OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #451 of 480 Old 09-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Well, I have had this player for a while now. Experiences are mixed.

It plays back disks without problems. No freezes so far. No other iccups.

But, I bought this player for use as a media player also. And this is where it sucks.
MKV files are a problem. Long load times, video/audio sync issues.

So I tried M2TS files. They start playing almost immediately. I have tried a few full uncompressed movie files. Avengers Endgame for example, at over 60GB's.
But... The colours are all off. Weird splotches of pink on skin tones. A lot of banding. Not really watchable and very annoying. The picture also seems dark.

The settings of my player are ok. Because original disks play back fine. Also DV disks play back fine.
At the moment DV is turned off as the movie images are HDR(10).

I have an LG C7 series oled. It supports HDR but not HDR10. Could that be it? If yes, what do I need to change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 480 Old 09-02-2019, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperErik View Post
It supports HDR but not HDR10. Could that be it?
There is no such thing, all HDR is HDR10. Except for the 3 distinctly different formats - HLG (metadata-less), Dolby Vision and HDR10+ (Samsung's Dolby Vision).
I can not relate to your experiences with playing m2ts fles. Are you sure your rips are correct? What do they show in Media Info?
post #453 of 480 Old 09-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
There is no such thing, all HDR is HDR10. Except for the 3 distinctly different formats - HLG (metadata-less), Dolby Vision and HDR10+ (Samsung's Dolby Vision).
I can not relate to your experiences with playing m2ts fles. Are you sure your rips are correct? What do they show in Media Info?
You are right. I meant HDR10+ but I don't even have any content in that format.
Mediainfo shows HDR10.
The rips are good: Full BD rips without any tinkering.

Just watched the 4K disc of Cabin in the Woods and it also looks... Off. Too dark at times, and just weird colouring sometomes. Not as bad as the files though.

Netflix 4K looks very good without any of the issues mentioned above. For the record: I use the LG tv built in Netflix app.

I have no clue... On my receiver all settings should be right. HDMI is set to passthrough and 'Enhanced' mode. It's a Denon X2500H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 480 Old 09-02-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Just watched the 4K disc of Cabin in the Woods and it also looks... Off. Too dark at times, and just weird colouring sometomes. Not as bad as the files though.

Netflix 4K looks very good without any of the issues mentioned above. For the record: I use the LG tv built in Netflix app.

I have no clue... On my receiver all settings should be right. HDMI is set to passthrough and 'Enhanced' mode. It's a Denon X2500H.
Hmm. Some ideas:
- Are you sure your cable(s) is/are in premium quality (guaranteed 18Gbps)?
- How do images look with Enhanced mode off? (24fps HDR10 does not require enhanced mode). BTW if you opt for enhanced, then you need to make 3 adjustments - UBP, AVR and TV.
- How do images look when you connect UBP directly to TV?
post #455 of 480 Old 09-03-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Hmm. Some ideas:
- Are you sure your cable(s) is/are in premium quality (guaranteed 18Gbps)?
- How do images look with Enhanced mode off? (24fps HDR10 does not require enhanced mode). BTW if you opt for enhanced, then you need to make 3 adjustments - UBP, AVR and TV.
- How do images look when you connect UBP directly to TV?
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the cables are certified 18Gbps. I tested the cables on the Denon. The Denon has a service menu that allows you to do that.

Enhanced mode on or off does not make a difference. But the Denon states that Enhanced mode is needed for 10bit HDR playback.

Now comes the weird thing... I turned on Dolby Vision on the X800M2 and it seems to make a little difference. But my tv still shows the HDR popup on the top right, instead of Dolby Vision!

So I popped in the Blade Runner 2049 disc, which is in Dolby Vision.
It plays back like it should. Flawless picture after the Dolby Vision box pops up in the upper right.
So the issue is probably the media player component of the X800m2. Disappointing...

I will try some other blu-ray m2ts files, but I'm not expecting much.
post #456 of 480 Old 09-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My first freeze

Playing Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key of life" SACD disc.

Was listening to it earlier in the day and turn everything off.

Come back a few hours alter to listen again and this time no video/sound from the player - but the power light is green. I can't turn the player off or eject the disc.

Yank the power cord for 10 seconds, plugged it back in and it works.
post #457 of 480 Old 09-03-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

Come back a few hours alter to listen again and this time no video/sound from the player - but the power light is green. I can't turn the player off or eject the disc.

My advice with just about all of these new devices with embedded OSes these days...keep the power plug handy! They are going to hang, crash, or misbehave at some point and will need a full power-on reboot!
Panson likes this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #458 of 480 Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Temporary loss of picture

I've had a few issues with my X800m2 over the past 3 months and wanted to see if anybody had similar experiences.

Equipment:
LG C9 OLED
Pioneer VSX-LX503
Sony UBP-X800m2

There are definitely some handshaking issues between the X800, the Pioneer AVR, and the OLED. When I first got the player, sometimes I would get the LG showing it's "no picture" message, but audio would be fine. Plugging directly into the LG OLED had no such picture issues.

I purchased a Dr. HDMI 4K and that fixed the problems for the most part. Sometimes the OLED will just display a bluescreen (which I think is coming from the Pioneer AVR), but power cycling the Dr. HDMI 4K will fix that.

Over the weekend, I had a new problem with the screen going black for a few seconds on 3 occasions while watching a BD of Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition. Given the movie is 3.5 hours, a few seconds of lost picture isn't the end of the world, but still annoying.
post #459 of 480 Old 09-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Enhanced mode on or off does not make a difference. But the Denon states that Enhanced mode is needed for 10bit HDR playback.
Not necessarily. As you can see from my screenshots, with deep color off, my X700 outputs 24fps, 4:2:2, 12bit and it remains nicely within 300MHz pixel clock.
If I turn Deep Color to Auto, however, it will output 4:4:4 and this will exceed 300MHz, hence requires Enhanced mode.
Quote:
Now comes the weird thing... I turned on Dolby Vision on the X800M2 and it seems to make a little difference. But my tv still shows the HDR popup on the top right, instead of Dolby Vision!
In which instance do you see the HDR popup? As far as I can tell, the menus are still displayed in SDR (irrespective if DoVi on or off), but they are in 60fps.
Quote:
It plays back like it should. Flawless picture after the Dolby Vision box pops up in the upper right.
So the issue is probably the media player component of the X800m2. Disappointing...
When you start playback of a movie, it will indeed be played back in DoVi (if you turned it on in settings). So I still do not understand the issue with media player component.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1870.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	707.9 KB
ID:	2611454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	600.1 KB
ID:	2611456  
post #460 of 480 Old 09-05-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the cables are certified 18Gbps. I tested the cables on the Denon. The Denon has a service menu that allows you to do that.

What TV do you have?
If it is a Sony and you are talking about the settings menu on the right hand side of screen that will never show Dolby Vision, only HDR. If you go to the quick settings (the bottom popup) you will see Picture Mode listed as Dolby Vision Light or Dark if it is DV content

Living Room - XBR77A9G / X800M2 / X4500h / Klipsch RP260F - RC62 II - R-112SW - R-41-SA (Atmos) Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR (Surrounds + Atmos)
Bedroom - 65VT30
post #461 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

My S6700 freezes almost every time I try to play an SACD, which sometimes requires two full power cycles to correct. It's so bad, I pulled the player out of my rack and went with another brand. Sony's software is really suboptimal these days.
post #462 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
My S6700 freezes almost every time I try to play an SACD, which sometimes requires two full power cycles to correct. It's so bad, I pulled the player out of my rack and went with another brand. Sony's software is really suboptimal these days.
Are you saying that you unplug it, wait for awhile, then plug it back in two times before it will work? Or that you just power it off and on via its power switch twice. If you are unplugging and plugging it in twice that is unusual and I would expect something is wrong with your player or in your environment. Simply power cycling it doesn't cause its OS to reboot, just goes into and out of a standby state.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #463 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Are you saying that you unplug it, wait for awhile, then plug it back in two times before it will work? Or that you just power it off and on via its power switch twice. If you are unplugging and plugging it in twice that is unusual and I would expect something is wrong with your player or in your environment. Simply power cycling it doesn't cause its OS to reboot, just goes into and out of a standby state.
I would unplug it, wait a few mins, and then plug it in again. The home screen comes on, but all buttons are still unresponsive. It requires a second power pull. I've read several posts saying the S6500 and S6700 have this problem with SACD. It's a flaw in the software.
post #464 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
I would unplug it, wait a few mins, and then plug it in again. The home screen comes on, but all buttons are still unresponsive. It requires a second power pull. I've read several posts saying the S6500 and S6700 have this problem with SACD. It's a flaw in the software.
Does it always work on the second try? That suggests to me that there is something being saved in its non-volatile memory that causes it to fail on the first power cycle but is cleared on the second. Definitely sounds like a probable software bug.

Well, I can safely say that I've not experienced any issues with playing SACDs on my X800M2 players. In fact playing SACDs and streaming multichannel FLAC & DSD files is what I mainly use them for. I usually play Blu-ray discs on my Panasonic UB9000.

post #465 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Does it always work on the second try? That suggests to me that there is something being saved in its non-volatile memory that causes it to fail on the first power cycle but is cleared on the second. Definitely sounds like a probable software bug.

Well, I can safely say that I've not experienced any issues with playing SACDs on my X800M2 players. In fact playing SACDs and streaming multichannel FLAC & DSD files is what I mainly use them for. I usually play Blu-ray discs on my Panasonic UB9000.
It doesn't always require a second power pull to become responsive again, but when it does, it seems to work every time.
post #466 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Blade Runner 2049 doesn't have DV.
aaronwt likes this.
post #467 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 573
That's it, I'm done with this player.
The fact that it offers inferior Dolby Digital and not DD+ sound on Netflix bugged me from the start.
Now for the last 2 days it won't log into Netflix or gives me trouble over my password etc? I have 2 other app devices connected that work perfectly. Then it has frozen solid twice in 2 days so I had to crawl around on the floor to unplug and replug it to unfreeze.
I just pulled it out and plugged my Samsung K8500 back in. Netflix works perfect and I have DD+ sound again.
I only bought this to get SACD and DVD-A multich disc playback, I'll save the money and grab a $50 used Sony off ebay for that.
I'm really disappointed, I've always been a big Sony fan but this player isn't up to snuff for them.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #468 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 01:39 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9218 Post(s)
Liked: 5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
That's it, I'm done with this player.
The fact that it offers inferior Dolby Digital and not DD+ sound on Netflix bugged me from the start.
Now for the last 2 days it won't log into Netflix or gives me trouble over my password etc? I have 2 other app devices connected that work perfectly. Then it has frozen solid twice in 2 days so I had to crawl around on the floor to unplug and replug it to unfreeze.
I just pulled it out and plugged my Samsung K8500 back in. Netflix works perfect and I have DD+ sound again.
I only bought this to get SACD and DVD-A multich disc playback, I'll save the money and grab a $50 used Sony off ebay for that.
I'm really disappointed, I've always been a big Sony fan but this player isn't up to snuff for them.
DD from Netflix should not be one of the reasons to dump the player. The lower bitrate DD+ is output as 640Kbps DD from the SOny players. So the audio quality will sound identical.

The issue with DD is that you would never be able to get Atmos(if it were ever implemented on more devices). And that it is also limited to 5.1.

No idea though why Sony continues to take the DD+ from Netflix and convert it to DD for output on their UHD BD players. SInce it will output DD+ just fine from other apps.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #469 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I love this player. The only annoyance is that I have to activate Dolby vision for certain disc's but it plays everything that I have thrown at it and is super quiet. I find it strange that someone would buy a disc player and stream with it, when imo it should have zero apps to begin with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #470 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSilent22xX View Post
I love this player. The only annoyance is that I have to activate Dolby vision for certain disc's but it plays everything that I have thrown at it and is super quiet. I find it strange that someone would buy a disc player and stream with it, when imo it should have zero apps to begin with.

Each to their own. I much prefer steaming from an outside device than my TV's built in one, they screw up the whole TV. Why can't Sony seem to get these things right?

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #471 of 480 Old 09-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Each to their own. I much prefer steaming from an outside device than my TV's built in one, they screw up the whole TV. Why can't Sony seem to get these things right?
I guess I'm lucky with the LG C8, I much prefer it's apps than my PlayStation or Chromecast, my oldest tv is a Sony x850b and the apps do suck so I use a $30 Roku.

post #472 of 480 Old 09-09-2019, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello. Does anyone else have issues trying to use the SideView app. It can’t see my player nor can I use the actual up address to use the iOS app.

Allowing the SideView app to access the player is check marked as yes in the x800m2 options.

I am quite network knowledgeable. It just won’t work. Would bring in Canada matter as I can’t grt amazon prime either (thanks Sony).

Just wondering if anyone else has that issue.
post #473 of 480 Old 09-10-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree with you. My TVs only function as monitors. And I can't use ARC as CEC messes up my systems with bogus control operations. My Rokus work fine for streaming video.
Sal1950 likes this.

post #474 of 480 Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Can this player output audio over both hdmi at the same time, and if so, are both bitstream?
post #475 of 480 Old 09-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Plaing back an MKV Blu-Ray rip via USB for the first time. The file audio showing on screen as MLP 7.1ch 48kHz (up to at least 5Mbps), but the HDMI output displays as LPCM 7.1ch 48kHz. I am used to my old X700 bitstreaming DTHD or DTSHD, so I am wondering what quality I am getting or if the X800M2 is decoding and I am getting the same high def audio as normal bitstreaming?

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #476 of 480 Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 111
This Sony never advertises itself as THE streamer for your home theater. If you want a streamer, which is your business of course, get a streamer. Apple TV 4K, ROKU, etc., and stream away.
aaronwt and XxSilent22xX like this.
post #477 of 480 Old 09-16-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Plaing back an MKV Blu-Ray rip via USB for the first time. The file audio showing on screen as MLP 7.1ch 48kHz (up to at least 5Mbps), but the HDMI output displays as LPCM 7.1ch 48kHz. I am used to my old X700 bitstreaming DTHD or DTSHD, so I am wondering what quality I am getting or if the X800M2 is decoding and I am getting the same high def audio as normal bitstreaming?
Looks like your 800M2 is not outputting bitstream for some reason.
On the latter question - is there a reason to believe that UBP's internal decoder is somehow worse, than that inside AVR? All audio will end up as PCM anyway, so there is no principal difference if it is decoded before or after HDMI cable. In case of Dolby decoder, I would bet that the code base (libraries) are provided by them and that no vendor reinvents them on their own. DTS ought to work same way.
post #478 of 480 Old 09-19-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does the Sony UBP-X800M2 have the Vudu app?
post #479 of 480 Old 09-19-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3000 View Post
Does the Sony UBP-X800M2 have the Vudu app?
I have a feeling that your PCFan from the blu-ray.com forums. I know one of the reasons why you want to switch the from iTunes to physical media. You probably had the movies "Red" and "Source Code" removed from your account like many others accounts. Its only temporary.

You must have at least over 1500 iTune movies in your collection and its too late for you to return back to physical media (I got that number from the blu-ray.com forums and agree with Vor4 (who is always on your case) and others on that forum as well). You admitted that you have a 40 inch or 42 inch FHD Sony TV. The Sony X800M2 would be a waste of money for you. It has average conversion at converting 4k HDR to SDR.

The X800M2 does not have Vudu. It still has some of the issues that plagued the Sony X series line of 4k players from the past. For a streaming device it is not as good as dedicated streamer. Just stick with your Apple TV.
post #480 of 480 Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just gave up on this player tonight.

The last 4 discs I have played have frozen at one point or another. Aquaman, John Wick 3, Schindler's List, and tonight Alien. John Wick and Aquaman were Redbox rentals and I didn't find a slight fingerprint on both discs near the outer edge when troubleshooting the freeze. But they were really minor and should not have caused issues. Alien and Schindler's List are mine and are pristine. It's the player. It's no coincidence that this seems to be a common complaint both here and with the x700.

It's too bad. I like the fact that I can disable upscaling for blu rays and let my C8 handle it. And it also seems to be immune to the Dolby Vision raised blacks bug that has been driving me crazy. Still, if you can't consistently play a disc without freezing, you fail at your basic function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page