Panasonic DP-UB420 4K HDR10+ (non-Dolby Vision) Blu-ray Player now available.. - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 128Likes

post #91 of 536 Old 11-28-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Picked up this player tonight to replace my Sony x800. Initial impressions are very good:

-Having lossless Atmos on Netflix is a plus played through my Denon 3500h. My LG C8 doesn’t have E-ARC so the app played the lossy version.
-HDR Optimizer tone maps better than my C8. Don’t really need Dolby Vision on the few discs I have as I will just use HDR with the optimizer and be pleased with the picture. I still have Netflix Dolby Vision option on the C8 but with lossy audio.
-My DVD Audio discs still sound very good with Dolby Digital so I can still use them.
-CD playback was surprisingly good and equal or better to the x800. High Clarity Sound is a nice option and especially with using the screen off function.
-I read where people are complaining about Netflix etc being always in HDR. I turned off that option in settings and HDR content plays in HDR and non HDR content plays as it should. Not sure what I am missing but it works correctly as far as I can tell.
-All discs and streaming options played quickly.
-Many more picture and audio quality options compared to the Sony.
-September 2019 build with the latest 1.60 firmware installed.
sarumu4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 536 Old 11-29-2019, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Does anyone have a custom shelf part number for their rack (e.g. middle Atlantic) for the ub420?
post #93 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 337
So Optimizer only works with 4K material? I watch a lot of dvd and blu ray discs. Any value to keeping it on all the time when viewing discs on my Sony Oled? If I stream 4K from Netflix app in the 420,should I turn on the optimized?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Picked up this player yesterday and I'm running into some funkiness that maybe folks on here can help with. First off, there's digital noise during playback in the form of flashes of small white specs; I've never run into this before so I'm not sure what the deal is but it doesn't seem like something a setting can fix. Next, the menu options are still partially showing during playback (see pic). I'm worried I got a dud but there may be an easy fix I'm missing. Anyone ever run into these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191130_161621.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	942.8 KB
ID:	2647636  
post #95 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural_Sex View Post
Picked up this player yesterday and I'm running into some funkiness that maybe folks on here can help with. First off, there's digital noise during playback in the form of flashes of small white specs; I've never run into this before so I'm not sure what the deal is but it doesn't seem like something a setting can fix. Next, the menu options are still partially showing during playback (see pic). I'm worried I got a dud but there may be an easy fix I'm missing. Anyone ever run into these?
Try a better HDMI cable. Also try bypassing any AVR and connect directly to the TV.
post #96 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I just ordered the UB420, based on the commentary in this thread. I will be connecting it to a Samsung Q80, so I'm excited to watch HDR10+ content on it. The HDR Optimizer sounds pretty awesome, too.

So if I'm going to use the Panasonic's HDR Optimizer, what picture setting should I use on the Samsung TV? Standard, perhaps, so that it shows the Panasonic's output directly?

Thanks!
post #97 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cant find the place in menu where the Panny asks what kind of display you have. All I see is you choosing the setting on optimizer when playing back a 4k blu ray from standard up to lighter picture. Does that only appear on higher end pannys?

Matt
post #98 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Cant find the place in menu where the Panny asks what kind of display you have. All I see is you choosing the setting on optimizer when playing back a 4k blu ray from standard up to lighter picture. Does that only appear on higher end pannys?
Not in front of the player now but it was in the settings menu early on. Google the player manual and all of the settings will be outlined in detail.
mattg3 likes this.
post #99 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So Optimizer only works with 4K material? I watch a lot of dvd and blu ray discs. Any value to keeping it on all the time when viewing discs on my Sony Oled? If I stream 4K from Netflix app in the 420,should I turn on the optimized?
It only works on HDR material.

Yes to the last question for HDR material.
mattg3 likes this.
post #100 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
It only works on HDR material.

Yes to the last question for HDR material.
Is it possible that we could be in the classic "Deadly Embrace" here? The Optimizer won't operate unless the stream has HDR bit indicators. My Roku won't stream HDR unless it senses an HDR receiver at the stream destination. Does the internal app work the same way?

Jack
post #101 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Is it possible that we could be in the classic "Deadly Embrace" here? The Optimizer won't operate unless the stream has HDR bit indicators. My Roku won't stream HDR unless it senses an HDR receiver at the stream destination. Does the internal app work the same way?
All of the apps on the 420 displayed HDR on my C8 when the appropriate content was selected. I set up the HDR Optimizer to be “on” for both disc and app content. I did a Netflix search for HDR and played a few titles to check and all looked fantastic.
post #102 of 536 Old 11-30-2019, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Player settings go to HDMI advance settings HDR tv type.
mattg3 likes this.
post #103 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
PQ on this unit is incredible. Compared to my Sony X-700. Picked up just to demo it and think I'm going to keep it.have the HDR optimizer set up for my LG B6.

Im considering getting this Panny player as a backup to my current LG UBK-90. I dont really care about the Panny not supporting Dolby Vision. I do care about 3D though since my 65" E6 OLED does a great job with 3D. I assume all is working well for you and your OLED with this player? I also have to use the dual HDMI output setup since my AVR is older but this player has the HDMI audio-only out so that should cover me there.

The player is on sale right now for a killer price and I want to jump on it!

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #104 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Picked up this player tonight to replace my Sony x800. Initial impressions are very good:

-Having lossless Atmos on Netflix is a plus played through my Denon 3500h. My LG C8 doesn’t have E-ARC so the app played the lossy version.
-HDR Optimizer tone maps better than my C8. Don’t really need Dolby Vision on the few discs I have as I will just use HDR with the optimizer and be pleased with the picture. I still have Netflix Dolby Vision option on the C8 but with lossy audio.
-My DVD Audio discs still sound very good with Dolby Digital so I can still use them.
-CD playback was surprisingly good and equal or better to the x800. High Clarity Sound is a nice option and especially with using the screen off function.
-I read where people are complaining about Netflix etc being always in HDR. I turned off that option in settings and HDR content plays in HDR and non HDR content plays as it should. Not sure what I am missing but it works correctly as far as I can tell.
-All discs and streaming options played quickly.
-Many more picture and audio quality options compared to the Sony.
-September 2019 build with the latest 1.60 firmware installed.
There is no lossless audio on netflix, no streaming service supports lossless audio. Doesn't matter if your tv has earc or not.
post #105 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 649 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4075 Post(s)
Liked: 3878
Panasonic DP-UB420 4K HDR10+ (non-Dolby Vision) Blu-ray Player now available..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural_Sex View Post
I had that problem too on my unit Friday. I replaced the 3’ HDMI that went from the player to the AVR and the random sparklies over the screen went away. My 3’ HDMI was a older HDMI cable, I replaced it with a high speed cable.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208 identical 1" tweeters, 52 identical 5" woofers, and 8 identical 18" subwoofers work in uniform to deliver an unquantifiably great experience!

Last edited by Archaea; 12-01-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #106 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 07:52 AM

My new UB420 doesn't reliably work for 4k HDR streaming on the built in youtube app. It locks up after a few seconds of playback. Bluray and UHD bluray work fine. (But more on that in the next post).

Can someone try and confirm they have the same problem with the Youtube app, or don’t?

open the youtube app
Search for 4K HDR
Play the Costa Rica 4K HDR clip - its always in the top three search returns. Mine locks up the whole player within 20-30 seconds.

Also the network streaming app interface on my 420 is clunky, clunky, clunky. It seems super slow — as in slower than my 10 year old roku!?!? Animations are terrible when you click on Netflix or Youtube apps and it zooms in - very clunky. Typing interface for searching is super slow. Its like its got too slow a processor. Not sure if that is normal, or I got a bad unit (because of the 4K HDR youtube lockup). The streaming functionality and interface is leaving a really bad taste so far and that was a selling point because of the HDR optimizer and Atmos on Netflix.

Yes its nice to have Dolby Atmos on Netflix, but if this is normal and expected UI operation I’m going to return mine. My $25 Amazon 4K firestick feels like an absolute race car compared to this UB420 app interface — and the UI and app support feels soooooo much more modern. This 420 comes across as bottom of the barrel quality. I’m not sure if my particular unit has an issue or this is normal?

208 identical 1" tweeters, 52 identical 5" woofers, and 8 identical 18" subwoofers work in uniform to deliver an unquantifiably great experience!

Last edited by Archaea; 12-01-2019 at 07:58 AM.
post #107 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 08:13 AM

Next concern regarding UHD and Blu-ray playback...

I bought two copies of The Great Wall and put one 4k UHD disk in my new UB420 and the other 4k UHD disk in my $100 LG UP870. I spent hours yesterday comparing the two watching through basically the whole movie and switching back and forth as fast as I could push DVD or Bluray on my AVR and the signal could lock in. I couldn't tell the difference. I called my 8 year old daughter down to see if it was just me. She couldn't either. I then threw in both Blu-rays of the same movie to compare, and it still was so close I’m not sure I could tell the difference between both upscalers either - though their might have been a small inconsequential difference that nobody would notice in real life without direct A/B. So the upscaling from 1080p to 4k concern is no carrot from my previous gear. Either my LG is good or this Panasonic is overrated. Since streaming interface and functionality appears poor (see previous post) that leaves HDR optimizer as the carrot.

Can anyone point me to something the HD Optimizer clearly excels in on the Panasonic? Its still new to me, but I tried immediate switching with 2 disks of The Great Wall, and switched a single 4K UHD disk back and forth of The Greatest Showman and Passengers to further compare and I can see a very small utility for the HD Optimzer, but this isn't some massive must have difference over my LG player that has no equivalent function. At this point I’d rather have my $150 bucks. Now I know people say this functionality was worth the original nearly $1k price of the original UB900 and thats the perspective I was expecting (tempered realistically of course). (For reference I thought the Darbee was worth $200 for 1080p quality increase — so Im not a “shun all enhancement” type enthusiast)

So far I’m just not understanding why this Panasonic player gets so much praise?

CAVEATS:

I don't have a true 4k projector. I have a Epson 5040UB that is a pixel shifter for faux 4K. Also I have the 10Gbps HDMI chip limitation on my projector, which to be fair may hamstring my satisfactory results — but then if I had the perfect 1000 NIT HDR display device I wouldn't need the whole selling point behind HD Optimzer.

So outstanding question is: what movie will sell me on HD Optimizer functionality?

Last edited by Archaea; 12-01-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #108 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Im considering getting this Panny player as a backup to my current LG UBK-90. I dont really care about the Panny not supporting Dolby Vision. I do care about 3D though since my 65" E6 OLED does a great job with 3D. I assume all is working well for you and your OLED with this player? I also have to use the dual HDMI output setup since my AVR is older but this player has the HDMI audio-only out so that should cover me there.

The player is on sale right now for a killer price and I want to jump on it!
Yes fantastic player for the price point right now. HDR 10 looks fantastic with the Optimizer, don’t mind myself the lack of Dolby Vision support. I’m sure this player should spin 3D movies with no problems. I’ve played Speed Racer 2008 1080p Blu-ray and looks phenomenal on my 55 LG B6. And sound Quality in my opinion is better than the SonyX-700.
RoadLizard likes this.
post #109 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I bought this mostly for the way the optimizer and HDR settings can change look of HDR on Netflix.I always found Netflix HDR to be dark and dreary but now I can change that to my taste!

Matt
post #110 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
You sure about that @Rysa_105 ! I have the 820 and get Atmos with Netflix with my Denon 4200.
post #111 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My new UB420 doesn't reliably work for 4k HDR streaming on the built in youtube app. It locks up after a few seconds of playback. Bluray and UHD bluray work fine. (But more on that in the next post).

Can someone try and confirm they have the same problem with the Youtube app, or don’t?

open the youtube app
Search for 4K HDR
Play the Costa Rica 4K HDR clip - its always in the top three search returns. Mine locks up the whole player within 20-30 seconds.

Also the network streaming app interface on my 420 is clunky, clunky, clunky. It seems super slow — as in slower than my 10 year old roku!?!? Animations are terrible when you click on Netflix or Youtube apps and it zooms in - very clunky. Typing interface for searching is super slow. Its like its got too slow a processor. Not sure if that is normal, or I got a bad unit (because of the 4K HDR youtube lockup). The streaming functionality and interface is leaving a really bad taste so far and that was a selling point because of the HDR optimizer and Atmos on Netflix.

Yes its nice to have Dolby Atmos on Netflix, but if this is normal and expected UI operation I’m going to return mine. My $25 Amazon 4K firestick feels like an absolute race car compared to this UB420 app interface — and the UI and app support feels soooooo much more modern. This 420 comes across as bottom of the barrel quality. I’m not sure if my particular unit has an issue or this is normal?
I am having the same issue with the You Tube app. I am going to swap the player out to see if another one doesn't have the problem. If the replacement has the issue then it must be prevalent. Maybe a firmware update would improve it? But maybe the processor like you say is too slow.
post #112 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
You sure about that @Rysa_105 ! I have the 820 and get Atmos with Netflix with my Denon 4200.
You get atmos on netflix, wasn't the point, lossless atmos was the point. Only way doing lossless atmos is embedding the atmos 3d core in the dolby TrueHD codec, no streaming service including netflix supports the TrueHD codec.
post #113 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
There is no lossless audio on netflix, no streaming service supports lossless audio. Doesn't matter if your tv has earc or not.
I was mistaken. My Denon shows Atmos but Netflix is saying their version of Atmos is at 768 kbps and is "perceptually transparent" but not true studio quality.
post #114 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Just picked up a ub420, so far I love it. It’s paired with my Sony 900e and passes through my Yamaha receiver. My only question for is, for the HDR optimizer is my TV considered Medium/High luminescence or is it Super?
post #115 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusaleen1 View Post
Just picked up a ub420, so far I love it. It’s paired with my Sony 900e and passes through my Yamaha receiver. My only question for is, for the HDR optimizer is my TV considered Medium/High luminescence or is it Super?

See above— is your youtube working correctly on 4k HDR?

As to settings theres more good info in the 820 thread. I’m still reading through this and trying to find a definitive answer. @Kris Deering has different setup advice than I was using yesterday.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...e-talk-26.html

Looks like the basic setting may be 350, then 500, then 1000, 4000 NITs or something like that?

Last edited by Archaea; 12-01-2019 at 10:09 AM.
post #116 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
I am having trouble getting the player to output audio from the audio only port. It seems to be stuck on hdmi 1 only

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I see you returned yours.

I tested audio out over the second HDMI on my unit and it worked as expected. You may have had a faulty unit.

post #117 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Next concern regarding UHD and Blu-ray playback...

I bought two copies of The Great Wall and put one 4k UHD disk in my new UB420 and the other 4k UHD disk in my $100 LG UP870. I spent hours yesterday comparing the two watching through basically the whole movie and switching back and forth as fast as I could push DVD or Bluray on my AVR and the signal could lock in. I couldn't tell the difference. I called my 8 year old daughter down to see if it was just me. She couldn't either. I then threw in both Blu-rays of the same movie to compare, and it still was so close I’m not sure I could tell the difference between both upscalers either - though their might have been a small inconsequential difference that nobody would notice in real life without direct A/B. So the upscaling from 1080p to 4k concern is no carrot from my previous gear. Either my LG is good or this Panasonic is overrated. Since streaming interface and functionality appears poor (see previous post) that leaves HDR optimizer as the carrot.

Can anyone point me to something the HD Optimizer clearly excels in on the Panasonic? Its still new to me, but I tried immediate switching with 2 disks of The Great Wall, and switched a single 4K UHD disk back and forth of The Greatest Showman and Passengers to further compare and I can see a very small utility for the HD Optimzer, but this isn't some massive must have difference over my LG player that has no equivalent function. At this point I’d rather have my $150 bucks. Now I know people say this functionality was worth the original nearly $1k price of the original UB900 and thats the perspective I was expecting (tempered realistically of course). (For reference I thought the Darbee was worth $200 for 1080p quality increase — so Im not a “shun all enhancement” type enthusiast)

So far I’m just not understanding why this Panasonic player gets so much praise?

CAVEATS:

I don't have a true 4k projector. I have a Epson 5040UB that is a pixel shifter for faux 4K. Also I have the 10Gbps HDMI chip limitation on my projector, which to be fair may hamstring my satisfactory results — but then if I had the perfect 1000 NIT HDR display device I wouldn't need the whole selling point behind HD Optimzer.

So outstanding question is: what movie will sell me on HD Optimizer functionality?
I would spend some more time doing a little research on the whole matter. This stuff is so complex that it is easy to have a flipped setting buried somewhere in the menu system that negates the whole function. Although the following link is for a different projector you might review it for the UB420 part:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57862190

Also, it's very possible that your lower spec projector and speed could have some negative influence on the results.

That being said, my first two passes on 4K HDR movies on the 420 were underwhelming. I have purchased a 4K disc, the first two were rented, just for research so I can find out what I need to do with all the settings to make it worthwhile. The purchased disc has an HD version also so I can do a comparison with that using my old Sony BR player. I will post my results when I am finished.

Jack
post #118 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is a video from Vincent Teoh explaining the HDR Optimizer function. He is discussing the 9000 but the only differences between that and the 420 is the lack of the 2 projector settings and no extra menu showing the HDR Metadata.

post #119 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As to settings theres more good info in the 820 thread. I’m still reading through this and trying to find a definitive answer. @Kris Deering has different setup advice than I was using yesterday.

Looks like the basic setting may be 350, then 500, then 1000, 4000 NITs or something like that?
That link does not take one to the Kris Deering post. Do you have a different link that goes to it?

Jack
post #120 of 536 Old 12-01-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
I am having the same issue with the You Tube app. I am going to swap the player out to see if another one doesn't have the problem. If the replacement has the issue then it must be prevalent. Maybe a firmware update would improve it? But maybe the processor like you say is too slow.
Quote:

I hadn't tested out stream yet, just DVD, Blu Ray, 4K Blu Ray. I just tried HDR Youtube videos, for example the Yosemite HDR video, and yes it locked up and froze. It's raining here, thought it might be an internet issue, but after some of the posts, I guess it's an issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page