OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #1051 of 1094 Old 06-26-2020, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Martinez View Post
Had anyone figured out how to install Hulu on this player? It's odd there is no "app store", and I already checked Hulu's website and this model is NOT on the excluded list, which implies that it should be supported. Sony's response to someone else who asked this question was to check that it is supported on Hulu's site, and even linked it, again that link shows that it should be supported, it's all very nonsensical.

Also will Disney+ ever be supported to anyone's knowledge? If Blu-ray is going by the wayside, and streaming is the future, then why aren't all apps supported especially on high end and flagship models?
I don't think they are going to add any new apps. It's been out a while and I don't think they've done anything except updates to improve disk playback.

My X800 before this had a lot more apps included and they added and took a few away as I used it for several years. It's not here right now because I loaned it to lil sisters hubby to see if he likes it and wants to trade me some gear he's not using for it.

Maybe some apps will get added but I doubt it.

Everyone has smart TVs, Rokus, and Sheilds now so apps on a player aren't as important as they once were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1094 Old 06-27-2020, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can anyone with an hdr tv, verify if hdr mkv files will display properly (picture quality) when played through USB?
post #1053 of 1094 Old 06-27-2020, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Can anyone with an hdr tv, verify if hdr mkv files will display properly (picture quality) when played through USB?
Sony BD players can’t play MKV files well especially with true HD or atmos through the USB port. I had better luck with mt2s files and mp4 files. Use a program like tsmuxer to remux mkv files to ts or mt2s. I’ve have some luck converting some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1094 Old 06-27-2020, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezjp View Post
Quote:
Sony BD players can’t play MKV files well especially with true HD or atmos through the USB port. I had better luck with mt2s files and mp4 files. Use a program like tsmuxer to remux mkv files to ts or mt2s. I’ve have some luck converting some.
Well I'm able to play mkv files via USB, including 4k and hdr, but I don't have an hdr tv yet, for hdr to display correctly, so on my screen hdr content just looks darker. All DTS files work perfectly, Dolby true hd and Atmos just come up as 7.1 pcm and are then processed by my avr with no problems. I send all audio and video through my avr, it does a great job of decoding and/or upscaling as needed.
post #1055 of 1094 Old 07-02-2020, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Audio only hdmi

Can someone please explain to me how to use the audio only port in some of these players? I have an LG CX Oled. I also have a Sony dh790 AVR that supports eARC. Yesterday, I bought the Sony x800m2 to pair with them. Ideally, I wanted to connect the blu ray player's video hdmi to my TV's hdmi, then connect the blu ray player's audio hdmi to my receiver's hdmi. But when I set this up, I only get video. I'm trying to visualize the connections, and the way I am connecting all devices seems to be the most logical. I've fiddled with certain setting on the player. Still no audio. Maybe someone from the x800m2 thread can chime in. But I figured this was more a general question relative to some players, which is why I opened a new thread.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #1056 of 1094 Old 07-02-2020, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49 View Post
Can someone please explain to me how to use the audio only port in some of these players? I have an LG CX Oled. I also have a Sony dh790 AVR that supports eARC. Yesterday, I bought the Sony x800m2 to pair with them. Ideally, I wanted to connect the blu ray player's video hdmi to my TV's hdmi, then connect the blu ray player's audio hdmi to my receiver's hdmi. But when I set this up, I only get video. I'm trying to visualize the connections, and the way I am connecting all devices seems to be the most logical. I've fiddled with certain setting on the player. Still no audio. Maybe someone from the x800m2 thread can chime in. But I figured this was more a general question relative to some players, which is why I opened a new thread.

Every player's settings are different. You really don't need to use both HDMI's if your receiver can pass 4k. Just use one from the player to the receiver, and then out from the receiver to your display.

S~
mooch49 likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1057 of 1094 Old 07-02-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Every player's settings are different. You really don't need to use both HDMI's if your receiver can pass 4k. Just use one from the player to the receiver, and then out from the receiver to your display.

S~
Okay, great. My receiver does 4K/HDR/DV @ 60. I just wasn't sure how that audio only hdmi worked. I thought maybe I get better picture quality if the player was going into the TV and have the audio go into the receiver. But you are saying it really isn't necessary to use that port.

post #1058 of 1094 Old 07-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just got this player today, turned it on and the disc tray won't open. Any easy fix for this?
post #1059 of 1094 Old 07-02-2020, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Okay, great. My receiver does 4K/HDR/DV @ 60. I just wasn't sure how that audio only hdmi worked. I thought maybe I get better picture quality if the player was going into the TV and have the audio go into the receiver. But you are saying it really isn't necessary to use that port.

Not necessary. All of my players run through the receiver and out to the display.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1060 of 1094 Old 07-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

I disagree. The split method(HDMI Video out to TV or Projector and HDMI Audio to AVR) has been documented to work better. A few brands offer the split method which was available before the 4K UHD disc became the new sheriff in town. It allows the TV to take care of the video. Finally it also allows the ones with projectors to benefit from the split method.

My AVR is DV and HDR capable but I opted to disable the DV/HDR and let my TV process the video.

"Feels great, baby." SF 49ers QB Jimmy G.
post #1061 of 1094 Old 07-02-2020, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

I have seen no documentation saying using both works better. Most posts here are posts with issues running or trying to run both. Receivers have passthrough mode. It does just that. UHD players came out before many receivers supported HDCP 2.2 and HDR. I initially ran my Samsung using both HDMI outs until my Yamaha received the update. Once it was, I switched to the single HDMI output. No difference in picture quality. In addition, using the single HDMI cable allows the built in audio sync to work. I also eliminated the manual audio sync I had to set running both.
khcoach likes this.

post #1062 of 1094 Old 07-02-2020, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I eventually get the older Denon AVR I'm looking at it has hdmi in and out but doesn't support 4khdr at all so I either need to use the optical out or the second hdmi for full audio format support. The Onkyo I have now does not support hdmi at all so I use the optical out and get 5.1 fine. I don't think the newer formats work over optical or coaxial digital out.
post #1063 of 1094 Old 07-03-2020, 08:31 PM

I got this player a few days ago. I like mostly everything. I can even deal with the manual DV setting. What I'm puzzled about is as I watch a movie, and press pause/stop, then come back to watch again, it doesn't ask me to resume playback. Shouldn't this message display automatically for every disc? I don't see a setting on the player for this.

post #1064 of 1094 Old 07-03-2020, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
If I eventually get the older Denon AVR I'm looking at it has hdmi in and out but doesn't support 4khdr at all so I either need to use the optical out or the second hdmi for full audio format support. The Onkyo I have now does not support hdmi at all so I use the optical out and get 5.1 fine. I don't think the newer formats work over optical or coaxial digital out.
First, if your older HDMI equipped AVR supports Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD which are lossles, that's better than the non HDMI Onkyo. You are correct, Dolby Atmos and DTS: X do not pass over an optical cable.
When listening the Denon AVR use it for audio with the second HDMI out of your 4k player and connect the video straight to your TV and let the TV process the 4K HDR.
I hope this helps.
avsngaiouser likes this.

"Feels great, baby." SF 49ers QB Jimmy G.
post #1065 of 1094 Old 07-03-2020, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
First, if your older HDMI equipped AVR supports Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD which are lossles, that's better than the non HDMI Onkyo. You are correct, Dolby Atmos and DTS: X do not pass over an optical cable.
When listening the Denon AVR use it for audio with the second HDMI out of your 4k player and connect the video straight to your TV and let the TV process the 4K HDR.
I hope this helps.
If I end up with it that's the plan. It's a 3808ci my lil sisters hubby just replaced with a Anthem so he's good to go now but for me I think it would be a worthy upgrade from my Onkyo 898 which is a nice sounding AVR in it's own right but doesn't support HDMI at all and none of the newer formats.
post #1066 of 1094 Old 07-04-2020, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
I got this player a few days ago. I like mostly everything. I can even deal with the manual DV setting. What I'm puzzled about is as I watch a movie, and press pause/stop, then come back to watch again, it doesn't ask me to resume playback. Shouldn't this message display automatically for every disc? I don't see a setting on the player for this.

As I understand it, that's programmed into the disc to have a resume capability. If the disc has been so programmed, the player will put up that resume message which you can select; if not, the player is helpless to assist.
mooch49 likes this.
post #1067 of 1094 Old 07-04-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
As I understand it, that's programmed into the disc to have a resume capability. If the disc has been so programmed, the player will put up that resume message which you can select; if not, the player is helpless to assist.
Okay, thanks.

post #1068 of 1094 Old 07-04-2020, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Looking to buy an 800M2, question is...does it lock up a lot or not. If so, is it just 4K disks?

Going to piss me off to rip a plug out of a wall, it's a hell of a lot of crap I'd have to move. Once a year I'm ok with, other than that, I'm getting the panny 820(which has its own problems, I'm sure). My drinking time is very important to me, to the minute(I'm Canadian).

Cheers and stay safe!
post #1069 of 1094 Old 07-05-2020, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 163
My 800.2 has never locked up.
post #1070 of 1094 Old 07-05-2020, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
Looking to buy an 800M2, question is...does it lock up a lot or not. If so, is it just 4K disks?

Going to piss me off to rip a plug out of a wall, it's a hell of a lot of crap I'd have to move. Once a year I'm ok with, other than that, I'm getting the panny 820(which has its own problems, I'm sure). My drinking time is very important to me, to the minute(I'm Canadian).

Cheers and stay safe!
I never had the unit lock up with any disc but to be honest I don’t use it constantly. Have tried all the formats, CD, SACD, DVD, 4K, DVD-A, etc...
post #1071 of 1094 Old 07-05-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
My 800.2 has never locked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleroll View Post
I never had the unit lock up with any disc but to be honest I don’t use it constantly. Have tried all the formats, CD, SACD, DVD, 4K, DVD-A, etc...
Thanks, confusing research on info in that regard. Disk freezing seems to be applicable to the 700 and 800M1 series. Have seen some complaints on the m2 as well. At least I've got some first hand opinions now.

Cheers,

A1
doubleroll likes this.
post #1072 of 1094 Old 07-05-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Thanks, confusing research on info in that regard. Disk freezing seems to be applicable to the 700 and 800M1 series. Have seen some complaints on the m2 as well. At least I've got some first hand opinions now.

Cheers,

A1

Quite frequently the lockups are due to dirty disks, even brand new disks can have a nearly invisible film on them that will cause the disk player to have difficulties and eventually lock-up. Cleaning disks before playing can solve the issue.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #1073 of 1094 Old 07-05-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Quite frequently the lockups are due to dirty disks, even brand new disks can have a nearly invisible film on them that will cause the disk player to have difficulties and eventually lock-up. Cleaning disks before playing can solve the issue.
Thanks, what do you prefer, microfibre and light water or...

Cheers
post #1074 of 1094 Old 07-05-2020, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 948
  1. Quote:
    Thanks, what do you prefer, microfibre and light water or...
Quote:
Cheers

Microfiber seems to work well for me.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #1075 of 1094 Old 07-05-2020, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Cheers and stay safe!
I'm much the same - last time I did a big re-org of the system, I bought a couple of TPLink Kasa Wifi controlled multiplug boards. So I can now power cycle an individual device from my chair if I need to.

Sony XBR-65A9F, Sony UBP-X700, Denon AVR-890 (cooled by AC Infinity AIRCOM T10), Apple TV 4K, HDFury Vertex, B&W 600 series & LM1s in 7.1 config, Harmony Elite, Hubitat Home Automation, Philips Hue lights
post #1076 of 1094 Old 07-05-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
[LIST=1][*]

Microfiber seems to work well for me.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsngaiouser View Post
I'm much the same - last time I did a big re-org of the system, I bought a couple of TPLink Kasa Wifi controlled multiplug boards. So I can now power cycle an individual device from my chair if I need to.
Thanks, good idea.

Cheers!
post #1077 of 1094 Old 07-06-2020, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,
Just got my player and found out that I cannot play wav files 44k1/16b (ripped CD's) from NAS. Hard noise!!
Anything else plays fine.
Config: PCM via COAX to amp.

Sounds familiar to someone?
post #1078 of 1094 Old 07-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Cheers and stay safe!
My M2 locks up regularly on both 4k and bluray disks. Did it last night toward the end of 1917 bluray from Redbox but has also done so on brand new 4k discs before.

I think it's just a crapshoot whether you'll get a player that it happens to or not.

With mine if you just wait about 30-60 seconds it'll power off on its own and you can restart the player and resume the movie so it's not the end of the world but it's quite annoying to be at a pivotal point a movie and have it happen.
post #1079 of 1094 Old 07-07-2020, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incindium View Post
My M2 locks up regularly on both 4k and bluray disks. Did it last night toward the end of 1917 bluray from Redbox but has also done so on brand new 4k discs before.

I think it's just a crapshoot whether you'll get a player that it happens to or not.

With mine if you just wait about 30-60 seconds it'll power off on its own and you can restart the player and resume the movie so it's not the end of the world but it's quite annoying to be at a pivotal point a movie and have it happen.
If it's that bad you should contact Sony and they'll probably replace it. I know they repaired or replaced the 800 series units that customers complained about.
post #1080 of 1094 Old 07-08-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incindium View Post

Thanks, good info.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page