Blu-ray Players with subtitle shift - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2020, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Blu-ray Players with subtitle shift

Subtitle shift is a feature on many players that allows for subtitles to be moved up or down. The feature works as long as the subtitles are not hard coded on the disc. It is a very handy feature that enables you to place the subtitles where you prefer them to be or move them below the screen if there is no off switch. I have a few foreign titles, MacKennas Gold, Barabbas, Mountains of the Moon that do not include an off switch for the subtitles. In those cases I can move the subtitles so they do not appear on the TV screen. The subtitles are still displaying you just can't see them. What I am trying to do is compile a list of players that include subtitle shift.

Players that I know include subtitle shift:

OPPO 105 and 203
Panasonic UB 420 maybe UB 820 and UB 9000?
LG UP870

Please add to the list any additional players you have confirmed include subtitle shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2020, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie6 View Post
Subtitle shift is a feature on many players that allows for subtitles to be moved up or down. The feature works as long as the subtitles are not hard coded on the disc. It is a very handy feature that enables you to place the subtitles where you prefer them to be or move them below the screen if there is no off switch. I have a few foreign titles, MacKennas Gold, Barabbas, Mountains of the Moon that do not include an off switch for the subtitles. In those cases I can move the subtitles so they do not appear on the TV screen. The subtitles are still displaying you just can't see them. What I am trying to do is compile a list of players that include subtitle shift.

Players that I know include subtitle shift:

OPPO 105 and 203
Panasonic UB 420 maybe UB 820 and UB 9000?
LG UP870

Please add to the list any additional players you have confirmed include subtitle shift.
Panny 820 and Sony X800M2 have it for sure. On the Panny 820 you can also change the luminance of the subtitles. If you usually watch movies with the subtitles on, this is a very nice feature. A lot of movies, especially HDR dics, have really bright subtitles.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2020, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Interesting, thanks for posting this.

Does this mean you can shift subtitles into the black bar area on a 16:9 screen playing a scope movie?
That would be the best.

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated in a light controlled room 15.5'x20.5'x8' with MLP 10'-14' from screen
Anthem MRX 510, MiniDSP 2x4HD/WI-DG
Oppo 103d, Apple TV 4K, GIK MBT Panels
Paradigm studio 60, 20 & 10's v5, cc 590, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2020, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Interesting, thanks for posting this.

Does this mean you can shift subtitles into the black bar area on a 16:9 screen playing a scope movie?
That would be the best.
Yes. You can do that with the Pioneer UDP-LX500
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2020, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That is great to hear CalJake. Thank you.
I also have dvd-a and sac's that I enjoy. My 103D is dying and need to get a replacement(s).
The sony/panny/pioneer decision is really tough.
I love the multidisc capabilities of the sony/pioneer but panny seems to be preferred by projector owners.
They are all have available region free mods which I really want also.

I am making the jump to projection and 4k uhd and am having trouble figuring out what the best match for a NX-7 would be.

What display do you use?

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated in a light controlled room 15.5'x20.5'x8' with MLP 10'-14' from screen
Anthem MRX 510, MiniDSP 2x4HD/WI-DG
Oppo 103d, Apple TV 4K, GIK MBT Panels
Paradigm studio 60, 20 & 10's v5, cc 590, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
post #6 of 6 Old 07-03-2020, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
That is great to hear CalJake. Thank you.
I also have dvd-a and sac's that I enjoy. My 103D is dying and need to get a replacement(s).
The sony/panny/pioneer decision is really tough.
I love the multidisc capabilities of the sony/pioneer but panny seems to be preferred by projector owners.
They are all have available region free mods which I really want also.

I am making the jump to projection and 4k uhd and am having trouble figuring out what the best match for a NX-7 would be.

What display do you use?
I am using an LG OLED55C9 for a display. I have an Oppo 103 which now I save entirely for ripping SACDs. With that said, I listen to a lot of multichannel SACDs, so that eliminated the Panasonic. Too many minor things I found not to my liking on the Sony, so it really just came down to a process of elimination. I think we all got spoiled by Oppo. With the Pioneer, keep in mind you're only buying hardware, and for that, it's fine. I haven't had a single problem with any disc, but I don't watch a lot of 4K discs. The software harkens back to a time long, long ago. It's surprisingly poorly designed and implemented for the price of the unit, especially considering there are no apps, WiFi, etc. Biggest annoyance for me is if you have BD-Live set to off, every time you load a Blu-Ray disc, it will tell you that that setting isn't permitted, and you need to change the setting. But just it 'enter' and it's OK. I know, minor, but c'mon, really?

Good luck with your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page