Panasonic DP-UB420 4K HDR10+ (non-Dolby Vision) Blu-ray Player now available.. - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #751 of 789 Old 06-10-2020, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
That's Bright Cinema. You'll lose the slider on the 5050 if you set the 420 to handle the tone mapping, which is what you want. You'll use the slider on the 420 instead.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
So you just set the 5050 to 8 or something and don't touch it again? I assume this is for discs only and you still need to manually adjust the slider when streaming HDR content?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 789 Old 06-10-2020, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreFlux View Post
So you just set the 5050 to 8 or something and don't touch it again? I assume this is for discs only and you still need to manually adjust the slider when streaming HDR content?
When you set the 420 to handle tone mapping, the slider on the 5050 is disabled, because you are actually sending SDR to the 5050.

post #753 of 789 Old 06-10-2020, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
When you set the 420 to handle tone mapping, the slider on the 5050 is disabled, because you are actually sending SDR to the 5050.

Interesting, I had no idea that's how it worked. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 789 Old 06-10-2020, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreFlux View Post
Interesting, I had no idea that's how it worked. Thank you.
This review applies to the 420 too. Read what Kris says about the tone mapping.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-player-review

post #755 of 789 Old 06-14-2020, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just got this player and set it up yesterday with my LG C8.

First impressions a little mixed. I can't really see the HDR Optimizer doing much. I think it's likely because most of my UHDs are probably mastered to 1000 nits anyway. I know the one exception is Blade Runner 2049. I honestly couldn't see any difference there either in the scenes I tried. But that still might not be the movie that highlights what the HDR Optimizer can do.

On another front, I'm not sure I agree with Vincent Teoh's suggestion to turn off the dynamic tone mapping of the LG C8 when using the optimizer. Every scene I tried it with looked better with dynamic tone mapping on. I saw his video where he displayed the differences with DTM and the optimizer in that scene from Pan. But that was a very high nit highlight. I wish Vincent would have tried a combination of the 2 to see what the results would have been.
What I'm seeing is that while the DTM might not do as good a job tone mapping from 4000 down to the 700 nit capability of the OLED, it works differently when it is tone mapping something that is much closer to it's capabilities.
In other words, let the HDR Optimizer do the tone mapping down from 4000 to 1000 and then let the DTM do it's work from there.
I'm just unsure about the whole thing.

The player also locked up badly in a scene from Midway, which I rented yesterday from Redbox to try on the 420. I cleaned the disc further and it still locked up at exactly the same place. I hooked my 800M2 back up and played the exact same scene and it froze for a couple of seconds and then continued. It handled it better, but I think there is something up with that particular disc. It is too much of a coincidence that both players had some sort of problem at the exact same spot. The 420 tends to be more finicky in this regard though. However, the Sony would randomly lock up every now and then even with pristine discs that I knew worked perfectly elsewhere. Which is one reason I was looking to switch players in the first place 😕

On the plus side, the upscaling in this thing is great. I tried out some Blu rays and they look nicer here than the Sony or the LG UBK90.

Last edited by Rogue74; 06-14-2020 at 09:28 AM.
post #756 of 789 Old 06-14-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
That's Bright Cinema. You'll lose the slider on the 5050 if you set the 420 to handle the tone mapping, which is what you want. You'll use the slider on the 420 instead.

I assume that you mean that you lose the HDR slider after setting the UB420 to remap HDR BT2020 to SDR BT2020 or SDR REC709 (setup -> HDMI settings). I assume that you'd keep the HC5050 HDR slider if the UB420 is set to send HDR BT2020 to the projector.
post #757 of 789 Old 06-14-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I assume that you mean that you lose the HDR slider after setting the UB420 to remap HDR BT2020 to SDR BT2020 or SDR REC709 (setup -> HDMI settings). I assume that you'd keep the HC5050 HDR slider if the UB420 is set to send HDR BT2020 to the projector.
That is correct.

DunMunro likes this.
post #758 of 789 Old 06-15-2020, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Has anyone have had trouble turning on the player sometimes? I do and I’ve had to reset the thing off and then it comes on normaly. But as long as this is “normal” behavior I wont worry

UPDATE: it happens when I turn on the UPS where I have it connected to. I then turn on the player and it makes more noise (fan?) than normal and the red light keeps blinking, but it doesn’t turn on. I have to power off and then turn again and fine.

SECOND UPDATE: I plugged it on another outlet and the same happened. It is as if it keeps searching something.

THIRD UPDATE: I did a factory reset, and remembered I recently turned web settings to wired instead of wifi in order to “disable” internet since I decided not to use internet access on this device. It turned on fine this time. Could that had something to do with it? Curious thing is that if I turned on via disc tray button, it ended up turning on fine.

FOURTH UPDATE: Nope, it keeps happening. Even after factory reset. Turn on and stays on red light blinking without turning on. I’m doing a new factory reset but this time with web service turned on, to see if it makes a difference.

Any idea of what may be causing this? Again, if I just press the disc tray it will turn on fine, but the problem comes when I use the power button.
johng likes this.
post #759 of 789 Old 06-16-2020, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue74 View Post

First impressions a little mixed. I can't really see the HDR Optimizer doing much. I think it's likely because most of my UHDs are probably mastered to 1000 nits anyway. I know the one exception is Blade Runner 2049. I honestly couldn't see any difference there either in the scenes I tried. But that still might not be the movie that highlights what the HDR Optimizer can do.

On another front, I'm not sure I agree with Vincent Teoh's suggestion to turn off the dynamic tone mapping of the LG C8 when using the optimizer. Every scene I tried it with looked better with dynamic tone mapping on. I saw his video where he displayed the differences with DTM and the optimizer in that scene from Pan. But that was a very high nit highlight. I wish Vincent would have tried a combination of the 2 to see what the results would have been.
What I'm seeing is that while the DTM might not do as good a job tone mapping from 4000 down to the 700 nit capability of the OLED, it works differently when it is tone mapping something that is much closer to it's capabilities.
In other words, let the HDR Optimizer do the tone mapping down from 4000 to 1000 and then let the DTM do it's work from there.

The player also locked up badly in a scene from Midway, which I rented yesterday from Redbox to try on the 420. I cleaned the disc further and it still locked up at exactly the same place. I hooked my 800M2 back up and played the exact same scene and it froze for a couple of seconds and then continued. It handled it better, but I think there is something up with that particular disc. It is too much of a coincidence that both players had some sort of problem at the exact same spot. The 420 tends to be more finicky in this regard though. However, the Sony would randomly lock up every now and then even with pristine discs that I knew worked perfectly elsewhere. Which is one reason I was looking to switch players in the first place 😕

On the plus side, the upscaling in this thing is great. I tried out some Blu rays and they look nicer here than the Sony or the LG UBK90.

Hmmmm. Im thinking of adding one as a secondary/backup player. My UBK-90 is still doing me good but I like to have a backup player. Overall, are you happy enough with it? I wonder if the Sonys are also worth checking out? Or I just get another UBK-90 which has treated me well.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #760 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Quote:

Hmmmm. Im thinking of adding one as a secondary/backup player. My UBK-90 is still doing me good but I like to have a backup player. Overall, are you happy enough with it? I wonder if the Sonys are also worth checking out? Or I just get another UBK-90 which has treated me well.
I watched a couple of more movies and had no issues with playback. I'm pretty sure my problems with Midway were specific to that disc.

I decided to rent Mad Max: Fury Road 4K UHD from Redbox. It's been a while since I saw it and it was one of the discs used by Vincent Teoh to demonstrate the HDR Optimizer.

I paused the movie in the same scene Vincent used in his test in this video:
https://youtu.be/oTw_Toh0PzA

The sandstorm scene with the exploding vehicle.

So this was a case where just like in the video, I could see the HDR Optimizer make a difference. Since setting the TV to to OLED makes the player tone map down to 1000 nits, and since most discs are mastered at 1000 nits, then it makes sense that I was not seeing a difference with the discs I had at home. It's really only going to work with certain titles. Mind you this is on OLED. With a projector you will see even more of a benefit.

Now what I did was I tried HDR Optimizer by itself, Dynamic Tone Mapping by itself, and then the two combined and I looked at the detail in the explosion. As I suspected, the combination of the 2 gave the best results on my C8.

The optimizer by itself did better than DTM by itself. But there was still some missing detail. Adding DTM on top of the optimizer brought out a little more detail in the center of that explosion. I think the Panasonic does a great job tone mapping to 1000, but the DTM does a better job tone mapping the image from 1000 down to around 700 than the TVs native tone mapping does.

So yeah, I'm going to disagree with Vincent on this one. Even though I'm not a professional calibrator and he's forgotten more about this topic than I ever knew. He's right that you should not use the DTM in place of the optimizer. But he failed to test both in conjunction and it clearly gives the best results in my setup.

I should note here that my C8 is not professionally calibrated. Maybe after professional calibration using the optimizer alone would bring out all the detail and there is no need for DTM. I can't speak to that.

So to answer your question yeah I like the player. I think that you won't see much of a difference in performance between the LG and this on most UHD discs. But on those discs with very bright highlights, it clearly performs better. And I do think it upscales better.
RoadLizard likes this.
post #761 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
I watched a couple of more movies and had no issues with playback. I'm pretty sure my problems with Midway were specific to that disc.

I decided to rent Mad Max: Fury Road 4K UHD from Redbox. It's been a while since I saw it and it was one of the discs used by Vincent Teoh to demonstrate the HDR Optimizer.

I paused the movie in the same scene Vincent used in his test in this video:
https://youtu.be/oTw_Toh0PzA

The sandstorm scene with the exploding vehicle.

So this was a case where just like in the video, I could see the HDR Optimizer make a difference. Since setting the TV to to OLED makes the player tone map down to 1000 nits, and since most discs are mastered at 1000 nits, then it makes sense that I was not seeing a difference with the discs I had at home. It's really only going to work with certain titles. Mind you this is on OLED. With a projector you will see even more of a benefit.

Now what I did was I tried HDR Optimizer by itself, Dynamic Tone Mapping by itself, and then the two combined and I looked at the detail in the explosion. As I suspected, the combination of the 2 gave the best results on my C8.

The optimizer by itself did better than DTM by itself. But there was still some missing detail. Adding DTM on top of the optimizer brought out a little more detail in the center of that explosion. I think the Panasonic does a great job tone mapping to 1000, but the DTM does a better job tone mapping the image from 1000 down to around 700 than the TVs native tone mapping does.

So yeah, I'm going to disagree with Vincent on this one. Even though I'm not a professional calibrator and he's forgotten more about this topic than I ever knew. He's right that you should not use the DTM in place of the optimizer. But he failed to test both in conjunction and it clearly gives the best results in my setup.

I should note here that my C8 is not professionally calibrated. Maybe after professional calibration using the optimizer alone would bring out all the detail and there is no need for DTM. I can't speak to that.

So to answer your question yeah I like the player. I think that you won't see much of a difference in performance between the LG and this on most UHD discs. But on those discs with very bright highlights, it clearly performs better. And I do think it upscales better.

Great - thanks for the detailed reply. I have a 65" E6 OLED so I suspect Ill see similar results as you even though your set is newer and likely performs better overall. I just have to decide between the UBK-90 which gives me Dolby Vision support or the Panny which upscales better and will handle some HDR titles better.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #762 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 07:24 AM

Sigh... just after 2 weeks of receiving my 420 I had to take it back to Amazon. The thing became full of bugs and I was not used to that with my sony x700. Sometimes HDR was off out of nowhere, specially trying to force trough ycbcr 4:4:4, which does not happens with the sony. I had to change HDMI cables but nothing. But what really made me worried I got a defective unit was the unresponsiveness I was getting more and more when turning it on, it just locked itself in starting for a long while and then shut down. Reading online my guess is the infamous F99 error, but since this model doesn’t have a display seeing this message was not possible. It took me to the point I was not enjoying the thing anymore, I felt anxious thinking what else I may encounter each time I used it, the sony at least gave me reliability.

I wonder if it had to do with the fact that I had it connected to an UPS terminal, which I always shut down and unplug every night to save energy. Although again, my sony didn’t gave me troubles for it neither.

I may consider buying another again, hoping I got a fluke. But I don’t know. I just lost confidence in the brand. What do you think?
post #763 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarilbo View Post
Sigh... just after 2 weeks of receiving my 420 I had to take it back to Amazon. The thing became full of bugs and I was not used to that with my sony x700. Sometimes HDR was off out of nowhere, specially trying to force trough ycbcr 4:4:4, which does not happens with the sony. I had to change HDMI cables but nothing. But what really made me worried I got a defective unit was the unresponsiveness I was getting more and more when turning it on, it just locked itself in starting for a long while and then shut down. Reading online my guess is the infamous F99 error, but since this model doesn’t have a display seeing this message was not possible. It took me to the point I was not enjoying the thing anymore, I felt anxious thinking what else I may encounter each time I used it, the sony at least gave me reliability.

I wonder if it had to do with the fact that I had it connected to an UPS terminal, which I always shut down and unplug every night to save energy. Although again, my sony didn’t gave me troubles for it neither.

I may consider buying another again, hoping I got a fluke. But I don’t know. I just lost confidence in the brand. What do you think?
It sounds like you got a defective unit. At its retail price point, Panasonic's QC may not be as stringent as people on this forum expect. After looking closely at the inner workings, I bought a 2nd player as a back-up "just in case". To make sure I didn't get a bum one, I switched my primary 420 to the bedroom system while making sure the "back up" was working properly. So far no problems. There's no question that it produces a great looking picture and the ability to adjust for different HDR mastered discs is a big plus. The picture is better (more accurate color and detail) than my Oppo 203, both for standard Blu-Ray and for 4K HDR discs.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Zidoo Z9s, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #764 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
Quote:
Sigh... just after 2 weeks of receiving my 420 I had to take it back to Amazon. The thing became full of bugs and I was not used to that with my sony x700. Sometimes HDR was off out of nowhere, specially trying to force trough ycbcr 4:4:4, which does not happens with the sony. I had to change HDMI cables but nothing. But what really made me worried I got a defective unit was the unresponsiveness I was getting more and more when turning it on, it just locked itself in starting for a long while and then shut down. Reading online my guess is the infamous F99 error, but since this model doesn’️t have a display seeing this message was not possible. It took me to the point I was not enjoying the thing anymore, I felt anxious thinking what else I may encounter each time I used it, the sony at least gave me reliability.

I wonder if it had to do with the fact that I had it connected to an UPS terminal, which I always shut down and unplug every night to save energy. Although again, my sony didn’️t gave me troubles for it neither.

I may consider buying another again, hoping I got a fluke. But I don’️t know. I just lost confidence in the brand. What do you think?
It sounds like you got a defective unit. At its retail price point, Panasonic's QC may not be as stringent as people on this forum expect. After looking closely at the inner workings, I bought a 2nd player as a back-up "just in case". To make sure I didn't get a bum one, I switched my primary 420 to the bedroom system while making sure the "back up" was working properly. So far no problems. There's no question that it produces a great looking picture and the ability to adjust for different HDR mastered discs is a big plus. The picture is better (more accurate color and detail) than my Oppo 203, both for standard Blu-Ray and for 4K HDR discs.
Thank you. I wonder what are the chances of getting a defective one again? Amazon couldn’t offered me an exchange since there’s not stock on the 420 at the moment, but when they do should I try again? I loved PQ on the player specially the HDR optimizer, but my most loved feature was the subtitles brightness setting XD
post #765 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Thank you. I wonder what are the chances of getting a defective one again? Amazon couldn’t offered me an exchange since there’s not stock on the 420 at the moment, but when they do should I try again? I loved PQ on the player specially the HDR optimizer, but my most loved feature was the subtitles brightness setting XD
You are pretty safe with ordering from Amazon, particularly if you are a Prime member.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Panasonic DP-UB420, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Zidoo Z9s, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #766 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
Quote:
Thank you. I wonder what are the chances of getting a defective one again? Amazon couldn’️t offered me an exchange since there’️s not stock on the 420 at the moment, but when they do should I try again? I loved PQ on the player specially the HDR optimizer, but my most loved feature was the subtitles brightness setting XD
You are pretty safe with ordering from Amazon, particularly if you are a Prime member.
Pretty right on that. And yes Im prime member.

Do these tech problems tend to be per unit or per batch?
post #767 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey everyone! Had this player for a couple months and it's been great. I was wondering something though. When I hit playback info and the info comes up I'm not sure how to read this correctly. I'll post a pic of the info during the movie Alien 4k. Is the top line what I what I'm seeing? YCBCR4 4:2:0/ 10 bit. I know the next one is audio and what's the next one YCbCr 4:4:4/12 bit. Is it what I should be seeing? So I guess I just need an explanation of what the top and third line mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200617_214411_1592441705791.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	2744174  
post #768 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daigle View Post
Hey everyone! Had this player for a couple months and it's been great. I was wondering something though. When I hit playback info and the info comes up I'm not sure how to read this correctly. I'll post a pic of the info during the movie Alien 4k. Is the top line what I what I'm seeing? YCBCR4 4:2:0/ 10 bit. I know the next one is audio and what's the next one YCbCr 4:4:4/12 bit. Is it what I should be seeing? So I guess I just need an explanation of what the top and third line mean.
I think this is correct:

Top line = encoding on the disc

third line = player output to the display

post #769 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
I think this is correct:

Top line = encoding on the disc

third line = player output to the display

Makes sense since I have it set to 12 bit as recommended in the setting of the player. I have the Samsung Q90T tv and it's a 10 bit tv. Should I drop the player setting to 10 bit or leave it at 12 as the setting suggests we do? Everything seems good on the 12 bit setting.
post #770 of 789 Old 06-17-2020, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Makes sense since I have it set to 12 bit as recommended in the setting of the player. I have the Samsung Q90T tv and it's a 10 bit tv. Should I drop the player setting to 10 bit or leave it at 12 as the setting suggests we do? Everything seems good on the 12 bit setting.
It seems to me that 12bit is slightly better than 10bit on my projector.
post #771 of 789 Old 06-18-2020, 07:31 AM

I would like to know what each of the HDR optimizer controls really does to the HDR image. There’s no a concrete explanation. While I had my ub420 image looked to me more saturated in colors compared to my sony player, but dull in contrast and less exciting overall with the optimizer set to ON and in standard mode. But I think I could have push it to a better place if I knew how the four optimizer controls exactly work and what does each one of them do to the image.

I also have Spears and Munsil UHD edition disc. How could I use the ub420 with it?
blubaby likes this.
post #772 of 789 Old 06-25-2020, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have a new 420 connected to a Samsung soundbar, then connected to the TV via eARC. The TV can’t see the soundbar after the devices come out of standby. I’ve read it’s the Viera Link that causes it, so I turned it off. Now I have to switch between inputs because the player isn’t detected through the soundbar HDMI input right away. Is there another CEC setting I’m missing? Or any tips on using the Panasonics with Samsung in general?
post #773 of 789 Old 06-25-2020, 07:28 PM
ISF III Calibrator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
I have a new 420 connected to a Samsung soundbar, then connected to the TV via eARC. The TV can’t see the soundbar after the devices come out of standby. I’ve read it’s the Viera Link that causes it, so I turned it off. Now I have to switch between inputs because the player isn’t detected through the soundbar HDMI input right away. Is there another CEC setting I’m missing? Or any tips on using the Panasonics with Samsung in general?
Dealt with a samsung soundbar recently that wasn't handshaking well. Make sure you're on all current firmware for the soundbar.

ISF III Certified Calibrator
post #774 of 789 Old 06-25-2020, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:

I’m assuming you mean that you have a new 820 and not a 420.

You can use the dual HDMI output on the 820 and send video to the TV with one and audio to the Soundbar with the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #775 of 789 Old 06-26-2020, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
Quote:
I have a new 420 connected to a Samsung soundbar, then connected to the TV via eARC. The TV can’️t see the soundbar after the devices come out of standby. I’️ve read it’️s the Viera Link that causes it, so I turned it off. Now I have to switch between inputs because the player isn’️t detected through the soundbar HDMI input right away. Is there another CEC setting I’️m missing? Or any tips on using the Panasonics with Samsung in general?

I’️m assuming you mean that you have a new 820 and not a 420.

You can use the dual HDMI output on the 820 and send video to the TV with one and audio to the Soundbar with the other.

No, it’s a 420. Panasonic’s first bargain UHD player. $200 for the same features and processors as the the pricier ones, minus Dolby Vision. I checked, and it does have dual HDMI out. I might try that, but afraid it will cause lip sync errors. Could be wrong though.
post #776 of 789 Old 06-26-2020, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
No, it’s a 420. Panasonic’s first bargain UHD player. $200 for the same features and processors as the the pricier ones, minus Dolby Vision. I checked, and it does have dual HDMI out. I might try that, but afraid it will cause lip sync errors. Could be wrong though.

Apologies, I somehow ended up in this 420 thread thinking it was the 820 thread.

Anyway, if the 420 has dual hdmi out then what I mentioned should solve your issue and wouldn’t expect any lip sync issues as I have my 9000 and 820 connected this way.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #777 of 789 Old 06-26-2020, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 2538
Moved to correct thread

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #778 of 789 Old 06-28-2020, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Newbie here. I don't understand most of what you guys are talking about, but I got a 420 and set it up yesterday. I bought an Epson 5040ub projector and was told I needed something like this to optimize HDR. I have a couple of very simple questions, but would appreciate anyone who could take the time to educate me a little. I mostly watch streamed TV shows (Homeland, Jack Ryan, Succession) and some streamed movies. Occasional sports. I like a well-detailed, relatively vibrant picture. I am not the kind of person who will tinker, other than with aspect ration on my PJ, based on what I am watching. I am a set it and forget it guy. Here are my questions.

1. I used to use an Amazon Fire box for streaming. I purchased this unit thinking I could stream everything through it that I otherwise would, getting the advantage of the optimizer. When I hooked it up, it has Amazon and Netflix loaded on it. I had assumed that I could, like I did on the Fire, that I would be able to download apps like Hulu, Disney +, etc, but I did not see any way to do that. Am I missing something? If I can't, I suppose I will need a new streaming device. If so, is there a way to run it through this device, or will I have to keep it as a separate input? If keeping it separate, is there one out there that does a good job with 4K, HDR and Atmos sound??

2. I did go through the menu and set up a couple of things on the menu. Are there a couple of settings I should be looking to set and forget to optimize this unit for my everyday needs??

Again, sorry for the basic questions. Trying to do my best here with limited knowledge. Thanks to anyone who can help!
post #779 of 789 Old 06-30-2020, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thumbs up

Quote:
I would like to know what each of the HDR optimizer controls really does to the HDR image. There’s no a concrete explanation. While I had my ub420 image looked to me more saturated in colors compared to my sony player, but dull in contrast and less exciting overall with the optimizer set to ON and in standard mode. But I think I could have push it to a better place if I knew how the four optimizer controls exactly work and what does each one of them do to the image.

I also have Spears and Munsil UHD edition disc. How could I use the ub420 with it?
Cool
Did you notice any improvement in movement and sharpness too?
Reports say that the UB420 / 480 simulates a 60hz frame interpolation, and that there is a feature to sharpen the image even more, is that true?
Thank you.
post #780 of 789 Old 07-01-2020, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Can anyone help with the mkv support? I picked my player a few weeks ago and its been working great for my growing library of uhd discs.

I don't have too many mkv files I envision wanting to play; but that said I have been playing around with some of the SW fan edit projects and my Panasonic seems to be the only device I have that can play back 4k resolution files from a hard drive.

I can get videos to play but I'm not getting audio. I'm assuming the support for audio tracks is limited.

It doesn't appear that the video files I have have any advanced audio like atmos but it does look like the default is DTS.

Will it play dolby 5.1? Or is it perhaps limited to Dolby stereo?

XBL Gamertag - PVT Hicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page