OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #181 of 314 Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhenryatgmail View Post
I have reprogrammed the red and green buttons on the bottom of my Harmony touch to do the Dolby vision on and off sequences. I used 1 second delays every time I used the select command with the exception of the DV on Sequence I had to use one 6 second delay after selecting "On" in the Dolby Vision menu as it pops up the 3D disabled message that stays on the screen for a few seconds, 5 second delay was not enough but 6 seconds did the trick.
Thanks. I actually got it to work with experimenting a bit. Adding the delays just seem to slow the whole thing down so what I ended up doing is adding a few extra "down" commands during the portions where the system is switching menus from the home screen to settings etc. They sort of act as a quick delay while the system is thinking. I can post exactly what I did when I am home tonight and can look at the Harmony software. Once I got it right, I tried turning DV off and on half a dozen times and it worked every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 314 Old 06-03-2019, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The difference between UHD and BD can vary by title. In many cases, its a marginal upgrade. Depending on which Cap America and Jumanji titles you are testing, Bluray.com reports that these aren't the best UHD upgrades. Plus if your Oppo is doing a great job of upscaling, that might narrow the gap further.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Capta...lu-ray/226350/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Juman...lu-ray/194075/
Ahh. Great link. That makes me feel better. Off now to find a title that will show the difference. Thankyou!

Sony 900E, Marantz SR5011, Oppo 105 universal, Sony 800m2, Statement Monitors, Zaph ZA5 Center, Comody Speedsters surrounds.
post #183 of 314 Old 06-03-2019, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is this and the previous 800 a server device as well? I have the sony 800 and whenever I go to look at pictures or video that downloaded from my camera to my nas through my roku, my sony uhd player shows up as one of the possible devices that I can stream from.

YOU ARE HERE! Life EXISTS and Identity! That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and YOU... may contribute a verse. ......what will your verse be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 314 Old 06-03-2019, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollypoint View Post
Switch between the hdmi inputs. Cannot tell a difference. TV display says both are 4k inputs (Oppo upscales). I had assumed UHD colors would really come alive. Looks the same as HD blueray. Still a great picture, just not noticeably better.

Tried the same test with Jumanji. Great picture, not noticeably better.

Unless I can find the magic setting not sure why I’m keeping the 800m2.
Looks like you are watching SDR on both accounts. Why is that?
I can not imagine how can one not notice the display switching between SDR and HDR modes and becoming much brighter. Added color pop may be less noticeable but the increase in contrast should be easily noticeable.
post #185 of 314 Old 06-04-2019, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
So, I’m still trying to make UHD pop on the 800m2.

I have the HD blueray version of Cap America and the 4k UHD version. The Oppo 105 plays the HD Blueray directly into hdmi4 on the Sony 900e; the 800m2 plays the UHD version directly into hdmi2. Both inputs have the same settings (including enhanced hdmi). Both pictures are just amazing.

Picked the final scene when Cap America wakes up in modern Times Square. Switch between the hdmi inputs. Cannot tell a difference. TV display says both are 4k inputs (Oppo upscales). I had assumed UHD colors would really come alive. Looks the same as HD blueray. Still a great picture, just not noticeably better.

Tried the same test with Jumanji. Great picture, not noticeably better.

Unless I can find the magic setting not sure why I’m keeping the 800m2.
Maybe a silly question but have you upgraded your HDMI cables? Are you using 1080p cables?
Also have you set your HDMI settings on the tv to enhanced? Something doesn’t sound right.

Rent Aquaman on 4K Disc, or buy it. Throw that in your 4K player and see what you think.

HT 7.1.4: Sony X940E, Marantz SR8012, LR: JBL Studio 580's, C: JBL Studio 520c, Surrounds and Rears: JBL Studio 530's, ATMOS: JBL Studio 210's, Sub: HSU VTF-3 mk5
MB 5.1: Sony 55" X950G, Denon X3500H, LR/Surrounds: JBL Studio 270’s, C: JBL Studio 235c, Sub: HSU VTF-2 mk5
Living Room/Office 5.1: Sony 49" 900E's, HTNT5's with wireless rear channels
post #186 of 314 Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Only reason I post this in the 800m2 thread is because it seems that this model is more readily available and up for more reviews. So is there any talk that the Vudu app would join this player like its previous counter parts? (only reason why I have not upgraded my 1000) Also, maybe if we consumers that “own the UHD version” can we stream the UHD version on the app? Am I asking for too much? Or for what I paid for?
post #187 of 314 Old 06-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Just got the M2 a few days ago. Logged into Netflix and could not exit the app nor would powering off via the remote work. Had to unplug the player and seemed to work good after that.

Does the quick power up affect anything other than using a little more energy? Recommended or not?
post #188 of 314 Old 06-06-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Just got the M2 a few days ago. Logged into Netflix and could not exit the app nor would powering off via the remote work. Had to unplug the player and seemed to work good after that.

Does the quick power up affect anything other than using a little more energy? Recommended or not?
I turned it off a week ago. The only thing I noticed is that it takes a little longer to start up and then I have to wait for it to establish an Internet connection. Maybe an improvement but two days ago Netflix froze on me again. I'm thinking of turning the quick start back on.
post #189 of 314 Old 06-06-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
I turned it off a week ago. The only thing I noticed is that it takes a little longer to start up and then I have to wait for it to establish an Internet connection. Maybe an improvement but two days ago Netflix froze on me again. I'm thinking of turning the quick start back on.
I noticed that the 800M2 will randomly not power on with Quick Start: ON. I literally have to unplug and reinsert the power plug to get the player back up and running. This happens after multiple hours of being in Quick Mode - Standby. Very annoying to say the least.
post #190 of 314 Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Earlier this week I posted on the sony x800m2 owners thread a query on why I didn’t see a big difference in UHD from my brand new 800m2 versus HD blueray from my oppo 105. I posted the same query on the Sony 900e owners thread.

I learned that the titles I was comparing weren’t very good exemplars (https://www.blu-ray.com/4k/). I also learned, from responses and from reviewing this same site, that there are not that many titles that show an appreciable difference in PQ from HD blueray to UHD blueray. This surprised me.

I decided to try Planet Earth 2 and the first Disney reboot of Star Wars as they appeared to be better UHD examples. I watched Planet Earth 2 with the 800m2 on the 900e. The 800m2 goes directly to input 2 on the 900e, and, yes, that is a certified hdmi 2.0 cable and the TV confirms both 4k input and HDR. It is a jaw dropping video, the PQ is just amazing. Highly recommend.

I also bought the regular HD blueray. This was played on an Oppo 105 with hdmi directly to TV input 4 with the same settings. (Obviously when hdr is detected on input 2 that changes brightness, etc. so they are not exact in playback). Again the PQ was just stunning. But when scenes were compared back and forth to the 800m2 there were noticeable differences; the sand under the lions paw was crisper, more textile, and the colors in the city scenes were more vibrant on the 800m2. These differences were noticeable, and better, but not huge.

On the Star Wars videos, I saw even less of a difference (there was some) but I thought the scenes that were primarily CG looked more CGish with the UHD HDR version than in HD. I could easily watch both, though.

Based on this unscientific limited 4 disc comparison, I plan to return this very nice UHD player because, basically, the PQ on the 900e is so good on plain HD sources. No knock on the 800m2, I like its build and how it performed, but I’ll revisit this when the UHD source material is more consistent and mature.

YMMV. Thanks for your responses, I learned a lot.
anwsmh and Rocket2294 like this.

Sony 900E, Marantz SR5011, Oppo 105 universal, Sony 800m2, Statement Monitors, Zaph ZA5 Center, Comody Speedsters surrounds.
post #191 of 314 Old 06-08-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Based on this unscientific limited 4 disc comparison, I plan to return this very nice UHD player because, basically, the PQ on the 900e is so good on plain HD sources. No knock on the 800m2, I like its build and how it performed, but I’ll revisit this when the UHD source material is more consistent and mature.

YMMV. Thanks for your responses, I learned a lot.
You're basically right, except you will be missing out on the best aspect of UHD TV's. There is much more to UHD video than just increased resolution. To quote the marketing, UHD adds "High Dynamic Range (HDR), Wider Color Spectrum, and Color Bit Depth". The combo of 4K resolution + HDR + more colors can be spectacular. The problem is that it can also be just slightly better than HD. My feeling is that if the 800M2 performs as well as your Oppo 105 with HD material, then I'd keep the Sony.
aaronwt, Transistorious and anwsmh like this.
post #192 of 314 Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just some perspective for those scanning the forums...

Picked this up about two weeks ago, and is a keeper for me. Overall for the price point, it does a lot of things I want in a single deck. I have a bunch of SACDs and DVD-As and Blu-ray audio dics- this thing can tackle them all. The 4k discs play fine without issue. The lack of streaming apps is not a big deal to me, since I have an Apple TV which is probably a better streamer anyway.

The biggest issue with the player is no auto switching to Dolby Vision. The real problem for me, is not that it is difficult or that time consuming to toggle on/off manually - that only takes maybe 20 seconds. It's figuring out if the disc has Dolby vision in the first place.

The DV info isn't very apparent on the disc or cover... Literally searching up and down to tell. Sometimes it's a logo, sometimes it's somewhere in the details. A real pain. The player doesn't help in this regard either, if you pop a DV disc in with the toggle off, the display menu doesn't tell you it's encoded with DV- just HDR.

What I found works for me, I picked up this app called MyMovies- basically a cataloging/collection app. There's probably a few different ones out there. You can scan the barcodes and it will add the movie to your library, with alot of info. I did my whole collection in less than 10 minutes. Then, you can set custom filters on a ton of fields, including Dolby Vision. From there it's just a quick look to see if the disc is encoded or not.

Maybe someday Sony will fix this, but for now this setup works for me.
post #193 of 314 Old 06-09-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroharmony View Post

Picked this up about two weeks ago, and is a keeper for me. Overall for the price point, it does a lot of things I want in a single deck. I have a bunch of SACDs and DVD-As and Blu-ray audio dics- this thing can tackle them all. The 4k discs play fine without issue. The lack of streaming apps is not a big deal to me, since I have an Apple TV which is probably a better streamer anyway.

The biggest issue with the player is no auto switching to Dolby Vision. The real problem for me, is not that it is difficult or that time consuming to toggle on/off manually - that only takes maybe 20 seconds. It's figuring out if the disc has Dolby vision in the first place.

The DV info isn't very apparent on the disc or cover... Literally searching up and down to tell. Sometimes it's a logo, sometimes it's somewhere in the details. A real pain. The player doesn't help in this regard either, if you pop a DV disc in with the toggle off, the display menu doesn't tell you it's encoded with DV- just HDR.

What I found works for me, I picked up this app called MyMovies- basically a cataloging/collection app. There's probably a few different ones out there. You can scan the barcodes and it will add the movie to your library, with alot of info. I did my whole collection in less than 10 minutes. Then, you can set custom filters on a ton of fields, including Dolby Vision. From there it's just a quick look to see if the disc is encoded or not.

Maybe for the 11th time, there's nothing to fix. This is how Sony intends users use it 🙂 #dealwithit lols. Nice find on the app btw, the thread creator should include that on the first post to help many owners.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
post #194 of 314 Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Maybe for the 11th time, there's nothing to fix. This is how Sony intends users use it 🙂 #dealwithit lols. Nice find on the app btw, the thread creator should include that on the first post to help many owners.
Bluray.com is easier.
aaronwt, Yellbean and anwsmh like this.
post #195 of 314 Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Bluray.com is easier.

Thanks for the tip on blueray.com. I use the site alot for reading reviews... wasn't very apparent they had a cataloging app as well. I took it for a ride today, and definitely has alot going for it. I like that it's linked to all the other good stuff on the site, like best deals on itunes, etc. Like I mentioned there are probably a bunch. For me, there's a couple things lacking which I've found handy in the other app- 1) batch scan 2) custom fields

The batch scan lets you pretty quickly scan dozens of discs at a time, and for the entire batch give the same custom field attribute. For example,
I have my collection organized in drawers (I call them A-H). So I can scan 10 discs and assign them to Location- Drawer C. Then when I'm figuring out what to watch sometime, looking through my collection I (or significant other) can determine that Overlord is in Drawer C. etc, etc etc

I have no affiliation with either apps, just some user experience for reference. If the bluray app added those two functions, plus the ability for custom filters could be worth considering.
post #196 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
While there may be nothing to "fix", the current process of having to manually enable/disable DV is a "usability" issue of the current interface. This can be validated by the numerous comments on multiple sites about the x700 and x800m2. Sony could choose to modify this usability issue through a firmware upgrade. BTW as evidenced by my signature I have no dog in this fight, no DV capable devices in my chain.
aaronwt, PlanetAVS and Panson like this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #197 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
While there may be nothing to "fix", the current process of having to manually enable/disable DV is a "usability" issue of the current interface. This can be validated by the numerous comments on multiple sites about the x700 and x800m2. Sony could choose to modify this usability issue through a firmware upgrade. BTW as evidenced by my signature I have no dog in this fight, no DV capable devices in my chain.
Yeah, and we could continue to talk about something they aren't going to change, over and over and over, just like the X700 thread. Oh wait...

There is a reason it is noted in the first post, it is what it is. This is also an owner's thread, not a place for people to come and say "I'd buy this if they would fix that".

Anyone that he been around AVS long enough, and Sony long enough, knows that if they planned to "fix" it, the 800M2 would have the "fix".

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #198 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Yeah, and we could continue to talk about something they aren't going to change, over and over and over, just like the X700 thread. Oh wait...

There is a reason it is noted in the first post, it is what it is. This is also an owner's thread, not a place for people to come and say "I'd buy this if they would fix that".

Anyone that he been around AVS long enough, and Sony long enough, knows that if they planned to "fix" it, the 800M2 would have the "fix".
People will talk about what they want to talk about. How do you know that Sony will never change it? Are you saying that consumer feedback is pointless?
post #199 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
Quote:
People will talk about what they want to talk about. How do you know that Sony will never change it? Are you saying that consumer feedback is pointless?
Actually, if you aren't an owner, and come here all the time saying the same thing, you can be made to stop. And yes, Sony does what Sony wants, if they planned to fix it, the 800M2 would be different. I am not going to read about the DV switch every day.

Topics like this should be handled in a Master Thread about the issue, not over and over and over again over 2 generations of owner's threads.
anwsmh likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #200 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Actually, if you aren't an owner, and come here all the time saying the same thing, you can be made to stop. And yes, Sony does what Sony wants, if they planned to fix it, the 800M2 would be different. I am not going to read about the DV switch every day.

Topics like this should be handled in a Master Thread about the issue, not over and over and over again over 2 generations of owner's threads.
Are you a moderator?

Thanks for creating the thread but you don't control what is discussed, as long as it is related to the Sony X800M2.
post #201 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 442
No complaints from me about it just hated it and returned it and moved on.
Transistorious and Panson like this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer LX-500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #202 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM

Sorry my comment prompted such negativity. This wasn't the kind of feedback anticipated. I was just trying to be helpful since I scan these forums frequently for advice, and thought it would be a good contribution for fellow current or future owners.
aaronwt likes this.
post #203 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Sorry my comment prompted such negativity. This wasn't the kind of feedback anticipated. I was just trying to be helpful since I scan these forums frequently for advice, and thought it would be a good contribution for fellow current or future owners.

Don’t let it get to you. From longtime experience, I can tell you the same subject will come up over and over again. There’s nothing anyone (other than a mod) can do about it and if it bothers anyone, it’s their problem.
post #204 of 314 Old 06-14-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Not sure this is the right place for this question but since I do have this player I figured I would start here.

Ia there a way to play a ripped Bluray off a USB drive and maintain the file structure with menus, etc?
post #205 of 314 Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Not sure this is the right place for this question but since I do have this player I figured I would start here.

Ia there a way to play a ripped Bluray off a USB drive and maintain the file structure with menus, etc?
Play a ripped bluray? Yes. Keep menus intact? No.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
post #206 of 314 Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Play a ripped bluray? Yes. Keep menus intact? No.
So it’s just not possible then? Thank you.
post #207 of 314 Old 06-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
So it’s just not possible then? Thank you.
To be specific, you can select any .m2ts file you want to play, so if you want to look at bonus features you can watch the .m2ts files associated with those. You will not be able to run the menus to select those however. Very few players can do that AFAIK. I have an old OPPO BDP-93 that can do it.
post #208 of 314 Old 06-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harync View Post
To be specific, you can select any .m2ts file you want to play, so if you want to look at bonus features you can watch the .m2ts files associated with those. You will not be able to run the menus to select those however. Very few players can do that AFAIK. I have an old OPPO BDP-93 that can do it.
Thanks for the info. I knew I could play the files right out of the folder, but I wasn't sure about somehow playing the whole thing as a disc basically.

It's kind of fascinating that the folder structure of a blu-ray just has the media in a folder and you can just click and play it like a file on a computer.
post #209 of 314 Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Sarcasm aside, internet access and a printer should make your DV decision easier:
https://www.nextgenhometheater.com/d...lu-ray-movies/
Five or six minutes to print nine pages should do the trick. I am not going to debate this over the app. There you have it readers/members.
anwsmh likes this.
post #210 of 314 Old 06-15-2019, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 823
does anyone know what TCP port the x800 M2 listens on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page