Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 227Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Agenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern Germany
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastaba View Post
I noticed some small 40mm fan exhaust in the rear, is it noisy?

Never heard it! Only noise is disc reading noise when you put in/start a blu-ray. After that the player is completely silent.
MOberhardt likes this.

Setup: NAD T758v3 + NAD M25: 7x Jamo D500 + 2x Jamo SUB660 + 4x Jamo IC206 / Epson LS-10000 / Panasonic UB9004 / 2x Quake Q10b: Earthquake XJ-700R / Behringer DCX2496
Agenor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,191
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5992
Many of the Panasonics over the years have had a fan, never heard em.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #93 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,623
Mentioned: 265 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3700 Post(s)
Liked: 4474
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Many of the Panasonics over the years have had a fan, never heard em.
Picture quality wise, do you find the 9000 to be a huge improvement over the 820? Mostly thinking on the extra projector 350 nits option and the gamma adjustment slider.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Display-less |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,191
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5992
I think it would be for a FP owner, having a Sony Oled the 820 would be fine. I just wanted it lol.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #95 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastaba View Post
I noticed some small 40mm fan exhaust in the rear, is it noisy?


~
not audible at all, wouldnt know its there....

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #96 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Carbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Boston, MA , USA
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I just got the 9000 and I have two questions.

1. Which setting for a JVC 540 projector? the Basic or High luminance?

2. What should we use for the High Clarity Sound setting? Is this loudness or something else?

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D

Last edited by Carbo; 01-20-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Carbo is offline  
post #97 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 769
I get a fantastic picture on my JVC projector with the SDR2020 and projector luminance setting on the ub820.

I'm trying to understand what the practical difference of this additional projector luminance setting is.

Anyone?
Bytehoven likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #98 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
I get a fantastic picture on my JVC projector with the SDR2020 and projector luminance setting on the ub820.

I'm trying to understand what the practical difference of this additional projector luminance setting is.

Anyone?
its to work in wiht the new JVC series it prepares the image for tone mapping in the JVC so you are not running for SDR 2020. my understanding anyways. we will no doubt know more from people with actual experience trying both player and projector combination.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #99 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
KRGM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm still not getting audio through the HDMI audio. Anyone else splitting their audio and video? I am using the player with Digital Coax for the sound. Watched a couple of movies and it sounded pretty good. The Audio menu says that I should only get Stereo sound from the Digital Coax output but the info screen was telling me 5:1 DTS HD MA. It sounded like 5:1 but maybe my McIntosh processor is converting to 5:1. I thought the info screen was reporting output from the player but if that is so the Audio menu is wrong.
KRGM1 is offline  
post #100 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,694
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 6530
Just to basically state what I said before on other threads. I can't think of a single reason to use the HDR output mode with the Projector profiles selected. This is relying on not only the tone mapping of the player, but the projector as well. And the player is probably assuming the projector is following PQ, which it won't be if your talking about 350 or 500 nits.

I would HIGHLY recommend people using projectors use the SDR2020 output. This not only does the same tone mapping, it allows you to vary the display luminance (the dynamic range slider) to better approximate the display's true luminance (it doesn't do this in HDR output mode, it only varies the steepness of the tone map). This makes a huge difference for titles that are really bright vs really dark (say The Meg vs BR2049). ON TOP OF THAT, it allows you to force a 1000 nit based tone map if the metadata is wrong, which is VERY OFTEN. This is achieved by just turning the HDR Optimizer to OFF.

I will do testing with the 9000 and the new JVC auto tone mapping when I get the JVC NX9 in. But anyone using any other projector should use SDR2020. I cannot think of a single usage case that outputting HDR would result in a better result.
Dominic Chan likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #101 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,694
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
the difference is the two projector options added, it has already been confirmed that the 820 does not have the projector options listed
The 820 has a projection option too. It just doesn't have the low output projector option (350 nits). It has the other (500 nits).

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #102 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
The 820 has a projection option too. It just doesn't have the low output projector option (350 nits). It has the other (500 nits).
thanks for posting in this thread kris, look forward to your contributions on this player

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #103 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Just to basically state what I said before on other threads. I can't think of a single reason to use the HDR output mode with the Projector profiles selected. This is relying on not only the tone mapping of the player, but the projector as well. And the player is probably assuming the projector is following PQ, which it won't be if your talking about 350 or 500 nits.

I would HIGHLY recommend people using projectors use the SDR2020 output. This not only does the same tone mapping, it allows you to vary the display luminance (the dynamic range slider) to better approximate the display's true luminance (it doesn't do this in HDR output mode, it only varies the steepness of the tone map). This makes a huge difference for titles that are really bright vs really dark (say The Meg vs BR2049). ON TOP OF THAT, it allows you to force a 1000 nit based tone map if the metadata is wrong, which is VERY OFTEN. This is achieved by just turning the HDR Optimizer to OFF.

I will do testing with the 9000 and the new JVC auto tone mapping when I get the JVC NX9 in. But anyone using any other projector should use SDR2020. I cannot think of a single usage case that outputting HDR would result in a better result.
Those settings sound like the equivalent of just a ub900 with a HDFury device.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #104 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 1,959
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
The 820 has a projection option too. It just doesn't have the low output projector option (350 nits). It has the other (500 nits).
Kris, both those options are for the HDR mode correct? If using the SDR2020 mode that setting makes no difference if I have this figured right.
Do you see any point in a new JVC 4k projector if one has a RS600 and uses the SDR2020 mode for 4k UHD discs?
Clark Burk is online now  
post #105 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,694
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Those settings sound like the equivalent of just a ub900 with a HDFury device.
The setup for the SDR2020 mode in the UB900 is the same, but it doesn't have the advanced tone mapping that the Optimizer offers. The UB820 changes its tone mapping based on the metadata with the Optimizer engaged. The UB900 does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Kris, both those options are for the HDR mode correct? If using the SDR2020 mode that setting makes no difference if I have this figured right.
Do you see any point in a new JVC 4k projector if one has a RS600 and uses the SDR2020 mode for 4k UHD discs?
Correct. With SDR2020 the display options in the setup menu have no effect. Those strictly relate to using an HDR output and even then ONLY if you are using the Optimizer. Optimizer OFF bypasses the display selection.

I can't say on the rest. For one, you're equating the entire purchase on a single playback mode. I haven't tested JVC's tone mapping, it could be better than the Panasonic. Or the combination of the two may surprise me and be better. Then there is the fact that the new models are native 4K and any other new features. That all comes down to your own priorities.
AidenL likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #106 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Carbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Boston, MA , USA
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Kris,

Do you know which Projector setting is for the JVC? Basic or High?

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
Carbo is offline  
post #107 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Those settings sound like the equivalent of just a ub900 with a HDFury device.
The setup for the SDR2020 mode in the UB900 is the same, but it doesn't have the advanced tone mapping that the Optimizer offers. The UB820 changes its tone mapping based on the metadata with the Optimizer engaged. The UB900 does not.

s.
I thought you said to turn the Optimizer off and just use the dynamic slider with SDR2020. Does turning the Optimizer off still allow tone mapping?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #108 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,694
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Kris,

Do you know which Projector setting is for the JVC? Basic or High?
Either. They are just different multipliers, so I could see using the High for more dynamic titles and basic for dimmer titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
I thought you said to turn the Optimizer off and just use the dynamic slider with SDR2020. Does turning the Optimizer off still allow tone mapping?
No, I said that turning the Optimizer OFF with SDR2020 makes a fixed 1000 nit tone map. This is a nice fallback for titles that don't have correct metadata (Sicario is a perfect example). With the Optimizer ON in SDR2020 mode, the tone map is adjusted based on the metadata. I go over all this in my review that is online at Sound and Vision.
Art Sonneborn and AidenL like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #109 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1249 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Kris,

Do you know which Projector setting is for the JVC? Basic or High?
Either. They are just different multipliers, so I could see using the High for more dynamic titles and basic for dimmer titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
I thought you said to turn the Optimizer off and just use the dynamic slider with SDR2020. Does turning the Optimizer off still allow tone mapping?
No, I said that turning the Optimizer OFF with SDR2020 makes a fixed 1000 nit tone map. This is a nice fallback for titles that don't have correct metadata (Sicario is a perfect example). With the Optimizer ON in SDR2020 mode, the tone map is adjusted based on the metadata. I go over all this in my review that is online at Sound and Vision.
I see, thanks. I'm not smart enough to know if the metadata is correct though. 😂

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #110 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,694
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
I see, thanks. I'm not smart enough to know if the metadata is correct though. 😂


I love the honesty! I talk about that in the review as well. Honestly, more than 90% of the time you'll be just fine with the Optimizer set to on. If the image doesn't quite look right, switch it off and see if that improves it. That should work for most people.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #111 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Carbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Boston, MA , USA
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post


I love the honesty! I talk about that in the review as well. Honestly, more than 90% of the time you'll be just fine with the Optimizer set to on. If the image doesn't quite look right, switch it off and see if that improves it. That should work for most people.
Kris,

Thanks for all the help.

I agree with you SDR2020 looks great. I had my JVC 540 calibrated by ChadB. I have been going back and forth between his HDR and SDR settings and I find the SDR2020 better.
Jive Turkey and Th601 like this.

1) JVC RS540, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
Carbo is offline  
post #112 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,694
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Kris,

Thanks for all the help.

I agree with you SDR2020 looks great. I had my JVC 540 calibrated by ChadB. I have been going back and forth between his HDR and SDR settings and I find the SDR2020 better.
I'm sure Chad did a great job, but the truth is a custom curve is designed for a one size fits all tone map. And that doesn't work well across all titles. The SDR2020 option with the Optimizer ON is adjusting on a per title basis, so long as there is metadata to help it. So the image is a bit more optimized. This may not make a difference with every title, but it still stands a better chance with a lot of the titles out there.
Carbo, Jive Turkey, OzHDHT and 1 others like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #113 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
tbessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all...

I had read about some folks getting audio sync issues with the UB9000.

I just put in a Blu-Ray of the 30th Anniversary Edition of Highlander. I noticed some distinct audio sync issues, at least with this disc. Audio was about 1/2 second ahead of the video (that is, I hear before I see).

I tested this by putting the disc in my home theater PC and playing it, and saw no audio sync issues there.

I'm running HDMI Out to my AVR, and that's it; no extra processing or stages. The HTPC also runs through the same AVR.

Anyone else seeing this? This is a bit disturbing for a new unit.

- Tim
tbessie is offline  
post #114 of 708 Old 01-20-2019, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mark Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beautiful California
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Well, I've got one significant gripe with the UB9000.... If I put a disc in, load it up to the start of the movie, and then put the player in pause, after only about 15-20 minutes the player shuts itself off. It won't hold in pause mode. I can't find a setting that allows me to change that behavior. That's VERY disappointing.

My UB900 will hold most discs in pause (right at the start of the movie) for hours.

When we entertain in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater, I queue up the movie on Blu-ray 30 minutes to an hour before our guests arrive. Then I switch over to my HTPC and play some pre-movie slideshows and entrance music. After we are seated for the film I'll switch back to Blu-ray and play the film. For both movies we showed today, the UB9000 went completely into shutdown mode. When I switched to the player it had to load the disc all over again, forcing our guests to see all the menus stuff, film rating, FBI warning, whatever.

If this can't be fixed with a setting change, I'll have to consider keeping the UB900 in the gear stack specifically for the Garage Theater. Boo!

Mark
Mark Booth is offline  
post #115 of 708 Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for replies about the fan!


And about the network streaming? How does it handle playing video files from the network? Do you think it's a good idea to use it as a networked media player?
Mastaba is offline  
post #116 of 708 Old 01-21-2019, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Lesmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Well, I've got one significant gripe with the UB9000.... If I put a disc in, load it up to the start of the movie, and then put the player in pause, after only about 15-20 minutes the player shuts itself off. It won't hold in pause mode. I can't find a setting that allows me to change that behavior. That's VERY disappointing.

My UB900 will hold most discs in pause (right at the start of the movie) for hours.

When we entertain in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater, I queue up the movie on Blu-ray 30 minutes to an hour before our guests arrive. Then I switch over to my HTPC and play some pre-movie slideshows and entrance music. After we are seated for the film I'll switch back to Blu-ray and play the film. For both movies we showed today, the UB9000 went completely into shutdown mode. When I switched to the player it had to load the disc all over again, forcing our guests to see all the menus stuff, film rating, FBI warning, whatever.

If this can't be fixed with a setting change, I'll have to consider keeping the UB900 in the gear stack specifically for the Garage Theater. Boo!

Mark
AFAIK there is no setting to stop the 9000 from going into standby

I can only suggest trying to network the HTPC that shows the previews and music
or perhaps copy them to a USB so that the 9000 plays them in a loop

problem with that is the panasonic is not a very good media player so whether a connected USB works is very much a hit or miss
Lesmor is offline  
post #117 of 708 Old 01-21-2019, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
Hey all...

I had read about some folks getting audio sync issues with the UB9000.

I just put in a Blu-Ray of the 30th Anniversary Edition of Highlander. I noticed some distinct audio sync issues, at least with this disc. Audio was about 1/2 second ahead of the video (that is, I hear before I see).

I tested this by putting the disc in my home theater PC and playing it, and saw no audio sync issues there.

I'm running HDMI Out to my AVR, and that's it; no extra processing or stages. The HTPC also runs through the same AVR.

Anyone else seeing this? This is a bit disturbing for a new unit.

- Tim
no zero audio synch issues. and I have watched many movies now. the only time I would expect audio synch issues if you were using the dual cdmi out. ie splitting audio and video processing. which will expose the audio and video to different processing times and hence create the out of synch issue.
tbessie likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #118 of 708 Old 01-21-2019, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
Well, I've got one significant gripe with the UB9000.... If I put a disc in, load it up to the start of the movie, and then put the player in pause, after only about 15-20 minutes the player shuts itself off. It won't hold in pause mode. I can't find a setting that allows me to change that behavior. That's VERY disappointing.

My UB900 will hold most discs in pause (right at the start of the movie) for hours.

When we entertain in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater, I queue up the movie on Blu-ray 30 minutes to an hour before our guests arrive. Then I switch over to my HTPC and play some pre-movie slideshows and entrance music. After we are seated for the film I'll switch back to Blu-ray and play the film. For both movies we showed today, the UB9000 went completely into shutdown mode. When I switched to the player it had to load the disc all over again, forcing our guests to see all the menus stuff, film rating, FBI warning, whatever.

If this can't be fixed with a setting change, I'll have to consider keeping the UB900 in the gear stack specifically for the Garage Theater. Boo!

Mark
not in the power sae functionality. not something i have explored. it happened to me once.... as I got distracted. however in its defence I just hit play and it seemed to take off where left off ? which I found interesting !

I agree though it should be defeatable.... unless its done to protect the drive unit. which I understand would be engaged in pause the entire time perhaps not good for it ?

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #119 of 708 Old 01-21-2019, 05:05 AM
Member
 
Greg TB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
no zero audio synch issues. and I have watched many movies now. the only time I would expect audio synch issues if you were using the dual cdmi out. ie splitting audio and video processing. which will expose the audio and video to different processing times and hence create the out of synch issue.
I use the separate HDMI outputs on both my Oppo 205 and 203 and have NEVER had any synch issues. HDMI is designed to handshake between devices and change timing between audio and video based upon signal timing. I have no doubt the 9000 would perform the same. I would look to settings first as the possible cause.

OLED65C7P - Denon AVR S920W - Oppo 205 - Apple TV 4K - Bowers & Wilkins 804, HTM2, 805 - SVS PB2000
Greg TB is offline  
post #120 of 708 Old 01-21-2019, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg TB View Post
I use the separate HDMI outputs on both my Oppo 205 and 203 and have NEVER had any synch issues. HDMI is designed to handshake between devices and change timing between audio and video based upon signal timing. I have no doubt the 9000 would perform the same. I would look to settings first as the possible cause.
when you split hdmi audio and video you are 100% exposing to possibility of synch issues. think about it both audio and video will undergo different processing and it is how they get out of synch. instead if you use the one hdmi that handles both audio and video this is how they remain in synch. I have had player previously eg in early days of hdmi, 3D era then when we had AVR not capable to pass uhd. all have been suseptible to synch issues. no 1 remedy is to move to one hdmi to handle the lot. its actually the audio then that keeps the video in synch handshakes are only for HDCP to ensure copy protection and valid protocols they don't occur across multiple hdmi.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off