Sony PS5 4K player conquers all? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
  • 4 Post By BillP
  • 1 Post By wookiegr
  • 6 Post By willieconway
  • 1 Post By puddy77
  • 2 Post By rekbones
  • 2 Post By megametaman
  • 1 Post By x-evil-x
  • 1 Post By goksucats

post #1 of 28 Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sony PS5 4K player conquers all?

Just speculating. The PS3 was once regarded as a top Blu-ray player. The new PS5 supposedly will include a 4k disc player and cutting edge graphics tech including 8k. I wonder if it will become the preferred 4k player (except for projector owners who use the Panasonic’s features). It might make for a terrific upgrade from my current Sony 800.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-19-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooBass View Post
Just speculating. The PS3 was once regarded as a top Blu-ray player. The new PS5 supposedly will include a 4k disc player and cutting edge graphics tech including 8k. I wonder if it will become the preferred 4k player (except for projector owners who use the Panasonic’s features). It might make for a terrific upgrade from my current Sony 800.
https://www.ibtimes.com/playstation-...or-ps5-2829179

We shall see.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 28 Old 09-19-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Sorry, but I disagree. The PS3 was considered an acceptable BluRay player, but never a top one (especially considering the lack of a usable remote). IMO, you'll always be better off with a stand-alone player than a PSx. And 8k graphics doesn't help you unless you have an 8k display.
guss2, Razor*, junior00027 and 1 others like this.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-25-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. The PS3 was considered an acceptable BluRay player, but never a top one (especially considering the lack of a usable remote). IMO, you'll always be better off with a stand-alone player than a PSx. And 8k graphics doesn't help you unless you have an 8k display.
Actually Sony has an amazing video remote you can buy for the PS3. It is RF so can go through walls and cabinets.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-25-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Any serious home theater enthusiast would never consider a gaming console as their primary video source . Casual living room or bedroom use is ok but not when you spent time and money perfecting a real dedicated home theater. Even a dedicated theater on a budget. They simply never get things right. People that don't care about how or what they consume media wise and just stream everything, it wouldn't matter to them since they took a ***** on the hobby by embracing such means.
Razor* likes this.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-25-2019, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
Any serious home theater enthusiast would never consider a gaming console as their primary video source . Casual living room or bedroom use is ok but not when you spent time and money perfecting a real dedicated home theater. Even a dedicated theater on a budget. They simply never get things right. People that don't care about how or what they consume media wise and just stream everything, it wouldn't matter to them since they took a ***** on the hobby by embracing such means.
Huh?

For years my primary player was a fat PS3. It worked totally fine and its output measured the same as the output from two other, dedicated players.

Also, I'm not representing or promoting a "hobby". I just watch movies.
post #7 of 28 Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 2159
Sony confirms the PS5 will have a UHD drive: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/
Quote:
But data adds up too. "If you look at a game like Marvel's Spider-Man," Cerny says, "there are some pieces of data duplicated 400 times on the hard drive." The SSD sweeps away the need for all that duping—so not only is its raw read speed dramatically faster than a hard drive, but it saves crucial space. How developers will take advantage of that space will likely differ; some may opt to build a larger or more detailed game world, others may be content to shrink the size of the games or patches. Either way, physical games for the PS5 will use 100GB optical disks, inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Bluray player.
Mister B.M. likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 561
One of Sony's biggest blunders was not to include a UHD player in the PS4. I totally disagree the Blu Ray player in the PS3 when released was a top notch player and with updates continued for many years before the hardware was too obsolete to keep up with current tech. It also had an excellent remote you just needed to buy it separately. Now they are late to the ball game with the PS5 but if done right should be a decent player. The PS3 was one of the major factors why BluRay won the format war.
goke313 and Flickpal like this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #9 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
No "usable" remote? What did people do? Put the disk in and just let it auto-start until it was over? I'm pretty sure unless you are a total dummy you can figure out how to play, pause, stop, FF, Rewind, return to main menu, eject, and change options all with the trusty dual shock 3. Most good theaters will have a universal remote which works with PlayStation. Or shell out $20 for Sony branded remote.

And it most certainly was considered one of the best Blu Ray drives at it's time. It was able to get firmware updates and didn't lack any abilities like some modern 4K players lack Dolby Vision or Atmos.

The other guy talking about it not being good enough for even a cheap home theater...what are you talking about? Back in 2006 you'd have to have bought, at cheapest, a $500 PS3 which had a Blu Ray drive. If you wanted a separate Blu Ray player for "better quality" movie experience, it would have been at least another $450-600. How much improvement in picture or audio quality would you have gotten? If you already planned to play video games and bought for both video games and movies, you'd be an absolute jabroni to spend an equal amount as a PS3 when I would bet money you couldn't tell any difference between a Blu Ray on PS3 vs any other top of the line Blu Ray player at the time. Spending the extra $500 on an amp or AVR would be so much better money invested. Of you don't want to play video games, a PS3 was probably still the better option since a PS3 would retain it's price much better than a dedicated Blu-ray player without an expanding library of video games. Didn't take long for Blu-ray players to reach $200 and then later $60. I used my original PS3 for a year and a half and sold for no loss. Never have I thought to myself, I wish I had benefits of a standalone player until my Xbox one S didn't have Dolby Vision. Guess what? I'll wait for PS5. Hell, lots of standalone 4K players still lack Dolby Vision or other standards. Yet, they still cost over $300 with missing features. Guaranteed when PS5 comes out it'll have all the features and cost only moderately more than standalone players but with far more features.

Of all the things to rag on someone for in the home theater, the use of a console as a Blu Ray player is dumb. I can see buying one or the other, but not both and if you like video games the decision is clear...buy a console and save money from a standalone player to put towards the tv/projector/audio.

"...for people who don't care how or WHAT they consume..."

Who the hell doesn't care what they watch? They just turn on the idiot box and watch colors and hear sounds come out and that's all they care about? People who stream are just watching first thing that comes on according to this guy.
goke313 and mttpalmer like this.

Media Room - Sonus Faber Sonetto V, Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Prime Elevation speakers, Marantz SR6011, Rotel RMB1585, Panamax MR5100, LG OLED 65" B7
Basement Media Room - Martin Logan 60XT, Martin Logan LX16s surround, Rythmik FV15HP, SVS PC12+, Denon X3400H, Epson 5040UB, Silver Ticket 110" AT screen

Last edited by megametaman; 10-09-2019 at 08:08 AM.
post #10 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Dont think a game system should be in a dedicated system? If a gaming system isn't in a dedicated theatre room there is some MISSING!!! Not sure why they hate on a system for its blu ray player the ps3 was one of the best at the time. There was plenty of reviews comparing it to a standalone player back then also. But hey we can hate things for no reason because we hate video games...
junior00027 likes this.
post #11 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
Dont think a game system should be in a dedicated system? If a gaming system isn't in a dedicated theatre room there is some MISSING!!! Not sure why they hate on a system for its blu ray player the ps3 was one of the best at the time. There was plenty of reviews comparing it to a standalone player back then also. But hey we can hate things for no reason because we hate video games...
Not at all what I said. Using a console as your dedicated playback source is not a good idea. No way in hell did I elude to not having gaming capabilities in a home theater. reinterpret man!
post #12 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
One of Sony's biggest blunders was not to include a UHD player in the PS4.
And yet, the PS4 Pro has probably outsold the Xbox X. Like many people, I was initially disappointed that the PS4 Pro didn't include an UHD player. The PS2 was my first DVD player, the PS3 was my first Blu-Ray player and I wanted the PS4 Pro to be my first UHD player.

While we the consumers may not have (initially) been 100% happy with their decision, it was not a blunder. UHD players were pricey in 2016 and few people had UHD movies let alone 4K TVs. Heck, most people, including me, didn't know much about HDR.

A year after it's release, I bought a PS4 Pro and an UHD player for (slightly) less than what my brother in law paid for his Xbox X. While the PS3 was a great BD player (We even bought a second one and the remote just for watching BDs), I'm glad I have a separate player for watching UHD movies.

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
post #13 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I just like having a separate standalone player to save wear on my gaming console. Probably a silly reason, but it's always kind of how I've rolled.
tenthplanet likes this.

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 UltraHD Blu-ray Player/ Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD / PS4 Pro / Onkyo TX-RZ830 / Paradigm CC-190/Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ Paradigm CI Home H65 In-ceiling Atmos/ JBL Studio L8400P 12-Inch Sub
post #14 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Completely agree! Take it from one who has spent a great deal of time money on a dedicated space and used an Xbox One X for a few months and recently changed to a proper bluray player. I didn’t know better until I put a dedicated bluray player in. The noise of the Xbox, mediocre implementation of ATMOs, and always waiting on updates finally got to me! The bonus is the superior picture quality of the dedicated player.

Who knows, may be the PS5 will be a great player but I don’t think it will match dedicated ones.
post #15 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I was a very early adopter of BD and bought a fat PS3 simply because it was the only fully capable BD player available at the time. None of the stand alone players of that era would support all of the features BD could provide. The PS3 was the only machine that would output bitstream, and could support all of the audio codecs. Later on, stand-alone players caught up, but the PS3 was always easily and automatically updated, and played every BD disc that could be played. I used iot for many years, and consider it a great value.

I recently went to a 4k capable projector, and went through a similar evaluation process of all the machines that were available..... and bought an XBox One X. I saw no PQ difference between it and an Oppo 203, and the XBox has streaming capability, which was much more important to my decision. And, only the XBox One S/X can stream Atmos. No stand alone player could do that, at the time I bought it. (Haven't heard of a stand alone player that can do it now, but I could be out of date.) For my purposes, 4k content will be more commonly streamed, and 4k discs will be less common. I watch a LOT more 4k content via Netflix and Prime than I do on discs. Mostly price-driven, and I've bought enough different format copies of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #16 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
I was a very early adopter of BD and bought a fat PS3 simply because it was the only fully capable BD player available at the time. None of the stand alone players of that era would support all of the features BD could provide. The PS3 was the only machine that would output bitstream, and could support all of the audio codecs. Later on, stand-alone players caught up, but the PS3 was always easily and automatically updated, and played every BD disc that could be played. I used iot for many years, and consider it a great value.

I recently went to a 4k capable projector, and went through a similar evaluation process of all the machines that were available..... and bought an XBox One X. I saw no PQ difference between it and an Oppo 203, and the XBox has streaming capability, which was much more important to my decision. And, only the XBox One S/X can stream Atmos. No stand alone player could do that, at the time I bought it. (Haven't heard of a stand alone player that can do it now, but I could be out of date.) For my purposes, 4k content will be more commonly streamed, and 4k discs will be less common. I watch a LOT more 4k content via Netflix and Prime than I do on discs. Mostly price-driven, and I've bought enough different format copies of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
There are some standalone players that can stream Atmos. Panasonic 420, 820 and 9000 to name a few. I always say if you can't see or hear a difference don't spend the money. Some people can and some people can't.

post #17 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'll be really surprised if any of the major games come out in 8k/60fps. Takes major hardware to get that done with any level of success. I'd be thrilled with 4k/60fps and really fast load times.
post #18 of 28 Old 10-10-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Welcome to two years ago Sony. Not sure why the PS5 having a UHD drive is a headline selling point being that the competition has had a UHD drive in their console for almost tow years. I mean I know a lot of people nowadays are opting for streaming over physical media but it would only make sense in the year of 2020 that the new consoles would have UHD drives.

Ed
Panasonic 65ST60, Onkyo TX-RZ830 5.1.2, OPPO BDP-83 region free, Xbox One X scorpio, PS4, eD[c]12 LCR, Klipsch R-14M surrounds, Rythmik FV15HP

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro
post #19 of 28 Old 10-10-2019, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Lets see if Sony adds dolby vision with. auto detect

65 Sony A1E-Oled - Calman Home Ent/C6 HDR2000
Denon - 7200WA - Mirage Speakers
Roku Ultra/Sony UBP-X800M2/4K Firestick
post #20 of 28 Old 10-10-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I have a ten year old 2nd gen PS3 that sits right next to my X800 UHD player in my set up and I use it pretty regularly, and it was my primary BD player for years, I bought the remote for it when I bought the player and both still work flawlessly ten years later. Honestly, with the exception of being able to play 4KBD’s I’d rather use the PS3, especially if your the kind of person that uses their gaming platforms to launch their streaming apps. My only gripe with the PS3 was that the remote had no power off button, you had to power it off in the menu. If PS4 played 4KBD’s I’d have bought one instead of my X800

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300, Adcom GFA 5006
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut).
PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
post #21 of 28 Old 10-10-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Huh?

For years my primary player was a fat PS3. It worked totally fine and its output measured the same as the output from two other, dedicated players.

Also, I'm not representing or promoting a "hobby". I just watch movies.
Me Too. I had the fat PS3 for $600 and a friend of mind got a Samsung BD1000 ($1100 player which he found open box for $850.)

His player never worked... it was so bad. Every time a new FW came out we were hopeful.

In the early days of the PS3 it was THE BEST Blu Ray player

Now,... PS5 is late to UHD BD and Sony makes great ones already. I'm not even sure the format will survive till next year but the PS5 could help if it hangs on.

-Brian
post #22 of 28 Old 10-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by goksucats View Post
I just like having a separate standalone player to save wear on my gaming console. Probably a silly reason, but it's always kind of how I've rolled.
now that's a reason I can bang with
post #23 of 28 Old 10-10-2019, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do UHD players work with 1080P tv sets? I want a PS5, but I don't want to have to get a new tv for it.
post #24 of 28 Old 10-11-2019, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
Do UHD players work with 1080P tv sets? I want a PS5, but I don't want to have to get a new tv for it.
Yes, no issues.

4KTV: Sony 65 930E Receiver: Pioneer VSX-LX101 7.2 Channel ATMOS/DTS-X Speakers: JAMO S 807(2) Fronts, Andrew Jones SP-FS52 (2) Rears, Center:SP-C22, Klipsch R-14SA Atmos Subwoofer: SVS PB-3000 Subwoofer 4K Player and Misc: Panasonic UB-820, Sony X700, Sony X800, Samsung UBD-K8500, Comcast Arris AX014ANM and Extreme 150 Internet and PS4 (6TB Edition)
post #25 of 28 Old 10-11-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
No problem. You just have to set output from the player to 1080p. You'll get no picture if the player outputs 4k to a non-4k display.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #26 of 28 Old 10-12-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
need:
UHD
Atmos for Netflix and Hulu
post #27 of 28 Old 10-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
There are some standalone players that can stream Atmos. Panasonic 420, 820 and 9000 to name a few. I always say if you can't see or hear a difference don't spend the money. Some people can and some people can't.

Hi. Here's my source for stating that no standalone players can stream Atmos: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ayer-list.html

Might be incorrect, or out of date, but the sheet seems clear.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #28 of 28 Old 10-18-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Hi. Here's my source for stating that no standalone players can stream Atmos: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ayer-list.html

Might be incorrect, or out of date, but the sheet seems clear.
I own the 820. It can stream Atmos on Netflix and Amazon Prime. The Panasonic players do not support VUDU.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page