Is Ultra HD Blu-ray Doomed? - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray Doomed?
It's toast & sooner than you think 30 4.81%
It'll stick around for a while but it's doomed 146 23.40%
It'll keep being a niche option for major new releases, for years to come 332 53.21%
As more people buy 4K (and 8K) TVs UHD Blu-ray will make a comeback 116 18.59%
Voters: 624. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 449Likes

post #331 of 345 Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I only go to the movie theater one or two times per year. I always complain about the sound to my girlfriend, as I don't feel it's ever loud or impactful enough. Dialogue can sometimes be hard to hear. IMAX movies are usually an exception to this rule. But if you have a decent HT setup at home, I've found that the whole "cinema experience" people claim is superior to staying at home isn't really true.

We have an iPic here, which was basically a chain that started doing the whole dine-in movie theater experience before AMC started getting into it. It's a bit pricier, but the chairs are comfortable and there are usually never any kids there. The theaters feel more like those types that you'd see a private screening in than they do a real full-blown movie theater. Most people there are on dates and usually don't cause any trouble.

The other issue I've always had is that, pretty much with everything being 2-2.5 hours, if not longer, I find it impossible to sit still for that long. Plus, if you have to go to the bathroom, you're forced to either hold it or miss a portion of the film. I've always wished they'd bring back intermissions like they had in the old days with really long movies, but we know that will never happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 345 Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 560
That's why you use something like RunPee - it has a timer that tells you when the movie slows down so you can use the bathroom. And yes, it includes a summary of what you missed, which you should read before re entering the theatre.
Dark Matter, Boxozaxu and dfa973 like this.
post #333 of 345 Old 07-08-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 25413
I haven't been to a movie theater in years. Mostly due to the abundance of inconsiderate folks in the theater. I expect discs to be my main movie viewing source for some years to come.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 345 Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Back to the OP's question, imho, I think it's here to stay for quite some time but will eventually get relegated to a more niche market. Those of us who went through the Laserdisc era, I believe, would agree. Laser disc sales are no where near BD sales and the Criterion collection Laserdiscs were even more niche. Sales of both were enough, however, for the studio's and Criterion to maintain a production line. Criterion had the additional costs of all the enhancements they applied to the source material they were provided.

Regards
GMan
post #335 of 345 Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMancusa View Post
Back to the OP's question, imho, I think it's here to stay for quite some time but will eventually get relegated to a more niche market. Those of us who went through the Laserdisc era, I believe, would agree. Laser disc sales are no where near BD sales and the Criterion collection Laserdiscs were even more niche. Sales of both were enough, however, for the studio's and Criterion to maintain a production line. Criterion had the additional costs of all the enhancements they applied to the source material they were provided.
Ah, good old Laserdisc. We had a laserdisc player in my science class in the early 90s. It was the only time I ever actually saw one in use. I'm surprised they never caught on, but then if you look at their prices, especially at that point in time, I can see why. But what truly amazes me is that Pioneer continued to make LD players until 2009. Then again, I believe the last VCR makers only ceased production in 2016, which is pretty amazing.

If you think back to the jump from VHS to DVD, it was a very, very big deal. Not just picture quality, but the ability to play a movie over and over without deterioration. Jumping to scenes. No rewinding. Special features and commentaries. It might not seem like much now, but buying DVDs during those early years was very exciting in the late 90s.

I remember, after the dust settled on the HD-DVD vs BD format war, it still took many years for people to adopt BD. Some people simply never did - including a couple of friends of mine who said they'd be damned if they were going to rebuy their entire DVD collection again. Despite this, the jump in picture quality from SD to HD was very noticeable - far more noticeable than the jump from 1080p to 4K HDR, in my opinion.

My girlfriend, for example, fails to appreciate the differences between 1080p and HDR - nor does she really seem to notice any difference at all. While I disagree, I fear that the improvements just aren't as dramatic as previous format transitions - which combined with streaming's popularity, will make for a very small market - similar to SACDs.

However, as others have pointed out, I'm very happy to see a wide selection of UHD movie available at Best Buy. My local Walmarts have a decent selection as well, which is a good sign that us physical media lovers won't have much to worry about. At least not right now.

On a side note, I really wish Netflix (the disc branch - not the streaming branch) would adopt UHD discs, but I don't see that happening. Although the disc subscriptions are still profitable, it's not nearly as heavily supported as it once was. What's funny is that some people don't even know that Netflix was originally built on a disc subscription format. I work with a family and I had a Netflix disc with me that I was taking with me to a friend's house and the lady wondered what it was and had absolutely no idea that such a service even existed. She thought it has always been streaming only. Nevertheless, I've kept both services and will continue to do until Netflix pulls the plug on it.
vardo, fredxr2d2 and dfa973 like this.

Last edited by alettiere; 07-11-2019 at 10:25 PM.
post #336 of 345 Old 07-17-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Being a gamer, I already have too many boxes under my TV, and I already own an Xbox One (original) so at the moment, I don't have any devices that can play UHD disks, nor do I want yet another box under the TV. My Xbox gets little enough play that I'm definitely not upgrading it for UHD playback.

Maybe with the next generation of consoles, I'll have a player capable of it.

This is contrary to DVD (PS2... even if that wasn't a very good player) and Blu-Ray where I got playback of the latest disk format "by default" since it was in the most popular console.

And if I owned a UHD player... If I like a movie enough to buy, there's no reason not to get the UHD version.

On the plus side, UHD disks will probably drop in price while I wait.

But in the grander scope of things... Even regular Blu-Ray has had a difficult time gaining traction. It's been out for far longer than DVD had been when Blu-Ray first came out, but the cheaper DVD format remains more popular (probably because it's cheap and "good enough"). Even regular Blu-Ray is still a bit of a niche, so UHD Blu-Ray is a niche-within-a-niche.
...and all three are getting wrecked by streaming, because *gasp* "Good enough", cheaper, *and* more convenient.
aaronwt and dfa973 like this.

Last edited by gsilver; 07-17-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #337 of 345 Old 07-23-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 288
With the announced SDVoE 18GBPS over 100 meters networking over CAT6A or even CAT5 networks will easily integrate Blu-ray UltraHD with internet protocol streaming at lower cost as products are introduced. Get ready to re-imagine what is achievable.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #338 of 345 Old 09-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is another possibility, here. Over in the gaming world there are lots of indie titles that are digital only releases, but there is still a very vocal minority of gamers that prefer physical copies of games. So, in recent years there have been a few entrepreneurs that have taken advantage of a business opportunity there. Limited Run Games and Strictly Limited Games are 2 such companies. Basically, they make deals with these indie game developers to release limited edition physical versions of their games. It's been hugely successful. Every time a new release comes out from one of these companies it sells out immediately and becomes highly collectible on eBay.

The point is, if the big distributors stop selling physical media, that just opens the door for entrepreneurs to step in and make small print runs of physical copies for enthusiasts like the people in this forum. It's entirely possible something similar to Limited Run Games might happen for movies if physical copies start disappearing. I guess, in a way, something similar already exists in the movie world: Criterion and Arrow are a couple of examples of small time physical releases.
Matt2026 likes this.

Last edited by jchahn; 09-04-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #339 of 345 Old 09-04-2019, 02:23 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9218 Post(s)
Liked: 5927
Wow!! I couldn't imagine going back to discs for my games. I stopped using discs for games in 2013. The only time I will consider using a disc is for a rental.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #340 of 345 Old 09-08-2019, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As an individual I’m a statistical blip, but hopefully there are more with my scenario. I finally purchased a 4K OLED a few months ago and, while I love the 4K experience via Netflix, I know I’m lacking the full capability. For that reason a Pioneer UDP LX-500 arrives tomorrow and I can’t wait to start running some UHD discs through it.
post #341 of 345 Old 09-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Wow!! I couldn't imagine going back to discs for my games. I stopped using discs for games in 2013. The only time I will consider using a disc is for a rental.

A lot of gamers I know still purchase discs. The reason? They can be sold when no longer needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt2026 likes this.
post #342 of 345 Old 09-16-2019, 01:45 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
A lot of gamers I know still purchase discs. The reason? They can be sold when no longer needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The last time I looked at selling or trading in old games on Disc, was back in 2013. And I realized it wasn't worth my time for the paltry amount they were worth.

Although there is one game I wish they would bring to digital from the 360. The game Blur.

But I either trashed my 360 discs or traded them in for a few cents each, when I traded my 360's in for Xbox Ones in 2013.

post #343 of 345 Old 09-16-2019, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The last time I looked at selling or trading in old games on Disc, was back in 2013. And I realized it wasn't worth my time for the paltry amount they were worth.

Although there is one game I wish they would bring to digital from the 360. The game Blur.

But I either trashed my 360 discs or traded them in for a few cents each, when I traded my 360's in for Xbox Ones in 2013.
When Super Mario Odyssey was released, I bought it, played through it in a few months, and then sold it - for just a few dollars less than what I paid for it brand new. Yes, it's not a disc, but I followed the same approach with discs prior to owning the Switch.

But then again, I'm not a big gamer. So if I really want a game, I buy it, play through it, and then get rid of it - losing very little money the process.

I feel this holds true with movies as well - although probably not as beneficial in terms of getting your money back. As I like having a "collection" on my shelf. Whenever I buy a new 4K UHD BD of an old favorite film, I have my girlfriend post my old, existing BD copy of the movie on Amazon and eBay. I definitely won't get the 20-25 dollars I paid for most of them in the late 00s, but it's better than nothing, I guess.
post #344 of 345 Old 09-16-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 939
Seems like all the Disney releases do not have Dolby Vision on disc but then the streaming versions they put on various services have DV?

If that's common with other studios, that may be one sign UHD BD isn't long for this world.
dfa973 likes this.
post #345 of 345 Old 09-16-2019, 09:41 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Seems like all the Disney releases do not have Dolby Vision on disc but then the streaming versions they put on various services have DV?

If that's common with other studios, that may be one sign UHD BD isn't long for this world.
It's mostly a Disney thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page