AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Sanyo FWBP807FP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2992518-sanyo-fwbp807fp.html)

BuGsArEtAsTy 07-25-2018 01:28 PM

Sanyo FWBP807FP

I can't find any thread on this Sanyo FWBP807FP player, so I thought I'd start one myself. Hopefully I haven't missed the thread. Here is the Sanyo USA page:

http://www.sanyo-av.com/us/product/product.php?id=588

Features
4K Ultra HD performance
4K Upscaling
Enhanced Accessibility

Video Playback
Playback Media: Playback Media: 4K UHD, BD Video, BD-R/RE 2.0, DVD-Video, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, CD-DA, CD-R/-RW, USB
Video disc playback system: NTSC
Video Enhancement: Progressive Scan, Video Upscaling,
BT.2020 / BT.709, HDR -> SDR Convert, HDR10, Deep Color
BD Region: A
DVD Region: 1

Sound
Sound System: DTS 2.0 + Digital out, Dolby Audio

Multimedia Applications
Playback Formats: JPEG, PNG, GIF Still pictures, WAV, FLAC, Vorbis, AIFF, Monkey's Audio
Playback Media: BD, CD, DVD, USB, CD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW
Picture Enhancement: High Definition Resolution, Rotate, Slideshow

Convenience
Simple Remote Control
Trilingual On-Screen Display (English / Spanish / French)
Parental Lock
fun-Link: HDMI CEC
Owner's Manual on the web (English / Spanish / French)
Connectivity
Front Connection: USB
Rear Connections: HDMI Out, Ethernet

Power
Power Supply: 120V, 60Hz

Weight & Dimensions
Product Dimension (W x H x D): 10.3 x 2.0 x 8.2 (inch) 260 x 51 x 207 (mm)
Product Weight: 2.9lbs (1.3kg)
Packaging (W x H x D): 13.2 x 4.6 x 11.3 (inch) (335 x 115 x 287 mm)
Gross Weight: 4lbs (1.8kg)

Accessories
Included accessories: Remote Control, Quick start guide
Accessories on the web: Owner's Manual, Quick Start Guide

---

It seems to only be sold at Walmart. Sanyo's webpage links directly to Walmart. No price is given however. There is no Sanyo Canada page I can find for this, but Walmart Canada has a price for it. Does that count as MSRP? I won't post the price, but suffice it to say it's a very low price.

Who makes this? I presume it is not Panasonic but likely Funai instead, but I'm just guessing.

BuGsArEtAsTy 07-25-2018 02:24 PM

Here we go, a video from the manufacturer:

It's made by Funai, and the above is a support video. Very low production value to that video BTW. I thought it was some random YouTuber at home, but it's actually from Funai Service Corporation.

Electone 09-03-2018 12:21 PM

I just ordered one of these from Walmart Canada. Will share my thoughts when it arrives.

Electone 09-07-2018 10:14 AM

Initial impressions

I've had the player for a couple of days now. I ordered Close Encounters & Blade Runner on 4KBD but they have't arrived yet. In the meantime, I picked up Atomic Blonde and Blue Planet II 4KBDs to test it out.

The player itself is a tiny, cheap little thing with only two buttons on the front panel - power and eject. The remote is minuscule - a prime candidate for getting lost in no time and that will render the player useless. No AV outputs other than an HDMI port. Also has an ethernet port but no wifi. I connected the player to my 4K tv with a 18gbps cable.

The setup is pretty self-explanatory and you will be up and running in no time. The player immediately updated the firmware after the internet connection was established.

Picture quality is excellent. My TV immediately recognized HDR content and switches to the HDR setting. The player upscales standard Blu-ray and DVD without any issues.

Electone 09-10-2018 11:45 AM

From what I have researched online, the Sanyo FWBP807FP is identical/similar to these models also manufactured by Funai:

Phillips BDP5502/F7
Magnavox MBP6700P

It seems the Sanyo is sold at Walmart whereas the Phillips is a Best Buy product and the Magnavox can be found on Amazon.

mefan101 10-06-2018 12:02 PM

Does this player have HDR support? My TCL 49S405 supports HDR10.

ozziesironmanoffroad 11-17-2018 11:02 AM

I have one... it doesn't seem to handle 4K properly. lots of judder.

i'm going to try to update the firmware tonight, and if that doesn't work its going back to amazon.

Electone 04-24-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad (Post 57122046)
I have one... it doesn't seem to handle 4K properly. lots of judder.

i'm going to try to update the firmware tonight, and if that doesn't work its going back to amazon.

I have no issues with 4K judder into my TCL 756R615. But, I plan to upgrade to a player with Dolby Vision when they go on sale.