Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk) - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 389Likes

post #1111 of 1138 Old 01-09-2020, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillihp23 View Post
I have my UB9000 hooked to my AVR in the following manner Hdmi video/audio out to Blu-ray hdmi in.
Everything works fine watching dvd, Blu-ray, 4k. The other day i decided to put a cd in to listen too.
The player display said high fidelity or something similar and began showing the cd play. I received no audio from my speakers?
Is there a setting in my AVR that needs to be changed for cd play back on Blu-ray hdmi in? Is there a setting on the UB9000 that needs to be changed to allow cd play back on hdmi audio/video out?
Try setting "HDMI (Video) Output Mode" to Auto per page 30 of the manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1138 Old 01-10-2020, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody having audio dropouts with the lone survivor uhd disc?
post #1113 of 1138 Old 01-10-2020, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk)

I changed a setting somewhere and now the volume overlay from my Denon 6500 no longer appears on the Panasonic when I change the volume.

The Denon settings overlay does appear when activated. It’s only the volume notification. The volume overlay does appear on other devices like my Apple TV.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to fix this?

NEVERMIND: Found it. The Denon needs the Denon “Video Conversion” option enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next." -- William Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth, Part II

Last edited by Rob Greer; 01-10-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1138 Old 01-10-2020, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro24 View Post
Anybody having audio dropouts with the lone survivor uhd disc?
cable or some sort of hdmi issue ? no problem here ... last time i had dropouts was the oppo 203 when it was first released never with a Panasonic neither the 900 or 9000 player ever had drop outs...

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #1115 of 1138 Old 01-10-2020, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 803
I do get a lot of audio dropouts with it randomly after pausing or fast forwarding,. It is a player defect. when it occurs I have to toggle HDMI on the receiver to force handshaking. I've had it on blu ray and UHD. Never had it on any other player.

I've never had audio drop out when just playing though.

Last edited by MOberhardt; 01-10-2020 at 04:28 PM.
post #1116 of 1138 Old 01-10-2020, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked: 16721
Never had an audio dropout with my 9000. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

post #1117 of 1138 Old 01-11-2020, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
I do get a lot of audio dropouts with it randomly after pausing or fast forwarding,. It is a player defect. when it occurs I have to toggle HDMI on the receiver to force handshaking. I've had it on blu ray and UHD. Never had it on any other player.

what is your receiver ? because i am 100% not seeing this. am running marantz. never had to force handshaking or anything. infact not had this on any player as mentioned bar oppo 203 when it was released half baked. zero drop out on the oppo 205 since ive had it

post #1118 of 1138 Old 01-11-2020, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
what is your receiver ? because i am 100% not seeing this. am running marantz. never had to force handshaking or anything. infact not had this on any player as mentioned bar oppo 203 when it was released half baked. zero drop out on the oppo 205 since ive had it
Anthem 1120
post #1119 of 1138 Old 01-11-2020, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anthem 1120
I'd be reporting this to anthem as its not something should be experiencing in forcing handshakes and what not what is the cable you are using ? is there any cable in the mix that is possibly suspect ? what is projector again ? fully compliant ? or is any other device inn the mix eg a hd fury or something as that can in itself cause quite a few handshake hiccups.... and hence possibly be the cause rather than player or avr or cable or anything else.

post #1120 of 1138 Old 01-11-2020, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
I'd be reporting this to anthem as its not something should be experiencing in forcing handshakes and what not what is the cable you are using ? is there any cable in the mix that is possibly suspect ? what is projector again ? fully compliant ? or is any other device inn the mix eg a hd fury or something as that can in itself cause quite a few handshake hiccups.... and hence possibly be the cause rather than player or avr or cable or anything else.
Monoprice prem. Yeah, anthem support is garbage and I regret buying this. I'm sick of their lack of support. I'm still waiting for the DTS-X HRA fix that other manufacturers issued two years ago (for Fast 6 and 7). They promised a firmware update in September with IMAX enhanced codecs, but we are still waiting. They don't bother answering support queries anymore.
alebonau likes this.
post #1121 of 1138 Old 01-11-2020, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Monoprice prem. Yeah, anthem support is garbage and I regret buying this. I'm sick of their lack of support. I'm still waiting for the DTS-X HRA fix that other manufacturers issued two years ago (for Fast 6 and 7). They promised a firmware update in September with IMAX enhanced codecs, but we are still waiting. They don't bother answering support queries anymore.
hmm so wont be a cable issue. sorry re anthem. hopefully something indeed does come through. they are a big company so hopefully get to realisations nand appreciate need for customer support.

post #1122 of 1138 Old 01-12-2020, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I was wondering if someone has a good contact at Panasonic for feature requests?

I don't understand why I have to adjust the subtitle brightness every time I play a disc.. It would be nice if Panasonic would change this to a fixed setting, or if the player just reminds like the last setting. The Oppo does this. Same for the subtitle position.
DLCPhoto, alebonau and MOberhardt like this.
post #1123 of 1138 Old 01-12-2020, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the cable as the issue, even though that cable is normally reliable. This sounds like problems (though they were much worse) some people had with the first Samsung player, which were partly attributable to cables. May be something else, of course, but you might try a different cable to see if you get different results.
post #1124 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
I was using my Emotiva ERC3 with balanced connections, I'm now using the XLR's on the 9000 and it sounds really close indeed!
Do you need to disable the HDMI sound output when you are using XLR's on UB9000 every time ?
As I never get the audio signal from XLR/RCA with HDMI Sound output ON.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
Panasonic DP-UB9000EBK, Shield TV Pro 2019, Zidoo Z9S, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, LG HU70LA, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1

Last edited by chhanthony; 01-15-2020 at 12:52 AM.
post #1125 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
I just tried Netflix on the Panasonic and I am getting Atmos on “6 Underground” which is only title I tried.

What movie / show are you trying to play and are you seeing Atmos listed in the details?

Do you get Atmos when playing an Atmos disc on the Panasonic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't get any atmos from UB9000's Netflix app with my Anthem AVM60
but I get atmos from Shield TV Pro 2019's Netflix app with the same system and same title.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
Panasonic DP-UB9000EBK, Shield TV Pro 2019, Zidoo Z9S, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, LG HU70LA, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
post #1126 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
Do you need to disable the HDMI sound output when you are using XLR's on UB9000 every time ?
Yes, you do, and then remember to go back into the settings and re-enable the HDMI setting to regain audio from the HDMI output.

This, IMO, is a major design flaw and I have no idea why you should have to do this. Oppo did not require you to jump through hoops to utilize the internal premium DAC and analog output stages of the 205. On the 9000, you also have to disable the HDMI output if you want to use it as a transport in conjunction with an external DAC.

If there is some good reason to require this, the least they could have done was to make this selection a "one step" toggle function directly on the remote. Having to turn on the display and navigate several layers of the settings menu (twice) is in no way “convenient” or “user friendly” just to enjoy listening to a CD using the upscale analog section that they’ve included at a premium price. It’s rather counterintuitive for a “universal” disc player. God forbid that you forget to re-enable the HDMI audio and the wife decides to watch a movie while you’re at work...

This is the only thing that I absolutely hate about my 9000. Well, that and the annoyingly large “Reading” pop up banners that can’t be defeated...
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Last edited by DOC1963; 01-15-2020 at 08:19 AM.
post #1127 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
No, I select CD on my processor remote and it access's the XLR's on the back of the panny but....I have to push play on the panny remote and it defaults to the HDMI, so I have to select CD again on my processor remote for 2ch on the panny.

As good as the panny sounds in 2ch, I'm back to using my dedicated CD player.
chhanthony likes this.

Set up:
Marantz AV8802A w/Pangea Premium XLR's-Source: Panasonic 9000-CD Player: Emotiva ERC 3 w/Pangea Premium XLR's
Display: LG OLED 65 8B-Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2
Mains: PolkAudio LSiM707, C 706, SS 702, RS RTiA9
post #1128 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
Yes, you do, and then remember to go back into the settings and re-enable the HDMI setting to regain audio from the HDMI output.

This, IMO, is a major design flaw and I have no idea why you should have to do this. Oppo did not require you to jump through hoops to utilize the internal premium DAC and analog output stages of the 205. On the 9000, you also have to disable the HDMI output if you want to use it as a transport in conjunction with an external DAC.

If there is some good reason to require this, the least they could have done was to make this selection a "one step" toggle function directly on the remote. Having to turn on the display and navigate several layers of the settings menu (twice) is in no way “convenient” or “user friendly” just to enjoy listening to a CD using the upscale analog section that they’ve included at a premium price. It’s rather counterintuitive for a “universal” disc player. God forbid that you forget to re-enable the HDMI audio and the wife decides to watch a movie while you’re at work...

This is the only thing that I absolutely hate about my 9000. Well, that and the annoyingly large “Reading” pop up banners that can’t be defeated...
Okay, so, that's what I thought too, until a week ago, then today I finalized it (I hope.)

I'll try to keep this short.

1. I have HDMI, coax and RCA analog outputs from the panny.

2. The great majority of music I listen to from the panny is from a USB connected SSD drive semi permanently connected.

Until a week ago, I was as mad as anyone about the HDMI audio issue, especially when combined with no way to turn it on without exiting completely.

Then I played a CD, and it worked. I don't remember how or why, it just worked. So I assumed the problem was with USB connected media. Today, seeing the above posts, I decided to experiment to see what's what, because someone said they had the issue with CD.

Fired it up, preset audio on pre-pro (AVM-60) to a non-HDMI input and chose something from the SSD. It didn't play. Changed input to the other non-HDMI (can't remember which was which) and it played.

Spent the next half hour trying every combination I could think of and it played. Spent another 15 minutes trying to replicate the bad behavior and couldn't.

So that's my story, I don't know what to say, it just works now.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #1129 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Oddly I put a CD in my player the other day and it just worked. I don’t know why last time it didn’t. Still haven’t figured it out either.

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #1130 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post
Okay, so, that's what I thought too, until a week ago, then today I finalized it (I hope.)

I'll try to keep this short.

1. I have HDMI, coax and RCA analog outputs from the panny.

2. The great majority of music I listen to from the panny is from a USB connected SSD drive semi permanently connected.

Until a week ago, I was as mad as anyone about the HDMI audio issue, especially when combined with no way to turn it on without exiting completely.

Then I played a CD, and it worked. I don't remember how or why, it just worked. So I assumed the problem was with USB connected media. Today, seeing the above posts, I decided to experiment to see what's what, because someone said they had the issue with CD.

Fired it up, preset audio on pre-pro (AVM-60) to a non-HDMI input and chose something from the SSD. It didn't play. Changed input to the other non-HDMI (can't remember which was which) and it played.

Spent the next half hour trying every combination I could think of and it played. Spent another 15 minutes trying to replicate the bad behavior and couldn't.

So that's my story, I don't know what to say, it just works now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillihp23 View Post
Oddly I put a CD in my player the other day and it just worked. I don’t know why last time it didn’t. Still haven’t figured it out either.
Thanks for the tips... that encourages me to give it another try. Unfortunately, I have to go back and rewire due to reverting back to my reference CD player.

Having a fully balanced analog output stage along with top shelf, fully balanced DACs is one of only two reasons I opted for the 9000 over the 820 (the vastly superior build quality and transport isolation being the other). I didn’t expect all of the extra step involved simply to use the premium perks. I just want to pop in a CD and press play.

Maybe somewhere along the way, a firmware update addressed this issue even though the manual still states otherwise...
post #1131 of 1138 Old 01-15-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC1963 View Post
Thanks for the tips... that encourages me to give it another try. Unfortunately, I have to go back and rewire due to reverting back to my reference CD player.

Having a fully balanced analog output stage along with top shelf, fully balanced DACs is one of only two reasons I opted for the 9000 over the 820 (the vastly superior build quality and transport isolation being the other). I didn’t expect all of the extra step involved simply to use the premium perks. I just want to pop in a CD and press play.

Maybe somewhere along the way, a firmware update addressed this issue even though the manual still states otherwise...
Sorry to confuse you. I was referring to having the player connected by hdmi to receiver. Previously it would not output sound from cd. I have not attempted to setup with analog due to comments in regard to having too change settings.

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #1132 of 1138 Old 01-17-2020, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
What happens if you load another region's firmware into the machine, or isn't it even possible to do it?
MOberhardt likes this.
post #1133 of 1138 Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjdflsdfsdf View Post
What happens if you load another region's firmware into the machine, or isn't it even possible to do it?
The firmwares are coded to only load in the correct region players. The only way to change that would be to use a firmware that had been altered.

Clark
post #1134 of 1138 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone think that Panasonic will ever update the GUI on this unit? For a piece of equipment at its pricepoint the GUI is laughable and it would be nice if they revamped it as well as added more apps like Disney and such...
post #1135 of 1138 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Probably not.

post #1136 of 1138 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 679
My guess is not much money is being allocated for R&D for disc playback by the manufacturers. Apps are better on dedicated streamers and TVs so not much point in having them on a bluray player. This may well be the last statement player produced. If Oppo couldn't last the hope for more quality players by mainstream manufacturers is not likely. If you own a 9000 or an Oppo hold on to it and hope it lasts.

Clark
post #1137 of 1138 Old Today, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Ok dumb question, although I'm 99% sure of the answer....I've read the manual but it's a little ambiguous.

The setting for audio output of "sound quality priority", and "high clarity sound" are ONLY applicable when playing music like a CD, right? Only reason I'm asking is because I want to make sure it doesn't affect video quality/resolution of a movie through blu-ray or UHD disc.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #1138 of 1138 Old Today, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Ok dumb question, although I'm 99% sure of the answer....I've read the manual but it's a little ambiguous.

The setting for audio output of "sound quality priority", and "high clarity sound" are ONLY applicable when playing music like a CD, right? Only reason I'm asking is because I want to make sure it doesn't affect video quality/resolution of a movie through blu-ray or UHD disc.
I'm pretty sure thathigh clarity sound turns off display in video playback too, which is fantastic for home Cinema black levels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page