OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 187Likes

post #841 of 1006 Old 02-27-2020, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
I gather from over in the Denon forum that this is some trickery with the Dolby Vision spec. Here's another post related to this: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-via-hdmi.html

If you do an internet search directly for Dolby Vision 8bit RGB there are a few related pages and a link to some Dolby white paper on the spec. Basically, it's not really 8 bit RGB, but it's 'wrapped' to appear as if it is so it can pass through whatever it needs to pass through in some instances and then it is unwrapped by your television presumably to 12bit, etc.
The Dolby whitepaper is https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...hite-paper.pdf

For those interested, take a look at pages 10 & 11, they talk about the mechanisms Dolby Vision uses to unpack the wrapper. So if I'm reading it correctly, the reason the Denon says it's RGB 8 bit is because it isn't performing the DV composer function (the tv will do this). The encoding will be the choice of the content creator, DV is pretty flexible by the looks of it.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite, Hubitat Home Automation, Philips Hue lights

Last edited by avsngaiouser; 02-27-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1006 Old 02-27-2020, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
I gather from over in the Denon forum that this is some trickery with the Dolby Vision spec.
If you do an internet search directly for Dolby Vision 8bit RGB there are a few related pages and a link to some Dolby white paper on the spec. Basically, it's not really 8 bit RGB, but it's 'wrapped' to appear as if it is so it can pass through whatever it needs to pass through in some instances and then it is unwrapped by your television presumably to 12bit, etc.
I was about to say the same, but could not find the reference to the original post I read about this. I was under impression I saw this on one of the HDFury threads.

Quote:
I was getting really bummed out. I did a bit more comparison with Aquaman 4k last night and I swear the HDR10 looked like it had a better color palette to me. The scene like chapter 9 or 10 where they go to Sicily has a lot of vibrant colors and they were looking much more muted in the Dolby Vision version to my eyes, but my TV also has separate profiles for Dolby Vision vs standard HDR. I've never noticed this with other content however. Maybe the Sony is just not as vibrant as other sources idk.
My experience is quite the opposite - I do not see any noteworthy differences between HDR10 and DV renderings on my Z9D. And Sony Bravia is known to show DV dimmer than HDR10.
So DV experience is heavily dependent on the capabilities of display panel and tonemapping algorithm.

Last edited by priitv8; 02-27-2020 at 10:54 PM.
post #843 of 1006 Old 02-28-2020, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
The Dolby whitepaper is https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...hite-paper.pdf

For those interested, take a look at pages 10 & 11, they talk about the mechanisms Dolby Vision uses to unpack the wrapper. So if I'm reading it correctly, the reason the Denon says it's RGB 8 bit is because it isn't performing the DV composer function (the tv will do this). The encoding will be the choice of the content creator, DV is pretty flexible by the looks of it.
I can't believe I haven't seen this before now. I don't check every source (My Xbox One X is my only other external source outside of my LG TV streaming apps), but I suppose I have guessed that the Dolby Vision from the Xbox looks better than fine to my eyes. Some material seems spectacular in Dolby Vision from those streaming sources actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
I was about to say the same, but could not find the reference to the original post I read about this. I was under impression I saw this on one of the HDFury threads.

My experience is quite the opposite - I do not see any noteworthy differences between HDR10 and DV renderings on my Z9D. And Sony Bravia is known to show DV dimmer than HDR10.
So DV experience is heavily dependent on the capabilities of display panel and tonemapping algorithm.
I got this and then we had the debates the other night, more political stuff on CNN the next night, and Bloomberg was in town here yesterday - basically, I haven't had time to properly test this out. The initial impression that something was wrong probably colored my opinion too (that RGB 8bit thing). I'm going to try to concentrate on the Dolby Vision discs that I have to see how they compare to the streaming versions of the same scenes and see what my final opinion is. I'll test the HDR10 vs Dolby Vision more too.

The picture is marginally sharper and overall improved vs the XBox. The sound seems marginally better too. I hope the Dolby Vision shines. Otherwise, it's going to end up being a decent multi-format source to play CD, SACD, DVD-A, etc and I do need a decent source for physical audio discs anyway. I'm just afraid that I'll regret not spending the extra and getting the Panasonic 820 to get the best possibly picture and getting something else that can play audio sources that might be better than the Sony for that. This is the most economical route.

The Xbox One X is really just a pretty decent 4k player I guess idk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 1006 Old 02-28-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
A few days ago my player informed me that a new firmware version was available. I have not installed it. I need to find out more more about the viewer data logging, i.e., how to turn it off.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
My Nov 2019 Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour
post #845 of 1006 Old 02-28-2020, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Just an FYI, I have installed the latest firmware on two of my three players w/o any problems.
Bladerunner1959 likes this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #846 of 1006 Old 02-28-2020, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Just an FYI, I have installed the latest firmware on two of my three players w/o any problems.
Net-wifi?
post #847 of 1006 Old 02-29-2020, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
Net-wifi?
I don't use wifi for anything that I expect/need to work reliably, at least not in my environment. It's way too unreliable here.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #848 of 1006 Old 02-29-2020, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
A few days ago my player informed me that a new firmware version was available. I have not installed it. I need to find out more more about the viewer data logging, i.e., how to turn it off.
Quote:
Quote:
Net-wifi?
Quote:
I don't use wifi for anything that I expect/need to work reliably, at least not in my environment. It's way too unreliable here.
I've only been using my 800m2 for a week and I just updated my firmware to most recent version (i think its 0052) via wifi and i had zero issues during the update and zero functionality issues afterwards. I dont stream from the player , its strictly for bluray and 4k discs. I had no problem when switching between HDR and DolbVision. ( all streaming is done from either my Sony A9G home screen or my XFinity apps menu.

Sony XBR-65-A9G, Sony UBP-X800m2, Xfinity, 600plus bluray/4k movies and time to enjoy it.
post #849 of 1006 Old 03-02-2020, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I recently bought X800M2 and I have few issues with it. I cannot get DD+ audio from Netflix app (only DD) through HDMI 2 to my AV-receiver. My receiver does support DD+ so it is not the issue. I guess player is converting audio from DD+ to DD. Not such a huge issue but I was wondering how that conversion is done? Does it re-encode DD+ to DD so that there will be even more loss of audio quality, or does it simply somehow transcode DD+ to DD without affecting quality?

Is there possibly coming update to Netflix so that you can get real DD+?

Another issue is with wifi. For some reason it refuse to connect to my router when ssid is hidden which I have been using with this router and all my other gear for long time without issues. However X800M2 refuse to connect to it even I input ssid and all the settings manually. As soon as I uncheck ssid hidden option in my router X800M2 connects to it without issue. I even tried settings it up without ssid hidden and then checked router ssid hidden on again but as soon as I did this my X800M2 lost connection to wifi, so it definitely has some issue with hidden ssid. Any ideas how to make X800M2 work with hidden ssid? Obviously since X800M2 menu has option to input ssid name manually would make sense it supports hidden ssid because why on earth they would even let you input ssid name in the first place?

Also I heard this player has issues with Dolby Vision UHD Blu-Ray discs that it will output (or report) BT.2020 colour space as Rec.709.
I haven't got any DV UHD myself yet to verify that but if this is the case I think it will be issue for me later. My display is LG C9 oled if that matters and my X800M2 firmware is the one that ends with 052 (the latest one).
I don't mind settings DV mode manually from setup if it then output correct BT.2020 colour space but if not, then I need to reconsider some other choices.
Anyone knows more about this?

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 03-02-2020 at 05:50 AM.
post #850 of 1006 Old 03-02-2020, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
I recently bought X800M2 Another issue is with wifi. For some reason it refuse to connect to my router when ssid is hidden which I have been using with this router and all my other gear for long time without issues. However X800M2 refuse to connect to it even I input ssid and all the settings manually. As soon as I uncheck ssid hidden option in my router X800M2 connects to it without issue. I even tried settings it up without ssid hidden and then checked router ssid hidden on again but as soon as I did this my X800M2 lost connection to wifi, so it definitely has some issue with hidden ssid. Any ideas how to make X800M2 work with hidden ssid? Obviously since X800M2 menu has option to input ssid name manually would make sense it supports hidden ssid because why on earth they would even let you input ssid name in the first place?
This may help:

Did you go into your wireless router administrator settings and set a static IP address (DHCP Reservation) for the 800M2. I recommend this for ALL wireless devices. It will improve connectivity concerns between devices and the wireless router

With my router I can access the admin settings by an app or browser. It list all the devices that have connected to the router. With their MAC address and the IP address assigned by the router.

For ME I can just click on a device and select reserve address. Now when the device connects to the router the router does not automatically assign a new IP (this can cause concern with devices trying to connect to the wireless router.) It uses the DHCP reservation (static IP address for the device.) By using a static IP that will stabilizes the devices connectivity to the router.

[email protected]@k in your wireless router owners manual to learn how to do this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #851 of 1006 Old 03-02-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, but I'm afraid it is not just about DHCP since it works just fine until I turn ssid back to hidden (so that it is not broadcasting my wifi network name).
post #852 of 1006 Old 03-02-2020, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Also I heard this player has issues with Dolby Vision UHD Blu-Ray discs that it will output (or report) BT.2020 colour space as Rec.709.
I haven't got any DV UHD myself yet to verify that but if this is the case I think it will be issue for me later. My display is LG C9 oled if that matters and my X800M2 firmware is the one that ends with 052 (the latest one).

I don't mind settings DV mode manually from setup if it then output correct BT.2020 colour space but if not, then I need to reconsider some other choices.
As noted above - I just went through an ordeal with not fully understanding the Dolby Vision spec allowing it to be 'wrapped' in 8bit RGB to pass through legacy devices presumably idk. You might just want to keep that in mind though. My Denon receiver can 'read' the data passing through is how I got tripped up on this.

I also have a LG C9 and to my knowledge there isn't any way to check the technical specifics of what signal is being output to the screen. It supposedly takes that 8bit RGB and unwraps it into 10/12 bit 4/4/4 or 4/4/2 - I honestly don't know specifically about color space for DV done this way.

I did want to express my apologies for jumping to conclusions that something wasn't right with the Sony player. It was the Dolby Vision spec and I've since watched at least one disc - Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom (?) that looks pretty sweet with Dolby Vision turned on. It also upscales 1080p nicely too!

Last edited by Fastfwd; 03-02-2020 at 06:17 PM.
post #853 of 1006 Old 03-03-2020, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Signal input specifics for LG OLED

Quote:
As noted above - I just went through an ordeal with not fully understanding the Dolby Vision spec allowing it to be 'wrapped' in 8bit RGB to pass through legacy devices presumably idk. You might just want to keep that in mind though. My Denon receiver can 'read' the data passing through is how I got tripped up on this.

I also have a LG C9 and to my knowledge there isn't any way to check the technical specifics of what signal is being output to the screen. It supposedly takes that 8bit RGB and unwraps it into 10/12 bit 4/4/4 or 4/4/2 - I honestly don't know specifically about color space for DV done this way.

I did want to express my apologies for jumping to conclusions that something wasn't right with the Sony player. It was the Dolby Vision spec and I've since watched at least one disc - Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom (?) that looks pretty sweet with Dolby Vision turned on. It also upscales 1080p nicely too!
>> I also have a LG C9 and to my knowledge there isn't any way to check the technical specifics of what signal is being output to the screen. <<

I have an LG E6 and if you use the LG remote pointer, point it to the upper left corner of the LG display and click once to show the input name, then again to show signal specifics.
post #854 of 1006 Old 03-03-2020, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I recently bought X800M2 and I have few issues with it. I cannot get DD+ audio from Netflix app (only DD) through HDMI 2 to my AV-receiver. My receiver does support DD+ so it is not the issue. I guess player is converting audio from DD+ to DD. Not such a huge issue but I was wondering how that conversion is done? Does it re-encode DD+ to DD so that there will be even more loss of audio quality, or does it simply somehow transcode DD+ to DD without affecting quality?

Is there possibly coming update to Netflix so that you can get real DD+?

Another issue is with wifi. For some reason it refuse to connect to my router when ssid is hidden which I have been using with this router and all my other gear for long time without issues. However X800M2 refuse to connect to it even I input ssid and all the settings manually. As soon as I uncheck ssid hidden option in my router X800M2 connects to it without issue. I even tried settings it up without ssid hidden and then checked router ssid hidden on again but as soon as I did this my X800M2 lost connection to wifi, so it definitely has some issue with hidden ssid. Any ideas how to make X800M2 work with hidden ssid? Obviously since X800M2 menu has option to input ssid name manually would make sense it supports hidden ssid because why on earth they would even let you input ssid name in the first place?

Apple devices also have trouble connecting with SSID hidden. I’ve had to broadcast because of this. Hidden SSID only stoos the most elementary attackers and they’re not the ones you need to worry about.

My LG E6 reports correct color space, e.g., BT.2020, from discs played on my 800M2.
post #855 of 1006 Old 03-03-2020, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Thanks, but I'm afraid it is not just about DHCP since it works just fine until I turn ssid back to hidden (so that it is not broadcasting my wifi network name).
Instead of using DHCP to assign an IP address, assign the IP address in the player. Use an address that it outside of the range serviced by the DHCP server.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
My Nov 2019 Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour
post #856 of 1006 Old 03-04-2020, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 189
So, I bought this player back in January, but I returned it after a few days because it made loud cracking noises when the unit heated up and had thermal expansion. I wrote about this previously, and others said they didn't have the issue. Based on this, I bought another one thinking that I had a rare exception and the new one wouldn't make any cracking noises.

Well...the new player still made loud cracking noises during thermal expansion. Drove me nuts, so I also returned that one.

What gives? Am I extremely unlucky? Do all players crack, but I'm just more sensitive to it? I noticed that it made more cracking noises when the optical drive was in use. Using Netflix didn't seem to do it as often or as loudly, so maybe the optical drive generated more heat.

The players were not enclosed in a cabinet, so they had ample space to breathe.

If it makes a difference, both players had a December 2019 manufacturing date. Maybe that batch was made with slightly different parts or quality of materials. At this point I'm not giving the player a third chance until I can somehow track down what is causing variation in this noise pattern. Also, Best Buy might blackball me if I buy and return the player for a third time.

I love the features of this player, especially since it properly handles 24.000 fps material on Netflix. It's a shame I've had bad luck.

Any thoughts?

On a related note, people describe this player as whisper quiet. While it is quiet with 2K discs, DVDs, and CDs, playing 4K discs is quite loud. I can clearly hear the spinning in my seating position while listening at regular volume. Both players were identical. So, once again, am I unlucky or just more sensitive?
post #857 of 1006 Old 03-04-2020, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I currently own the LG 90 which is supposed to be comparable to the x800m2. Sadly, the thread on that player is basically dead.
I am considering returning it for the x800m2 because the LG 90, which performs great, is just so bare bones.
The player will not display any codec information, which is something I really miss.

I also own many SACD and DVD Audio discs, so that is a huge plus.

But the Dolby Vision quirk is making me think twice.
Anyone who has owned or tried both players have any thoughts?
post #858 of 1006 Old 03-04-2020, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post
I currently own the LG 90 which is supposed to be comparable to the x800m2. Sadly, the thread on that player is basically dead.
I am considering returning it for the x800m2 because the LG 90, which performs great, is just so bare bones.
The player will not display any codec information, which is something I really miss.

I also own many SACD and DVD Audio discs, so that is a huge plus.

But the Dolby Vision quirk is making me think twice.
Anyone who has owned or tried both players have any thoughts?
Interesting that you bring this up--see my post above about the 800 M2. My other player that I'm trying to replace is the LG UBK80, which is basically the 90 without Dolby Vision. It's a fine player. Plays everything I throw at it just fine. In terms of playing quality, it's basically the same as the 800 M2, but without the bells and whistles, like you mentioned. So, I'd only get the 800 M2 if you really want those features, which I did as well. But don't expect it to play movie media any better than the LG.
post #859 of 1006 Old 03-04-2020, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
Interesting that you bring this up--see my post above about the 800 M2. My other player that I'm trying to replace is the LG UBK80, which is basically the 90 without Dolby Vision. It's a fine player. Plays everything I throw at it just fine. In terms of playing quality, it's basically the same as the 800 M2, but without the bells and whistles, like you mentioned. So, I'd only get the 800 M2 if you really want those features, which I did as well. But don't expect it to play movie media any better than the LG.
Thanks for the input. I am leaning more towards keeping the LG.
post #860 of 1006 Old 03-04-2020, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post
Thanks for the input. I am leaning more towards keeping the LG.
The only quirk I can find is if you specify 24 hz output in the settings, it will output regular DVDs at 30 fps. In contrast, you can have the Sony player perform reverse 3:2 pulldown on DVDs to output 24 fps to your tv.

If you have a very large DVD collection, this might be worth it. Or, you can manually toggle the LG back to 60 hz every time you want to play a DVD.
post #861 of 1006 Old 03-04-2020, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I have read way back in this thread that Sony has said that there is no difference in quality between DD+ and the DD on the X800M2; however, I am skeptical about this. I don't know the details of how it converts it though.
post #862 of 1006 Old 03-04-2020, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
On a related note, people describe this player as whisper quiet. While it is quiet with 2K discs, DVDs, and CDs, playing 4K discs is quite loud. I can clearly hear the spinning in my seating position while listening at regular volume. Both players were identical. So, once again, am I unlucky or just more sensitive?
I think that is pretty normal to hear the spinning with 4K discs around the beginning and end of a movie. I haven't heard one that is silent.

As for the thermal expansion, I haven't heard it with mine yet. I do have an Xbox sitting on top of the player so that might be preventing it. Maybe try putting something heavy on top of the player to see if that makes a difference.
post #863 of 1006 Old 03-04-2020, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Looking to find a player has 'source direct/original resolution' that will output 1080p 24fps automatically (no setting changes on the gui needed) without either upscaling to 4k or 1080p 60fps.

I have been told the original x800 can do this by enabling 'Original Resolution' and turning '4k Upscaling' off.

Can any owners confirm if this functionality still works on the M2?

Thanks
post #864 of 1006 Old 03-05-2020, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This is good information. I also just read about that DV wrapped in 8bit to pass though thing, so I guess it is all right on the player side then. I hope my TV really understand and can switch to right mode. I'm not sure is there any way to force C9 in case it does not automatically switch to right mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry78 View Post
Apple devices also have trouble connecting with SSID hidden. I’ve had to broadcast because of this. Hidden SSID only stoos the most elementary attackers and they’re not the ones you need to worry about.

My LG E6 reports correct color space, e.g., BT.2020, from discs played on my 800M2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Instead of using DHCP to assign an IP address, assign the IP address in the player. Use an address that it outside of the range serviced by the DHCP server.
It does not seem to be DHCP issue since it seems to be losing connection right after turning ssid back to hidden. Anyway, I have also known for quite some time hiding ssid does not really do any good in regards of security. It is just old habit die hard thing as I have kept using the same vulgar ssid name always and I have just kept it hidden for that reason even these days and since all my gear, including Apple devices have been working with it fine, I never gotten around changing it. I guess now it is time for that.

Quote:
So, I bought this player back in January, but I returned it after a few days because it made loud cracking noises when the unit heated up and had thermal expansion. I wrote about this previously, and others said they didn't have the issue. Based on this, I bought another one thinking that I had a rare exception and the new one wouldn't make any cracking noises.

Well...the new player still made loud cracking noises during thermal expansion. Drove me nuts, so I also returned that one.

What gives? Am I extremely unlucky? Do all players crack, but I'm just more sensitive to it? I noticed that it made more cracking noises when the optical drive was in use. Using Netflix didn't seem to do it as often or as loudly, so maybe the optical drive generated more heat.

The players were not enclosed in a cabinet, so they had ample space to breathe.

If it makes a difference, both players had a December 2019 manufacturing date. Maybe that batch was made with slightly different parts or quality of materials. At this point I'm not giving the player a third chance until I can somehow track down what is causing variation in this noise pattern. Also, Best Buy might blackball me if I buy and return the player for a third time.

I love the features of this player, especially since it properly handles 24.000 fps material on Netflix. It's a shame I've had bad luck.

Any thoughts?

I haven't noticed mine making those cracking noises and I have it even pretty tightly stacked underneath another player but I've had it such a short time I have very limited experience with it.
Also to me it feels much quieter than my other players. I haven't really paid much attention to 4K discs sound but the one I tried I did not notice anything obvious from listening position.

By the way, how do you check manufacturing date? I have no idea when mine was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipcsey View Post
I have read way back in this thread that Sony has said that there is no difference in quality between DD+ and the DD on the X800M2; however, I am skeptical about this. I don't know the details of how it converts it though.
I wonder how the conversions from DD+ to DD is made? It seems based on my AV-receiver that it is outputting constantly 640Kbps from Netflix, at least on the few titles I tested with. I guess they are actually using that bitrate at least for some material for 4K subscribers. However I think it must be doing some kind of upconversion to lower that 640Kbps titles. It would be interesting to know how lossy these conversions are and is it even possible to convert even DD+ rates to DD without any loss (I mean 640Kbps DD+ to 640Kbps DD)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by togs View Post
Hi,

Looking to find a player has 'source direct/original resolution' that will output 1080p 24fps automatically (no setting changes on the gui needed) without either upscaling to 4k or 1080p 60fps.

I have been told the original x800 can do this by enabling 'Original Resolution' and turning '4k Upscaling' off.

Can any owners confirm if this functionality still works on the M2?

Thanks
There is settings for 24p in the setup menu and it has even choices for different media types, so it looks like it can output 24P even from Netflix. It definitely does that from 4K and 1080p BD's, I've tested it myself. I have display setting automatic, so for my 4K display it automatically also upconvert 1080p BD's to 4K 24p. I think it works without upconverting too as it has separate settings for 24p output.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 03-05-2020 at 04:15 AM.
post #865 of 1006 Old 03-05-2020, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can X800M2 play BDMV (AVCHD) (with Dolby Vision/Atmos) folder from USB? Thanks
post #866 of 1006 Old 03-05-2020, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arshavir Aghajanyan View Post
Can X800M2 play BDMV (AVCHD) (with Dolby Vision/Atmos) folder from USB? Thanks
Atmos yes, Vision no.
BDMV disc structure is irrelevant and ignored, only m2ts files play, that are found inside the STREAM folder.
post #867 of 1006 Old 03-05-2020, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Alright now I know what you're talking about after watching a 4K disc last night. At first I thought it was my receiver making noises but it's the X800M2. Is it cold where you have the player? My basement is pretty cold until I go down and turn up the heat/switch everything on to watch something. I imagine in the warmer months it won't happen as much.
post #868 of 1006 Old 03-05-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post
Alright now I know what you're talking about after watching a 4K disc last night. At first I thought it was my receiver making noises but it's the X800M2. Is it cold where you have the player? My basement is pretty cold until I go down and turn up the heat/switch everything on to watch something. I imagine in the warmer months it won't happen as much.
I finished watching MI III 4k with DV. I did not hear any noises. I bought the Sony UBP-X800M2 May 2019. I have watched quite a few 4K UHD discs since then along with two or three SD DVDs and a couple BD DVDs and an SACD here or there. The result is the same. I have NOT heard any noises. The player gets plenty of ventilation because it is out in the open.
hodgjy likes this.
post #869 of 1006 Old 03-06-2020, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think that is pretty normal to hear the spinning with 4K discs around the beginning and end of a movie. I haven't heard one that is silent.

As for the thermal expansion, I haven't heard it with mine yet. I do have an Xbox sitting on top of the player so that might be preventing it. Maybe try putting something heavy on top of the player to see if that makes a difference.
Quote:
Quote:
I finished watching MI III 4k with DV. I did not hear any noises. I bought the Sony UBP-X800M2 May 2019. I have watched quite a few 4K UHD discs since then along with two or three SD DVDs and a couple BD DVDs and an SACD here or there. The result is the same. I have NOT heard any noises. The player gets plenty of ventilation because it is out in the open.
Thanks for the replies. The expansion is most likely the PCB and processor inside, so stacking something on top of it won't likely help.

The room is 73 degrees F, so it's not cold. I guess there is manufacturing variation. What was your date of manufacturing, if you don't mind me asking?
post #870 of 1006 Old 03-06-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. The expansion is most likely the PCB and processor inside, so stacking something on top of it won't likely help.

The room is 73 degrees F, so it's not cold. I guess there is manufacturing variation. What was your date of manufacturing, if you don't mind me asking?
G AM:
I called Sony 2X>>no luck. I also gave them the SN, it did not make any difference. His response to the mfg. date was May 12, 2019. May 12, 2019 was the market release date. I bought mine May 21, 2019. Go figure.

Last edited by Transistorious; 03-06-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page