Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 376Likes

post #1 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Below are my (lengthy) thoughts and impressions of the LX500, paired with the SC-LX901 receiver.

Associated equipment:
NAD M17 processor
NAD M27 multi-channel amplifier
Oppo UDP-203
LG OLED65C8
Revel Concerta2 + SVS SB-2000 Limited Edition (5.2)
Isotek EVO3 Aquarius
Supra Cables

Build quality
From the moment you lift the LX500 out of it's box the quality of materials used and the impeccable build is impressive. The machine is very solid with great heft and no plastic as far as I can tell. This is a reassuring piece of kit even before you plug it in! That alone is exciting! I dare not imagine how the bigger and far more costly LX800 stand up in this regard. For the record, in terms of build the standard versions of Oppo often left me a bit wanting, at least compared to other similarly priced players by Denon and Pioneer. An elegant minimalistic design is also a plus. It matches visually (in most respects) to Pioneer receivers and begs to be partnered with one.

Connections
I used HDMI (single, not split/separated) for Blu-ray's and analogue RCA for CD and 2-channel SACD. Also connected a single RCA cable in order to test 'Zero Signal', claimed to minimise potential grounding issues. Omitted analogue multichannel outputs is not an issue for me.

Usage
Start-up is quick. Set-up menu is kept simple and intuitive. Uninspired background splash-screen perhaps but that is hardly a biggie. The disc tray is wonderful with reassuringly smooth motion (you can hardly hear it sliding in and out). I appreciate the rubberised topside of the tray, making discs land firmly in place. Details like that matter. This oozes quality! Loading speed for Blu-ray discs is slower than Oppo but not by much. I'm glad to report there have been no glitches or hick-ups with my sample - everything is smooth sailing! It's even been able to read a couple of lightly scratched discs that the Oppo refused, which came as a surprise (FYI: I'm not to blame for those scratches... my 4 year old nephew is! lol).

One stupid thing I noticed is that the dimming functionality of the display and illuminated power button don't dim in the same manner as the SC-LX901 receiver. For people pairing these machines together that is an unfortunate design flaw. Hopefully something Pioneer can address in a firmware update. I like the idea of pairing matching machines but for that to work perfectly small details such as these are essential.

The remote is a standard Pioneer affair but very well thought-out with direct-buttons for just about everything you might want to use, including back-light. Fairly comfortable to hold, although it's a bit front-heavy for some odd reason, even after the batteries are installed on the opposite side.

I wish there was a memory-function for automatic switching to 'Pure Direct' whenever the player senses a CD or SACD. As it is now, you have to activate that manually each time and then turn it off before watching a movie since the function shuts off picture circuits. Bit annoying.

The machine spins discs fairly quietly. Only during total silence in my room can I sometimes hear it while playing Blu-ray discs. But it's faint. LX500 is one of the better ones I've owned in this respect.

Picture quality
Stable. Sharp. Natural. Depth of field is excellent. Colors are gorgeous and realistic. Blacks and shadow detailing is spot-on. I notice no strange behaviour or artefacts. Switching back and forth between the LX500 and Oppo UDP-203 (connected via the SC-LX901) took a bit of juggling since I do not have double copies of my movies to run them simultaneously. Anyway, I haven't noticed any discernible differences between the two as far as I can tell. Terrific performers without a doubt. Resolution set to 'Source Direct' on both and no picture tinkering to speak of (I always prefer to deliver the picture as it is on the disc as much as the player will allow me to). Honestly, since I'm no expert there isn't much more to write about here - everything that should be here is delivered with pure excellence. Zero complaints! The LX500 delivers everything I was expecting. I think if a person is coming from a regular Blu-ray player a few years old they would probably appreciate the qualities offered by any of the higher end UHD BD machines of today. My personal choice would be this Pioneer, but for other reasons than picture quality. Let's face it, most players deliver in this area.

Sound quality
With bitstream over HDMI everything is as expected; highly detailed and dynamic with great ambience and flawless placement of effects. High resolution and crystal clarity from top-to-bottom. Surprisingly I find myself appreciating both features 'PQLS' and 'Zero Signal', for whatever they are worth. I'm experiencing less background noise emitted through my speakers with the Pioneer duo compared to my NAD Master Series separates with the Oppo player. This is a nice plus. No humming or annoyances. Naturally this is in conjunction with the SC-LX901 receiver so that is how I'm judging everything. Reading the data sheet 'PQLS' seemed like clever marketing, but it seems to be doing something. I did always prefer to keep it switched on. Sadly this function is only possible while CEC is active, which has always been an annoying feature in my book. With 'PQLS' I appreciate how the sound field seems a tad more fluid and unified. Switching it off and replaying the same sequences made me fairly certain it had a mildly positive effect. Nothing major however and certainly nothing I couldn't live without. But any potential help in minimising jitter over HDMI is welcome as long as it doesn't take anything away.

Analogue audio via RCA is what surprised and pleased me the most however. Set to 'Pure Direct', I'm truly enjoying the lively musicality of this player with CD's and 2-channel SACD's alike. Instruments have real weight to them and voices are fairly realistic in tone and texture. I also love the width and depth rendered on good recordings. It's exciting enjoying my favourites again! A feeling I've regrettably seldom had with the Oppo's. LX500 may not be the most neutral or transparent player but it's certainly fun!

Conclusion
So far during this test I've had a wonderful glitch-free experience with the LX500. Smooth like butter I would say. I'm impressed. Not surprised by this however, having owned Pioneer laserdisc and dvd machines in the past which never faltered. I'm not gonna recommend folks rush out and purchase this player. Investing in an expensive machine (some would say over-priced) like this one is something you do for more than simply getting picture and sound. You pay for the experience. You also pay for reliability and the feel of the player itself; every detail involved - the materials used, the assembly, the robustness, the setting up, the smoothness of operation. Some folks are willing to pay extra for that, others not. On top of that there might be minor performance details that add to the value of the extra investment.

Picture and sound with movies is for the most part very similar to what I experience through my Oppo UDP-203. Sure - 'PQLS' do indeed seem to bring a little something to the table, however minuscule a contribution. Can't prove that obviously but since my ears always preferred it switched on who am I to argue with them? I trust those ears of mine - they are what I use to enjoy audio after all. Simple. When it comes to CD's and SACD through analogue RCA I'm liking LX500 more than the Oppo. The 'sound character' of the LX500 appeal to me. Enjoyable for hours on end, disc after disc.

Sidenote
I'd like to add that the combined experience of the LX500 and SC-LX901 in my home theatre is a very positive one. They have proven to be a dynamic tour-de-force! I wasn't prepared for how well the combo would mesh with my current speaker system. In some respects the Pioneer duo triumphs my trusted (and costly) NAD Master Series separates with Oppo as a source. That's difficult to admit. The Pioneers are overachievers as far as I'm concerned. Now, if only Pioneer could embrace Dirac Live room correction! They did sign a deal with Dirac back in 2016 so what is taking them so long?!

NAD M17 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)

Last edited by RickyDeg; 10-22-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
good on you Ricky, thanks for sharing, these are no doubt very nice machines ... looking forward to further owner experience with these....
RickyDeg likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #3 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
good on you Ricky, thanks for sharing, these are no doubt very nice machines ... looking forward to further owner experience with these....
Thanks a lot for that!
Also looking forward to other owner experiences! Above is merely my own (thus far) others may find different things to bring to the table.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I thought the player released in the US (LX-500) has the elite logo and amber color lighting ?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post56946664

RickyDeg likes this.
post #5 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
I thought the player released in the US (LX-500) has the elite logo and amber color lighting ?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post56946664

I noticed this as well it could be that some players have that look and others have the look without the Elite logo. It's still the same disc player but I prefer the Elite design with the Ultra HD Blu-ray logo on the side even if it is similar to the 85fd and 88fd models. Perhaps they changed the look of the player during the production run or that guy got a reviewer demo model and they changed the look of it for production. Either way they changed the look of it before or during production. So if these are not demo players there could be a few out in the wild with that look quite possibly take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by coffeecup45; 10-22-2018 at 06:09 AM.
post #6 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post
Terrific photo! (ugh, my iPhone camera is sooo lousy!)

'Elite' versions with amber display is intended for American markets.

I'm in Europe (Sweden) and Pioneer have never marketed 'Elite' over here, hence no label. The display is also white instead of amber.

Otherwise - exactly the same machine!

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #7 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup45 View Post
I noticed this as well it could be that some players have that look and others have the look without the Elite logo. It's still the same disc player but I prefer the Elite design with the Ultra HD Blu-ray logo on the side even if it is similar to the 85fd and 88fd models. Perhaps they changed the look of the player during the production run or that guy got a reviewer demo model and they changed the look of it for production. Either way they changed the look of it before or during production. So if these are not demo players there could be a few out in the wild with that look quite possibly take it with a grain of salt.
See my resonse above.

No demo model. Different design choices for different markets, that is all. Pioneer have always done that.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #8 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 06:22 AM
Aja

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
Below are my (lengthy) thoughts and impressions of the LX500, paired with the SC-LX901 receiver.

Associated equipment:
NAD M17 processor
NAD M27 multi-channel amplifier
Oppo UDP-203
LG OLED65C8
Revel Concerta2 + SVS SB-2000 Limited Edition (5.2)
Isotek EVO3 Aquarius
Supra Cables

Build quality
From the moment you lift the LX500 out of it's box the quality of materials used and the impeccable build is impressive. The machine is very solid with great heft and no plastic as far as I can tell. This is a reassuring piece of kit even before you plug it in! That alone is exciting! I dare not imagine how the bigger and far more costly LX800 stand up in this regard. For the record, in terms of build the standard versions of Oppo often left me a bit wanting, at least compared to other similarly priced players by Denon and Pioneer. An elegant minimalistic design is also a plus. It matches visually (in most respects) to Pioneer receivers and begs to be partnered with one.

Connections
I used HDMI (single, not split/separated) for Blu-ray's and analogue RCA for CD and 2-channel SACD. Also connected a single RCA cable in order to test 'Zero Signal', claimed to minimise potential grounding issues. Omitted analogue multichannel outputs is not an issue for me.

Usage
Start-up is quick. Set-up menu is kept simple and intuitive. Uninspired background splash-screen perhaps but that is hardly a biggie. The disc tray is wonderful with reassuringly smooth motion (you can hardly hear it sliding in and out). I appreciate the rubberised topside of the tray, making discs land firmly in place. Details like that matter. This oozes quality! Loading speed for Blu-ray discs is slower than Oppo but not by much. I'm glad to report there have been no glitches or hick-ups with my sample - everything is smooth sailing! It's even been able to read a couple of lightly scratched discs that the Oppo refused, which came as a surprise (FYI: I'm not to blame for those scratches... my 4 year old nephew is! lol).

One stupid thing I noticed is that the dimming functionality of the display and illuminated power button don't dim in the same manner as the SC-LX901 receiver. For people pairing these machines together that is an unfortunate design flaw. Hopefully something Pioneer can address in a firmware update. I like the idea of pairing matching machines but for that to work perfectly small details such as these are essential.

The remote is a standard Pioneer affair but very well thought-out with direct-buttons for just about everything you might want to use, including back-light. Fairly comfortable to hold, although it's a bit front-heavy for some odd reason, even after the batteries are installed on the opposite side.

I wish there was a memory-function for automatic switching to 'Pure Direct' whenever the player senses a CD or SACD. As it is now, you have to activate that manually each time and then turn it off before watching a movie since the function shuts off picture circuits. Bit annoying.

The machine spins discs fairly quietly. Only during total silence in my room can I sometimes hear it while playing Blu-ray discs. But it's faint. LX500 is one of the better ones I've owned in this respect.

Picture quality
Stable. Sharp. Natural. Depth of field is excellent. Colors are gorgeous and realistic. Blacks and shadow detailing is spot-on. I notice no strange behaviour or artefacts. Switching back and forth between the LX500 and Oppo UDP-203 (connected via the SC-LX901) took a bit of juggling since I do not have double copies of my movies to run them simultaneously. Anyway, I haven't noticed any discernible differences between the two as far as I can tell. Terrific performers without a doubt. Resolution set to 'Source Direct' on both and no picture tinkering to speak of (I always prefer to deliver the picture as it is on the disc as much as the player will allow me to). Honestly, since I'm no expert there isn't much more to write about here - everything that should be here is delivered with pure excellence. Zero complaints! The LX500 delivers everything I was expecting. I think if a person is coming from a regular Blu-ray player a few years old they would probably appreciate the qualities offered by any of the higher end UHD BD machines of today. My personal choice would be this Pioneer, but for other reasons than picture quality. Let's face it, most players deliver in this area.

Sound quality
With bitstream over HDMI everything is as expected; highly detailed and dynamic with great ambience and flawless placement of effects. High resolution and crystal clarity from top-to-bottom. Surprisingly I find myself appreciating both features 'PQLS' and 'Zero Signal', for whatever they are worth. I'm experiencing less background noise emitted through my speakers with the Pioneer duo compared to my NAD Master Series separates with the Oppo player. This is a nice plus. No humming or annoyances. Naturally this is in conjunction with the SC-LX901 receiver so that is how I'm judging everything. Reading the data sheet 'PQLS' seemed like clever marketing, but it seems to be doing something. I did always prefer to keep it switched on. Sadly this function is only possible while CEC is active, which has always been an annoying feature in my book. With 'PQLS' I appreciate how the sound field seems a tad more fluid and unified. Switching it off and replaying the same sequences made me fairly certain it had a mildly positive effect. Nothing major however and certainly nothing I couldn't live without. But any potential help in minimising jitter over HDMI is welcome as long as it doesn't take anything away.

Analogue audio via RCA is what surprised and pleased me the most however. Set to 'Pure Direct', I'm truly enjoying the lively musicality of this player with CD's and 2-channel SACD's alike. Instruments have real weight to them and voices are fairly realistic in tone and texture. I also love the width and depth rendered on good recordings. It's exciting enjoying my favourites again! A feeling I've regrettably seldom had with the Oppo's. LX500 may not be the most neutral or transparent player but it's certainly fun!

Conclusion
So far during this test I've had a wonderful glitch-free experience with the LX500. Smooth like butter I would say. I'm impressed. Not surprised by this however, having owned Pioneer laserdisc and dvd machines in the past which never faltered. I'm not gonna recommend folks rush out and purchase this player. Investing in an expensive machine (some would say over-priced) like this one is something you do for more than simply getting picture and sound. You pay for the experience. You also pay for reliability and the feel of the player itself; every detail involved - the materials used, the assembly, the robustness, the setting up, the smoothness of operation. Some folks are willing to pay extra for that, others not. On top of that there might be minor performance details that add to the value of the extra investment.

Picture and sound with movies is for the most part very similar to what I experience through my Oppo UDP-203. Sure - 'PQLS' do indeed seem to bring a little something to the table, however minuscule a contribution. Can't prove that obviously but since my ears always preferred it switched on who am I to argue with them? I trust those ears of mine - they are what I use to enjoy audio after all. Simple. When it comes to CD's and SACD through analogue RCA I'm liking LX500 more than the Oppo. The 'sound character' of the LX500 appeal to me. Enjoyable for hours on end, disc after disc.

Sidenote
I'd like to add that the combined experience of the LX500 and SC-LX901 in my home theatre is a very positive one. They have proven to be a dynamic tour-de-force! I wasn't prepared for how well the combo would mesh with my current speaker system. In some respects the Pioneer duo triumphs my trusted (and costly) NAD Master Series separates with Oppo as a source. That's difficult to admit. The Pioneers are overachievers as far as I'm concerned. Now, if only Pioneer could embrace Dirac Live room correction! They did sign a deal with Dirac back in 2016 so what is taking them so long?!
Hi Ricky,

I am considering purchasing one and appreciate your detailed review. It was quite interesting, including about SACD.

I bet it sounds excellent with your Revel speakers.

From one Swede to another <grin>,

Aja
RickyDeg likes this.
post #9 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aja View Post
Hi Ricky,

I am considering purchasing one and appreciate your detailed review. It was quite interesting, including about SACD.

I bet it sounds excellent with your Revel speakers.

From one Swede to another <grin>,

Aja
Thanks Aja! Glad you got something out of it!

Never knew there were so many Swedes around here! Spoke with two yesterday as well in another thread

Yes, the Pioneer duo seem to suit the Revel speakers very well indeed. I put it down to better synergy compared to NAD with Revel. The LX500 is a damn fine unit! The best disc player I've had last 12 years or so, without a doubt. I admit the Denon 3313 (which I owned 6 years ago) was in a similar league in terms of build quailty though.

I would of course recommend you get one on loan first or at least buy with right to return in case you change your mind. Unlikely, but you never know with kit like this. Believe me, I've done my share of mistakes with electronics haha

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #10 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked: 2109
The euro version looks so much cleaner.
RickyDeg likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #11 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Placed an order today and will have it on Wednesday.

Surprised I haven’t read more about the fact that this player doesn’t have WiFi and is Ethernet only which I wasn’t aware of until reading through the manual this weekend.

Not a huge deal for me as I have a temporary solution and my theater room will be hardwired eventually but surprised more hasn’t been made of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #12 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Placed an order today and will have it on Wednesday.

Surprised I haven’t read more about the fact that this player doesn’t have WiFi and is Ethernet only which I wasn’t aware of until reading through the manual this weekend.

Not a huge deal for me as I have a temporary solution and my theater room will be hardwired eventually but surprised more hasn’t been made of this.

Pioneer claimed the wifi modules add distortion and degrade S/N. That’s why they said they went with only a LAN connector.

Troy LaMont and RickyDeg like this.
post #13 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So what about 4k MKV-files with DolbyAtmos and DTS:X audio tracks?
Can the new Pioneer handle them via NAS or USB?
thx
post #14 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubzeroX View Post
So what about 4k MKV-files with DolbyAtmos and DTS:X audio tracks?
Can the new Pioneer handle them via NAS or USB?
thx

Not listed anywhere in the users manual playable file list. So, take it as a no for now.

post #15 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Pioneer UDP-LX 500 / 800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRes_PR View Post
Pioneer claimed the wifi modules add distortion and degrade S/N. That’s why they said they went with only a LAN connector.

Thanks, I assumed it was something along those lines.

I have a couple devices that provide an Ethernet hardwire option through the AC line which I can use until I get around to running an actual line.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #16 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Nice review. I got one on order. The only problem is waiting 3 weeks until it shows up.
RickyDeg likes this.

Last edited by teachsac; 10-22-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Deal's discussion
post #17 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
See my resonse above.

No demo model. Different design choices for different markets, that is all. Pioneer have always done that.

Ok, thanks. I actually prefer the USA design more.
RickyDeg likes this.
post #18 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
The euro version looks so much cleaner.
I personally like the 'Elite' design, even though I've only seen it in pictures, but you are right - the European version looks cleaner and I'm perfectly happy with it.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #19 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Quote:
I think it's a good thing that this machine does not have WiFi, as I too believe there is a risk of distortion. So if that's what Pioneer claims I applaud that choice. However, for the sake of convenience I understand why some would like the option.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #20 of 572 Old 10-22-2018, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Nice review. I got one on order. The only problem is waiting 3 weeks until it shows up.
Thanks for checking out my review!
That waiting time is simply NOT ok!
ti-triodes likes this.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #21 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup45 View Post
Ok, thanks. I actually prefer the USA design more.
No problem.

I know from the past there's been a lot of confusion between consumers in the US and Europe in this regard. Not entierly sure why Pioneer made this marketing choice a long time ago. Why couldn't their top-of-the-line products be named 'Elite' all over instead of having different versions that are essentially all the same? In a way this marketing strategy mirrors the one for TV's.

Just like the 'Elite' logo the matching amber display looks really nice. That said, I'm so used to the clean look of the European models that those are perfectly fine as well.

LG OLED65C8 (oled tv)
post #22 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thinking about buying this one, since the Panasonic UB9000 coming to the US is now questionable.

Question on Ethernet to update firmware. Have a laptop and WiFI. Take it I can't just connect an ethernet cable from the player to my laptop for updates? If no, my router is on another floor. Do I need to either pull the player or move the router so I can run an ethernet cable from the player to the router? Do I then need to run another cable from my laptop to the router? Seems a little cumbersome. Thanks.

Quote:

post #23 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Any chance this player has subtitle luminance adjustment like the Panasonic blu-ray players do?
post #24 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
Any chance this player has subtitle luminance adjustment like the Panasonic blu-ray players do?

From the manual it does not seems so: https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com...180703_web.pdf
post #25 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post
Thinking about buying this one, since the Panasonic UB9000 coming to the US is now questionable.

Question on Ethernet to update firmware. Have a laptop and WiFI. Take it I can't just connect an ethernet cable from the player to my laptop for updates? If no, my router is on another floor. Do I need to either pull the player or move the router so I can run an ethernet cable from the player to the router? Do I then need to run another cable from my laptop to the router? Seems a little cumbersome. Thanks.

You can update the firmware via USB, according to the manual, page 46: https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com...180703_web.pdf
post #26 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I know. Just curious on how it would work with an ethernet. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell View Post
You can update the firmware via USB, according to the manual, page 46: https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com...180703_web.pdf
post #27 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Get a wireless plug in expansion module. You can find those on Amazon.

post #28 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 2028
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by george1906 View Post
Get a wireless plug in expansion module. You can find those on Amazon.

Powerline adapters also work well. I have found them more stable than using wireless extenders.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #29 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I think it's a good thing that this machine does not have WiFi, as I too believe there is a risk of distortion. So if that's what Pioneer claims I applaud that choice. However, for the sake of convenience I understand why some would like the option.

Naaaaahhh, I'm a bit more cynical and thus does not believe the distortion risk is anything we can hear

As the player has no apps, but still support network play, the decision not to support WiFi makes perfect sense. Ethernet vi cable is very well know, secure and cheap to implement compared to WiFi.
post #30 of 572 Old 10-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I know. Just curious on how it would work with an ethernet. Thanks

My guess is that you have to configure your laptop as a router with access to internet to update the player that way. Personally I'll just use an USB drive and call it a day....

You can also drag a temporary cable from your router, if possible, to the player, which I've done on occasion for various devices over the years since WiFi is so very flaky.

Forgot that internet access might be required for playing UHD, at least the first time, so for users having to drag a cable might be more than inconvenient. Personally I've never used BD Live nor do i have an UHD player. Now, for me, that will be a real bummer.

Last edited by Trell; 10-23-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players