AVS Forum banner

Official Pana UB9000 Owner's thread (No Price Talk)

681K views 5K replies 542 participants last post by  Joe Bobb 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been an owner of this fine player for a few weeks and been looking for other owners to share insights on, noting all we seem to have is an anticipation thread, for some reason we dont have an official owners thread as yet ? (mods if there is one please feel free to merge with that) so in that vein creating this thread here. I realise the responsibility as an OP of an owners thread, will endeavour to keep updated with any info people feel important, just please pm me to advise and happy to update this thread 1st opening post with anything you feel as relevant to owners.

firstly some box and opening shots,

what comes in the box,

remote looks like the same from the UB900 ?

slick looking unit.... very heavy ! and very well made !

bristling with connectivity !

In the system, note it has side shifted a oppo 205 which I still have and will keep, just relocated to the 2ch side of the system, however leaving a hdmi link in place so I can still do side by side comparisons between both players.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
some early comments, and comparatively with the oppo 205...

not that have had extensive use as yet. just setting up, doing the harmony and checking on a few movies.

comes upto date out of box
It seems to be upto date firmware out of box... which is a rarity these days ... most things you plug in and first thing wants to do is an update.

user interface
the user interface, after using an oppo for some while now, seems quite simplistic by comparison. I am a prior pana 900 owner. but really the screens on the pana look like they were done on DOS vs windows on the oppo. the pana also seems a tad slower to respond ? am I imagining that ?

settings
there was nothing I needed to do with the out of box pana settings. and I went through all. all seems fine :) made sure it was bit streaming, no dynamic compression engaged.

I noticed as was with the pana 900 that 4k 50/60 is turned off... I didnt turn it on by default ... though might re think that.

Apps
good to see the app page fully populated with netflix and prime and likes.... when I had the 900 it was bare bones... just like the oppo. didnt try the streaming apps and unlikely i will as happy with the atv 4k for that.

Loading loading
when pop the disc tray open it is s..l..o..w to open and a bit growny... the oppo is a lot more snappy... however the disc draw omn the pana feels more solidly made and has a rubbery feel on the disc contact surface. the oppo is just thin plain plastic by comparison.

the buttons on the pana player like on the oppo are not illuminated...pity...however buttons on the pana are logically placed once figure out what each one is ... :D the display is simple nothing much bar a play time display

Remote
I miss the touch sensitive oppo remote straight away as that shakes and lights up if you pick up to use. the remote of the pana does feel and look a lot better though. there are parts of the pana remote that are cryptic....

I am still trying to figure out the difference between pop up menu and menu. there is also a top menu and then there's home...

harmony fortunately had the ub9000 in its data base. but I had to teach it the subtitle button, not sure why its not there ?

Selected Top menu, audio, Subtitle, Pop up menu, eject, home, setting, playback info, along with status, and operation menu. along with your standard playing and navigation buttons. sufficient I think to put pana remote away never to be seen again :D

Testing material
In use I tested across dvd, blu-ray and uhd blu-ray. my standard discs of morcheeba brixton concert on dvd, mr and mrs smith blu-ray and for uhd blu-ray I used the shallows and also blade runner 2049

morcheeba dvd ... all worked just fine. the audio button worked to select dolby digital track which is not default. I think i'll need to compare DVD PQ with the oppo as I have an inclination the oppo does a better job on dvd :) still audio picture all was just fine. very happy to hear this again, was a treat with upsampling to dolby surround :)
I am confused between the pop up menu, top menu though, sort of a bit hit miss at bringing up disc menu, ended up using the operation menu to go to disc menu. operation menu seems quite elaborate.

mr and mrs smith bluray - looks gorgeous, very natural, the reminiscing scene isnt too over the top ! which is great... means for blu-ray its colour balance etc is not too far from the oppo. pop up menu seems to bring up disc menu which is good. status button shows basic disc info, what upto in chapter and time elapsed etc. playback info shows more elaborate info bit rates and such. setting seems to bring up the settings menu. audio too on this disc is striking and through the pana it didnt disappoint. I did notice a "high clarity" sound engaged though... something i will have to explore.. what it means and implications.

as a note at one point i paused as got a phone call, when came back player had put itself off to sleep and there was a blank screen ie no signal. not sure how to change that will explore. but if I hit play on the player it seems to awake and take off as were it left off.

the shallows uhd blu-ray - the initial screens are by their nature a bit pumped (instagram style) but looks gorgeous... ie not over the top again indicating the colour balance is pretty good/similar vs oppo. but I tell you I think I need to do some direct side by sides vs the oppo in PQ here as it sure looks like packs a wallop. rich detailed. especially skin textures and such. also when she is on the beach the flouro colours of her costume and fins on the surf board really POP ! sound is also very impactful. its bee na while since seen this movie and will definitely have to compare with the oppo as looks terrific with the pana :)

next w up loaded up blade runner 2049 uhd blu-ray. great how kick off with the audio and looks stunning in later scenes and very natural skin tones etc in other scenes. very pleased pq wise and same with audio. ended up watching about 1/3rd in before was time for bed. look forward to watching the rest later :D I've seen the movie before but got taken in !

overall
few things ... I am not so sure I am a fan of the pop ups when hit play and such it puts up. not sure if there is a way to get rid of that or make more subtle. its a very quiet player. I feel a little slower in response to the oppo. but things will compare side by side when get the oppo up going again.

overall a great player in the evening have had with it :) look forward to more elaborate use and more experience in exploring !

#3 · (Edited)
Reserved for important information updates or anything relevant for owners thats worth calling out
- please message me directly if you would like something - anything at all added to this post.

Basic Operating instructions
https://www.panasonic.com/content/d...0GN/DP-UB9000-BASIC-User-Manual-Australia.pdf

User manual
https://www.panasonic.com/content/d...-UB9000GN/DP-UB9000-User-Manual-Australia.pdf

note these are from australia but if there are links to other countries needed happy to post - just pass me the link via a message,

Tone mapping...
https://translate.google.com/transl...anasonic.jp/bdplayer/products/ub9000/hdr.html

"Developed exclusively for projector in cooperation with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd.
The UB 9000 can select "Projector-specific setting (high brightness projector, basic brightness projector)" as the HDR display type for automatic HDR tone map.
By choosing this setting, the UB 9000 optimizes the video according to the projector, so the reproducibility of the color and gradation of the high-brightness part of the HDR video, which was difficult to express with the projector, will be improved * 1 .
This setting was realized by cooperating with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd. to carry out efforts to optimize HDR video. Combined with the company's projectors "DLA - V9R", "DLA - V7" and "DLA - V5", you can enjoy more rich colors and gradations of HDR image work on a large screen."

#723 ·
Tone mapping...
https://translate.google.com/transl...anasonic.jp/bdplayer/products/ub9000/hdr.html

"Developed exclusively for projector in cooperation with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd.

The UB 9000 can select "Projector-specific setting (high brightness projector, basic brightness projector)" as the HDR display type for automatic HDR tone map.

By choosing this setting, the UB 9000 optimizes the video according to the projector, so the reproducibility of the color and gradation of the high-brightness part of the HDR video, which was difficult to express with the projector, will be improved * 1 .
This setting was realized by cooperating with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd. to carry out efforts to optimize HDR video. Combined with the company's projectors "DLA - V9R", "DLA - V7" and "DLA - V5", you can enjoy more rich colors and gradations of HDR image work on a large screen."
Where should the above in Blue setting be for the JVC RS4500 ???

Thanks for the assistance,
Terry

#4 ·
Remote is slightly different that the UB900 remote. Lower buttons are where the difference is. What is the model number? (Stamped on the lower rear just below the battery door)

#5 ·
am sure some difference Steven, with the ub9000 having tone mapping features and such can see the ub9000 remote below, its an IR6

do you have a ub900 remote handy to compare, or is it similar / same to the ub820s remote I wonder ?

I long sold my 900, but might have a picture of its remote so will go searching :)

#6 · (Edited)
haven't got photo of 900 remote anymore, but looking at 900 owner manual and comparing with the 9000s remote, best can see is a few change arounds of buttons and one inclusion :)

Miracast is replaced by Mirroring - makes sense
DLNA replaced by Setting
Sound effect shifted aside for HDR setting which is a new button
High clarity moved aside for Sound effect
3D setting replaced by High clarity

doubt DLNA is a major loss, will see if 3D setting is now accessible via menu or something :)

edit- had a peep 3D settings are now accessible via main menu hitting setup -> Player settings, and then there is a tab for 3D, looks all no different to ub900 in choices :)

#7 ·
IR6 is not the model number. That's printed on the front of both the UB900 and UB820 remotes as well. The model number is going to be stamped on the back just below the battery cover.

#12 ·
There are a couple of things hoping can explore with other fellow owners, apart from the top menu vs pop up menu business discussing above,

would love to know if can change the front display ? can it display other things eg elapsed time ? I know can toggle onscreen in other ways. but rather just have on the discreet player display rather than using an onscreen display all the time.

also would love to understand more the High clarity sound aspect ... I note it even operates while playing UHDs ? not sure if anyone else has explored what it does and with likes of blu-ray / uhd and like :) whither way of turning it off at all, to see if indeed provides any benefit or not :)

any other owners out there with some thoughts / insights on above ?

#14 ·
hi do you mean as in hi-res music downloads ? sorry I left that venture behind a while back. I stick to disc and hd audio via disc only. all my streaming I do is CD quality :)

my exploration to date has only been with movies on this player,

so far on UHD blu-ray have watched Gladiator, Brave heart, A quiet place, mission impossible fall out :D all have been simply stunning in PQ and SQ. I might have some screen shots can share to give some inclination what this player is capable off :)

#25 ·
Does the 9000 work with my SONY 930E TV-DV Low Latency profile-

Before I purchase the 9000 I would first need to know if it works with my SONY 4K TV (my 65 inch 930E) and it's Dolby Vision implementation-Low Latency profile.
The Pioneer Elite lx500 does work with my SONY TV (it states it in the specifications that it works with Dolby Vision/Low Latency profile on SONY 4K Tv's)
but does the Panasonic 9000 also work ????

Please respond.

#26 ·
Before I purchase the 9000 I would first need to know if it works with my SONY 4K TV (my 65 inch 930E) and it's Dolby Vision implementation-Low Latency profile.
The Pioneer Elite lx500 does work with my SONY TV (it states it in the specifications that it works with Dolby Vision/Low Latency profile on SONY 4K Tv's)
but does the Panasonic 9000 also work ????

Please respond.
Yes. All of the newer players must support them.

#27 ·
Panasonic released a firmware update for the UB820 a couple of months ago and that update added the necessary Sony Low Latency Dolby Vision profile. Sony Extreme TV owners have ben using the UB820 with their TVs for several months now.

Robert has already stated that the UB9000 already has the newer firmware and support for the Sony DV profile.

Mark

#34 ·
According to the manual:

Analogue Volume (dB)
This adjusts the volume of all the analogue
AUDIO OUT terminals.

In my present system, my powered analog speakers are connected directly to my Oppo 103's analog outputs. And the Oppo remote changes the volume of those analog outputs.

Is there a way to use the Volume button on the Panasonic 9000's remote to control the volume of the 9000's analog outputs (like the Oppo does) ?

Thanks. This is my only roadblock to upgrading from my 103 to the 9000. I'm eager for 4K.

Scott

#36 · (Edited)
I have a problem with my UB9000.
On a Dolby Vision disc (Jumanji 4k) every now and then some picture artifacts are shown and right after I get severe lip sync problems with Audio. Bitstream audio is sent via HDMI Audio to my audio processor. If I restart the player or push Stop and then Play the lip sync problem goes away. I never saw this with my Oppo 203.

Post note:
I am using the ARC port on my TV for the HDMI (CEC is disabled). I wonder if this matters (i.e. potential negative impact).

#39 ·
I have a problem with my UB9000.
On a Dolby Vision disc (Jumanji 4k) every now and then some picture artifacts are shown and right after I get severe lip sync problems with Audio. Bitstream audio is sent via HDMI Audio to my audio processor. If I restart the player or push Stop and then Play the lip sync problem goes away. I never saw this with my Oppo 203.
hi extreman, I dont use dolby vision, but I'd suggest be sure to let panasonic know. I would lodge as a fault. that said are you splitting audio / video across hdmi ? that usually results in audio / video not being in synch given the different processing time of audio vs video. not a problem see with audio and video going via the processor. but that doesnt explain the picture artefacts.

Can someone please give me the height of the 9000 including feet. I am adjusting my rack for it. I came across a document that said 81mm, which is 3.2”. Seems a bit taller in the photos. Thanks.
I just checked for you it is indeed 81mm :) it probably just looks bigger than it is with the photos :) its quite a slim line player but quite a chunky thing, like been chiseled from a block of metal !

#38 ·
Please keep the shipping notices to the Anticipation thread and technical discussion and questions for owner's in the owner's thread.

Reactions: OzHDHT
#41 ·
I'm thinking of replacing a Sony X1000ES with the Panny 9000. Aside from the 9000 playing DV formats, I'm primarily interested in how the upscaling from standard definition DVDs compares.

If anyone has comments on this difference, I'd like to hear them!

#50 · (Edited)
About DVD upscaling... I can't compare with the X1000ES, but I can compare with the x800 I own...

The Sony is pretty good, but the UB9000 is nothing short of amazing... I watch a lot of TV Series on DVD...

Reactions: erudolph
#42 ·
USB Input?

Can not view my files when connecting my hard drive.
Is an update needed?

#43 ·
Got my player today. Nice looking and heavy . After hooking everything up I turned it on, display came on and I updated the firmware(maybe I should have left it alone). I now get a picture but no audio. I think I tried all the HDMI audio settings possible.

I use a separate hdmi audio and video cable. Seemed pretty straightforward but when it didn't work I checked the manual(tiny with small print) and I can't see that I've done anything wrong. I took the cables out and plugged them back into my Sony X800 and video and audio work perfect. There is also an advanced menu where you set the display type that I can't access. When I click on advanced the menu comes up but when I scroll down the menu it flips back to the previous page before I can access any settings. I tried resetting to original factory settings but still no change. I also tried rebooting but it didn't help. Guess I will call VE tomorrow.

#44 ·
Do you have a scope screen by chance?

#46 ·
interesting developement, see post below from @PurpleX who is in japan, any one with some experience of this. The 820 doesnt have the options mentioned below,

JVC Japan has just updated the marketing blurb for the new projectors to include a new section on Auto-tone mapping in conjunction with the new Panasonic DP-UB 9000 UHD player. This player is basically a 820 in an oppo like case.

Essentially the Japanese text says that there are two new settings on the Panasonic player, High bright Projector (emphasizes highlights) and basic bright Projector (emphasizes color reproduction) that are designed to specifically work in conjunction with JVC auto tone mapping.

Decoding what this means I would guess than the Panasonic player sends meta data to the JVC when these modes are on which results in correct settings in the JVC so it doesn't screw things up..

Edit:
The title implies this, but it is unclear in the blurb if it means that that the Auto tone mapping in the JVC was developed in conjunction with Panasonic (ie same algorithm when dealing with HDR10) or the settings in the Panasonic was developed to work with the JVC (I'm guessing the later) it is possible I guess that the Panasonic can use HDR10+ and maybe DV metadata to further improve the tone mapping)

#83 ·
This is assuming it the same technically as:

Output Options:
BT.2020 and HDR
Vs
BT.2020 and SDR

Options currently available on the UB820. Seems perhaps maybe they made the description less technical and more UI friendly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro