Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 227Likes

post #31 of 697 Old 01-12-2019, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
check it out ... see what works best...

any owners of this thing out there ? or are they some rare beast
I've had mine since November 2018 but I'm in Toronto.
alebonau likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 697 Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7eod View Post
I've had mine since November 2018 but I'm in Toronto.
care to share your thoughts ? found anyways to do anything with front display. or any insights regarding the audio clarity business

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #33 of 697 Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
Most of us are waiting on this weeks VE shipment.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 697 Old 01-12-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 67
According to the manual:

Analogue Volume (dB)
This adjusts the volume of all the analogue
AUDIO OUT terminals.

In my present system, my powered analog speakers are connected directly to my Oppo 103's analog outputs. And the Oppo remote changes the volume of those analog outputs.

Is there a way to use the Volume button on the Panasonic 9000's remote to control the volume of the 9000's analog outputs (like the Oppo does) ?

Thanks. This is my only roadblock to upgrading from my 103 to the 9000. I'm eager for 4K.

Scott
post #35 of 697 Old 01-13-2019, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
care to share your thoughts ? found anyways to do anything with front display. or any insights regarding the audio clarity business
The picture and sound quality are outstanding. I have not noticed a lot of differences between this unit and the UB900 that I previously owned - although it seems to load faster (at least the tray opens quicker). It's quiet - no noticeable fan noise. Very well built. I found no way to change the front display (it just shows the movie's elapsed play time). I've noticed that a few times after pausing, the screen stays showing the basic disc information in the top middle/right for longer than it should as the movie resumes playing. Not sure what high clarity sound is all about.
post #36 of 697 Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a problem with my UB9000.
On a Dolby Vision disc (Jumanji 4k) every now and then some picture artifacts are shown and right after I get severe lip sync problems with Audio. Bitstream audio is sent via HDMI Audio to my audio processor. If I restart the player or push Stop and then Play the lip sync problem goes away. I never saw this with my Oppo 203.

Post note:
I am using the ARC port on my TV for the HDMI (CEC is disabled). I wonder if this matters (i.e. potential negative impact).

Bryston SP4/ATI AT527/Panasonic DP-UB9000/LG OLED 65E6V

Last edited by Extreman; 01-15-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Additional Info
post #37 of 697 Old 01-14-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Can someone please give me the height of the 9000 including feet. I am adjusting my rack for it. I came across a document that said 81mm, which is 3.2”. Seems a bit taller in the photos. Thanks.
post #38 of 697 Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Please keep the shipping notices to the Anticipation thread and technical discussion and questions for owner's in the owner's thread.
OzHDHT likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #39 of 697 Old 01-14-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreman View Post
I have a problem with my UB9000.
On a Dolby Vision disc (Jumanji 4k) every now and then some picture artifacts are shown and right after I get severe lip sync problems with Audio. Bitstream audio is sent via HDMI Audio to my audio processor. If I restart the player or push Stop and then Play the lip sync problem goes away. I never saw this with my Oppo 203.
hi extreman, I dont use dolby vision, but I'd suggest be sure to let panasonic know. I would lodge as a fault. that said are you splitting audio / video across hdmi ? that usually results in audio / video not being in synch given the different processing time of audio vs video. not a problem see with audio and video going via the processor. but that doesnt explain the picture artefacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Can someone please give me the height of the 9000 including feet. I am adjusting my rack for it. I came across a document that said 81mm, which is 3.2”. Seems a bit taller in the photos. Thanks.
I just checked for you it is indeed 81mm it probably just looks bigger than it is with the photos its quite a slim line player but quite a chunky thing, like been chiseled from a block of metal !
G-Rex likes this.

post #40 of 697 Old 01-14-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
hi extreman, I dont use dolby vision, but I'd suggest be sure to let panasonic know. I would lodge as a fault. that said are you splitting audio / video across hdmi ? that usually results in audio / video not being in synch given the different processing time of audio vs video. not a problem see with audio and video going via the processor. but that doesnt explain the picture artefacts.

I just checked for you it is indeed 81mm it probably just looks bigger than it is with the photos its quite a slim line player but quite a chunky thing, like been chiseled from a block of metal !
Thanks for checking Alebonau!
alebonau likes this.
post #41 of 697 Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking of replacing a Sony X1000ES with the Panny 9000. Aside from the 9000 playing DV formats, I'm primarily interested in how the upscaling from standard definition DVDs compares.

If anyone has comments on this difference, I'd like to hear them!

Ed... I so value the resources and knowledge of AVSForum!
LG C8, Denon AVR-X4500H, Apple 4K TV, Sony UBP-X1000ES, 7.1.2 audio, (speakers = LCR-750 MKII for LCR with K-4 surrounds, V8 Movie sub, M&K K-7 rear surrounds, ELAC Debut 2.0 for FH)
post #42 of 697 Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 113
USB Input?

Can not view my files when connecting my hard drive.
Is an update needed?

Home Theater: Stewart -100” 4 Way Sreenwall Electric Masking, JVC-DLA-NX9 Tivo Vox, Oppo-UDP-205, Roku 4K Ultra, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic UB9000 , Marantz AV8802A-7.1 SSP, Ayre K5 MP Stereo Pre Amp, Clearaudio Concept Turntable, Schitt Audio Phono Pre Amp, Rotel RB-1070, Rotel RMB-1095, Rotel RB-933, Ayre-V5xe,Vandersteen-3A Signature-Front LR, Vandersteen-VCC-5-Center, Vandersteen-VSM-Surrounds and Atmos, Dual SVS PB16 Ultras Subwoofers.
post #43 of 697 Old 01-16-2019, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Got my player today. Nice looking and heavy . After hooking everything up I turned it on, display came on and I updated the firmware(maybe I should have left it alone). I now get a picture but no audio. I think I tried all the HDMI audio settings possible.

I use a separate hdmi audio and video cable. Seemed pretty straightforward but when it didn't work I checked the manual(tiny with small print) and I can't see that I've done anything wrong. I took the cables out and plugged them back into my Sony X800 and video and audio work perfect. There is also an advanced menu where you set the display type that I can't access. When I click on advanced the menu comes up but when I scroll down the menu it flips back to the previous page before I can access any settings. I tried resetting to original factory settings but still no change. I also tried rebooting but it didn't help. Guess I will call VE tomorrow.
post #44 of 697 Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post
Got my player today. Nice looking and heavy . After hooking everything up I turned it on, display came on and I updated the firmware(maybe I should have left it alone). I now get a picture but no audio. I think I tried all the HDMI audio settings possible.

I use a separate hdmi audio and video cable. Seemed pretty straightforward but when it didn't work I checked the manual(tiny with small print) and I can't see that I've done anything wrong. I took the cables out and plugged them back into my Sony X800 and video and audio work perfect. There is also an advanced menu where you set the display type that I can't access. When I click on advanced the menu comes up but when I scroll down the menu it flips back to the previous page before I can access any settings. I tried resetting to original factory settings but still no change. I also tried rebooting but it didn't help. Guess I will call VE tomorrow.
Do you have a scope screen by chance?

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #45 of 697 Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Do you have a scope screen by chance?

Yes I do, but I don't see what that would have to do with the audio.
post #46 of 697 Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

interesting developement, see post below from @Purple X who is in japan, any one with some experience of this. The 820 doesnt have the options mentioned below,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple X View Post
JVC Japan has just updated the marketing blurb for the new projectors to include a new section on Auto-tone mapping in conjunction with the new Panasonic DP-UB 9000 UHD player. This player is basically a 820 in an oppo like case.

Essentially the Japanese text says that there are two new settings on the Panasonic player, High bright Projector (emphasizes highlights) and basic bright Projector (emphasizes color reproduction) that are designed to specifically work in conjunction with JVC auto tone mapping.

Decoding what this means I would guess than the Panasonic player sends meta data to the JVC when these modes are on which results in correct settings in the JVC so it doesn't screw things up..

Edit:
The title implies this, but it is unclear in the blurb if it means that that the Auto tone mapping in the JVC was developed in conjunction with Panasonic (ie same algorithm when dealing with HDR10) or the settings in the Panasonic was developed to work with the JVC (I'm guessing the later) it is possible I guess that the Panasonic can use HDR10+ and maybe DV metadata to further improve the tone mapping)

post #47 of 697 Old 01-16-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post
Yes I do, but I don't see what that would have to do with the audio.
I was having trouble on my 820 bringing up certain menu adjustments and some screens looked like they were reverting back to the previous when I hit enter. The problem was that the Panasonic settings menu puts selection boxes on the very bottom of the image, and with my scope screen and PJ in the scope zoom setting it was putting selection boxes below my screen where I couldn't see them.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #48 of 697 Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

note I have updated the important info updates post above to include google translated note from panasonic on their tone mapping especially where developed in cooperation with JVC for projectors,

https://translate.google.com/transla...000%2Fhdr.html

Developed exclusively for projector in cooperation with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd.
The UB 9000 can select "Projector-specific setting (high brightness projector, basic brightness projector)" as the HDR display type for automatic HDR tone map.
By choosing this setting, the UB 9000 optimizes the video according to the projector, so the reproducibility of the color and gradation of the high-brightness part of the HDR video, which was difficult to express with the projector, will be improved * 1 .
This setting was realized by cooperating with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd. to carry out efforts to optimize HDR video. Combined with the company's projectors "DLA - V9R", "DLA - V7" and "DLA - V5", you can enjoy more rich colors and gradations of HDR image work on a large screen.
David Mathews likes this.

post #49 of 697 Old 01-16-2019, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thinking of pulling the trigger, curious about Dolby Vision with Sony A1E. Would like anyone who specifically knows if the Dolby Vision for the A1E is supported and is working.

If any can recall, OPPO had Dolby Vision and a Sony A1E finally came out with the DV update, however OPPO had to do another update because Song is difficult. Just curious if I were to pull the trigger I get the same experience on an OPPO in regards to DV.

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | Dynamo 700W | Sony XBR-65A1E | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration
post #50 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Send a message via Skype™ to I-SIBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by erudolph View Post
I'm thinking of replacing a Sony X1000ES with the Panny 9000. Aside from the 9000 playing DV formats, I'm primarily interested in how the upscaling from standard definition DVDs compares.

If anyone has comments on this difference, I'd like to hear them!
About DVD upscaling... I can't compare with the X1000ES, but I can compare with the x800 I own...

The Sony is pretty good, but the UB9000 is nothing short of amazing... I watch a lot of TV Series on DVD...

Pioneer UDP-LX500 - Oppo 203EU - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - KLIPSH R-120SW SUBWOOFER- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - NAIM ND5 XS 2 streamer - NAIM NAIT XS 2 stereo amplifier - Roon Core on the network

Last edited by I-SIBI; 01-17-2019 at 02:59 AM.
post #51 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
note I have updated the important info updates post above to include google translated note from panasonic on their tone mapping especially where developed in cooperation with JVC for projectors,

The UB 9000 can select "Projector-specific setting (high brightness projector, basic brightness projector)" as the HDR display type for automatic HDR tone map.
By choosing this setting, the UB 9000 optimizes the video according to the projector, so the reproducibility of the color and gradation of the high-brightness part of the HDR video, which was difficult to express with the projector, will be improved * 1 .
This setting was realized by cooperating with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd. to carry out efforts to optimize HDR video. Combined with the company's projectors "DLA - V9R", "DLA - V7" and "DLA - V5", you can enjoy more rich colors and gradations of HDR image work on a large screen.
Just curious, which of the JVC projectors do they consider high brightness and which are basic brightness or is it a choice depending on whether you wish to optimize saturation in color or optimize for brightest highlights? It’s a little confusing to me.
Rengozu likes this.
post #52 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Besides, without approximate peak nits as an input value it is essentially worthless.

Art
post #53 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Haven't seen mentioned that you have the option to see disc mastering info with the 9000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	500 nits.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	2512182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic projector MaxLL and MaxFall.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	2512184   Click image for larger version

Name:	High Luminance Projector MaxLL and MaxFall .jpg
Views:	106
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	2512186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Default 1000 nits data.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	2512188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setting changed to SDR-BT2020.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	2512190  

alebonau likes this.
post #54 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Just curious, which of the JVC projectors do they consider high brightness and which are basic brightness or is it a choice depending on whether you wish to optimize saturation in color or optimize for brightest highlights? It’s a little confusing to me.
I suspect its related to whether you can achieve something akin to output levels to enjoy benefits of HDR or not ? so in case of where have the luxury of output then can go with optimising for brightest highlights. where lacking a tad in output you then optimise for colours of course when brightness you achieve is dependant on projector you use but also the conditions ie throw and screen size. I run a relatively smaller screen with output up sleeve.... ie watch HDR on low lamp, iris clamped so in my case I would try the optimise for high brightness on low and high lamp, or I can also try the basic setting in low lamp and see what result I get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Besides, without approximate peak nits as an input value it is essentially worthless.
Art
essentially worthless is a bit of a call ! what we have here is a first I would suggest with maker and player maker collaborating for optimising HDR with projectors ... it makes the 9000 HOT property I would suggest. I certainly would love to try it with a jvc n7

post #55 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
Haven't seen mentioned that you have the option to see disc mastering info with the 9000
indeed and great screen shots ! as example, this is one of the benefits I do believe of the 9000 vs 820/900 lower rung players

post #56 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Is the HDR optimiser turned on along with the above settings?
post #57 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Hello All,

I am trying to view my Masciola Test Patterns via th USB input with no luck when I first connect the drive the Panasonic recognizes it but when I open it there is no file to choose.

Has anyone tried the usb Input yet?

Thanks

Home Theater: Stewart -100” 4 Way Sreenwall Electric Masking, JVC-DLA-NX9 Tivo Vox, Oppo-UDP-205, Roku 4K Ultra, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic UB9000 , Marantz AV8802A-7.1 SSP, Ayre K5 MP Stereo Pre Amp, Clearaudio Concept Turntable, Schitt Audio Phono Pre Amp, Rotel RB-1070, Rotel RMB-1095, Rotel RB-933, Ayre-V5xe,Vandersteen-3A Signature-Front LR, Vandersteen-VCC-5-Center, Vandersteen-VSM-Surrounds and Atmos, Dual SVS PB16 Ultras Subwoofers.
post #58 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:

Why would this only apply to those projectors? Do you really want both the 9000 and JVC tone-mapping at the same time? And those projectors aren't any "brighter" than the previous versions on the spec sheet. In fact, they're dimmer.

I wonder if this high brightness setting would apply to any of the recent JVC projectors.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #59 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Why would this only apply to those projectors? Do you really want both the 9000 and JVC tone-mapping at the same time? And those projectors aren't any "brighter" than the previous versions on the spec sheet. In fact, they're dimmer.

I wonder if this high brightness setting would apply to any of the recent JVC projectors.
because projectors dont have the output capability of flat panels, they already had flat panel specific settings. these are just there for the projectors. consider it preparing the tone mapping for projector to finish off. I think there is a note considering the setting gets output signal so projector can handle it best. the new jvc projectors have tone mapping on board. the above links provided indicate panasonic and jvc worked together on this. and there is an element in the disc player and an element in the projector. all we will know in time. I have the previous gen jvc x7000 it is rated at 1800 ansi lumen. ofcourse ! brightness is related to screen and throw.... what I achieve will be VERY different to someone else with a much smaller/larger screen, shorter/longer throw. the new jvc n7 is rated slightly higher at 1900 ansi lumen.

a LOT of questions, I wouldnt suggest we have all-any of the answers. i expect we will know more when people have actually tried both systems in isolation and conjunction. at present panasonic tone mapping is considered the best using meta data. at present jvc new projector is great in that it uses the meta data to tone map and has had great feedback to date. great both player and projector makers have collaborated on this and look forward to reading how much better it is in conjunction with both working together

high as i explained brightness relates to what you can achieve... on screen. its likely independent of projector itself
AidenL likes this.

Last edited by alebonau; 01-17-2019 at 03:23 PM.
post #60 of 697 Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD MAN View Post
Hello All,

I am trying to view my Masciola Test Patterns via th USB input with no luck when I first connect the drive the Panasonic recognizes it but when I open it there is no file to choose.

Has anyone tried the usb Input yet?

Thanks
havent yet, hopefully someone can answer...

I have used usb with the masciola patterns on a ub900 so suspect / hope no different with the 9000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page