Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 578Likes

post #901 of 939 Old 10-11-2019, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sorry, it's not an LX500. It's the previous model, the 85FD. The screws are all identical but I'm guessing the ones nearest the corners are chassis screws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 939 Old 10-12-2019, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Watched "X-men dark phoenix"(USA edition) and "The shining"(UK edition) with no sissues at all.
SteveC356 likes this.
post #903 of 939 Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi all need some help

lLX00 is connected to tv via hdmi video/audio and to yamaha avr for hdmi audio.

On playing a uhd disc, the tv switches from its direct TV connection to the audio avr connection, thus I lose the picture, upon switching back I then lose the sound, I figure ARC has something to do with the auto switching but how do I prevent this from happening.

I want to watch the video via TV and hear the audio via the AVR without the need for this switching. thank you all

cheers Neil

Yamaha RV-X1081, Klipsch R110SW x 2, Klipsch G28 Centre Speaker, Klipsch RP-280F Main speakers, Infinty RS5000 rear speakers, Pioneer PLX-1000, PS4 Pro, Samsung Q8FN 65"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 939 Old 10-14-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasumners View Post
Hi all need some help

lLX00 is connected to tv via hdmi video/audio and to yamaha avr for hdmi audio.

On playing a uhd disc, the tv switches from its direct TV connection to the audio avr connection, thus I lose the picture, upon switching back I then lose the sound, I figure ARC has something to do with the auto switching but how do I prevent this from happening.

I want to watch the video via TV and hear the audio via the AVR without the need for this switching. thank you all
See my post #818 in this thread for the same/similar issue and how I solved it. Some of the subsequent responses to my original post are incorrect.
post #905 of 939 Old 10-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post
See my post #818 in this thread for the same/similar issue and how I solved it. Some of the subsequent responses to my original post are incorrect.
Thank you - I think that I need to turn of ARC somewhere as even if I fast forward or rewind I am thrown out of the current source on the tv which then changes the source on the AV.

cheers Neil

Yamaha RV-X1081, Klipsch R110SW x 2, Klipsch G28 Centre Speaker, Klipsch RP-280F Main speakers, Infinty RS5000 rear speakers, Pioneer PLX-1000, PS4 Pro, Samsung Q8FN 65"
post #906 of 939 Old 10-20-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 903
OK so I’ve had this particular player in my system for two weeks now and I think I have made my decision as to which one will stay and which will go. I really love my Oppo 203. It does everything well and somethings exceptionally well. The Pioneer LX500 is by far the “sweetest” sounding spinner of any kind I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to in my system. For BD playback they are dead even. Network play back has the Oppo out in front of the Pioneer by a considerable margin as well as USB playback. IMHO where the Pioneer has the Oppo is in playing back my music. With CD, SACD, DVD A, or stored media it has really won me over. Such detail and clarity, I mean I’m hearing things that, so far with other players, I haven’t heard before. Voices and instruments have a presence that has me very enamored. I’m at the point were I like the sound of the Pioneer so much that I'm unwilling to go back. I can’t justify keeping both so my Oppo will have to move on. I have checked out my stored movies using my ATV4K with Infuse and a Shield TV and even though it is not as smooth as the Oppo it will work for me. I’m also factoring the two year warranty, product support, and future firmware updates with the Pioneer. I hate to see my Oppo go since I’ve been using them since my DV-970HD that in picked up personally from their office because I didn’t want to wait for them to ship it to me. I know some will not agree with my decision and yet at some point you just have to cut bait and try use else. YMMV

By the way I just recently installed the region free mod on my Oppo. I know
Phil1975m, SteveC356 and mhphoto like this.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Pioneer UDP LX500, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000

Last edited by bguzman; 10-20-2019 at 08:53 PM.
post #907 of 939 Old 10-21-2019, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
OK so I’ve had this particular player in my system for two weeks now and I think I have made my decision as to which one will stay and which will go. I really love my Oppo 203. It does everything well and somethings exceptionally well. The Pioneer LX500 is by far the “sweetest” sounding spinner of any kind I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to in my system. For BD playback they are dead even. Network play back has the Oppo out in front of the Pioneer by a considerable margin as well as USB playback. IMHO where the Pioneer has the Oppo is in playing back my music. With CD, SACD, DVD A, or stored media it has really won me over. Such detail and clarity, I mean I’m hearing things that, so far with other players, I haven’t heard before. Voices and instruments have a presence that has me very enamored. I’m at the point were I like the sound of the Pioneer so much that I'm unwilling to go back. I can’t justify keeping both so my Oppo will have to move on. I have checked out my stored movies using my ATV4K with Infuse and a Shield TV and even though it is not as smooth as the Oppo it will work for me. I’m also factoring the two year warranty, product support, and future firmware updates with the Pioneer. I hate to see my Oppo go since I’ve been using them since my DV-970HD that in picked up personally from their office because I didn’t want to wait for them to ship it to me. I know some will not agree with my decision and yet at some point you just have to cut bait and try use else. YMMV

Nice to hear. I assume you are using HDMI for audio and you still hear a marked difference in audio? Interesting. I'm looking to replace a Oppo 95 and keep a 203 in the rack. I have both in use.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #908 of 939 Old 10-21-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Nice to hear. I assume you are using HDMI for audio and you still hear a marked difference in audio? Interesting. I'm looking to replace a Oppo 95 and keep a 203 in the rack. I have both in use.
Yes I listen to both analog and HDMI and both are more to my liking with the LX 500.
glangford, SteveC356 and mhphoto like this.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Pioneer UDP LX500, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #909 of 939 Old 10-22-2019, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I listen to both analog and HDMI and both are more to my liking with the LX 500.
Good to know. Thanks.

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #910 of 939 Old 11-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Found an issue network streaming mkv HD movies encoded with Dolby ATMOS. I get the Audio Format not supported error. Movies: John Wick, Ready Player One.

Hopefully this can be fixed in the next firmware update.
Noticed this issue also occurs with Dolby TrueHD.

I have submitted a bug report with Pioneer Electronics. For anyone else having this issue getting an incompatible audio format error streaming Dolby TrueHD or ATMOS to the LX500, if you can log the issue with Pioneer. I think the more complaints we log this can be addressed in the next firmware.

See Profile
post #911 of 939 Old 11-06-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Well into fall no hdr+ update yet as promised. Anyone
post #912 of 939 Old 11-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Regarding the warranty.. I bought a UDP-LX800 in may 2019. It broke in less than three
weeks. Totally dead, no power or anything. I sent it in for warranty repair in june.
Got info that main board was broken and it was ordered. Expected date for arrival came
and went. I called my seller, who offered me a replacement player because the repair firm
couldn’t give them a final date for the spare part to arrive.
Now in november I got info that the main board never arrived and the player was sent
back to my seller for fund back from Aqipa.

Makes me a little worried about Pioneer actually..

TV: Sony KD-65ZD9 BLURAY: Pioneer UDP-LX800 PREPRO: Emotiva RMC-1 11ch AMP: Emotiva XPA-11 gen3 Network streamer: Pioneer N-70AE Speakers: Front SVS Ultra Tower Center SVS Ultra Center Surround (4 speakers) Dynavoice Definition DX-5 Height (4 speakers top) SVS Prime Elevation Subwoofer (2 subwoofers) XTZ SUB 12.17 Edge

Last edited by HSamwel; 11-09-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #913 of 939 Old 11-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sem115 View Post
Question about if the LX-500 on the analog output is DSD when playing SACD, Im a new owner of the LX-500 just trying to find out about DSD playback. I see HDMI to AVR provides DSD format ,does internal DAC convert to PCM or play native DSD when using analog outputs, anybody have any thoughts on this or send PCM to external DAC via Coaxial.

Thanks
Analog always implies pcm output. So, yes, it should decode the DSD from both SACD or
USB/network.
DSD/SACD can only be sent unmodified (native) digitally through HDMI.

I have a LX800 and often use the balanced out for sacd/cd output. It sounds really nice.
Although LX800 also have a PURE AUDIO HDMI option from the second hdmi port. This
setting disables all video output of the player. It’s not available in the LX500.
Really nice if you have a nice(r) DAC or prepro.
SteveC356 likes this.

TV: Sony KD-65ZD9 BLURAY: Pioneer UDP-LX800 PREPRO: Emotiva RMC-1 11ch AMP: Emotiva XPA-11 gen3 Network streamer: Pioneer N-70AE Speakers: Front SVS Ultra Tower Center SVS Ultra Center Surround (4 speakers) Dynavoice Definition DX-5 Height (4 speakers top) SVS Prime Elevation Subwoofer (2 subwoofers) XTZ SUB 12.17 Edge
post #914 of 939 Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSamwel View Post
Analog always implies pcm output. So, yes, it should decode the DSD from both SACD or
USB/network.
DSD/SACD can only be sent unmodified (native) digitally through HDMI.

I have a LX800 and often use the balanced out for sacd/cd output. It sounds really nice.
Although LX800 also have a PURE AUDIO HDMI option from the second hdmi port. This
setting disables all video output of the player. It’s not available in the LX500.
Really nice if you have a nice(r) DAC or prepro.
I didn’t read anything about Pioneer PCM conversion into DSD to feed the DAC like Marantz SA10, Esoteric...for example. Of course, these are high ends players, other league. Here, an universal player with classical approach of PCM (no DSD conversion). A decent player for CDs, SACDs...nothing more.

Of course, bitstream DSD into an external DAC could improve the outcome. If you have one already. If not maybe is better to buy a CD/SACD player and a UHD player separately. Listening music and watching movies/concerts...2 devices...not all in one like in universal player. Some people are looking for an integrated solution - universal player. It is fine, but they must accept the limitations.

Another approach is to send the stock unit for improvement, only video modification or both. Scarce info about this. Not too many guys or exclusive discussions (not on forums)...I do not know...

In my case, I am waiting CES 2020 to see which are the new/improved players...then, to replace my actual universal player. Thanks.

Last edited by Mike RO; 11-09-2019 at 10:01 PM.
post #915 of 939 Old 11-10-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RO View Post
I didn’t read anything about Pioneer PCM conversion into DSD to feed the DAC like Marantz SA10, Esoteric...for example. Of course, these are high ends players, other league. Here, an universal player with classical approach of PCM (no DSD conversion). A decent player for CDs, SACDs...nothing more.

Of course, bitstream DSD into an external DAC could improve the outcome. If you have one already. If not maybe is better to buy a CD/SACD player and a UHD player separately. Listening music and watching movies/concerts...2 devices...not all in one like in universal player. Some people are looking for an integrated solution - universal player. It is fine, but they must accept the limitations.

Another approach is to send the stock unit for improvement, only video modification or both. Scarce info about this. Not too many guys or exclusive discussions (not on forums)...I do not know...

In my case, I am waiting CES 2020 to see which are the new/improved players...then, to replace my actual universal player. Thanks.
Don’t understand your first part. But to output analog through RCA or balanced must
always be decoded. This must be done on any player, including higher end ones.
Or are you talking about DAC features?

The LX800 has the very same DAC board that their high end PD-70AE SACD player
has. This player was made in cooperation with Esoteric. It has gotten some fantastic
reviews. In comparison LX800 almost reaches the PD-70AE in SQ.. But as this is a
dedicated SACD/CD player in the high end class I would be surpriced if LX800 did
sound better or even the same.. But LX800 can atleast do playback of the multi ch
part of SACD. Of course, any universal player will be a compromise of some sort.
Although LX800 is almost silly good engineering, to a point that it must be very
hard to sell.. There are far more audiophiles than videophiles willing to pay premium.

I did have an Oppo UDP-203 and a really good CD player before. Not in the super
high end class but a €1000 price range. IMO the LX800 sounds better.

In my case I have gone from integrated AVR to separares. I also used to have
a dedicated 2ch preamp fully analog. To keep or even better the sound quality
of both multi channel and 2ch with one player and one prepro I had to go up
considerably in price. I’m very satisfied now, with less devices.

post #916 of 939 Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Don’t understand your first part. But to output analog through RCA or balanced must
always be decoded. This must be done on any player, including higher end ones.
Or are you talking about DAC features?

The LX800 has the very same DAC board that their high end PD-70AE SACD player
has. This player was made in cooperation with Esoteric. It has gotten some fantastic
reviews. In comparison LX800 almost reaches the PD-70AE in SQ.. But as this is a
dedicated SACD/CD player in the high end class I would be surpriced if LX800 did
sound better or even the same.. But LX800 can atleast do playback of the multi ch
part of SACD. Of course, any universal player will be a compromise of some sort.
Although LX800 is almost silly good engineering, to a point that it must be very
hard to sell.. There are far more audiophiles than videophiles willing to pay premium.

I did have an Oppo UDP-203 and a really good CD player before. Not in the super
high end class but a €1000 price range. IMO the LX800 sounds better.

In my case I have gone from integrated AVR to separares. I also used to have
a dedicated 2ch preamp fully analog. To keep or even better the sound quality
of both multi channel and 2ch with one player and one prepro I had to go up
considerably in price. I’m very satisfied now, with less devices.
Hi,
Interesting. I did not know that PD-70 AE was developed with Esoteric engineers. Yes, the reviews are very good. Highly recommended SACD player.

Regarding to DAC, I am talking about strategy to improve sound outcome. One is to send PCM to DAC and the other one is to convert PCM into DSD and, then, send it to DAC. The 2nd option it seems to be superior to 1st one. With other words, CDs are transformed into SACD before DAC.
Thanks

Last edited by Mike RO; 11-11-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #917 of 939 Old 11-11-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Interesting. I did not know that PD-70 AE was developed with Esoteric engineers. Yes, the reviews are very good. Highly recommended SACD player.

Regarding to DAC, I am talking about strategy to improve sound outcome. One is to send PCM to DAC and the other one is to convert PCM into DSD and, then, send it to DAC. The 2nd option it seems to be superior to 1st one. With other words, CDs are transformed into SACD before DAC.
Thanks
But is that not depending on DAC used in the player? Some are handling PCM better and
other DSD. The thing about DSD is that the player cannot do ANY processing on the sound.
Making it ultra pure.
I have no idea how Pioneer are using the dual ESS 9026 in this regard.

But anyway.. Is it really better to convert PCM to DSD and then back to PCM analog out
again? I would think keeping the signal original/native as long as possible into the DAC
would be optimal.

post #918 of 939 Old 11-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Found an issue network streaming mkv HD movies encoded with Dolby ATMOS. I get the Audio Format not supported error. Movies: John Wick, Ready Player One.

Hopefully this can be fixed in the next firmware update.
Any word on a fix?

And is there some reason that most of the UHD players can't do this? The Panasonic 820 and 9000 both can play MKV over a network, but not with TrueHD or DTSX.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #919 of 939 Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
But is that not depending on DAC used in the player? Some are handling PCM better and
other DSD. The thing about DSD is that the player cannot do ANY processing on the sound.
Making it ultra pure.
I have no idea how Pioneer are using the dual ESS 9026 in this regard.

But anyway.. Is it really better to convert PCM to DSD and then back to PCM analog out
again? I would think keeping the signal original/native as long as possible into the DAC
would be optimal.
The general rule is to use a cd player (PCM) if your music is stored on CDs. If you have many SACDs (DSD) you must have a SACD player.
As a general rule SACDs sounds better versus CDs. IMO.

Alternatively a transport and a separate DAC. For PCM is easy, but for SACD is complicated because few spinners could sent DSD package data to audio out for separate DAC which must have similar audio in. But there are...expensive...

Meanwhile Marantz, Esoteric...observed many years ago that if your converts PCM into DSD before feeding the internal DAC the outcome is better. There is no PCM conversion back. As I said CD becomes SACD. I do not know is only marketing or a true approach.

LX 800 has not such option to convert PCM signal into DSD data package before ESS DAC. Also it can not send DSD to external DAC. It is an universal player.

Do you listen CD or SACD or both? Which is better on LX 800? CD or SACD? I am curious.
Via RCA or XLR? Did you find any difference?
Thanks.
post #920 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only way to send SACD to an external DAC is with an AVR that can decode DSD from HDMI. McIntosh players have a proprietary connection that sends DSD through that connection, but only to McIntosh integrated amps. Those are the only two methods I know.

post #921 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
The general rule is to use a cd player (PCM) if your music is stored on CDs. If you have many SACDs (DSD) you must have a SACD player.
As a general rule SACDs sounds better versus CDs. IMO.

Alternatively a transport and a separate DAC. For PCM is easy, but for SACD is complicated because few spinners could sent DSD package data to audio out for separate DAC which must have similar audio in. But there are...expensive...

Meanwhile Marantz, Esoteric...observed many years ago that if your converts PCM into DSD before feeding the internal DAC the outcome is better. There is no PCM conversion back. As I said CD becomes SACD. I do not know is only marketing or a true approach.

LX 800 has not such option to convert PCM signal into DSD data package before ESS DAC. Also it can not send DSD to external DAC. It is an universal player.

Do you listen CD or SACD or both? Which is better on LX 800? CD or SACD? I am curious.
Via RCA or XLR? Did you find any difference?
Thanks.
Well, LX800 can send DSD native through HDMI. My prepro has a DSD direct mode.
It uses the AKM4490 in HQ mono mode, one chip per channel (all 16!).
It has no info if it does any pcm to dsd internally before reaching the dacs.
Again, converting to DSD could be better but should depend on DAC and how it handles
the formats internally.

I have my LX800 connected with a balanced and two hdmi cables.
Use the main hdmi for movies and blurays..
Then the balanced analog out if I want LX800 to do the decoding, DSD to analog and whatever.
The second hdmi I use with the pure audio mode to transport my music digitally to the prepro.

I listen to both formats. Although I have not that many SACDs.
Normally SACD sound better, a little clearer and a bit more dynamic.
But it depends on the recording.
I like both balanced out and direct transport. For some music types I like the analog
for others I prefer the transport. They’re two different dacs, but both are fully balanced
constructions.
There are very small differences. Mainly a sense or feeling that you prefer one over the
other.

The discs that I have in SACD have a small difference if I switch between SACD and
CD mode. But not so big that you notice it unless you switch on the fly.

post #922 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
A question about LX800. I do not own LX800 just trying to understand if this fits.

Curious if this would be an option to play SACD multichannel or any hi res multichannel.
Playing multichannel using balanced analog outputs for L and R channels and an HDMI Audio de-embedder (connected to HDMI second output) that has some simple, not high quality DACs, to get the analog audio for the rest of the channels.
This would give the best quality analog outputs for L and R, the ones that make the most impact, and sacrificing audio quality for other channels, and not require to buy an expensive Emotive RMC-1 type of DAC.

I am afraid that this would not be a valid option due to time delay introduced through HDMI link.
post #923 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Well, LX800 can send DSD native through HDMI. My prepro has a DSD direct mode.
It uses the AKM4490 in HQ mono mode, one chip per channel (all 16!).
It has no info if it does any pcm to dsd internally before reaching the dacs.
Again, converting to DSD could be better but should depend on DAC and how it handles
the formats internally.

I have my LX800 connected with a balanced and two hdmi cables.
Use the main hdmi for movies and blurays..
Then the balanced analog out if I want LX800 to do the decoding, DSD to analog and whatever.
The second hdmi I use with the pure audio mode to transport my music digitally to the prepro.

I listen to both formats. Although I have not that many SACDs.
Normally SACD sound better, a little clearer and a bit more dynamic.
But it depends on the recording.
I like both balanced out and direct transport. For some music types I like the analog
for others I prefer the transport. They’re two different dacs, but both are fully balanced
constructions.
There are very small differences. Mainly a sense or feeling that you prefer one over the
other.

The discs that I have in SACD have a small difference if I switch between SACD and
CD mode. But not so big that you notice it unless you switch on the fly.
For sure not PCM conversion into DSD before feeding internal LX 800 DAC.

It is good that you can send DSD package to preamp and use its DACs.

Regarding to your connectivity set up is not similar with mine. My main HDMI is going to line preamp to see the device on TV for settings and second HDMI only for multichannel audio listening. In the end is the same result - AV separation via HDMIs to increase the quality of image/sound.

For stereo, via RCAs. I do not have XLR between player and line preamp. Better than HDMI.
post #924 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post
A question about LX800. I do not own LX800 just trying to understand if this fits.

Curious if this would be an option to play SACD multichannel or any hi res multichannel.
Playing multichannel using balanced analog outputs for L and R channels and an HDMI Audio de-embedder (connected to HDMI second output) that has some simple, not high quality DACs, to get the analog audio for the rest of the channels.
This would give the best quality analog outputs for L and R, the ones that make the most impact, and sacrificing audio quality for other channels, and not require to buy an expensive Emotive RMC-1 type of DAC.

I am afraid that this would not be a valid option due to time delay introduced through HDMI link.
I did not hear about this modality. I do not think so LX 800 could do this.
I think is audio analogue out or digital out.

Front L and R leaded by a stereo amp and the rest of speakers by receiver is OK. When the receiver is entry level, not powerful enough...
post #925 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have powerful enough 5-channel power amp (prepro), the issue is the DAC.

The problem is: when the OPPO 205 is discontinued, what other universal player to get in order to have the high quality analog L and R channels. But also have available the rest of multichannel analog and pass them to prepro, without buying an expensive DAC/processor.

If LX 800, in addition to balanced L and R would also have the lower end multichannel analog stage like OPPO 93/103/203, that would be interesting.
post #926 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:

For playing multi channel SACD it’s for sure an option. It’s probably one of the best
around. But you pay alot extra for its analog board.
The only way (normally) to transport DSD multi channel is through hdmi. The Pure audio mode
on LX800 is ideal because it shuts down all video circuits and does a clean audio
transfer. Making the time delay (jitter) problem almost mute.
Although for only playing multi channel SACD or any other digitally transported stuff
it will not have a huge leap from the LX500 which has the same features except the
analog board and the Pure audio transport mode. It has a normal second hdmi port
”audio only” option, which keeps the video circuits on.

I don’t think it’s worth the hassle to separate the channels the way you explain.
Just keep 2ch through analog out and multi channel through hdmi.

Btw LX800 also does a direct mode for its analog out, this also shuts down the video
circuits.

The nice thing about RMC-1 is its pure analog pass-through when using its analog
inputs. It has fantastic sound quality, even in 2ch. Not many multi channel processors
or AVRs has.. That good 2ch SQ!

post #927 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
For sure not PCM conversion into DSD before feeding internal LX 800 DAC.

It is good that you can send DSD package to preamp and use its DACs.

Regarding to your connectivity set up is not similar with mine. My main HDMI is going to line preamp to see the device on TV for settings and second HDMI only for multichannel audio listening. In the end is the same result - AV separation via HDMIs to increase the quality of image/sound.

For stereo, via RCAs. I do not have XLR between player and line preamp. Better than HDMI.
I think LX800 feeds the DAC DSD (SACD) directly because the ESS DACs support this.

I have a TV and a projector connected. I don’t want to separate the video and audio
because it makes it alot more complcated with more devices.
To separate audio, multi channels or 2ch, is simple..

Yes, but hdmi should not be compared to RCA analog.. Compare it to toslink or coax
S/PDIF connections instead. Digital vs digital and Analog vs analog :-)
HDMI only makes it easier to send A/V together, not necessarily better.
But what choice do we have?

post #928 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I did not hear about this modality. I do not think so LX 800 could do this.
I think is audio analogue out or digital out.

Front L and R leaded by a stereo amp and the rest of speakers by receiver is OK. When the receiver is entry level, not powerful enough...
You have three modes in LX800.
1. Off - Video on, analog on and digital audio on.
2. Direct - Only analog audio out.
3. Transport - Video on, digital audio on, analog audio off.
HDMI modes with Transport.
Single - Video and audio through main hdmi output.
Separate - Video through main and audio through second output.
Pure audio - Video off and audio out through second output.

post #929 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I have powerful enough 5-channel power amp (prepro), the issue is the DAC.

The problem is: when the OPPO 205 is discontinued, what other universal player to get in order to have the high quality analog L and R channels. But also have available the rest of multichannel analog and pass them to prepro, without buying an expensive DAC/processor.

If LX 800, in addition to balanced L and R would also have the lower end multichannel analog stage like OPPO 93/103/203, that would be interesting.
LX800 have better 2ch sound than Oppo 205.
It has better build quality, better video and even better digital audio IMO.
But firmware support, the system and such things are another matter.

The problem with connecting higher end players to low/mid end stuff is that you
will probably not see or hear the higher quality. Because they probably degrade
the sound (video uses passthrough) back to the level it can handle.

Yes they chose not to have analog 7.1 out. Probably because most people don’t
use it anymore. Although Panasonic UB9000 do have them. But will not play SACD
or DVD audio. Also not as good 2ch analog output. Otherwise a fantastic player.

post #930 of 939 Old 11-12-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
LX800 have better 2ch sound than Oppo 205.
It has better build quality, better video and even better digital audio IMO.
But firmware support, the system and such things are another matter.

The problem with connecting higher end players to low/mid end stuff is that you
will probably not see or hear the higher quality. Because they probably degrade
the sound (video uses passthrough) back to the level it can handle.

Yes they chose not to have analog 7.1 out. Probably because most people don’t
use it anymore. Although Panasonic UB9000 do have them. But will not play SACD
or DVD audio. Also not as good 2ch analog output. Otherwise a fantastic player.
Me with 2 friends we have tested Sony 1100 ES with Panasonic 9000 (my friend owner), and both Oppo 205 & LX 800.

I confirm that LX 800 sounds better than Oppo in analogue section. We have tested only analogue, because none of us are listening digital music via HDMI, except concerts...
Compared to 9000 the difference is narrowing in favor of LX 800 and depends on preferences.

In the end the guy with Oppo who wanted to replace it keep 9000 due to analogue multichannel option. In addition, the video outcome is by far the best alternative nowadays. THX and HDR settings...make the difference. He has separate SACD player, no issue...and no DVDa in library...

Last edited by Mike RO; 11-12-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page