Panasonic DP-UB420 4K HDR10+ (non-Dolby Vision) Blu-ray Player now available.. - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #331 of 782 Old 12-30-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst333 View Post
but I'm prepared to be happily surprised with the 420 on that

You will be very surprised, DVD's and BR's look fantastic with this player. Coming from a 10 year old DMP-BD60, and DMP-BD300 also on a plasma TV. Excellent upgrade both video and audio wise.
Can someone walk me through the optimal settings on this player?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Step by Step Theater Build - http://imgur.com/gallery/2tpaSru
My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
My Theater Build Thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 782 Old 12-30-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
@genaccmiller , are you using projector or TV?
Check out this post by @Dreamliner :
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57862190

post #333 of 782 Old 12-30-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@genaccmiller , are you using projector or TV?

Check out this post by @Dreamliner :

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57862190

I am using an Epson projector.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Step by Step Theater Build - http://imgur.com/gallery/2tpaSru
My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
My Theater Build Thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 782 Old 12-30-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 816
I have this posted in the UB820 thread but figured I should cross-post here as well.

I previously posted a guide very similar to this aimed at JVC projector owners, details on that here.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820 & SDR2020 (aka, the projector solution)

The Panasonic UB420 & UB820 are the answer for physical 4K media. With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with HDR shenanigans or titles looking 'dark'. The UB420/UB820 will make you think you bought a new projector. Configured with the settings below, your projector will not see a ‘HDR’ signal so it will not probably not switch to whatever Gamma curve your projector uses. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a ‘full range’ signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle.

The UB420 or UB820 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

For projectors the UB420 & UB820 are functionally identical (420 doesn’t support Dolby Vision but neither do projectors). I even tested disc load times and streaming times. The UB420 & UB820 are identical. The only difference I could find was the UB820 has DV support and Optical Down Sampling goes to 192kHz on the UB820 and only 96kHz on the UB420. I only use HDMI so that doesn't matter either.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820 Optimal Settings for Projectors (SDR2020):

On the UB420 / UB820:
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off (UB820 preference)

On the UB420 / UB820 During 4K Disc Playback:
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>HDR Optimizer>On (preference)
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment>+4 to +8 (preference)

Regarding HDR Optimizer, you lose some brightness but gain detail in explosions and similar. I started with this off but now have it on. Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment will depend a lot on your screen size, bigger screens will want more. I have left the other settings at defaults (so far).

On the Projector (JVC specific settings here):
Color Profile>BT.2020
Gamma>2.4
post #335 of 782 Old 12-30-2019, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson44 View Post
thanks for reply.
DP-UB420 setting are as follows:
HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode: Auto
HDMI(AUDIO) Output Mode: Audio Only

This is more of a nuisance than a showstopper. If I toggle the inputs at the receiver it clears it up.
Wondering if anyone else using both hdmi outputs ?

I have the same exact issue using 2 hdmi cables, but with a denon receiver. Same hdmi settings as well.
post #336 of 782 Old 12-31-2019, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Second player and the shuttering on YouTube hdr is continuous. In the first 15 minutes was playing nice but next time I opened started again. I think many of these pannys are problematic or needs to be addressed with firmware upgrade.
post #337 of 782 Old 12-31-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just bought a DP-UB420 and have a Sony UBP-X700 feeding into my Yamaha RX-V683 with the ARC out to my LG C9.
Signal out works with the Sony but not from the Panasonic. The TV recognizes the Panasonic but then the TV says no signal detected.
I've changed HDMI cables with no luck. Connected directly to the TV the picture is awesome, but nothing through theYamaha.
Is there a setting I'm missing in the Panasonic?

post #338 of 782 Old 12-31-2019, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailzer View Post
I just bought a DP-UB420 and have a Sony UBP-X700 feeding into my Yamaha RX-V683 with the ARC out to my LG C9.
Signal out works with the Sony but not from the Panasonic. The TV recognizes the Panasonic but then the TV says no signal detected.
I've changed HDMI cables with no luck. Connected directly to the TV the picture is awesome, but nothing through theYamaha.
Is there a setting I'm missing in the Panasonic?
I had a similar issue with my Oppo player and Panasonic UB820. Presuming you have both players connected to different inputs. Did the same troubleshooting as you with a direct connection. Turned out I had my Input Assignments wrong in my AV prepro. The player was connected to an unassigned input. Once I got the assignments right all was well. I hope this helps.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Marantz AV7704, Epson 5050UB, Stewart Firehawk 16x9 82"; Marantz Amplifiers: MM7025, MM7055; Paradigm Speakers: Premier 800F (R/L), Premier 600C, ADP-370 (SS), Monitor v.4 (RB, LB), PW2100 v.2, Hsu sub VTF-2 Mk5; Power Condition: Adcom ACE 315 & 515, Tripplite HT7300PC & HTRL15UPS; Other Sources: Pioneer CLD-D606 & DVL-919, JVC HR-S9600U; Cable: Redmere Elite HDMI, Monster Mi.2S, Kimber Kable.
post #339 of 782 Old 01-01-2020, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkongzoom View Post
I have the same exact issue using 2 hdmi cables, but with a denon receiver. Same hdmi settings as well.
Well then, this would appear to be an hdmi issue with the DP-UB420. I hope Panasonic releases a
fix via firmware update.
post #340 of 782 Old 01-01-2020, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I have this posted in the UB820 thread but figured I should cross-post here as well.

I previously posted a guide very similar to this aimed at JVC projector owners, details on that here.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820 & SDR2020 (aka, the projector solution)

The Panasonic UB420 & UB820 are the answer for physical 4K media. With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with HDR shenanigans or titles looking 'dark'. The UB420/UB820 will make you think you bought a new projector. Configured with the settings below, your projector will not see a ‘HDR’ signal so it will not probably not switch to whatever Gamma curve your projector uses. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a ‘full range’ signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle.

The UB420 or UB820 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

For projectors the UB420 & UB820 are functionally identical (420 doesn’t support Dolby Vision but neither do projectors). I even tested disc load times and streaming times. The UB420 & UB820 are identical. The only difference I could find was the UB820 has DV support and Optical Down Sampling goes to 192kHz on the UB820 and only 96kHz on the UB420. I only use HDMI so that doesn't matter either.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820 Optimal Settings for Projectors (SDR2020):

On the UB420 / UB820:
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off (UB820 preference)

On the UB420 / UB820 During 4K Disc Playback:
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>HDR Optimizer>On (preference)
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment>+4 to +8 (preference)

Regarding HDR Optimizer, you lose some brightness but gain detail in explosions and similar. I started with this off but now have it on. Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment will depend a lot on your screen size, bigger screens will want more. I have left the other settings at defaults (so far).

On the Projector (JVC specific settings here):
Color Profile>BT.2020
Gamma>2.4
Thanks for the settings
What about 1080p projectors?
As posted earlier, the only way that I could get a consistent signal was to manually set the HDMI output to 1080p.
That is, will your settings still work to optimize 4K Ultra Discs with HDR on a 1080p PJ?
post #341 of 782 Old 01-01-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Thanks for the settings
What about 1080p projectors?
As posted earlier, the only way that I could get a consistent signal was to manually set the HDMI output to 1080p.
That is, will your settings still work to optimize 4K Ultra Discs with HDR on a 1080p PJ?
If the UB420 is capable of sending SDR2020 1080 signal from 4K discs then I'd probably suggest that. I am not aware of any BT2020 1080 projectors. I am not certain of your situation but I'm sensing a HDMI cable issue.

My first HDMI cable from 2011 was 'rated' for 4K but was ultimately the cause of odd issues once I got a 4K projector. I replaced it with a Certified Premium HDMI cable because the run was short enough. Longer runs I suggest the RUIPRO. I do not recommend any other cables.

Don't forget about the rest of your HDMI cables while you're placing your order. Thankfully the Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI cables I suggest are cheap.

Buy the cables I suggest, connect the UB420 direct to the projector (for testing) and try 4K again.

If you truly only have a 1080 SDR projector, then you may as well just use the SDR709 option since your projector cannot handle SDR2020 anyhow.
post #342 of 782 Old 01-01-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredworld View Post
I had a similar issue with my Oppo player and Panasonic UB820. Presuming you have both players connected to different inputs. Did the same troubleshooting as you with a direct connection. Turned out I had my Input Assignments wrong in my AV prepro. The player was connected to an unassigned input. Once I got the assignments right all was well. I hope this helps.

After much scratching of my head I've found that it's the Yamaha receiver's first 3 HDMI input ports that are the problem. HDMI 4 and 5 work correctly with ARC. The receiver is still under warranty but I don't know if I want to go to the trouble of getting it fixed.
post #343 of 782 Old 01-01-2020, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If the UB420 is capable of sending SDR2020 1080 signal from 4K discs then I'd probably suggest that. I am not aware of any BT2020 1080 projectors. I am not certain of your situation but I'm sensing a HDMI cable issue.

My first HDMI cable from 2011 was 'rated' for 4K but was ultimately the cause of odd issues once I got a 4K projector. I replaced it with a Certified Premium HDMI cable because the run was short enough. Longer runs I suggest the RUIPRO. I do not recommend any other cables.
Don't forget about the rest of your HDMI cables while you're placing your order. Thankfully the Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI cables I suggest are cheap.
Buy the cables I suggest, connect the UB420 direct to the projector (for testing) and try 4K again.
If you truly only have a 1080 SDR projector, then you may as well just use the SDR709 option since your projector cannot handle SDR2020 anyhow.
Thanks.
I've been waiting years (since 2012) for a 4K DLP machine with powered lens controls and lens memory...
Our Sharp Z30K is only a 1080p PJ. However with a good DI and an iscan/Darbee in the chain, it is extremely sharp with good contrast. The UB420 allows us to play 4K discs and benefit from the Atmos soundtracks. When I set the 420 to output 1080p, the HDR slider worked fine (while playing a 4K disc). However, I'm not sure the picture was that much better (still pretty dark). With a true 4K display, I'm sure the HDR slider is more valuable. Perhaps Benq or one of the other DLP "players" will step up in the 2020s...
post #344 of 782 Old 01-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredworld View Post

To expand on my situation Yamaha has the 3 HDMI HDCP 2.2 ports wired as NON-HDCP 2.2 HDMI ports and the 2 NON-HDCP 2.2 ports wired as HDCP 2.2 ports.
Talk about screwed up, but at least ARC works flawlessly.
post #345 of 782 Old 01-05-2020, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson44 View Post
Hello , I just picked up a DP-UB420 and having audio issues.
I have player audio/video hdmi output going staight to Samsung Q8FN display.
I have player audio only hdmi output going to Yamaha RX-A1070.

DP-UB420 setting are as follows:
HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode: Auto
HDMI(AUDIO) Output Mode: Audio Only.

Couple of issues:
1- Getting audio from both of the DP-UB420 HDMI outputs simultaneously even though the users guide says
should be getting audio only from the 'audio only' output with the above settings.
2- Audio hangs up or drops out especially if I switch inputs and then return at the receiver.
When it drops out I can try switching inputs back and forth till it works or power off receiver to reset.
This seems like a hdmi handshake issue. My previous blu-ray had no issues and all my hdmi cables are fine.
Tried switching DP-UB420 to different hdmi input at receiver but issues follows DP-UB420.

Any ideas before I return the DP-UB420 ?
Does anyone known how to report issues to Panasonic so they could be possibly be addressed via firmware fix ??
I went to their support page but only see firmware download instructions.
post #346 of 782 Old 01-06-2020, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywalker1 View Post
I ordered a Panasonic DP-UB420 - it will be delivered around 4 January 2020.

Partly my order was to see whether I could play digital .flac files through its USB-IN port. Another reason is that my older Panasonic DMP-BD35 doesn't appear to recognize flac files, even when burned to a disk.

As for video, I was okay with my BD35, but I'm prepared to be happily surprised with the 420 on that. It appears I bought a lot of stuff 10 and 22 years ago; it's time to update, anyway.
@Jaywalker1

Thoughts? Have you played with it much yet? I know it's only been a day or two!

post #347 of 782 Old 01-06-2020, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi43 View Post
@Jaywalker1

Thoughts? Have you played with it much yet? I know it's only been a day or two!
Seems to be fine. As for playing my own music though it, it does work with two of my USB thumb drives and not with two others. Since I can't get AirPlay or MusicCast to work, this was pretty critical. (Yamaha Customer Support call planned for today.) I don't think it makes sense to leave a thumb drive permanently plugged in, though, so I suspect I'm back to burning CDs.

As I mentioned, my previous Panasonic BR player can't recognize .flac files; the UB420 does and plays them well, so that means I've either keep the UB420 or change to the 820, depending.

As for videos, I've only watched one BluRay, so far: "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines." It worked, but then so did my previous Panasonic. So far I've only played it with defaults and so haven't explored what it might do for me with other choices. On my 11-year-old Samsung PN-A650 plasma I didn't notice anything spectacular, but I didn't play the movies back-to-back to gain impressions, either.

I don't expect to use any of the apps, so I can't comment on them.

Edit: My old Panasonic remote works with the UB420 - that's a plus.

Last edited by Jaywalker1; 01-06-2020 at 08:57 AM.
post #348 of 782 Old 01-06-2020, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeak08 View Post
Can't get Dolby Atmos soundtrack to play/display

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it's actually playing and I just don't know, but I can't get the Dolby Atmos soundtracks on any of my 4K discs to play/display on my Denon AV receiver. I select the soundtrack but it only displays as Dolby TrueHD on my Denon display.

I've gone through the settings several times and I'm sure everything is set correctly. Only have 1 HDMI cable plugged into the unit in the Video/Audio HDMI port.

My Denon receiver will display Atmos when using my Apple TV 4K and playing something with an Atmos soundtrack on Disney+ so I know it's configured correctly.

Anyone else having this issue?
Did you ever get this resolved? I just put my atmos speakers back up, threw in Ready Player One 4K, and I selected the atmos track in the settings. So the movie starts and it says atmos audio selected but in the player settings and my receiver I was also only showing Dolby TrueHD (Onkyo avr). I saw some settings in the player for bitstream vs something else and wasn't sure if I needed to change these settings. Anyone else having this problem? I am going to try out some other discs later today.
post #349 of 782 Old 01-06-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Thanks.
I've been waiting years (since 2012) for a 4K DLP machine with powered lens controls and lens memory...
Our Sharp Z30K is only a 1080p PJ. However with a good DI and an iscan/Darbee in the chain, it is extremely sharp with good contrast. The UB420 allows us to play 4K discs and benefit from the Atmos soundtracks. When I set the 420 to output 1080p, the HDR slider worked fine (while playing a 4K disc). However, I'm not sure the picture was that much better (still pretty dark). With a true 4K display, I'm sure the HDR slider is more valuable. Perhaps Benq or one of the other DLP "players" will step up in the 2020s...
I don’t know if it does this automatically when the 420 is set to 1080, but the color gamut output should be SDR709 if your using a 1080 projector and does not do BT2020.

SDR2020 (on 4K projectors) and SDR709 (on 1080 projectors) should solve most “dark” issues. The HDR slider will fix the remaining pesky titles.

The JVC 4K projectors are very good.
post #350 of 782 Old 01-06-2020, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I don’t know if it does this automatically when the 420 is set to 1080, but the color gamut output should be SDR709 if your using a 1080 projector and does not do BT2020.

SDR2020 (on 4K projectors) and SDR709 (on 1080 projectors) should solve most “dark” issues. The HDR slider will fix the remaining pesky titles.

I have a 4k projector and it does not support 2020 color space. So my settings is SDR 709 and turned off HDR processing in projector.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #351 of 782 Old 01-06-2020, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.
As for 4K, it's getting harder and harder to resist the pull of the dark side (JVC). At least 90% of the content that we watch is 1080p; Netflix (BR/DVD) or HD sports on DTV. Some day Benq, Optoma or one of the other DLP people will get it together and offer a full featured 4K front projector. Or, the majority of content will go 4K and perhaps we will bite the bullet and go LCOS. Or, by that time, OLEDs will be available on roll-down 110" screens and front projection will go the way of the VCR
post #352 of 782 Old 01-06-2020, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave_rider View Post
Did you ever get this resolved? I just put my atmos speakers back up, threw in Ready Player One 4K, and I selected the atmos track in the settings. So the movie starts and it says atmos audio selected but in the player settings and my receiver I was also only showing Dolby TrueHD (Onkyo avr). I saw some settings in the player for bitstream vs something else and wasn't sure if I needed to change these settings. Anyone else having this problem? I am going to try out some other discs later today.
I am hyper sensitive to this sort of thing and even have the Info screen of my Denon AVR programmed to a button on my Harmony to make sure it’s set right.

I never had a problem with my previous UB820. When I read your post I popped Ready Player One 4K into my new UB420, selected Atmos in the menu and hit play. It was definitely in Atmos as confirmed by my Denon AVR Info screen.

I don't recall changing any audio settings from default and it’s currently on Bitstream.
post #353 of 782 Old 01-07-2020, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I am hyper sensitive to this sort of thing and even have the Info screen of my Denon AVR programmed to a button on my Harmony to make sure it’s set right.

I never had a problem with my previous UB820. When I read your post I popped Ready Player One 4K into my new UB420, selected Atmos in the menu and hit play. It was definitely in Atmos as confirmed by my Denon AVR Info screen.

I don't recall changing any audio settings from default and it’s currently on Bitstream.
I didn't get a chance to fire everything up last night so I hope to work on it today. I haven't changed any settings except for selecting Bitstream so maybe I'll try a factory reset to wipe the slate clean and try again. Thanks for the input
post #354 of 782 Old 01-07-2020, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave_rider View Post

I noticed that the info screen on the 420 will describe the audio output as Dolby TrueHD 7.1 when the disc is outputting Dolby Atmos. My sound bar will display Atmos in these instances and it's definitely Atmos. I seem to recall that Atmos is just added metadata to the Dolby sound mix, which would explain why the player is describing the audio as 7.1 many times. I am not the best person to ask about this, so hopefully someone else can clarify.
post #355 of 782 Old 01-07-2020, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I apologize in advance if this seems like a trivial question.
After checking out the UB420 with various disc media, I set it aside. We have a Roku for streaming, so the Network functions on the UB 420 are not of paramount importance.
However, on a lark I decided yesterday to check out the network apps on the UB420 and could not get the Netflix app to open...
The Amazon app seems "normal". At least it goes to the site and requests log in. However, when I try to open the Netflix app, I get a blank screen. I have had other Panasonic BR players where the network apps worked just fine. What am I missing? I have not yet tried a factory reset as it seemed premature. I figure that it's probably "operator error"
I searched the thread and Googled it, but so far no luck.
Can anyone help?
post #356 of 782 Old 01-07-2020, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I noticed that the info screen on the 420 will describe the audio output as Dolby TrueHD 7.1 when the disc is outputting Dolby Atmos. My sound bar will display Atmos in these instances and it's definitely Atmos. I seem to recall that Atmos is just added metadata to the Dolby sound mix, which would explain why the player is describing the audio as 7.1 many times. I am not the best person to ask about this, so hopefully someone else can clarify.
I noticed this as well when I was testing with Ready Player One 4K, the Panasonic Info screen says Dolby TrueHD, NOT Atmos. The Denon shows an Atmos input signal so I know the UB420 is sending Atmos. I almost never look at the Panasonic info screen since I verify with the Denon one.

If the player is able to see the difference, Panasonic should probably firmware fix the info screen to reflect Atmos, if they can.
post #357 of 782 Old 01-07-2020, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6191
Ive seen more than one device do this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #358 of 782 Old 01-08-2020, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just replaced a Sony x800 with this unit and IMHO, the disc picture quality is a definite upgrade. The HDR adjust-ability is top notch and overall performance is awesome. So far, no issues with freezing, etc. 1.60 ver. software. came updated already. Just a nice little unit.

C-Dub006
XBR75X940C, XBR60LX900, PDP5020FD, 3 other Sony LCD's
Polk, Infinity with Velodyne subs
3808ci, 3805
DP-UB420, BDT-101ci, HD-XA2
post #359 of 782 Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dub006 View Post
Just replaced a Sony x800 with this unit and IMHO, the disc picture quality is a definite upgrade. The HDR adjust-ability is top notch and overall performance is awesome. So far, no issues with freezing, etc. 1.60 ver. software. came updated already. Just a nice little unit.

The UB420 is a nice little unit. I also have a Sony X800 that has served me well for over two years. I simply wanted to try out the HDR optimizer feature of the player. I don't see much of a difference in picture quality, so I am struggling with whether to keep the 420. It is definitely a good player, and I've put a lot of discs (UHD Blu-rays, Blu-rays, and DVDs) through it since Black Friday and it has worked flawlessly. But then, so has my X800. So, while I like it, I am struggling with whether to keep it before the return period expires.
post #360 of 782 Old 01-08-2020, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
The UB420 is a nice little unit. I also have a Sony X800 that has served me well for over two years. I simply wanted to try out the HDR optimizer feature of the player. I don't see much of a difference in picture quality, so I am struggling with whether to keep the 420. It is definitely a good player, and I've put a lot of discs (UHD Blu-rays, Blu-rays, and DVDs) through it since Black Friday and it has worked flawlessly. But then, so has my X800. So, while I like it, I am struggling with whether to keep it before the return period expires.
I have an X700 and I bought the UB420 for the HDR optimizer to use with my UHD50 projector, and I guess it is worth it for that as it works quite well. Overall PQ is pretty similar otherwise. A bonus is that in Canada, the UB420 comes with a 4K HDR app for PrimeVideo, which the X700 lacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page