Sony UBP-X1100ES Anticipation Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 119 Old 05-26-2019, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,022
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
What kind of Hi-Res audio do you mean?
Previous X800 and X700 both play them all over LAN (PCM 192/24, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, DSD) so why wouldn't this one?
This is playing on my UBP-X700. My previous X800 was no different in this respect:
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I mean lossless such as DTS-Master HD and Dolby TrueHD in video files such as Blu-ray/UHD rips.
Keenan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 02:07 PM
Member
 
DVnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
No word yet if Sony's DV toggle stubbornness will continue for the X1100ES.
The Manual is finally on line under Sony Support. Sadly you still need to manually toggle DV on and off. I read nothing that stated Auto DV. What gives? Is this a flavor of DV just for Sony? Is there some type of advantage internally in these players to not support auto DV?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../47408251M.pdf

Sony OLED XBR-65A1E / Sony UHD Player UBP-X800Mark 2, & 1
Sony Playstation 4 Pro / Sony A/V Receiver STR ZA2100ES
Apple 4KTV / DirectTV Genie Gen 2 H44-500

Last edited by DVnt; 05-31-2019 at 02:11 PM.
DVnt is offline  
post #63 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,022
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVnt View Post
The Manual is finally on line under Sony Support. Sadly you still need to manually toggle DV on and off. I read nothing that stated Auto DV. What gives? Is this a flavor of DV just for Sony? Is there some type of advantage internally in these players to not support auto DV?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../47408251M.pdf
I read that manual entry as saying the "On" position is the Auto position, meaning that when the player encounters a DV-encoded disc it will play in the format automatically. When in the "Off" position it will block any DV-encoded content from going to a display that is not DV-capable, and there are people who prefer HDR10 over DV and I'm guessing this switch will allow for that.

Botton line, leaving the switch in the "On" position equates to Auto, in my opinion, hard to say until actually playing with the unit itself.
Keenan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 03:31 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,804
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9203 Post(s)
Liked: 5918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I mean lossless such as DTS-Master HD and Dolby TrueHD in video files such as Blu-ray/UHD rips.
That has to do with the container used. With MKV, DTS-HD MA is not an issue with the X800. While Dolby True HD yields silence. While the same content in an m2ts file will play fine with Dolby True HD.

And then if you have the Sony player decode to PCM, it will decode the Dolby True HD audio to PCm from the MKV file and you will get audio output instead of silence.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #65 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 03:34 PM
Member
 
DVnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I read that manual entry as saying the "On" position is the Auto (DV) position, meaning that when the player encounters a DV-encoded disc it will play in the format automatically. When in the "Off" position it will block any DV-encoded content from going to a display that is not DV-capable, and there are people who prefer HDR10 over DV and I'm guessing this switch will allow for that.

Botton line, leaving the switch in the "On" position equates to Auto, in my opinion, hard to say until actually playing with the unit itself.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Under screen settings page 21-22 you have BRAVIA Mode, HDR Output, and Dolby Vision Output. HDR Output choices are Auto or Off, DV Output choices are On or Off. I bolded your statement and stopped at content as isn't this the same operation as the X700 and current X800M2 for DV choices? And if so then the 1100ES will falsely try to output erroneous DV signal to the display from disc that aren't encoded in DV if left On. I am assuming as much. But I do agree with you on this point, to wait and see the unit on hand and in operation. Myself, I'm fine upgrading from the X800 Mark 1 to the Mark 2.

Sony OLED XBR-65A1E / Sony UHD Player UBP-X800Mark 2, & 1
Sony Playstation 4 Pro / Sony A/V Receiver STR ZA2100ES
Apple 4KTV / DirectTV Genie Gen 2 H44-500
DVnt is offline  
post #66 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,022
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That has to do with the container used. With MKV, DTS-HD MA is not an issue with the X800. While Dolby True HD yields silence. While the same content in an m2ts file will play fine with Dolby True HD.

And then if you have the Sony player decode to PCM, it will decode the Dolby True HD audio to PCm from the MKV file and you will get audio output instead of silence.
So how does it compare to an OPPO, which can play just about anything via the LAN? I'm looking for a possible backup/replacement for my OPPO 203 and it needs to be able to play ripped content such as UHD discs with full audio capabilities, does this Sony do that? I looked through the format playback charts and it doesn't appear that TrueHD or Atmos are playable via the LAN.

I guess I should be asking if the Sony will play content in a BDMV file/folder structure and I'm guessing not.
Keenan is online now  
post #67 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,022
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVnt View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. Under screen settings page 21-22 you have BRAVIA Mode, HDR Output, and Dolby Vision Output. HDR Output choices are Auto or Off, DV Output choices are On or Off. I bolded your statement and stopped at content as isn't this the same operation as the X700 and current X800M2 for DV choices? And if so then the 1100ES will falsely try to output erroneous DV signal to the display from disc that aren't encoded in DV if left On. I am assuming as much. But I do agree with you on this point, to wait and see the unit on hand and in operation. Myself, I'm fine upgrading from the X800 Mark 1 to the Mark 2.
I guess we'll have to wait and see, it seems pretty clear to me but I could certainly be wrong. I'm not reading that it forces DV anywhere, only that it allows for DV if the sink device is capable of using that signal.
Keenan is online now  
post #68 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 04:25 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,804
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9203 Post(s)
Liked: 5918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
So how does it compare to an OPPO, which can play just about anything via the LAN? I'm looking for a possible backup/replacement for my OPPO 203 and it needs to be able to play ripped content such as UHD discs with full audio capabilities, does this Sony do that? I looked through the format playback charts and it doesn't appear that TrueHD or Atmos are playable via the LAN.

I guess I should be asking if the Sony will play content in a BDMV file/folder structure and I'm guessing not.
OPPO was nowhere near the norm. They played just about everything. Which is not typical for a disc player. I use Shield TVs to play back my UHD BD MKV rips. I have zero issues bitstreaming the lossless audio from the rips. Plus I can get a graphical interface that shows me cover art, poster art, actors, etc. Which you didn't have on the Oppo or on the Sony.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #69 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 04:26 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,804
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9203 Post(s)
Liked: 5918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I guess we'll have to wait and see, it seems pretty clear to me but I could certainly be wrong. I'm not reading that it forces DV anywhere, only that it allows for DV if the sink device is capable of using that signal.
I would expect it to behave just like the X800M2 for DV. Which behaves just like the X700 does with DV.
Which forces DV on everything when you have it set to on.

And it just boggles the mind why Sony doesn't have it set to automatically switch between DV, HDR10, and SDR. Like all the other DV players do.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #70 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,022
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would expect it to behave just like the X800M2 for DV. Which behaves just like the X700 does with DV.
Which forces DV on everything when you have it set to on.

And it just boggles the mind why Sony doesn't have it set to automatically switch between DV, HDR10, and SDR. Like all the other DV players do.
That is crazy and I agree, it should be automatic instead of forced. The next time the Sony rep comes to my local Mag/HiFi it's something I'm going to ask him about.
Keenan is online now  
post #71 of 119 Old 05-31-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,022
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
OPPO was nowhere near the norm. They played just about everything. Which is not typical for a disc player. I use Shield TVs to play back my UHD BD MKV rips. I have zero issues bitstreaming the lossless audio from the rips. Plus I can get a graphical interface that shows me cover art, poster art, actors, etc. Which you didn't have on the Oppo or on the Sony.
Yes, the OPPOs were very rare birds, which explains why they're going for insane amounts of money on the used market!
Keenan is online now  
post #72 of 119 Old 06-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Member
 
lebellium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: France
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
lebellium is offline  
post #73 of 119 Old 06-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
aracGuate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Guatemala City, Land of the Eternal Spring
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Región B for Bluray play only!
Región 2 for DVD play only!

Hope Sony changes those settings for USA market

Does someone knows something about this player yet?
Is it going to be in the stores this year?

Nice review, very complete.
Sonys UBP-X1100es seems like a very good option.

Last edited by aracGuate; 06-11-2019 at 04:06 PM.
aracGuate is offline  
post #74 of 119 Old 06-11-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,022
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
Región B for Bluray play only!
Región 2 for DVD play only!

Hope Sony changes those settings for USA market

Does someone knows something about this player yet?
Is it going to be in the stores this year?

Nice review, very complete.
Sonys UBP-X1100es seems like a very good option.
That's a UK review site, Region B is Europe (EU), Africa, Middle East, Australia, and New Zealand.
Keenan is online now  
post #75 of 119 Old 06-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Member
 
sloanthebone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
From that review:

One annoying aspect of the player's setup is that for Dolby Vision playback you have to turn that feature on in the menu. However in doing so the player will output HDR10 and Dolby Vision content as Dolby Vision. That is far from ideal, because HDR10 content should be displayed as it was created, and not converted into Dolby Vision. The only way around this problem is to leave the Dolby Vision setting off so that HDR10 is output as HDR10, and then manually turn on Dolby Vision when playing a Dolby Vision disc.
Panson likes this.
sloanthebone is offline  
post #76 of 119 Old 06-15-2019, 07:35 AM
Member
 
crazepharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What's the differnence between this and say the Sony UBP X800?
crazepharmacist is offline  
post #77 of 119 Old 06-15-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanthebone View Post
From that review:

One annoying aspect of the player's setup is that for Dolby Vision playback you have to turn that feature on in the menu. However in doing so the player will output HDR10 and Dolby Vision content as Dolby Vision. That is far from ideal, because HDR10 content should be displayed as it was created, and not converted into Dolby Vision. The only way around this problem is to leave the Dolby Vision setting off so that HDR10 is output as HDR10, and then manually turn on Dolby Vision when playing a Dolby Vision disc.
And it reiterates that in the Cons with, "Dolby Vision implementation not ideal".

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #78 of 119 Old 06-15-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
What's the difference between this and say the Sony UBP X800?
Dolby Vision, analog section, maybe other.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #79 of 119 Old 06-16-2019, 03:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Dolby Vision, analog section, maybe other.
Front panel display.

Optical digital out.
RS-232 for system integration.
Panson likes this.
priitv8 is offline  
post #80 of 119 Old 06-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lozin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Front panel display is a must. I won’t buy a player without one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lozin is offline  
post #81 of 119 Old 06-16-2019, 03:52 PM
 
IIDexII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Track listing is nice does it have this?

My UHP-H1 only shows number when a cd track starts, NET, time, stop,play and Home...

If I remember correctly
IIDexII is offline  
post #82 of 119 Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,358
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3158 Post(s)
Liked: 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
This player is on my radar. Might be the one to replace my beloved Oppo. The Bravia mode really has my interest piqued.
Let us know when you pick one up Wabo

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #83 of 119 Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 16,781
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7044 Post(s)
Liked: 15756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Let us know when you pick one up Wabo
I decided to go a different route. I am looking forward to your review when yours arrives. Don’t make us wait too long, Franin. We’re an impatient bunch.

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #84 of 119 Old 07-01-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,358
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3158 Post(s)
Liked: 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I decided to go a different route. I am looking forward to your review when yours arrives. Don’t make us wait too long, Franin. We’re an impatient bunch.


Soon hopefully that will be no 22


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #85 of 119 Old 07-02-2019, 05:20 PM
Member
 
allisonok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just placed my order!

Denon AVR-X6300H, LG OLED55B7A, Sony UPB-X1100ES, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Roamio OTA, Panasonic DMR-ES46V, Proscan PSLD-43, Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB
Klipsch R-820f fronts, C-2 center, R-620 surrounds and F-2 back, Quintet V for Atmos, Monoprice Monolith 10", Velodyne VRP-10

Last edited by allisonok; 07-03-2019 at 08:23 AM.
allisonok is offline  
post #86 of 119 Old 07-03-2019, 05:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I can't believe a new Blu Ray player this expensive still can't automatically swtich from dolby vision to non dolby vision automatically. Panasonic and LG have been doing it for a long time.
aaronwt, allisonok, yobbo and 1 others like this.
Braggtrooper is offline  
post #87 of 119 Old 07-03-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braggtrooper View Post
I can't believe a new Blu Ray player this expensive still can't automatically swtich from dolby vision to non dolby vision automatically. Panasonic and LG have been doing it for a long time.
I can't believe the prices on any of them, for what they do and don't offer.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #88 of 119 Old 07-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 8,265
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Haven't read the whole thread and a Search didn't turn up HDR10+ as a feature of the X1100es. If true, seems like a big ommision for a 2019+ player, esp against UB820
Rgb is offline  
post #89 of 119 Old 07-04-2019, 03:05 AM
Member
 
danielb6752's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
I too hope Auto DV is on this player. Fingers crossed it is, cause I like Sony 4K blu ray players. I have the X800 and it looks great and I only had one disk that froze but other than that they all played fine. If not, then maybe I would go for the X800M2 cause it would most likely be the same thing in terms of manually switching on DV.

audiomanz
Yes, this. The manual switch to/from DV is so disappointing in my X700 player.
danielb6752 is offline  
post #90 of 119 Old 07-04-2019, 03:31 AM
 
IIDexII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I really don't see the big deal about the manual on off DV.

I remember a Denon player I manually had to toggle resolution button on the players panel.
Didn't bother me.

So I don't see the big deal, if it can be adjusted by the remote/settings.


Sent fra min AGS-W09 via Tapatalk
IIDexII is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off