AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Panasonic UB150/UB450 Anticipation Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/3041422-panasonic-ub150-ub450-anticipation-thread.html)

Rgb 01-08-2019 07:49 AM

Panasonic UB150/UB450 Anticipation Thread

2 Attachment(s)
Panasonic keeps rolling along with new 4K disc players...

https://www.avforums.com/news/ces-20...-players.15698

Quote:

Panasonic has added the UB450 and UB150 models to its already extensive line-up of 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players.
The two new players both support HDR10+ and the UB450 also supports Dolby Vision, which means the latter can handle both dynamic metadata formats. By optimising the brightness of each image, scene by scene, these cutting-edge HDR formats faithfully reproduce HDR images that accurately match the creator’s original intentions.

These new players also feature Dolby Atmos and DTS:X compatibility, enabling you to enjoy an exceptionally immersive 3D soundstage with a compatible audio device such as a TV, soundbar or AV receiver. In addition to conventional surround sound, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X use height channels to precisely place sound effects or the sounds of individual objects at or above ear level.

Panasonic’s new Ultra HD Blu-ray players are equipped with High-Resolution Audio reproduction, so in addition to conventional MP3/AAC/WMA formats, Hi-Res audio music files such as DSD (11.2MHz/5.6 MHz/2.8 MHz) ALAC, FLAC, WAV and AIFF can be reproduced. Simply by connecting to a home audio system users can enjoy music sources with unmatched studio master sound quality.

The UB450 series also features dual HDMI outputs for isolating and separately transmitting TV (4K video) and amplifier audio. By separating audio and video signals unwanted noise is suppressed, which results in the highest-quality sound reproduction.
Quote:

Panasonic DP-UB450
Main Features
High Quality Picture
Ultra HD Blu-ray disc playback (4K/HDR)
Supports HDR10+ dynamic metadata technology
Supports Dolby Vision
4K 60p/50p/4:4:4 output
4K video/4K JPEG playback
Full HD 3D Blu-ray disc playback

High Quality Sound
High-Resolution Audio playback (DSD (11.2MHz/5.6MHz/2.8MHz), ALAC, FLAC, WAV, AIFF)
Twin HDMI Pure AV (isolated twin output)
Digital audio output (coaxial)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...8&d=1546962729

Quote:

Panasonic DP-UB150
Main Features
High Quality Picture
4K video / 4K JPEG playback

High Quality Sound
High-Resolution Audio playback (DSD (11.2MHz/5.6MHz/2.8MHz), ALAC, FLAC, WAV, AIFF)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...6&d=1546962729

bobbino421 01-08-2019 07:58 AM

Wonder if the 450 will have the same PQ as the 820/9000? HCX Chip?

Rgb 01-08-2019 07:58 AM

https://news.panasonic.co.uk/introdu...-dolby-vision/

Quote:

07January2019
Introducing Panasonic’s UB450 and UB150 Blu-ray Players with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision™
Blu-ray Player: UB450Blu-ray Player: UB450Blu ray Player UB450Blu ray Player UB450Blu-ray Player: UB150
Click to show previous imageClick to show next image
Two new Ultra HD Blu-ray players with support for HDR10+ dynamic metadata (UB150/UB450) and Dolby Vision (UB450)

Compatibility with Dolby Atmos® [DTS:X] home cinema sound systems

Support for wide range of media formats gives maximum flexibility

7th January 2019 – Panasonic today announced the launch of its latest Ultra HD Blu-ray players, the DP-UB150 and DP-UB450 series, with both models supporting HDR10+ dynamic metadata technology and the UB450 series also offering Dolby Vision. By optimising the brightness of each image, scene by scene, these cutting-edge HDR formats faithfully reproduce HDR images that faithfully match the creator’s original intentions. Thanks to these image-optimising technologies, both the DP-UB150 and DP-UB450 series deliver a highly cinematic experience with richly textured images.

Both players feature Dolby Atmos compatibility, enabling you to enjoy an exceptionally immersive 3D soundstage with a compatible audio device such as a TV, soundbar or AV receiver. In addition to conventional surround sound, Dolby Atmos uses height channels to precisely place sound effects or the sounds of individual objects at or above ear level. Paired with an audio system that can decode Dolby Atmos, the result is breathtaking movie sound from the UB450 and UB150 series.

The addition of the UB450 and UB150 series to Panasonic’s UHD Blu-ray family follows the recent launch of the highly acclaimed 'EISA High-end UHD Blu-ray Player 2018-2019' reference model, the UB9000 Series.

Stunning picture quality from 4K/HDR content
Support for HDR10+ dynamic metadata technology and Dolby Vision

Both players feature HDR (high dynamic range), which has a wider, brighter dynamic range than conventional SDR (standard dynamic range) to produce more natural, more lifelike images when viewed on an HDR compatible TV.

More than that, both models are also compatible with HDR10+, the latest version of HDR, which uses ‘dynamic’ metadata to re-optimise the brightness continually throughout the movie rather than sticking to a single ‘static’ setting. The result is the ultimate home cinema experience, with even more dynamic, colourful and realistic HDR images that precisely match the creator's intention. In addition, the UB450 supports Dolby Vision, a similar alternative to HDR10+. With the UB450 UHD Blu-ray player and a compatible TV (such as the new Panasonic GZ2000) consumers are assured of seeing fully what the filmmaker intended, regardless of which dynamic HDR format has been used.

4K camcorder video and JPEG playback
4K videos (MP4 format) made with a camera or camcorder can be reproduced using Panasonic's 2019 Ultra HD Players, while JPEG data can be output in 4K resolution so users can enjoy the memories of vacation trips in all their natural beauty.

High Quality Sound: Unique audio technologies achieve rich sound reproduction
High-Resolution Audio playback from a wide range of formats

Panasonic’s new Ultra HD Blu-ray players are equipped with High-Resolution Audio reproduction. In addition to conventional MP3/AAC/WMA formats, additionally high res audio music files such as DSD (11.2MHz/5.6 MHz/2.8 MHz) ALAC, FLAC, WAV and AIFF can be reproduced. Simply by connecting to a home audio system users can enjoy music sources with the unmatched studio master sound quality.

Twin HDMI Pure AV (Audio/Video isolated twin HDMI)

The UB450 series and UB159 model feature dual HDMI outputs for isolating and separately transmitting TV (4K video) and amplifier audio. By separating audio and video signals unwanted noise is suppressed, which results in the highest-quality sound reproduction. The Player can also output the latest surround formats including Dolby Atmos*. When using a sound system compatible with Dolby Atmos soundtracks, it creates the most sonically immersive soundstage available.

* For Blu-ray Discs which include Dolby Atmos.

DP-UB450 Main Features
High Quality Picture

Supports Dolby Vision

High Quality Sound

DP-UB159 Main Features
High Quality Picture

High Quality Sound

DP-UB150/154 Main Features
High Quality Picture

High Quality Sound

HDR10+ is an open, royalty-free dynamic metadata platform created by 20th Century Fox, Panasonic and Samsung. To learn more about the HDR10+ license program, please contact the HDR10+ license administration office at [email protected].

Dolby, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.

Rgb 01-08-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbino421 (Post 57398972)
Wonder if the 450 will have the same PQ as the 820/9000? HCX Chip?

If you are asking if the UB450 will have the HDR Optimizer, the discussion at
https://www.avforums.com/threads/ces...ayers.2209787/

appears to imply "Yes", but until someone confirms the chipset/featureset and/or does a handson/teardown, we won't know for sure

Rgb 01-08-2019 08:06 AM

Hopefully not a UK/Europe only release...

Erod 01-17-2019 02:23 PM

What do these do for a projector that the 820 doesn't? I want to buy what Panasonic puts out because I want to support a company that is pushing the medium forward, but it's kind of the 820 again.

Unless, of course, it can handle HDR 10+ dynamically for my JVC projector. That would be cool.

wco81 01-26-2019 04:25 PM

No HDMI 2.1?

Ron Jones 01-28-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erod (Post 57455842)
What do these do for a projector that the 820 doesn't? I want to buy what Panasonic puts out because I want to support a company that is pushing the medium forward, but it's kind of the 820 again.

Unless, of course, it can handle HDR 10+ dynamically for my JVC projector. That would be cool.

I take it these are lower-end models (i.e. less expensive) than the current 820 player. Perhaps there will be an updated 8xx series model released as well, or just firmware updates to the existing 820 with that existing model remaining in the 2019 UHD Blu-ray player line up from Panasonic.

Ron Jones 01-28-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 57504804)
No HDMI 2.1?

I don't think HDMI 2.1 would offer much (if any) benefit on a UHD BD player. I say this because the UHD Blu-ray spec. was created assuming HDMI 2.0a (or 20b). On the other hand for a UHD TVs that has premium performance, such as a 120 Hz native refresh rate with native 12-bit color depth, then for applications such as PC based gamming, HDMI 2.1 could offer some benefit. HDMI 2.1 is really needed for 8K TVs to handle the higher data rate requirements. Finally HDMI 2.1 has some features that could be useful for UHD TVs and AVR, such an Audio Return Channel that supports ATMOS and DTS-X formats.

wco81 01-28-2019 03:47 PM

I thought UHD BD had some optional support for HFR formats?

Erod 01-28-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Jones (Post 57514666)
Quote:

I take it these are lower-end models (i.e. less expensive) than the current 820 player. Perhaps there will be an updated 8xx series model released as well, or just firmware updates to the existing 820 with that existing model remaining in the 2019 UHD Blu-ray player line up from Panasonic.

No, I'm looking for a tangible reason to buy the ub9000 when I already have the 820. Not seeing one yet.

Erod 01-28-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 57504804)
No HDMI 2.1?

The need for 2.1 is a long, long way apparently.

Rgb 01-28-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

My hope is that at least one of these will be a lower cost version of the 820, i.e. have HDR tone mapping and HDR<>SDR conversions and DV/HDR10+ with dynamic tone mapping for less than $200.

Also wish they make an 820 successor that plays all known optical media, i.e. add DVDA+SACD support as well as CD, BD, UHD discs

Rgb 01-28-2019 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Rgb 01-28-2019 05:39 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a UB850...

Ron Jones 03-01-2019 03:48 AM

It's now been nearly 2 months since the announcement at CES of the upcoming DP-UB450. Anyone heard any news as to if or when this model will become available in the USA. I'm already using a 820 in my home theater to drive a JVC projector and I'm potentially interested in a 450 to use with a new LG OLED in my family room.

jrlnc 03-01-2019 05:19 AM

This is a lightweight cheap plastic box. Only 2.6 lbs and not even a front display!
At least they dropped the hideous flip down panel!

I wouldn't expect much from it.

Unfortunately Panasonic owns the secret sauce we all want so I guess to get the best tone-mapping options it will be the UB9000 (for me anyway).

smhunter1983 03-11-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Jones (Post 57676690)
It's now been nearly 2 months since the announcement at CES of the upcoming DP-UB450. Anyone heard any news as to if or when this model will become available in the USA. I'm already using a 820 in my home theater to drive a JVC projector and I'm potentially interested in a 450 to use with a new LG OLED in my family room.

It is odd its been silent on the news for these new products.

mhutchins 03-12-2019 03:59 PM

While the Panasonic UK site lists 8 different UHD players (UB9000, UB820EB, UB450EB, UB420EB, UB391EB, UB320EB, UB159EB & UB150EB), the US site only lists one (UB820-K)!! Models in red are not available for sale on the Panasonic web site as of today. Worse yet, here in the US, the only UHD player direct from the Panasonic US web site is listed as Preorder...

What's going on?!? Is Panasonic starting to exit the US market for UHD players after giving up on the US flat panel market a few years ago?

Mike

Samfield 03-13-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhutchins (Post 57736036)
While the Panasonic UK site lists 8 different UHD players (UB9000, UB820EB, UB450EB, UB420EB, UB391EB, UB320EB, UB159EB & UB150EB), the US site only lists one (UB820-K)!! Models in red are not available for sale on the Panasonic web site as of today. Worse yet, here in the US, the only UHD player direct from the Panasonic US web site is listed as Preorder...

What's going on?!? Is Panasonic starting to exit the US market for UHD players after giving up on the US flat panel market a few years ago?

Mike

Robert Zohn of Value Electronics seems to have the inside track on Panasonic UHD players being sold in the US. His site has both the 820 and 9000 listed for sale, but no other Panasonics. He does have the Sony 800 replacement player listed as "coming soon", but no such listing for the UB150, or UB450 (which is what I'm waiting to pick-up as a back-up player). On the other hand Panasonic did take the time to show these new units at CES so why do that if you don't intend to release them in the US? (Samsung showed no new hardware at CES and then followed that up with an announcement about pulling out of UHD hardware sales.) I guess we'll have to be patient, for now?

luzovich 03-13-2019 02:08 PM

Both the UB154 and UB424 are available now on Amazon in Germany. Seems like they are dragging their feet in the US.

Schwa 03-14-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhutchins (Post 57736036)

Mike

Best Buy has the 820 in stock and B&H says they expect to receive additional stock in 2-4 weeks...and those were just the first two Google results I clicked on.

I think if Panasonic intended to pull out of the US market, VE wouldn't have been able to get their hands on the UB9000. Robert sure seems to be selling all of the units that he receives!

Ron Jones 03-18-2019 10:32 AM

I exchanged messages with Robert of VE and he said VE would not be carrying the 150 and 450 and implied Panasonic USA would not be bringing these models into the USA for distribution.

Zoland2020 03-18-2019 12:22 PM

@ronjon es Ahh well that stinks, looks like I'd just wait for the Sony UBP-X800M2 after all.

Samfield 03-19-2019 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Jones (Post 57765202)
I exchanged messages with Robert of VE and he said VE would not be carrying the 150 and 450 and implied Panasonic USA would not be bringing these models into the USA for distribution.

That's disappointing news. Surprised Panasonic showed these models here in the US at CES. Looks like either the Sony 700, or new 800 for me as a backup player.

Rathbone 04-02-2019 04:32 AM

A German magazine has reviewed the UB154. Based on this review the UB154 and most likely also the UB450 are entry level players without a native Panasonic HCX chipset. This is the same way Panasonic went in the Blu-ray player range where the low end players were using Mediatek chipsets.

- Menus look different (branding towards Panasonic is recognizable but it still looks very different from native Panasonic chipsets)
- Lots of missing features like HDR Optimizer
- Video EQ extremely basic
- External power supply
- Board layout and drive different from native Panasonic players
- 4K upscaling characteristics very different from native Panasonic players. Native Panasonics have a tendency to apply addtional sharpening even without touching the EQ. This is not existing on the UB159 whose upscaling is rather soft.
- Deinterlacing performance is bad => typical for low end Mediatek chipsets and usually one of the greatest strenghts of Panasonic chipsets.

luzovich 04-02-2019 12:57 PM

If you look at this page (link) you can see that the UB450 does not list the HDR Optimizer as a feature. It's interesting that it is listed for the UB420.

zeonstar 04-06-2019 11:38 AM

So is it not even confirmed if the 450 will come to the US?

Kpbearfl 04-17-2019 01:50 AM

The 450 I ordered is arriving in a couple of hours (april 17th)

I was unable to find reviews online anywhere, I've been waiting since the announcement for these to be available to buy, on paper they are complete and not too expansive

this was the first time I bought something based only on features and brand, I hope this wasn't a bad decision because I feel like I'm the first and maybe the only one who bought this player so far.

lebellium 04-21-2019 12:02 PM

According to the user manual (https://tda.panasonic-europe-service...8/TQBS0337.pdf) the UB450 is able to send out native DSD signals over HDMI.

page 24:
Quote:

DSD Output Mode
Select the audio signal to output.
- Select “PCM”, when the connected equipment cannot decode the respective audio format. This unit decodes the audio format and transmits to the connected equipment.
- If you do not make proper settings the audio may be static or noisy.
- “DSD Output Mode” is effective only when connecting the unit with an HDMI cable.
- When playing DSD 11.2 MHz format file regardless of the settings for “DSD Output Mode”, PCM signals are output from HDMI terminal and UB450UB159COAXIAL terminal.
That would be an interesting point compared to the previous UB420 which converted DSD signals to PCM.

If an early buyer of the UB450 and owner of an AV receiver decoding native DSD could try it out and confirm it?

Thank you