Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk) - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 210Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 596 Old 04-19-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,247
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I miss my pronto.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, that's why I'm still using my 5 TSU9400 Prontos...couldn't stand trying to get along without them.

I still have my TSU9600 as well but don't use it anymore. No good location to use it from (the TSU9400s are a better fit for one hand operation).

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X700, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X700, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 596 Old 04-19-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,094
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3003 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Yeah, that's why I'm still using my 5 TSU9400 Prontos...couldn't stand trying to get along without them.

I still have my TSU9600 as well but don't use it anymore. No good location to us it from (the TSU9400s are a better fit for one hand operation).


I had to two 9600 i wish i didn’t sell them now


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
post #423 of 596 Old 04-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
some early comments, and comparatively with the oppo 205...

not that have had extensive use as yet. just setting up, doing the harmony and checking on a few movies.

comes upto date out of box
It seems to be upto date firmware out of box... which is a rarity these days ... most things you plug in and first thing wants to do is an update.

user interface
the user interface, after using an oppo for some while now, seems quite simplistic by comparison. I am a prior pana 900 owner. but really the screens on the pana look like they were done on DOS vs windows on the oppo. the pana also seems a tad slower to respond ? am I imagining that ?

settings
there was nothing I needed to do with the out of box pana settings. and I went through all. all seems fine made sure it was bit streaming, no dynamic compression engaged.

I noticed as was with the pana 900 that 4k 50/60 is turned off... I didnt turn it on by default ... though might re think that.

Apps
good to see the app page fully populated with netflix and prime and likes.... when I had the 900 it was bare bones... just like the oppo. didnt try the streaming apps and unlikely i will as happy with the atv 4k for that.

Loading loading
when pop the disc tray open it is s..l..o..w to open and a bit growny... the oppo is a lot more snappy... however the disc draw omn the pana feels more solidly made and has a rubbery feel on the disc contact surface. the oppo is just thin plain plastic by comparison.

the buttons on the pana player like on the oppo are not illuminated...pity...however buttons on the pana are logically placed once figure out what each one is ... the display is simple nothing much bar a play time display

Remote
I miss the touch sensitive oppo remote straight away as that shakes and lights up if you pick up to use. the remote of the pana does feel and look a lot better though. there are parts of the pana remote that are cryptic....

I am still trying to figure out the difference between pop up menu and menu. there is also a top menu and then there's home...

harmony fortunately had the ub9000 in its data base. but I had to teach it the subtitle button, not sure why its not there ?

Selected Top menu, audio, Subtitle, Pop up menu, eject, home, setting, playback info, along with status, and operation menu. along with your standard playing and navigation buttons. sufficient I think to put pana remote away never to be seen again

Testing material
In use I tested across dvd, blu-ray and uhd blu-ray. my standard discs of morcheeba brixton concert on dvd, mr and mrs smith blu-ray and for uhd blu-ray I used the shallows and also blade runner 2049

morcheeba dvd ... all worked just fine. the audio button worked to select dolby digital track which is not default. I think i'll need to compare DVD PQ with the oppo as I have an inclination the oppo does a better job on dvd still audio picture all was just fine. very happy to hear this again, was a treat with upsampling to dolby surround
I am confused between the pop up menu, top menu though, sort of a bit hit miss at bringing up disc menu, ended up using the operation menu to go to disc menu. operation menu seems quite elaborate.

mr and mrs smith bluray - looks gorgeous, very natural, the reminiscing scene isnt too over the top ! which is great... means for blu-ray its colour balance etc is not too far from the oppo. pop up menu seems to bring up disc menu which is good. status button shows basic disc info, what upto in chapter and time elapsed etc. playback info shows more elaborate info bit rates and such. setting seems to bring up the settings menu. audio too on this disc is striking and through the pana it didnt disappoint. I did notice a "high clarity" sound engaged though... something i will have to explore.. what it means and implications.

as a note at one point i paused as got a phone call, when came back player had put itself off to sleep and there was a blank screen ie no signal. not sure how to change that will explore. but if I hit play on the player it seems to awake and take off as were it left off.

the shallows uhd blu-ray - the initial screens are by their nature a bit pumped (instagram style) but looks gorgeous... ie not over the top again indicating the colour balance is pretty good/similar vs oppo. but I tell you I think I need to do some direct side by sides vs the oppo in PQ here as it sure looks like packs a wallop. rich detailed. especially skin textures and such. also when she is on the beach the flouro colours of her costume and fins on the surf board really POP ! sound is also very impactful. its bee na while since seen this movie and will definitely have to compare with the oppo as looks terrific with the pana

next w up loaded up blade runner 2049 uhd blu-ray. great how kick off with the audio and looks stunning in later scenes and very natural skin tones etc in other scenes. very pleased pq wise and same with audio. ended up watching about 1/3rd in before was time for bed. look forward to watching the rest later I've seen the movie before but got taken in !

overall
few things ... I am not so sure I am a fan of the pop ups when hit play and such it puts up. not sure if there is a way to get rid of that or make more subtle. its a very quiet player. I feel a little slower in response to the oppo. but things will compare side by side when get the oppo up going again.

overall a great player in the evening have had with it look forward to more elaborate use and more experience in exploring !
Many thanks for this comprehensive note. Most appreciated. Quick question for you. I was interested in knowing which other streaming apps are available for the unit. Can I ask you tell me which ones? Many thanks, Adi
adiraval is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #424 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have a question for you owners: i have a 9000 and i'm very happy with the player quality, especially withj my Jvc N9 projector. The player did not play HD audio from mkv video files. That's annoying but what drives me mad is that i can't switch audio tracks when playing video files from my Synology NAS. I'm stuck with the first audio track it find and if is an HD audio track i have no audio. No way to change i have only the option for the first audio track and the first subtitle track. Is there a way to change this?
locutus2k is offline  
post #425 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,267
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
9000 vs 820

Other than the analog audio upgrades, is there any real discernible difference between the 9000 and the 820? I'm using an anamorphic lens and other than the obvious build quality, any features or menu item differences?

Thanks!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
thebland is online now  
post #426 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
I have a question for you owners: i have a 9000 and i'm very happy with the player quality, especially withj my Jvc N9 projector. The player did not play HD audio from mkv video files. That's annoying but what drives me mad is that i can't switch audio tracks when playing video files from my Synology NAS. I'm stuck with the first audio track it find and if is an HD audio track i have no audio. No way to change i have only the option for the first audio track and the first subtitle track. Is there a way to change this?
It's a disc player, and those limitations are actually in the manual (MKV, Compression methods Video: H.264/HEVC, Audio: AAC, PCM, Vorbis, FLAC), and I expect as they are an official player and don't want people using it for rips. Honestly if you are wanting something to play rips, you are better off getting a dedicated device like a Zidoo. And for streaming, better off with an AppleTV or similar. You could convert it to PCM I guess, but you'd never get lossless. It would be great if it could for everything, as you could use the optimizer. It would be nice if it had a HDMI in like I think the oppo did.
_Vindicare_ likes this.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #427 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,094
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3003 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
9000 vs 820



Other than the analog audio upgrades, is there any real discernible difference between the 9000 and the 820? I'm using an anamorphic lens and other than the obvious build quality, any features or menu item differences?



Thanks!


Hi jeff i have both the 820 & 9000
For me im using the 9000 for the 350 nits for my projector Sony VPL - 995es as i dont have a lumagen ( im only running a 117” 2:37 Stewart studiotech g3 ) and the tonemap works extremely well. With your 5000es if your running a lumagen to do the tone mapping you can use any player.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
post #428 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 16,492
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6845 Post(s)
Liked: 15382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Hi jeff i have both the 820 & 9000
For me im using the 9000 for the 350 nits for my projector Sony VPL - 995es as i dont have a lumagen ( im only running a 117” 2:37 Stewart studiotech g3 ) and the tonemap works extremely well. With your 5000es if your running a lumagen to do the tone mapping you can use any player.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Both the Panny players and a new pj too! The FraninMAX is most impressive.🤘

What made you leave JVC?

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #429 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,094
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3003 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Both the Panny players and a a new pj too! The FraninMAX is most impressive.



What made you leave JVC?


Not too bad for a family of 4. Wanted to try something different


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
post #430 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 16,492
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6845 Post(s)
Liked: 15382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Not too bad for a family of 4. Wanted to try something different


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You always were a multiple player playa.

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #431 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,094
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3003 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
You always were a multiple player playa.


Ha ha with my age i can only handle 2 at a time now


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
post #432 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 PM
Member
 
rexrode78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, I will soon be an owner as well! Got the shipping notice today!!!
I have a Sony x800 right now connected to a LG ub849800, look forward to seeing if there is any perceivable difference for me between the two players.
Looking to pick up a Samsung Q90r soon to replace the LG as well.
I'm not an experienced calibrator nor ever really had much experience with higher end equipment, so I will be leaning on you good people to hopefully lead me in the right direction & make all this great equipment really shine.

Thanks for the great forum!

Samsung 82" Q90 - Panasonic UB9000 - Anthem MRX 720 - Emotiva T2's & C2 - SVS SB16
rexrode78 is offline  
post #433 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,267
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Hi jeff i have both the 820 & 9000
For me im using the 9000 for the 350 nits for my projector Sony VPL - 995es as i dont have a lumagen ( im only running a 117” 2:37 Stewart studiotech g3 ) and the tonemap works extremely well. With your 5000es if your running a lumagen to do the tone mapping you can use any player.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hey!

I have an 820 but am not using a Lumagen... and have an Paladin lens - I know the Sony 500 (and 995es) have internal software to use an anamorphic lens without a Lumagen. RE: tone mapping, I assumed I'd use such in the Sony 5000 and defeat the tone mapping in the player... is that how you'd do it?


Any PQ differences between the players?

Thanks!!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
thebland is online now  
post #434 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,450
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Hey!

I have an 820 but am not using a Lumagen... and have an Paladin lens - I know the Sony 500 (and 995es) have internal software to use an anamorphic lens without a Lumagen. RE: tone mapping, I assumed I'd use such in the Sony 5000 and defeat the tone mapping in the player... is that how you'd do it?


Any PQ differences between the players?

Thanks!!
Sounds like an Oppo or Cambridge might be better suited for your setup as they have aspect ratio control and you are going to use your projector's tone mapping.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #435 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Not too bad for a family of 4. Wanted to try something different


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So it wasn't the laser? I keep in the back of my mind, I'd like a laser for my next one...
MOberhardt is offline  
post #436 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,094
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3003 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Hey!



I have an 820 but am not using a Lumagen... and have an Paladin lens - I know the Sony 500 (and 995es) have internal software to use an anamorphic lens without a Lumagen. RE: tone mapping, I assumed I'd use such in the Sony 5000 and defeat the tone mapping in the player... is that how you'd do it?





Any PQ differences between the players?



Thanks!!


I selected the low luminace projector setting 350 nits and turned the HDR optimizer on and the projector left the HDR to AUTO.

The difference is the 350 nits mode between the players which works really well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
post #437 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,094
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3003 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
So it wasn't the laser? I keep in the back of my mind, I'd like a laser for my next one...


Of course it was the laser. Definitely worth it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MOberhardt likes this.

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
post #438 of 596 Old 04-26-2019, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
It's a disc player, and those limitations are actually in the manual (MKV, Compression methods Video: H.264/HEVC, Audio: AAC, PCM, Vorbis, FLAC), and I expect as they are an official player and don't want people using it for rips. Honestly if you are wanting something to play rips, you are better off getting a dedicated device like a Zidoo. And for streaming, better off with an AppleTV or similar. You could convert it to PCM I guess, but you'd never get lossless. It would be great if it could for everything, as you could use the optimizer. It would be nice if it had a HDMI in like I think the oppo did.
Ok, i've got the audio HD issue, but my main concern was the fact that is not possible to switch audio/subtitle tracks over a NAS conncection (Synology in my case). I'm not asking for hd audio, just to switch audio/subtitles tracks on the fly.
locutus2k is offline  
post #439 of 596 Old 04-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Agenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern Germany
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
9000 vs 820

Other than the analog audio upgrades, is there any real discernible difference between the 9000 and the 820? I'm using an anamorphic lens and other than the obvious build quality, any features or menu item differences?

Thanks!
IF we can believe that below test on youtube is been made "correct", than there is an obvious difference in picture quality between both players.



Some say that the picture of the 9000 reveal more details. I would say it is brighter against the picture of the 820, but there is also some chroma ringing (?) at timestamp 1:06. I have also the feeling that the dark level on the 9000 picture is a bit washed out (others may say that there are more details visible in darker areas...)


_Vindicare_ likes this.

Setup: NAD T758v3 + NAD M25: 7x Jamo D500 + 2x Jamo SUB660 + 4x Jamo IC206 / Epson LS-10000 / Panasonic UB9004 / 2x Quake Q10b: Earthquake XJ-700R / Behringer DCX2496
Agenor is offline  
post #440 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Carbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Boston, MA , USA
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Anyone using a Yamaha 5100 & Panny UB9000 combo getting no sound and then a popping sound from their speakers when playing movies with Atmos Sound?

Second time this has happened to me. Once with a movie I can't remember and last night with Bumblebee.

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
Carbo is offline  
post #441 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenor View Post
IF we can believe that below test on youtube is been made "correct", than there is an obvious difference in picture quality between both players.



Some say that the picture of the 9000 reveal more details. I would say it is brighter against the picture of the 820, but there is also some chroma ringing (?) at timestamp 1:06. I have also the feeling that the dark level on the 9000 picture is a bit washed out (others may say that there are more details visible in darker areas...)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77rwMAYe9M4
That test - IMHO - is not made "correct". There is an evident boost in contrast in the 820 setup, maybe in the player maybe in the TV. I suspect they used some sort of adaptive contrast on the tv with the 820. Even so, the image on the 9000 is more overall "correct" in my opinion. Otherwise Panasonic engineered his players so that the flagship looked "washed out" if compared to the cheaper model ... c'mon.
locutus2k is offline  
post #442 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
645824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
9000 vs 820

Other than the analog audio upgrades, is there any real discernible difference between the 9000 and the 820? I'm using an anamorphic lens and other than the obvious build quality, any features or menu item differences?

Thanks!
The analog output volume level can be adjusted on the 9000 (simultaneously), but not on the 820. This is a big deal for people (like me) transitioning from an Oppo 103D. The Oppo also has volume on the remote; but for the Panasonic, volume control is down a few menu levels and requires a smart remote to macro it.

This sole difference is worth the added $500 between the 820 and the 9000 (because it avoids buying a $2k receiver).

Scott
645824 is offline  
post #443 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,267
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
The analog output volume level can be adjusted on the 9000 (simultaneously), but not on the 820. This is a big deal for people (like me) transitioning from an Oppo 103D. The Oppo also has volume on the remote; but for the Panasonic, volume control is down a few menu levels and requires a smart remote to macro it.

This sole difference is worth the added $500 between the 820 and the 9000 (because it avoids buying a $2k receiver).

Scott
But other than analog audio... what gives here?

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
thebland is online now  
post #444 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk)

I knew my curiosity would eventually get the best of me so I ordered a 9000 from VE this week after seeing they still had some available from the April allotment and actually received it today. The build quality is solid but the Pioneer LX500 which I’ve been using since October still beats it in a couple areas like quieter disc drive and the buttons on the player.

The HDR Optimizer is legit which I knew since I had an 820 for a short time before getting my Pioneer. The firmware update to 1.55 took a little longer than I expected and unless I missed it disappointed there isn’t a save settings option considering how many settings there are.

My one concern with this player will always be the fan as I could hear the fan or noise from the player because of the fan on the 820 from across the room. I haven’t heard anything from the 9000 yet but a quiet fan now doesn’t mean it always will be. Not crazy about some of the settings which I’m still going through but not being able to disable the auto turn off is just stupid.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 04-27-2019 at 06:40 PM.
T-smith is online now  
post #445 of 596 Old 04-28-2019, 02:50 AM
Member
 
Agenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern Germany
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
That test - IMHO - is not made "correct". ... ... c'mon.
Yes, I get the same feeling, too. Furthermore I think that the same picture components (HCX-Processor, etc.) are installed in both models, so why should there be any difference?



Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
My one concern with this player will always be the fan as I could hear the fan or noise from the player because of the fan on the 820 from across the room. I haven’t heard anything from the 9000 yet but a quiet fan now doesn’t mean it always will be. Not crazy about some of the settings which I’m still going through but not being able to disable the auto turn off is just stupid.
I can assure that the 9004 (9000) model is absolutely quiet, only when a disc is read-in the drive noise comes up. Never heard the fan running.
BUT apart from that, the sturdier built, better remote and the analog section, I think there is no other big difference to the 820-model.

Setup: NAD T758v3 + NAD M25: 7x Jamo D500 + 2x Jamo SUB660 + 4x Jamo IC206 / Epson LS-10000 / Panasonic UB9004 / 2x Quake Q10b: Earthquake XJ-700R / Behringer DCX2496
Agenor is offline  
post #446 of 596 Old 04-28-2019, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The 9000 is dead silent, i can't hear any noise from fan or even disc spinning. Is built like a tank with no deadly vibrations (the Oppo with some UHD disc shake a lot when loading, the 9000 don't).
G-Rex likes this.
locutus2k is offline  
post #447 of 596 Old 04-28-2019, 09:49 AM
Member
 
Nikola Tesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38

After living with my UB9000 for a month, I cannot fault its operation. Audio and video quality are superb, and the unit was solidly built for outstanding long-term performance.

By the same token, I must note a few operational shortcomings that I think should be addressed with future firmware updates. The first is the absence of a picture aspect ratio adjustment. Yes, I can make that adjustment at the television, but I'd rather lock it in at the source, as I was able to do with my Oppo. Not a showstopper, just a minor complaint.

Secondly, the player automatically switches to standby mode too quickly after being paused. I have been unable to to find a menu option to defeat this auto-standby feature or even extend the time period before it kicks in. This is somewhat irritating and should be addressed.

The player's third quirk is that it appears incapable of resuming playback from the point on a disc where it was before powering down. This is rather bothersome and really needs to be remedied. After all, even bargain basement players can manage to remember where they were on a disc before powering off.

Finally, my biggest beef is the UB9000's nonsensical screensaver operation - or rather lack of operation. The screensaver should kick in after a configurable period of time after playback has been paused, but it doesn't. According to the owner's manual, "While playing and pausing, etc., this function is not available." (The emphasis is mine, because this makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever to me. A screensaver that won't automatically activate during pause is as useless as a screen door on a submarine.



Rengozu and Agenor like this.

Last edited by Nikola Tesla; 04-28-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Nikola Tesla is offline  
post #448 of 596 Old 04-28-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,124
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post

After living with my UB9000 for a month, I cannot fault its operation. Audio and video quality are superb, and the unit was solidly built for outstanding long-term performance.

By the same token, I must note a few operational shortcomings that I think should be addressed with future firmware updates. The first is the absence of a picture aspect ratio adjustment. Yes, I can make that adjustment at the television, but I'd rather lock it in at the source, as I was able to do with my Oppo. Not a showstopper, just a minor complaint.

Secondly, the player automatically switches to standby mode too quickly after being paused. I have been unable to to find a menu option to defeat this auto-standby feature or even extend the time period before it kicks in. This is somewhat irritating and should be addressed.

The player's third quirk is that it appears incapable of resuming playback from the point on a disc where it was before powering down. This is rather bothersome and really needs to be remedied. After all, even bargain basement players can manage to remember where they were on a disc before powering off.

Finally, my biggest beef is the UB9000's nonsensical screensaver operation - or rather lack of operation. The screensaver should kick in after a configurable period of time after playback has been paused, but it doesn't. According to the owner's manual, "While playing and pausing, etc., this function is not available." (The emphasis is mine, because this makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever to me. A screensaver that won't automatically activate during pause is as useless as a screen door on a submarine.



Yep all valid considerations. I believe they are all exactly as you have noted without recourse for rectifying them. It is interesting but somewhat understandable that these weren't noted in any reviews I've seen.
Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #449 of 596 Old 04-28-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,124
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Hey!

I have an 820 but am not using a Lumagen... and have an Paladin lens - I know the Sony 500 (and 995es) have internal software to use an anamorphic lens without a Lumagen. RE: tone mapping, I assumed I'd use such in the Sony 5000 and defeat the tone mapping in the player... is that how you'd do it?


Any PQ differences between the players?

Thanks!!
Probably just the opposite have the Panasonic do the tone mapping.

art
Franin likes this.
Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #450 of 596 Old 04-28-2019, 09:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Rengozu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Any ideas if Panasonic takes user feedback somewhere for future firmware update considerations? I'd sure like to add more to the list a couple posts up.
Art Sonneborn likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
Rengozu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off