Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 411Likes

post #181 of 620 Old 01-18-2019, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyCinema View Post
What's with the availability of the UDP-LX500. I have been waiting for one for over a month! Last I heard was that there was a shipment of 500 coming middle of January. Any info would be appreciated.
I contacted pioneer back in early december and got a response back from parent Onkyo. His first response was he sent me links of sites with the 500 for sale. He didn't really check well as most of those sites were showing the price and no availability. I wrote him back and pointed this out. He wrote back with the following response:

Quote:
I have spoken with the local distributor as well as some of the people here in the corporate office regarding the availability of the UDP-LX500. Currently we are waiting on a shipment of the units to be released from customs. We estimate that these units should be available in the stores sometime between the middle to end of January.

Regards
Now the downside is that the partial government shutdown may be impacting release of these player from customs. That is a distinct possibility. Every government agency will decide what workers are excepted and required to work during the shutdown. Border patrol is an obvious yes. Customs workings at points of entry for cargo, less likely that is a yes.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 620 Old 01-18-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 344
This looks to be the player I get, if there is no way the Panny's can be made region free. If the Panny's can be made region free, please share. I found this website that sells the part to make players region free. UDP-LX500 is listed as one.

http://www.rattlebyte.com/Shop.php?lang=en

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #183 of 620 Old 01-18-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
This looks to be the player I get, if there is no way the Panny's can be made region free. If the Panny's can be made region free, please share. I found this website that sells the part to make players region free. UDP-LX500 is listed as one.

http://www.rattlebyte.com/Shop.php?lang=en
That's interesting I need a player to play my European DVD's too.

The second LX-500 that I got had to come from the US back in November. This is the packing slip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 620 Old 01-18-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketstail View Post
That's interesting I need a player to play my European DVD's too.

The second LX-500 that I got had to come from the US back in November. This is the packing slip.
I have never ordered from them, because I haven't had to. I wanted a back up way to get region free without paying the high price tag on ebay. I was going to order the part for a LG UP870, but I got the whole player cheaper ordering it from Amazon, because I had a $50 discount. I have lurked on their website for about 2 years. The LX500 part went up around OCT/NOV, I believe.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #185 of 620 Old 01-24-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi Guys,
I have ordered a LX-500, am waiting on it, they are outta stock here in Thailand.
I keep checking back here hoping one of you owners will post more reviews of it, especially of the audio.
Do you listen to music using the analog outs and the internal DAC?
Or, do you use the HDMI out, use the LX-500 as a disc spinner and let your DAC in your processor do the heavy lifting? That is what I will do for movies, 5.1 and 7.1 on Emo XMC-1. And that is the way I normally listen to (and watch if I can) music, concerts mainly.
Any comments, observations, suggestions?
Also will keep checking here to find out when the HDR10+ FW update comes.
Thanks for any reports, comments.
God Bless,
Wayne

Last edited by Tex_Thai; 01-25-2019 at 02:12 AM.
post #186 of 620 Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer UDP-LX500 problems

I picked up my UDP-LX500 on Thursday and this evening (Saturday) my wife and I sat down to watch the DVD set of "Last Man Standing" and the picture froze on the last episode of the disc. I then popped in the 4K version of "Mission Impossible:Fallout" and it skipped momentarily about 3 minutes into the move and then ran fine until about the hour and 20 minute point and then stalled for good. I'm packing it up and taking it back to where I bought it. For a $1000 this unit should be bulletproof. Hopefully this problem is just one off....

Any thoughts?

Tom
post #187 of 620 Old 01-26-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robison View Post
I picked up my UDP-LX500 on Thursday and this evening (Saturday) my wife and I sat down to watch the DVD set of "Last Man Standing" and the picture froze on the last episode of the disc. I then popped in the 4K version of "Mission Impossible:Fallout" and it skipped momentarily about 3 minutes into the move and then ran fine until about the hour and 20 minute point and then stalled for good. I'm packing it up and taking it back to where I bought it. For a $1000 this unit should be bulletproof. Hopefully this problem is just one off....

Any thoughts?

Tom
I haven't had any problem of skipping or freezing. The only problem was on a DVD that was found to be defective on all players that I have (4).

If that is the case I'd take it back too!
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #188 of 620 Old 01-27-2019, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Since, some of you guys are watching DVDs can anyone comment to the DVD upscaling capability of this player? I have a lot of DVDs from the old days that I'm not replacing. On my 203 they are upscaled fantastic on a LG OLED. I'm wondering about the pioneer.

Also, another question, does the player's front panel display allow you to navigate a usb drive with music (each folder an album) without having to cut on the TV?
Tex_Thai likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 01-27-2019 at 04:27 AM.
post #189 of 620 Old 01-27-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Since, some of you guys are watching DVDs can anyone comment to the DVD upscaling capability of this player? I have a lot of DVDs from the old days that I'm not replacing. On my 203 they are upscaled fantastic on a LG OLED. I'm wondering about the pioneer.

Also, another question, does the player's front panel display allow you to navigate a usb drive with music (each folder an album) without having to cut on the TV?
I would think that going from the 203 to the 500 would be a lateral move at best. Maybe slightly better analog SQ but I'd think the 203 would be much better feature wise.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #190 of 620 Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
After a couple of days and some films and SACDs I have encountered the following issues:
1.When the tray closes it makes quite a loud pop, more a sign of closing firmly and securely than anything else but the tray itself opens and closes so smoothly...that that pop almost made me jump the first time.
2. After playing a SACD and taking the disc out when closing the tray again with NO disc at all, the screen changed from NO DISC to SACD again, as if there was a SACD inside, which was not the case. It only happened once but I have only tried two SACDs, which they played fine by the way.
3.When pressing DISPLAY for more than two seconds the extra information screen appears but sometimes it is impossible to go to the next screen when pressing the arrow down key.
4.Though it is a very solid machine and the lens and motor are being advertised as being completely isolated and though you cant hardly hear anything when playing a disc I tried the uhd Cliffhanger(German edition though it must be an European edition) and immediately after closing the tray the noise and the vibration was very loud. I guess it must be a problem with the disc, maybe a bit bent. I tried it on a Sony x800 and though there was also some vibration noise it was not so loud. Tried again on the Pioneer and happened again.
5.Choosing SOURCE DIRECT and playing blurays(not UHDs) causes white speckles here and there. I tried Love, Simon bluray for 5 minutes and it was evident. Then I selected AUTO and watched 5 minutes more and everything was fine, no noise or white dots. I think a similar if not the same issue was reported by another member. Of course, changing to AUTO means always outputting 4k even if the film is in 1080p. I have not tried 1080i concerts yet. Well see what happens tomorrow.
All in all, it is quite annoying that you cant really choose what you like or prefer after spending money on a, on the other hand, a well-built machine.
Hope to hear some feedback from other users.
post #191 of 620 Old 01-28-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Problem of white speckles on bluray discs solved by changing SOURCE DIRECT to AUTO and thus outputting 2016p always. Watched Alpha bluray flawlessly.
BUT today watched my third UHD and at 102-103 min. there was a half second pause, both video and audio, then the film resumed fine. When the film finished I played the segment and it happened again at the exact same point. I guess it must be related to layer change but I thought those days were long way back.
The uhd was 2001 A space odyssey.
post #192 of 620 Old 01-28-2019, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi45 View Post
After a couple of days and some films and SACDs I have encountered the following issues:

1.When the tray closes it makes quite a loud pop, more a sign of closing firmly and securely than anything else but the tray itself opens and closes so smoothly...that that pop almost made me jump the first time.

2. After playing a SACD and taking the disc out when closing the tray again with NO disc at all, the screen changed from NO DISC to SACD again, as if there was a SACD inside, which was not the case. It only happened once but I have only tried two SACDs, which they played fine by the way.

3.When pressing DISPLAY for more than two seconds the extra information screen appears but sometimes it is impossible to go to the next screen when pressing the arrow down key.

4.Though it is a very solid machine and the lens and motor are being advertised as being completely isolated and though you cant hardly hear anything when playing a disc I tried the uhd Cliffhanger(German edition though it must be an European edition) and immediately after closing the tray the noise and the vibration was very loud. I guess it must be a problem with the disc, maybe a bit bent. I tried it on a Sony x800 and though there was also some vibration noise it was not so loud. Tried again on the Pioneer and happened again.

5.Choosing SOURCE DIRECT and playing blurays(not UHDs) causes white speckles here and there. I tried Love, Simon bluray for 5 minutes and it was evident. Then I selected AUTO and watched 5 minutes more and everything was fine, no noise or white dots. I think a similar if not the same issue was reported by another member. Of course, changing to AUTO means always outputting 4k even if the film is in 1080p. I have not tried 1080i concerts yet. Well see what happens tomorrow.

All in all, it is quite annoying that you cant really choose what you like or prefer after spending money on a, on the other hand, a well-built machine.

Hope to hear some feedback from other users.

Did you update your firmware to v1.08? It might solve some of your issues. But I have mine since the beginning and is not doing anything you described. Sounds more like a faulty unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #193 of 620 Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
Did you update your firmware to v1.08? It might solve some of your issues. But I have mine since the beginning and is not doing anything you described. Sounds more like a faulty unit.

I've always had the units on 'Source Direct' only because of a YouTube video from October and have never had a problem. Haven't changed the firmware though.
post #194 of 620 Old 02-02-2019, 04:04 AM

Guys, I picked a non responsive thread to join.
VERY little info here and half of it is negative.
OUCH!!!
Can I take it from the lack of action here that VERY FEW people have actually bought one of these guys? And not listened to SACDs or Blu Ray music with it?
IF some of you have, please share your listening experiences.
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne
post #195 of 620 Old 02-02-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Thai View Post
Guys, I picked a non responsive thread to join.

VERY little info here and half of it is negative.

OUCH!!!

Can I take it from the lack of action here that VERY FEW people have actually bought one of these guys? And not listened to SACDs or Blu Ray music with it?

IF some of you have, please share your listening experiences.

Thanks,

God Bless,

Wayne

These have been in limited supply here in the US so there are not as many owners to provide feedback. I’ve had mine since October but don’t listen to SACDs or Blu-ray music and use it mainly for UHD and Blu-ray movies.

I’ve had no issues with this player and am happy enough with it that I canceled my order for the Panasonic UB9000.

Tex_Thai likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #196 of 620 Old 02-02-2019, 07:16 AM

Thanks T-smith, I appreciate your taking time to answer.
Not many making it to Thailand either, I have not gotten mine yet. No word yet that it is even in the country.
But mine, when I get it, will take the place of my OLD OPPO 95 and be my all disc player. I am hopeful that it will sound as good or even better than the 95 (because there have been some improvements through the years since then).
And then I will have to see if the built in DAC inside the Pioneer will sound better than the one built in my Emotiva XMC-1. I sorta doubt it will, may just need the Pioneer to be a disc spinner and let the XMC-1 control the sound. But who knows?
Anyway, it is time to move up to 4K and see what all the fuss is about.
Anybody else want to weigh in?
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne

Last edited by teachsac; 02-02-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Jailbreaking discussion not permitted
post #197 of 620 Old 02-02-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

@Tex_Thai

I don’t use this player for 2 channel audio but I did test it out and was pleasantly surprised with the sound playing from my NAS and would put it between the Oppo 203 and Oppo 205. I would love to test out the LX800 which has balanced outputs but it’s apparently not being released in the US and is also on the expensive side.

Im sure you checked but just in case this player only has 2 channel analog out so no multi channel out.

From what I understand Pioneer underestimated the demand for this player when initially released and more have been trickling in at least here in the US since the initial release in October which sold out very quickly.

Tex_Thai and SteveC356 like this.

-
post #198 of 620 Old 02-02-2019, 12:42 PM

Thanks T-smith,
VERY glad to hear your good comments.
And I suspect you are right about Pioneer underestimating the amount of interest, at least I hope that is the problem.
I too would love to have/hear the balanced LX800, but even if it comes to Thailand I cannot afford it. Well, I could but the girl would have to quit university. ha ha

I will try playing some CDs just for kicks, to check out the internal DAC, but honestly I am totally a surround sound man, unless listening with DAP & ciems on the bed or working out. Or on the car system.
So I will play SACDs and Blu ray concerts, DVD-Audios and Blu ray audio (which sound phenomenal) by way of the HDMI.
That will use the DAC in my XMC-1. I think. IF I can't do that I will be in a world of hurt.
I hope that is clear and will sound great.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne
post #199 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Send a message via Skype™ to I-SIBI
Just Got the LX 500 and comparing it to the Panasonic UB9000, the Oppo 203, The Cambridge Audio CXUHD and the Sony x800... I'm keeping out the Game consoles on pourpose...

My first impressions:

- The player is really well built, it is better than the Oppo and the CA, much better than the x800, a little better than the Panasonic UB9000... it is really built like a tank from another era...
- It is an Universal Disc player like the Oppo and the CA (the Sony as far as I know doesn't play DVD-A), so that is good in this era of "savage streaming".
- On a 2018 OLED, the PQ (4K HDR10 or DV from disc) is comparable with the other players with no visible differences; totally gorgeous... but that was expected...
- The menu/navigation system is very poor
- Also the info screen is very poor compared to Panny and Oppo
- No Streaming apps. My point of view is that is good. When you spend money for such an high end disc spinner you are "old fashion" and looking for things like build quality and good DACs... there are cheaper boxes, with comparable Disc PQ, that have streaming apps. An High-End User buying into players like the LX550, the UB9000 or the Oppo will, for sure, have a separate component for streaming...
-No firmware updates so far... all the other players asked for update on first connection. I hope this is not sign of poor support.
-I will soon connect the player to 4K PJ and watch a couple of movies... there I will fully expect differences between players... due to the natural limits of front projectors... I will keep updated...

I'm thinking to produce a comparative review of the player an publish it on Youtube... but I'm not sure how useful will it be...

So far I'm quite impressed by the player... it is not perfect... but none is...
Lesmor and Tex_Thai like this.

Pioneer UDP-LX500 - Oppo 203EU - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - KLIPSH R-120SW SUBWOOFER- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - NAIM ND5 XS 2 streamer - NAIM NAIT XS 2 stereo amplifier - Roon Core on the network

Last edited by I-SIBI; 02-05-2019 at 02:57 AM.
post #200 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-SIBI View Post
Just Got the LX 500 and comparing it to the Panasonic UB9000, the Oppo 203, The Cambridge Audio CXUHD and the Sony x800... I'm keeping out the Game consoles on pourpose...

My first impressions:

- The player is really well built, it is better than the Oppo and the CA, much better than the x800, a little better than the Panasonic UB9000... it is really built like a tank from another era...
- It is an Universal Disc player like the Oppo and the CA (the Sony as far as I know doesn't play DVD-A), so that is good in this era of "savage streaming".
- On a 2018 OLED, the PQ (4K HDR10 or DV from disc) is comparable with the other players with no visible differences; totally gorgeous... but that was expected...
- No Streaming apps. My point of view is that is good. When you spend money for such an high end disc spinner you are "old fashion" and looking for things like build quality and good DACs... there are cheaper boxes, with comparable Disc PQ, that have streaming apps. An High-End User buying into players like the LX550, the UB9000 or the Oppo will, for sure, have a separate component for streaming...
-No firmware updates so far... all the other players asked for update on first connection. I hope this is not sign of poor support.
-I will soon connect the player to 4K PJ and watch a couple of movies... there I will fully expect differences between players... due to the natural limits of front projectors... I will keep updated...

I'm thinking to produce a comparative review of the player an publish it on Youtube... but I'm not sure how useful will it be...

Wow there is not many or indeed any who has such a fine collection of player to compare and review

IIRC but could be wrong the Pioneer LX500 does not have WiFi ?

IMO a YouTube shootout video would be very useful
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #201 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
Wow there is not many or indeed any who has such a fine collection of player to compare and review

IIRC but could be wrong the Pioneer LX500 does not have WiFi ?

IMO a YouTube shootout video would be very useful
LX500 is Ethernet Only.
Tex_Thai likes this.

Pioneer UDP-LX500 - Oppo 203EU - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - KLIPSH R-120SW SUBWOOFER- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - NAIM ND5 XS 2 streamer - NAIM NAIT XS 2 stereo amplifier - Roon Core on the network
post #202 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 03:48 AM

Thanks so much I-SIBI,
That is very helpful. As a comparison video would be as well.
Thanks for chiming in here, and your ability to compare all the usual suspects is amazing.
When you have time, and if you listen to SACDs or DVD-As then can you give us a listening update? Particularly between the built in DAC, 2 channel out and the multi-channel out by way of HDMI. Yes, I know them is not apples to apples. But it could be helpful.
And anything more when watching movies would be great.
It has been extremely hard to get any info/reviews of this player.
Still waiting for mine.
God Bless,
Wayne
post #203 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Thai View Post
Thanks so much I-SIBI,
That is very helpful. As a comparison video would be as well.
Thanks for chiming in here, and your ability to compare all the usual suspects is amazing.
When you have time, and if you listen to SACDs or DVD-As then can you give us a listening update? Particularly between the built in DAC, 2 channel out and the multi-channel out by way of HDMI. Yes, I know them is not apples to apples. But it could be helpful.
And anything more when watching movies would be great.
It has been extremely hard to get any info/reviews of this player.
Still waiting for mine.
God Bless,
Wayne
Sorry but I don't have music on disc anymore... I stream it to the Marantz NA6006; usually not from the NET, but from high quality FLAC or MP4 files.
Tex_Thai likes this.

post #204 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 04:11 AM

I-SIBI,

I hear ya. And I am sure you are not alone, probably in the majority.
But it could be that there are more like me who don't give a flying flip about streaming and want to use this player to spin real, actual, shiny discs.
Or maybe I am the only one.
IF I am, there might be only a small market for a universal player like this Pioneer. Hopefully not.
Until recently it would take like 10 mins with all the stops and starts to stream a 3 min song out here in the boonies of Thailand.
Better now, and just so people don't think I am totally backwards, I do have all my 2 channel discs saved in FLAC files as well as some DSD music I bought, all of which I can play on my DAP, straight into my brain via ciems. Yes, I COULD play it on my home theater but I am not into 2 channel at all. And don't want fake multi-channel from stereo to DD or DTS. I want discrete channels. That is where the fun lies, to me. Love Blu ray concerts, good SACDs, etc. etc.
God Bless,
Wayne
post #205 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No firmware updates so far... all the other players asked for update on first connection. I hope this is not sign of poor support.

Check the Pioneer site for your location as there may be an update available that isn’t available yet by Network.

My LX500 which I purchased in October came with v1.02 and I kept checking for an update but the player didn’t find one. Another member mentioned v1.08 was available on the US site which I was able to update by USB. Nothing major in this update though.

The menus are very generic and are very similar to my old Denon Blu-ray players but luckily I don’t have to go into the menus much.

I use the Function button to bring up info like time elapsed and remaining but it shouldn’t take this many button presses to get this basic information.

This player is very quiet and doesn’t get remotely warm.

Tex_Thai likes this.

-
post #206 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Check the Pioneer site for your location as there may be an update available that isn’t available yet by Network.

My LX500 which I purchased in October came with v1.02 and I kept checking for an update but the player didn’t find one. Another member mentioned v1.08 was available on the US site which I was able to update by USB. Nothing major in this update though.

The menus are very generic and are very similar to my old Denon Blu-ray players but luckily I don’t have to go into the menus much.

I use the Function button to bring up info like time elapsed and remaining but it shouldn’t take this many button presses to get this basic information.

This player is very quiet and doesn’t get remotely warm.

I really like my LX500, just comparing it to similarly priced players... each one of them got pro & cons... there is no perfect player.

LX 500 so far so good; next Projection Room test. There, almost all players are struggling...
Tex_Thai likes this.

post #207 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

My first impressions:

Thanks for this review! If you had to choose this or the Oppo for a similar amount of money, which would you choose?
post #208 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
Thanks for this review! If you had to choose this or the Oppo for a similar amount of money, which would you choose?

Which Oppo and what will you be using it for? I’m assuming since you said similar money you mean the 203.

The Oppo 205 is still king when it comes to 2 channel audio but for video this Pioneer is just as good if not slightly better than the Oppos.

-
post #209 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Which Oppo and what will you be using it for? I’m assuming since you said similar money you mean the 203.

The Oppo 205 is still king when it comes to 2 channel audio but for video this Pioneer is just as good if not slightly better than the Oppos.

Yeah my mistake. I meant the 203 since that was what you reviewed the Pioneer against in your original post.
post #210 of 620 Old 02-05-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
Yeah my mistake. I meant the 203 since that was what you reviewed the Pioneer against in your original post.

Actually that was another poster but figured I’d reply as well.

It really comes down to what you will be using it for as the Oppos have some advantages particular with audio like multi channel analog out where the Pioneer only has 2 channel analog out.

If all you care about is Video then you can’t go wrong with either so your decision would probably come down to other factors like availability, build quality, etc. I had both Oppos and I am not disappointed in this Pioneer for video and was pleasantly surprised with its 2 channel audio when I tested it for a short time which id put between the Oppo 203 and 205.

Tex_Thai, I-SIBI and OriginalFake like this.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page