Panasonic DP-UB420 4K HDR10+ (non-Dolby Vision) Blu-ray Player now available.. - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #151 of 185 Old 12-02-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@hd0823, to my aging eyes, YES! I think that the tone mapping done by the 820 makes a big difference to me.
So in a turn of events my buddy I'm helping with his first theater build bought one and suprised me and bought me one to for helping him. Should be here Friday. Cant wait to get it hooked up

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Mocs123 and femi like this.

Last edited by hd0823; 12-02-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 1949
That @hd0823, is a friend indeed! Look forward to your review of the 420 and JVC!
post #153 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I swapped out the player for another one at Best Buy and the replacement also freezes up playing 4K HDR videos from YouTube. The Costa Rica video played fine as my initial test and then I tried the Peru video and it froze up the player and I had to unplug and plug back in to get it to work. I will place a call with Panasonic customer service to let them know and maybe a firmware update can fix it. Netflix and Amazon Prime work fine. Not having YouTube is not a deal breaker for me as my C8 plays all YouTube videos perfectly.
Archaea likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 637 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked: 3759
I have my second player arriving today. Ill test it on youtube 4k - but with your results I don’t expect different.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #155 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
I swapped out the player for another one at Best Buy and the replacement also freezes up playing 4K HDR videos from YouTube. The Costa Rica video played fine as my initial test and then I tried the Peru video and it froze up the player and I had to unplug and plug back in to get it to work. I will place a call with Panasonic customer service to let them know and maybe a firmware update can fix it. Netflix and Amazon Prime work fine. Not having YouTube is not a deal breaker for me as my C8 plays all YouTube videos perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have my second player arriving today. Ill test it on youtube 4k - but with your results I don’t expect different.

The player should work, no question but I much prefer to use my OLED for streaming versus a blu-ray player. It seems the players tend to be more buggy and often get left out from updates after not too long. Meanwhile, my 2016 model OLED is still getting firmware updates & new apps to this day.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #156 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Picked this player up last night and watched conjuring 2 and it looked real clean and crisp on my c9 I cant wait to play with this player some more

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Mocs123, hd0823 and RoadLizard like this.
post #157 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All of the shows on netflix play in regular 4k or hd instead of hdr on my c9. I turned the hdr setting off on the player since it seems it plays everything in hdr on netflix even shows that aren't hdr similar to my old Sony x700 with dolby Vision

post #158 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea mine locked up soon as I played that Costa Rica vid within the first 5 seconds it has to be a glitch or something

post #159 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
All of the shows on netflix play in regular 4k or hd instead of hdr on my c9. I turned the hdr setting off on the player since it seems it plays everything in hdr on netflix even shows that aren't hdr similar to my old Sony x700 with dolby Vision

I did the same thing on my C8 because I didn't want everything in HDR and my set is playing HDR in HDR and non-HDR correctly on Netflix. Not sure your set wouldn't be recognizing HDR from Netflix even with that player setting off. And I don't really understand the "distortion" explanation the Panny gives in the settings menu.
macmane likes this.
post #160 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another issue I'm seeing is for some reason this player isnt showing hdr when playing films on resuming playback and now it seems it's just not playing HDR at all now eventhough I have an lg oled c9. Was watching black panther and it started out in hdr then once I resumed it wouldnt show hdr at all I've restarted etc etc checked everything and still won't show in hdr. Mite have to take this one back ha

post #161 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst333 View Post
Also wanted to add, i've read so many times "there would be no improvement to regular hd 1080p tv with a new 4k player". So i pretty much just but the player to play 4k uhd br on my 1080p tv for fun, and for when i upgrade to an OLED tv. But panasonic is on to something magical with there video processing with this player BR, DVD they just look stunning.
Yes I agree that sd dvd look amazing if you switch to SDR/BT.2020. I have a large dvd collection and they have never looked as good as they do on this player. Only drawback is making sure you change setting to HDR when playing Blu Ray discs.

Matt
post #162 of 185 Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can someone confirm:
  1. Other than lacking Dolby Vision, that the 420 has the EXACT same picture quality as the 820
  2. Has the HDR tone mapping to SDR (for projectors)

thx
JOjr likes this.
post #163 of 185 Old 12-07-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hi all, I picked up a 420 because of the great sale bb had and the HDR optimizer.

I hooked it up to my LG C8 oled, turned on the 420's optimizer on and to oled, turned off the dynamic tone mapping on the C8 and fired up The Dark knight uhd disc.

I tried a few scenes and could see zero change to bright highlights or dark areas of the picture between toggling the optimizer on or off. I then turned off the optimizer and looked at the difference between the C8's dynamic tone mapping on and off and I could clearly see at timestamp 1:22:23 the C8's dynamic tone mapping tamed the washed out detail of the street light over the Jokers shoulder. Turning off the C8's dynamic tone mapping and switching the HDR optimizer on and off didn't make any difference I could see at all.

Vincent Teoh, showed a clip from Pan, that really showed the HDR optimizer making a improvement on a OLED as I recall. I only have The Dark Knight, Predator, The Matrix, Alien and Bumblebee on uhd blu Ray to judge the HDR optimizer. Anyone have a clip from those that shows it actually doing something?

My C8 was on HDR10 Technicolor Expert mode with default settings.

Thank you for any input!
post #164 of 185 Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post
Hi all, I picked up a 420 because of the great sale bb had and the HDR optimizer.

I hooked it up to my LG C8 oled, turned on the 420's optimizer on and to oled, turned off the dynamic tone mapping on the C8 and fired up The Dark knight uhd disc.

I tried a few scenes and could see zero change to bright highlights or dark areas of the picture between toggling the optimizer on or off. I then turned off the optimizer and looked at the difference between the C8's dynamic tone mapping on and off and I could clearly see at timestamp 1:22:23 the C8's dynamic tone mapping tamed the washed out detail of the street light over the Jokers shoulder. Turning off the C8's dynamic tone mapping and switching the HDR optimizer on and off didn't make any difference I could see at all.

Vincent Teoh, showed a clip from Pan, that really showed the HDR optimizer making a improvement on a OLED as I recall. I only have The Dark Knight, Predator, The Matrix, Alien and Bumblebee on uhd blu Ray to judge the HDR optimizer. Anyone have a clip from those that shows it actually doing something?

My C8 was on HDR10 Technicolor Expert mode with default settings.

Thank you for any input!

Did you change the Player to OLED in the menus? From what I read thats of benefit to OLED users alone (for color accuracy) and you wont see that with the HDR optimizer toggle.

Also its not just on or off that makes a big difference- its the dynamic slider bar for the HDR that makes a big difference. Turn it up at least +4 and you see that it brightens up the dark areas on the screen so detail isn’t lost. Turn it down to increase contrast.
mattg3 likes this.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #165 of 185 Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Can someone confirm:
  1. Other than lacking Dolby Vision, that the 420 has the EXACT same picture quality as the 820
  2. Has the HDR tone mapping to SDR (for projectors)

thx

Thats what I’ve read and on Panasonics website comparing the two, the only difference noted is the DAC/rca output on the 820 and the Dolby Vision on the 820.

post #166 of 185 Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Thinking about picking up the 420 at bestbuy, I have the sony x800 right now. When using the hdr optimizer setting in the 420 is there any thing in the projector settings you have to change- JVC X-770R ?
post #167 of 185 Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you change the Player to OLED in the menus? From what I read thats of benefit to OLED users alone (for color accuracy) and you wont see that with the HDR optimizer toggle.

Also its not just on or off that makes a big difference- its the dynamic slider bar for the HDR that makes a big difference. Turn it up at least +4 and you see that it brightens up the dark areas on the screen so detail isn’t lost. Turn it down to increase contrast.
Thank you and yes the 420 is set to oled.

I can see what you're talking about with the HDR slider bar making a difference. However, in Vincent Teoh's demo we can see at 6:51 that the Dynamic Range Adjustment (slider bar) is set to zero before he demo's the difference by toggling the HDR optimizer on and off. It doesn't show in the video what the HDR setting was (Standard, Natural, Light or Bright) but since it didn't show I assumed it was the default Standard.

Since he said that Panasonic used Pan to demo the HDR optimizer themselves, I'm sure it was a best case scenario to show it off. I see info saying Bumblebee was mastered at 4000 nits so perhaps I'll see a difference with it. I'd like to confirm that the player is a fully working unit before the return window.

Thanks again!
post #168 of 185 Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
One thing that is i can't stand about this player is the Auto Shut Down, that can't be turned off. It's just insane, we often like to pause and research actors/other movies, and other stuff (food/bathroom). Then all of sudden the player shuts down, just kind of ruins our movie night routine.

(2)-Panasonic TC-P55VT30 / Yamaha RX-V3800 / Mirage Omni Speakers / Velodyne subs
(1)-Panasonic TC-P55GT30
post #169 of 185 Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst333 View Post
One thing that is i can't stand about this player is the Auto Shut Down, that can't be turned off. It's just insane, we often like to pause and research actors/other movies, and other stuff (food/bathroom). Then all of sudden the player shuts down, just kind of ruins our movie night routine.

Uh oh - it cant be defeated? I might return mine then. I use a Harmony for total system control and cant STAND auto-shut off players that dont allow you to defeat it. Ugh. .

Cant believe I didnt check ahead of time. I always do before buying a player. Damnit.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #170 of 185 Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 104
What would be the ideal settings for watching DVDs and Blu-rays? I just read the Wirecutter recommendations for 4K Blu-ray players and they said the Panasonic UB820 had superior upscaling to the Sony X800, which I also have connected to my B7 LG OLED. I do have the UB420, but the upscaling should be identical since it has the same processor as the UB820, or so I would suspect. Yet, I find that the X800 is cleaner with less noise in the image and less ringing. I am just doing an evaluation by eye with real content, not using any test patterns, but it looks better on the X800. The HDR presentation does looks better on the UB420 though. As my evaluation disc for Blu-ray, I am using Batman The Animated Series. As everyone knows, it is a very dark show with large areas of dark colors. The Sony X800 has a cleaner, sharper image, to me. I played with the UB420's three different built-in profiles and I set it to the one with all options disabled to turn off the extra image processing.
post #171 of 185 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

Quote:
My new UB420 doesn't reliably work for 4k HDR streaming on the built in youtube app. It locks up after a few seconds of playback. Bluray and UHD bluray work fine. (But more on that in the next post).

Can someone try and confirm they have the same problem with the Youtube app, or don’t?

open the youtube app
Search for 4K HDR
Play the Costa Rica 4K HDR clip - its always in the top three search returns. Mine locks up the whole player within 20-30 seconds.

Also the network streaming app interface on my 420 is clunky, clunky, clunky. It seems super slow — as in slower than my 10 year old roku!?!? Animations are terrible when you click on Netflix or Youtube apps and it zooms in - very clunky. Typing interface for searching is super slow. Its like its got too slow a processor. Not sure if that is normal, or I got a bad unit (because of the 4K HDR youtube lockup). The streaming functionality and interface is leaving a really bad taste so far and that was a selling point because of the HDR optimizer and Atmos on Netflix.

Yes its nice to have Dolby Atmos on Netflix, but if this is normal and expected UI operation I’m going to return mine. My $25 Amazon 4K firestick feels like an absolute race car compared to this UB420 app interface — and the UI and app support feels soooooo much more modern. This 420 comes across as bottom of the barrel quality. I’m not sure if my particular unit has an issue or this is normal?
I bought a second one to test and the second one works perfectly fine with the YouTube content. It doesn't lock up and the interface is faster. Not as fast as my 4K Roku, but fast enough to not feel like bottom of the barrel electronics.

I noticed on my original unit that the fan speeds up to super fast mode after a couple minutes of a 4K clip. The new one doesn't do that. In light of this - the original one is certainly faulty - maybe a heatsink wasn't properly mounted? and that's why it overheats, slows down and locks up - while the fan goes into hyper drive.

My original unit shipped with one less version new firmware than the second one - but they were both fully updated for my testing. Same display settings. I can't get the new one to lock up no matter what video I play. To be sure I factory reset the original one and tried Youtube without logging in - still a lock up in a few minutes.

IF YOU GOT A UNIT THAT WON'T PLAY 4K HDR YOUTUBE - TAKE IT BACK BECAUSE IT IS FAULTY.

Since I have one that works now, I can tell you they should all work.

post #172 of 185 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

@pwiss
@Alex1224
@macman

See post immediately above. I'd say take your unit back - it is likely faulty. My second 420 plays the YouTube costa rica 4k HDR clip fine, as well as the 8K HDR clips, -- i can't get it to lock up on anything and the little 40mm fan doesn't spin up like my original one.
macmane likes this.

post #173 of 185 Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Does the Optimiser work on streaming hdr content from Netflix and Prime?

Jack
post #174 of 185 Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought a second one to test and the second one works perfectly fine with the YouTube content. It doesn't lock up and the interface is faster. Not as fast as my 4K Roku, but fast enough to not feel like bottom of the barrel electronics.

I noticed on my original unit that the fan speeds up to super fast mode after a couple minutes of a 4K clip. The new one doesn't do that. In light of this - the original one is certainly faulty - maybe a heatsink wasn't properly mounted? and that's why it overheats, slows down and locks up - while the fan goes into hyper drive.

My original unit shipped with one less version new firmware than the second one - but they were both fully updated for my testing. Same display settings. I can't get the new one to lock up no matter what video I play. To be sure I factory reset the original one and tried Youtube without logging in - still a lock up in a few minutes.

IF YOU GOT A UNIT THAT WON'T PLAY 4K HDR YOUTUBE - TAKE IT BACK BECAUSE IT IS FAULTY.

I just tried youtube with the Costa Rica 4k hdr clip and it played smoothly, the fan was quiet as usual but did not light up the HDR10 icon and the picture settings options indicated sdr. It did look like very good 4k though. Is HDR10 from the youtube app supported by the 420? Maybe a there's a setting I'm missing? I definitely get HDR10 from the 420 with disk.

BTW the fan was quietly putting out warm air during the Costa Rica vid, so I bet you're right about the heat sink.
post #175 of 185 Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@pwiss
@Alex1224
@macman

See post immediately above. I'd say take your unit back - it is likely faulty. My second 420 plays the YouTube costa rica 4k HDR clip fine, as well as the 8K HDR clips, -- i can't get it to lock up on anything and the little 40mm fan doesn't spin up like my original one.
I swapped mine out for the 3rd time and still have the YouTube issue. October then July and now August build. There are perfectly good open box players at a Portland area Best Buy location if someone isn’t concerned about YouTube app playability. I am keeping this one as everything else about the player is fantastic. I can get YouTube on my C8 without issues but just wanted to have the perfect player if possible and it doesn’t look like that is in the cards for me. Maybe it is the fan and maybe firmware and I will monitor future updates.

On a different note I am using the HDMI audio out to my receiver and the other HDMI to my set and music discs and files sound much better than my previous Sony X800. They sound very good with one HDMI cable but I read somewhere where the Panasonic’s have a low clock jitter process on the audio only HDMI output.
post #176 of 185 Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just tried youtube with the Costa Rica 4k hdr clip and it played smoothly, the fan was quiet as usual but did not light up the HDR10 icon and the picture settings options indicated sdr. It did look like very good 4k though. Is HDR10 from the youtube app supported by the 420? Maybe a there's a setting I'm missing? I definitely get HDR10 from the 420 with disk.

BTW the fan was quietly putting out warm air during the Costa Rica vid, so I bet you're right about the heat sink.
My C8 shows the HDR logo on the Costa Rica clip. Ironically around when the footage of the sloth appears it starts to freeze up
post #177 of 185 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Does the Optimiser work on streaming hdr content from Netflix and Prime?
Yes. It works on all HDR content from the player.
post #178 of 185 Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

My C8 shows the HDR logo on the Costa Rica clip. Ironically around when the footage of the sloth appears it starts to freeze up[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
On my C8 I don't get HDR10 to light up on the Costa Rica vid and I pressed HDR setting on the remote while it was playing and got a message that it was only available for HDR material. I also checked Netflix and the same thing with Stranger Things which I figured would default to HDR10, and same thing, no HDR from the two streaming sources.
post #179 of 185 Old Today, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What build is the one that works for u?

post #180 of 185 Old Today, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can't get Dolby Atmos soundtrack to play/display

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it's actually playing and I just don't know, but I can't get the Dolby Atmos soundtracks on any of my 4K discs to play/display on my Denon AV receiver. I select the soundtrack but it only displays as Dolby TrueHD on my Denon display.

I've gone through the settings several times and I'm sure everything is set correctly. Only have 1 HDMI cable plugged into the unit in the Video/Audio HDMI port.

My Denon receiver will display Atmos when using my Apple TV 4K and playing something with an Atmos soundtrack on Disney+ so I know it's configured correctly.

Anyone else having this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page