Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 578Likes

post #151 of 939 Old 12-16-2018, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7zombie View Post
If anyone would like to give their impressions or review on PQ, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
There's always my personal review in the OP
T-smith and Trell like this.

NAD M17 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 939 Old 12-16-2018, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Well I’ve decided on the Pioneer trading in my Oppo-203.
Should have it for Wednesday this week.
Could of got it sooner but I’m on holiday from the 19th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #153 of 939 Old 12-16-2018, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I guess I won't be buying an LX800 from UK. Not sure if VAT is included in the dealers selling price. I think I found the lowest price but even if VAT isn't included it would end up costing 3 times as much as I paid for the LX500 with the shipping and tax. Now that's just crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 939 Old 12-16-2018, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketstail View Post
I guess I won't be buying an LX800 from UK. Not sure if VAT is included in the dealers selling price. I think I found the lowest price but even if VAT isn't included it would end up costing 3 times as much as I paid for the LX500 with the shipping and tax. Now that's just crazy.
It is possible that you do not have to pay VAT when importing to Canada from an EU member country.

As an example the site NKON.nl has more info about VAT for their customers, so possibly the dealer you buy the LX500/LX800 from can offer similar option.

https://eu.nkon.nl/vat:

Quote:
About VAT

Customers from outside the EU can order on ru.nkon.nl without VAT. Let us know if your country is not there, we can ship worldwide.

For EU companies: if you have a valid vat id we can well with 0% VAT. Please create an account with billing and shipping address. Send us an email with your VAT-id and we will check it and update your account to 0% VAT. Italian companies registered after 2009: make sure your VAT-id is in the EU VIES database, otherwise we can not check the id. This is not done automatically in Italy.

EU customers pay VAT. Prices are including VAT. There are no custom duties in the EU, so prices are final, no extra costs.
post #155 of 939 Old 12-19-2018, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell View Post
It is possible that you do not have to pay VAT when importing to Canada from an EU member country.

As an example the site NKON.nl has more info about VAT for their customers, so possibly the dealer you buy the LX500/LX800 from can offer similar option.

https://eu.nkon.nl/vat:
Yes, I realize I wouldn't be paying VAT from UK. It's just that many dealers are trying to sell these players for full MSRP. I know what my local audio store dealer pays for an LX500 and he gave me a good deal. Someone messaged me where he bought an LX500 and is still waiting. The price was way more than I paid and that's just really crazy too!
post #156 of 939 Old 12-20-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
Does this player turn on when off by just hitting the play button on the remote ? The oppo-203 was the first player i have own that does not do this. Makes no sense.
There is no "Play" button on the 203 but instead there is an "Open" button which opens the tray, turns on my Sony Z9 tv and Denon 4300H receiver waiting for my Resume or No command. Pretty easy for me. Not trying to derail the thread but looking for an additional player such as this or Panasonic or may wait for a Universal Player.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio

Last edited by davehale; 12-21-2018 at 01:38 PM.
post #157 of 939 Old 12-20-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
Does this player turn on when off by just hitting the play button on the remote ? The oppo-203 was the first player i have own that does not do this. Makes no sense.

There is a Play / Pause button on the remote and the unit does turn on when you press it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post
There is no "Play" button but instead there is an "Open" button which opens the tray, turns on my Sony Z9 tv and Denon 4300H receiver waiting for my Resume or No command. Pretty easy for me. Not trying to derail the thread but looking for an additional player such as this or Panasonic or may wait for a Universal Player.

Not sure what you are looking at but there is a Play / Pause button on the remote of this player.

What kind of player wouldn’t have a Play button on the remote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #158 of 939 Old 01-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone any advice on adding a board to enable hdmi input sadly missing from my LX800. I need to access apps badly from this machine and need to find a techie who can do this...otherwise it’s square one with Chromecast UltraHD direct to the AV Pre and through that DAC. Anyone ever overcome this lack of input through mod? Thanks.
post #159 of 939 Old 01-08-2019, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi, forgive my English but I use the translator. I have been testing the 800 model for three days and was surprised by the lack of a wireless network connection module, considering the premium price of the player.
The build quality is excellent, the design is classic of pioneer products and the weight is considerable.
Compared to the Oppo 205, 2ch audio shows more detail and more naturalness. On the video side I did not see any difference, it seems slightly more marked on the pioneer the magenta tonality.
Always compared to the Oppo 800, setting menus have fewer options, although for my setting I have found everything I need.
Problems: Ready Player One UHD stopped twice in the same place (about 1:43:00), the third time the reading continued without problems. There is also a micro video jerkiness, seen at most 3 times while watching a movie, perhaps the result of an imperfect compatibility between Pioneer 800 and Marantz AV8805-Metz Novum Oled (this problem has never been detected with Oppo 205) .
post #160 of 939 Old 01-09-2019, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Does the LX500 work with my SONY 930E TV-DV Low Latency profile-

Before I purchase the LX500 I would first need to know if it works with my SONY 4K TV (my 65 inch 930E) and it's Dolby Vision implementation-Low Latency profile.
I believe I read somewhere that it works with Dolby Vision/Low Latency profile on SONY 4K Tv's

Please respond.
post #161 of 939 Old 01-09-2019, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Control4 Network Standby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Before I purchase the LX500 I would first need to know if it works with my SONY 4K TV (my 65 inch 930E) and it's Dolby Vision implementation-Low Latency profile.
I believe I read somewhere that it works with Dolby Vision/Low Latency profile on SONY 4K Tv's

Please respond.
I am installing in to a Control4 system in our demo room. I think the picture is great and everything is awesome. I had to use an old IP driver but all is good. Well everything but the system does not stay on the network to be able to turn it back on. Anyone else set it up the LX500 to a control4 setup?
post #162 of 939 Old 01-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yes I have it connected to a Sony XBR-85900F Picture is great.
aflorida likes this.
post #163 of 939 Old 01-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First of all please apologize my inherent language errors since I"m not a native English speaker. I need a little help to make my decision for purchasing the Pioneer. Since I own (and owned) many Pioneer audio equipment I must admit I'm somehow biased on this brand. But, from what I read in the User Manual, I'm still not convinced this choice is right. Firstly, the external USB drive limitation to FAT16 and FAT32. Therefore, No NTFS. I also own a PIO N70AE network player which have the same limitation. For an audio player is not a big issue since even a DSD audio file is in most cases less then the 2GB limit of FAT32. But, for a universal player, I think it is a major drawback. I really can't understand Pioneer for this decision implemented in a 2018 player which is not exactly a price bargain model. The Panasonic UB820, UB9000, the Oppo 203 or the Sony X1000 and others don't have this limitation. Another issue is the lack of a wireless adapter. I cannot buy the argument with the RF interference, purity of reproduction etc. I don't want to offense but, it looks like pure bull****. After all, the rest of high spec'ed players (and possible better performing) do have the wireless option and I assume they don't have a magic potion which cure the RF noise added by the WiFi module.
I think all is about production cost saving and profit maximization. Please judge yourself: in the Pioneer N70AE high resolution, TOTL audio network player, there is a WLAN adapter, they cannot avoid it simply because is after all a network capable piece of equipment and without it they cannot justify its reason of existence...and surprise: NO problems with interferences. But, of course, even in its case is another trick: no BT module. Why? according to Pioneer - minimizing the interferences. Same bull**** for most likely, the same goal: cost savings. I 'm really disappointed that a brand like Pioneer took this path to treat their customers with this kind of arguments.
Despite these issues, I'm still strongly considering to buy it, therefore I'm gladly awaiting arguments to contradict my opinions regarding the above mentioned issues. Also, is it possible that a firmware update to address the missing NTFS support issue? Do you think it is a hardware or software limitation?
post #164 of 939 Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 AM

The problem of the wireless network module is solved with a low-power ethernet adapter that can be connected to a USB port on the back. I can think of examples like netgear wnce 2001/3001 (out of production) or tp-link TL-WR802N. It is certainly not the ideal solution and deals with a USB pres, but if you can not use a wired network is the only solution.
post #165 of 939 Old 01-11-2019, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormglass View Post
First of all please apologize my inherent language errors since I"m not a native English speaker. I need a little help to make my decision for purchasing the Pioneer. Since I own (and owned) many Pioneer audio equipment I must admit I'm somehow biased on this brand. But, from what I read in the User Manual, I'm still not convinced this choice is right. Firstly, the external USB drive limitation to FAT16 and FAT32. Therefore, No NTFS. I also own a PIO N70AE network player which have the same limitation. For an audio player is not a big issue since even a DSD audio file is in most cases less then the 2GB limit of FAT32. But, for a universal player, I think it is a major drawback. I really can't understand Pioneer for this decision implemented in a 2018 player which is not exactly a price bargain model. The Panasonic UB820, UB9000, the Oppo 203 or the Sony X1000 and others don't have this limitation. Another issue is the lack of a wireless adapter. I cannot buy the argument with the RF interference, purity of reproduction etc. I don't want to offense but, it looks like pure bull****. After all, the rest of high spec'ed players (and possible better performing) do have the wireless option and I assume they don't have a magic potion which cure the RF noise added by the WiFi module.
I think all is about production cost saving and profit maximization. Please judge yourself: in the Pioneer N70AE high resolution, TOTL audio network player, there is a WLAN adapter, they cannot avoid it simply because is after all a network capable piece of equipment and without it they cannot justify its reason of existence...and surprise: NO problems with interferences. But, of course, even in its case is another trick: no BT module. Why? according to Pioneer - minimizing the interferences. Same bull**** for most likely, the same goal: cost savings. I 'm really disappointed that a brand like Pioneer took this path to treat their customers with this kind of arguments.
Despite these issues, I'm still strongly considering to buy it, therefore I'm gladly awaiting arguments to contradict my opinions regarding the above mentioned issues. Also, is it possible that a firmware update to address the missing NTFS support issue? Do you think it is a hardware or software limitation?

You have a couple of options. A wireless access point, which I used with an older Denon AVR without wireless when I had it. You could also use powerline ethernet adapters.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #166 of 939 Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a old blu-ray Wonders of the Solar System, and i watched it for about 5 seconds and noticed some heavy stutter, first i thought my tv had some kind motion interpolation activated somehow, but it was not activated. I used the video info on the pioneer and found out the disk was in 1080/50i, then it all made sense. Since my pioneer is setup to 4k/24P. I changed it to 4K in the settings menu and it ran butter smooth. Then i noticed there was some random white video artifacts here and there and occasionally there is a total black screen for a couple of seconds.
I thought maybe it was just was a bad HDMI cable or disk error, so i began testing with I am legend a regular blu-ray in 1080/24P, and experienced exactly the same issue. Apparently the 4K setting on the pioneer is allways 60 HZ so it will do a 3:2 Pulldown when its 24P content. But Strangely enough mission impossible rogue nation on UHD does not exhibits that error. So Maybe the player cant or does not upscale movies below 4k in 3:2 Pulldown, IMO 3:2 pulldown should not introduce random screen blackouts and video artefacts or am i somehow wrong.
post #167 of 939 Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Dehn View Post
I have a old blu-ray Wonders of the Solar System, and i watched it for about 5 seconds and noticed some heavy stutter, first i thought my tv had some kind motion interpolation activated somehow, but it was not activated. I used the video info on the pioneer and found out the disk was in 1080/50i, then it all made sense. Since my pioneer is setup to 4k/24P. I changed it to 4K in the settings menu and it ran butter smooth. Then i noticed there was some random white video artifacts here and there and occasionally there is a total black screen for a couple of seconds.

I thought maybe it was just was a bad HDMI cable or disk error, so i began testing with I am legend a regular blu-ray in 1080/24P, and experienced exactly the same issue. Apparently the 4K setting on the pioneer is allways 60 HZ so it will do a 3:2 Pulldown when its 24P content. But Strangely enough mission impossible rogue nation on UHD does not exhibits that error. So Maybe the player cant or does not upscale movies below 4k in 3:2 Pulldown, IMO 3:2 pulldown should not introduce random screen blackouts and video artefacts or am i somehow wrong.

Set it up to Auto.

post #168 of 939 Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Dehn View Post

Try Source Direct or Auto as mentioned above

-
post #169 of 939 Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Try Source Direct or Auto as mentioned above

What is the current firmware version for UDP-LX500 ? Has Pioneer released fw updates for this player and if they do do they do so regurlarly ? Trying to judge how much they intend to maintain this platform.

/// Carl-Fredrik
post #170 of 939 Old 01-12-2019, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSM View Post
What is the current firmware version for UDP-LX500 ? Has Pioneer released fw updates for this player and if they do do they do so regurlarly ? Trying to judge how much they intend to maintain this platform.
I don't think I'd judge them too much right now on support of the player. They did a much better job of coming out with a purely functional player from the start than say Oppo. When Oppo came out with the 203, it still didn't have dolby vision, just a promise of a coming update, and it required several updates early on to get it to be stable and reliably functional. It was almost like it came out too early. The pioneer seems stable and good right out of the box, and they've promised an update for HDR10+.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #171 of 939 Old 01-12-2019, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I was more thinking about disc playback issues, I know oppo has done a lot to fix those when new discs has been released using new technology, for example dolby atmos doesnt work with seamless branching on Cambridge Audio CXUHD. This has been found on Incredibles 2.

All three players Oppo 203, Cambridge Audio CXUHD and the Pioneer UBP-LX500 share same or very simillar Mediatek SOC.

/// Carl-Fredrik
post #172 of 939 Old 01-12-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I’ve had this player since October and there haven’t been any firmware updates yet but Pioneer did announce they would be releasing one in the Spring to support HDR10+.

I haven’t had any issues with any discs yet or have even had to restart any discs like I did have to occasionally do with my Oppos and DV discs.

-
post #173 of 939 Old 01-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I was more thinking about disc playback issues, I know oppo has done a lot to fix those when new discs has been released using new technology, for example dolby atmos doesnt work with seamless branching on Cambridge Audio CXUHD. This has been found on Incredibles 2.

All three players Oppo 203, Cambridge Audio CXUHD and the Pioneer UBP-LX500 share same or very simillar Mediatek SOC.

There’s a new firmware in the website to download. It’s version 1.08

Last edited by HiRes_PR; 01-12-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #174 of 939 Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
There’s a new firmware in the website to download. It’s version 1.08

That firmware was apparently released on August 27 but still isn’t available directly from the player by Network. I purchased my player in October and it came with firmware is 1.02

-
post #175 of 939 Old 01-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
That firmware was apparently released on August 27 but still isn’t available directly from the player by Network. I purchased my player in October and it came with firmware is 1.02

I updated it and will do some testing.

post #176 of 939 Old 01-12-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
I updated it and will do some testing.

I was feeling brave and updated as well, no issues but will do some testing later after going through settings.

Update: Only watched one movie but no issues to report and didn’t notice anything different.

Not much information regarding this update

Version V01.08
- Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.

-

Last edited by T-smith; 01-13-2019 at 10:09 AM.
post #177 of 939 Old 01-17-2019, 12:35 AM

I found a problem when playing UHD disks with dolby vision: the information in "HDMI output" indicates that the video is transmitted to the TV in dolby vision, BT.2020 RGB (instead of YCbCr) , and deep color a - 8 bit - !!
The TV hooks up the correct color space and activates the dolby vision, but I have no way of checking deep color.
I tried three different UHD disks and the result has not changed.
No problem with indications for HDR10 discs.
The cables used are all hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2 and bandwidth over 18 Gbps. The TV is a Metz Novum that had never had problems with the Oppo 205.

Last edited by Australopitecus Erectus; 01-17-2019 at 12:39 AM.
post #178 of 939 Old 01-17-2019, 07:40 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australopitecus Erectus View Post
I found a problem when playing UHD disks with dolby vision: the information in "HDMI output" indicates that the video is transmitted to the TV in dolby vision, BT.2020 RGB (instead of YCbCr) , and deep color a - 8 bit - !!
The TV hooks up the correct color space and activates the dolby vision, but I have no way of checking deep color.
I tried three different UHD disks and the result has not changed.
No problem with indications for HDR10 discs.
The cables used are all hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2 and bandwidth over 18 Gbps. The TV is a Metz Novum that had never had problems with the Oppo 205.
Turns out this is actually correct. Dolby Vision is encoded as RGB output (same data rate as YCbCr 4:4:4) and instead of using the extra bits per pixel for color upsampling it uses them to encode the extra color depth even though only 8-bit depth is used on the cable. This was done to allow Dolby Vision to pass through older HDMI paths which could not handle the higher bandwidth used by HDR10 with YCbCr 4:4:4 above 8-bits.

If the TV is reporting Dolby Vision input, then you are good to go. You really are getting the Dolby Vision 12-bit encode.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-17-2019 at 07:51 AM.
post #179 of 939 Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 AM

Always helpful and clear in the explanations. Thanks a lot.
post #180 of 939 Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
What's with the availability of the UDP-LX500. I have been waiting for one for over a month! Last I heard was that there was a shipment of 500 coming middle of January. Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page