there is no sound from the HDMI? I have looked at many pages but can't find reference to this.

I have sound through my stereo (RCA) but have the HDMI plugged into the 1 position on my Yami receiver, but no sound, I have the TV plugged into the #3 position but no sound from the 820 either.

Thanks a bunch!


Congrats on your new player! It sounds like you need to go into the 820 menu and be sure bitstream is enabled under audio. If that doesn’t help, go through all your audio settings and double check all your settings (and make sure volume is at a comfortable level in your receiver)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
post #2771 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SoCal HiDez
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Bought mine from BestBuy.com. Delivered in 2 days. They still have them in stock.
Me too... the wife walked into our local BB/Magnolia store last Monday and took it off the shelf.
They had a few..
WOKNROX is offline  
post #2772 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ac388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Noted with thanks. Does it mean if I use the SDR/BT2020(Auto) on the 820 for HDR material as Chris recommended on projector, I have to use my initial SDR calibration setting inside my projector, instead of HDR ???



Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR

Last edited by ac388; 01-10-2019 at 11:12 PM.
ac388 is offline  
post #2773 of 7972 Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Nut View Post
I finally got my 820... from BBY. Wow is the picture fantastic on my LG OLED!
Can someone direct me to the page (s) where guys talk about why there is no sound from the HDMI? I have looked at many pages but can't find reference to this.
I have sound through my stereo (RCA) but have the HDMI plugged into the 1 position on my Yami receiver, but no sound, I have the TV plugged into the #3 position but no sound from the 820 either.
Thanks a bunch!
HDMI audio is cut off if RCA is plugged in.
qoopy is offline  
post #2774 of 7972 Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Wire Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys, I must be doing something wrong or have a defective unit. I unplugged the RCA and still have no sound.

Here are my settings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Audio-settings.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2509304   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI-settings.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	2509306  
Wire Nut is offline  
post #2775 of 7972 Old 01-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Member
 
kevyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Well, I can confirm that I can't seem to get the Amazon app to do HDR. I'm not even sure its doing UHD. I wonder why they would say that it won't be receiving an update?

I have Dolby Vision turned off on my 820 because my 2016 OLED can't be calibrated in that mode and I don't use it.

But the Netflix app is working great with HDR and Atmos.

Can you post a screenshot showing Atmos on the 820's Netflix app? Officially it's not supported.
kevyh is offline  
post #2776 of 7972 Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Member
 
Wire Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got it! In audio I had to set both audio and video to HDMI only.
Al Kuenster likes this.
Wire Nut is offline  
post #2777 of 7972 Old 01-11-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Anyone with a Sony pj find a way to get Netflix in HDR on the UB820?
cdnscg is offline  
post #2778 of 7972 Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SoCal HiDez
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post
Noted with thanks. Does it mean if I use the SDR/BT2020(Auto) on the 820 for HDR material as Chris recommended on projector, I have to use my initial SDR calibration setting inside my projector, instead of HDR ???
Not sure what PJ you have but with my JVC pj I set it to...

BT2020
65k
Custom-1 and select 2.4 gamma...

If you don't have any test equipment and are adjusting by eye then you'll want to make them in the PJ.

Hope this helps.
Bytehoven likes this.
WOKNROX is offline  
post #2779 of 7972 Old 01-11-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Anyone with a Sony pj find a way to get Netflix in HDR on the UB820?
Don't have a Sony but I believe the issue is that it might not support 4K60 4:2:2. Netflix will not send HDR if the display can only support 4K60 at 4:2:0. I have no idea why the Netflix App behaves this way; 4K60 4:2:0 10-bit is perfectly legal for HDR.

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti
claw is offline  
post #2780 of 7972 Old 01-11-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,710
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevyh View Post
Can you post a screenshot showing Atmos on the 820's Netflix app? Officially it's not supported.
Photos of Netflix App and my Denon AVR audio OSD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA8412B9-C77C-4CBF-B6E1-8302803DC5C0.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2509608   Click image for larger version

Name:	E1B027DD-6F6A-4B47-B164-C9BFF7A9ECC8.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2509610  
MOberhardt and lizrussspike like this.

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti
claw is offline  
post #2781 of 7972 Old 01-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Member
 
kevyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
Im curious about this too. Even though I get atmos on my apple tv and xbox, Id like it here too so I can use the 820s TM.

Ive never been able to get atmos on netflix or amazon prime, but I know others have said they get atmos with netflix and with Jack Ryan on Amazon. I cant find anything in the players setting to get it to output atmos.
The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:
Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
Pixela 4K Smart Tuner.
Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)
Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X.

Dolby Atmos on Netflix - Netflix Help Center
kevyh is offline  
post #2782 of 7972 Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevyh View Post
The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:
Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
Pixela 4K Smart Tuner.
Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)
Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X.

Dolby Atmos on Netflix - Netflix Help Center
Im perfectly aware of this (possibly outdated) list. It doesn’t change the fact that many people do get atmos on the 820

JVC RS2000//JVC RS540 in Triple Black Velvet batcave
Anthem mrx1120
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Oppo 203 //Xbox one X // Apple 4k TV// PS4 Pro
Stewart Filmscreen 135" 16x9 Cima Neve
jbrinegar is online now  
post #2783 of 7972 Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Member
 
Gotdablus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there a plan to fix the glitching on 4k content on Amazon prime? Unfortunate that there are only 3 apps and one doesn't work. Also, why no 24p on Netflix content?
Gotdablus is offline  
post #2784 of 7972 Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,401
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6194
I gave up and just my Roku.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #2785 of 7972 Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
ProjectEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Has anyone had success in setting up Smart Assistant functionality? I am unable to register my player to use through Google Home because the registration site login endlessly says "parameter error, please try again".

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
ProjectEF is offline  
post #2786 of 7972 Old 01-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Member
 
stummala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
Im perfectly aware of this (possibly outdated) list. It doesn’t change the fact that many people do get atmos on the 820
Yes, many people get Atmos with Netflix and Atmos with Prime Video. However, I've tried every possible combination for weeks to get Atmos with either one. No dice.

The fact is, OFFICIALLY, Atmos is NOT available with Netflix nor Prime Video. The fact that certain individuals get Atmos is the exception and not the rule. Obviously there is some combination of HDCP flag or signaling or something that is activating Atmos with those owners of the UB820 that get Atmos with streaming media.

However, one phone call to Netflix, Panasonic, or Amazon CS will confirm that **OFFICIALLY** the player doesn't support it; and MOST haven't been able to achieve it.

I finally bought a 4K Apple TV and couldn't be happier with the PQ and the Atmos support. Even if Atmos worked for me with Prime Video, the quality of picture sucked...with its stuttering, glitchy playback, etc....and I have gigabit internet with an ethernet connection to the 820.
Hawks07 likes this.
stummala is offline  
post #2787 of 7972 Old 01-13-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,086
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Im not sure players and AVR's will get HDMI 2.1 chips this year, and I'd be really hesitant on the displays claiming it first year. They like to pull tricks with specs to be first.
Unless an HDMI 2.1 chip costs the same as an HDMI 2.0b chip, there is absolutely no reason to have one in a current BR player. Our current BR players cannot do 8K, nor is there even any prospect of an 8K physical medium in the offing. If 8K physical media ever appears, I'm sure it will require entirely new hardware and a new player. But, 8K can be sent via streaming and if one is able to access some future 8K stream via the BR player's apps, it would be useful to have an HDMI 2.1 chip. At some point, the HDMI 2.1 chips will become a commodity and there will be no reason one would use a 2.0b chip, even if it were available. That day is not today.

I mention 8K because THAT is the reason for HDMI 2.1. Many other HDMI 2.1 features, such as eARC, can be added to our existing HDMI 2.0b chips by firmware update. Two of my Denon receivers already have this.
Rudy1 likes this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, Emotiva E1 sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
Ted99 is offline  
post #2788 of 7972 Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,706
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
And... if/when 8K arrives in earnest for consumer based products I doubt it will use the HEVC video format. It's more likely to use the forthcoming VVC (Versatile Video Coding) format

Meaning there will be no consumer based 8K products until 2021 at the earliest
645824 likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #2789 of 7972 Old 01-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by stummala View Post
Yes, many people get Atmos with Netflix and Atmos with Prime Video. However, I've tried every possible combination for weeks to get Atmos with either one. No dice.

The fact is, OFFICIALLY, Atmos is NOT available with Netflix nor Prime Video. The fact that certain individuals get Atmos is the exception and not the rule. Obviously there is some combination of HDCP flag or signaling or something that is activating Atmos with those owners of the UB820 that get Atmos with streaming media.

However, one phone call to Netflix, Panasonic, or Amazon CS will confirm that **OFFICIALLY** the player doesn't support it; and MOST haven't been able to achieve it.

I finally bought a 4K Apple TV and couldn't be happier with the PQ and the Atmos support. Even if Atmos worked for me with Prime Video, the quality of picture sucked...with its stuttering, glitchy playback, etc....and I have gigabit internet with an ethernet connection to the 820.
Same thing with me as well. No Atmos with with Netflix and the Amazon app is just garbage, so just gave up and sticking with Apple TV.
Hawks07 is offline  
post #2790 of 7972 Old 01-13-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,942
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Meaning there will be no consumer based 8K products until 2021 at the earliest [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
Uhhh where are you getting 2021?
Most TV mfgr such as LG, Samsung, and TCL are slated to have 8K displays available for consumers this year. Did you miss CES recently?

LG 77C9PUB + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k blu-ray player , blu-ray player , blu-ray settings , panasonic ub820

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off