AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2990966-official-panasonic-dp-ub820-824-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

Giak 07-18-2018 02:17 AM

Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody,
shipping of this new player is on the way, many of us are waiting their delivery. I got my UB820 last week and still testing. So far I am very happy about my purchase. I am using it directly connected by hdmi to a Sony Oled KD-65A1 and picture quality is stunning. Can't say about audio quality since I still have to build a Home theatre audio system in this new house.
Hope to talk soon with other owners.
If anybody has any question about the player, feel free to ask!
https://www.panasonic.com/content/da...al-1_it_it.png
Techincal Specs attached

Garret Wood 07-18-2018 06:21 AM

Any word on if the Dolby Vision update is live yet?

Charles Garcia 07-18-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret Wood (Post 56506010)

The update will be on fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blafarm 07-18-2018 02:15 PM

Giak, thanks for starting this thread.

Like many others, I've been waiting for more details about this player to learn if it suffers from the same reported user interface problems that the Sony UBP-x700 has.

More specifically, a recent Forbes article entitled Sony's UBP-X700 Now Plays Dolby Vision 4K Blu-rays Into Sony TVs - But It's All A Bit Of A Mess exposes the following problems:

"First, unlike other Dolby Vision-capable source devices, an updated X700 can’t automatically detect whether the source you’re watching is playing in HDR10 or Dolby Vision. You manually have to switch its Dolby Vision mode on via the player’s set up menus when you want to watch a DV source."

"The lack of auto Dolby Vision/HDR10 switching is arguably even more of an issue with the X700's VUDU and Netflix apps. The thing is, these services carry a mixture of non-HDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision content. Yet in Netflix’s case in particular, you only get a notification on its menus if a title is available in Dolby Vision if the app detects that it's running on a Dolby Vision-capable device. So with the X700, most users won’t be able to tell if a show they're interested in is available in Dolby Vision on Netflix unless they manually switch the X700’s Dolby Vision mode on to check if the header information for that show changes to say Dolby Vision."

"Even more clumsy is the fact that if you activate the Dolby Vision mode on the X700, everything you play on the deck is output to your TV behind a Dolby Vision flag. As a result, even standard dynamic range HD Blu-rays and DVDs are presented to your TV as Dolby Vision sources. Which triggers your TV to go into Dolby Vision playback mode, resulting in pictures that look much brighter than they’re supposed to."

"Thanks to this inability of the X700 to automatically switch in and out of Dolby Vision mode, you can’t just switch the mode on and leave it at that. You really are going to have to manually keep toggling DV on and off, with all the faff and potential for missing Dolby Vision sources that entails."

It may be too early, but can you please comment on whether or not the Panasonic DP-UB820 suffers from the same issues?

Thanks

teachsac 07-18-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blafarm (Post 56508714)
Giak, thanks for starting this thread.

Like many others, I've been waiting for more details about this player to learn if it suffers from the same reported user interface problems that the Sony UBP-x700 has.

More specifically, a recent Forbes article entitled Sony's UBP-X700 Now Plays Dolby Vision 4K Blu-rays Into Sony TVs - But It's All A Bit Of A Mess exposes the following problems:

"First, unlike other Dolby Vision-capable source devices, an updated X700 can’t automatically detect whether the source you’re watching is playing in HDR10 or Dolby Vision. You manually have to switch its Dolby Vision mode on via the player’s set up menus when you want to watch a DV source."

"The lack of auto Dolby Vision/HDR10 switching is arguably even more of an issue with the X700's VUDU and Netflix apps. The thing is, these services carry a mixture of non-HDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision content. Yet in Netflix’s case in particular, you only get a notification on its menus if a title is available in Dolby Vision if the app detects that it's running on a Dolby Vision-capable device. So with the X700, most users won’t be able to tell if a show they're interested in is available in Dolby Vision on Netflix unless they manually switch the X700’s Dolby Vision mode on to check if the header information for that show changes to say Dolby Vision."

"Even more clumsy is the fact that if you activate the Dolby Vision mode on the X700, everything you play on the deck is output to your TV behind a Dolby Vision flag. As a result, even standard dynamic range HD Blu-rays and DVDs are presented to your TV as Dolby Vision sources. Which triggers your TV to go into Dolby Vision playback mode, resulting in pictures that look much brighter than they’re supposed to."

"Thanks to this inability of the X700 to automatically switch in and out of Dolby Vision mode, you can’t just switch the mode on and leave it at that. You really are going to have to manually keep toggling DV on and off, with all the faff and potential for missing Dolby Vision sources that entails."

It may be too early, but can you please comment on whether or not the Panasonic DP-UB820 suffers from the same issues?

Thanks

It won't get the Dolby update until the fall. When it does, I seriously doubt it will have this issue like the Sony and initial ATV update.

@Giak

If you are going to start an owner's thread, please provide the specs, etc like the other owner's threads:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...rice-talk.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...rice-talk.html

S~

ack_bk 07-18-2018 05:43 PM

After reading extensively about this player I took the plunge and sold my Oppo 203 and pre-ordered the UB820 via VE. I have always been a fan of Panasonic Blu-Ray players and really think this player will be a great fit with my JVC E-Shift projector. Should give the Oppo a run for the money.

Will report back after I get my player. I had the Oppo since December 2016 so I have a lot of hands on exeperience with the player and different PQ settings and options.

Tachy 07-18-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_bk (Post 56509694)
After reading extensively about this player I took the plunge and sold my Oppo 203 and pre-ordered the UB820 via VE. I have always been a fan of Panasonic Blu-Ray players and really think this player will be a great fit with my JVC E-Shift projector. Should give the Oppo a run for the money.

Will report back after I get my player. I had the Oppo since December 2016 so I have a lot of hands on exeperience with the player and different PQ settings and options.

The Oppo is a very good unit. What about this player caused you to decide to trade it in? I have a 103 and love it. The 203 reportedly finally got its DV firmware upgrade and now you have to wait for one again.

Just curious. Since the 203 is no longer being made.....I will probably upgrade to the Panasonic 820 or 9000 at some point in the not too distant future.

ack_bk 07-19-2018 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachy (Post 56509896)
The Oppo is a very good unit. What about this player caused you to decide to trade it in? I have a 103 and love it. The 203 reportedly finally got its DV firmware upgrade and now you have to wait for one again.

Just curious. Since the 203 is no longer being made.....I will probably upgrade to the Panasonic 820 or 9000 at some point in the not too distant future.

DV is of no concern for me right now since I have a projector and will continue to use projectors for many, many, years. I doubt any projectors will truly meet DV requirements for many years to come, and when they do, they will likely be well out of my price range.

I loved the Oppo. When I bought it (Dec 2016) the only other player on the market I would consider was the Panasonic UB900 which cost more than the Oppo and seemed to have less features. I was using an Xbox S but wanted a dedicated player that had good 4K playback options and solid upscaling. The Oppo fit the bill. I have used it since mid December 2016 and enjoyed it, but I really don't use it for SACD or network streaming. So, essentially, 4K/UHD and 1080p Blu-Ray is about all I am using it for. When you look at what used Oppo 203's are selling for and the fact that Oppo is leaving the market I decided to sell the player, buy an 820 (which should equal if not best the Oppo for 4K/Blu-Ray playback) and use the rest of the Oppo money for some other home theater upgrades.

I like the Oppo, but in all honesty, I just was not using all the bells and whistles and I really like what Panasonic is doing with their 4K players and the fact that they will continue to make new product. Seemed like the best time for me to make a move.

Erod 07-19-2018 06:49 AM

I won't be excited about this player until I hear confirmation that the dynamic HDR Optimizer works with a JVC projector on both the low and high end when a disc has HDR10+ or Dolby Vision capability. I've heard this is an issue.

Projectors can't do HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, so there's no added value to the 820 versus the 900 (which I have and like very much) other than dynamic tone mapping of the underlying HDR10 layer.

Evan201 07-19-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 56511338)
I won't be excited about this player until I hear confirmation that the dynamic HDR Optimizer works with a JVC projector on both the low and high end when a disc has HDR10+ or Dolby Vision capability. I've heard this is an issue.

Projectors can't do HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, so there's no added value to the 820 versus the 900 (which I have and like very much) other than dynamic tone mapping of the underlying HDR10 layer.

Someone on Blu-Ray.com told me that they were able to turn HDR optimizer on while using their projector and were able to max out contrast setting without having any clipping. Wouldn't this be a big benefit to dim HDR picture projectors produce?

I'd really like to see some screen shots of someone that has a projector and the UB820 with optimizer on ASAP. The results of the optimizer look amazing with HDR10 4000 nit movies. The thread in on blu-ray.com has a couple screen shots showing how effective the roll off is without altering the color or brightness of the rest of the scene. Cant wait for mine from Robert at Valueelectronics. Nice intro price of $500 from them. I've seen another site offering pre-orders at $600.

Larry Little 07-19-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret Wood (Post 56506010)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Garcia (Post 56506258)
The update will be on fall.

I thought about this player even though I have the Oppo 203.

I do own the Panasonic UB900. It does have some very nice features, but the disc mechanism seems very clunky compared to the smoothness of the Oppo. How is disk handling in the UB820? Is it smooth, noisy, cumbersome, etc?

Regarding the promised DV update, I learned my lesson with the Oppo and Sony DV upgraded sets. I will never, ever, again buy something or believe a future update until it actually occurs. It is beyond my comprehension why this player, which has been in development for some time, and with Panasonic having to be familiar with the Sony DV and Oppo debacle, wasn't released with full DV functionality. That alone completely turns me off to this machine and makes me very wary. If I'm wrong, please educate me. Thanks.

beastaudio 07-19-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 56511338)

This is different from the HDR slider we have now on the 900 correct? the tone mapping would be a good step up from that no?

Erod 07-19-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastaudio (Post 56513514)
This is different from the HDR slider we have now on the 900 correct? the tone mapping would be a good step up from that no?

If it works for us, it would be a nice addition, yes. This would allow the player to adjust the HDR in real time to account for especially bright or dark scenes that clipping doesn't occur on either end of the spectrum. More detail in bright and dark scenes. This is different than the dynamic range slider we use right now with the ub900.

However, I've read posts that said it doesn't work well with projectors, or perhaps only on bright scenes only. I'm look for verification on this before I consider buying.

beastaudio 07-19-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 56513570)
If it works for us, it would be a nice addition, yes. This would allow the player to adjust the HDR in real time to account for especially bright or dark scenes that clipping doesn't occur on either end of the spectrum. More detail in bright and dark scenes. This is different than the dynamic range slider we use right now with the ub900.

However, I've read posts that said it doesn't work well with projectors, or perhaps only on bright scenes only. I'm look for verification on this before I consider buying.

I was under the impression that the tone mapping on the oppo was one of its much better features vs. the ub900, which had it's own pro obviously, but the tone mapping was one area the oppo actually had it beat.

Erod 07-19-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastaudio (Post 56513604)
I was under the impression that the tone mapping on the oppo was one of its much better features vs. the ub900, which had it's own pro obviously, but the tone mapping was one area the oppo actually had it beat.

My JVC is dialed in beautifully with my ub900 by Chad B (with two gamma settings to choose from), but the tone mapping is static as such. Perhaps out of the box, the Oppo is better, but not once it's well calibrated.

The ub820 would make it dynamic by scene, which would be extra cool. I think.

I'm not going to buy it if I hear a big "meh" over the Optimizer. My ub900 throws a beautiful HDR image with my JVC rs620.

Evan201 07-19-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 56513720)
My JVC is dialed in beautifully with my ub900 by Chad B (with two gamma settings to choose from), but the tone mapping is static as such. Perhaps out of the box, the Oppo is better, but not once it's well calibrated.

I'm not going to buy it if I hear a big "meh" over the Optimizer. My ub900 throws a beautiful HDR image with my JVC rs620.

Do you even utilize the HDR slider since your PJ gamma was calibrated? I just sold my Phillips BDP7501 and pre-ordered the UB820. I'm expecting a world of difference with my Epson 5040ub due to never having had the HDR slider option before, never having and optimizer tone mapped at the source before, and never owned the premium Panasonic BD players before.

Think I will see a big difference?

ack_bk 07-19-2018 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 56513570)

There are different settings in the 820/9000 for HDR Optimizer from the demo YouTube videos out there. One of the settings specifically targets projectors. From initial impressions this should work unless your projector is just very poor at HDR or has a very dim bulb. I will see if I can post a screen shot.

Charles Garcia 07-19-2018 03:40 PM

I just ordered mine from VE. Do you think this device will be worth it with my samsung q9fn 2018?

ack_bk 07-19-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Garcia (Post 56514176)
I just ordered mine from VE. Do you think this device will be worth it with my samsung q9fn 2018?

Yes your TV has very good brightness for HDR and good contrast. This player should be a great match.

Charles Garcia 07-19-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_bk (Post 56514216)
Yes your TV has very good brightness for HDR and good contrast. This player should be a great match.

That’s good to hear. My current player is bottle necking the capabilities of my TV that’s why I decided to get this one.

ack_bk 07-19-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Garcia (Post 56514234)
That’s good to hear. My current player is bottle necking the capabilities of my TV that’s why I decided to get this one.

What player do you have and what issues?

Charles Garcia 07-19-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_bk (Post 56514244)
What player do you have and what issues?

It’s the samsung m8500. I have tried my friend’s ub900 and i can tell the diff when it comes to picture quality in general. Also the audio bec m8500 has only 1 hdmi output port.

ack_bk 07-19-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Garcia (Post 56514260)
It’s the samsung m8500. I have tried my friend’s ub900 and i can tell the diff when it comes to picture quality in general. Also the audio bec m8500 has only 1 hdmi output port.

Ah yes. I had the 8500 for 24 hours and returned it. At the time there were issues with color accuracy and I thought even the Xbox S had a better picture. I would expect the 820 to be as good or better than thevUB900.

Erod 07-19-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan201 (Post 56514154)
Quote:

Do you even utilize the HDR slider since your PJ gamma was calibrated? I just sold my Phillips BDP7501 and pre-ordered the UB820. I'm expecting a world of difference with my Epson 5040ub due to never having had the HDR slider option before, never having and optimizer tone mapped at the source before, and never owned the premium Panasonic BD players before.

Yes, I use it at +6 so I don't have to use high lamp power on my projector.

If your projector is calibrated, the dynamic range slider makes a huge difference in the ub900, but it's static for tone mapping. The 820 supposedly allows it to be scene specific, which is intriguing if executed well for projectors.

farsider3000 07-19-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

I love my UB900 with my JVC X570/RS420. I am really puzzled by the fact that it seems that Panasonic may not bring the new series to the USA. Have you heard any confirmation on whether it will be distributed here?

With Oppo out of the picture it's Panasonics market to take, in my opinion.

Giak 07-20-2018 04:31 AM

Answering to Garrett and Blafarm, no DV isn't active yet. On Netflix, DV content is recognized as normal HDR. So, it is impossible any test so far. A coming soon firmware update will introduce Dolby Vision on this player.

Nima 07-20-2018 05:22 AM

I have a UB820 and an Epson LS10000 (with a HP 2.8 screen) and do SDR/BT2020. I find that the middle luminance setting (1000 nits) gives me more "punch in colors" and detail than the basic lcd/projector setting (500) nits. Coming from the UB700, I can say that the improvement from the HDR Optimizer is definitely noticable.

zombie10k 07-20-2018 07:11 AM

I recently ordered the UB820. I currently have the UB900 and Oppo 203. My HT is a 100% blacked out velvet room, 142" 16:9 2.8HP + JVC RS600.

I have calibration equipment and one of the first to confirm the Oppo tone mapping was stuck at R709. UB900 SDR/BT2020 did not have the same issues but the single slider was limited.

I'm looking forward to comparing the more advanced features when it arrives and will post feedback in this thread.

atabea 07-20-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nima (Post 56516106)
I have a UB820 and an Epson LS10000 (with a HP 2.8 screen) and do SDR/BT2020. I find that the middle luminance setting (1000 nits) gives me more "punch in colors" and detail than the basic lcd/projector setting (500) nits. Coming from the UB700, I can say that the improvement from the HDR Optimizer is definitely noticable.

If you have any tools to measure, can you please measure the BT2020 color gamut while in the HDR optimizer (dynamic tone mapping) mode and confirm that it is, indeed, meeting this standard?

Nima 07-20-2018 07:46 AM

Sorry no measuring equipment here but my Epson was professionally calibrated to BT2020 and I could not see a difference between the UB700 SDR/BT2020 and the UB820 SDR/BT2020. On the contrary what was shown in the video with the white pixels brightening the colors without HDR Optimizer seems to be true. Colors seem to look better with Optimizer engaged.

@zombie10k I am looking forward to your results. :)

Found the video which I was referencing above:

monkaquinas 07-20-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan201 (Post 56514154)

Can't wait to see a post on how the pair together. I have a 5040 as well and I'm dying to pull the trigger... if this will make the most of the projector's limitations.

Erod 07-20-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farsider3000 (Post 56514882)
I love my UB900 with my JVC X570/RS420. I am really puzzled by the fact that it seems that Panasonic may not bring the new series to the USA. Have you heard any confirmation on whether it will be distributed here?

With Oppo out of the picture it's Panasonics market to take, in my opinion.

It's my understanding that Best Buy will be offering it soon.

beastaudio 07-20-2018 08:32 AM

Quote:

Oh you fancy with that ChadB cal!! I've been tempted too many times to have him come through and hook me up. I really outa get on that... after I change out screens.

Erod 07-20-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastaudio (Post 56517102)
Quote:

Oh you fancy with that ChadB cal!! I've been tempted too many times to have him come through and hook me up. I really outa get on that... after I change out screens.

I highly recommend it. Game changer.

SUperEd007 07-21-2018 12:25 AM

Has anyone had a chance to compare the ubd900 vs the 820..the pq shouldn't be that different..curious if the 820 pq is any better because the 900 rocks ..

farsider3000 07-21-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUperEd007 (Post 56521084)
Has anyone had a chance to compare the ubd900 vs the 820..the pq shouldn't be that different..curious if the 820 pq is any better because the 900 rocks ..

I think we are at the point of diminishing returns. I am very happy with my UB900 as well.

The only thing I wonder about is whether the UB900 can support Dolby Vision and HDR 10+ with a firmware update. Does anyone know?

The UB820 will support HDR 10+ (I think I read that) and then will get a Dolby Vision firmware update.

Erod 07-21-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUperEd007 (Post 56521084)

I suspect the picture quality will be the same. However, if your display accepts HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, the 820 is an obvious choice to purchase in my mind.

However, for us projector folks, it's more iffy. The dynamic HDR Optimizer sounds cool, but will it make a truly noticeable difference? I'm not so sure. I hope so.

bronxkid 07-21-2018 05:21 PM

I went ahead and ordered the 820. I have a projector so probably could have gotten the 900 but I'm hoping the HDR options can help. If not at least it should (hopefully) be now worse than the 900. Can't wait for it to arrive! I'm surprised with the upcoming arrival there's still no page on the panasonic's US sales website.

ack_bk 07-22-2018 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronxkid (Post 56523958)
I went ahead and ordered the 820. I have a projector so probably could have gotten the 900 but I'm hoping the HDR options can help. If not at least it should (hopefully) be now worse than the 900. Can't wait for it to arrive! I'm surprised with the upcoming arrival there's still no page on the panasonic's US sales website.

I debated saving the $100 and getting the 900 as well, but in the end thought the 820 might be worth it. If I already owned a 900 I'm not sure it would be worth the upgrade price.

Evan201 07-22-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkaquinas (Post 56516812)
Can't wait to see a post on how the pair together. I have a 5040 as well and I'm dying to pull the trigger... if this will make the most of the projector's limitations.

I'll be updating with screen shots right after Robert at valueelectronics sends me the goods. Should be shipping out from NY to LA on July 27 according to Robert. They have a great price on it too.

Lithium 07-22-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan201 (Post 56527040)
I'll be updating with screen shots right after Robert at valueelectronics sends me the goods. Should be shipping out from NY to LA on July 27 according to Robert. They have a great price on it too.

I'm on the fence, but leaning very close to ordering this to see how it plays with the Epson 5040. I'm pretty happy with HarperVision but I'm wondering if I can ditch all the complexities and run a basic non-gamma altered HDR picture mode again. I'm just worried the optimizer is being marketed up as a silver bullet for projectors and that the actual results might disappoint.

Evan201 07-22-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithium (Post 56527114)
I'm on the fence, but leaning very close to ordering this to see how it plays with the Epson 5040. I'm pretty happy with HarperVision but I'm wondering if I can ditch all the complexities and run a basic non-gamma altered HDR picture mode again. I'm just worried the optimizer is being marketed up as a silver bullet for projectors and that the actual results might disappoint.

From what I hear the results on really bright tv's like the Z9D are less impressive than dim displays under 1000nits or lower like projectors.

The OLED and Super Bright settings on the optimizer are for 1000nit and 1500nit roll off. If your display gets brighter than that or right there, you're not going to see the difference, but for something like an OLED maxing at around 800 nits or a projector which we all know is ungodly dim in comparison to panels, you will see a noticeable uptick in quality due to the metadata roll off occurring at the source and a stable hdr signal being sent to your less than optimal HDR display.

Some in the UK and elsewhere are already reporting great noticeable results for OLED's and projectors. I can't wait! Wish someone would throw up a bunch of screen shots.

Lithium 07-22-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan201 (Post 56527142)
From what I hear the results on really bright tv's like the Z9D are less impressive than dim displays under 1000nits or lower like projectors.

The OLED and Super Bright settings on the optimizer are for 1000nit and 1500nit roll off. If your display gets brighter than that or right there, you're not going to see the difference, but for something like an OLED maxing at around 800 nits or a projector which we all know is ungodly dim in comparison to panels, you will see a noticeable uptick in quality due to the metadata roll off occurring at the source and a stable hdr signal being sent to your less than optimal HDR display.

Some in the UK and elsewhere are already reporting great noticeable results for OLED's and projectors. I can't wait! Wish someone would throw up a bunch of screen shots.

Yeah, I've been trying to keep up with informative threads about this player and have read much of the same. Also, with a projector I would hope the optimizer makes it easy to have a single definitive HDR calibration that can be used as reference for all media. I've seen people doing separate calibrations depending on how the media was mastered (ie 1000, 5000, 10000 nits).

Evan201 07-22-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithium (Post 56527700)
Yeah, I've been trying to keep up with informative threads about this player and have read much of the same. Also, with a projector I would hope the optimizer makes it easy to have a single definitive HDR calibration that can be used as reference for all media. I've seen people doing separate calibrations depending on how the media was mastered (ie 1000, 5000, 10000 nits).

Yea. Took me a year of non professional fiddling until I found a good bright HDR setting for all content that was acceptable. Partly because of all the firmware updates changing things on us.

Charles Garcia 07-22-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan201 (Post 56527040)

I guess they cab’t ship it on the 23rd like they have stated on the website?

atabea 07-22-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_bk (Post 56525258)
I debated saving the $100 and getting the 900 as well, but in the end thought the 820 might be worth it. If I already owned a 900 I'm not sure it would be worth the upgrade price.

The (HDR) conversion in the 900 is static whereas the Tone Mapping in the 820 is Dynamic so, theoretically at least, the 820 should be superior in that regard---and therefor worth the $100 difference. Can't wait for Zombie to get his hands on one for testing.

Evan201 07-22-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Garcia (Post 56528042)

https://s8.postimg.cc/qsgln3i05/Scre...8.11.54_PM.png

SUperEd007 07-22-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atabea (Post 56528290)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_bk (Post 56525258)

The (HDR) conversion in the 900 is static whereas the Tone Mapping in the 820 is Dynamic so, theoretically at least, the 820 should be superior in that regard---and therefor worth the $100 difference. Can't wait for Zombie to get his hands on one for testing.

Wait !what does that mean,? so if I pop in a 4k hdr movie on a 4k player on the 820 or 900 wouldn't the pq be the same or close enough

ack_bk 07-23-2018 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUperEd007 (Post 56528630)
Wait !what does that mean,? so if I pop in a 4k hdr movie on a 4k player on the 820 or 900 wouldn't the pq be the same or close enough

He is saying that for HDR the 820, on paper, has the advantage. For non-HDR movies I would suspect the PQ would be very close. If you already own a 900 I would wait and see real world results. If you need a player and HDR matters to you the extra $100 to buy the 820 is likely worth it.

Mr.G 07-23-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Garcia (Post 56528042)

While I share your disappointment VE initially said the UB820 was shipping the week of the 23rd - not on the 23rd. Now as pointed out by Evan201 the website specifically states that shipment begins Friday, July 27th.

gadgtfreek 07-23-2018 08:49 AM

Ordered mine:

Description Unit price Qty Amount
Panasonic UB820 4K HDR BD player
Item# UB820 XXX USD 1 XXX USD
Subtotal XXX USD
Total XXX USD
Payment sent to [email protected]*********************

Bob Pariseau 07-23-2018 09:06 AM

^ $30 is a good price.
:D
--Bob

ack_bk 07-23-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau (Post 56530210)
^ $30 is a good price.
:D
--Bob

Put me in for two :)

I did notice VE updated their website on dates. According to Google Maps VE is just under 2 hours from my house.. So tempting to drive up there and pick mine up vs shipping :)

But I have too many items on my honey do list to lose 4 hours this weekend..

Still I hope to have mine Monday..

Evan201 07-24-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkaquinas (Post 56516812)

Robert from value electronics tested the disable 60hz function with the epson 5040. works fine for 4k 24hz 12 Bit BT2020 4:2:2 which is the maximum the epson can handle. Having him see if H.265 test patterns can play through the USB ports. The rear USB is 3.0 and the front USB on the 820 is USB 2.0 just an FYI. I'm curious about the USB H.265 playback because I have R. Masciola HDR patterns I'd like to run through for new calibration with the HDR optimizer and sliders.

Lithium 07-24-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan201 (Post 56536706)
Robert from value electronics tested the disable 60hz function with the epson 5040. works fine for 4k 24hz 12 Bit BT2020 4:2:2 which is the maximum the epson can handle. Having him see if H.265 test patterns can play through the USB ports. The rear USB is 3.0 and the front USB on the 820 is USB 2.0 just an FYI. I'm curious about the USB H.265 playback because I have R. Masciola HDR patterns I'd like to run through for new calibration with the HDR optimizer and sliders.

If possible, should also try and confirm if Netflix HDR (and any other streaming apps available) work correctly at 4k 24hz 12-bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gadgtfreek 07-24-2018 11:31 AM

I'd be curious, up to this point Netflix and Amazon have been 60hz output on Panny players...

Evan201 07-24-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithium (Post 56536758)
If possible, should also try and confirm if Netflix HDR (and any other streaming apps available) work correctly at 4k 24hz 12-bit.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Netflix HDR is delivering 60hz refresh rate. Vudu and Amazon HDR are 24hz. At least on my shield it seems this way.

On my Nvidia Shield with Epson I can get HDR from all of them, but for Netflix I have to set 1080p 60hz 12 Bit BT2020 4:2:2 to get it. I'm fine with that since there is really no difference on my 105" screen between the 4k resolution and 1080p with pixel shift.

gadgtfreek 07-24-2018 11:37 AM

This is device specific, let's not get it confused.

Netflix and Amazon can vary from 24hz, 50, 60hz depending on the content. If you have a device (Like the shield) that only outputs Netflix at 60hz, its the device flaw, now how Netflix is set.

BuGsArEtAsTy 07-24-2018 11:37 AM

Anyone have any comments about the interface? I need a second UHD player, but I'm not a huge fan of the interface on my current UB400.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 56536828)

Netflix and Amazon can vary from 24hz, 50, 60hz depending on the content. If you have a device (Like the shield) that only outputs Netflix at 60hz, its the device flaw, now how Netflix is set.

Indeed. I was running the test videos on Netflix and when I tried one video there were all sorts of weird artifacts for the 4K video. It turns out it was because I was playing back the 50 Hz video on a 60 Hz. TV. Once I switched to the 60 Hz version, all was good.

Evan201 07-24-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 56536828)

Ah thanks. That would explain getting some HDR stuff but not all HDR stuff when set to 1080p 60hz on shield. I think the Luke Cage worked and some others offered in HDR weren't working. Annoying, but whatever.

gadgtfreek 07-24-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan201 (Post 56536848)
Ah thanks. That would explain getting some HDR stuff but not all HDR stuff when set to 1080p 60hz on shield. I think the Luke Cage worked and some others offered in HDR weren't working. Annoying, but whatever.

Yeah, it is a PITA apps dont work consistently.

Sony players output Netflix and Amazon in 24hz or 60hz
The ATV has show me 24, 50 and 60hz
Panny players that I have used for streaming Amazon and Netflix lately only output 60hz
I also have the new Dune Pro 4K, it only outputs Netflix as 60hz as well

They should all act like the ATV4K and output the framerate and dynamic range of the source, not what they feel like.

Evan201 07-24-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 56536866)
Yeah, it is a PITA apps dont work consistently.

Sony players output Netflix and Amazon in 24hz or 60hz
The ATV has show me 24, 50 and 60hz
Panny players that I have used for streaming Amazon and Netflix lately only output 60hz
I also have the new Dune Pro 4K, it only outputs Netflix as 60hz as well

They should all act like the ATV4K and output the framerate and dynamic range of the source, not what they feel like.

Can I ask why you chose Sony OLED over LG? Just curious. In the market soon. I mostly care about punchy brightness in HDR. I know Sony may have better processors for sure. The X1 Ultimate chips should probably win out in 2019. Thinking of an OLED as a bedroom tv dedicated to HDR discs. My epson is currently the main living room display.

gadgtfreek 07-24-2018 12:00 PM

Better processing of poor sources and better motion handling (I use Motionflow for slight dejudder, and its better than trumotion). I owned a 9500 and E6, I love my Sonys. Chad cal'd my A8F recently, and Ready Player One looks great in UHD Blu.

The new LG's will get brighter than the Sonys in HDR, but that's like 4-6 hours a week for me, the majority of my regular tv viewing still takes the cake, and I feel the Sony is better. Plus it's not like the Sonys "suck" with HDR.

Lithium 07-24-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan201 (Post 56536848)

Yeah, this makes sense. I was able to get Netflix 4k 24hz HDR 12-bit on the Samsung K8500, so I think it is able to convert it all to 24hz.

Skylinestar 07-24-2018 10:21 PM

Can the Panasonic apply a black mask at the top and bottom of a video screen so that variable 16:9-2.40 movies (example The Dark Knight) can be displayed permanently at scope 2.40?

Nordvarg 07-25-2018 07:42 AM

Can someone check if this player bitstream Dolby and DTS from a network source?

I have a NAS with a lot if movies and series (MKV), all 1080p for now, but with Dolby True HD or DTS Master audio soundtrack, and I see that the Panasonic 420/820 supports DLNA and MKV. But can it bitstream Dolby or DTS??

gadgtfreek 07-25-2018 11:33 AM

Got this from VE earlier:

"Thank you for placing your order with us for Panasonic’s new UB820 Blu-ray player! Your order is anticipated to ship Monday, July 30. You will get an email with your tracking information when it ships. "

giomania 07-25-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordvarg (Post 56541330)
Can someone check if this player bitstream Dolby and DTS from a network source?

I have a NAS with a lot if movies and series (MKV), all 1080p for now, but with Dolby True HD or DTS Master audio soundtrack, and I see that the Panasonic 420/820 supports DLNA and MKV. But can it bitstream Dolby or DTS??

Panasonic players don’t support that:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...yer-list.html#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

annisman 07-25-2018 05:21 PM

Just pulled the trigger on an 820, I'm guessing I should see quite a bit of a PQ upgrade over my faithful Samsung 7500. Does anybody know if the LG B6 has HDR+ ?

gadgtfreek 07-25-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annisman (Post 56544560)
Just pulled the trigger on an 820, I'm guessing I should see quite a bit of a PQ upgrade over my faithful Samsung 7500. Does anybody know if the LG B6 has HDR+ ?

It does not.

Mr.G 07-26-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 56542672)
Got this from VE earlier:

"Thank you for placing your order with us for Panasonic’s new UB820 Blu-ray player! Your order is anticipated to ship Monday, July 30. You will get an email with your tracking information when it ships. "

Yep, same email. They must have quite a lot of players to ship. ;)

But then again they sell many more things than just Blu-ray players.

BuGsArEtAsTy 07-26-2018 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
MSRP of the DP-UB820 in Canada is CAD$499.99. That's a decent MSRP.

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consume.../dp-ub820.html

rwestley 07-27-2018 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.G (Post 56548062)
Yep, same email. They must have quite a lot of players to ship. ;)

But then again they sell many more things than just Blu-ray players.

On another forum it has been reported by Robert of Value Electronics that they were released from customs and V.E. will have them on Monday. He stated that if they arrive early enough they will go out Monday if not the latest they will go out is on Tuesday. VE is all prepared with the second box and labels ready. Hopefully we will get them very soon.

neo_2009 07-27-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giomania (Post 56543670)
Panasonic players don’t support that:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...yer-list.html#

This is going to take away lots off users, its a shame that Panasonic is not able to implement this feature :(

william06 07-27-2018 12:20 PM

Called to check if there were still openings for the first allocation (spoke to Robert great guy) and there were so I joined the club need it like a hole in the head but joined the club looking forward to it.

annisman 07-27-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by william06 (Post 56552984)
Called to check if there were still openings for the first allocation (spoke to Robert great guy) and there were so I joined the club need it like a hole in the head but joined the club looking forward to it.

LOL same boat man !

Clark Burk 07-27-2018 03:32 PM

Can’t go wrong dealing with Robert. Class act all the way. Wish all dealers were like him.

Charles Garcia 07-27-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy (Post 56549214)
MSRP of the DP-UB820 in Canada is CAD$499.99. That's a decent MSRP.

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consume.../dp-ub820.html

Damn. I am going to toronto next week. But I already paid for it here in the US.

Anfinn Berland 07-27-2018 04:06 PM

Is the Panasonic 820 compatible with sony dolby vision and does it turn on/off Dolby vision automaticaly? I have the sony x700 that do dolby vision with my sony zd9 but i hate to have to turn dolby vision on and off manualy on the x700.

rwestley 07-27-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anfinn Berland (Post 56553970)
Is the Panasonic 820 compatible with sony dolby vision and does it turn on/off Dolby vision automaticaly? I have the sony x700 that do dolby vision with my sony zd9 but i hate to have to turn dolby vision on and off manualy on the x700.

Panasonic claims that it will update sometimes in the fall to the latest version of Dolby Vision that should work with the Sony.

william06 07-27-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anfinn Berland (Post 56553970)

Not sure if it is shipping with Dolby Vision but shortly after release it is supposed to receive an update. I believe I read somewhere that it. Is supposed to be compatible with all tvs. I also have the X700 and really like it but the on off dv thing is annoying after awhile but I still might keep it not sure.

BuGsArEtAsTy 07-27-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Garcia (Post 56553924)
Damn. I am going to toronto next week. But I already paid for it here in the US.

Probably wouldn't have mattered. I don't think anyone up here has any stock, not even the Panasonic Canada eStore. While the eStore has that CAD$499.99 pricing now, there is no link to buy yet.

I guess that makes sense, as even Value Electronics in the US doesn't have any stock in hand yet either. Earliest is next week.

Clark Burk 07-27-2018 04:45 PM

I guess that depends on how close to fall one considers the dates. ^^ two up

ricwhite 07-27-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan201 (Post 56536706)

The new Epson projectors coming out this year are 60hz capable.

https://translate.google.com/transla...0/&prev=search

New24K 07-27-2018 07:35 PM

Can someone tell me what the UB820 will have that the UB900 doesn't? DV?

And vice-versa? :D

ricwhite 07-28-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New24K (Post 56554786)
Can someone tell me what the UB820 will have that the UB900 doesn't? DV?

And vice-versa? :D

I believe the UB820 supports a new HDR10+ HDR profile and Dolby Vision. It also supports voice control with things like Alexa and Google assistant. It is also supposed to have onboard 4k/HDR onboard streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube.

I don't have either player. I have an Oppo, so I'm going by what I read.

brusteraider 07-28-2018 01:37 PM

In stock shipping now on VE website

SUperEd007 07-28-2018 02:23 PM

Is pq better than 900

airborn007 07-30-2018 06:58 AM

I would love to buy this player now but not until DV is added.

william06 07-30-2018 07:10 AM

I had the same feeling but went ahead anyway i have a backup (Sony’s X700) just hope that they don’t pull the same stuff Sony did have to engage Dolby Vision on and off manually.

gadgtfreek 07-30-2018 11:16 AM

Scheduled delivery:
Thu, 8/2/2018 by end of day

annisman 07-30-2018 11:58 AM

Scheduled delivery wed !

PeterK 07-30-2018 12:50 PM

Ordered Friday evening and shipping today! 😎

monkaquinas 07-30-2018 01:08 PM

Dang hole in the head!!! I'm in the same boat now...the more the merrier.:D

william06 07-30-2018 01:17 PM

Schedule delivery tues 7/31

ack_bk 07-30-2018 01:24 PM

Mine is scheduled for delivery by the end of the day tomorrow.

farsider3000 07-30-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricwhite (Post 56556030)
I believe the UB820 supports a new HDR10+ HDR profile and Dolby Vision. It also supports voice control with things like Alexa and Google assistant. It is also supposed to have onboard 4k/HDR onboard streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube.

I don't have either player. I have an Oppo, so I'm going by what I read.

I wonder if the sharpness and other image controls will be available for Netflix etc? That would be a nice feature.... but...
Panasonic has the worst GUI for selection of apps. If they have not changed this, the app features would be less compelling for me.

farsider3000 07-30-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUperEd007 (Post 56557544)
Is pq better than 900

I have the 900 now and I doubt there is much, if any improvement except for the ability to handle HDR10+ and Dolby vision (future). If I am wrong I will definitely buy the 820.

gadgtfreek 07-30-2018 03:49 PM

The HDR optimizer with internal tone mapping is the biggest deal imo. It has been shown to increase high nit details on displays that may not display them all, without dimming the rest of the image. Will be great for Oled owners.

litster 07-30-2018 04:02 PM

Look forward to reading you first wave owners' reviews :D