OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 151Likes

post #601 of 630 Old 11-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
p.s. When the DSD is converted by this player to PCM over HDMI, what are the specs on that PCM signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 630 Old 11-25-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeB View Post
p.s. When the DSD is converted by this player to PCM over HDMI, what are the specs on that PCM signal?
I just tested with a multichannel 5.6MHz track and the mulltichannel PCM signal being sent to my CX-A5200 is 176,4kHz (5.1 channels). This likely depends on what your AVR is able to process, though.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #603 of 630 Old 11-27-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Just wondering if there are any undocumented subtitle options on this player, like the Panasonic's. I know from the manual there is a subtitle shift option, like the Panasonic, but wondering if it has subtitle luminance control like the Panasonic (which is undocumented).

Also, does it remember subtitle position you set, like the Oppo, or does it reset every movie like the Panasonic.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 630 Old 11-27-2019, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 102
OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

I just picked this up and I’m trying to create a Harmony activity to switch to it, but I’m running into the following problem.

I have a Sony X930e and an Onkyo receiver. I am using 2 HDMI cables: the video to HDMI2 on the TV (through an HDMI Switch) and the audio to the BD input on the Onkyo.

I set up the Harmony activity to switch to HDMI 2 on the TV and BD on the Onkyo. This happens, the problem is that shortly after I switch the Onkyo to BD, the TV switches to HDMI 3/ARC. I then have to manually switch the TV back to HDMI 2. I can actually trigger this manually as well.

I’ve tried adding delays in the activity, but nothing seems to work because I can’t reorder the order the devices switch their inputs.

I figured I’d try to add a command at the end to switch to HDMI 2, but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

Any ideas here?

Edit:

I turned HDMI Control off which resolved this. That didn’t seem to work anyway since I couldn’t control the X800M2 with my Bravia X930e remote even though the TV showed it was controlling the x800m2. This seems like it should work, but it didn’t.

Well actually it only works sometimes. Sometimes the Onkyo gets set to the ARC return (TV) input. When HDMI Control is off.

Edit 2:

I fiddled with disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cables and got to the point where I can control the X800M2 with the TV remote, but that causes it to switch to the ARC input. Switching the X800M2 audio to the HDMI2 instead of Auto switches to the Onkyo’s BD input, but stops the TV remote control. Basically it seems like the TV and Onkyo are now fighting for control.

Last edited by Morac; 11-27-2019 at 05:22 PM.
post #605 of 630 Old 11-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi Can anyone tell me if this unit has support for Apple TV plus app , Netflix amazon ? As I am considering buying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #606 of 630 Old 11-27-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
I just picked this up and I’m trying to create a Harmony activity to switch to it, but I’m running into the following problem.

I have a Sony X930e and an Onkyo receiver. I am using 2 HDMI cables: the video to HDMI2 on the TV (through an HDMI Switch) and the audio to the BD input on the Onkyo.

I set up the Harmony activity to switch to HDMI 2 on the TV and BD on the Onkyo. This happens, the problem is that shortly after I switch the Onkyo to BD, the TV switches to HDMI 3/ARC. I then have to manually switch the TV back to HDMI 2. I can actually trigger this manually as well.

I’ve tried adding delays in the activity, but nothing seems to work because I can’t reorder the order the devices switch their inputs.

I figured I’d try to add a command at the end to switch to HDMI 2, but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

Any ideas here?

Edit:

I turned HDMI Control off which resolved this. That didn’t seem to work anyway since I couldn’t control the X800M2 with my Bravia X930e remote even though the TV showed it was controlling the x800m2. This seems like it should work, but it didn’t.

Well actually it only works sometimes. Sometimes the Onkyo gets set to the ARC return (TV) input. When HDMI Control is off.

Edit 2:

I fiddled with disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cables and got to the point where I can control the X800M2 with the TV remote, but that causes it to switch to the ARC input. Switching the X800M2 audio to the HDMI2 instead of Auto switches to the Onkyo’s BD input, but stops the TV remote control. Basically it seems like the TV and Onkyo are now fighting for control.
With a Harmony, idiotically enough activity delays are meaningless.

You have to go to the individual devices and set the power options, and add a startup delay for the devices. For example, I want my projector to start first, then AVR, then the player. So I have zero delay on projector, 30 seconds on the AVR, then 60 seconds for the disc players.
post #607 of 630 Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
With a Harmony, idiotically enough activity delays are meaningless.

You have to go to the individual devices and set the power options, and add a startup delay for the devices. For example, I want my projector to start first, then AVR, then the player. So I have zero delay on projector, 30 seconds on the AVR, then 60 seconds for the disc players.

Since this appears to be an issue with switching the AV’s input to the player and not powering on either device, I just gave up and mapped a button on the remote to switch the AV to the correct input. I have to do that one or more times. Alternately I can ask Alexa to run the activity again which also works.

It’s annoying, but I won’t be using the X800M2 often enough to really matter.
post #608 of 630 Old 11-27-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavang View Post
Hi Can anyone tell me if this unit has support for Apple TV plus app , Netflix amazon ? As I am considering buying it
The x800m2 is limited to the streaming apps it comes with and ATV+ and Disney+ are not among them. I'm not aware of any disc player which has those apps.
Brian Hampton likes this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #609 of 630 Old 11-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Highly contemplated purchasing this player but has anyone directly compared to xbox one x and noticed a significant increase in PQ? I have a sony xbr75x940e TV as well. Thanks in advance!
post #610 of 630 Old 11-28-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since this appears to be an issue with switching the AV’s input to the player and not powering on either device, I just gave up and mapped a button on the remote to switch the AV to the correct input. I have to do that one or more times. Alternately I can ask Alexa to run the activity again which also works.

It’s annoying, but I won’t be using the X800M2 often enough to really matter.
Yes, HDMI CEC (RIHD) is a bit of a no no I feel with the harmony. I actually had my elite a year before I started using it. I had a loungeroom setup with an onkyo amp where I had HDMI CEC stup on everything and it was really easy to control with the Onkyo remote. But when I tried the harmony it just didn't coperate, issues like yours, and wrong device starting even. I boxed it up and it just sat there for a year.

Then I setup my new home theater downstairs and all new gear, and have CEC off on everything, and the harmony works fantastically.

Back to an earlier question of mine, can anyone say if there are any undocumented subtitle options like the Panasonic? Eg luminance and position.
post #611 of 630 Old 11-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack31489 View Post
Highly contemplated purchasing this player but has anyone directly compared to xbox one x and noticed a significant increase in PQ? I have a sony xbr75x940e TV as well. Thanks in advance!

Here is one with the Xbox one X

post #612 of 630 Old 12-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Finally pulled the trigger on the recent price drop on the x800m2, and it arrived the other night. i've been too busy to set it up, but hope to by the weekend. do people have any recommended set up procedures and settings? in particular, i'm curious about:

1. what is the latest firmware?
2. since i won't be using this for streaming, after i update the firmware (assuming i need to), i recall people saying there were a couple places that the network access needs to be turned off. i hope to do this to mitigate any potential freezing issues.
3. any other recommended settings that i should be taking notice of besides setting DV off (our Sony TV doesn't support it)?

other information about our set up:
- Sony 900e TV (no Dolby Vision, but HDR10)
- Emotiva processor which will take the Audio only output of the player since it doesn't support 4k pass-through
- this replaces/plays alongside a Oppo 83 BR player (which i will keep around at least for DVD upscaling)

i was surprised to see that we got a unit with the two free movies included. that means either Crutchfield still has a lot of old stock (hence my question about firmware version) or perhaps Sony is adding these movies (Jumanji and Spiderverse) into the latest boxes.

i'm hoping we got a "good one" that doesn't freeze. we'll be only using this for 4k Rentals via redbox and the occasional movie we purchase. (with the freebies, we are up to only 5 UHD discs owned right now)
post #613 of 630 Old 12-04-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
Finally pulled the trigger on the recent price drop on the x800m2, and it arrived the other night. i've been too busy to set it up, but hope to by the weekend. do people have any recommended set up procedures and settings? in particular, i'm curious about:

1. what is the latest firmware?
2. since i won't be using this for streaming, after i update the firmware (assuming i need to), i recall people saying there were a couple places that the network access needs to be turned off. i hope to do this to mitigate any potential freezing issues.
3. any other recommended settings that i should be taking notice of besides setting DV off (our Sony TV doesn't support it)?

other information about our set up:
- Sony 900e TV (no Dolby Vision, but HDR10)
- Emotiva processor which will take the Audio only output of the player since it doesn't support 4k pass-through
- this replaces/plays alongside a Oppo 83 BR player (which i will keep around at least for DVD upscaling)

i was surprised to see that we got a unit with the two free movies included. that means either Crutchfield still has a lot of old stock (hence my question about firmware version) or perhaps Sony is adding these movies (Jumanji and Spiderverse) into the latest boxes.

i'm hoping we got a "good one" that doesn't freeze. we'll be only using this for 4k Rentals via redbox and the occasional movie we purchase. (with the freebies, we are up to only 5 UHD discs owned right now)
Don't worry too much about freezing, you may have won the 4K UHD player lottery.

Some general initial stuff. Connect to your Network, then update firmware. Turn OFF BD Secondary Audio, Quick Start. Everything that has an AUTO choice, choose AUTO.

See how that goes. Good luck, have fun.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #614 of 630 Old 12-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Don't worry too much about freezing, you may have won the 4K UHD player lottery.

Some general initial stuff. Connect to your Network, then update firmware. Turn OFF BD Secondary Audio, Quick Start. Everything that has an AUTO choice, choose AUTO.

If you have an LG OLED tv, turn the HDMI Deep Color Output off! Throws off colors.

Last edited by KAB53; 12-06-2019 at 04:38 AM.
post #615 of 630 Old 12-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

First impressions

Quote:

Thanks for the thoughts. i do hope the freezing is an unlikely scenario.

i powered up the unit last night, it immediately asked to do the firmware update which i allowed it to do via wired Ethernet (i figured it would be easier to disable the network by simply not having a cable plugged in rather than having to strip away all the wifi settings).

BD Secondary Audio was turned off by default, but Quick Start was on.

Any danger in using Quick start other than the power drain that is mentioned on the screen?

Some first impressions:
- Build quality is very good. nothing like my crazy audiophile stuff like my XA777ES SACD player which is a true tank. but definitely a pleasant surprise compared to other sub-200 mass market players.
- remote is tiny but functional and i quickly translated all of the buttons to my very old, but still functioning universal MX-800 remote
- i played around with it for about 2 hours, playing with a few of the only 4k discs we have in our house (we only have 5 right now, even with the two freebies). what was most notable was the sound quality over what we get via our Apple TV4k, even using a HD Fury AVRKey to send audio to our legacy processor. the sounds is more transparent and immersive. i think this is probably the biggest upgrade over 4k streaming. i am pleased with this upgrade as this was the primary driving force in buying this player -- renting 4k discs from Redbox so we could get a better audio experience. we don't have Dolby Atmos on our 7.1 legacy system, but it sounds fabulous. (standard BR sounded much better than 4k streamed material)
- video was a surprising revelation. i expected there to be no noticeable difference without pixel peeping, but as soon as i popped in the first disc (Incredibles 2), i noticed the difference ... colors just seemed richer with more apparent detail. it's not that there was a change in resolution, but it just seemed like a better image. i'm sure it would take a side-by-side comparison to verify that i'm not imagining this, but it just looked "better." (i've only watched it previously on VUDU in 4k since ATV doesn't support Pixar/Disney stuff in 4k) i got the same impression watching some of Black Panther and Aladdin in 4k. they both were richer than what i saw streaming over our 275mbit connection. (unlikely apple or VUDU is using all of this bandwidth)

if i don't see any freezes, i'll say this was a definitely worthwhile purchase, esp at the price during black friday week and with the bonus 2 movies. my wife and i don't watch that many movies, but i hope to give it enough a workout over the next few weeks (i even plan to just play our 5 discs even if i'm not watching to see if it freezes up) prior to my 60 day return window from Crutchfield ends.

thanks for all of your helpful comments/sharing here over the past few months. this forum definitely helped my decision process.
post #616 of 630 Old 12-06-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 2062
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts. i do hope the freezing is an unlikely scenario.

i powered up the unit last night, it immediately asked to do the firmware update which i allowed it to do via wired Ethernet (i figured it would be easier to disable the network by simply not having a cable plugged in rather than having to strip away all the wifi settings).

BD Secondary Audio was turned off by default, but Quick Start was on.

Any danger in using Quick start other than the power drain that is mentioned on the screen?

....thanks for all of your helpful comments/sharing here over the past few months. this forum definitely helped my decision process.
You're welcome, glad some of it's helped.

Some feel (including me) that having your machine on constant alert for Quick Start isn't worth possible downside. It has been associated with player freezing.

Saving power, pennies, seconds, isn't as important to me as not introducing possible conflict to a system. The less a machine has to think, the better. Good luck, have fun.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #617 of 630 Old 12-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You're welcome, glad some of it's helped.

Some feel (including me) that having your machine on constant alert for Quick Start isn't worth possible downside. It has been associated with player freezing.

Saving power, pennies, seconds, isn't as important to me as not introducing possible conflict to a system. The less a machine has to think, the better. Good luck, have fun.
thanks! all good points and i think i'll leave mine off too.
post #618 of 630 Old 12-06-2019, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by housebanana2 View Post
Hello. Does anyone else have issues trying to use the SideView app. It can’️t see my player nor can I use the actual up address to use the iOS app.

Allowing the SideView app to access the player is check marked as yes in the x800m2 options.

I am quite network knowledgeable. It just won’️t work. Would bring in Canada matter as I can’️t grt amazon prime either (thanks Sony).

Just wondering if anyone else has that issue.
Just bought a UBP-X800M2 and have the same problem that Sony TV and Sideview Android App won't connect to the player. All my other Sony older players and newer TV work fine so seems not a LAN network issue. I tried WIFI and Ethernet connections but same issue for both. Factory reset the X800M2, still no fix. I think it is a firmware bug and contacted email support. Disappointed but hoping a fix will come to the firmware or the App later.
post #619 of 630 Old 12-06-2019, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post
Hmm I just picked up the last 800m2 at my BB and there is no free movies. So are there players without free movies because everyone I've seen got free movies. Just trying to make sure I wasn't shafted! To me it looks like there was bigger size tape where the box was taped shut at one time? I'm guessing my luck is just like usual, if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck! lol
Hi. My local BB has been only selling shipments of X800M2 without the 2 bonus movies for months now. The boxes are no longer labeled that way. You were not shafted, just newer stock.

Additionally, I too noticed the wider unlaminated area where the smaller factory tape seal gives the appearance the box could have been opened and re-taped shut. I'm sure this is an illusion. Noticed the factory tape seal had rounded corners, which would not be so for someone putting scotch tape strips onto that box.

Just getting to know my X800M2 now. Mostly pleased, but wish the TV and Sideview remote app would connect to the player. Wizard of Oz is mighty pretty in 4K UHD! I thought the Blu-ray looked good before that!
post #620 of 630 Old 12-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

The X800M2 I picked up for Black Friday already had the latest firmware on it when I tried to update it. That came out 7 months ago. I’m guessing Sony doesn’t release firmware that often.
post #621 of 630 Old 12-06-2019, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerrick View Post
Just bought a UBP-X800M2 and have the same problem that Sony TV and Sideview Android App won't connect to the player. All my other Sony older players and newer TV work fine so seems not a LAN network issue. I tried WIFI and Ethernet connections but same issue for both. Factory reset the X800M2, still no fix. I think it is a firmware bug and contacted email support. Disappointed but hoping a fix will come to the firmware or the App later.

It doesn’t work for me either with the iOS app, but when I run the SideView app, it says it was discontinued.
post #622 of 630 Old 12-07-2019, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
It doesn’t work for me either with the iOS app, but when I run the SideView app, it says it was discontinued.
It's not only that the app is discontinued (apparently still in JP app store). It is also because the app sees Bluetooth receivers only (the audio streaming destinations, like speakers and headphones). X800M2/X1100ES do only act as BT transmitters (signal sources).
It is really funny that the origial X800 appeared there.
post #623 of 630 Old 12-07-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
It's not only that the app is discontinued (apparently still in JP app store). It is also because the app sees Bluetooth receivers only (the audio streaming destinations, like speakers and headphones). X800M2/X1100ES do only act as BT transmitters (signal sources).

It is really funny that the origial X800 appeared there.

Doesn’t the X800M2 support Bluetooth? Anyway the app does seem my x930e TV.
post #624 of 630 Old 12-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Quote:
Doesn’t the X800M2 support Bluetooth? Anyway the app does seem my x930e TV.
On p. 17 in the manual, it mentions bluetooth only for listening to audio such as headphones.
post #625 of 630 Old 12-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks! all good points and i think i'll leave mine off too.
Having quickstart on or off does not seem to make any difference with freezing issues. I have both the X800 and X800M2 models. The M2 replaced one of my X800 units that had freezing issues as it turned itself on randomly with nothing on screen. The other unit has never had an issue and both have quickstart on. I had tried turning it off on the problem unit, turning off the network, etc. but none of that mattered. It's the luck of the draw if you get one that will work with no issues as my old X800 does. So far, the M2 is fine but it is only a couple of months.
post #626 of 630 Old 12-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
The X800M2 I picked up for Black Friday already had the latest firmware on it when I tried to update it. That came out 7 months ago. I’m guessing Sony doesn’t release firmware that often.
This is pretty telling of the state of physical media today. Back in the BD hey days Sony was on top of things releasing firmware updates regularly. Today physical media is an afterthought I guess. Sony 4K players has been battling freezing issues and that dreaded manual DV toggle needs to be fix but Sony seems to be ignoring these issues.
post #627 of 630 Old Today, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
Having quickstart on or off does not seem to make any difference with freezing issues. I have both the X800 and X800M2 models. The M2 replaced one of my X800 units that had freezing issues as it turned itself on randomly with nothing on screen. The other unit has never had an issue and both have quickstart on. I had tried turning it off on the problem unit, turning off the network, etc. but none of that mattered. It's the luck of the draw if you get one that will work with no issues as my old X800 does. So far, the M2 is fine but it is only a couple of months.
thanks for providing some context and some optimism that it is possible to have a unit that performs flawlessly.

i played through most of Aladdin the other night and no freezes. i was surprised and how a "simple animated" film like it could look so profoundly improved of the BR disc. my wife remarked how rich the colors looked.

we have been too busy and not even home. i am hoping if there are evenings when i'm home the next couple of weeks, i'll just play few discs in the background while i'm doing other things to make sure i'm "breezeless" before the 60 day return window is up.
post #628 of 630 Old Today, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
This is pretty telling of the state of physical media today. Back in the BD hey days Sony was on top of things releasing firmware updates regularly. Today physical media is an afterthought I guess. Sony 4K players has been battling freezing issues and that dreaded manual DV toggle needs to be fix but Sony seems to be ignoring these issues.
it makes me wonder if they are going to release a x800m3 or x700m2 this spring that does the DV sensing automatically.
post #629 of 630 Old Today, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
it makes me wonder if they are going to release a x800m3 or x700m2 this spring that does the DV sensing automatically.
Now that would really piss me off
post #630 of 630 Old Today, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
Now that would really piss me off
you and a lot of others. DV isn't an issue for us since our TV doesn't support it, but it's surprising that Sony has worked harder to fix this shortcoming. perhaps i'm naive or innocent, but this doesn't seem like its that hard a coding change if other manufacturers seems to be able to handle discs with more grace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players