OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 143Likes

post #571 of 579 Old 11-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipcsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
Is anyone using this player with the Amazon basics hdmi cable ?

I’️ve order both and are in transit.
Making sure it works with Dolby Vision and enhanced imax ?
I was using the amazon basics cable and it was having a handshake issue or something, screen kept going blank. I replaced it with a monster cable (one of the $4 ones from Dollarama, lol) and it's been fine so far. I actually requested a return on that amazon cable as i think it's defective, they refunded me and told me to toss the cable. I had another cable which was a freebie Telus supplied HDMI that was giving me static on the screen, so I dumped that one too before the amazon one. All cables worked with Dolby Vision. Enchanced IMAX I don't know much about, but i think it's just a buzzword rather than any sort of legitimate feature.
I went ahead and ordered 10ft amazon cables and they’ve been working out great.

Think before you speak....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 579 Old 11-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipcsey View Post
Quote:
I’️m about to buy this player to pair up with my 75 inch 950G, but after reading all the posts about playback issues, I’️m now questioning my decision. Simply for 4K discs, no streaming.

Any other player I should consider or should I go ahead and buy it ?
If you want to spend an extra $200 then consider the Panasonic 820. My friend bought it and is really happy with it. If you're playing 4k files off a usb then the Sony is better as it supports lossless tracks (DTSX and ATMOS), where the Panasonic I hear does not. That being said I'm happy with the X800M2, I think the video quality is outstanding, no issues with disc playback except for one time Saving Private Ryan froze, but after a hard restart it was fine, didn't happen again.
I bought the Panasonic UB820. I didn’t want to be guessing which discs are DV and turning on and off DV in the player either.

In addition ....the hdr controls and optimizer on the Panasonic are great.

Thanks.

post #573 of 579 Old 11-07-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6062
I just leave mine in Auto 1, but I have a Sony OLED too.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 579 Old 11-09-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I bought the Panasonic UB820. I didn’t want to be guessing which discs are DV and turning on and off DV in the player either.

Thanks.
I too was going back and forth as to which player to buy. In the end I got the Sony to go with my 75" 950g and I am very pleased. By the way I leave dolby vision on all the time and it works well with this tv as it has both dark and bright room settings. I do not know if this is the right thing to do, but I did compare it to toggling DV on and off with a normal non HDR/DV bluray and I preferred the DV set to on. Now I am wondering what Bravia vision is?
By the way aside from the advanced HDR adjustment factors and audio outs I do not see the upgrade to the Panasonic worth it. You cannot even utilize HDR10+ with a Sony 950g as the main display.
post #575 of 579 Old 11-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
I too was going back and forth as to which player to buy. In the end I got the Sony to go with my 75" 950g and I am very pleased. By the way I leave dolby vision on all the time and it works well with this tv as it has both dark and bright room settings. I do not know if this is the right thing to do, but I did compare it to toggling DV on and off with a normal non HDR/DV bluray and I preferred the DV set to on. Now I am wondering what Bravia vision is?
By the way aside from the advanced HDR adjustment factors and audio outs I do not see the upgrade to the Panasonic worth it. You cannot even utilize HDR10+ with a Sony 950g as the main display.
We both have the same TV. I can tell you with 100% certainty that even set with DV bright it’s darker then regular HDR.

In regards to HDR10+ it could be possible thru a firmware upgrade to the TV.

I don’t think leaving the unit 100% of the times on DV is the right thing to do.

But it’s all about personal preference. I’m sure the Sony looks just as good as the Panasonic.

post #576 of 579 Old 11-10-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
We both have the same TV. I can tell you with 100% certainty that even set with DV bright it’s darker then regular HDR.

In regards to HDR10+ it could be possible thru a firmware upgrade to the TV.

I don’t think leaving the unit 100% of the times on DV is the right thing to do.

But it’s all about personal preference. I’m sure the Sony looks just as good as the Panasonic.
I have now experimented with all the different media types that I have on the Sony 800M2.
So far the DV toggle on produces all similar results when playing standard DVD's and 4K HDR discs and an improvement when viewing DV encoded discs. However, when watching a standard bluray it is better to leave the DV toggle off as it produces more pop in that mode. Or it can be simply left off with all material other than DV encoded discs.
The Sony has basically 3 modes; DV, "Bravia Mode", and standard. It appears that standard is no different than Bravia Mode. With standard the picture can be adjusted by the player where no adjustments are possible in the other 2 modes.

I compared these settings by taking pictures of each paused on the same scene. I don't know if that is the best way to compare, but it is much more reliable than depending on my memory of what I saw.
Yankees24 likes this.
post #577 of 579 Old 11-12-2019, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I have a 55 inch Sony x930D and I got the x800M2 a few days ago. Is it recommened to enable Bravia mode in x800M2?
Has this question been answered? I just bought a 65x900F to go with this player.

Sony XBR65X900F, Sony X800M2, Dish Hopper 3
post #578 of 579 Old 11-13-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfoien View Post
Has this question been answered? I just bought a 65x900F to go with this player.
I have tried the Bravia mode, but frankly speaking - I do not get the point. I see no benefit. Except that Dolby Vision will be turned off (and 3D on, consequently).
All other picture and HDMI settings I have on auto and it works out exactly the same. Unless I am badly overlooking something.
bjfoien likes this.
post #579 of 579 Old Today, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Picked this Bad Boy up last week. Replacing the -X700 ( died after a few years of use ). Build quality is much better!

Making my way through the 20 pages..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page