Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 411Likes

post #571 of 620 Old 06-18-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
Automatic BR zone switch: No
BR zone manually switchable: Yes

How do you manually switch zones with this mod installed? It says the zone switch is automatic for DVDs.
So to answer my own question, I was able to reach them by phone:

While the player is in standby you press 1, 2 or 3 on the remote to set the respective BR region.

They also told me that for the LX500 and certain other players they currently don't offer a DIY kit — you need to send the player in to them to perform the mod. It takes a fairly advanced tech/soldering skill level to install the mod, and they've had a lot of cases of customers having to send various players to them to undo damage they've done and install a mod properly.
Boushh and Rocketstail like this.

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 620 Old 06-20-2019, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
So to answer my own question, I was able to reach them by phone:

While the player is in standby you press 1, 2 or 3 on the remote to set the respective BR region.

They also told me that for the LX500 and certain other players they currently don't offer a DIY kit — you need to send the player in to them to perform the mod. It takes a fairly advanced tech/soldering skill level to install the mod, and they've had a lot of cases of customers having to send various players to them to undo damage they've done and install a mod properly.
So now they *don't* offer a DIY kit for the LX500? That page was changed from the last time I viewed it.
post #573 of 620 Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question....
This may be late, moot, or just dumb, but are they still producing the lx800?
I only recently learned about it, and it's not on Pioneer's website, Best Buy doesn't carry it...does it exist??
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 620 Old 06-25-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post
Question....

This may be late, moot, or just dumb, but are they still producing the lx800?

I only recently learned about it, and it's not on Pioneer's website, Best Buy doesn't carry it...does it exist??

Thanks.

The LX800 wasnt released in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #575 of 620 Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
The LX800 wasnt released in the US

Awww shucks. I'm a bit surprised. Usually we're the big target market!
I've seen them on eBay, region-free. I wonder....
post #576 of 620 Old 06-25-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post
Awww shucks. I'm a bit surprised. Usually we're the big target market!

I've seen them on eBay, region-free. I wonder....

There are a lot of items that don’t get released in the US. Panasonic still makes TVs but they don’t sell them in the US anymore.

I’d confirm the power on any LX800’s listed on eBay before you buy as they might be European models.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #577 of 620 Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
There are a lot of items that don’t get released in the US. Panasonic still makes TVs but they don’t sell them in the US anymore.

I’d confirm the power on any LX800’s listed on eBay before you buy as they might be European models.

Most definitely. Thanks very much!
post #578 of 620 Old 06-28-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this (500 model)
Tex_Thai likes this.

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*

Last edited by purplerain; 06-28-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #579 of 620 Old 06-29-2019, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Vincent's review is up. Are Dolby Vision's HDMI issues ever going to be fixed? I can't imagine spending this much on a UHD player to only get incorrect picture levels/clipping with Dolby Vision.

Tex_Thai, Trell and Panson like this.
post #580 of 620 Old 06-29-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
Vincent's review is up.
"...or, as we think up some NSFW jokes for our next video."

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
post #581 of 620 Old 06-30-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, Vincent's review shows the LX500's abysmal (un-watchable) HDR-to-SDR conversion, and compares it to the Panasonic UB9000, which does it properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenSnapz001.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	2586120  

Martha Washington
post #582 of 620 Old 07-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this (500 model)
Just ordered it

One question...can I use the HDMI (single, not split/separated) for Blu-ray's and CD's and 2-channel SACD's?

*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
post #583 of 620 Old 07-01-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Just ordered it

One question...can I use the HDMI (single, not split/separated) for Blu-ray's and CD's and 2-channel SACD's?

Yes, you can.

purplerain likes this.
post #584 of 620 Old 07-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
Yes, you can.

Lastly, is there any difference between audio/video quality while running a single HDMI cable connection compared to running 2 HDMI (Pioneer main and sub HDMI outs) cables from the Pioneer to the AVR and TV? Thank you

post #585 of 620 Old 07-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Lastly, is there any difference between audio/video quality while running a single HDMI cable connection compared to running 2 HDMI (Pioneer main and sub HDMI outs) cables from the Pioneer to the AVR and TV? Thank you

Yes, there’s just a small difference in the treble region when you do the split method. It sounds a dash warmer. But I decided to go with the single cable route. I prefer to be able to have access to the receiver’s onscreen displays than to switch inputs at the TV.

If you have a Pioneer Elite receiver with PQLS, the difference will be imperceptible because jitter is kept way low.

purplerain and Tex_Thai like this.
post #586 of 620 Old 07-02-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
https://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/u...universal-disc

Quote:
June 28, 2019
Onkyo & Pioneer Corp. regrets to inform its customers that a firmware update adding HDR10+ support to the UDP-LX800 and UDP-LX500 Universal Disc Players, which was first announced in December 2018, will be postponed until Autumn 2019 due to an unavoidable development delay.
We would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to customers that are currently using or are considering using these products.
We will post the firmware update information on product page of UDP-LX800 and 500 when development has been finished. We deeply appreciate your ongoing patience, understanding, and support.
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #587 of 620 Old 07-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
^^^^^^^^^^
Disappointing to say the least!!!!! Got/bought my first HDR 10+ blu ray, "Bohemian Rhapsody" the other day.
Glad to finally hear something though, rather than being left hanging, as we have been for so long now.
Thanks lebellium to post this.
I hope Autumn 2019 means Autumn.
God Bless,
Wayne

Last edited by Tex_Thai; 07-02-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: correction
post #588 of 620 Old 07-03-2019, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
^^^^^ Look at the bright side. They are admitting it's taking some time, not rushing it out, and hopefully getting it right the first time.
Tex_Thai, Trell and SteveC356 like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #589 of 620 Old 07-03-2019, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Question Zero Signal

On the rear panel (LX500), there’s a socket labelled Zero Signal, which is designed to ground audio and video signals and help maintain signal quality as it passes through the player into your AV receiver. I was told: "Simply connect one end of a standard analogue interconnect to the Zero Signal socket on the player and attach the other to an analogue audio or video socket on the rear of your home cinema amp." Question is, where do I connect it on my Yamaha RX-A3070 and do I need to change any settings? Thank you

Also, is a standard analogue interconnect cable the same as Monolith's by Monoprice digital audio coaxial cable?

post #590 of 620 Old 07-04-2019, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
^^^^^^^^^ Hi Purplerain, I am not sure I know exactly the answer to your questions, but will give it a shot as I hate to see anybody left hanging out there to dry.
Your instruction manual is the place to find the answers I reckon, but I "think" all you are looking for is an electrical connection between your Pioneer and your receiver to get them sharing a common ground. Any unused RCA jack on the receiver can be plugged into, with an old interconnect laying around. Is this the same as the Mono, Mono cable you describe? No, not exactly, had to look it up on Amazon to know what you were talking about for sure, not all of us are Monoprice knowledgeable. But in the description there, Amazon, of the cable it describes what it is made for, 'digitalness', and then says "it can also be used for composite video and other line level RCA signals".
So I reckon that is a YES to your question.
I hope that helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
purplerain likes this.
post #591 of 620 Old 07-04-2019, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
On the rear panel (LX500), there’s a socket labelled Zero Signal, which is designed to ground audio and video signals and help maintain signal quality as it passes through the player into your AV receiver. I was told: "Simply connect one end of a standard analogue interconnect to the Zero Signal socket on the player and attach the other to an analogue audio or video socket on the rear of your home cinema amp." Question is, where do I connect it on my Yamaha RX-A3070 and do I need to change any settings? Thank you

Also, is a standard analogue interconnect cable the same as Monolith's by Monoprice digital audio coaxial cable?
Hi - I connected the Zero Signal port on the LX500 to a spare analogue input on my NAD. I just used a standard RCA cable similar to the cables I have used with connecting the LX500 for my CD connection. Hard to tell if it has made a significant difference although playing CDs the sound is great and I had a spare RCA cable - so why not - George
EDJK, purplerain, RickyDeg and 1 others like this.

LG C9 | NAD T777v3 | NAD M25 | Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II | Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 II | 6 Monitor Gold GXFX | JL Audio F212v2 | Virgin v6 | Pioneer LX 500 4k Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4k | Linn Sondek LP12
post #592 of 620 Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrossen View Post
Hi - I connected the Zero Signal port on the LX500 to a spare analogue input on my NAD. I just used a standard RCA cable similar to the cables I have used with connecting the LX500 for my CD connection. Hard to tell if it has made a significant difference although playing CDs the sound is great and I had a spare RCA cable - so why not - George
I am pretty enthusiastic about the audio quality of the 500. Particularly SACD. Not missing the oppo at all.

Thank you to Nick at Audio Advice.
Tex_Thai and SteveC356 like this.
post #593 of 620 Old 07-05-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Question TV types (video options)

Should I leave this option on Reference or LCD TV (which is my panel)?

FedEx just dropped it off....holy cow is that thing heavy...built like a tank.......23lbs
Tex_Thai likes this.

Last edited by purplerain; 07-08-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #594 of 620 Old 07-08-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Quote:

If I remember correctly, that option is best utilized if you have a Pioneer Elite AVR or Pre.

"Zero Signal Terminal
The Zero Signal Terminal is a Pioneer-original feature dedicated to tuning audio and video quality without signal transmission. By connecting the Zero Signal Terminal with the audio/video input terminal of an AV receiver etc., the reference level (GND) of the audio/video signals is aligned between the two devices, and the potential difference is suppressed, allowing a precise and high-quality signal transmission."

The image used on the website of an Elite AVR, but who knows, could be used with another brand AVR?

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Marantz AV8802A W/M.P. Monolith XLR's-Oppo 103-65" 4K Sammy-Emotiva: XPA-DR3, XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2-PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4-LiSM706-FXiA6 x 4-LiSM703-Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #595 of 620 Old 07-09-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Hi folks been very interested in the 500 so much so that I put my much loved Panasonic ub9000 up for sale.love it so much I pulled it from sale and ordered the lx-500 anyway. You can never have to many lol. Thought they might be a great backup for each other. Looking forward to comparing. Unfortunately I am using a Samsung n950 soundbar which is not terrible but no way can it do justice to both players audio. But always a big pioneer fan.
purplerain and Tex_Thai like this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer LX-500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #596 of 620 Old 07-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Should I leave this option on Reference or LCD TV (which is my panel)?

FedEx just dropped it off....holy cow is that thing heavy...built like a tank.......23lbs
Do you guys prefer Auto or Source Direct?

post #597 of 620 Old 07-09-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:

Since you have a Z9D, try it both ways to see what you prefer.
purplerain likes this.
post #598 of 620 Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

After watching Vincent’s review I’m glad I’m using source direct.
As most tv’s in my case have better upscaling compared to the LX-500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
purplerain likes this.
post #599 of 620 Old 07-10-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Set up the new 500 today. Love it so far. Tried a few bd and hdr movies after several adjustments I see very little if any difference in pq. I think even though I am using a soundbar the audio on the 500 seemed a little warmer and detailed over the panny. I played around with about 6 discs only one slight issue so far a short audio drop out on a Blu ray Dolby vision. I replay the same part and same drop cleaned the disc no drop. Other than that all is well I think I am covered for a while.
purplerain, Tex_Thai and SteveC356 like this.

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #600 of 620 Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As a new owner of course you check everything,thus this being such a solid quiet player when your dicsc drawer closes do your players make a sound when making contact with the main unit? Thanks

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page