Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk) - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 272Likes

post #691 of 841 Old 08-18-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 View Post
Damn, that sucks. So it sounds like out of all the streamers and BD players only the OPPO can play mkvs without any video/audio restrictions. Wish I would've had the foresight to buy one because dropping $1k on a used discontinued player is a bit much. I guess authoring mkvs to UHD and burning them is a workaround but then will need the appropriate burner and discs ($10 BDXL for <50GB files).

Maybe the new Shield TV whenever it hits the market, hopefully early 2020.
Unfortunately the Panny or Oppo will not play BDXLs(older Panasonic 900 may?). ATV 4K and a few other media streamers will play the 4K MKVs so check out the media streaming forum.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 841 Old 08-18-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 483
First issue ever on my 9000. Cleaned avengers endgame before playing quick drops and freezes time 1:30 1:36 went out of sync each time pressed ff and play went back into sync my thinking didn’t clean disc enough. Just checking any one have this issue. Had player since September and first issue. I recently had a pioneer lx500 which did this more frequently and I returned it. But beginning to think this is more common among players especially with uhh discs.
post #693 of 841 Old 08-18-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
First issue ever on my 9000. Cleaned avengers endgame before playing quick drops and freezes time 1:30 1:36 went out of sync each time pressed ff and play went back into sync my thinking didn’t clean disc enough. Just checking any one have this issue. Had player since September and first issue. I recently had a pioneer lx500 which did this more frequently and I returned it. But beginning to think this is more common among players especially with uhh discs.

I had issues with Avengers Endgame on both my Panasonic 9000 and Pioneer LX500 players last night.

I started on the Panasonic and had a freeze about 20 mins in. I decided to switch to Pioneer after cleaning didn’t help and it froze at same exact spot then had a couple more freezes throughout and ended up finishing the last ten mins on Vudu.

The only other disc I had a freeze with on the Panasonic was Toy Story 3 towards the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 841 Old 08-18-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Quote:
First issue ever on my 9000. Cleaned avengers endgame before playing quick drops and freezes time 1:30 1:36 went out of sync each time pressed ff and play went back into sync my thinking didn&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t clean disc enough. Just checking any one have this issue. Had player since September and first issue. I recently had a pioneer lx500 which did this more frequently and I returned it. But beginning to think this is more common among players especially with uhh discs.

I had issues with Avengers Endgame on both my Panasonic 9000 and Pioneer LX500 players last night.

I started on the Panasonic and had a freeze about 20 mins in. I decided to switch to Pioneer after cleaning didn&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t help and it froze at same exact spot then had a couple more freezes throughout and ended up finishing the last ten mins on Vudu.

The only other disc I had a freeze with on the Panasonic was Toy Story 3 towards the end.

I’m going to watch Endgame on my Panasonic 820 in a little while.
I will report any play back issues if I have any.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #695 of 841 Old 08-18-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I started on the Panasonic and had a freeze about 20 mins in. I decided to switch to Pioneer after cleaning didn’t help and it froze at same exact spot then had a couple more freezes throughout and ended up finishing the last ten mins on Vudu.

After the second issue it played through fine. I am beginning to think this is more of a disc manufacturing issue than just the players. In the past I’ve had 4 different Sony 4K players with freezing issues and the lg 970 and the pioneer lx500 which I seriously am still considering repurchasing. Look at the current Sony threads freezing issues on some of the x800m3 and 1100es players.

Last edited by william06; 08-19-2019 at 03:08 AM.
post #696 of 841 Old 08-18-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My copy of Avengers End Game 4K UHD has a playback issue on my 820 @ the 8:36 mark I’m getting studder pixilated freezing then skipping, every time at that same time stamp. Now I played the same disc in my Sony X700 and no issues and play right through the same time stamp flawlessly. I played infinity war with no problems earlier and other discs have been fine! My first real playback issue. I have posted this on the 820 thread also.
Any recommendations?

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
post #697 of 841 Old 08-18-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 7049 Post(s)
Liked: 15764
I haven’t had the 3+ hours to watch all of Endgame yet, but I did throw the disc in and try all the troubled times posted above. No issues on my 9000 (knocking on wood). Will try and watch the whole movie this weekend.

post #698 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Endgame played through no problems. Decent picture quality considering they squeezed 3 hours onto a BD66 disc.

Clark
post #699 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
My copy of Avengers End Game 4K UHD has a playback issue on my 820 @ the 8:36 mark I’m getting studder pixilated freezing then skipping, every time at that same time stamp. Now I played the same disc in my Sony X700 and no issues and play right through the same time stamp flawlessly. I played infinity war with no problems earlier and other discs have been fine! My first real playback issue. I have posted this on the 820 thread also.
Any recommendations?
Try cleaning the disc and if that doesn’t help return it for another copy.

Clark
post #700 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Unfortunately the Panny or Oppo will not play BDXLs(older Panasonic 900 may?). ATV 4K and a few other media streamers will play the 4K MKVs so check out the media streaming forum.
Also I could not get it to play two MP4 files from USB. The files are the "Leaf" and "Amaze" Dolby Atmos trailers downloadable from https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-trailers.html A quick Google search seems to confirm that Panasonic has trouble playing MP4 files on their TVs so this trouble seems to have carried over to this disc player.
post #701 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I started on the Panasonic and had a freeze about 20 (was closer to 28) mins in. I decided to switch to Pioneer after cleaning didn’t help and it froze at same exact spot then had a couple more freezes throughout and ended up finishing the last ten mins on Vudu.

I exchanged my Avengers Endgame disc package at Best Buy today and the new disc didn’t freeze on either the Panasonic or Pioneer at the 28 min mark it did on the previous disc.

I didn’t try any other spots and don’t know when I’ll be watching this 3 hour borefest again but the new disc at least seems like an improvement.

-
post #702 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I’m going to watch Endgame on my Panasonic 820 in a little while.
I will report any play back issues if I have any.
I had no issues on my 820.
post #703 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I exchanged my Avengers Endgame disc package at Best Buy today and the new disc didn’t freeze on either the Panasonic or Pioneer at the 28 min mark it did on the previous disc.

I didn’t try any other spots and don’t know when I’ll be watching this 3 hour borefest again but the new disc at least seems like an improvement.

So far I haven’t done anything about this disc. I recleaned it and have yet to go to those trouble spots again, also I ordered a new lx500 today and will be anxious to try it on that if problem continues I will than exchange it.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #704 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So far I haven’t done anything about this disc. I recleaned it and have yet to go to those trouble spots again, also I ordered a new lx500 today and will be anxious to try it on that if problem continues I will than exchange it.

I haven’t returned a disc since the early days of DVD so not something I typically do but after reading so many others not have any issues and considering the original froze at the same exact spot on two different players I figured I’d at least try another disc.

I’m primarily using my Pioneer now in my main system with the Panasonic in my living room which won’t get much play there but nice to have two players when issues like this pop up. Wish I had the shelf space to keep both in main room.

-
post #705 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven’t returned a disc since the early days of DVD so not something I typically do but after reading so many others not have any issues and considering the original froze at the same exact spot on two different players I figured I’d at least try another disc.

I’m primarily using my Pioneer now in my main system with the Panasonic in my living room which won’t get much play there but nice to have two players when issues like this pop up. Wish I had the shelf space to keep both in main room.

I went back after recleaning thedisc and the first freeze area played fine the second around 1hr 36 min audio drop lost sound stopped and restarted at same spot played fine. Read somewhere about player leveling can cause some of these issues if I find it I’ll share here. Yes having two good players is nice and I have space in my stand. I only have the one system in living room downsized 6 years ago (bummer). Yes I think I have only returned one or two discs,but I want to keep this one to try on the pioneer when I get it.

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #706 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good thing for Disney they didn’t use a Triple layer disc to store this movie on. Judging by the problems they are having with the 2 sided version the 3 sided would likely be much worse. Likely a case of a huge order and a rush to get the discs pressed with not much QC. Not a good scenario for having problem free discs.
If you have a problem disc return it for another. Playability will not improve as it ages.

Clark
post #707 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I haven&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t returned a disc since the early days of DVD so not something I typically do but after reading so many others not have any issues and considering the original froze at the same exact spot on two different players I figured I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;d at least try another disc.

I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;m primarily using my Pioneer now in my main system with the Panasonic in my living room which won&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t get much play there but nice to have two players when issues like this pop up. Wish I had the shelf space to keep both in main room.

I went back after recleaning thedisc and the first freeze area played fine the second around 1hr 36 min audio drop lost sound stopped and restarted at same spot played fine. Read somewhere about player leveling can cause some of these issues if I find it I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;ll share here. Yes having two good players is nice and I have space in my stand. I only have the one system in living room downsized 6 years ago (bummer). Yes I think I have only returned one or two discs,but I want to keep this one to try on the pioneer when I get it.
I’ve tried everything with this disc as far as cleaning it. Same problem at both time stamps with my Panasonic 820. I’m returning it. First real problem I’ve had with a UHD disc that won’t play correctly on my 820! I know it’s not my player even though it was fine in the X700 at least the one scene, I never checked the other one. I want to play it on the 820 cause of the HDR settings it’s looks so much better. This is the first time I will be returning a UHD disc and haven’t returned a movie in years! I use to to have problems with Netflix rentals back in the day but those were in constant use and beat up. This was brand new and I handled it carefully so it has to be corrupted somehow?

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
post #708 of 841 Old 08-19-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ve tried everything with this disc as far as cleaning it. Same problem at both time stamps with my Panasonic 820. I’m returning it. First real problem I’ve had with a UHD disc that won’t play correctly on my 820! I know it’s not my player even though it was fine in the X700 at least the one scene, I never checked the other one. I want to play it on the 820 cause of the HDR settings it’s looks so much better. This is the first time I will be returning a UHD disc and haven’t returned a movie in years! I use to to have problems with Netflix rentals back in the day but those were in constant use and beat up. This was brand new and I handled it carefully so it has to be corrupted somehow?
You know exchanging it might be a good idea after all.

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #709 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 08:09 AM

I already have the 820..

if I upgrade to the 9000.. will I get better PQ and sound?

mainly used for movie watching...no streaming.
post #710 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
I already have the 820..

I don’t know but I upgraded to the 9000 and never regretted it. I think you might notice more a difference in sound if you have the right system. I do not It’s an awesome player. Though.
rc-zombies likes this.

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #711 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 08:32 AM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I already have the 820..

For movie watching, your PQ will only improve if you use a 4K HDR-capable projector. No difference, otherwise. But the 9000 is built like a tank, looks great too.
rc-zombies likes this.
post #712 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I don’t know but I upgraded to the 9000 and never regretted it. I think you might notice more a difference in sound if you have the right system. I do not It’s an awesome player. Though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
For movie watching, your PQ will only improve if you use a 4K HDR-capable projector. No difference, otherwise. But the 9000 is built like a tank, looks great too.
Thanks guys!...

the 9000 will definitely look better atop my Marantz 8012.. and currently running 7.2.4
post #713 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys!...

the 9000 will definitely look better atop my Marantz 8012.. and currently running 7.2.4
Absolutely

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #714 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Thanks guys!...

Are you planning on placing the 9000 on top of your 8012? As sort of a coincidence I just moved my 9000 of of the top of my Yamaha CX-A5200. The 9000 does get a bit warm, and although my 5200 runs quite cool, I just decided not to risk it. Too much invested in these things.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #715 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Are you planning on placing the 9000 on top of your 8012? As sort of a coincidence I just moved my 9000 of of the top of my Yamaha CX-A5200. The 9000 does get a bit warm, and although my 5200 runs quite cool, I just decided not to risk it. Too much invested in these things.
it'll sit on it's own shelf.. in a BDI cabinet..
the shelf itself is slotted for ventilation.
post #716 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
it'll sit on it's own shelf.. in a BDI cabinet..
the shelf itself is slotted for ventilation.
Ah, cool (literally). I just thought it amusing that you mentioned placing a 9000 on top of your Marantz after I had gone to the trouble to move mine off of my Yamaha.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #717 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Even better to place the 9000 on the shelf below the receiver. Heat rises......

Clark
post #718 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even better to place the 9000 on the shelf below the receiver. Heat rises......
What I noticed is that my 9000 gets warmer all by itself than my 5200 does.

post #719 of 841 Old 08-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Unfortunately no streamers can play MKVs with Dolby Vision. While new efforts are allowing MP4 with DV it kills Dolby Atmos which is worse IMO. Only Oppo or the m9702 Oppo clone can do it. I was close to buying the m9702 but stumbled on someone here selling their used 203, and while more expensive than the m9702 it at least has a disc drive. This should suit my needs so hopefully it lasts.

TV: Sony 85" x900F
Receiver: Denon AVR-X8500H
Blu-Ray: OPPO UDP-203
Media Players: Dune HD Duo 4K and Zidoo Z9S
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 7.2.4
post #720 of 841 Old 08-21-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I already have the 820..

I'm not sure what TV or projector you have, but are you aware that the new JVC projectors have two color profiles specifically designed to match up with the HDR Optimizer in the 9000? Kris Deering covered it in his review of the JVC NX9: https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...well-panasonic So this way you get "double tone mapping" in both the player and the projector. One setting is at 350 nits and the other at 500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page