Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 376Likes

post #481 of 577 Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been really happy with my LX500, but as I play more and more 4K discs, I am noticing more frequent freezes and skips. Movies that have exhibited this so far are Dunkirk, A Quiet Place, Schindler's List, and Ready Player One, that come to mind. Possibly one or two others, as well.

I've read posts in this thread by others with similar issues; is it just a disc problem, which cleaning will help? I've tried this, and it seems to work sometimes, other times not. If a freeze occurs, it sometimes lasts just a few seconds, other times, I have to power down the player and restart. Sometimes the freeze does not reoccur; sometimes it does at the same spot, or a slightly different spot.

Will a firmware upgrade eventually solve this? (I have the latest version now.) Or is it the discs themselves? It seems like a lot of different movies will have the problem, if it is disc based.

I will be looking for a different player if the problem continues.

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
Samsung Q9FN(65"), Marantz SR-7012, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3, Pioneer LX-500, Def Tech BP2000,
CS9040, SR9080, SVS PB-13 Ultra, PSB Imagine XA, Panamax M5300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 577 Old 05-07-2019, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Send a message via Skype™ to I-SIBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25690 View Post
I've been really happy with my LX500, but as I play more and more 4K discs, I am noticing more frequent freezes and skips. Movies that have exhibited this so far are Dunkirk, A Quiet Place, Schindler's List, and Ready Player One, that come to mind. Possibly one or two others, as well.

I've read posts in this thread by others with similar issues; is it just a disc problem, which cleaning will help? I've tried this, and it seems to work sometimes, other times not. If a freeze occurs, it sometimes lasts just a few seconds, other times, I have to power down the player and restart. Sometimes the freeze does not reoccur; sometimes it does at the same spot, or a slightly different spot.

Will a firmware upgrade eventually solve this? (I have the latest version now.) Or is it the discs themselves? It seems like a lot of different movies will have the problem, if it is disc based.

I will be looking for a different player if the problem continues.
Frozen is usually disc related and not fixable by firmware.
For example, recently, I decided to watch again an old tv series that was stored for more than 5 years... I had several freezes on some of the discs... cleaning didn't help much... and the discs looks pristine...
I had to repurchase the box set...

I noticed that this kind of problems are more frequent on earlier BD releases from last decade... some of them tend to "go bad" over time... but they are not many, just a few in the last 10 years (on a collection of more than 5000 discs)...

But it doesn't look to be Player related... I was able to reproduce the same issue on Panasonic, Oppo, Pioneer and Sony... in the same exact spots...
Tex_Thai and gymnos like this.

Pioneer UDP-LX500 - Oppo 203EU - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - KLIPSH R-120SW SUBWOOFER- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - NAIM ND5 XS 2 streamer - NAIM NAIT XS 2 stereo amplifier - Roon Core on the network
post #483 of 577 Old 05-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Here we are talking about pristine new discs. So far I have only had issues with 100gb uhds. I have watched a lot of them and the only one that played flawlessly was Alien, all the other triple layer uhds has some pause or a freeze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 577 Old 05-07-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I am a potential owner of this player. I will keep an eye on this thread for sure. I like that it's a 2-channel player since I have a 2-channel system. I have the 88FD (which needs repair) and the 09FD. Using the 09 currently, and I am really enjoying the sound due to its Wolfson DACs. The 88 uses ESS Sabres. I'm wondering what the LX500 uses. Is the AKM mentioned earlier a newer generation of ESS?

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus

Last edited by prepress; 05-07-2019 at 02:25 PM.
post #485 of 577 Old 05-07-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I am a potential owner of this player. I will keep an eye on this thread for sure. I like that it's a 2-channel player since I have a 2-channel system. I have the 88FD (which needs repair) and the 09FD. Using the 09 currently, and I am really enjoying the sound due to its Wolfson DACs. The 88 uses ESS Sabres. I'm wondering what the LX500 uses. Is the AKM mentioned earlier a newer generation of ESS?

post #486 of 577 Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi45 View Post
Here we are talking about pristine new discs. So far I have only had issues with 100gb uhds. I have watched a lot of them and the only one that played flawlessly was Alien, all the other triple layer uhds has some pause or a freeze.

Are the discs you’ve had issues with Dolby Vision discs? DV is still somewhat new and Alien is not a DV disc. Are these discs you’ve purchased new?

Pioneer is supposedly working on a firmware update for HDR10+ which was planned for the Spring so hopefully it will be released soon and include some playability fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex_Thai likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #487 of 577 Old 05-07-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Are the discs you’ve had issues with Dolby Vision discs? DV is still somewhat new and Alien is not a DV disc. Are these discs you’ve purchased new?

Pioneer is supposedly working on a firmware update for HDR10+ which was planned for the Spring so hopefully it will be released soon and include some playability fixes.

I'm actually not sure, without taking out the discs and looking at each one, whether or not they are Dolby Vision or 100GB discs--my TV is a Samsung Q9FN, so I don't get to use the Dolby Vision feature anyway.

This evening, I spent some time cleaning each of the discs I knew had skipped or frozen previously. I sprayed them with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water, wiped them carefully (from the center outward) with a damp microfiber cloth, followed by a dry one. I then played through the sections of each movie where the freezes/skips had occurred several times. The results were that all of the discs except one played perfectly after the cleaning. The only one where a 2 second freeze occurred was Dunkirk, at a little past the 5 minute mark.

(The discs that the cleaning worked on were Ready Player One, A Quiet Place, Schindler's List, and The Witch; I will be cleaning all of my discs before watching them again.)

By the way, I also have the Alien 4K disc, which has played perfectly.
Tex_Thai likes this.

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
Samsung Q9FN(65"), Marantz SR-7012, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3, Pioneer LX-500, Def Tech BP2000,
CS9040, SR9080, SVS PB-13 Ultra, PSB Imagine XA, Panamax M5300
post #488 of 577 Old 05-07-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25690 View Post
I'm actually not sure, without taking out the discs and looking at each one, whether or not they are Dolby Vision or 100GB discs--my TV is a Samsung Q9FN, so I don't get to use the Dolby Vision feature anyway.

This evening, I spent some time cleaning each of the discs I knew had skipped or frozen previously. I sprayed them with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water, wiped them carefully (from the center outward) with a damp microfiber cloth, followed by a dry one. I then played through the sections of each movie where the freezes/skips had occurred several times. The results were that all of the discs except one played perfectly after the cleaning. The only one where a 2 second freeze occurred was Dunkirk, at a little past the 5 minute mark.

(The discs that the cleaning worked on were Ready Player One, A Quiet Place, Schindler's List, and The Witch; I will be cleaning all of my discs before watching them again.)

By the way, I also have the Alien 4K disc, which has played perfectly.

Nice info...cleaning can def help as discs can come with a film substance which can build up during manufacturing that doesn’t get completely cleaned causing playback issues.

Ready Player One, A Quiet Place, Schindler's List, and The Witch are all Dolby Vision discs

Might be worth turning Dolby Vision off in the player if your TV doesn’t support it. Not sure it will make a difference since the other option is Auto and will only play DV if TV supports it but couldn’t hurt.

Tex_Thai likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 05-07-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #489 of 577 Old 05-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Does anyone with the unit know what subtitle options there are? The Panasonic allows position and luminance adjustment, although not mentioned in the manual. What options are available on the Pioneer?

Thanks
post #490 of 577 Old 05-09-2019, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Thanks for this. I've begun looking into the AKM and so far it appears to be more like the Wolfson than the ESS, sound-wise. That's good.
Tex_Thai likes this.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #491 of 577 Old 05-09-2019, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 40
^^^^^^^
Hey prepress, I enjoy the AKM DAC and prefer it a LOT over the ESS SABREs.
Much more musical to my ears, more relaxed.
Course the wanna be scientists on this forum will pooh pooh that, cause "they all sound the same"
But I recommend the LX500 for two channel music, and yet, go multi channel with a great DAC and yer even better off.
Hope this helps,
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
SteveC356 likes this.
post #492 of 577 Old 05-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have this player? If so, any idea on the subtitle functions, as I was asking about? Thanks.
post #493 of 577 Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Thai View Post
^^^^^^^
Hey prepress, I enjoy the AKM DAC and prefer it a LOT over the ESS SABREs.
Much more musical to my ears, more relaxed.
Course the wanna be scientists on this forum will pooh pooh that, cause "they all sound the same"
But I recommend the LX500 for two channel music, and yet, go multi channel with a great DAC and yer even better off.
Hope this helps,
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
I took my 88FD for repair this week (the tray won't open). If I go for the LX500, it would probably be the 88 that would be odd man out, as the 09's robust sound is preferred (if not quite as open on top). There is the possibility that the 09's low end could be too much depending on the source material, and I had become used to the 88's sound. I enjoy it, actually, but the 09 has reminded me of the difference between the two players sound-wise.

I'll have to consider this and see if my wallet wants to cooperate. Right now, I don't think it does. Perhaps I could sell the 88, or maybe its processing is slightly better on DVDs than the 09's. A test may be called for.
Tex_Thai likes this.

post #494 of 577 Old 05-10-2019, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone with the unit comment on the subtitle options? The Panasonic has luminance and position options, that aren't in the manual, so was wondering what the Pioneer might be able to do.
post #495 of 577 Old 05-10-2019, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 1616
I'm looking forward to getting my 500 Monday! I'm upgrading my Oppo 103. Now that I finally replaced my Sammy 8000D 64" Plasma with a Sammy 65F 4K display, I thought well, I need to upgrade my player now...…...and to my HORROR, I learned that Oppo had long since folded their tents and I'm sure as heck not paying a pirate the ugly price the 205 is going for.

So, after much deliberation, the 500 won my vote. It'll be hooked to an Integra DHC-80.2 so I'll be utilizing the split HDMI like I'm doing now with the 103 for 4K upscaling.

I'm glad to hear that the 2ch is sounding great, I was hoping for balanced connections, but, I get what I get.

Pics and impressions to come after Monday!
Tex_Thai likes this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 80.2 using M.P. Monolith XLR's-Oppo 103-65" 4K Sammy-Emotiva: XPA-DR3, XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2-PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4-LiSM706-FXiA6 x 4-LiSM703-Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #496 of 577 Old 05-11-2019, 12:27 AM

^^^^&^^^^
Congrats Geoff4RFC on your decision and purchase. I think you are gonna love it.
Will look forward to your comments.
I just watched the 4K version of "Annihilation" last night with friends. We had to wake each other up and remind each other that there was still a movie being played, it finally got to the end credits which were beautiful and we were sooooo glad. One thing I can tell you about this player, it will NOT make a stupid, useless, boring, horrible movie into a good one.
YMMV.

MOberhardt, I don't think this is what you want to know, but I have this player and the subtitles are right where I like em, at the bottom, and plenty bright enough to read. Even come in a LOT of different languages. Work perfectly for me.

God Bless,
Wayne
Geoff4RFC likes this.
post #497 of 577 Old 05-11-2019, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 49
What are everyone thoughts on the Oppo 203 verse the Pioneer lx500. I am paring is with a JVC NX9 and primary use would be for video with a emphasis on HDR and tone mapping?

Jim Parys is Living the dream...
La Sirena III Theater
post #498 of 577 Old 05-11-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post
What are everyone thoughts on the Oppo 203 verse the Pioneer lx500. I am paring is with a JVC NX9 and primary use would be for video with a emphasis on HDR and tone mapping?
This review is what pushed me to make my decision. The OP compares his 203 directly to the 500.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussi...e-udp-lx500/p1
Tex_Thai likes this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 80.2 using M.P. Monolith XLR's-Oppo 103-65" 4K Sammy-Emotiva: XPA-DR3, XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2-PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4-LiSM706-FXiA6 x 4-LiSM703-Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #499 of 577 Old 05-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone with the unit comment on the subtitle options? The Panasonic has luminance and position options, that aren't in the manual, so was wondering what the Pioneer might be able to do.
post #500 of 577 Old 05-11-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Tex_Thai tried to address you question a couple of posts ago.
Tex_Thai likes this.

Set up:
post #501 of 577 Old 05-11-2019, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Tex_Thai tried to address you question a couple of posts ago.
I don't see that answering my question. All that confirmed was that it could display subtitles, which was never a question I had. So I take it there are no subtitle options at all, unlike the oppos and Panasonics?
post #502 of 577 Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't see that answering my question. All that confirmed was that it could display subtitles, which was never a question I had. So I take it there are no subtitle options at all, unlike the oppos and Panasonics?
I cannot confirm that.
Tex_Thai likes this.

Set up:
post #503 of 577 Old 05-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Unplanned, unintended, but a funny thing happened this evening, somebody gifted me a CD and I put it into the LX500 and the sound made me write this.
I am NOT a 2 channel person, do not normally play stereo music except with my DAP into my ciems in situations when I need to listen privately.
However, I have connected the LX500 2 channel analog outputs to check out the stereo sound. Tonight's listen really impressed me, so much I had to share.
An old friend at church gave me this CD which features instrumental renditions of older church music, mostly hymns. The name of the CD is IT IS WELL, not sure who it is by, but it was quite well played/recorded music and I was pretty shocked at how great it sounded.
Not my kind of music particularly but I played the album through twice just enjoying it.
Lots of different kinds of instruments and sounds, even a little world music sound, all of it rendered beautifully.
The LX500 has some serious musical chops folks!!!!!
It was the best 2 channel music has sounded in my home theater and that is saying quite a lot, IMHO.
Clarity, balance, articulate, fullsome, wonderful PRAT, round full bass, vocals (what little there were) warm and natural, top treble was spot on shining but not overly bright, just musical in spades. It was all there.
The experience made me think that I really have to get out some favorite albums and give some more serious listening time through this player with this DAC. Seriously impressed.
God Bless,
Wayne
EDJK likes this.
post #504 of 577 Old 05-12-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The LX500 has some serious musical chops folks!!!!!
It was the best 2 channel music has sounded in my home theater and that is saying quite a lot, IMHO.
Clarity, balance, articulate, fullsome, wonderful PRAT, round full bass, vocals (what little there were) warm and natural, top treble was spot on shining but not overly bright, just musical in spades. It was all there.
The experience made me think that I really have to get out some favorite albums and give some more serious listening time through this player with this DAC. Seriously impressed.
God Bless,
Wayne
Dig thanks for sharing!! Since I upgraded my last speaker series, I've heavily moved into 2ch and now eagerly awaiting the arrival of my 500.
Tex_Thai likes this.

Set up:
post #505 of 577 Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 AM

Hey Guys,
I was asked to post a video of my system playing music on the LX500. And though I appreciate the request, and see where you are coming from, I cannot for the life of me imagine that it would be helpful to anybody.
Besides only being able to take videos on my phone, which would surely be crappy, and crappy sound, you would in the end be watching it and listening to it on YouTube, which is crappy and then on your tv and listening by your speakers and system. In the end I cannot see any hope that this would give you any meaningful information at all.
Wish I could help more.
God Bless,
Wayne
post #506 of 577 Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Arrived earlier this evening. Set up was pretty straight forward, it take me some fiddling around with the HDMI and Resolution settings to see what was going to work with my split HDMI outs, one to the display and one to the Pre-amp.

So far so good. I haven't played with any settings yet, or tried out the Audio section, later to come.

This is a BEAST in my set up, makes my Oppo 103 look like a toy. I will bring my Emotiva CD player down to sit beside it and move the Xbox up one shelf......for aesthetics of course.

Just a couple of shots to show it pairs with an Integra Pre and Emo amplifiers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190513_203411.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2566490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190513_203457.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	2566492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190513_203532.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	2566494  
Tex_Thai likes this.

Set up:
post #507 of 577 Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 PM

^^^^^^^^
Hey Geoff4RFC, looks great and I am sure it will sound and play as good as it looks. Hope you get many years of joy playing it.
Say, as you were doing your setup, I "think" I "remember" (both always a challenge at my age) reading that on setup for the LX500 one can choose the type of TV display you have, to optimize the pic, whether LCD, or OLED or Projector. But I can not find that. Did you? And IF so, can you tell me where?
Or anyone else who might know wish to chime in, would be great.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne
Geoff4RFC likes this.
post #508 of 577 Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^^^^^^
Hey Geoff4RFC, looks great and I am sure it will sound and play as good as it looks. Hope you get many years of joy playing it.
Say, as you were doing your setup, I "think" I "remember" (both always a challenge at my age) reading that on setup for the LX500 one can choose the type of TV display you have, to optimize the pic, whether LCD, or OLED or Projector. But I can not find that. Did you? And IF so, can you tell me where?
Or anyone else who might know wish to chime in, would be great.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne
I haven't seen that yet. Now I'm going to be looking for it.
Tex_Thai likes this.

Set up:
post #509 of 577 Old 05-14-2019, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Send a message via Skype™ to I-SIBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
I haven't seen that yet. Now I'm going to be looking for it.
As far as I know the only display type you can choose is "Projector" in a pop-up menu... you have several display modes but only a specific PJ mode that implement some kind of tone mapping...

Said that, the Pio Tone Mapping is not as evolute as the panny one... but is also not so intrusive... I found that the UB9000 introduces some visible banding in particular movies...
For me is really disturbing... hard tu say if it is related to my Pj or not...

So far (when projecting) I'm using the LX500 more than the UB9000... due to the banding.
Tex_Thai likes this.

Pioneer UDP-LX500 - Oppo 203EU - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - KLIPSH R-120SW SUBWOOFER- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - NAIM ND5 XS 2 streamer - NAIM NAIT XS 2 stereo amplifier - Roon Core on the network
post #510 of 577 Old 05-14-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I think you want to know if the subtitles can be shifted up or down, right? For a front projector setup with a cinemascope screen where sometimes the subtitles are coded in the letterboxed area of the image. I'd be curious too. I don't see a mention of this in the manual. The new sony X800M2 (nowhere in the same league as this but worth noting) has this functionality.
MOberhardt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page