Why are all Samsung players not working?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By mcw53

post #1 of 17 Old 06-22-2020, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why are all Samsung players not working?!

Media reporting all Samsung Blu-Ray or stop playing and theories are it's due to Expired licensing. Can anybody advise, as SAMSUNG mute on global failure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-22-2020, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Sounds like crazy talk, do you have a link to this story?

Also, not sure how it is possible to make all players not work.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | HT PC | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | PSA MTM 210T (FL/FR) | PSA MTM 210C (Center) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (SL/SR/SB) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #3 of 17 Old 06-22-2020, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 490 Post(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
Sounds like crazy talk, do you have a link to this story?

Also, not sure how it is possible to make all players not work.

Samsung Blu-ray players are trapped in a startup loop

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-22-2020, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Not licensing but expired SSL certificate. Just powered up mine and it seems work just fine. So it is not ALL Samsung players.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 Old 06-22-2020, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
While my BD-U5000 and BD-F5700 work fine, the BD-J5100 appears to afflicted with the expired SSL certificate issue. I last used it on Wednesday, 6/17.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Does it work if you disconnect it from the network? (Unplug Ethernet cable or turn off the wifi at the router or ap)?

Seems like the reason why is it can't contact some server.

If it does, then you'd have to disable player network access before reactivating the location wifi. (Yes, I meant turn off the entire wifi network, because obviously you can't get to the player settings until it boots up, so you need to disable wifi entirely to block internet access to the player)
post #7 of 17 Old 06-23-2020, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Does it work if you disconnect it from the network? (Unplug Ethernet cable or turn off the wifi at the router or ap)?

Seems like the reason why is it can't contact some server.

If it does, then you'd have to disable player network access before reactivating the location wifi. (Yes, I meant turn off the entire wifi network, because obviously you can't get to the player settings until it boots up, so you need to disable wifi entirely to block internet access to the player)
In my case, the BD-J5100 is only connected by cable (didn't bother with wifi setup). Tried all the recommended "solutions" (reset by pushing buttons; unplugged the unit from the electrical outlet for over 24 hours then rebooted; also unplugged the ethernet cable then rebooted). Nada.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-27-2020, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 95
This is a major fubar by Samsung . . will they actually incur the expenses associated with correcting this Samsung corporate caused problem for their customers since they abandoned the optical digital media market? They better - if they intend to remain in the AV media/TV market!!

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #9 of 17 Old 06-27-2020, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 82
My 1080p player is working fine (BD-C5500). I don't normally do updates automatically or at first chance to do so, and haven't done any recently (player is not connected to the internet typically). Is it tied to doing an update, and is it 1080p or 4K players? The linked article wasn't that informative.

Living room: Samsung PN60F8500, Sony X800M2, Roku Premiere+, Revel W763, Revel M16, Hsu HB-1 MK2, RSL C34E, Rhythmik D15SE, Denon X4200W; Zone 2: Speaker selector, Yamaha RX-V495 (1999); Bedroom: Panasonic P50U54, Oppo BDP-80, Chromecast Audio, Advent Legacy III (1994), Denon 2310ci; Cabin: Roku 3, NHT Super Zero (1996), Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Denon 1712
post #10 of 17 Old 06-27-2020, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

From what I can tell, it's not because of an update, and it affects a lot of players. Unless Samsung offered an update to many players all at once, it's unlikely to be from an update. It's likely affecting players connected to the internet which is why it is very variable as to which players are affected. Current suspicions are an expired certificate preventing the player from reaching some Samsung server.

Remember Samsung left the player market in 2019 so it's even less likely it's an update since Samsung stopped all support for the players. Given Samsung hasn't even said anything about the issue I doubt they are doing anything about it. If you have an extended warranty it might be time to exercise it.q
post #11 of 17 Old 07-05-2020, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 95
My brother's player is disabled (trapped in a boot loop) with this problem. He said he tried everything including disabling internet access entirely. I sent him a link to a user comment saying you have to call Samsung and they will provide free shipping to a repair center, free repair & free return shipping. He says he called, and thanked me for the info. Hard to believe Samsung would put themselves in this position . . probably something stupid they did because they were dropping out of the optical media market?

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #12 of 17 Old 07-06-2020, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Doubt it. It would be something Samsung would've planned for years if it was and be very unlikely.

Given the current explanation is SSL certificates, it would be something people don't think much about the expiration date of. Even something as simple as a root certificate expiring causes issues. (Ran into this when some embedded downloads failed after May 31 because an old root cert expired then. If you had a browser from the past few years, it worked just fine, but anything older and it failed. That took a few hours to find out.)

Likely the best thing to do is to not connect that replacement player to the internet, or it will likely brick itself again.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just received my blu ray back from Samsung. A vast number of models were affected, all over a period of a couple of days, regardless of if they were connected to the internet or not. Clearly someone at Samsung failed to recognize that something in their firmware was time sensitive, but there is zero information from Samsung on what went wrong. The ssl idea may be right, but it’s just speculation at this point.

I have not plugged it in, I replaced the player with one from Panasonic that is vastly superior. So this is a spare at this point.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The 2YK Bug, 20 years too late
post #15 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 3421
^^^
The Y2.2K bug.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-11-2020, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
I have not plugged it in, I replaced the player with one from Panasonic that is vastly superior. So this is a spare at this point.
You should plug it in and test it. They are probably only giving a very short warrantee for these out of support players, so you want to make sure it's working correctly rather than trying to deal with them 2 years from now.

Mike
post #17 of 17 Old 07-11-2020, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I shipped 2 bricked Blu-ray players to Samsung's NJ repair center on Monday June 29. I got my BD-J5100 back Monday July 6 and my BD-J5700 back Wednesday July 8. All settings were reset to factory and the firmware was upgraded from ver 1020.1 to ver 1021.0. Had to modify a couple audio and video settings and re-enter my wi-fi credentials and my account/password for my apps. Tested YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and VUDU. They are all working as expected. Hope we find out what caused this problem!

Here's the process:

1. Call 1-800-SAMSUNG or CHAT at https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/
2. Describe the problem (e.g. Blu-ray player in a continuous boot loop).
3. They will need your name, phone #, email address, shipping address, model and serial number.
4. They will create a repair ticket and send you a link to print a pre-paid UPS shipping label.
5. Box up your player and drop it off at the UPS Store.
6. In about a week, you will receive your Blu-ray player back with a firmware update. No charge.
teachsac and CalJake like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page