Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 551Likes

post #121 of 838 Old 12-06-2018, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Does this player have any sort of tone mapping like the Panasonic 820 and does it have the ability to play 4K MKV file and bit stream the audio?
I'd like to know if it has any tone mapping capabilities as well.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 838 Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
I think it's silly/stupid of Pioneer to not make the player more available
I'm in Europe (Denmark) and no dealers have it
Now I'll buy the Panasonic UB9000 instead
I'm in Canada and got a Pioneer UDP-LX 500 on October 18th after waiting for a month for it to come in. I was told that Pioneer didn't expect the demand to be so great and the first shipment was sold out immediately.

I ordered another unit on October 31st and I'm told that unit has now cleared customs and I should have it next week. Yes, 6 week wait for the 2nd shipment!

It still seems that the UDP-LX 800 will not be available to North America at this time but I'll ask again when I get the unit next week.

Last edited by teachsac; 12-08-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Price talk
post #123 of 838 Old 12-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketstail View Post
I'm in Canada and got a Pioneer UDP-LX 500 on October 18th after waiting for a month for it to come in. I was told that Pioneer didn't expect the demand to be so great and the first shipment was sold out immediately.

I ordered another unit on October 31st and I'm told that unit has now cleared customs and I should have it next week. Yes, 6 week wait for the 2nd shipment!

It still seems that the UDP-LX 800 will not be available to North America at this time but I'll ask again when I get the unit next week.
Congrats on getting your unit! Unfortunately, I was told that my order won't be fulfilled until January. I called the vendor again and the update they gave me was that Pioneer expects that all orders should be filled by then.

Last edited by teachsac; 12-08-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Price talk in quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 838 Old 12-08-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
I think it's silly/stupid of Pioneer to not make the player more available
I'm in Europe (Denmark) and no dealers have it
Now I'll buy the Panasonic UB9000 instead
One more thing is that when I bought the Pioneer the Panasonic was not available yet and they didn't know how much it would cost. Now it seems the Panasonic is $200+ more than the Pioneer so that's just more than I want to pay.
post #125 of 838 Old 12-09-2018, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I picked up this player today and am surprised to discover there's no quick and easy way to switch from time elapsed to time remaining. Pushing the DISPLAY button brings up the default time elapsed counter but unlike many other players, pressing the DISPLAY button again does not change the time counter to time remaining. To see time remaining, you must press the FUNCTION key on the remote and make your way through the menu tree to the time counter option. I can't understand why accessing this useful bit of information requires so many steps. Am I missing a quick and easy way to get this info? The UI is also missing a progress bar that pops up as you fast forward or rewind, a graphical element that helps approximate how far you've gone. My very early impression is that the hardware build quality of the player is top notch, far exceeding the Oppo 203 that I also have, but some aspects of the user interface are puzzling. There are also things i like very much like having a dedicated button on the remote that turns HDR on and off.

Last edited by peterlee; 12-10-2018 at 08:32 AM.
post #126 of 838 Old 12-10-2018, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post
I picked up this player today and am surprised to discover there's no quick and easy way to switch from time elapsed to time remaining.
This simple basic function is missing. You aren't doing anything wrong. Weird omission by Pioneer I must admit.

NAD M17 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #127 of 838 Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
I picked up this player today and am surprised to discover there's no quick and easy way to switch from time elapsed to time remaining. Pushing the DISPLAY button brings up the default time elapsed counter but unlike many other players, pressing the DISPLAY button again does not change the time counter to time remaining. To see time remaining, you must press the FUNCTION key on the remote and make your way through the menu tree to the time counter option. I can't understand why accessing this useful bit of information requires so many steps. Am I missing a quick and easy way to get this info? The UI is also missing a progress bar that pops up as you fast forward or rewind, a graphical element that helps approximate how far you've gone. My very early impression is that the hardware build quality of the player is top notch, far exceeding the Oppo 203 that I also have, but some aspects of the user interface are puzzling. There are also things i like very much like having a dedicated button on the remote that turns HDR on and off.

If you hit pause during playback, a progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen with time remaining. I do miss the OPPO display button giving you time remaining. Oh well, just a different more inconvenient way of doing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #128 of 838 Old 12-10-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

What makes this even worse is when you do press Function to bring up that menu display and go into Time to select time remaining it doesn’t keep that selection so when you go back later and press function again you also have to go into time again and select remaining again.

That’s a lot of button presses just to see something that should be easily displayed

This is one of the few complaints I have with this player

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 12-10-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #129 of 838 Old 12-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
What makes this even worse is when you do press Function to bring up that menu display and go into Time to select time remaining it doesn’t keep that selection so when you go back later and press function again you also have to go into time again and select remaining again.

That’s a lot of button presses just to see something that should be easily displayed

This is one of the few complaints I have with this player

Also, there’s no way to set the screen to black if you’re hearing music. For this you have to go the Pure Audio mode with 2 HDMI cables. And Pure Audio does not sound the same as Single cable.

post #130 of 838 Old 12-10-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
Also, there’s no way to set the screen to black if you’re hearing music. For this you have to go the Pure Audio mode with 2 HDMI cables. And Pure Audio does not sound the same as Single cable.

There is a work around if you use analog out of Pioneer for music and your receiver allows you to select another video source.

I no longer use the Pioneer for music but when I did I used the analog outs to my Marantz which allowed me to select an HDMI input to display. In this scenario I would play music from Pioneer through analog and then select my Fire Stick input for Video which would go into screen saver mode and eventually black screen without anything playing.

This is a nice feature when watching sports but want to listen to music.

-
post #131 of 838 Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2216 Post(s)
Liked: 3399
Quote:
Do past Pioneer disc players have an easier way to change from elapsed time to time remaining? If they do and you have a universal remote maybe you could get those codes and try them on the LX 500. It would bother me as well that this very common feature is so difficult to access with the LX 500. I was just checking the time remaining with a disc playing on my Oppo 205. Just a few clicks of a button on my Harmony 688 shows time elapsed and time remaining on the disc and the track that's currently playing.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #132 of 838 Old 12-11-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Does this player have any sort of tone mapping like the Panasonic 820 and does it have the ability to play 4K MKV file and bit stream the audio?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
I'd like to know if it has any tone mapping capabilities as well.
Nobody?

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #133 of 838 Old 12-11-2018, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george1906 View Post
If you hit pause during playback, a progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen with time remaining.
Just to correct you a bit here; the progress bar you mention is a feature on certain discs - it's content dependent and has nothing to do with the player.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)

Last edited by RickyDeg; 12-12-2018 at 09:04 PM.
post #134 of 838 Old 12-11-2018, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Do past Pioneer disc players have an easier way to change from elapsed time to time remaining?
One of my co-workers own the BDP-LX58 and says it doesn't have the feature either. Not been unable to confirm this though.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #135 of 838 Old 12-11-2018, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Nobody?
I see lots of folks asking this on various forums but few owners with this player appear to have projectors (?). "Tone mapping" is something useful with projectors only I assume? Wish I could help you here. Send a Q to Pioneer Support perhaps...?

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #136 of 838 Old 12-11-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
I see lots of folks asking this on various forums but few owners with this player appear to have projectors (?). "Tone mapping" is something useful with projectors only I assume? Wish I could help you here. Send a Q to Pioneer Support perhaps...?
I suppose you are correct. From the looks of things only a handful of people here actually own this machine, and it's quite possible none of them are projector users. I've asked the question to Pioneer support before, but received no reply.

post #137 of 838 Old 12-12-2018, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Do past Pioneer disc players have an easier way to change from elapsed time to time remaining?
One of my co-workers own the BDP-LX58 and says it doesn't have the feature either. Not been unable to confirm this though.
I have the 88 and it also does not switch. You have to go into that same menu.
post #138 of 838 Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I got the second LX500 yesterday so I'm all set for two TV's.

You can access the time remaining easily by the function button on the remote. Just go to the "Time" on the menu list.

If you have the manual it lists the menu list and explains them on page 33.

post #139 of 838 Old 12-12-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I'd sure like to know the answer to that myself. I put in a question to pioneer on their US support page. I had a simple on sentence question. "Do you plan to have any US inventory available in the near future?'' Kinda a snarky question I know, but jeez. Of course, I have not gotten an answer.
Yesterday I finally did get an answer from Pioneer to this question. They quoted me three sources of authorized dealers who are currently selling them. One does not have them in stock and is only taking pre orders for availability in mid to late january, the other one has a canned answer on availability that it 'usually leaves the warehouse in 3-7 business days', meaning they have and have had no stock for a while. The other oddly enough does have some limited stock. I responded to the answer pointing out their misrepresentation of available stock and thanking them for the one that does indeed have some limited stock, but pointed out after this long, I may have lost interest and am looking at dedicated cd/sacd players.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #140 of 838 Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can access the time remaining easily by the function button on the remote. Just go to the "Time" on the menu list.
By my estimation that is not a quick and easy way of getting this info compared to many other machines.
T-smith likes this.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #141 of 838 Old 12-12-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
By my estimation that is not a quick and easy way of getting this info compared to many other machines.
This takes maybe 5 seconds to check remaining time. Not sure if I'd even use that function much if ever. I'm still checking out the players and will see how they sound with CD's and SACD's. I still need to find a player that will play my Region 2 discs so maybe an LX800 from UK? It could be used in my main system to also play CD's and SACD's. I know Pioneer Canada would never just bring in one unit because they have to be CSA or UL approved.
post #142 of 838 Old 12-12-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This takes maybe 5 seconds to check remaining time.

Issue isn’t that it’s hard or takes a lot of time but more of a pain requiring multiple button presses when it really should be just one.

Requiring a user to go into a menu and then make additional selections for something as simple as time remaining is a terrible design.

Bill Mac, RickyDeg and Trell like this.

-
post #143 of 838 Old 12-13-2018, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Does this player turn on when off by just hitting the play button on the remote ? The oppo-203 was the first player i have own that does not do this. Makes no sense.
post #144 of 838 Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
Does this player turn on when off by just hitting the play button on the remote ? The oppo-203 was the first player i have own that does not do this. Makes no sense.
Yes it does.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #145 of 838 Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Here is the latest related to our LX500/800.

Troy LaMont, Aja, RickyDeg and 1 others like this.
post #146 of 838 Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
Here is the latest related to our LX500/800.

This is great news!
Fingers crossed basic functionality like easy display of time elapsed and the dimming issue will get a fix as well. After all those ought to be easily done.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #147 of 838 Old 12-13-2018, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"SDR/HDR Preset Mode for Optimal Performance for the Display
In addition to the video parameter “Reference” for reproducing the original master quality, you can select “LCD TV,” “OLED TV,” or “Projector”for the video quality best suited to your display. Additionally, there are SDR/HDR presets for each video parameter, that automatically switches between SDR preset and HDR preset according to the output signal."

Does this mean it has tone mapping, but it's fixed and not dynamic like the Panasonics?

post #148 of 838 Old 12-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 173

Hi all

Can some owners give me some advice please? Currently have the Oppo 203, looking into getting the Pioneer.

What I would like to know is how does the Pioneer compare when it comes usb playback from a hard drive?
Does it have the capability also does it support most file formats like MKV etc...!

Thanks Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Phil1975m; 12-14-2018 at 02:40 PM.
post #149 of 838 Old 12-15-2018, 11:57 AM

Liked: 15
If anyone would like to give their impressions or review on PQ, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
post #150 of 838 Old 12-16-2018, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1975m View Post
Hi all

Can some owners give me some advice please? Currently have the Oppo 203, looking into getting the Pioneer.

What I would like to know is how does the Pioneer compare when it comes usb playback from a hard drive?
Does it have the capability also does it support most file formats like MKV etc...!

Thanks Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
there is a table in the manual on file formats in the manual. The following video formats are in the table.

avi, mp4, wmv, 3gp, flv. It's surprising there is no mkv since that is a popular ripped format.
Phil1975m likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page