Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 578Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 940 Old 09-05-2019, 06:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
The Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player does all DSD upsampling automatically. But this is a 4000 diollar CD/SACD player... I almost bought one, but decided it was a bit much.
Hi,
Esoteric players too convert PCM signal in DSD one (real-time) before analogue conversion. Like some Marantz players, top ones.
I do not know if it’s marketing or a fact, a true added value. I did not hear Marantz, only Esoteric - entry level model. Tremendous performance. Nice to have.

Pioneer LX 800 is not in this league or price range. Maybe is better to buy a player for audio only and a separate one for video. Universal player is a very good surrogate, but limited audio performance compared to dedicated devices. IMHO.
I have to upgrade my old player and OLED TV. For 4k TV I have a very short list. But for player/players, I am oscillating between LX800 or Pioneer PD70AE (audio only) + video player (I do not know which one). I am waiting CES 2020. Thanks.

Last edited by Mike RO; 09-05-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Mike RO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 940 Old 09-10-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nexgen76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Does the LX-500 allow MKV playback with immersive audio?

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
Nexgen76 is offline  
post #813 of 940 Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,265
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Watched John wick 3 Parabellum tonight on my 500 4k Dolby vision atmos. Played great,beautiful picture and sound no glitches or freezing. 👍
Tex_Thai, SteveC356 and mhphoto like this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
william06 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #814 of 940 Old 09-11-2019, 05:23 AM
Member
 
jcavila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thumbs up MKV files will play on LX-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Does the LX-500 allow MKV playback with immersive audio?

Yes, it does. I've watched MKV files with Atmos lit up on my Pioneer SC-99. Although it can be finicky about MKV files with other said immersive audio (DTS Master 7.1). Movie will play without sound. I have also occasionally found it will display audio format not compatible. I find I get the best results playing via USB drive plugged into the front of the LX-500.
Nexgen76 likes this.
jcavila is offline  
post #815 of 940 Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 AM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavila View Post
Yes, it does. I've watched MKV files with Atmos lit up on my Pioneer SC-99. Although it can be finicky about MKV files with other said immersive audio (DTS Master 7.1). Movie will play without sound. I have also occasionally found it will display audio format not compatible. I find I get the best results playing via USB drive plugged into the front of the LX-500.
Strange AVS user "MOberhardt" claims over in the Panasonic UB9000 thread, https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post58541278 the Pioneer does not support MKV file playback nor does the LX500/800 manual claim that it does but I suppose Pioneer provided MKV support in a firmware update at one point.
oniiz is offline  
post #816 of 940 Old 09-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Member
 
jcavila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
Strange AVS user "MOberhardt" claims over in the Panasonic UB9000 thread, https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post58541278 the Pioneer does not support MKV file playback nor does the LX500/800 manual claim that it does but I suppose Pioneer provided MKV support in a firmware update at one point.

I asked the question back before I bought mine and no one was able to verify if MKV would play. The manual definitely does not say it will either. But I can say 100% that the LX-500 will play MKV files. I have watched at least 20+ MKV movies via disc/usb.
beerhunt and mhphoto like this.
jcavila is offline  
post #817 of 940 Old 09-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Watched Pokemon detective today with no issues at all.
william06, Tex_Thai and mhphoto like this.
emi45 is offline  
post #818 of 940 Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 PM
Member
 
CalJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post
I can't get this to work correctly, so I'm clearly missing something. I figured its set up would be like for my Oppo 103. For that, I have audio only HDMI 2 on the Oppo to my Onkyo AVR (HDMI port 2), and HDMI 1 on the Oppo to my Sony Bravia TV (HDMI port 2), and then have it set up to "Dual HDMI Output" in the settings. For the UDP-LX500, same basic approach: HDMI OUT SUB (audio only) to HDMI port 4 on my Onkyo, and HDMI OUT MAIN on the UDP-LX500 to HDMI port 4 on the Bravia. Set HDMI mode to "Separate." If I select Input 4 on the TV, I get video, no sound. If I select the HDMI port on my Onkyo, I get sound with no picture. If I remove the audio only cable connect and set to "single," I get sound and video, but the sound is only PCM 2.0. I took the cable connections I know work with my Oppo and connected them to the Pioneer; same result. I'm out of ideas, so I hope someone can help.
In case someone else has this problem, I did get it to work as I wanted. The LX500 behaves very differently than my Oppo. With the Oppo, I just select its HDMI connection port on the AVR and I'm good to go. With the LX500, I must select the HDMI connection port on the TV (not the case with the Oppo), THEN select the LX500's HDMI channel on the AVR. If I select the AVR HDMI port first, once I select the HDMI port on the TV, the AVR switches to the ARC. This is probably obvious to a lot here, but again, I thought it'd work like my Oppo, and I'm embarrassed to admit it took awhile to figure this out. Hope I can save someone else some time. So, the LX500 is now bitstreaming my ripped SACDs from my NAS. All's good
beerhunt likes this.
CalJake is offline  
post #819 of 940 Old 09-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I am leaning toward keeping my LX 500, I watched John Wick 3 in 4K last night with no issues. Still interested if anyone know if the 350 nit setting in projector mode is similar the setting Panasonic has in its ub 9000?
mhphoto is offline  
post #820 of 940 Old 09-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone traded up from the previous model, the Pioneer BDP-85? Have you noticed any improvements in blu-ray video or CD playback?
Trentero is offline  
post #821 of 940 Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post
In case someone else has this problem, I did get it to work as I wanted. The LX500 behaves very differently than my Oppo. With the Oppo, I just select its HDMI connection port on the AVR and I'm good to go. With the LX500, I must select the HDMI connection port on the TV (not the case with the Oppo), THEN select the LX500's HDMI channel on the AVR. If I select the AVR HDMI port first, once I select the HDMI port on the TV, the AVR switches to the ARC. This is probably obvious to a lot here, but again, I thought it'd work like my Oppo, and I'm embarrassed to admit it took awhile to figure this out. Hope I can save someone else some time. So, the LX500 is now bitstreaming my ripped SACDs from my NAS. All's good


Sounds like this has more to do with CEC and auto switching between your TV and AVR than anything with the Pioneer.

The difference could be if you had HDMI control on in the Oppo but not in the Pioneer.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 09-12-2019 at 08:14 PM.
T-smith is offline  
post #822 of 940 Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Anyone using both the Panasonic 9000 and Pioneer 500 have any input on the difference in video image playback on the 350 nit setting on both units when viewing on a projector or on the audio output quality over HDMI for movies? I am trying to decide between both as my trusty Panasonic 900 HDMI 2 port for sending 4K stopped working about 2 weeks ago, the lesser 1.4 Audio port works fine. I only had the player a littler over 2 years so I am hesitant to swim in Panasonic waters again!
mhphoto is offline  
post #823 of 940 Old 09-12-2019, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
Anyone using both the Panasonic 9000 and Pioneer 500 have any input on the difference in video image playback on the 350 nit setting on both units when viewing on a projector or on the audio output quality over HDMI for movies? I am trying to decide between both as my trusty Panasonic 900 HDMI 2 port for sending 4K stopped working about 2 weeks ago, the lesser 1.4 Audio port works fine. I only had the player a littler over 2 years so I am hesitant to swim in Panasonic waters again!
trusty panasonic 9000 and fail Hdmi just over 2 years of use and you are even considering another panasonic! since 2006 i have owned quite a few BD players only two failed on SONY and other panasonic. since then i owned OPPO and pioneer only. after long time i bought Panasonic UB9000 after debating should i get 2nd oppo 203 or panasonic. my UB9000 is not used that much, in two years maybe 20 times, i am still not convinced with Panasonic quality. I have pioneer 51FD bought in 2007 still connected, now primarily used a CD player and BD movies sometimes. still impressed with its PQ.
mhphoto likes this.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
iserum is offline  
post #824 of 940 Old 09-13-2019, 01:51 AM
Senior Member
 
HiRes_PR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentero View Post
Has anyone traded up from the previous model, the Pioneer BDP-85? Have you noticed any improvements in blu-ray video or CD playback?


I have both. The BDP-85 can do a better conversion of 1080i to 4K due to the QDEO chip. Although , the LX500 has better sound through the HDMI.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex_Thai likes this.
HiRes_PR is offline  
post #825 of 940 Old 09-13-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: N. VA
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
I have pioneer 51FD bought in 2007 still connected, now primarily used a CD player and BD movies sometimes. still impressed with its PQ.
Ditto for my Pioneer BDP-09FD, bought in 2009.

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
rider is offline  
post #826 of 940 Old 09-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post
trusty panasonic 9000 and fail Hdmi just over 2 years of use and you are even considering another panasonic! since 2006 i have owned quite a few BD players only two failed on SONY and other panasonic. since then i owned OPPO and pioneer only. after long time i bought Panasonic UB9000 after debating should i get 2nd oppo 203 or panasonic. my UB9000 is not used that much, in two years maybe 20 times, i am still not convinced with Panasonic quality. I have pioneer 51FD bought in 2007 still connected, now primarily used a CD player and BD movies sometimes. still impressed with its PQ.
Yes i am leaning more toward the Pioneer side so far, just trying to make sure I have a keeper.
mhphoto is offline  
post #827 of 940 Old 09-13-2019, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
I have both. The BDP-85 can do a better conversion of 1080i to 4K due to the QDEO chip. Although , the LX500 has better sound through the HDMI.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, HiRes. I have the Pioneer 101FD, and don't have any immediate plans to go 4K. I have an opportunity to trade up to the LX500 but I'm wondering if it's worth it for standard blu ray. Sounds like no?
Trentero is offline  
post #828 of 940 Old 09-14-2019, 12:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
Anyone using both the Panasonic 9000 and Pioneer 500 have any input on the difference in video image playback on the 350 nit setting on both units when viewing on a projector or on the audio output quality over HDMI for movies? I am trying to decide between both as my trusty Panasonic 900 HDMI 2 port for sending 4K stopped working about 2 weeks ago, the lesser 1.4 Audio port works fine. I only had the player a littler over 2 years so I am hesitant to swim in Panasonic waters again!
Hi,
A friend of mine have tested LX800 and UBP 9000 via video projector and kept 9000. The primary reason was the tremendous performance of Panasonic video processing.

Meanwhile, 9000 is not an universal player. The Panny guys are thinking to make them universal. Hope to see it at CES 2020. In this case, the 1st choice. If not, Pioneer LX800. IMHO. Hope Pioneer to solve soon UHD freezing issue which sometimes is mentioned by owners.
mhphoto likes this.
Mike RO is offline  
post #829 of 940 Old 09-14-2019, 09:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Red face The

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RO View Post
Hi,
A friend of mine have tested LX800 and UBP 9000 via video projector and kept 9000. The primary reason was the tremendous performance of Panasonic video processing.

Meanwhile, 9000 is not an universal player. The Panny guys are thinking to make them universal. Hope to see it at CES 2020. In this case, the 1st choice. If not, Pioneer LX800. IMHO. Hope Pioneer to solve soon UHD freezing issue which sometimes is mentioned by owners.
I wonder how much better the 9000 is than their 820 model at video output. The 820would not play a John Wick bluray disc of mine, looked like it was having trouble loading due to the thickness/shallow drive. Thats how I ended up testing a Pioneer LX500 and other players, the disk loads perfectly.

Thanks for replying
mhphoto is offline  
post #830 of 940 Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First time poster here. AVSForum is my go to for equipment feedback/review and I have recently settled on Pioneer LX500 to replace my 6 year old Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD. I run these through a new Marantz SR7013 and Sony TV displaying ?1080i/24. I had serious issues getting sound to come reliably from the Marantz, until the great dealer support found the problem with HDMI/ARC control settings being ON. Switching these off sorted it. System controlled by Harmony Companion with gear set up in my home office cupboard next door.

I'm seeking answers here for a couple of queries.

1) We just watched the Bradley Cooper's 4k UHD A Star is Born last night and noticed that the voice was slightly out of sync with the lips when people were talking. Can someone help with how to correct this?

2) My Azur 715 can play HDCD CDs (eg Dick Hyman plays Duke Ellington - gold CD). I only have a couple of these reference discs in HDCD format (stunning) so would I have to retain the 715 to play them (over the LX500 which seems to have let the HDCD format become redundant?). At issue, for me, is shelf space and whether to keep the 715

3) Thanks to this forum, I learned the wisdom of playing back SACD and CD through RCA connections to a different port on the AV. But it was referenced that switching outputs requires changing settings on the LX500. Is that still the case with latest firmware updates? (I would probably, in all honesty, play 80% Spotify, 5% CD's and 15% Blu-ray and DVD's)

Finally, I want to acknowledge the generosity of contributors here, it is really appreciated more than you may realise
TG Bop is offline  
post #831 of 940 Old 09-15-2019, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just wstched How to train your dragon 3: hidden world USA edition and I had a small pause at 72'10 minute. Layer change?
emi45 is offline  
post #832 of 940 Old 09-15-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 332
No issues with Apocalypse Now, Rambo, or John Wick 3 which are all DV BD100 discs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex_Thai and SteveC356 like this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
T-smith is offline  
post #833 of 940 Old 09-15-2019, 03:04 PM
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I’ve read the LX500 is a little warmer and nicer sounding player vs the UB9000, while both would be playing movies via HDMI through the AVR can I expect an audible difference through HDMI? The bent towards a warmer tone would be a lovely paring with my speakers. Now I have the LX500 but I haven’t been able to use it yet...just finishing off my AV rack/basement...

I haven't opened the LX500 yet so really I could consider a swap to the UB820 if it’s all going to sound the same. I am 95% movies. 5% music. But I don’t mind spending on a quality player at all...it’s not about the money in this case. See my sig for equipment.
Tex_Thai and mhphoto like this.

- Funk Audio 21.0 - 2000 year old Bog Sequoia Veneer - 4.8Kw RMS 9.6Kw Peak
- Definitive Technology BP9080 (L/R) - CS9080 (C) - BP9060 (SL/SR)
- Monitor Audio CL165 (x4) Atmos Heights
- Marantz SR6014 - Monolith 9X amp - Samsung Q90r 75”

Last edited by Majister; 09-15-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Majister is offline  
post #834 of 940 Old 09-15-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,265
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Watched matrix revolutions Dolby vision today. No issues looked and sounded great
Tex_Thai likes this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
william06 is online now  
post #835 of 940 Old 09-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post
I’ve read the LX500 is a little warmer and nicer sounding player vs the UB9000, while both would be playing movies via HDMI through the AVR can I expect an audible difference through HDMI? The bent towards a warmer tone would be a lovely paring with my speakers. Now I have the LX500 but I haven’t been able to use it yet...just finishing off my AV rack/basement...

I haven't opened the LX500 yet so really I could consider a swap to the UB820 if it’s all going to sound the same. I am 95% movies. 5% music. But I don’t mind spending on a quality player at all...it’s not about the money in this case. See my sig for equipment.
I am still on the fence also and have the both players you mentioned, they do sound different over HDMI. The Panasonic has a bit wider/ more immersive soundstage to me but the Pioneer is a little more clear and detailed. I am probably sticking with the LX500 as the 820 would not load the same "older" John Wick 1 bluray disc on 2 units. It loaded fine on other players, I bought the 4K version to test its accompanying bluray, it worked fine. The newer disc does not feel as thick subjectively. Anyways I want to avoid more "surprises" later on.
Majister and Tex_Thai like this.
mhphoto is offline  
post #836 of 940 Old 09-16-2019, 12:18 AM
Member
 
Tex_Thai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mae Sai, Thailand
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Majister,
sounds like you are similar to me in that you like QUALITY equipment. IF that is the case you will really like the Pioneer LX500.
Total quality, and sounds wonderful, great picture. Plays discs very well, although there are some pauses when the layer changes.
Hope this helps, I love mine.
God Bless,
Wayne
william06 and Majister like this.
Tex_Thai is offline  
post #837 of 940 Old 09-16-2019, 07:55 PM
g_e
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Back after many years! Used to be a frequent visitor but got sidetracked by analog music reproduction pursuits.

My old Pioneer bdp-051 is having trouble with some blu ray discs. DVDs still play well. I have a pioneer elite fd-101 monitor and it still looks great. Probably less than 2500 hours and unplugged when not in use.

I have a lot of DVDs that are unlikely to be released in 1080 let alone 4K and beyond. The Elite monitor does a great job upsampling 480 material.

Sound quality is as important as PQ for me. The old 051 player was surprisingly good in both areas.

One hot button is analog out via RCA connection. I am an Analog Luddite and have no hdmi sound capability, no external DAC anymore (had the Bryston BDA-1 for a while).

The LX-800 is stereo out and it also supports sacd and dvd-a. I sold off most of my high-Rez discs to feed the analog monster but have 25-30 left. I do have the pioneer elite 78-avi which can play them.

I’m also reading up on my he Panasonic 9000. It’s funny these players are both somewhat less than full function sound pkayback-wise. Panny lacks support for hi Sacd/dvd-a but has 7.1 analog out and xlr connections. It also struggles with 640 content upscaling which may be its fatal flaw for me v Lx900 is 2 channel analog out, no XLR and is a universal player. And also upscale swell.

Lots of experience with pioneer equipment and I’ve had good luck with it. We also have a pant plasma upstairs and some of the old DVD players. Good luck with them too.

Has anyone heard the LX800 and Panasonic 9000 in a shootout in a GREAT sound system that is optimized for music playback? In audio circles the Oppo gear was not well regarded for music playback. I’m not getting much intel on these new players.

Any insights will be appreciated

ge
g_e is offline  
post #838 of 940 Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 PM
g_e
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e View Post
Back after many years! Used to be a frequent visitor but got sidetracked by analog music reproduction pursuits.

My old Pioneer bdp-051 is having trouble with some blu ray discs. DVDs still play well. I have a pioneer elite fd-101 monitor and it still looks great. Probably less than 2500 hours and unplugged when not in use.

I have a lot of DVDs that are unlikely to be released in 1080 let alone 4K and beyond. The Elite monitor does a great job upsampling 480 material.

Sound quality is as important as PQ for me. The old 051 player was surprisingly good in both areas.

One hot button is analog out via RCA connection. I am an Analog Luddite and have no hdmi sound capability, no external DAC anymore (had the Bryston BDA-1 for a while).

The LX-800 is stereo out and it also supports sacd and dvd-a. I sold off most of my high-Rez discs to feed the analog monster but have 25-30 left. I do have the pioneer elite 78-avi which can play them.

I’m also reading up on my he Panasonic 9000. It’s funny these players are both somewhat less than full function sound pkayback-wise. Panny lacks support for hi Sacd/dvd-a but has 7.1 analog out and xlr connections. It also struggles with 640 content upscaling which may be its fatal flaw for me v Lx900 is 2 channel analog out, no XLR and is a universal player. And also upscale swell.

Lots of experience with pioneer equipment and I’ve had good luck with it. We also have a pant plasma upstairs and some of the old DVD players. Good luck with them too.

Has anyone heard the LX800 and Panasonic 9000 in a shootout in a GREAT sound system that is optimized for music playback? In audio circles the Oppo gear was not well regarded for music playback. I’m not getting much intel on these new players.

Any insights will be appreciated

ge
I meant to refer to the LX500 not the LX800 in the post.
g_e is offline  
post #839 of 940 Old 09-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Member
 
PCHDTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Loving my new LX500, but a quick question if I may.

I know the answer is whichever I think sounds better, but I’m asking just the same. 😉 On paper, what unit has a better D/A, the LX-500 or my Marantz AV7701? I’m currently running everything out of the LX500 as bitstream and letting the Marantz do the processing. Thanks.
PCHDTV is offline  
post #840 of 940 Old 09-19-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: N. VA
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHDTV View Post
Loving my new LX500, but a quick question if I may.

I know the answer is whichever I think sounds better, but I’m asking just the same. 😉 On paper, what unit has a better D/A, the LX-500 or my Marantz AV7701? I’m currently running everything out of the LX500 as bitstream and letting the Marantz do the processing. Thanks.
The answer is: whichever I think sounds better.

The ultimate sound quality is not just a function of the 'on paper' specs of the D/A chip – it also largely depends on the associated analog circuit design and components used.

"I am determined to be cheerful & happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions & not upon our circumstances."
Martha Washington
rider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off