Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 411Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 621 Old 04-10-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisgroot View Post
I’m going to get the pioneer but I’m
Sure will be better then my first gen Samsung uhd player

Is there proof anywhere that Panasonic is better for picture quality ?

What has throughts been here with uhd playback?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The HDR Optimizer in the Panasonic is legit but as the name implies it’s only for HDR and the difference isn’t dramatic over the Pioneer or the Oppos especially if you’re display is a TV and not a projector where it’s probably more noticeable.

I have the Pioneer and planned on buying the Panasonic 9000 after having the 820 but like my Pioneer so much that I canceled my preorder of the 9000.

The Pioneer doesn’t get remotely warm and although I haven’t read any complaints about fan noise with the Panasonic 9000 they put a fan in it for a reason and I def heard the fan in the Panasonic 820 although that’s a plastic piece of junk so could have been partly due to that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex_Thai likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
T-smith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 621 Old 04-10-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I really like Panasonic as a brand but I will probably end up getting the Pioneer because of the fan that Panasonic added to both the UB820 and UB9000. I'm sensitive to fan noise (especially tiny high speed fans) and I also have read that the LX500's optical drive is quieter than that in the UB9000. In addition, the fan will probably get louder over time and imagine what will happen if the fan starts to fail.
Fan noise on the 9000? The player is silent. There is no fan. https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...y-vision-alexa

Even on a dodgy unbalanced disc, the 9000, due to heavy drive mechanism, is good at masking that. Not sure on the 500.

Honestly all the layer change issues I've read about here is enough to put me off.

One other benefit of the Pioneer is you can get a multi region blu ray mod for it, like the oppo.
Tex_Thai likes this.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #423 of 621 Old 04-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
The HDR Optimizer in the Panasonic is legit but as the name implies it’s only for HDR and the difference isn’t dramatic over the Pioneer or the Oppos especially if you’re display is a TV and not a projector where it’s probably more noticeable.

I have the Pioneer and planned on buying the Panasonic 9000 after having the 820 but like my Pioneer so much that I canceled my preorder of the 9000.

The Pioneer doesn’t get remotely warm and although I haven’t read any complaints about fan noise with the Panasonic 9000 they put a fan in it for a reason and I def heard the fan in the Panasonic 820 although that’s a plastic piece of junk so could have been partly due to that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That’s great and you’re noticing a difference in picture quality from your old player to the pioneer?

This whole thing about the layer thing if it’s a problem I guess I’ll just return it



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thisisgroot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #424 of 621 Old 04-10-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,674
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Fan noise on the 9000? The player is silent. There is no fan. https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...y-vision-alexa
All the photos I have seen of the UB9000 show a tiny fan... upper left when looking at the back side. And the link/article below has an open top view which clearly shows a fan (and fan power cable) in the upper right corner when looking down at the internals. There is a heat sink near the fan as well, which makes sense.

https://www.techhive.com/article/338...00-review.html

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #425 of 621 Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisgroot View Post
That’s great and you’re noticing a difference in picture quality from your old player to the pioneer?

This whole thing about the layer thing if it’s a problem I guess I’ll just return it



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I had Oppos and the Pioneer PQ is right there with them for UHD. I don’t watch many Blu-ray’s but no complaints.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
T-smith is offline  
post #426 of 621 Old 04-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
All the photos I have seen of the UB9000 show a tiny fan... upper left when looking at the back side. And the link/article below has an open top view which clearly shows a fan (and fan power cable) in the upper right corner when looking down at the internals.

https://www.techhive.com/article/338...00-review.html
Huh, how about that! I didn't realize that. And I've never heard it, even up close.

I would assume then that it may only kick on if you are running the analog side of it. Which I aren't. It is in front of that heat sink - I wonder what that is on?
MOberhardt is offline  
post #427 of 621 Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Fan noise on the 9000? The player is silent. There is no fan. https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...y-vision-alexa



Even on a dodgy unbalanced disc, the 9000, due to heavy drive mechanism, is good at masking that. Not sure on the 500.



Honestly all the layer change issues I've read about here is enough to put me off.



One other benefit of the Pioneer is you can get a multi region blu ray mod for it, like the oppo.


The 9000 absolutely has a fan which is easily seen when looking at the back of the unit. The Panasonic 820 also has a fan and I could hear it from 20 ft away.

Keep in mind the majority of the layer change issues reported in this thread are by the same couple people. I’ve had a few freezes here and there but nothing I’m freaking out about or able to say are related to layer changes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 04-10-2019 at 07:13 PM.
T-smith is offline  
post #428 of 621 Old 04-10-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,674
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^^
I'm guessing the heat sink sits on top of the video processor/cpu. Given the location of the HDMI ports, it is most likely the video circuit board on that end.

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #429 of 621 Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: N. VA
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The 9000's HDR Optimizer sounds impressive in that product review article (https://www.techhive.com/article/338...00-review.html).

It appears they created dynamic HDR processing for standard HDR (which is static and applies a single dynamic range instruction throughout the entire disc):

"HDR Optimizer re-assesses the average brightness level of a scene every 100 milliseconds and dynamically loads the LUT that bests fits the moment."

Isn't that essentially what HDR10+ does? Is the HDR10+ sample rate greater than HDR Optimizer's 10x/sec? From what I've read, there's only a scarce few HDR10+ titles that have been released so far.

I'm a die-hard Pioneer DVD player fan; I've had the 09FD since it was first released and it's an amazing player, and I had planned on getting the LX500, but this could give a deciding advantage to the 9000 if the HDR Optimizer works as advertised. Has anyone seen it, and compared it to the PQ without Optimizer engaged?

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
rider is offline  
post #430 of 621 Old 04-11-2019, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,674
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Something I have not thought about, but do most 4K discs come as HDR or DV ?

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #431 of 621 Old 04-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Something I have not thought about, but do most 4K discs come as HDR or DV ?
All UHD BluRay discs has to support at least HDR10, so in case DV is not supported (player, TV, ..) then the fallback is HDR10.
Trell is offline  
post #432 of 621 Old 04-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I’ve set up the player and remember I’m coming from that Samsung you HD player going through paradigm system I have to say the sound is a huge huge improvement with this player going through the receiver unbelievably sharp

My main issue is I’m playing through a projector is there anything in the settings of the pioneer player that I have to suck for projector mode and to make sure I’m getting the best quality picture for uhd?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex_Thai likes this.
thisisgroot is offline  
post #433 of 621 Old 04-12-2019, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
HiRes_PR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisgroot View Post
I’ve set up the player and remember I’m coming from that Samsung you HD player going through paradigm system I have to say the sound is a huge huge improvement with this player going through the receiver unbelievably sharp

My main issue is I’m playing through a projector is there anything in the settings of the pioneer player that I have to suck for projector mode and to make sure I’m getting the best quality picture for uhd?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the Video P key in the remote:




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HiRes_PR is online now  
post #434 of 621 Old 04-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
Use the Video P key in the remote:




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thank you I fixed it! Also did the update

Now to calibrate the projector


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thisisgroot is offline  
post #435 of 621 Old 04-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Has anyone been able to compare the 1080p bluray upscaling from the LX500 to the UB820? I have no interest in any other options on a player. I will only use it for 1080p blurays and 4k bluray. So Im looking for the player with the best upscaling. I'll be displaying on a 4k tv and a 1080p projector. Thanks

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
Liquid$team is offline  
post #436 of 621 Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So I played the first movies today on the player during one movie infinity war uhd. Player just turned itself off. Has anyone experienced anything close to this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thisisgroot is offline  
post #437 of 621 Old 04-13-2019, 05:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Also what do you guys set your screen for should be set on 21 /9 for projector?

The projector itself has picture settings so is it necessary to adjust the picture settings from with in the player as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thisisgroot is offline  
post #438 of 621 Old 04-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Member
 
tyivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
pioneer lx500 connecting to Denon avr 4500

Help needed.
Just purchased a Pioneer LX500 and connected to Denon avr-4500 via the blu ray input. I cannot get the Denon to pass the HDR signal from the Pioneer player to my LG g6 OLED. I also have an Oppo 4K player connected to the Denon 4500 via the dvd input. The Denon will pass the HDR signal to the LG. I connected the Pioneer 500 directly to the LG TV (by passing the Denon) and the TV is receiving the HDR signal from the Pioneer lx500. I even removed the HDMI cable from the back of the Oppo and put it in the back of the Pioneer lx500 to see if it was an input problem with the Denon and it still didn't pass the HDR to the LG. As stated earlier the Oppo passes the HDR signal thru the Denon w/o issue. Denon Tech was of no help, said it might be cabling. I tried the exact cables that were on the Oppo (which worked) and a cable used to directly go from the Pioneer player to the tv worked, but as soon as I put it thru the denon the HDR signal doesn't pass. I hope this isn't too confusing. Been a long day with wires. Any help would be great.
Terry
tyivan is offline  
post #439 of 621 Old 04-19-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 302
@tyivan

If you tried running the Pioneer through the same input on the Denon as the Oppo then it seems the issue is with the Pioneer.

Check the Settings under Display setting on the Pioneer

Resolution Try Source Direct if you haven’t yet.
Set HDR and Dolby Vision to Auto





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
T-smith is offline  
post #440 of 621 Old 04-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Member
 
tyivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
@tyivan

If you tried running the Pioneer through the same input on the Denon as the Oppo then it seems the issue is with the Pioneer.

Check the Settings under Display setting on the Pioneer

Resolution Try Source Direct if you haven’t yet.
Set HDR and Dolby Vision to Auto





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your help T-smith. Per your suggestion, I tried setting the resolution to source direct. It didn't seem to help. I put on A Quiet Place 4k disc and it did pass Dolby Vision thru the Denon, but when I put on The Fifth Element 4k disc, again, HDR was not passed. The Oppo was able to pass both on their respective disc. As I said earlier. when the Pioneer was directly connected straight to the Lg tv without going thru the Denon then HDR did pass. Very troubling. What should have been a 10 min plug and play has turned out to be a whole afternoon and evening of trying to modify settings.. I am beginning to suspect as the pioneer is the problem in some form , but don't know how..Thanks again, tyivan

PS..Tried running A Quiet Place again on the Oppo and it Passed an HDR signal (not Dolby Vision as indicated by the Pioneer)..I double checked the disc and it is a HDR encoded disc and not Dolby Vision as passed by the Pioneer...more issues

Last edited by tyivan; 04-19-2019 at 08:37 PM.
tyivan is offline  
post #441 of 621 Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyivan View Post
Thanks for your help T-smith. Per your suggestion, I tried setting the resolution to source direct. It didn't seem to help. I put on A Quiet Place 4k disc and it did pass Dolby Vision thru the Denon, but when I put on The Fifth Element 4k disc, again, HDR was not passed. The Oppo was able to pass both on their respective disc. As I said earlier. when the Pioneer was directly connected straight to the Lg tv without going thru the Denon then HDR did pass. Very troubling. What should have been a 10 min plug and play has turned out to be a whole afternoon and evening of trying to modify settings.. I am beginning to suspect as the pioneer is the problem in some form , but don't know how..Thanks again, tyivan



PS..Tried running A Quiet Place again on the Oppo and it Passed an HDR signal (not Dolby Vision as indicated by the Pioneer)..I double checked the disc and it is a HDR encoded disc and not Dolby Vision as passed by the Pioneer...more issues

A Quiet Place is a Dolby Vision disc so the Pioneer is playing it correctly and it sounds like you might not have Dolby Vision enabled on the Oppo assuming it has a specific setting for DV which I believe it does.

What disc are you not getting HDR from on the Pioneer and are getting from the Oppo? When you say you’re not getting HDR do you mean you are just not seeing the popup or somehow only getting 1080p? Has to be a settings issue somewhere but it now seems you have other things going on with the Oppo.

Id turn off all scaling in the Denon and players if you have it turned on and go through all the settings in the Pioneer again as well as the Oppo.


When all else fails try resetting to factory default and starting over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 04-19-2019 at 09:19 PM.
T-smith is offline  
post #442 of 621 Old 04-20-2019, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,172
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
A Quiet Place is a Dolby Vision disc so the Pioneer is playing it correctly and it sounds like you might not have Dolby Vision enabled on the Oppo assuming it has a specific setting for DV which I believe it does.

What disc are you not getting HDR from on the Pioneer and are getting from the Oppo? When you say you’re not getting HDR do you mean you are just not seeing the popup or somehow only getting 1080p? Has to be a settings issue somewhere but it now seems you have other things going on with the Oppo.

Id turn off all scaling in the Denon and players if you have it turned on and go through all the settings in the Pioneer again as well as the Oppo.


When all else fails try resetting to factory default and starting over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I remember with the new oppo FW auto does not work well for DV setting. You need to select TV led on the Oppo.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is online now  
post #443 of 621 Old 04-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-SIBI View Post
Just Got the LX 500 and comparing it to the Panasonic UB9000, the Oppo 203, The Cambridge Audio CXUHD and the Sony x800... I'm keeping out the Game consoles on pourpose...

My first impressions:

- The player is really well built, it is better than the Oppo and the CA, much better than the x800, a little better than the Panasonic UB9000... it is really built like a tank from another era...
- It is an Universal Disc player like the Oppo and the CA (the Sony as far as I know doesn't play DVD-A), so that is good in this era of "savage streaming".
- On a 2018 OLED, the PQ (4K HDR10 or DV from disc) is comparable with the other players with no visible differences; totally gorgeous... but that was expected...
- The menu/navigation system is very poor
- Also the info screen is very poor compared to Panny and Oppo
- No Streaming apps. My point of view is that is good. When you spend money for such an high end disc spinner you are "old fashion" and looking for things like build quality and good DACs... there are cheaper boxes, with comparable Disc PQ, that have streaming apps. An High-End User buying into players like the LX550, the UB9000 or the Oppo will, for sure, have a separate component for streaming...
-No firmware updates so far... all the other players asked for update on first connection. I hope this is not sign of poor support.
-I will soon connect the player to 4K PJ and watch a couple of movies... there I will fully expect differences between players... due to the natural limits of front projectors... I will keep updated...

I'm thinking to produce a comparative review of the player an publish it on Youtube... but I'm not sure how useful will it be...

So far I'm quite impressed by the player... it is not perfect... but none is...
Hi,
Last weekend I was to a friend who tested own Oppo 205 with borrowed Sony x1000, Panasonic 9000 BD player, Pioneer LX500 and LX800 from local dealer. A whole day testing this devices.

The winner in video section was Panasonic, very very closed followed by Pioneer 800, closed by Pioneer 500. Sony and Oppo the last ones. Why did Panasonic win the gold medal? - due to THX and HCX2 IMHO. However, LX 800 superb too. That’s why I written very very closed.

Regarding to audio (stereo analogic) LX 800 and 9000 shared the 1st position of podium. Depends on your taste.

9000 can not read SACDs and audio DVDs. This is the reason why I am leaning to Pioneer.

And now the difficult part. Should I buy 500 and to mode it or to buy 800 ? - 800 no changes because the financial effort is more than 2x compared to 500.

Thanks.
Tex_Thai likes this.
Mike RO is offline  
post #444 of 621 Old 04-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Member
 
Tex_Thai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mae Sai, Thailand
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
^^^^
Interesting Mike RO
I would recommend the LX500, enjoying mine. But wondering where you think it is lacking? What would you Mod on it?
Seems great to me as is.
But always willing to learn.
Since SACDs and DVD-As are a big part of my listening, and my budget is modest, the LX500 was a no brainer pick to me.
YMMV.
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne
Tex_Thai is online now  
post #445 of 621 Old 04-22-2019, 07:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
The 9000 absolutely has a fan which is easily seen when looking at the back of the unit. The Panasonic 820 also has a fan and I could hear it from 20 ft away.

Keep in mind the majority of the layer change issues reported in this thread are by the same couple people. I’ve had a few freezes here and there but nothing I’m freaking out about or able to say are related to layer changes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I went through a couple UB820's because I thought the fan was defective, it was so loud on them, and eventually just returned them for good. However, I currently own two UB9000 players, and the fan is completely silent on both. Can't hear the fan on it at all even when putting my ear right up to the player, and it's nothing like the UB820 in that regard.

Last edited by jwort93; 04-22-2019 at 07:40 AM.
jwort93 is offline  
post #446 of 621 Old 04-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
New pause on minute 96 of Lord of war and complete freeze around minute 101. Opened tray and played back agaon without cleaning the disc, not even touching it, and played fine from minute 92 till the end.
emi45 is offline  
post #447 of 621 Old 04-23-2019, 08:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Thai View Post
^^^^
Interesting Mike RO
I would recommend the LX500, enjoying mine. But wondering where you think it is lacking? What would you Mod on it?
Seems great to me as is.
But always willing to learn.
Since SACDs and DVD-As are a big part of my listening, and my budget is modest, the LX500 was a no brainer pick to me.
YMMV.
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne
Well, the richness of sound and spatiality created by LX800 is the reason why I have declared the 800 model the winner vs. 500 one.
However, I think that if you accept changes inside (tuning) of 500 made by specialised firms it could be sound better than 800. It costs 1500 USD plus transport. The cheapest solution is to replace only the power supply kit for 550 USD.
In the end of the day, you ears will tell you if the money spent was not in vain.
Tex_Thai likes this.
Mike RO is offline  
post #448 of 621 Old 04-24-2019, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What are you all keeping the settings on for HDR on the player? Mine is already set the projector but I’m wondering if the picture settings actually enhance the image any better

Also Sound quality is unbelievable much better than anything else I’ve used including the Xbox




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex_Thai likes this.
thisisgroot is offline  
post #449 of 621 Old 04-24-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,138
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RO View Post
Well, the richness of sound and spatiality created by LX800 is the reason why I have declared the 800 model the winner vs. 500 one.
which part of the LX800 is better than LX500 in terms of video performance?
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #450 of 621 Old 04-25-2019, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I did not notice a big difference in video signal between models. Maybe there is, I do not know.
In fact, IMHO the 2x price of 800 vs. 500 is main due to audio improvements.
Mike RO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off