Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk) - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 324Likes

post #631 of 1002 Old 07-16-2019, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by winwinc81 View Post
Pardon me and don't mind me asking, can it connect to NAS and play mkv, ISO files with successful sound format such as Atmos from NAS?
No
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1002 Old 07-16-2019, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
No
Thanks for your reply. No as in it can't be connected to NAS at all or despite connected, it can't play Atmos...?
post #633 of 1002 Old 07-16-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by winwinc81 View Post
Thanks for your reply. No as in it can't be connected to NAS at all or despite connected, it can't play Atmos...?
It can not do Atmos or lossless codecs.have a look at the manual and they list what codecs are supported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 1002 Old 07-17-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
It can not do Atmos or lossless codecs.have a look at the manual and they list what codecs are supported.
That's okAnyway thank you for helping here
post #635 of 1002 Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 41
No IOS or Android remote control for the modern UB9000

Bryston SP4/ATI AT527/Panasonic DP-UB9000/LG OLED 65E6V
post #636 of 1002 Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Can the Netflix app of the UB9000 have 24p or 24Hz native output? or is it forced 60p or 60Hz?
Can the Netflix app of the UB9000 support Dolby Atmos?
Thank you for your help.
post #637 of 1002 Old 07-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello - was hoping you can help me with a question regarding the ub9000 that you reviewed. According to specs and the manual, it can read and play back dsd64 128 and 256. My question that I can’t find and answer to is:
does the player convert dsd
to pcm for hdmi? What about if you just use the analog outs? I’m looking for a multi channel dac and this might work as long as it does not down convert dsd using the analog 7.1 or xlr outs. The hdmi conversion makes sense but I want to know if it down converts dsd to pcm
post #638 of 1002 Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhombixt View Post
Hello - was hoping you can help me with a question regarding the ub9000 that you reviewed. According to specs and the manual, it can read and play back dsd64 128 and 256. My question that I can’t find and answer to is:
to pcm for hdmi? What about if you just use the analog outs? I’m looking for a multi channel dac and this might work as long as it does not down convert dsd using the analog 7.1 or xlr outs. The hdmi conversion makes sense but I want to know if it down converts dsd to pcm
I do not know if the UB9000 has the special DACs to support DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion (no intermediate conversion to LPCM first), but it might help you to know that "down convert" is not really what goes on when DSD is converted to LPCM. At least, not if it is done correctly.

For more info, see my Blog post here:

Understanding DSD to LPCM Conversion, OR SACD "Noise Shaping" for Fun & Profit!

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #639 of 1002 Old 07-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhombixt View Post
Hello - was hoping you can help me with a question regarding the ub9000 that you reviewed. According to specs and the manual, it can read and play back dsd64 128 and 256. My question that I can’️t find and answer to is:
to pcm for hdmi? What about if you just use the analog outs? I’️m looking for a multi channel dac and this might work as long as it does not down convert dsd using the analog 7.1 or xlr outs. The hdmi conversion makes sense but I want to know if it down converts dsd to pcm
I do not know if the UB9000 has the special DACs to support DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion (no intermediate conversion to LPCM first), but it might help you to know that "down convert" is not really what goes on when DSD is converted to LPCM. At least, not if it is done correctly.

For more info, see my Blog post here:

Understanding DSD to LPCM Conversion, OR SACD "Noise Shaping" for Fun & Profit!

--Bob
Thanks for the information Bob. What I have been trying to decide is to splurge on oppo 205 and sell my 203 or keep my 203 and add yet another player so I can try out the dsd mch 128 and stereo dsd256. I don’t be want to have to buy a pc to connect to the oppo 205 just to use the dac for 256 ,512 . I’d like to use a nas and
just use the player to find music. I got my hands on a ub7006 from Marantz new in box to match my new av8805 so I’m covered for my legacy dvd a and small sacd disc collection. I’m just trying to understand what most people use for Hi res audio for pcm. I’d have to configure the ub9000 to use 7.1 and the xlr outs for dsd assuming the player will just pass the dsd audio. If it does not, then maybe hdmi out and xlr for just the 256 stereo audio. I’m just a newbie with hi res. I could buy the player and try it I guess - it’s just that the oppo 203 plays some of the sample Atmos and mkv files that have lossless audio and I don’t want to give up that functionality .
post #640 of 1002 Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Any idea of if there will be any software additions/upgrade patches any time soon and what they're rumored to be working on? (if anything)

Still hoping eventually it will give me the option of having dual audio coming from the HDMI and the AV ports at the same time, and also actual 21:9 cinema modes.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #641 of 1002 Old 07-25-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk)

Version 1.60 is available today

This is the only note I see about this release on the website

Playability of Blu-ray Disc
Stability of system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alebonau, MOberhardt and Rengozu like this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #642 of 1002 Old 07-28-2019, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I feel like the player stays paused much longer now after the last update. If this is the case, two thumbs up from me.

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Black Diamond Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra
AV8805 / UB9000 / AppleTV 4K / PS4 Pro / Connect / Node 2i / RPM-10 C
McIntosh Power / Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3 / SVS PC4000 Bottom End
post #643 of 1002 Old 07-29-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7244 Post(s)
Liked: 16466
So the Lama says to me, download 1.60 and you will have playability of blu-ray disc and stability of system. So I have that going for me. Which is nice.
Panson likes this.

post #644 of 1002 Old 07-29-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
I feel like the player stays paused much longer now after the last update. If this is the case, two thumbs up from me.
I'm not so sure anything has changed. Maybe...

After 1.60 was installed I put in a standard Blu-ray (Trading Places), queued it up and put it on pause. I waited 22 minutes and went to check the player. Bummer, the player had activated the "off timer".

Now, that's a little bit different than a complete shutdown. When I pressed the play button on the remote, the player woke up and, after displaying "Off timer activated" on the screen (twice), the movie restarted exactly where I had paused it. It got back to playing the movie pretty quickly. And that's WAY better than a complete shutdown that forces the disc to reload from the beginning.

However, that's STILL not what I was hoping for. I just want the darn thing to STAY in pause mode for at least 1 hour. No off timer, no shutdown. Just hold pause for 1 hour.

The Trading Places disc I grabbed just happened to be a recent purchase and it was sitting right by the player. I've never played it before this test. Maybe NOTHING has changed? Maybe this particular disc would have done the same thing before the 1.60 firmware?

I plan to test again later today, using a disc that I've had in the player (on pause) before when the player went into automatic shutdown.

BTW, the time-out period is 20 minutes and has been 20 minutes since the UB9000 was released. Some folks on another forum thought it was 10 minutes and they only waited 15 minutes to declare the problem fixed. Nope.

Mark
post #645 of 1002 Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

After I received the UB9000 (back in January) the first two movies we showed in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater were 'Incredibles 2' and 'MI:Fallout'. With BOTH films (standard Blu-rays because Garage Theater is 1080p) the UB9000 went into shutdown after 20 minutes on pause.

I just tested it again (after 1.60 update) with 'MI:Fallout'. I'm disappointed to report that after 20 minutes the player shutdown. When I pressed the play button on the remote, the player came back on, "Off timer was activated (player)." was displayed on the screen (twice), and then the disc started over from the very beginning (menu). It did NOT start off from the paused position (as with my earlier test using 'Trading Places').

I guess 'Trading Places' has a disc-based resume feature and 'MI:Fallout' does not.

Regardless, when played in the UB9000 (firmware 1.60), neither disc displays the behavior many of us desire (hold at the paused spot indefinitely or for at least 1 hour). Frankly, I don't think anything regarding auto shutdown has changed at all with the 1.60 update.

It's been 6 months. Panasonic has had plenty of time to fix the pause/shutdown issue. It's truly sad that an expensive player that is intended for the serious videophile doesn't have a basic feature found on much less expensive (competitor) players.

Grrrrr...

Mark
post #646 of 1002 Old 07-29-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
It's been 6 months. Panasonic has had plenty of time to fix the pause/shutdown issue. It's truly sad that an expensive player that is intended for the serious videophile doesn't have a basic feature found on much less expensive (competitor) players.

Grrrrr...

Mark

It’s technically not an issue though since they designed it to operate in this way so in their mind there isn’t anything to fix.

Most players do have an auto shut off but they also have an option to turn that setting on and off so the real question is why did Panasonic not include a similar setting and would they consider adding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #647 of 1002 Old 07-29-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
It’s technically not an issue though since they designed it to operate in this way so in their mind there isn’t anything to fix.

Most players do have an auto shut off but they also have an option to turn that setting on and off so the real question is why did Panasonic not include a similar setting and would they consider adding it.
You may not be aware of the fact that Robert Zohn (Value Electronics) has been in contact with Panasonic's engineers in Japan regarding the UB9000's (and UB820) auto shutoff. Based on Robert's posts in other forums, I believed that Panasonic was not only aware of the "issue", but was planning to do exactly what you mention—add a setting option—in the next firmware update. Well, 1.60 is/was the next firmware update. Several of us have been complaining about this since January or earlier.

Bottom line, Panasonic's engineers in Japan are very aware of the unhappiness with the stupid auto shutoff after only 20 minutes on pause.

Mark
post #648 of 1002 Old 07-29-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
hello guys, i upgraded some weeks ago to a UB9000 from a Sony BDP-S5000ES.

It's paired with a Marantz AV8805 and a Sony VPL-HW55ES.

did the firmware upgrade with no problems, my questions are:

Did you guys install some kind of USB Storage on the UB9000 for BDLive? The Sony unit brought one in the box, but the Pana brought none.

My Projector does not support HDR should i have the HDR optimiser on?
post #649 of 1002 Old 07-29-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So I wonder if the playability and the stability of the system was geared towards issues with movies being paused at times and then skipping or having sync issues with the sound. I know this isn't a "common" issue, but I've seen enough people on this thread mention it. Myself being one of the contenders.
Extreman likes this.

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | Dynamo 700W | Sony XBR-65A1E | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration
post #650 of 1002 Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 954
I'm about to pick this up tomorrow, any of you guys pair it up with a Sony A9G or Z9D? Looking for some impressions and settings recommendations, particularly with the HDR Optimizer and upscaling...currently have an Oppo 203 as well. Looking forward to playing with everything. Thanks.
post #651 of 1002 Old 07-30-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I've had the 9000 paired with a 65 inch Sony A9F (2018 model) since May. Play mostly 4K blu ray along with some standard blu ray. No problem with movies coded with Dolby Vision or HDR only 4K. Have both HDR and DV set to on, with HDR+ off on the 9000. DV takes priority over HDR on discs coded for both. HD Optimizer is set to on, but is automatically disabled with DV movies. DV will flash on the screen at the start of the movie or you'll see HDR if no DV. Just make sure the HDMI input on the A9G is set to enhanced All inputs offer enhanced, but the default is set to standard. Have also been impressed with the up-scaling of standard blu ray. Steaming over my Amazon 4K firestick is also excellent. Don't use this system for watching cable

Absolutely no real issues, although sometimes I get a tearing of the picture when playing 4K discs. Resolved by stopping the 9000 and removing the disc. Reinserting and/or cleaning always resolves the problem. Haven't figured out why it's happening, since I do clean all my discs when purchased.

The Panasonic and Sony are a great combination. Will make you want to go out and buy more 4K movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I'm about to pick this up tomorrow, any of you guys pair it up with a Sony A9G or Z9D? Looking for some impressions and settings recommendations, particularly with the HDR Optimizer and upscaling...currently have an Oppo 203 as well. Looking forward to playing with everything. Thanks.
pbz06 likes this.
post #652 of 1002 Old 07-31-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Alright, got it hooked up and ran through my settings. I'm impressed by the weight of the thing! And I'm digging the tray.

My A9G arrives Friday (and I'm taking the day off ) so I'll have plenty of time to mess around.

Question: anywhere I can find a detailed summary of some of the settings? I'm pretty much on "Auto" everything, but some things like the "Sound Clarity / Video On" is confusing...should I keep it enabled or does it affect the video quality in favor of audio? or is it only for analog connections?

I only use the player for UHD discs..

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #653 of 1002 Old 08-01-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Sound clarity/video on would be say if you're playing a audio disc and you wanted to turnoff the video processing to reduce any interference. You would want to leave it off.

Play with the settings. Make sure you select OLED for display. The Optimizer will come up once connected to your A9G and you're playing a non-dolby vision disc. Just bring it up from the remote video setting button. Make sure it's on. I leave mine at the default settings.
pbz06 likes this.
post #654 of 1002 Old 08-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Is there a VUDU app yet?

post #655 of 1002 Old 08-05-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shut Off issue

I purchased my UB9000 about a month ago but have not really used it until this past weekend when I installed my new Epson 6050 4k projector.

I was demoing a few scenes from "The Shallows" in 4k with a friend and after about 15min into the movie the player decided to completely power down for no reason. I powered the player back up and it asked if I wanted to start from where I left off.

I did just upgrade to FW 1.6 right before I put the disc in. Has anybody had this happen. It kind of freaked me out.

Also what HDR settings should I set in the player for my projector?
post #656 of 1002 Old 08-06-2019, 04:23 AM

Amazing player. I was using the Xbox One X as my previous and thought I needed an upgrade. Immediate improvement. Setting up was a piece of cake. One thing I don't like (unless I haven't figured it out) is no resume. Drives me insane because the wife constantly falls asleep and I have to flick through chapters the next day.

Other than that it's near perfect.
post #657 of 1002 Old 08-06-2019, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1980 View Post
Amazing player. I was using the Xbox One X as my previous and thought I needed an upgrade. Immediate improvement. Setting up was a piece of cake. One thing I don't like (unless I haven't figured it out) is no resume. Drives me insane because the wife constantly falls asleep and I have to flick through chapters the next day.

Other than that it's near perfect.
oh yes vs xbox one X no comparison am an owner of both too. dedicated players will always win. why torture self using a gaming machine to watch movies

re disc resume... that's not a player thing. thats due to programming of blu-ray. not all have the feature...ub9000 100% will disc resume... if the disc allows that feature
https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/...les/S500019716

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #658 of 1002 Old 08-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Took delivery and hooked the UB9000 over my lunch break. Didn't have much time to play with it other than to update the firmware, set the HDR Optimizer to ON and play a quick scene from Hacksaw Ridge. According to what I'm finding online my TV has a peek brightness of 650 nits (Vizio M-65-E0). Anyone know which of the settings might match up best with my set?
post #659 of 1002 Old 08-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoper101 View Post
Took delivery and hooked the UB9000 over my lunch break. Didn't have much time to play with it other than to update the firmware, set the HDR Optimizer to ON and play a quick scene from Hacksaw Ridge. According to what I'm finding online my TV has a peek brightness of 650 nits (Vizio M-65-E0). Anyone know which of the settings might match up best with my set?
To answer my own question. It seems like the low setting is yielding the best results.
post #660 of 1002 Old 08-07-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoper101 View Post
To answer my own question. It seems like the low setting is yielding the best results.
That sounds about right. I'd let the UB9000 do the heavy lifting/processing of the tone mapping and take it down to a more manageable amount for the TV to do the rest (if any).

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page