AVS Forum banner

OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800M2 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

920K views 5K replies 606 participants last post by  chise1960 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting this up now that they are in the wild, mine is on order from VE, hopefully shipping next week. It appears Best Buy may have them in store.

Product page:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800m2

Support page:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders/ubp-x800m2

Manual:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...43cf5641adf90fb7113c8029fdb0239/47408221M.pdf

Does DV function the same way as the X700: YES

App to help sort which titles are DV or not:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-...ners-thread-no-price-talk-7.html#post58159088

#5 ·
I broke down and ordered one from bb here Tuesday. Promise not to gripe about dv toggle. Bb site has six reviews already. As far as apps go just Netflix,prime,YouTube,nothing else. All other comments were positive. I think it will be a good backup to my panny. They had them available for pickup but decided to have it delivered.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
#16 ·
I've never really been happy with the LG UBK90 since I got it 6 or so months ago, I've been looking for a better player. Tried the Panasonic UB820 but it ended up being more than I need. I was looking for something in-between the 2 players so I was excited about the x800M2. It was unfortunate when it was discovered it had the same Dolby Vision implementation as the x700, (a player I never even considered because of it's DV on/off thing). But then I decided to be a bit more open minded and if the manual DV aspect was the only "bad" thing about the player and everything else is what I want, maybe I can live with it.

Having said all that, I hate to admit it but the manual Dolby Vision control is pretty irritating. My plan was to just leave it off at all times, unless I am watching a DV movie in which case I will go turn it on. I am actually a big DV Fan so I know exactly what discs of mine have it. But the trouble is the player autoplays when you put a disc in. So I either have to remember to turn DV on/off before putting a disc in, or stop a disc and then go do it.

Is there a way to turn off autoplay?

#20 ·
You don’t have to stop the disc to swap DV. Just hit the home button at any point and make the settings switch. Then go back to disc and progress is saved. I’ve been swapping back and forth regularly at any time during play. It auto pauses with home button.

Just not sure how autoplay is an issue? But I do wish I didn’t have to manually swap.

#17 ·
I haven't streamed anything with this player yet but I just watched two movies back to back and when I removed the disks they were much cooler temperature wise than disks were when I removed them from my X700 or the Sammy I had. I watch everything with DV on, one movie was just HDR and the other was a DV movie and they both looked great.

#22 · (Edited)
I don't have the M2 in my hands yet until later today when it gets delivered. It would have been nice if Sony could have made a change to the remote control unit by adding a dedicated "Dolby Vision" button for quick access to the manual switching i.e. Toggle On/Off.

Hopefully, some day such a button command, could be programmed into the wide range of Universal Remote Controllers out there such as my Logitech Harmony. I would be happy about it and dismiss the pain of having to manually switch via going through Settings etc.

Of course, better yet, offer a auto-switching feature via a firmware update to their software. One can dream.

#25 ·
I don't see how it wouldn't be. From a programming point of view it's a simple IF statement.

I just ordered the 800M2 from Amazon. Should have it by Friday. I haven't been happy with the LG UBK90. It's OK but it suffers from the raised blacks via HDMI Dolby Vision bug on my LG C8. It is my understanding that the profile used by Sony actually fixes this issue. Even if I have to toggle DV in the menu, I'll trade that if I can watch Dolby Vision with proper black levels.

Hope it all works out.

#27 ·
Just got mine today. Good build quality. 4K looks terrific. Will be using this only for 4K disc playback. No streaming or HD Blu-ray. Watched Aquaman in DV. Looks excellent. I know a lot of people complain about the manual switching needed for DV but I don’t find it all that big of a deal. When you start playing a disc it shows HDR. As another poster pointed out, it’s quite easy to then turn on DV after the disc is playing or vice versa. Yes, hopefully Sony will do a update allowing an ‘auto’ option for DV. Love the two free movies included. Highly recommended!

#28 · (Edited)
Received my 800m2 this afternoon from Best Buy. Got the 2 free discs which I already own. I also own the panny 820. You all know it’s features and at this time I am not. Doing an in-depth review. Over all it has beautiful picture quality both in hdr and Dolby vision disc i would give the 820 a small edge there because of its many picture controls including the hdr optimizer but it is a bit over kill. The big negative for me is the dv toggle and so far no atmos in the network apps. It’s build quality is very good and runs whisper quiet. It was an easy set up connected wirelessly to the internet and did firmware update with no issue. The panny is less cumbersome with Dolby vision except for its Netflix app. I love my Panasonic and despite some dislikes to me I like the Sony as a nice backup player. Pending any operational issues I plan to keep it. The way some vendors are discontinuing making them its good to have a good backup. My wish is the add auto Dolby vision, atmos in Netflix and amazon but wont hold my breath. As far as recommending the x800m2 as long as no issues mainly freeze ups or other issues develop its a nice solid player. Worth the money.

#114 ·
Because Sony never listens to their customers. Their own forum is full of customers yelling about the way they do DV in the X700 now this player. Even most reviewers say the same thing ''what were they thinking''? the X700s freezing issue as well as the player just stops playing. But this is the way big companies are these days ,if the customers don't push back, and review sites don't call Sony out ,nothing will change.So If anyone here buy the new player and these issues crop up , bring it back and get another brand or your money back. The only thing big companies understand is when you hurt there wallet If you don't push back ,it's on you. Sony as a company is not what it use to be. Now i'll catch some flac here for questioning the almighty Sony because forums like this won't call them out in a way to protect members from getting
ripped off or buying a product that's not worth the cost. All companies are interested in these days is getting in your wallet.

#30 · (Edited)
Someone asked a bit back about the Netflix and prime apps they both do 4k hdr with Dolby vision off with it on Netflix everting shows Dolby vision logo prime still hdr neither does atmos.

#40 ·
So I got an X800M2 to play with and I found that too determine if the disc has Dolby Vision encoding you should enable Dolby Vision output on the player, then start the disc.

Once the disc starts you press the "Display" button on the remote and the player will tell you if the disc has Dolby Vision encoding or just HDR, and that the player is outputting Dolby Vision to your TV.

Doing it the other way - leaving Dolby Vision off and pressing the "Display" button will tell you the disc has HDR encoding and that the playing is outputting HDR - it does not tell you if there is the disc is Dolby Vision encoded.

This is what it looks like when play Blade Runner 4K which is only in HDR when the Dolby Vision output is ON. You would want to turn Dolby Vision off so the correct HDR mapping is used.

This is Spiderman Homecoming 4K when Dolby Vision is on, the top area says the movie is encoded in Dolby Vision and the bottom are says it's being output in Dolby Vision. This is the optimal output for this disc.

This is Spiderman Homecoming 4K when Dolby Vision is OFF and HDR is ON, the top area says the movie is encoded in HDR (which it is)n and the bottom are says it's being output in HDR. This output will be fine, but from this state you can't tell if the disc has Dolby Vision.

I also tested Multi-channel SACD and it passed DSD to my Pioneer receiver.
DVD Multi-channel audio is output as MCH PCM as expected.

The build quality of the X800M2 is pretty nice - but it does NOT have an on-device display.

#41 ·
So I got an X800M2 to play with and I found that too determine if the disc has Dolby Vision encoding you should enable Dolby Vision output on the player, then start the disc.

Once the disc starts you press the "Display" button on the remote and the player will tell you if the disc has Dolby Vision encoding or just HDR, and that the player is outputting Dolby Vision to your TV.

Doing it the other way - leaving Dolby Vision off and pressing the "Display" button will tell you the disc has HDR encoding and that the playing is outputting HDR - it does not tell you if there is the disc is Dolby Vision encoded.

This is what it looks like when play Blade Runner 4K which is only in HDR when the Dolby Vision output is ON. You would want to turn Dolby Vision off so the correct HDR mapping is used.
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but it's my understanding that Dolby Vision is a superset of HDR10, and that in fact any Dolby Vision title has an HDR10 base that is used on a non Dolby Vision display.

So, extrapolating that out, if you use an HDR10 source disk such as Blade Runner, if you select Dolby Vision as the output format, all it'll be doing is outputting the HDR10 metadata even if it says it's DV. So there won't be any modification of the metadata and the display should be identical to if you output it as HDR10. The only variable I can see here is if there is some sort of profile on the display device that modifies display settings if the source says it's DV and not HDR10.

Is there anyone who understands the specs well enough to confirm what actually gets output from the player in this situation (HDR10 source, player set to DV output)?

Reactions: DataSquid
#44 ·
Keeping an eye on this player. I have both the original X800 and X1000ES and relegated them to secondary setups due to the too-often freezing/stuttering on new discs that often required unplugging the player (easier to do on the ES unit than the X800 due to the power cord being hardwired in). If they have addressed this on the Mark II player then it's a winner, Dolby Vision toggle annoyance and all.

Currently have an Oppo 205, UB820, and UB900 that I'm happy with but the 900 is a bit outdated at this point.

#45 ·
I finally got my new x800M2 set up. I tried out a few scenes from the 4K blu ray of Ready Player One. I haven't bought many Dolby Vision discs because of the raised black bug. I am happy to report I saw no signs of the problem. I went to scenes that I knew had the issue with the LG player and blacks were nice and deep. No sign of noise in the black bars.

The player itself is an upgrade over the LG UBK90. It has a much better build and much more responsive. I also found the upscaling to be better. the LG player looked good on most 1080p Blu Rays but could look off on others. For example, Pixar movies looked soft to me. I watched a bit of Up tonight and it looked much better. I tried the Auto1 setting and then turned off upscaling altogether to let the C8 handle it. I think I liked those results even more. The fact that I could send a native signal to the TV or to whatever equipment I might have is a welcome addition.

The player came with 2 free movies. Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. I watched all of Spider-man tonight and was very pleased with the performance. That only has HDR10 though. I don't really have a great desire to watch Jumanji again, but I'll pop it in tomorrow and at least watch a bit. It is Dolby Vision and will give me another chance to test whether I get raised blacks or not.

But, so far, so good.

#46 ·
Appreciate your thoughts on the new player. Thank you.

Is Anyone with a Lg C8 and UBK90 for sure going to have the Dolby Vision bug? I ask because I am not sure I have it. You mentioned a few known scenes in Ready Player One that show the bug. Would you mind listing those scenes?

Thanks.

#57 · (Edited)
I am experiencing an issue where I have to physically unplug the M2 unit from its power outlet and plug it back in for it to power on about an hour or so after it has been powered off. I updated to the latest firmware. I just turned off Quick Start and will test if that's causing the issue, because my original X800 had issues with Quick Start turned On (not starting up 100% of the time).

Has anyone experienced this? And is there a way to hard reset the M2 with physical buttons?

Update:
Leaving 'Quick Start' (OFF) seems to have corrected the issue. It powers on even after hours of non-use. It's up to Sony to fix the bug.