Panasonic DP-UB420 4K HDR10+ (non-Dolby Vision) Blu-ray Player now available.. - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 404 Old 12-14-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
I gave up with it I got a 4th one and it was the worst of the bunch i returned it and got the ub820 and I'm watching YouTube now and its much better (so far) but try the 4k hdr clip with the wolves in it its 2 of them I believe and that video locked my 420 up relentlessly but so far on the 820 it's been playing like it supposed to

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Best of luck with your new player, I hope it's trouble free for you.

Day four for me after performing the factory reset.

Played Majestic winter wildlife (lots of wolves maybe what you were watching.) in 4k and HDR for a while without freezing up. I checked routers bandwidth usage report and the 420 was sucking down 35Mbps.

So I went to my library in the youtube app and played Life of Pi in 1080p for a bit. Looked good, no glitches and only was using a little over 6Mbps.

Next I switched to the Netflix app and launched Lost in Space in HDR. No freezing and the internet bandwidth usage averaged a little over 20Mbps.

I really don't plan on using the built apps much, I just wanted to make sure I had a working unit.

Hopefully this is helpful info to someone.
toddRiffic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 404 Old 12-14-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post
I setup my ub420. UHD disks show up correctly as HDR. But Netflix does not play in HDR, it shows up as bt.709 SDR. Attaching what I see on my Epson 5040ub info screen. Also attaching my ub420 settings. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my LM-V350
I got HDR from discs but not the apps. A factory reset solved it for me.

It took me about half a dozen tries to press the 3 buttons at once to get it started.

Turn the unit on.
Press and hold [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. “00 RET” is displayed on your display.
Press [►] right repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on your display.
Press and hold [OK] for more than 5 seconds.
toddRiffic is offline  
post #213 of 404 Old 12-14-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Has the 420 been reliable ? How does it compare to the Sony X700 ?

Thanks.
Jim McC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #214 of 404 Old 12-14-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Has the 420 been reliable ? How does it compare to the Sony X700 ?

Thanks.
I think we can call it a reliable disc spinner. As a streamer not so much. The X700 can do dolby vision but there's not to many disc that have dolby vision right now. The HDR optimizer is touted as the killer feature. I couldn't see it actually doing anything with the discs I own. I changed the optimizer setting from OLED as I have a LG C8, to low luminance LCD/projector and it does tame bright areas of the picture without affecting the dark areas of picture. Basically the brighter your display is the less it will do and and the fewer movies that it will do it to. If you got a SDR projector it should kick in quite a bit, super bright HDR LCD not hardly.

Vincent Teoh did the best explanation.

Bunga99 likes this.
toddRiffic is offline  
post #215 of 404 Old 12-14-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
When I decided to try UHD 4K Blu-Ray (mostly for Atmos) I chose the LG UBK90. I've had it about a year and it's worked like a charm. FWIW, it is DolbyVision capable.
However, the recent sales on the Panasonic DP-UB420 have caught my eye. It has mostly rave reviews here at AVS.
We have a 1080p front projector and I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile upgrade.
As I understand matters, the primary benefit of the DP-UB420 is the HDR-->SDR conversion using the "slider" function. This allows HDR to be displayed on an SDR screen. Aparently, the conversion is most helpful for front projectors as they are brightness "challenged".
Also, the scaling algorythm in the UB-420 is supposed to be excellent. That is stepping up DVDs to 1080p etc.
Other than that, I would expect the picture of the LG UBK90 to be on par with the Panasonics.
Is this about right?
Thanks
Well, I got a UB-420 to try out. However, there must be something that I'm missing...
As mentioned above, we have had an LG UBK90 Ultra 4K player for about a year. It works flawlessly with our 1080p front projector. I have a few 4K discs and they all play and display (in 1080p) fine.
However, when I switched out to the new Panasonic UB-420, it would not play the 4K discs on our system. I tried tweaking the various settings for HDMI and video, but still nothing...The UB-420 plays ordinary Blu-rays and DVDs just fine. Just not the Ultra discs. I was looking forward to playing around with the HDR optimizer slider. As I understand it, the UB-420 should down rez the 4K discs (that have HDR) and allow the HDR to be displayed in 1080p. Clearly I'm not understanding the big picture here (HT humor).
Can anyone set me straight?
Thanks
humbland is online now  
post #216 of 404 Old 12-14-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Well, I got a UB-420 to try out. However, there must be something that I'm missing...
As mentioned above, we have had an LG UBK90 Ultra 4K player for about a year. It works flawlessly with our 1080p front projector. I have a few 4K discs and they all play and display (in 1080p) fine.
However, when I switched out to the new Panasonic UB-420, it would not play the 4K discs on our system. I tried tweaking the various settings for HDMI and video, but still nothing...The UB-420 plays ordinary Blu-rays and DVDs just fine. Just not the Ultra discs. I was looking forward to playing around with the HDR optimizer slider. As I understand it, the UB-420 should down rez the 4K discs (that have HDR) and allow the HDR to be displayed in 1080p. Clearly I'm not understanding the big picture here (HT humor).
Can anyone set me straight?
Thanks
I doubt it's it, but page 14 of the manual shows connecting a "2k" projector to the HDMI audio out of the player. It would seem weird if that was it. I would think it's because the projector is getting 4k and you need to set the player to output only 1080p.
toddRiffic is offline  
post #217 of 404 Old 12-14-2019, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post
I doubt it's it, but page 14 of the manual shows connecting a "2k" projector to the HDMI audio out of the player. It would seem weird if that was it. I would think it's because the projector is getting 4k and you need to set the player to output only 1080p.
FWIW, my owner's manual is only 8 pages...
Thanks for the input (so to speak). I could not see how to manually select a 1080p output? I thought that the player would detect the maximum resolution of the display and output for that...
In any case, it does not make sense that it should be connected to the audio HDMI???
I looked online for some ideas but I guess it's too new. Not much out there that I can find.
Is there anyone else here at AVS using the UB420 with a 1080p display?

Last edited by humbland; 12-14-2019 at 10:41 PM.
humbland is online now  
post #218 of 404 Old 12-14-2019, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Well, progress, but sadly, it's limitted.
Thanks toddRiffic. Your response made me think there was more to the picture than meets the eye...I looked at the online manual and it's far more extensive than the one in the box. On pages 14 and 15 it talks about how the UB420 will output 1080p on the Audio Out HDMI, but it will not display 3D or HDR content. Bummer.
Until we make the jump to 4K, the LG is clealy a better fit for our system (HT humor).
humbland is online now  
post #219 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Jeff5347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What's up all... I've been reading thru this thread and the Sony 700 thread as I'm looking at a 4k player. Currently I have a Sony 6700 which only upscales to 4k. My gear is a denon 4400 and a 75" tcl 6 series so I can view all the sources. OK now that's that's out of the way I'm in a mental bind so to speak. I'm torn between do I NEED DV or is HDR10 just as good. I'm starting to buy 4k discs and have a good amount w DV. I've watched streamed movies of dv and HDR10 and since not watching each back to back I don't know if there is a difference. Not saying I can't tell I just haven't researched it. So here it is. I know no price talk but BB has the 700 and 420 at the same price right know. So what is the census ? Is the 420 better in pq quality with hdr than the 700 so forget about the 700 dv...or do you wish you had DV. Curious if there is anyone that had the 700..jumped to the 420 and is glad they did. Appreciate all the help just can't decide

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Jeff5347 is offline  
post #220 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mattg3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,851
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
What's up all... I've been reading thru this thread and the Sony 700 thread as I'm looking at a 4k player. Currently I have a Sony 6700 which only upscales to 4k. My gear is a denon 4400 and a 75" tcl 6 series so I can view all the sources. OK now that's that's out of the way I'm in a mental bind so to speak. I'm torn between do I NEED DV or is HDR10 just as good. I'm starting to buy 4k discs and have a good amount w DV. I've watched streamed movies of dv and HDR10 and since not watching each back to back I don't know if there is a difference. Not saying I can't tell I just haven't researched it. So here it is. I know no price talk but BB has the 700 and 420 at the same price right know. So what is the census ? Is the 420 better in pq quality with hdr than the 700 so forget about the 700 dv...or do you wish you had DV. Curious if there is anyone that had the 700..jumped to the 420 and is glad they did. Appreciate all the help just can't decide

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have the 700 and used it for a year with just dvd and blu ray.Had no issues playing both formats all year with good picture quality. Decided to buy 420 a month ago mainly for 4 k optimizer that works when streaming 4K from Netflix. Well first thing I noticed was a fantastic dvd picture quality, better than the 700 and my Oppo 103. Sound quality also seemed more powerful than 700. Im still in audition stages but I ave a ton of dvds so the 420 is a keeper for me.

Matt
mattg3 is offline  
post #221 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
I have the 700 and used it for a year with just dvd and blu ray.Had no issues playing both formats all year with good picture quality. Decided to buy 420 a month ago mainly for 4 k optimizer that works when streaming 4K from Netflix. Well first thing I noticed was a fantastic dvd picture quality, better than the 700 and my Oppo 103. Sound quality also seemed more powerful than 700. Im still in audition stages but I ave a ton of dvds so the 420 is a keeper for me.
What it your display?
humbland is online now  
post #222 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macmane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Crystal Lake
Posts: 2,184
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
What's up all... I've been reading thru this thread and the Sony 700 thread as I'm looking at a 4k player. Currently I have a Sony 6700 which only upscales to 4k. My gear is a denon 4400 and a 75" tcl 6 series so I can view all the sources. OK now that's that's out of the way I'm in a mental bind so to speak. I'm torn between do I NEED DV or is HDR10 just as good. I'm starting to buy 4k discs and have a good amount w DV. I've watched streamed movies of dv and HDR10 and since not watching each back to back I don't know if there is a difference. Not saying I can't tell I just haven't researched it. So here it is. I know no price talk but BB has the 700 and 420 at the same price right know. So what is the census ? Is the 420 better in pq quality with hdr than the 700 so forget about the 700 dv...or do you wish you had DV. Curious if there is anyone that had the 700..jumped to the 420 and is glad they did. Appreciate all the help just can't decide

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I had the x700 for 2 years and it produced a great picture I love the fluidity of the ui as well on it and I didnt have many freezing issues ( maybe 3 freezes all together) but I didnt like the having to manually switch Dolby on or off but I got used to it so it was whatever. I had this Panasonic player for a week and imo the picture was slightly better on the panny more crisp sharper but nothing mindblowing but I felt the sony had the much better ui being more fluid and the apps were better to me on the Sony. The pannys I had ( I went through 4) all froze when playing youtube vids no matter what some would be worse than others while the sony played everything well ( I only had 1 sony) so my overall experience with the Sony was better but if I'm just talking about picture quality on movies then I give the edge to Panny. Also to mention the sensor to navigate the menus on the panny remote was terrible I always had to arch my hand to change things in my seating position but with the Sony didnt have to but again for the money and overall experience the sony gave me way less headaches but the Pure Picture aspect the Panny was Elite ha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
macmane is online now  
post #223 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Well, progress, but sadly, it's limitted.
Thanks toddRiffic. Your response made me think there was more to the picture than meets the eye...I looked at the online manual and it's far more extensive than the one in the box. On pages 14 and 15 it talks about how the UB420 will output 1080p on the Audio Out HDMI, but it will not display 3D or HDR content. Bummer.
Until we make the jump to 4K, the LG is clealy a better fit for our system (HT humor).
Well I unplugged my 420 from my OLED and took it out to the living room and plugged it into my panny plasma via a Denon X3300. When I powered it on I saw a quick HDCP compliance message that went away too fast to memorize. I tried to play the Bumblebee UHD disc and no matter what setting I tried to change I got a blue screen with the message:

"This ultra hd blu-ray was created specifically for 4k ultra hd displays that support high dynamic range. appropriate equipment and connections are required for an optimal viewing experience."

Pretty surprising the player doesn't play uhd disc on a 1080 display automatically. Even more surprising is it's not intuitive in the settings how to manually set it to do so. Surely someone has figured this out.
toddRiffic is offline  
post #224 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,584
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Plays 1080p automatically for me. Make sure it's set up to output 1080p only.
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #225 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Plays 1080p automatically for me. Make sure it's set up to output 1080p only.
You're saying all you changed is setting the 420 to 1080p only and you can play UHD HDR discs just fine on a 1080 display?

I definitely tried that with mine and it wouldn't play, switched to a 1080 blu-ray and it worked just fine.
toddRiffic is offline  
post #226 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,584
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post
You're saying all you changed is setting the 420 to 1080p only and you can play UHD HDR discs just fine on a 1080 display?
Yep, all UHD discs play perfectly at 1080p. I'll check this evening if there are any other settings i changed.
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #227 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post
You're saying all you changed is setting the 420 to 1080p only and you can play UHD HDR discs just fine on a 1080 display?

I definitely tried that with mine and it wouldn't play, switched to a 1080 blu-ray and it worked just fine.
+1
On our 1080p display, mine will play any DVD or 1080p BR disc. Ultra 4K, not so much.
Funny, because the LG UBK90 will play anything I throw at it, no questions asked...

FWIW, we also have 4 subs (plus Buttkickers) in our living room.
Maybe the 420 just does not like bassheads
humbland is online now  
post #228 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,493
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Folks - I just purchased the ub420 from bestbuy during Thanksgiving and have hooked it up to my projector. I am underwhelmed with image quality and am wondering if I am doing things correctly. I have connected this to a Denon 4400h and an Epson 3800. Can anyone recommend optimal settings I should configure on the player? Also do the built in apps like prime and Netflix support hdr?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Step by Step Theater Build - http://imgur.com/gallery/2tpaSru
My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
My Theater Build Thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html

Last edited by genaccmiller; 12-15-2019 at 04:07 PM.
genaccmiller is offline  
post #229 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mattg3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,851
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
What it your display?
Sony 65 A8F Oled

Matt
mattg3 is offline  
post #230 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
+1
On our 1080p display, mine will play any DVD or 1080p BR disc. Ultra 4K, not so much.
Funny, because the LG UBK90 will play anything I throw at it, no questions asked...

FWIW, we also have 4 subs (plus Buttkickers) in our living room.
Maybe the 420 just does not like bassheads
Well you could give the 420 a factory reset to see if that helps, it certainly fixed my 420's streaming.

I ended with 4 subs due to the research done by Floyd Toole and his crew at Harmon. But I would so disappoint bassheads, I listen at such low volume. I'm at -25dB with Audyssey Dynamic Volume at medium watching the Seahawks game and that's the loudest it will be all week.
toddRiffic is offline  
post #231 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,993
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 377
My Netflix app will not open. I’m connected trough a Denon 4K avr to a JVC x790 4K capable projector. The message, in large type, says I am not hdcp 2.2 compatible. Prime Video plays fine.

Any ideas?

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #232 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toddRiffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
My Netflix app will not open. I’m connected trough a Denon 4K avr to a JVC x790 4K capable projector. The message, in large type, says I am not hdcp 2.2 compatible. Prime Video plays fine.

Any ideas?
At the risk of being a broken record, give the factory reset a try.

Turn the unit on.
Press and hold [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. “00 RET” is displayed on your display.
Press [►] right repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on your display.
Press and hold [OK] for more than 5 seconds.
The unit will power down and you'll need to power it back on and sign back into your streaming services.
toddRiffic is offline  
post #233 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,584
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
My Netflix app will not open. I’m connected trough a Denon 4K avr to a JVC x790 4K capable projector. The message, in large type, says I am not hdcp 2.2 compatible. Prime Video plays fine.

Any ideas?
Set the player to HDCP 1.4 and see if that helps.
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #234 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,993
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Set the player to HDCP 1.4 and see if that helps.
If I set it to 1.4 then the 4k and hdr will not work, right?

Jack
JackB is online now  
post #235 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,584
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
If I set it to 1.4 then the 4k and hdr will not work, right?
No idea, I'm still using a 1080p projector currently. What I can tell you is that I had the same error when I tried using Amazon Prime for the first time and setting the player to HDCP 1.4 resolved it for me.
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #236 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,584
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post
You're saying all you changed is setting the 420 to 1080p only and you can play UHD HDR discs just fine on a 1080 display?

I definitely tried that with mine and it wouldn't play, switched to a 1080 blu-ray and it worked just fine.
Here's my settings. Playing UHD discs at 1080p without issue on my Epson 5030UB:

Player Settings [HDMI]

HDMI: 1080p
4K60p Output: Off
24p Output: Auto
HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode: Auto
HDMI(AUDIO) Output Mode: Audio Only
HDR10+ Setting: On

Advanced Settings

Color Mode: YCbCr (Auto)
Deep Color Output: Auto (12bit Priority)
HDR/Color Gamut Output: SDR/BT.2020 (Auto)
SDR/SDR Conv. (Network Service): Off
HLG / PQ Conversion: Off
HDR TV Type: Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
25p/50p Output: Off
HDCP Output Setting: HDCP1.4 Limit
Contents Type Flag: Auto
Audio Output: On
7.1ch Audio Reformatting: Auto

Depending on your HDTV, I'm thinking you may want to try different settings for Color Mode, Deep Color Output and HDR/Color Gamut Output until you find the one(s) that work for you.
toddRiffic likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 4 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #237 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Here's my settings. Playing UHD discs at 1080p without issue on my Epson 5030UB:

Player Settings [HDMI]

HDMI: 1080p
4K60p Output: Off
24p Output: Auto
HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode: Auto
HDMI(AUDIO) Output Mode: Audio Only
HDR10+ Setting: On

Advanced Settings

Color Mode: YCbCr (Auto)
Deep Color Output: Auto (12bit Priority)
HDR/Color Gamut Output: SDR/BT.2020 (Auto)
SDR/SDR Conv. (Network Service): Off
HLG / PQ Conversion: Off
HDR TV Type: Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
25p/50p Output: Off
HDCP Output Setting: HDCP1.4 Limit
Contents Type Flag: Auto
Audio Output: On
7.1ch Audio Reformatting: Auto

Depending on your HDTV, I'm thinking you may want to try different settings for Color Mode, Deep Color Output and HDR/Color Gamut Output until you find the one(s) that work for you.
From what you are saying, by manually setting the HDMI to 1080p, you were able to view 4K Ultra discs on a 1080p PJ.
FWIW, I can do that now with the LG UBK90.
From the online manual, it appears that HDR content can not be displayed unless it's a 4K PJ or flatscreen.
So, the question is: Can you display HDR content on a 1080p PJ with the 420? If so, were you able to employ the HDR optimizer to manipulate the image?
Thanks
humbland is online now  
post #238 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,584
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Can you display HDR content on a 1080p PJ with the 420? If so, were you able to employ the HDR optimizer to manipulate the image?
HDR is converted to SDR, however I am still able to use the Optimum HDR Adjustment settings -- HDR Optimizer, Dynamic Range Conversion Adj, Brightness, Tone Curve (White), Tone Curve (Black).
toddRiffic likes this.
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #239 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JKR1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
My Netflix app will not open. I’m connected trough a Denon 4K avr to a JVC x790 4K capable projector. The message, in large type, says I am not hdcp 2.2 compatible. Prime Video plays fine.

Any ideas?

Does your Denon receiver have HDMI that is HDCP 2.2 compliant? If not, that could be the issue, and you would have to send a separate HDMI cables from your 420 to the projector for video and the other one to the Denon for the audio.
JKR1963 is offline  
post #240 of 404 Old 12-15-2019, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JKR1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Forgot to say that Panasonic 4k players' Netflix app from the 900 on, seem to want everything downstream from the disc player to be HDCP 2.2 compliant or Netflix will not work......Amazon Prime and other app's have no such restriction. Stupid of Panasonic for sure.
JKR1963 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off