OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 180Likes

post #811 of 915 Old 02-21-2020, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
But it's not always an issue with playing optical discs as it can just decide to turn itself on with nothing on the screen and it's frozen with no response from the remote or any buttons. It's like when a computer locks up so pulling the plug is the only method to "restart."
Have not experienced this with any of the 3 players I've owned (X800, then X700, now X1100ES). I have experienced a lockup that has been described at watching the The Dark Knight from the Nolan Set, for example.
And if the problem were in software (like buffers overflowing etc), then it would manifest itself also at decoding and playing the BD rips from USB or LAN. It does not. It can easily play through any of the movies I throw at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 915 Old 02-21-2020, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
After a conversation with Multisystem and the latest firmware, it appears that the data collection "feature" of the firmware update doesn't have an opt-out option. What I do not know is if the U.S. version of the firmware has this data collection "feature." For those of you who have installed the firmware and if you have the ability to monitor traffic from the player, you might want to watch to see if data is being sent out. To make sure that firmware update checking ackets aren't being sent, turn off the firmware checking option.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #813 of 915 Old 02-21-2020, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrea View Post
Hey there, I'm considering either the Sony UPB-X700 or the X800M2. Which one would be best?
I have both. The X800M2 sounds better to me. The 800M2 also supports:
HDR10
HLG(Hybrid Log Gamma)
Dolby Vision
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 915 Old 02-21-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post
The biggest issue I have with the X800M2 and my XBR-55930E appears to be an issue with the TV that I’m not able to really solve easily. I use two HDMI cables because my Onkyo audio receiver doesn’t support 4K/HDR passthrough. I use ARC with my TV.

Any time audio starts playing, such as when I start playing or pause and resume, the TV switches the Onkyo receiver to the ARC input. Presumably it does this because it thinks the audio is being sent over the HDMI connected directly from the X800M2 to the TV, which it isn’t.

I don’t know if that’s an issue with the X800M2 improperly reporting the audio source or the TV, but short of disconnecting the ARC HDMI cable or disabling CEC on the TV and/or receiver I don’t know any fix for this. I just have to keep switching the audio source on my receiver.
I did not have that problem when I had the Onkyo TX-SR875. I had the Sony UBP-X700 video to the 4k TV and the audio to the Onkyo #1 HDMI(BD/DVD) input for sound. The TV ARC to the Onkyo monitor out HDMI input.
In my current set up I have a different 4K TV(TLC 55R625), the Onkyo TX-RZ820 AVR and the Sony UBP-X800M2. Let's start with the TV ARC to the Onkyo ARC HDMI. The 800M2 video to the TV HDMI input #1 (Blu Ray player). The 800M2 HDMI 2 audio to the AVR HDMI input BD/DVD(#1 ).
That's it; again I am not having any problems.

Give this a try and good luck.
post #815 of 915 Old 02-22-2020, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
First problem tonight after 3 months of ownership...haven't used the player in about a month after successfully watching 10-12 4k and a couple BR movies in the first two months without any glitches.

today, i rented a 4k movie from Redbox (Terminator: Dark Fate), and when i went to play it, it showed "no disc." the disk looked clean except for a couple of smudges. i washed the disc and tried again...still "no disc." i grabbed another one off my shelf that worked fine previously. same problem.

per the discussion above, i unplugged the unit for a few minutes and plugged it back in and the disc played fine.

any thoughts on this? i don't have it connected to the network and i don't have "quick start" enabled.
post #816 of 915 Old 02-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
First problem tonight after 3 months of ownership...haven't used the player in about a month after successfully watching 10-12 4k and a couple BR movies in the first two months without any glitches.

today, i rented a 4k movie from Redbox (Terminator: Dark Fate), and when i went to play it, it showed "no disc." the disk looked clean except for a couple of smudges. i washed the disc and tried again...still "no disc." i grabbed another one off my shelf that worked fine previously. same problem.

per the discussion above, i unplugged the unit for a few minutes and plugged it back in and the disc played fine.

any thoughts on this? i don't have it connected to the network and i don't have "quick start" enabled.
Like al new electronics, it's not ust wires and circuits, the damn thing boots up an operating system. Like al computer systems, you may get glitches that can be cleared by the old IT addage "Did you try restarting it?"

Paul
Cheddarhead likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #817 of 915 Old 02-22-2020, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Like al new electronics, it's not ust wires and circuits, the damn thing boots up an operating system. Like al computer systems, you may get glitches that can be cleared by the old IT addage "Did you try restarting it?"

Paul

i wonder if there is any way to properly shut it down after powering it off. i wouldn't mind just having it boot up every time i use it since we don't watch movies all that frequently (generally 1 or 2 a month). i played the number of movies i did in the first month just to make sure it didn't freeze up on movies like others had reported on the 800 and some 800m2s.
post #818 of 915 Old 02-23-2020, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have a LG B8. So I'm interested in having Dolby Vision that's why I didn't consider the Pana.
post #819 of 915 Old 02-23-2020, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Choices then you would have to go with the pany ub820. For the Dolby Vision support. I would skip the x700 they are notorious for freeze ups and needing to pull the cord. To reset. I had to send in my x700 in for replacement. So far after a week my 800x2 has been not had any lock up.
post #820 of 915 Old 02-23-2020, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
Choices then you would have to go with the pany ub820. For the Dolby Vision support. I would skip the x700 they are notorious for freeze ups and needing to pull the cord. To reset. I had to send in my x700 in for replacement. So far after a week my 800x2 has been not had any lock up.
I moved up from a FREEZING AFTER 2 hours X700 to an X800M2...I really love the display button where I can see what the output is to the HDMI. :-D

Paul
HD KOOL-AID likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #821 of 915 Old 02-24-2020, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, is there any consensus on ownership with the M2? I got a basically entirely new home theater over the holidays. New LG 65” C9, Denon 4500, and put up 4 nicer quality in-ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS-X for a 5.1.4 total system.

I bought an Xbox One X to supply 4k disc content, but no Dolby Vision obviously and I’m frankly not sure what I’m missing otherwise – sound quality, etc.

Now that the sting of all of that has subsided just a bit I’m thinking about bumping up to a player to match the rest of the system. I’m just a little apprehensive about the $450 for the Panasonic 820. I guess it probably does have the premiere picture quality for the price. I’ve seen reviews say to save your money until you can afford that player before you buy anything else to upgrade from an Xbox.

I’ve seen the inconvenience of the Dolby Vision manual setting, but have these otherwise been fairly solid or what? Is the audio quality on these better than the Panasonics by chance? I guess I’m wondering if there’s an upside to this player besides the $200 savings in price difference or is the value the best feature? I do have a handful of DVD-Audio discs. Audio quality is important to me, but the picture on that LG C9 probably deserves the best possible signal too.

Last edited by Fastfwd; 02-24-2020 at 03:51 PM.
post #822 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
Well, is there any consensus on ownership with the M2? I got a basically entirely new home theater over the holidays. New LG 65” C9, Denon 4500, and put up 4 nicer quality in-ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS-X for a 5.1.4 total system.

I bought an Xbox One X to supply 4k disc content, but no Dolby Vision obviously and I’m frankly not sure what I’m missing otherwise – sound quality, etc.

Now that the sting of all of that has subsided just a bit I’m thinking about bumping up to a player to match the rest of the system. I’m just a little apprehensive about the $450 for the Panasonic 820. I guess it probably does have the premiere picture quality for the price. I’ve seen reviews say to save your money until you can afford that player before you buy anything else to upgrade from an Xbox.

I’ve seen the inconvenience of the Dolby Vision manual setting, but have these otherwise been fairly solid or what? Is the audio quality on these better than the Panasonics by chance? I guess I’m wondering if there’s an upside to this player besides the $200 savings in price difference or is the value the best feature? I do have a handful of DVD-Audio discs. Audio quality is important to me, but the picture on that LG C9 probably deserves the best possible signal too.
For ME, I have the M2 player set to pass thru both the video and audio signals from a disc. The M2 with it’s twin HDMI signal output connections. HDMI 1 video signal output to the TV. HDMI 2 audio signal output to the AVR. This allows ME to choose between HDR or Dolby Vision video signal output Sony M2 to my Sony 85X850G TV to process. The M2 sends a lossless audio signal to my AVR to process. I really appreciate this option with the M2. As my Pioneer Elite AVR does not have the ability to pass thru a Dolby Vision video signal. This allows ME to experience the best audio and video signals currently available from 4K UHD disc’s.

I don’t understand the concerns with having to go into the settings menu of the M2. To turn Dolby Vision on/off. I don’t understand currently how an auto option would properly function. How would the player know automagically if I wanted Dolby Vision for this particular disc. Vs HDR for this particular disc. IMHO, one possible way that an auto option could function. Would be when the disc menu provides an option to select the output as either HDR or Dolby Vision. Similar too currently when you can select an audio output options of various audio quality contained within an individual disc. Like choosing between Dolby or DTS audio. Atmos, Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital, DTS X, DTS Master HD, DTS, etc.

I have owned several models of Sony players thru the years. IMHO, for ME, I wouldn’t purchase anything other than a Sony product. Their upscaling of a DVD is remarkable. I am amazed how good they [email protected]@k. The M2, like the 800 has a substantial chassis and you can immediately recognize this when you pick up the player. It’s NO lightweight.

To ME, I believe it’s more of a personal preference as to which player manufacturer or model YOU choose. ONLY YOU, can make that decision. My advice, Take a M2 for a test drive for a couple weeks.

Good luck......
Bladerunner1959 and jkeldo like this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #823 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Well, got the player and let it update the firmware to M45.R.0052

When I tried to play Dolby Vision discs with Dolby Vision selected in the options and most everything else set to 'Auto' (HDMI Deep Color, YCbCr/RGB, Output Video Resolution, etc.) I'm getting a report in my Denon 4500 receiver that it's seeing 'Dolby Vision' with RGB color space and 8bit pixel depth. That's not 'Dolby Vision.' What's up with that? The same movie without 'Dolby Vision' enabled and the other settings the same will be seen as HD10 - YCbCr 4:2:2, BT 2020, and 12 bit depth.

This is a deal killer for me. I got this primarily because my Xbox One X can't do Dolby Vision with physical media and I hoped it might otherwise boost the image quality to match the LG C9 capability as a display. I wouldn't say it's not better, but the Dolby Vision being jacked up isn't going to fly for me.

Any suggestions on this?
post #824 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:

When I tried to play Dolby Vision discs with Dolby Vision selected in the options and most everything else set to 'Auto' (HDMI Deep Color, YCbCr/RGB, Output Video Resolution, etc.) I'm getting a report in my Denon 4500 receiver that it's seeing 'Dolby Vision' with RGB color space and 8bit pixel depth. That's not 'Dolby Vision.' What's up with that? The same movie without 'Dolby Vision' enabled and the other settings the same will be seen as HD10 - YCbCr 4:2:2, BT 2020, and 12 bit depth.

This is a deal killer for me. I got this primarily because my Xbox One X can't do Dolby Vision with physical media and I hoped it might otherwise boost the image quality to match the LG C9 capability as a display. I wouldn't say it's not better, but the Dolby Vision being jacked up isn't going to fly for me.

Any suggestions on this?
Sir, pardon the questions. What is your TV model number? Is your UBP-X800M2 connected using both HDMI outputs, audio to the Denon and video to your LG 4k TV?
Thanks
post #825 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I’m a new owner of a Sony UDP-800M2. It’s paired with an LG OLEDe6 and a NAD T758 v3. I have the 800M2 video going directly to the TV and separate hdmi2 providing audio to the NAD. Well-made 4k movies like Deadpool look and sound awesome. However, last night I watched a BluRay HD (1080p), Ant Man, and it looked mediocre compared to my previous Samsung 8500 disc player. I tried various settings with limited improvements. Reviewers give Ant Man a 5/5 for video quality.

==> I think I need some recommendations regarding what settings to use on the 800M2 that will optimize the picture for an OLED. 4:4:4 or less, upscaling, resolution on Auto or 4k, etc.

For example, with the Samsung, I let the OLED do all upscaling. I’m uncertain what setting allows that on the 800M2. Or whether the upscaling is superior on the 800M2 and which setting to use.

With the Sony 800M2, the Menu video on Ant Man looked better than the movie itself!

Firmware is fully updated and I’m using Premium Certified HDMI cables.

Thanks!
post #826 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry78 View Post
I’m a new owner of a Sony UDP-800M2. It’s paired with an LG OLEDe6 and a NAD T758 v3. I have the 800M2 video going directly to the TV and separate hdmi2 providing audio to the NAD. Well-made 4k movies like Deadpool look and sound awesome. However, last night I watched a BluRay HD (1080p), Ant Man, and it looked mediocre compared to my previous Samsung 8500 disc player. I tried various settings with limited improvements. Reviewers give Ant Man a 5/5 for video quality.

==> I think I need some recommendations regarding what settings to use on the 800M2 that will optimize the picture for an OLED. 4:4:4 or less, upscaling, resolution on Auto or 4k, etc.

For example, with the Samsung, I let the OLED do all upscaling. I’m uncertain what setting allows that on the 800M2. Or whether the upscaling is superior on the 800M2 and which setting to use.

With the Sony 800M2, the Menu video on Ant Man looked better than the movie itself!

Firmware is fully updated and I’m using Premium Certified HDMI cables.

Thanks!
Did you try selecting the Direct option under Options/Video Settings using the remote while watching the movie? It generally will default to Auto which employs some type of processing. This is found on p. 19 in the manual. As for upscaling, check pp. 21-22 which covers resolution which should be on Auto normally but can be set manually depending on your tv's capabilities.
post #827 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
LG OLED and Sony 800M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
Did you try selecting the Direct option under Options/Video Settings using the remote while watching the movie? It generally will default to Auto which employs some type of processing. This is found on p. 19 in the manual. As for upscaling, check pp. 21-22 which covers resolution which should be on Auto normally but can be set manually depending on your tv's capabilities.
Thanks. I haven’t tried the Direct option on the remote but I’ve tried Auto1 and Auto2 and off. And I've tried Auto and 4k in resolutions settings because my TV is 4k. I read the manual but will reread it since I now have multiple movie experience with the 800M2. And I’ll try Direct mode tonight.

Anyone out there with a LG OLED and a Sony 800M2?
post #828 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
Sir, pardon the questions. What is your TV model number? Is your UBP-X800M2 connected using both HDMI outputs, audio to the Denon and video to your LG 4k TV?
Thanks
OLED65C9AUA it was purchased from Costco during the last Black Friday Sale. LG C9 65"

I'm actually not running it directly to the television. That would be somewhat inconvenient if I needed to do so. I've not yet encountered a scenario of it being required - the Denon 4500 can handle Dolby Vision. It passes from my Xbox One X on all of the available streaming apps already. I have all video processing in the Denon turned off. It should theoretically be passing it untouched, but idk.

I do have current cables from Monoprice purchased over the holidays. Certified Premium High Speed HDMI https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Those cables were cheap, but specify ability to handle HDR, Deep Color, etc.
post #829 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
OLED65C9AUA it was purchased from Costco during the last Black Friday Sale. LG C9 65"

I'm actually not running it directly to the television. That would be somewhat inconvenient if I needed to do so. I've not yet encountered a scenario of it being required - the Denon 4500 can handle Dolby Vision. It passes from my Xbox One X on all of the available streaming apps already. I have all video processing in the Denon turned off. It should theoretically be passing it untouched, but idk.

I do have current cables from Monoprice purchased over the holidays. Certified Premium High Speed HDMI https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Those cables were cheap, but specify ability to handle HDR, Deep Color, etc.
Again, pardon a few more questions. Have you tried connecting the 800M2 directly to the TV and at the same restoring the Denon video settings( although it should not matter in this case)? Then post your findings good, bad or indifferent.
Cables are vegetables, to each his or her own. Your 4K TV IMHO is a HP Corvette! On my 800M2 I use an Audioquest for audio and an Atevon for video. I don't have any problems.
Again thanks

Last edited by Transistorious; 02-25-2020 at 04:10 PM.
post #830 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
Again, pardon a few more questions. Have you tried connecting the 800M2 directly to the TV and at the same restoring the Denon video settings( although it should not matter in this case)? Then post your findings good, bad or indifferent.
Cables are vegetables, to each his or her own. Your 4K TV IMHO is a HP Corvette! On my 800M2 I use an Audioquest for audio and an Atevon for video. I don't have any problems.
Again thanks
I tried connecting it directly to see if there was any obvious difference and the biggest difference is that I don't believe the TV itself can report exactly what signal it is receiving. The TV will report that it is receiving a 'Dolby Vision' signal, but it does that through the receiver too.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time calling what I'm seeing an 8bit RGB picture. Maybe I need a better scene with the proper 'Dolby Vision' contrast to really see. Try the streaming version vs physical media. I've only had the time so far to put a couple Dolby Vision discs in - 2001: A Space Odyssey and Apocalypse Now Final Cut.

It might take a video test disc to really see with my eyes definitively. I have to believe the Denon receiver knows what it sees. The X800M2 itself reports the input media correctly with BT 2020? color space, correct bit depth, etc. and the output is simply declared to be 'Dolby Vision' without specifics as to bit depth and color space.

The sound somehow does seem just a bit better than with the Xbox One X and I watched several HDR10 discs that looked a bit sharper, better picture, etc. The 'Dolby Vision' has to work though or I can't justify keeping it.
post #831 of 915 Old 02-25-2020, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Can I check
I have a MK 1 X800 and a X700. Is it of any benefit to get this to replace my MK 1 X800?
Thanks
post #832 of 915 Old 02-26-2020, 01:59 AM

Liked: 9
Send a message via AIM to Fredstwofeet
Quote:

FWIW I bought the Pana 820 to go with my JVC pj. I was not impressed with either performance or build quality. I much preferred my 4 year old Oppo 103. Last week I decided to give the Sony a try and imo much better all around.
post #833 of 915 Old 02-26-2020, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredstwofeet View Post
FWIW I bought the Pana 820 to go with my JVC pj. I was not impressed with either performance or build quality. I much preferred my 4 year old Oppo 103. Last week I decided to give the Sony a try and imo much better all around.
I too bought a Panasonic 820 to use with my JVC projector. I then replaced it with a UB9000, and then JVC released their DTM firmware update and it now seems that I could have done without both of the Panasonics. The 820 worked ok for me, though its build quality wouldn't win any medals, the X800M2 certainly is better in that regard. I also own 3 Oppo 203s and 3 of the Sony X800M2s (in my three main AV systems). The fact that the Sony and Oppo players are universal players is important to me as I have a library of SACDs the I often listen to. I also like to stream multichannel audio tracks via my local DLNA server and I find the Sony X800M2 to be the best for doing that (as far as I know, the Panasonics can't stream audio at all).

I most often use the UB9000 to watch UHD Blu-rays on my projector though I find that I use an X800M2 mostly for that on my other systems (I only have one UB9000 as they are quite pricey and the Sonys work fine).

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #834 of 915 Old 02-26-2020, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Any suggestions on this?
You didn’t mention in your post above.

Have you enabled the “Enhanced” HDMI inputs on both your Denon AVR and your TV HDMI inputs. Most devices default at the “Standard” HDMI input setting.

Not familiar with your AVR model or your TV. [email protected]@k in your owners manual or the owners thread on AVS. You might get lucky and someone will be along soon with how to do that.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #835 of 915 Old 02-26-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post

Have you enabled the “Enhanced” HDMI inputs on both your Denon AVR and your TV HDMI inputs. Most devices default at the “Standard” HDMI input setting.

Not familiar with your AVR model or your TV. [email protected]@k in your owners manual or the owners thread on AVS. You might get lucky and someone will be along soon with how to do that.
I appreciate everyone's responses. I doubled checked for what might be related to what you have suggested. I believe with the Denon it either has 'Enhanced' for 4K signal format (Deep Color) or normal for all inputs if I'm not mistaken. It's set to 'Enhanced' for this input (and all others in use) at any rate. I did initially not realize that I didn't have it set to 'Enhanced' when I first setup the Denon when I first got it, however.

I am a little suspicious that the Sony itself doesn't give specifics when it outputs 'Dolby Vision' and you ask it to display the technical specs. I'll try to post photos of what I'm saying.

I'm going to try to call Sony product support and see if that gets me anywhere, but my guess is that it probably won't. I hate to say this, but it might imply that whatever issue there is it was attempted to be covered up by not displaying the technical specifics like it does for standard HDR10 as seen below.

20200226_143528 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr

20200226_143606 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr
20200226_143843 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr
20200226_143919 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr
post #836 of 915 Old 02-26-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's responses. I doubled checked for what might be related to what you have suggested. I believe with the Denon it either has 'Enhanced' for 4K signal format (Deep Color) or normal for all inputs if I'm not mistaken. It's set to 'Enhanced' for this input (and all others in use) at any rate. I did initially not realize that I didn't have it set to 'Enhanced' when I first setup the Denon when I first got it, however.

I am a little suspicious that the Sony itself doesn't give specifics when it outputs 'Dolby Vision' and you ask it to display the technical specs. I'll try to post photos of what I'm saying.

I'm going to try to call Sony product support and see if that gets me anywhere, but my guess is that it probably won't. I hate to say this, but it might imply that whatever issue there is it was attempted to be covered up by not displaying the technical specifics like it does for standard HDR10 as seen below.

20200226_143528 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr

20200226_143606 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr
20200226_143843 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr
20200226_143919 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr
This morning as I was enjoying my breakfast and began digging thru my cereal box of Lucky Charms. Unlucky for YOU. As it did NOT include the current version of a decoder/decipher ring or a crystal ball.

Reading from your post above. I am unclear if you set the HDMI inputs for your TV and AVR to “Enhanced.”

Pressing the “display button on the M2 remote will display both input and output video and audio signals.

It may be helpful if you provide the title of the 4K UHD Dolby Vision disc that you are experiencing this with. Also it would be helpful if you would take the time to answer the questions or suggestions of the poster’s trying to help you.

Good luck.

post #837 of 915 Old 02-26-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:
This morning as I was enjoying my breakfast and began digging thru my cereal box of Lucky Charms. Unlucky for YOU. As it did NOT include the current version of a decoder/decipher ring or a crystal ball.

Reading from your post above. I am unclear if you set the HDMI inputs for your TV and AVR to “Enhanced.”

Pressing the “display button on the M2 remote will display both input and output video and audio signals.

It may be helpful if you provide the title of the 4K UHD Dolby Vision disc that you are experiencing this with. Also it would be helpful if you would take the time to answer the questions or suggestions of the poster’s trying to help you.

Good luck.
I did answer. Yes, the Denon is set for 'Enhanced' HDMI for the input of the Bluray input (and all others in use). I'm doing this correctly. Trust me. I've had a few months with the new Denon receiver and television and I've watched a ton of content already.

The disc used in this example is: Apocalypse Now Final Cut

I've also checked with 2001: A Space Odyssey

These are two really top notch 4k discs. If it can't play these correctly then that's a deal breaker for me too. I understand there may be an obscure disc here or there, but these are top notch discs that were transferred from film to 4k with tremendous care.

I called Sony product support and they basically passed the buck to Denon claiming that it must be on the end of the receiver to not accept the input signal. That's just not true as far as I'm aware. I would have seen reports of that sort of issue with the Denon before now.
post #838 of 915 Old 02-26-2020, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did answer. Yes, the Denon is set for 'Enhanced' HDMI for the input of the Bluray input (and all others in use). I'm doing this correctly. Trust me. I've had a few months with the new Denon receiver and television and I've watched a ton of content already.

The disc used in this example is: Apocalypse Now Final Cut

I've also checked with 2001: A Space Odyssey

These are two really top notch 4k discs. If it can't play these correctly then that's a deal breaker for me too. I understand there may be an obscure disc here or there, but these are top notch discs that were transferred from film to 4k with tremendous care.

I called Sony product support and they basically passed the buck to Denon claiming that it must be on the end of the receiver to not accept the input signal. That's just not true as far as I'm aware. I would have seen reports of that sort of issue with the Denon before now.
Ok, good the AVR input for the M2 is set to enhanced. How about the TV input?.

I have the 4K UHD disc of Apocalypse Now Final Cut. I don’t have time tonight. But tomorrow night I will put the 4K disc in and turn on Dolby Vision to observe what the input and output video signal is displayed by the M2 in comparison to your results.

Please post in detail what your M2 is displaying for the input and output video of the M2 with the 4K UHD disc of Apocalypse Now Final Cut.

Also include what your AVR is displaying for the input and output video signals.

post #839 of 915 Old 02-26-2020, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Could it be your Denon?
My Vertex definitely shows 4:2:2 12-bit output (NB! Still fits into HDMI 1.4 300MHz bit clock! -> HDMI Enhanced Mode not needed!).
PS I have the X1100ES but I do not believe it is any different from X800M2 on the video side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	725.2 KB
ID:	2690704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	679.7 KB
ID:	2690706  

Last edited by priitv8; 02-27-2020 at 12:21 AM.
post #840 of 915 Old 02-27-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Could it be your Denon?
My Vertex definitely shows 4:2:2 12-bit output (NB! Still fits into HDMI 1.4 300MHz bit clock! -> HDMI Enhanced Mode not needed!).
PS I have the X1100ES but I do not believe it is any different from X800M2 on the video side.

I gather from over in the Denon forum that this is some trickery with the Dolby Vision spec. Here's another post related to this: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-via-hdmi.html

If you do an internet search directly for Dolby Vision 8bit RGB there are a few related pages and a link to some Dolby white paper on the spec. Basically, it's not really 8 bit RGB, but it's 'wrapped' to appear as if it is so it can pass through whatever it needs to pass through in some instances and then it is unwrapped by your television presumably to 12bit, etc.

I've just not seen this so far, but granted I've only been streaming Disney, Vudu, Netflix, etc.

I was getting really bummed out. I did a bit more comparison with Aquaman 4k last night and I swear the HDR10 looked like it had a better color palette to me. The scene like chapter 9 or 10 where they go to Sicily has a lot of vibrant colors and they were looking much more muted in the Dolby Vision version to my eyes, but my TV also has separate profiles for Dolby Vision vs standard HDR. I've never noticed this with other content however. Maybe the Sony is just not as vibrant as other sources idk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page