Sony UBP-X1100ES Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By fireball05
  • 1 Post By fireball05
  • 1 Post By Panson
  • 1 Post By CalJake

post #1 of 24 Old 07-05-2019, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Sony UBP-X1100ES Owners Thread

Just getting started and so far nothing but disappointment. Minimal apps. Dark screen. No option to force DV. Netflix appears dark
compared to watching on Apple tv. Watching Soldiers of Benghazi 4k. Looks better than Blu Ray version. We'll see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-13-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The one I just unpacked didn't seem to have rack ears, which I thought were supposed to be included. Does yours have them in some unique way?
post #3 of 24 Old 07-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Racks ears are sold separately. I Got the player yesterday from BB. I don't stream and even if I had the urge to do it, I'd use the apps on my Sony TV which are plenty. I think streaming apps on BD players are redundant these days and not needed anymore. The majority of TV's today comes with lots of apps, then you have Rocku, Amazon fire stick, Apple TV etc. BD players should only be for playing discs and so far this new Sony doesn't disappoint. PQ and AQ is on par with my Oppo 203 and operation is fast and smooth. They only negative so far is that damn DV manual toggle. I hope Sony listens and patch this up via firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 07-14-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
They only negative so far is that damn DV manual toggle.
I'm confused by what you mention about the DV.

If you're using a Sony 4K HDR DV-compatible TV, should you use the BRAVIA mode or not? I tried The Matrix, which has DV, with DV mode on, but I don't think DV did in fact turn on. What's the way to select DV?
post #5 of 24 Old 07-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I'm confused by what you mention about the DV.

If you're using a Sony 4K HDR DV-compatible TV, should you use the BRAVIA mode or not? I tried The Matrix, which has DV, with DV mode on, but I don't think DV did in fact turn on. What's the way to select DV?

Hmm, I'm not sure if you've been following the Sony threads but the manual DV toggle on the Sony players is well known. If you engage DV on the Sony it will force the player to output DV on ALL discs. Including Regular BD's, DVD's and UHD that do not have DV. Unlike the Oppo and Panasonic players that ONLY outputs DV when the players detects DV on a disc. The Bravia mode on the Sony players is automatically disabled when the DV is set to On.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-14-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure if you've been following the Sony threads but the manual DV toggle on the Sony players is well known. If you engage DV on the Sony it will force the player to output DV on ALL discs. Including Regular BD's, DVD's and UHD that do not have DV. Unlike the Oppo and Panasonic players that ONLY outputs DV when the players detects DV on a disc. The Bravia mode on the Sony players is automatically disabled when the DV is set to On.
The pioneer LX500’s and800 also have auto dv

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #7 of 24 Old 07-14-2019, 04:13 PM

It doesn’t seem to do this in my case. I have my player hooked up to an AVProEdge Matrix that can pass HDR but not DV. When I had DV on with a disc that has DV, it was viewable on a non-DV set. When DV is on with an AppleTV, it the non-DV set can’t play it. Is there a way to have the player display whether DV is being output or is there a setting on Sony TVs to display whether DV is being used?
post #8 of 24 Old 07-14-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
It doesn’t seem to do this in my case. I have my player hooked up to an AVProEdge Matrix that can pass HDR but not DV. When I had DV on with a disc that has DV, it was viewable on a non-DV set. When DV is on with an AppleTV, it the non-DV set can’t play it. Is there a way to have the player display whether DV is being output or is there a setting on Sony TVs to display whether DV is being used?
If your Sony TV supports DV, then you can go to "Notifications" in the settings menu and turn DV notification to ON. On the Sony player though, the only way to find out if it's outputting DV is to click on display on your remote.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-14-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Racks ears are sold separately. I Got the player yesterday from BB. I don't stream and even if I had the urge to do it, I'd use the apps on my Sony TV which are plenty. I think streaming apps on BD players are redundant these days and not needed anymore. The majority of TV's today comes with lots of apps, then you have Roku, Amazon fire stick, Apple TV etc. BD players should only be for playing discs and so far this new Sony doesn't disappoint. PQ and AQ is on par with my Oppo 203 and operation is fast and smooth. They only negative so far is that damn DV manual toggle. I hope Sony listens and patch this up via firmware.
My experience--Sony X800 apps not so good, Panasonic UB900 apps excellent. TV apps generally suck. Roku's probably the best bet for people suffering from Sony and most TVs apps.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #10 of 24 Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
If your Sony TV supports DV, then you can go to "Notifications" in the settings menu and turn DV notification to ON. On the Sony player though, the only way to find out if it's outputting DV is to click on display on your remote.

Which device has "Notifications" in the settings menu? I have a Sony x950G and a x800mk2 blu ray player. What does this "Notification" function do?
post #11 of 24 Old 07-27-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another jarring review for Sony X1100ES.

Quote:
In the end, though, unless its custom install features are an absolute must for you, the X1100ES’s lack of HDR10+ support, Dolby Vision clipping bug and frustrating Dolby Vision implementation make its $599/£749 asking price feel a bit hard to swallow when you can get the HDR10+ supporting, automatic HDR switching Panasonic UB820 for just $449/£299.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#189437415291

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #12 of 24 Old 08-06-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Got mine yesterday. Plugged it in today, says “hello” and then shuts off. Not a good start to things!
Panson likes this.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-07-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
That is normal. It only stays on, when you press the ON/Off button.
Says Hello,when yo plug it in.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-08-2019, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Pressing the on off button on the unit, and on the remote, doesn’t seem to do anything....
Panson likes this.
post #15 of 24 Old 09-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Can the X1100ES automatically switch Dolby Vision on/off yet?

--
Spoiler!
post #16 of 24 Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Can the X1100ES automatically switch Dolby Vision on/off yet?
No, you would have heard about it here (AVS) or here (bluraydotcom).

Related:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...316336&page=14
SpeedDemon likes this.

post #17 of 24 Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Can you output audio from both hdmi outs at the sane time, and if so, are both bitstream?
post #18 of 24 Old 09-11-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Can you output audio from both hdmi outs at the sane time, and if so, are both bitstream?
Hi,
To enjoy Bitstream (Dolby/DTS) signals, set Secondary Audio to Off and Digital Audio Output to Auto.
Via HDMI 1 [main] audio and video or HDMI main video and HDMI 2 audio only. Depends on set up.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-11-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 730
That makes it sound like it can only bitstream on 1 with video and audio or on 2 with audio only, so not both at same time?
post #20 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Such a shame this player could've been a serious contender for the main 4K player in my living room. Dolby Vision support castrated because Sony doesn't like Dolby, no HDR10+ whyy SONY? Its FREE NO ROYALTIES?? WTF COME ON!! Remote control is budget looking, not even backlit.

About the only good thing this player does is SACD Stereo AND Multi-channel. Annnnnnd thats it.

Anyone know if its possible to add HDR10+ support down the road via firmware update? I can't imagine its a hardware issue thats preventing HDR10+ support
post #21 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
Such a shame this player could've been a serious contender for the main 4K player in my living room. Dolby Vision support castrated because Sony doesn't like Dolby, no HDR10+ whyy SONY? Its FREE NO ROYALTIES?? WTF COME ON!! Remote control is budget looking, not even backlit.

About the only good thing this player does is SACD Stereo AND Multi-channel. Annnnnnd thats it.

Anyone know if its possible to add HDR10+ support down the road via firmware update? I can't imagine its a hardware issue thats preventing HDR10+ support
And don't forget no Gigabit LAN. All of this killed it as a choice for me.
Rieper likes this.
post #22 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
That makes it sound like it can only bitstream on 1 with video and audio or on 2 with audio only, so not both at same time?
Yes. One HDMI cable (main), one audio bitstream besides video signal. Two HDMI cables, both ports, again one audio bitstream in second HDMI in (main, only video). The idea is to separate audio from video to improve the outcome. Theoretically. Practically, I don’t think there is a night and day difference. You can try.

If I remember correctly the main is HDMI 2.0 and the other (audio only) is 1.4.
I am using one cable, main HDMI in, because I want to see the main preamp menu on my TV.
post #23 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalJake View Post
And don't forget no Gigabit LAN. All of this killed it as a choice for me.
Yes, true.
These are the reasons why my next universal player will not be 1100ES.
I am waiting CES 2020 to find out what happens.
Now, Pioneer LX series or Panasonic UBP 9000 (if you can live without SACD/DVD-A) are the only options. IMO.
post #24 of 24 Old Today, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RO View Post
Yes, true.
These are the reasons why my next universal player will not be 1100ES.
I am waiting CES 2020 to find out what happens.
Now, Pioneer LX series or Panasonic UBP 9000 (if you can live without SACD/DVD-A) are the only options. IMO.
Yep. I really wanted to like the Sony, but just picked up a Pioneer LX instead Needed SACD, since about 20% of my collection is in that format. It plays dsf files too, as promised, without issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page