OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 188Likes

post #871 of 1016 Old 03-06-2020, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
G AM:
I called Sony 2X>>no luck. I also gave them the SN, it did not make any difference. His response to the mfg. date was May 12, 2019. May 12, 2019 was the market release date. I bought mine May 21, 2019. Go figure.
Wow, thanks for going that extra step, which was more than above and beyond. Usually there's a sticker on the back that gives the date. That's how I determined mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1016 Old 03-06-2020, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
The room is 73 degrees F, so it's not cold. I guess there is manufacturing variation. What was your date of manufacturing, if you don't mind me asking?
Mine was manufactured April 2019. I imagine all of the X800M2’s would behave the same way and make the sound while placed in the same conditions as ours.
hodgjy likes this.
post #873 of 1016 Old 03-09-2020, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
This is good information. I also just read about that DV wrapped in 8bit to pass though thing, so I guess it is all right on the player side then. I hope my TV really understand and can switch to right mode. I'm not sure is there any way to force C9 in case it does not automatically switch to right mode?
My understanding of this is that as part of the 'Dolby Spec' it's just written in what I suppose is the 'code' like the software code to know that the data stream 'packets' are disguised to look like 8bit RGB and when it gets to a tv that knows what to expect - in this case our C9, but any television with Dolby Vision..... the tv knows that inside the 'wrapper' of the information packets is the full on 10/12 bit whatever color space for deep color information and it unpacks it correctly.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not particularly well versed in video/audio 'wrappers' for various codecs or whatever. I have a vague familiarity with what some of that means. The extension of a video file format may only tell part of the story of what kind of video is inside of that file, etc. I think this in particular is also borrowing a little bit from computer network traffic technology, but idk. Basically, it's wrapping up this DV signal in such a way that it can fool some of the legacy hardware out there like maybe some older receivers so that it can just pass through more easily and not be rejected as unrecognized is my best guess. That would make it much less of a pain in the ass for consumers to jump on board with a Dolby Vision player if their brand new 4k receiver didn't become obsolete just because it couldn't pass through some new data stream. I'm not sure that's why - if it was passing through 4k already then what more is it asking, etc?

I haven't seen this before from my Xbox One X that can only pass through streaming Dolby Vision signal. I haven't seen anyone ever complain that their Xbox wasn't as compatible as any other player even just with streaming Dolby Vision, however. My theory on this might not be accurate, but that's my best guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 1016 Old 03-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
My understanding of this is that as part of the 'Dolby Spec' it's just written in what I suppose is the 'code' like the software code to know that the data stream 'packets' are disguised to look like 8bit RGB and when it gets to a tv that knows what to expect - in this case our C9, but any television with Dolby Vision..... the tv knows that inside the 'wrapper' of the information packets is the full on 10/12 bit whatever color space for deep color information and it unpacks it correctly.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not particularly well versed in video/audio 'wrappers' for various codecs or whatever. I have a vague familiarity with what some of that means. The extension of a video file format may only tell part of the story of what kind of video is inside of that file, etc. I think this in particular is also borrowing a little bit from computer network traffic technology, but idk. Basically, it's wrapping up this DV signal in such a way that it can fool some of the legacy hardware out there like maybe some older receivers so that it can just pass through more easily and not be rejected as unrecognized is my best guess. That would make it much less of a pain in the ass for consumers to jump on board with a Dolby Vision player if their brand new 4k receiver didn't become obsolete just because it couldn't pass through some new data stream. I'm not sure that's why - if it was passing through 4k already then what more is it asking, etc?

I haven't seen this before from my Xbox One X that can only pass through streaming Dolby Vision signal. I haven't seen anyone ever complain that their Xbox wasn't as compatible as any other player even just with streaming Dolby Vision, however. My theory on this might not be accurate, but that's my best guess.
WHY is it so important to you that the AVR is Dolby Vision(DV) compatible assuming your 4K TV is DV compatible?
post #875 of 1016 Old 03-09-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
WHY is it so important to you that the AVR is Dolby Vision(DV) compatible assuming your 4K TV is DV compatible?

I'm not sure where you interpret that it was important to ME. Dolby created the data packet scheme or however it might best be phrased. It just caught me by surprise to see it show up in my AVR as RGB 8bit and I thought that just had to be wrong. Like, I thought maybe a recent Sony firmware could have messed it up somehow. That was my mistake, but probably an easy mistake to understand considering that in fact the Dolby Vision data stream has a form that is intended to trick legacy components into passing it through (that's my guess why they did it).

In summary, my AVR is new and it passes Dolby Vision either way so I don't personally care at all now that I know it's just how it works. I also get it that if you've got an old AVR that you could send the video to the TV directly and the sound to the AVR - that's a nice feature.
post #876 of 1016 Old 03-09-2020, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
I hope that makes sense. I'm not particularly well versed in video/audio 'wrappers' for various codecs or whatever. I have a vague familiarity with what some of that means. The extension of a video file format may only tell part of the story of what kind of video is inside of that file, etc. I think this in particular is also borrowing a little bit from computer network traffic technology, but idk. Basically, it's wrapping up this DV signal in such a way that it can fool some of the legacy hardware out there like maybe some older receivers so that it can just pass through more easily and not be rejected as unrecognized is my best guess.
I think you are mixing enapsulation in a file with encapsulation in HDMI signal. The 2 have very little in common, if anything.

Quote:
The main problem is HDMI-EDID. AVR-s usually compose new EDID for HDMI inputs, that combine display's video capabilities with AVR's audio capabilities. Now it needs to understand DoVi description block in display's EDID and pass it on to its inputs for signal sources to see.
post #877 of 1016 Old 03-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone!

I connect my 800M2 directly to my LG Oled B7 using a premium certified HDMI cable and the problem is I get massive clicks and pops on Atmos when watching UHD discs. Digital Audio Output is set to Auto and BD Secondary Audio is set to off. Any ideas?

Thank you
post #878 of 1016 Old 03-13-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
I think you are mixing enapsulation in a file with encapsulation in HDMI signal. The 2 have very little in common, if anything.

The main problem is HDMI-EDID. AVR-s usually compose new EDID for HDMI inputs, that combine display's video capabilities with AVR's audio capabilities. Now it needs to understand DoVi description block in display's EDID and pass it on to its inputs for signal sources to see.

I defer to you on this. Like I said, these are just my ballpark speculations on what is happening. I haven't studied up on it. I appreciate those who contributed to a better understanding. I never intended to spread false information. I was just confused by the way it works.
post #879 of 1016 Old 03-14-2020, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Is there a post dedicated to settings discussion? Either in this thread or the x800 v1 thread? I skimmed a lot but didn't hit the mother load. I read about it, but couldn't find it.

Thanks.
post #880 of 1016 Old 03-16-2020, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
As a side note, he said that the update only collects the user information it does not add any special features to the player.
Any specifics on what user information is collected by new firmware?
post #881 of 1016 Old 03-16-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Corrola View Post
Any specifics on what user information is collected by new firmware?
No new info available. I've been under the weather, so didn't do any digging.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
My Nov 2019 Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour
post #882 of 1016 Old 03-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Liked: 12
Hi All, Do you believe there will be a 3rd version of the UBP-X800... perhaps a UBP-X800M3 or another replacement? It doesn't look like Sony has made any player announcements at CES or the like. Perhaps the UBP-X800M2 and UBP-X1100ES mark the end of Sony's upper mid-range to high-end player offerings... I'd appreciate your thoughts and thank you.
post #883 of 1016 Old 03-22-2020, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uraprat View Post
Hi All, Do you believe there will be a 3rd version of the UBP-X800... perhaps a UBP-X800M3 or another replacement? It doesn't look like Sony has made any player announcements at CES or the like. Perhaps the UBP-X800M2 and UBP-X1100ES mark the end of Sony's upper mid-range to high-end player offerings... I'd appreciate your thoughts and thank you.
Not sure but why not grab an 800m2? Mine has been awesome.
bjfoien likes this.

Sony XBR-65-A9G, Sony UBP-X800m2, Xfinity, 600plus bluray/4k movies and time to enjoy it.
post #884 of 1016 Old 03-22-2020, 08:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post
Not sure but why not grab an 800m2? Mine has been awesome.
Bladerunner1959, Thank you very much for your help! I didn't have an immediate need for a new player and would have potentially waited for a 3rd generation Sony player that would hopefully included automatic Dolby Vision detection, but my new display (a XBR-65Z9F) got the better of me and I found a great deal on UBP-X1100ES. I can say that I'm very satisfied with the significant improvements in both video and audio quality compared with my previous circa-the-year 2005 bargain basement Philips player! Thanks again!
Bladerunner1959 likes this.
post #885 of 1016 Old 03-23-2020, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all,

My X800M2 has been working perfectly for a few months until today. I use the coaxial digital out to connect to an old Denon AVR for audio. Suddenly my Netflix movies cannot output 5.1 - no sound. I go to the audio options of whatever I am playing and then select the standard non 5.1 sound option and then it works (i.e. audio plays but there is a pause on the video and then a sharp crack before audio comes out of the speakers), but then i switch it back to 5.1 sound option and the audio is gone again.

It is the same with my Bluray discs. I play bluray with 5.1 audio track and there is no sound. But if i select mono or stereo sound it works. Just wondering if this is a known issue of this player, or possibly the firmware upgrade (since that's the only thing I know happened to the player since I last played it). It seems to be a problem with the coaxial output. The coaxial cable and the AVR are fine because I tested both on my Pioneer player and the 5.1 outputs are processed and played by my AVR successfully.

Thanks very much!
post #886 of 1016 Old 03-23-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz W View Post
Hi all,

My X800M2 has been working perfectly for a few months until today. I use the coaxial digital out to connect to an old Denon AVR for audio. Suddenly my Netflix movies cannot output 5.1 - no sound. I go to the audio options of whatever I am playing and then select the standard non 5.1 sound option and then it works (i.e. audio plays but there is a pause on the video and then a sharp crack before audio comes out of the speakers), but then i switch it back to 5.1 sound option and the audio is gone again.

It is the same with my Bluray discs. I play bluray with 5.1 audio track and there is no sound. But if i select mono or stereo sound it works. Just wondering if this is a known issue of this player, or possibly the firmware upgrade (since that's the only thing I know happened to the player since I last played it). It seems to be a problem with the coaxial output. The coaxial cable and the AVR are fine because I tested both on my Pioneer player and the 5.1 outputs are processed and played by my AVR successfully.

Thanks very much!
I didn't think that the old digital connections (Optical S/PDIF and coax) didn't support multichannel audio. I could be wrong as I've not used either of them in many years now.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #887 of 1016 Old 03-23-2020, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I didn't think that the old digital connections (Optical S/PDIF and coax) didn't support multichannel audio. I could be wrong as I've not used either of them in many years now.
Those connections do support Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio but not the high definition ones such as True HD or DD+.
post #888 of 1016 Old 03-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz W View Post
Hi all,

Thanks very much!
Page 23 in the manual mentions digital audio output which is normally set to AUTO but can be changed to PCM if sound is not heard so you might give that a try or check your receiver to see if some setting changed there.
post #889 of 1016 Old 03-23-2020, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
Those connections do support Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio but not the high definition ones such as True HD or DD+.
Thanks for the correction. I gave them up so long ago now...and my memory hasn't been getting any better with age.
jkeldo likes this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #890 of 1016 Old 03-23-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last night I tried to watch Jumanji Next Level and I lost the ability to view any menu settings, but I can watch the disc without issue. It seems the player's native video won't display, but the video from the disc works fine.

Any ideas?

I can't reset it because I can't get to a menu screen. I have unplugged it for a few minutes with no luck.
post #891 of 1016 Old 03-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Thanks for the correction. I gave them up so long ago now...and my memory hasn't been getting any better with age.
I only remember because I have the Sony X800M2 going directly into the tv's HDMI which outputs sound through the optical back to the AVR. I also can use the second HDMI output on the X800M2 for the higher resolution modes going into the AVR but I generally don't use those.
post #892 of 1016 Old 03-23-2020, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Last night I tried to watch Jumanji Next Level and I lost the ability to view any menu settings, but I can watch the disc without issue. It seems the player's native video won't display, but the video from the disc works fine.

Any ideas?

I can't reset it because I can't get to a menu screen. I have unplugged it for a few minutes with no luck.
On p. 28 in the manual, it mentions this procedure if you can't get a picture although you say you have that but maybe it will help by resetting the unit to the lowest resolution and then you can adjust it from there:

• Reset the [Output Video Resolution] to the
lowest resolution by pressing 􏰄 STOP, HOME, and then POP UP/MENU on the remote.
post #893 of 1016 Old 03-24-2020, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Be sure your HDMI cable is premium certified. Someone in one of the forums mentioned that the menu screens on UHD discs play at a different frame rate than the movie itself, and if you don't have premium certified cables, it won't always play the menu.
jkeldo likes this.
post #894 of 1016 Old 03-24-2020, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
On p. 28 in the manual, it mentions this procedure if you can't get a picture although you say you have that but maybe it will help by resetting the unit to the lowest resolution and then you can adjust it from there:

• Reset the [Output Video Resolution] to the
lowest resolution by pressing 􏰄 STOP, HOME, and then POP UP/MENU on the remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
Be sure your HDMI cable is premium certified. Someone in one of the forums mentioned that the menu screens on UHD discs play at a different frame rate than the movie itself, and if you don't have premium certified cables, it won't always play the menu.
Thank you both. I just swapped in an active monoprice cable. It very well could be the problem, I have not had time to switch it out yet.

I will try the remote button sequence as well.

I'll report back with results. Thanks again!
jkeldo likes this.
post #895 of 1016 Old 03-25-2020, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
Someone in one of the forums mentioned that the menu screens on UHD discs play at a different frame rate than the movie itself, and if you don't have premium certified cables, it won't always play the menu.
Yes, the home screen on UBP-s runs at [email protected] and 60fps by default, consuming the full bandwidth of the Premium HDMI cable.
Terry78 and jkeldo like this.
post #896 of 1016 Old 03-25-2020, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Any ideas?

Sounds like an HDMI cable issue - the menus are displayed in 4k 60fps and if you don't have a premium certified (hologram on package) cable it might not be up to the job. This has frequently been the fix for the menus not showing with both the X700 and X800M.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite, Hubitat Home Automation, Philips Hue lights
post #897 of 1016 Old 03-28-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Changing the setting to display menus in 1080p worked.

If I can watch an uhd 4k movie without issue why can't I use the menu at a resolution of 4k?

Im using a monoprice active cable. I replaced an insignia 4k cable that worked fine. I thought active was better.
post #898 of 1016 Old 03-28-2020, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Changing the setting to display menus in 1080p worked.

If I can watch an uhd 4k movie without issue why can't I use the menu at a resolution of 4k?

Im using a monoprice active cable. I replaced an insignia 4k cable that worked fine. I thought active was better.
UHD movie - 4K @ 24 hz
Sony menu - 4K @ 60 hz

My guess is that something is limiting the bandwidth and will not allow 4K @ 60 hz.

HT TCL 55P605, BenQ W7000, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Pioneer SC-LX701, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Music Sansui SR-4050, SR-3030, Dual 1219, Pioneer BDP-85FD, Emotiva PT-100, Sherwood Newcastle R-972, Polk Monitor 10 & 5jr, SVS SB1000
post #899 of 1016 Old 03-28-2020, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sony UBP-X800M2 not playin audio on Denon

I have a Denon AVR-2300W and getting no sound from my Sony player. Picture comes through beautifully; all other connect components are playing sound fine. Is their an audio setting that I need to select? Many thanks in advance for any tips.
post #900 of 1016 Old 03-28-2020, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
UHD movie - 4K @ 24 hz
Sony menu - 4K @ 60 hz

My guess is that something is limiting the bandwidth and will not allow 4K @ 60 hz.
Gotcha. Makes perfect sense. Thx much. I'll send this cable back and get another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page