OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 150Likes

post #571 of 622 Old 11-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipcsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
Is anyone using this player with the Amazon basics hdmi cable ?

I’️ve order both and are in transit.
Making sure it works with Dolby Vision and enhanced imax ?
I was using the amazon basics cable and it was having a handshake issue or something, screen kept going blank. I replaced it with a monster cable (one of the $4 ones from Dollarama, lol) and it's been fine so far. I actually requested a return on that amazon cable as i think it's defective, they refunded me and told me to toss the cable. I had another cable which was a freebie Telus supplied HDMI that was giving me static on the screen, so I dumped that one too before the amazon one. All cables worked with Dolby Vision. Enchanced IMAX I don't know much about, but i think it's just a buzzword rather than any sort of legitimate feature.
I went ahead and ordered 10ft amazon cables and they’ve been working out great.

Think before you speak....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 622 Old 11-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipcsey View Post
Quote:
I’️m about to buy this player to pair up with my 75 inch 950G, but after reading all the posts about playback issues, I’️m now questioning my decision. Simply for 4K discs, no streaming.

Any other player I should consider or should I go ahead and buy it ?
If you want to spend an extra $200 then consider the Panasonic 820. My friend bought it and is really happy with it. If you're playing 4k files off a usb then the Sony is better as it supports lossless tracks (DTSX and ATMOS), where the Panasonic I hear does not. That being said I'm happy with the X800M2, I think the video quality is outstanding, no issues with disc playback except for one time Saving Private Ryan froze, but after a hard restart it was fine, didn't happen again.
I bought the Panasonic UB820. I didn’t want to be guessing which discs are DV and turning on and off DV in the player either.

In addition ....the hdr controls and optimizer on the Panasonic are great.

Thanks.

post #573 of 622 Old 11-07-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6065
I just leave mine in Auto 1, but I have a Sony OLED too.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 622 Old 11-09-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I bought the Panasonic UB820. I didn’t want to be guessing which discs are DV and turning on and off DV in the player either.

Thanks.
I too was going back and forth as to which player to buy. In the end I got the Sony to go with my 75" 950g and I am very pleased. By the way I leave dolby vision on all the time and it works well with this tv as it has both dark and bright room settings. I do not know if this is the right thing to do, but I did compare it to toggling DV on and off with a normal non HDR/DV bluray and I preferred the DV set to on. Now I am wondering what Bravia vision is?
By the way aside from the advanced HDR adjustment factors and audio outs I do not see the upgrade to the Panasonic worth it. You cannot even utilize HDR10+ with a Sony 950g as the main display.
post #575 of 622 Old 11-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
I too was going back and forth as to which player to buy. In the end I got the Sony to go with my 75" 950g and I am very pleased. By the way I leave dolby vision on all the time and it works well with this tv as it has both dark and bright room settings. I do not know if this is the right thing to do, but I did compare it to toggling DV on and off with a normal non HDR/DV bluray and I preferred the DV set to on. Now I am wondering what Bravia vision is?
By the way aside from the advanced HDR adjustment factors and audio outs I do not see the upgrade to the Panasonic worth it. You cannot even utilize HDR10+ with a Sony 950g as the main display.
We both have the same TV. I can tell you with 100% certainty that even set with DV bright it’s darker then regular HDR.

In regards to HDR10+ it could be possible thru a firmware upgrade to the TV.

I don’t think leaving the unit 100% of the times on DV is the right thing to do.

But it’s all about personal preference. I’m sure the Sony looks just as good as the Panasonic.

post #576 of 622 Old 11-10-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
We both have the same TV. I can tell you with 100% certainty that even set with DV bright it’s darker then regular HDR.

In regards to HDR10+ it could be possible thru a firmware upgrade to the TV.

I don’t think leaving the unit 100% of the times on DV is the right thing to do.

But it’s all about personal preference. I’m sure the Sony looks just as good as the Panasonic.
I have now experimented with all the different media types that I have on the Sony 800M2.
So far the DV toggle on produces all similar results when playing standard DVD's and 4K HDR discs and an improvement when viewing DV encoded discs. However, when watching a standard bluray it is better to leave the DV toggle off as it produces more pop in that mode. Or it can be simply left off with all material other than DV encoded discs.
The Sony has basically 3 modes; DV, "Bravia Mode", and standard. It appears that standard is no different than Bravia Mode. With standard the picture can be adjusted by the player where no adjustments are possible in the other 2 modes.

I compared these settings by taking pictures of each paused on the same scene. I don't know if that is the best way to compare, but it is much more reliable than depending on my memory of what I saw.
Yankees24 likes this.
post #577 of 622 Old 11-12-2019, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I have a 55 inch Sony x930D and I got the x800M2 a few days ago. Is it recommened to enable Bravia mode in x800M2?
Has this question been answered? I just bought a 65x900F to go with this player.

Sony XBR65X900F, Sony X800M2, Dish Hopper 3
post #578 of 622 Old 11-13-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfoien View Post
Has this question been answered? I just bought a 65x900F to go with this player.
I have tried the Bravia mode, but frankly speaking - I do not get the point. I see no benefit. Except that Dolby Vision will be turned off (and 3D on, consequently).
All other picture and HDMI settings I have on auto and it works out exactly the same. Unless I am badly overlooking something.
bjfoien likes this.
post #579 of 622 Old 11-18-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Picked this Bad Boy up last week. Replacing the -X700 ( died after a few years of use ). Build quality is much better!

Making my way through the 20 pages..
Bytehoven likes this.
post #580 of 622 Old 11-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Stupid question time, to toggle DV on or off, how can we tell its a dolby vision enhanced disc?
post #581 of 622 Old 11-18-2019, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
Stupid question time, to toggle DV on or off, how can we tell its a dolby vision enhanced disc?

Nothing easy from the disc in the player. My default is to get a magnifying glass and search the back of the case for a Dolby Vision logo, or look on https://www.nextgenhometheater.com/d...lu-ray-movies/
aaronwt likes this.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite
post #582 of 622 Old 11-18-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post
Picked this Bad Boy up last week. Replacing the -X700 ( died after a few years of use ). Build quality is much better!

Making my way through the 20 pages..
...then enjoy the holidays.

tonydeluce likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #583 of 622 Old 11-18-2019, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
Nothing easy from the disc in the player. My default is to get a magnifying glass and search the back of the case for a Dolby Vision logo, or look on https://www.nextgenhometheater.com/d...lu-ray-movies/
Thanks, does this (toggle the DV) also apply to regular blu rays as well?

Last edited by erick granato; 11-18-2019 at 07:21 PM.
post #584 of 622 Old 11-18-2019, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The playback HUD will tell explicitly, if the stream from disc has Dolby Vision or not. But only, if DV layer is being read and processed (ie. DV switch is ON).
post #585 of 622 Old 11-19-2019, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

I have had this player for a few months, upgraded from the original x800 and, much to my surprise, I didn't know about this toggle DV issue. I have read a few post on this thread, but couldn't find exactly what is the harm in playing the regular HDR10 disc with the DV enabled? Is there a colourspace issue? Would you have to re calibrate the display? Sorry for being so late to the dance. If I had known this, I would have bought something else. Tarnishes an otherwise brilliant machine.
post #586 of 622 Old 11-19-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks, does this (toggle the DV) also apply to regular blu rays as well?
Only if you've forgotten to turn DV off after you last watched a DV movie. It remembers the last state.

Quite often I'm reminded about it being on because a DV logo pops up on the TV to say it's detected a DV feed coming through - if DV is on on the player, it tells the TV it's sending a DV feed even if the source isn't actually DV. Frustrating and a source of rolled eyes from others in the room as you go back through a few menus to turn it off, but not the end of the world.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite
post #587 of 622 Old 11-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I have had this player for a few months, upgraded from the original x800 and, much to my surprise, I didn't know about this toggle DV issue. I have read a few post on this thread, but couldn't find exactly what is the harm in playing the regular HDR10 disc with the DV enabled? Is there a colourspace issue? Would you have to re calibrate the display? Sorry for being so late to the dance. If I had known this, I would have bought something else. Tarnishes an otherwise brilliant machine.
In my case the TV switches to a DV profile which seems to be slightly darker with standard HDR10 material. So it all comes down to the profile the TV uses, my experience has been it's better to turn DV off for non DV content.
But if you've not been aware of it, you've probably never turned DV on, so won't it have had any impact on non-DV content.

post #588 of 622 Old 11-19-2019, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Only if you've forgotten to turn DV off after you last watched a DV movie. It remembers the last state.

Quite often I'm reminded about it being on because a DV logo pops up on the TV to say it's detected a DV feed coming through - if DV is on on the player, it tells the TV it's sending a DV feed even if the source isn't actually DV. Frustrating and a source of rolled eyes from others in the room as you go back through a few menus to turn it off, but not the end of the world.
Thanks, i do see that pop up on screen. But I am still not sure what the effect is, perhaps somebody can chime in? Is it wrong colour space, brightness, contrast etc need to be adjusted?
post #589 of 622 Old 11-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In my case the TV switches to a DV profile which seems to be slightly darker with standard HDR10 material. So it all comes down to the profile the TV uses, my experience has been it's better to turn DV off for non DV content.
But if you've not been aware of it, you've probably never turned DV on, so won't it have had any impact on non-DV content.
Got it, thanks! Seems like a rudimentary thing to include, to flag what the incoming signal is and apply the correct algorithms? Maybe it's my OCD talking, but it Blows! Blownado!
post #590 of 622 Old 11-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I must replace my Sony UBP-X800 with another player because the Ethernet jack in the unit has failed. I had bought an extended warranty for it, and Best Buy chose to have the unit swapped out. So I have $150 plus to throw at a replacement. I have come to this thread with confusion that I'm sure you folks can help me resolve. I'm more than a bit of a penny pincher, so I'm waiting for Black Friday to jump at anything. I am looking at the Sony's X700 and X800-M2. (I'm open to considering others.) The X800-M2 is about 100 bucks more than the X700, and I'm having some trouble justifying the price difference. The build of the M2 is supposed to be much better (stronger). It allows for Bluetooth directly, and that is of some value to me. I presently use a Jay Bird transmitter to feed my headphones The M2 has fewer apps than either the X700 or the unit that I am replacing - not that important since my Panasonic TV and Denon AVR are connected to my Media Center Computer that gives me all the connections and apps I want.

I have an Orb Audio 5.1 speaker system with their Uber 12 subwoofer connected to my receiver (non-Atmos), so the claims for improved sound production from the M2 might be worth considering, but it isn't clear to me from what I've read that the M2's sound contribution will be any better than that of their X700. I can appreciate the heavier build of the M2, but once either unit goes into a cabinet, it won't get rough handling until it dies, so I'm not sure that feature makes the M2 of more value to me than the X700.

Might anyone reading this have recommendations for me?
post #591 of 622 Old 11-19-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_trilogy View Post
I must replace my Sony UBP-X800 with another player because the Ethernet jack in the unit has failed. I had bought an extended warranty for it, and Best Buy chose to have the unit swapped out. ....

Might anyone reading this have recommendations for me?

In most ways the X700 and X800M2 are similar, with the exception of the build quality of the X800M2 being better and it being full width (and others have said it's quieter). The X800M2 also plays DVD-Audio which the X700 doesn't, both play SACD.

post #592 of 622 Old 11-20-2019, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In most ways the X700 and X800M2 are similar, with the exception of the build quality of the X800M2 being better and it being full width (and others have said it's quieter). The X800M2 also plays DVD-Audio which the X700 doesn't, both play SACD.
On top of it, it has 5GHz wifi, Bluetooth and the stream info HUD is more informative in that it shows detail about both incoming and outgoing signal.
aaronwt likes this.
post #593 of 622 Old 11-20-2019, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Just a quick question, can I plug my apple Ipad 4 directly in the usb slot in the front with a lightning to usb cable and play itunes, spotify etc without an external dac?
post #594 of 622 Old 11-20-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I recently returned the Panasonic UB820 due to that it had a loud fan noise and the 4k drive was noisy as well. It was the third unit that I tried out. The first one couldn’t read 4k discs, the second unit made the unit not function with a few 4k discs. I’m thinking about buying the X800M2 on Black Friday. Since my Sony 55X930D does not have Dolby Vision, I’m not worried about the non auto Dolby Vision switch. Is the X800M2 more reliable in disc playback than the past lineups (X700, X800)? Is the X800M2 overall quiet? Did anyone switched from the Panasonic UB820 to the Sony X800M2?
post #595 of 622 Old 11-21-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
I recently returned the Panasonic UB820 due to that it had a loud fan noise and the 4k drive was noisy as well. It was the third unit that I tried out. The first one couldn’t read 4k discs, the second unit made the unit not function with a few 4k discs. I’m thinking about buying the X800M2 on Black Friday. Since my Sony 55X930D does not have Dolby Vision, I’m not worried about the non auto Dolby Vision switch. Is the X800M2 more reliable in disc playback than the past lineups (X700, X800)? Is the X800M2 overall quiet? Did anyone switched from the Panasonic UB820 to the Sony X800M2?
Well, I've been happy with my X800M2s. I use them mostly for SACD, DVD-AUDIO, and multichannel audio streaming, though. I have played some blu-rays with them on a couple of my systems, but I have other players that I generally use in my main system.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #596 of 622 Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just a quick question, can I plug my apple Ipad 4 directly in the usb slot in the front with a lightning to usb cable and play itunes, spotify etc without an external dac?
I don’t believe iPad acts as a USB storage device.
If it did, you could play back media from it. If the obfuscated file- and pathnames don’t bother you.
At least thats how things were in iPod. Would love ro hear things have changed in late iOS versions.
post #597 of 622 Old 11-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
I don’t believe iPad acts as a USB storage device.
If it did, you could play back media from it. If the obfuscated file- and pathnames don’t bother you.
At least thats how things were in iPod. Would love ro hear things have changed in late iOS versions.
Tried it, not supported.
post #598 of 622 Old 11-22-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I have both the X800 and X800M2. They are both quiet. My first X800 used on my main tv had to be returned about a month ago after more than a year of use due to freezing issues with the player turning itself on randomly but nothing would show on the tv. Pressing any keys did nothing so pulling the plug to reset was the only recourse. The other X800 unit in the bedroom which has an older serial number is fine and never has had a problem. The new X800M2 so far has been great playing Blu-rays, DVD's, BD-R's with no issues. I do not use it for any streaming although there are only three apps now. The original X800 has more. I have read about the Panasonic model and considered it but for the extra money, it didn't seem necessary for my setup. I never looked at the 700.

It seems like the Sony reliability aspect depends on the unit you get. I had a previous Sony blu-ray player which also had various freezing issues. My Sony tv has been great with no issues.
post #599 of 622 Old 11-23-2019, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hmm I just picked up the last 800m2 at my BB and there is no free movies. So are there players without free movies because everyone I've seen got free movies. Just trying to make sure I wasn't shafted! To me it looks like there was bigger size tape where the box was taped shut at one time? I'm guessing my luck is just like usual, if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck! lol
post #600 of 622 Old 11-24-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SACD playback: what else do I need?

Silly me, I did not realize that this unit doesn't have analog audio outputs. So, in order to get proper hi-res playback from SACD--we are talking about 2-channel--am I correct in thinking that I need a receiver with HDMI input that can decode the DSD signal? (This unit can also output the SACD over coax digital, but then it is converted to PCM around 48kHz, and so that kind of defeats the purpose of SACD in the first place, no?) So I think I want a receiver that can handle DSD over HDMI, and I am looking at the Denon DRA-800H. [EDIT: in the meantime, I see information that states that the Denon does not have that capability, but that the Onkyo TX-8270 does.] Any thoughts? Thanks!

In the meantime I am not getting rid of my Sony DVP-NS500V.

One further, unrelated thought: am I correct in thinking that the upsampling option (DSEE HX) on this unit goes up to 96kHz but not 192kHz? My DAC registered 192kHz from my old Panasonic player but not on the Sony.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by MDeB; 11-24-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: new information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page